May 18th, 2010

The road to the Nokia Theater begins for 'Idol' Top 3

testing captions
testing captions

8:51 p.m. – Wait, how come we didn't see anything of Lee's hometown visit?

Are we running short on time or did no one show up? That was weird.

Simon chose "Hallelujah" for Lee, and there's the mini-choir! "Idol" uses any excuse to trot out a choir, I swear.

Lee just had the closest thing to a "moment" this show has seen tonight. I felt cheated on the last note though cause he pulled away from the mic like he was about to pass out.

We will see you, like, next week Lee.

8:41 p.m. - Hey, Colin Hanks looking just like your daddy, Tom!

He and co-star Bradley Whitford are in the audience to pimp, umm, I mean represent, their new Fox show "Good Guys."

MamaSox sings Ellen's choice for her, Sir Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed." Love the performance, but it was disconcerting to hear her keep singing "Maybe I'm a man ... "

That messed me up a little bit.

8:30 p.m. - How did they figure out what judges picked what songs for which contestant? Did they draw straws?

Randy and Kara picked John Mayer's "Daughters" for Casey, and I get that it's supposed to make him even more appealing to the young, female voting demographic (is that even possible?), but it was too sleepy for me.

I liked the guitar playing and that has always been Casey's wheel house. It was sweet and yet not enough for me to make me yell at the TV, "That's our American Idol right here."

Frankly, I found the judges arguing at the table more exciting than Casey's performance.

If I were Casey, I would be annoyed right now with Randy and Kara for picking what felt like a swan song.

8:21 p.m. - Lee DeWyze says he wanted to bring some of the energy from his home town visit back with him to the show.

The words "energy" and "Lee" don't go together for me.

He sings Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man," and it's very Nickelback lite. That works for Lee, though.

Everyone is singing songs they like so far tonight when I think they should have been selecting songs that are going to make the fans go crazy.

The judges are going crazy over Lee's performance, which to me is just indicative of what a snoozer this season has been.

8:10 p.m. - All season, I have been saying that Crystal "MamaSox" Bowersox is the one contestant who knows exactly who she is and how to stay in her lane.

Her selection of Melissa Etheridge's "Come to My Window" proves that she "don't care what they say" or "what they think." As she said, she is out here now having fun, and I have to believe it's because she is confident in her status as a front runner.

It didn't knock my (Mama) sox off, but it was all good.

8:03 p.m. – "OK, It's Alright With Me" if it's alright with you Casey James.

Casey looks comfortable back with his guitar. His song choice is pretty smart, in my opinion, as it shows off the easy, breezy, beautiful Casey his fans love.

I'm just nervous for him kicking off the show. When you go first, you really have to knock folks out, and I don't think he did that.

Crazy alert: I agree with Ellen for the first time this season I think. He did not bring it with that performance.

1. Just A Thought

@ Jennifer Justice – what makes you question Crystal's ability as a mother and not the others ability to be a mother or father? Not to mention what does that have to do with AI?

May 19, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Just A Thought

Second – the hometown visits are on results night, not the performance night! It's always been that way – you get the bit where they announce the song choice of the judges, but the rest comes on results night!

May 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Just A Thought

First off – The singers decide thier arrangments!! The singers decide if they want background or not! The judges do not have anything to do with that! Just like before when Lee brought on the bag piper and Crystal had the didgry doo guy! Remember all the comments by the judges – you shouldn't have done that or that was cool what kind of instrument is that! IT'S the singers CHOICE!

May 19, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. We Ba LEE ve

@yo yo yo yo Rigs-thanks for Lee's website i have d/l all the music videos

Yo dog, last night's performance was off the hook man Simple Man was just DOPE dood, just the DOPEST ...And we all loved Simons song choice that was HOT throw it down Hallelujah dog Hallelujah dog...

Lee is in it to WIN it. Lee is in IT to WIN it, with that said you're America's Next American Idol

We Ba LEE ve We Ba LEE ve dog

May 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. FRAN

Appears to me the judges are pushing for Lee to win....haven't we all heard "Hallelujah" enough on AI? He did an ok job but nothing great which last night all the performances should have blown us away and they didn't.
    I think Ellen's song choice for Crystal was awful it's a song for a man it was almost like sabotage! My vote is for Crystal I like Lee but just don't think he's got "IT". Casey could have gone home weeks ago and it wouldn't have made a difference. I am grateful Big Mike is gone he was a snooze-fest every week. This was by far the worst season not one performance was outstanding except for the duo with Crystal and Lee.
    COME ON CRYSTAL SHOW EM WHAT YOU GOT!!!!

May 19, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Topsytail

I think Lee and Crystal were both great last night. Casey didn't do very good but he's getting the votes from the young crowd who swoon over him, which is not fair. I wish the judges could make the final decision. I think Lee will win, although Crystal is very good, she's going to go places, she's a real sweetheart. with a lovely voice. I don't care about her hair and makeup, that's her choice, it's her voice that counts. It didn't stop Lady Gaga or Madonna from becoming popular. It's quite obvious that Simon likes Lee. I hope Kara and Ellen aren't going to be judges anymore, now that Simons leaving, they need a new panel of judges.

JMO.

May 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rebecca

I agree that they didn't show enough of the hometown visits. Lee did his mini-concert at Arlington Park Racetrack and over 40,000 people were there. I know because I was at the track the next day and all the staff were talking about it. Why did they just show him sitting in a plane?

May 19, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BETTER ODDS THAN VEGAS

I saw a werewolf named Crystal with a Chinese menu in her hand,
    Singing "maybe she was a man" on the streets of Soho
    She was looking for the place called Lee Da'Man Fook's,
    Going to get a big dish of beef chow mein.
    Ahhwooooo... Werewolves of London, Ahwooooo!
    Ahhwooooo... Werewolves of London, Ahwooooo!

May 19, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dr2mom

This should be the last year for this tiresome show. Those that have made it to the final are ok, but not fantastic. I can see/hear better in Hoboken or NYC on any given night of the week. Casey did his standard thing, and managed to pick another snoozer of a song for himself. Kara and Randy actually did him no favors with that sappy John Mayer "Daughters" song, either. When Crystal broke out the Melissa Etheridge song, I really thought to myself, hasn't she done this before??? Seems like it to me. It was ok, not great. Found the lyrics on the Paul McCartney song disconcerting for Crystal to be singing....thanks, Ellen. Not great. Lee's choice for himself was fine...I actually think he did his best on that song, and not on that "Hallelujah" song which I have heard far too many times lately. Marching out the choir with full orchestration was way over the top. Just let the kid sing it, it would have been fine. It figures Simon would pull out the "schmalze".....have you ever heard his pet project, "Il Divo"? I think Crystal may be the better singer, but Lee is going to win.

May 19, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Michael

“Hallelujah” for Lee Dewyze – I think we can say that was the performance of the season. It gave me shivers like Carrie Underwood’s “Alone” or David Cook’s “Always Be My Baby” – one of those rare “season moments.” It truly made me feel like this season has started to materialize (it only took 5 months). With the finale looking more than ever like a Lee-Crystal duel, could a Casey upset be waiting in the wings? Is the “cougar vote” that powerful? http://thesmogger.com/2010/05/19/idol-hangover-the-final-three-perform/

May 19, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lesley

If Simon likes an artist= Lee- he will come in second. Same with Susan Boyle and the country singer Kevin from last season. He will offer a better contract. Its all political entertainment! But hey, Lee is good, he just needs to work on smiling and interacting with his audience! My vote would be for Crystal!

May 19, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. DJS

Imagine when you hear a comedian picks your song??!!! I would be ticked.
    I like Lee, but the last song was drowned out by all that music.
    I don’t know how Casey lasted this long. Smile and unbutton your shirt? I thought this was a singing contest!!
    Lee is not great. Limited range.
    Crystal is the best pure singer of the bunch.
    Now we will see! Adam should have won last year. Doughtry definitely should have won. So you never know.

May 19, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Diane

Crystal wil take it

May 19, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Don't judge me

@ Jennifer Justice I think Lee and Crystal will be the ones to go toe to toe. Crystal is probably more talented, but I think I'm rooting for Lee. Something about Crystal turns me off...

May 19, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cathy Torino

I don't think that it was really fair what
    Simon did with Lee last night. The singers in the background the orchestra and him playing the guitar. I know that Lee is a very good singer nd performer, but, it seemed like it was a set up to help him win. Why didn't Casey and Chrystal get that kind of treatment?

May 19, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Debra

Lee will be the next American Idol!

May 19, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kristin

Hmmm who will be the final 2? I really don't care anymore. Didn't watch last night and didn't miss it a bit. This season started out incredibly boring and it just keeps getting worse.

May 19, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  18. Aurora

I think Crystal is the only one with real talent. But... if she wants to be a star she shuld do something with her hair. Annoying!!!

May 19, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jennifer Justice

Crystal is going to win and probably justly so. She is by far the best singer left and this is a singing contest. However, something about this girl is shady. Am I the only one who senses this? I'm curious about her history and what kind of mother she is. She seems pretty hard-core and I don't care for these types of individuals becoming role models for our kids. I miss Big Mike. I thougth he was awesome from the very beginning. I don't understand why more people weren't feeling that.

May 19, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  20. Grdngoat

I get the feeling that Casey doesn't really care to win. He's had his exposure and he's done. He's not really wanting to win this and be tied to American Idol for the next million years or so.

I think Lee feels the same and is terrified he may win it as well. American Idol will have their hand in the winner's bank account for years to come. All three are wanting to be seen and recognized but then head back home and start their career with what American Idol helped to fuel.

No one gave me the feeling they were at all motivated by a win. They seem like they are just going through the motions devoid of all emotion. Guess we will see next week.

May 19, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  21. Brenda

I think Casey needs to go tonight. As for Lee. Maybe he can sing, but he is not a great singer. And he brings about as much to hs performaces as a wooden dime store indian. He has NO on stage personality or charisma and his looks don't help him any. He just comes out and sings and has never put on a "performance". While Crystal is not (at present) a Bonnie Raitt or a Melissa Etheridge, she is far and away better than either Lee or Casey.

May 19, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  22. blo199

Lee's range is so limited and he's often out of tune. And let's face it, he's boring (or maybe he just comes across as boring because he's inarticulate). Unlike Lee, when Crystal sings and speaks, you want to keep listening to her. Casey's great to watch and an amazing guitar player. I'd pick him over Lee.

May 19, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  23. oraclexin

Lee is the one! He is so much more artistic than Crystal. All songs Crystal performed sounded the same.

May 19, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  24. GH

Please... tell me the "judges" didnt set Casey up to get the boot. All season they were whining about NOT seeing more of the "rocker" and then they hand him something as lame as "Daughters" on the Semi-Finals night??

And Im soooo tired of this Dopey "Aww Shucks" look from Lee. Not to mention the slobbering the "judges" give him each week.

Should anyone be shocked at Ellen's pick for Crystal. She didnt even flinch and crushed it out of the park. Try giving, "Man, I Feel like a Women" by Shania to Lee.

May 19, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  25. ill

not news! dumb bullmess!
    stuff like this shouldn't be on any "news" site...

May 19, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  26. Wendy

They all sounded good and they should be proud of what they have done! ANYONE could take this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 19, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  27. Dan R

All the criticism this year is unwarranted. The final two of Lee and Crystal will be one of the best they've ever had.
    BOTH are better than Taylor Hicks, Katherine McVee, Kris Allen, Jordin Sparks and Blake.

May 19, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  28. Bob

Casey should have been dumped weeks ago. He is a much better guitar player than a singer. Lee has come a long way since the first audition. Crystal should win the whole thing. She has easily been the most
    consistently great singer since the season began. She is one of the very best singers the show has ever produced.

May 19, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  29. mainehunter

Siobhan should be here. The voting system is bogus. American Idol sucks. I haven't watched it since Siobhan was sent packing. I used to be a big fan of the show. The Evening News is a more exciting program.

May 19, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  30. medgiem

wanted to hear krystal sing judds song...tell me bout the good old days...

May 19, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  31. R.

Crystal has been a star from day one. She was always way out front.

May 19, 2010 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  32. Lee fan

It's easy. Our next American Idol is Lee DeWyze.

May 19, 2010 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  33. dogs rule

Mamasox is a cold fish. Same old screech every week, not to mention a disaster to look at. After Casey goes home, hopefully all those votes will go to Lee. He ROCKS!!!

May 19, 2010 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  34. Cathy

STILL LOVE CASEY! Go Casey

May 19, 2010 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  35. Trebor

I was at Lee's "hometown visit" as I am from Mt Prospect and the turn out for Lee was huge. When I saw on TV how few people were shown for Casey and Crystal, it was embarrassing. Maybe that's why they didn't show Lee's crowd. It was overwhelming and lot's of fun. They had a great parade that made it's way to Arlington Park racetrack where he sang around 10 songs for over 40,000 people. His tickets sold out in minutes and thousands of people were turned away. He by far had the biggest crowd.

May 19, 2010 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  36. pin2win

Mama Sox all the way. She is a true artist, no matter what she sings!!
    I slept through Caseys....oops, not really, but he was boring tonight.
    Lee did the best tonight, but still don't think he can win over Crystal.

May 19, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  37. CoffeyCup

I miss Siobhan. She didn't scream every song – Wicked Game, House of the Rising Sun – no screams in those. At least she could give a performance.

Tonight, for a lead up to the finale, that was a bunch of limp songs. Shouldn't they be doing songs that get people off their feet?

The obvious pimping of Lee is a turn off. The gospel choir and band drowned him out and really did him no favors.

May 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Rigs

Lee performs Simple Man better than Shinedown does it....

All Lee fans you can d/l videos for all his performances at his fan's page at

May 18, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Rigs

AMAZING PERFORMANCE FROM LEE TONIGHT...HE DIDNT JUST WIN TONIGHT "LEE CRUSHED THE OTHER TWO"

I WOULD OF NEVER PICKER HALLELUJAH IN A BILLION YEARS BUT WOW THAT WAS TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

LEE IS YOUR NEXT AMERICAN IDOL

May 18, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Don't judge me

Joseph T. Yes, Lee reminds me of a young Billy Joel.

May 18, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Joseph T.

"oops" about Crystal. ...She had bad luck this evening in that Ellen – god bless her – gave her a "man's song" to sing. It was kinda weird to hear Crystal singin' how she's a "man" in the song. Crystal should have sung another Janis Joplin song. "Cry Baby" would have been my favorite of Janis' for Crystal to have sung tonight.

May 18, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Joseph T.

Well, I think that Casey has beautiful hair and he sings pretty safe to his comfort zone, but I never had a problem with him because what he does is nice. Lee reminds me of a young Billy Joel. His singing is done really – well it's second-nature to him. It's impossible for him to hit a wrong note. He really can do better than show up in jeans and dirty gym shoes every night though. Casey always looks nice. And Crystal is also a good singer.

May 18, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  43. sue cerny

J ~ THANK YOU!! I usually don't comment on Lisa's remarks, but I can't let this pass!! Are you kidding me, no one showed up?!?!? 41,669 people were IN Arlington Park to see Lee & many more outside who couldn't get in!! There were road blocks everywhere because of the fans. He may not be your favorite as you have noted quite frequently lately, which is fine, but that comment was ridiculous!! Crystal is great & no doubt deserves to be in the top two but Lee has come along way & deserves to be there, also. And Barbara, were you watching the show at all?? All three briefly had hometown showings. And sorry, Casey should have gone weeks ago!

May 18, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Don't judge me

I forgot to mention that in past shows, Simon slammed one of the male singers for singing a "woman's" song. Noticed he didn't say anything to Crystal for singing a "man's" song...

May 18, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Don't judge me

I'm sorry but I didn't like Crystal's songs. First, "Come to My Window" is a lesbian love song! Second, another love song with a twist Ellen's choice "Maybe I'm Amazed". It just seemed wrong being sung by a woman (lyrics "maybe I'm a man" and "I'm a man and you're the only woman") WHAT is going on here? I feel uneasy that Crystal is promoting a gay agenda tonight. Who is behind this?

May 18, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Snowball

The always show the hometown visit stuff on results night. Tonight they just showed the Idols finding out the songs the judges picked for them.

I'm a Crystal fan, but I like Lee and Casey too. I think Lee got a real break that Simon picked his song. It's one that is a winner all the way. I think Crystal would have killed that song too. It kinda reminded me of Season 5 when Simon picked Somewhere Over the Rainbow for Kat McPhee. That's one of the easiest songs to sing that there is, and she nailed it. But, it was a perfect song for her to sing. My Season 5 hero Elliott lost out making the finals because of that song.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying this season and look forward to what remains of it. Cheers everyone

May 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  47. carrie

The hometown footage is generally shown on the results night...we should see alot of each of their visits home tomorrow night.

May 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  48. ashdal

I think we will see all the hometown stuff tomorrow.
    I thought Lee was the best tonight and got my votes!!!

May 18, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Rikk

Casey should not even be on the stage How he is there and Big Mike is not is stunning. Lee just put the line in the sand, Crystal and Lee 4 the showdown....... Lets send Casey home

May 18, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Euphy

Amazing the way the judges beat on the contestants weekly for their poor song choices and then Randy and Kara stuck a knife in Casey's chances with a sleeper. The worst song of the night was the one that they picked for him... boring, "pitchy", unmemorable – a one-way ticket off the show.

May 18, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  51. J

Lisa, why can't you just give Lee a moment and admit that he was better than Crystal? Why all the talk of how boring this season has become? Lee is a gifted singer – they all are – and the judges recognized that he did well. You've really become a bit jaded, and you need to give him a little credit. I liked his performance. It gave me goose bumps. He's the only contestant this season who's showed serious improvement - you gotta admit that Crystal has been consistent but hasn't really improved at all. And why are you always picking on this season for being boring? Is this season seriously worse than watching the Jordin Sparks/Blake Lewis season? Remember Latoya? Was that her name? Watching that was more entertaining than what we saw in the top four last week? Or in the top three this week? Seriously? If you're that bored with the show, maybe you should retire and give your job to Michael Slezak from Entertainment Weekly because quite frankly, your play by plays are feeling a little sleepy to me. Slezak gives a better analysis anyway. Oh, and to answer your question about whether anyone showed up to Lee's hometown performance, Lee's home town visit's mini concert sold out of 41,000 tickets in nine minutes.

May 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  52. krubby

you take an average (at best) performer in Lee, add some lights and a chior and then listen to him butcher it anyways and that is a great performance.

sorry, NOT in my book

May 18, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Chauncey

Casey is clearly out of his league and should not have been in the bottom three. Although I like Crystal, Lee proved tonight that he is without a doubt the better singer and performer but when it gets down to the final two, who knows who will win...just ask Adam Lambert!!!!

May 18, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  54. krubby

nash – just figured out what you are trying to do. way to TRY to get folks to dial #9 just to get a vote for lee.

nice try.. but no dice

crystal should win this thing

May 18, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  55. gigi

This by far is the worst season of Idol, especially after last season with Adam Lambert and Kris in the finale. I enjoy watching the singers on Glee immensely and the contestants on Idol have zero excitement. I feel Idol has jumped the shark, and along with Simon's exit, the show should retire.

May 18, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  56. krubby

nash – there are only 3 people left, so there isn't a contestant #9. dialing #9 gets a vote for Lee (#3).

May 18, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  57. EXACTAMAN

As I have said before in these comments, Casey just doesnt have what they call the WOW factor. He is good. He plays the guitar and sings well, but he is not blowing anyone away. Crystal did just ok for her but few people can match her in what she did tonight. I thought Lee did good but not as well as the judges said. On the final notes in his last song I thought he was very pitchy and weak. The bottom line is that Casey is gone and it comes down to Lee and Crystal in the final show down........Look for Crystal to knock your SOX off. No pun intended.

May 18, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  58. dogs rule

LEE! LEE! LEE! Lee rocks!
    Crystal sucks.
    End of story

May 18, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Nashbro

BIG PROBLEM W VOTING!!! I DIALED IN AND VOTED IN FOR #9, THEN I REDIALED (PUSHED LAST DIALED # ON PHONE) TO VOTE A 2ND TIME AND THE AUTOMATED MESSAGE SAID ":THANKS FOR VOTING FOR CONTESTANT #3" !!! THATS WAY BAD! WHATS UP? THEN I CALLED AGAIN! JUST TO CHECK IT OUT, AND IT DID IT A SECOND TIME, SOMETHINGS WRONG, SOMEONE NEEDS TO CHECK IT OUT,EVERYONE "REDIAL" AND SEE IF THEY HAVE THE PROBLEM.

May 18, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  60. mozart4898

For me, when Lee went higher (and louder) the pitch problems came through again – he was flat in quite a few spots. Then again, I do have an overly critical ear for pitch...I've had to actually plug my ears when Lee has sang in the past because it was so far off.

May 18, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  61. michele

lee knocked that right out of the water wtg lee

May 18, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Barbara P

Ooooh, on that closing song recap, where I know they use the rehearsal footage for the last singer, Lee was really off key. Hmmm.

May 18, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  63. protogere

I agree with you Lisa, usually they really show a lot more of their hometown visit – maybe they are saving it for tomorrow night.

May 18, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Barbara P

Where was Lee's hometown footage?

May 18, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  65. protogere

I disagree with you for a rare moment here mozart, I think that really allowed Lee to show his control and range and the strength of his voice.

May 18, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Judi

Ick they are totally trying to sell Lee's performance as being fantastic, when Jason Castro did a better job with it. Lee is still boring, as are all of them actually.

May 18, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  67. willyboy

Heaps of praise from the judges- and well deserved--

May 18, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  68. mozart4898

Meh...Lee's having some of his typical pitch problems again. Not as bad as they've been at times, but I really didn't think he sounded that great. The choir was more about show than anything else, and then to top it off, he kinda swallowed words when they came out, letting them carry parts of the melody. I think it's worthy of getting him to the final 2, but not as impressive as they're making it out to be.

Don't agree with the all out praise from the judges. Just really seems they're trying to promote him as their winner now – it wasn't that incredible. Just ok.

May 18, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  69. protogere

Simon has such a talent for selecting the great songs and arrangements for contestants, and he's done it again. I really love the arrangement for this classic, it allowed Lee to showcase one of his great skills – singing through a crescendo. That was beautiful.
    I definitely think unless Casey's fans help him out, he'll be gone tomorrow. I think with that performance by Lee, he's secured the top two. That was powerful.

May 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  70. willyboy

Lots of applause for Lee– lots more than Casey-

May 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Barbara P

Lee's doing great – but I don't think he's gonna get the top spot. It might get him through to next week, though. Better than I expected.

May 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  72. ike Canada

Lee is out of this world
    I think he will ultimately win this thing. WOWOWOWWOWO

May 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Judi

Oh no, Hallelujah AGAIN??? For real this song needs to be retired from Idol.

May 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  74. willyboy

Well, well! Lee is doing very, very well on the song- I think he's just cemented the other spot in the finals!

May 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  75. michele

she's boring thats why

May 18, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  76. protogere

Michele, all of them are allowed to scream if they desire and aside from one or two performances, Siobhan did every time. Why do you dislike Crystal so much?

May 18, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Barbara P

@Mozart – you're right; I hadn't thought of that. I feel better for her – thanks!

May 18, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  78. willyboy

Judges really liked her performance– THANK you Ellen!!!!

May 18, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  79. mozart4898

@ Barbara – Crystal's hometown has 75 residents. Toledo, the nearest large city is 300,000. Chicago, where Mount Prospect's close to, is 3,000,000. Might have a slight effect on crowds.

May 18, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  80. protogere

Great song choice for Crystal and she certainly gave a great performance. Most of Paul's song leave a lot of room for changing the tempo and arrangements and she took full advantage of that.

I think she gave a lot of the power and grit that she should have given to the Come to My Window song as well, but this was certainly the better of her two songs. I liked that she walked away from her guitar and the stage and allowed herself to interact with the audience.

That was great.

May 18, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Barbara P

I loved that Crystal sang it as a man.... it was really great. Her voice is something awesome.

May 18, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  82. michele

oh gee crystals allowed to scream but sioban wasn't??????

May 18, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  83. mozart4898

Ahhhh! There we go, someone actually has a pulse tonight. Love that she got into the song some finally, first one of the night. And she wasn't just anchored in one spot either. Again, the best we've heard of her – no, but that was great to see.

May 18, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  84. willyboy

Crystal just cemented a place in the final!

May 18, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  85. protogere

Did you catch Kara's beachy little face yabbering on as they cut back from Crystal's video clip? Wow she looked irritated and animated about something.

May 18, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Barbara P

It feels kinda sad that there aren't big crowds out for Casey and Crystal.

May 18, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  87. willyboy

If the judges/producers/etc wanted Casey, i'm sure that they would have chosen a better song-

May 18, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  88. mozart4898

Oh man how I'm hoping Crystal brings it. This night really feels sleepy, which is weird given it's top 3. And I don't usually say that about any of the shows.

May 18, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Barbara P

Did Randy just say "As you leave the show....."? And he picked the song? I'm not pushing Casey... Lord, are any of them really knocking us over?... but it seems they want it to turn out Crystal and Lee. I don't know – don't know if the public is going to buy in.

May 18, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  90. protogere

Simon brought up a good point, that they should have chosen a song that showcased his vocals instead of a guitar solo.

May 18, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  91. willyboy

Sorry, I just don't like the way he sings at all, he really sounded like he was sleeping.

May 18, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  92. protogere

That was a very beautiful vocal performance by Casey, but he showed zip zilch zero originality, he sounded like he was mimicking a John Mayer performance right up until he decided to showcase his guitar playing skills.
    Overall, I'm not impressed. He continues to lean heavily on his crutch, he isn't really performing (but then again, which of them does?) and it vocally was so blah.

May 18, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Barbara P

Loved Casey's performance. I think they set him up to fail, but he didn't.

May 18, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  94. mozart4898

Casey sounds good on Daughters. Not "blow you away" good, but this isn't a "blow you away" sort of song. I don't know if it'll be enough to get people to vote him into the final 2 though. It gives you an idea of the sensitive side of Casey, which, like they said seems to be the side that works for him. I dunno. We'll see.

May 18, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Bri

Casey's song didn't blow me away, but it's the kind of music he likes and performs well. I am sick of the judges and their hypocritical remarks. They tell one contestant that they suck because they didn't do anything different, then praise another by telling them they stick to who they are. Make up your minds about what you want. They all annoy me.

Lee was good, but a little flat in spots.

May 18, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  96. willyboy

Sorry, casey. you just don't have it-- he's singing like he's asleep!

May 18, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Barbara P

Crystal is by far the better singer – I love what she does with just the sounds she makes between lyrics – that's so someone who is feeling the music. Lee is a solid rocker, but I just don't think he's that dynamic. I think it's gonna be Crystal and Casey. Crystal for her voice, Casey for his personality. Might be wrong, but that's what it feels like. In some ways, Crystal is a bit too "I don't care" – you can tell she does by some of the things she says.

May 18, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  98. James S.

Ouch. Skynyrd. Not many people can pull that off successfully.

May 18, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  99. protogere

I don't know that Lee will win, he has had quite a few weak weeks and Crystal – of these three – is the only one who has been consistent since the start. I think Crystal's difficulty will be connecting with the audience who might not 'like' her but still manage to keep her fans in tow. I think back to Adam Lambert last year, he was great at that. He'd come out and give a wacky Ring of Fire type performance that his fans loved and then a week later with the beautiful take of Tracks of My Tears that had even non-fans taking notice. Crystal has to learn that, but it's pretty late in the game to learn that now.

May 18, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  100. willyboy

well, we'll have to see how the judges choices go- I'm probably gonna have to vote really heavy tonite :)

May 18, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  101. ike Canada

We are getting to the wire. Lee can win this thing guys
    That was amazing. Good Job

May 18, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  102. willyboy

He did do a pretty good job with the song, he didn't slip out of pitch once.

May 18, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  103. mozart4898

I agree about the night after night performances...I've never gotten why that does that much to their voices because pros do it all the time.

I knew there'd be a lot of judge's pimping for Lee's performance. I'm really worried Crystal is going to get buried in the comments of the judges tonight.

May 18, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  104. protogere

I think that Lee really is the best of the three after that performance. It was really charged up and he didn't play around with the arrangement or vocals so much that I got lost listening to it.

May 18, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  105. willyboy

Judges seem to think that Lee will be the winner-

May 18, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  106. mozart4898

Huh. Lee found the pitch. That's kinda scary, throws a new twist into things.

I really didn't think it felt like he did much with it, but it was solid. Really, none of the 3 seemed to bring much to their own choices as far as I'm concerned.

May 18, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  107. protogere

They will be performing night after night for hours on end, some performers put on 100-200 concerts a year for 1-2 hours a night. Twenty songs over a three day weekend should be something they are vocally prepared for already and I fail to buy that excuse – not that they are offering it up as one, but this is something after twelve weeks I would hope that they are vocally prepared by this point to sing that often a day, much less over a weekend.
    What willy said is the point, this will show who is the winner – winner or not.

May 18, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  108. scott

they are very boring

May 18, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  109. willyboy

Doing "simple man" well, lets see-not bad, but not a knockout (to me)

May 18, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Barbara P

You know, that "OK is Alright with Me" is really Casey's anthem. I think it was a smart choice. I kinda have the feeling that at least Casey and Crystal are "we're doing what we want – like it or don't like it, it's us" – I'm kinda liking that.

May 18, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  111. willyboy

Yea, I expected that the whirlwind hometown tour would affect them to an extent, it's how they deal with it that will show the true winner.

May 18, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  112. mozart4898

@ protogere – The word that I've heard is that they're all stuggling with some wear and tear on their voices, especially after their hometown visits. Plus, the spoilers I've read make it sound like she tears up her judge's choice song, so she may have been saving what power she had for that performance. She did at least 15 songs last Thursday/Friday around Toledo. Lee I know did at least 11. I don't know how many Casey did, but quite a few too. So that may have an effect.

May 18, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Jason from Hollywood

Blonde dude's gonna win. The guy on the left can braid the other guy's hair while on tour...As for Cyndi Lauper up there, she's ok but she isn't as marketable as the guy on the right....Sorry guys, the contest honestly comes down to looks and the votes are tallied as a business, that's why they don't reveal their counting techniques on the show...

May 18, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  114. willyboy

Definitly better than casey- will have to see what Lee chose- but i'm still voting for Crystal, she's just the better singer–

May 18, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  115. protogere

Chris, I didn't think he had a bad night, he performed exactly the same way he has all season long.

May 18, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Chris Kirkpatrick

Unfortunately, this is not a good time for Casey to have a bad night...

May 18, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  117. willyboy

simon liked the way Crystal sang it, but still "damming with faint praise"

May 18, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  118. protogere

She could have done without the last strains of the harmonica, it was nice in the beginning but...
    She did well, but I don't think Crystal gave Crystal her due with that song. I would have expected a much stronger grit from Crystal instead of straining so hard to hit notes. She's given growl before, so I'm not sure why she avoided it this time.

May 18, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  119. willyboy

Randy didn't like the arrangement, but liked the song total

May 18, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  120. mozart4898

Well, I'm not sure if that's a great Crystal performance, but I mean...it was interesting. I think the harmonica was a nice little touch, made it a little more individual. Let's see how that contrasts with what she does later.

May 18, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  121. willyboy

So far I like it!

May 18, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  122. protogere

She has a chance to knock this out of the park vocally. We shall see.

May 18, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  123. willyboy

here we go- back with the harmonica "come to my window" should be good for her--

May 18, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  124. mozart4898

I've read some spoilers of Crystal's performance, I'm both excited and scared to death of this...

May 18, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  125. willyboy

Crystal next– hope she chose a better song-

May 18, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  126. willyboy

Lousy lousy lousy. Casey seems to just be "happy to be here" not voting for him at all

May 18, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  127. mozart4898

Yeah...that was really not a good choice for Casey. I mean, it was sorta like "oh...did the show start?" It was ok, but ok just won't cut it at all at this point.

May 18, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  128. protogere

I didn't really like Casey's first performance – was it gospel, reggae, country, pop, blues? It was all over the place genre wise and it was overkill for me. I don't mind hearing a song get switched up here and there, but it was everywhere.
    That being said, I agree that this was just too casual of a song to be a top three performance. I'm not impressed.

May 18, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |