May 18th, 2010

Shia LaBeouf admits he dropped the ball on 'Indiana Jones'

If anything, Shia LaBeouf is honest.

The 23-year-old told reporters at the Cannes International Film Festival that the last time he starred in a sequel, 2008’s “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,” he dropped the ball.

True, the flick earned $787 million worldwide, a blockbuster by studio standards, but there were problems with it, LaBeouf said, and that challenged him when he took on another popular film sequel, this year’s “Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.”

“I feel like I dropped the ball on the legacy that people loved and cherished,” LaBeouf told the newspaper. “If I was going to do it twice, my career was over. So this was fight-or-flight for me.”

He said that he didn’t think the film fooled anyone, and he blamed his acting skills – not the writers or director Steven Spielberg.

“You get to monkey-swinging and things like that and you can blame it on the writer and you can blame it on Steven. But the actor’s job is to make it come alive and make it work, and I couldn’t do it. So that’s my fault,” he said. “I think the audience is pretty intelligent. I think they know when you’ve made ... . And I think if you don't acknowledge it, then why do they trust you the next time you're promoting a movie.”

He also said Harrison Ford wasn’t too happy with the film.

“We need to be able to satiate the appetite,” he said. “I think we just misinterpreted what we were trying to satiate.”

But will saying any of this get him in trouble with Spielberg?

“I’ll probably get a call. But he needs to hear this. I love him. I love Steven. I have a relationship with Steven that supersedes our business work. And believe me, I talk to him often enough to know that I’m not out of line," the actor said. "I would never disrespect the man...He’s done so much great work that there’s no need for him to feel vulnerable about one film. But when you drop the ball you drop the ball.”

1. Barb

I thought he was one of the LESS bad parts of the movie – which SUCKED and ruined a grand bit of movie history.

November 17, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Darrian

I haven't seen the movie and wasn't even aware it existed, but I am SO looking forward to Transformers 3. My little 5 year old boy loves Optimus Prime and it will be awesome to get to see this on in the theater (the first two we didn't see til they were long since already on DVD). We instantly forgot about Spiderman after three long years of nothing but the witty web-slinger day in and day out. He took one look at the Autobots and Optimus Prime and hasn't touched his collection of Spiderman media since.
    As for Shia, I think he is the self-critical type, very hard on himself about his work and it most likely bugs and nags at him when he believes he didn't do well enough on something no matter how long ago it was. The reporter he said that to probably happened upon him after a bout of beating himself up again over his (as he sees it) less than perfect performance. I wonder if he is a Virgo. I am. We tend to be neurotic because we must be perfect and everything we do must be perfect, but that's impossible, thus the neurotic tendency.
    Shia is alright. My son and I have developed a fondness for both he and Megan Fox because the Autobots care for them so much. If Bumblebee loves him, then so do I!

November 12, 2010 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. The Listener

The movie wasn't bad. The audience might have had unreasonably high expectations based on the previous films. Indiana Jones movies are generally of the action-adventure genre. Putting aliens in the movie really wasn't a good idea. That changed the genre to science fiction which some fans probably didn't care for.

November 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. wjmknight

I liked Shia's performance, I thought the script sucked. The Ark of the Covenant, drug-addicted temple slaves, nazis, I can handle, but freakin' aliens? Shia is falling on his sword to save Spielberg. but there's no need buddy.

November 8, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Steve

When the film makers are dumb enough to make the kids entrance into the film replicate Marlon Brando in "The Wild One" then failure is certain. Come on. Dont ruin Brandos legacy. Wats more, if i where Shia I woulda been very disturbed to be thrown into that role the way they through him in it. Not a bad actor i dont think. Just dont understand why he is such an A list commodity. Its not like hes Dustin Hoffman or anything. Funny, a long while ago i read an article where he was said to be the next Dustin HOffman. Had to have been his publicist.

September 22, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bruhn

Well, you all know me as a very loyale Indiana Jones-Fan and expert. If you really love Indy – you muste "Skull".

It's an ANTI-Indiana Jones-Movie. Indy is out of character, Marion is out of character, Aliens *LOL*, a son *LOL*, a marriage *LOL*, no real stunts, implausible action-scenes, lame humor, to much CGI, no violence and-and... I'm very glad for the worldwide hate and I'm proud of the Indy-Fandom For us real Indy-Fans "Crusade" is still the end.

May 27, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jerrad

I didn't have a problem with Shia LaBeouf's acting. The Russian idea was good some of the Russian character's a little cheese but good.

The writing sucked, the whole idea sucked, the indy movies are fantasy but the whole alien thing just sucked. The CGI sucked don't get me wrong I love when they use it and some turns out amazing. But the use of just CGI and some actors in a green screen for huge action scenes is just cheap. Hell I'd go back to them panting on the glass in front of the camera, at least most of what you see is real.

I love Indiana Jones and have watched the trilogy more times then I can count, I have the hat the jacket the bag, all the movies.

But Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is not a Indiana Jones movie its a cheep knock off.
    God help and movie Steven Spielberg or George Lucas remake.
    I hear Steven is looking at or is remaking Jaws.

Hollywood cries because they don't make enough money off movies that they have remade three or four times. "Boy oh boy i can't wait to see King Kong for the 6th or so time. You think it will have another Big ape, or maybe a cute girl who befriends the ape?"

I think I will stick to books, Hulu, download the few movies I want or borrow copies from friends, skip the ten dollar pop corn and the fifteen dollar ticket for the movie I have seen before.

May 21, 2010 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. Tom M

I agree that this movie was lame as can be, but when it comes to believability of plot twists... why are Aliens/Inter-dimensional beings less believable than an ark that lets out "spirits" that rip you to shreds if you look at them or a magic cup from a 2000 year old dead guy that can heal all wounds? Seems like a bunch of fantastical b.s. to enjoy for the sake of the action in any case, so if you're going to bash the movie, bash it because it simply isn't any good.

A chest of swirling deadly ghosts in Raiders of the Lost Ark? TOTALLY believable.

If you drink from the wrong cup you're killed by nearly instantaneous aging until you become a screaming skeleton painfully dying in The Last Crusade? RIGHT ON. Credible all the way.

Aliens in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? NO WAY, unrealistic, ridiculous/ insert snark of your choice. lol. It's all the same nonsense people.

May 20, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Nick

LaBeouf was not what was wrong with that movie, it was the script. The whole idea of going from the religious mythology that drove the first films to aliens just felt really unsettling.

May 19, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. shana

What is he talking about.I loved the movie and I thought he was fine.I was hoping he would continue the name.My boyfriend does not like watching movies and even he loves the movie.Maybe he didn't think he did great but he is an actor so work on it for the next one.Please let there be a next one.I do like Shia.Not just because he is a cutie but because he is a good actor and I watched him in movies improve.Give yourself a break Shia

May 19, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ella Jay

“I’ll probably get a call. But he needs to hear this. I love him. I love Steven. I have a relationship with Steven that supersedes our business work."

well, then why the heck doesn't he just pick up the phone and call his good buddy who 'needs to hear this'. that was dumb.

also, i haven't noticed any acting chops on the boy yet, altho he was okay in 'holes'. yeah, looks like he grew one or two, but did he learn to *act*?

May 19, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. Chief

The movie had some good scenes and decent dialogue, but the plot was completely stupid.

May 19, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. Writer X

This was a movie that everyone "wanted" to like but it was a huge let down in so many aspects of film. Honestly I never singled out Shia as being the downfall of this movie, it was simply a terrible script.

Great actors cannot save a bad script... Everything begins with the idea and script in film. If it's a bad idea and translates into a bad script your movie is sunk.

Granted I would love to make $787 million on a sunk script :) This movie made money off it's reputation though as do all sequels.

No how many times you try and polish a lemon you still end up with a lemon.

May 19, 2010 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Linda

Shia doesn't need to worry about his acting abilities. Has anyone ever seen the movie "The Greatest Game Ever Played"? THAT movie was beautiful. I loved him in that movie.

May 19, 2010 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. Mike

People! The main theme of the movie revolved around ALIENS! If you aren't blaming the writing here, you have no business commenting on the movie. Shia isn't the best actor in the world, but there are very few (if any) at his age right now that are much better than him (at least on the big screen).

May 18, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Darkmatteraz

Well LeBoeuf did miss up the movie. But people can all blame Lucas and Spielberg for pull him on the movie. Spielberg for pushing LeBoeuf to Lucas for the movie. The nepotism to LeBoeuf from Spielberg ruined the movie. Lucas should have filter though other actors for the sake of the movie's name. Shia LeBoeuf still needs to work on his acting.

May 18, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  17. bubba

Your right, you did drop the ball. The movie was the worst in the saga. What a way to close an awesome series, out with a wimper.

May 18, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rich

If he dropped the ball so bad and feels truly sorry for it, perhaps he should return the money he was paid to make the film. (Or perhaps donate it to charity.)

May 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Gerry Caprio

Young LeBoeuf is much too modest. He's a fine actor and he dispatched his duties in "Indiana Jones" very well. The film suffered from plot and script issues and there was little LeBoeuf or Harrison Ford, for that matter, could do change the outcome.

May 18, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  20. ohsnap

I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. But everything seemed so forced. And they underused Karen Allen, who was one of the best things about the series. A waste.

May 18, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Amber

I saw this movie in the theaters. I can't even tell you what the plot was about today.

I do remember that Harrison Ford look very stiff, uncomfortable in the beginning of the film... like he forgot how to be Indiana Jones.

And the cinematography was horrible. It was like looking through greasy lenses.... they overdid it with the "soft" effect or whatever you call it.

May 18, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  22. logan

for the people who give this movie crap because of aliens need to go look up the crystal skulls so u can know why aliens were in this

for the people who give this movie crap because of the refrigerator scene...........it was a joke that was put in the movie for people to laugh at not to take seriously, so calm down and laugh at it..........people take movies way to seriously today

May 18, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Keith

I blame Lucas. He did to the Indiana Jones legacy as he did to Star Wars.

The film was supposed to be a homage to the 50's Sci-Fi genre, which isn't what anyone wanted from Indiana Jones. It was too campy and cheesy. Sometimes Hollywood is so self absorbed they don't realize they're tarnishing a franchise. I think seeing an aged Harrison Ford's the first time on screen was a shocker too.

I did like the villians and there are some fun moments to it, but it was not the best movie they've done. I too enjoyed it a little more than temple of doom, which rewatching those confirmed my rankings. I did enjoy it more the second time watching it since I knew what to expect from it that time around.

So anyway Shai you may have had a hand in some of the low spots of the movie, but in no way was it your fault.

May 18, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  24. mike

He s@@ked!

May 18, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  25. jaye

He's not honest, he's a player. He was quoted as saying Transformer 2 was crap also. If he were honest he'd had said these things while he was promoting the movies, it was crap then. Oh, but that would have been professional suicide. Better to wait until they've sucked as much money out of the movies and then agree with most of the viewing public. Besides the public have a short memory and would have forgotten how he talked up the movies he now claims were crap.

He's basically saying Spieberg and the writers stunk up the movie, but he as an actor should have been able to save the day with his wonderful acting? lmao. Ok Mighty Mouse. He's yapping now because the MONEY has been made and everyone will forgive him since their pockets are full of cheddar. He can't defend the movie and he wasn't going to directly lay the blame on Spieberg or the writers. He still knows how his bread is buttered. So, he takes the blame and he comes out smelling like a rose with the disillusioned fans of the series.

"Oh, Shia is sooooo honest. he has b*alls, Yadee Dah! That's as much a bunch of poo poo as the movies. He's smart, but not honest when it counts.

May 18, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  26. regis990

I will go to my grave having only seen the Indiana Jones trilogy...the 4th movie does not exist to me.

May 18, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  27. tim

this kid is such a blowhard. false modesty and criticizing speilberg? give me a break. you're a disney kid that got lucky. a flavor of the month, nothing more.

May 18, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  28. LilGTO

As long as he hates Megan Fox as much as I do the kid is OK. The enemy of my enemy is my friend grasshopper.

May 18, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Alex

Well, you can't really drop the ball if there is no game at all. And besides he is not that good of an actor to come and save the trainwreck those movies were. This is not new, I could see it coming with the latest Indiana Movie... A long long time ago, in a movie theater far, far away, it all started with Star Wars 3( remember those lame Ewoks?, don't even get me started with the Phantom Menace...). As any greedy Hollywood Producer/Director George Lucas has found that sacrificing the quality of the story/production is worth it as long as you make more money. And how do they do that, they forget about the target audience that actually cares about the plot of the movie and characters, regardless of how silly that "universe" can be, a good story is a good story.

May 18, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Ben

It's nice to see an actor being honest about their work, and I agree with LaBeouf on his acting skills. But I think he is putting too much blame on himself, and he was entirely watchable in Crystal Skull. The real problem was that Ford, Lucas, and Spielberg long ago outlived their talent. Not too mention that the story was idiotic and they should have just left Karen Allen working at whatever drive-through they dragged her out of.

May 18, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  31. mushymushroom

I'm actually impressed by Shia's honesty. I mean some people in Hollywood when they scored some blockbuster film they feel like they can do nothing wrong and starts acting like a diva (e.g. Megan Fox lol).

Oh well, Shia don't feel so sorry because you have all your life ahead of you to make up for that... :)

May 18, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  32. brokenpinata

Ok, doesn't anyone realize that the Indiana Jones series is meant to have a bit of a cheese-factor to it? The writing for this one was on-par with the previous films.

LeBeof's character was horrible, and his acting was horrendous. More or less, he could be compared to Anakin Skywalker.

May 18, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  33. 0231

Did someone say that the villians in the new movie were the best of the series? Seriously? Better villians than Nazis?
    Not only were the villians terrible actors, and the script left them no room to express their evilness, they in no way hold a candle to the Nazis!

May 18, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Vermonster

@Mike S, New Orleans: LaBoof has big nostrils? Are you speaking metaphorically?

May 18, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  35. momentis

I agree with everyone else who said that Lucas is at fault. He's the one who developed the script – he's the one to blame. And don't tell me about the original movies being aimed at younger kids, as was this one, and how that makes it okay. I am 40. My parents LOVED the original movies as much as I did, and they STAND THE TEST OF TIME, including with my own children. Even my 8 year-old came out of this movie and said, "That monkey swinging was just weird."

An enormous part of the concept for the original movies were that they were throwbacks to the old serials Lucas and Spielberg watched as kids. And they really nailed that "feel" with those movies. Granted, Temple was kind of a turd, and certainly was a harbinger of things to come from Lucas, but Grail came back on strong.

And, no, I do not expect the best acting in anything Lucas touches, but the lines are simply horrific.

May 18, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Horgh

He was merely the bullion cube that somehow made its way into the fruit cake that someone should have known better than to offer as a xmas gift

May 18, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  37. chris

Indiana Jones just isn't the same if he isn't fighting Nazis, period.

May 18, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Larry

Shia was just being honest. He's okay as an actor and actually fun to watch. Harrison Ford has been a bore since American Graffiti. He and Kevin Kosner are the two most Overrated Actors of ALL TIME! Ford USED to admit he was a bad actor but a good carpenter. . Ah, the good ole days! Oh and obviously The last Indiana movie had a terrible story. The scripts have ALWAYS been bad.

May 18, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Michael Smith

EVERYONE involved with that movie should apologize. It's the only way we can move forward as a society.

May 18, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Anonoymous

Steven Spielberg has been making blockbuster movies for decades..so one didn't do as well..The question is, who will be at a bigger loss, Steven or Shia. I say an established producer and wrtier Steven Spielberg can survive a bad movie...but can Shia?

May 18, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Red Pison

The guy's got stones to man up, but it wasn't entirely his fault. It was George Lucas'.

May 18, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Not About Money

I don't think Crystal Skulls was made for money. That notion is a throwaway dismissive of any bad movie that allows one to just make a statement without having to put thought into it. Everybody having anything to do with the film was already filthy rich. How could it be about money?

And I don't think LaBeouf blew it, either, though I am not so fond of him and by that time was already feeling the pangs of his over-exposure. My little boy loves that movie and loves Mutt, as well.

I also don't believe the theme of extra-dimensionals was a departure, since Indiana Jones has always been about mythology, and U.F.O.s were the mythology of the fifties. It was the one thing they got right.

I think the movie was made to satisfy the ego of George Lucas, and I think that is what was wrong with it. Lucas has nobody to tell him "no," and watching that film you can tell even Spielberg is afraid to, or no longer cares to.

Having nobody to tell him when his ideas are rotten is allowing George to sabotage his own projects. He needs a stronger ego to stand up to him to get him back on course. At this point, however, that will never happen.

May 18, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Gerry Caprio

Young LeBeouf is far too modest about his contribution to Indiana Jones. In my view he played the part as written and played it very well. Any problems with that movie revolve solely around the concept and the script. LeBeouf is a natural, fine actor.

May 18, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  44. cp12

Am I the only idiot that thought the movie was cool?

May 18, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Caral from SoCal

Seriously? None of the Indiana movies were "great" acting. That is
    not exactly what it is about. Temple of Doom was waaaay worse than Crystal Skull. My ten year old and twelve year olds love them, and I think that is about the mental age they are aimed at anyway, so no problem.

May 18, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  46. sherene

I think shia is a excellent actor and i think hes being hard on him self.

May 18, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Tina

I thought Shia did a great job. The script wasn't that great and to put an alien in an Indiana Jones film was ridiculous. i am a huge Indy fan and would probably watch another one with Shia, but write a better script!!

May 18, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  48. DNA

I thought that last Indiana Jones movie was garbage and should have never been attempted. Making that movie was NOT about a director or a writer or an actor wanting to express their art, it was simply about squeezing the last few drops out of a dried up old cash cow.

May 18, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  49. BSU2PAC10

I walked out right after the nuclear explosion/fridge part. Sounds like I saved myself the pain of watching LaBeouf act.

May 18, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  50. David

Nothing can save Shia from his poor acting....Spiderman maybe....perhaps Spiderman should be in each of his movies.

May 18, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Greg

I saw it and liked it. I don't remember thinking that Shia did a poor job.

May 18, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  52. JP

Film would have been a hit in the 80s.

Moviegoers take themselves way too seriously these days.

May 18, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Joshua

I don't think anyone blames LaBeouf for Indiana Jones. I don't even remember his role being very important. All I remember is an absurd plot, with the first 30 minutes being completely irrelevant (and ignored) for the rest of the film. I remember endless pointless chase scenes. Like any scene not a chase scene was just a set up for another chase scene. I remember the end being just a huge leap into nonsensical territory. Pointless film.

The first 3 films, whether you liked them or not weren't thematically just "action". There was a prevailing morality tale, a logical hero's journey. This one had no hero's journey, no real ultimate goal. I think, of all the plotlines in this film, only the Russians seemed to have any actual goal. And I don't even remember what it was. Indie was just like "well looks like I have to do things!"

I honestly don't remember LeBeouf, but I understood from the blatant final scene that he's taking the reins, which might have been fine. I loved the "Young Indiana Jones" series and books, so I'm sure IF it ever happened it could be done right. But no, Shia is taking way too much credit for the failure of this film.

It's like I thought going into this. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade had an epic quest with a true and poignant ending. It could easily have ended there. To bring these characters out of retirement should have mandated a truly beautiful and amazing film. Instead they thought they could just play dressup and rehash tired gimicks and call it a film. Sure it made money, the blood of our love for the 3 good ones.

May 18, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  54. matthew

No dude, Spielberg and the writers should take responsibility for that garbage.

May 18, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  55. moderate01

Thank God I'm not a pretentious snit from one of those flannel towns like Seattle who think's he's "above" caring about pop culture and pretending, rather poorly, not to know what film or actor we are talking about. So, Shia LeBeouf admits what we all knew – even pretentious snits from Seattle – that he kinda sucked in a movie that kinda sucked. This movie was still relatively good when you look at other 4th episodes – see Star Wars (which is Ep. 1) or Rocky – but Shia is by all accounts pretty good in the new Wall Street, so like everyone else – including pretentious snits from Seattle – he wins some and he loses some

May 18, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  56. chewbacca

C'mon, Victor, we suspended our disbelief when Arnold survived the same bomb in Predator, and we're all better for it!

Victor May 18th, 2010 1:57 pm ET

Ok, they might have dropped the ball, but it was still much better than Temple Of Doom, to me that is still the worst Indie movie of all time.

I must say though, that bit were Harrison survived an atomic bomb blast was way too much. My suspension of disbelief can only go so far.

May 18, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  57. pbremer

as much as I loved the IJ trilogy, loved the earlier pre -prequel work of Star Wars, loved virtualy everything Spielberg has ever done....this film was not their best work by a long shot! IJ4 had serious flaws and ultimately I place blame on Lucas and Spielberg. They shoud know when they are making a turkey by now!

Shia, dont be so hard on yourself. What this franchise needs now is a redo to go out with one last adventure that acknoledges IJ's age more while ending the whole thing on a classy note. Save the day, get the girl one last time...then ride into the sunset....and stay there!

May 18, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. gregory

how pretentious of him . Is Transformers that more highbrow? – give the $ you got paid for that stupid movie to charity if your that serious.

May 18, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Rob

Meh. This movie was still WAY better than Temple of Doom.

May 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Michael Welle

My major problem with "Crystal Skull" was the total unbelievability of surviving a nuclear blast in a refrigerator. This was a unique, creative idea, but it was also an insult to the astute audience members intelligence–not that we are all particularly picky it seems. I didn't have a problem with Shia's role. I did feel the Ray Winstone and John Hurt roles should have had more of something to do with what was already established in the three other movies and the television show (the Chronicles). By the way I loved "Temple of Doom" and so did Roger Ebert and Pauline Kael–so take that "Doom" haters.

May 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Gentry

I think he sucks. Bay rammed him down our throats as the next great up coming action star. Then Spielberg foisted him on us again, insulting Indie fans, that this hairless whelp could be the possible heir to a adored franchise. He's a joke, stick to Holes Part 2 or the Battle of Shaker Heights the Return....This kid lacks any gravitas. Just because he can grow stubble on his face, doesn't mean he can swim in the big kids pool. He needs to be in movies with Jason Biggs, having coitel relationships with pastries....That's within his range...

May 18, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  62. bob

I'm still waiting for his apology for the absolute turd that was "Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen."

May 18, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Joshua Ludd

Wait... didn't his terrible acting mess up not only Indiana Jones, but Transformers and Hellblazer (Constantine) as well?

May 18, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  64. brad1001

Sounds like the dude needs press for whatever he's doing next.

May 18, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Brian

How old were the majority of you when the first three Indy movies came out in theaters? These and the original Star Wars movies made in the seventies and eighties were there to amaze kids. The stories where simple but fantastic because no one had made anything like that in a while. George didn't invent anything new, he just brought back what he enjoyed when he was a kid, the old serials. Back then the older crowd bashed and critizied those movies, but it didn't matter what they said because we loved them. Now we have the Star Wars Prequels and the new Indy movie, and the people who were the kids back then are now the adults. These movies weren't made for us. We have to remember that. Shia, I have a nine year old and an eleven year old that thought you were wonderful and loved the movie. I feel fortunate that they got to see one of my favorite heroes I had as a kid up on the big screen. These movie don't have to be Oscor worthy, they just has to be entertaining, and I thought they were. The fantasy part in the Indy films is constant throughout all of them, it was just a whole lot eaiser for us to believe when we were 11 compared to 38.

May 18, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  66. DarkAnghel

i forgot that movie 2 minutes afteri watched it, it was a big nothing. I think Shia and Megan Fox deserve each other, maybe they can do a REMAKE of Bonnie and Clyde, that'd be cool.

I think the best remake of all time would be Johnny Depp as Papillon.

May 18, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  67. jonny

Sadly, that film was garbage from every angle. No one really cared to make a good, much loved and anticipated sequel. . . . Just a quickie to cash a BIG check.

May 18, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  68. hjs3

Bet he didn't have any trouble cashing the checks though.....

May 18, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  69. DKW

It was the special effects alien sequence at the end that spoiled the film for me;It made it look like ANY, other CG styled film that had come out at the time, and spoiled the retro atmosphere that is a BIG part of the magic of the Indiana Jones films. And let's face it, the character that Shia played would have been annoying no matter WHO played the part!!

May 18, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Marj

And just what is it that was so bad? I think you are being to hard on yourself, or worse listening to the critics, if they actually had any real constructive criticism then they would be a lot more powerful then they really are and would control the movie industry....NOT the case. Relax, I for one liked the movie ALOT! I was not in the least bit disappointed in the acting of any of the characters.

May 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  71. momentis

I am a fan of the original IJ trilogy, so I was thrilled when this new installment was coming out. Considering all the time Lucas spent getting a script approved, the movie MUST be a gem. It was, however, an unmitigated disaster!

There were flashes, few and far between, of the magic that made Raiders what it was. These moments were too few, and surrounded by so much garbage. True, I found Shia's character annoying, but he should not take the blame. The script was a mess!!

I should have known better. After seeing the three Star Wars prequels, I should have known what Lucas would do. The dialogue in Sith was so bad that in some parts it becomes uncomfortable to even watch ("Annie, hold me like you did on Naboo"). He was able to take a fantastic actress like Natalie Portman and make her look like a junior in the latest high school production of Grease. Let's not even mention Jar Jar Binks!!!

Time to retire Lucas, first and foremost. Time to retire Indiana Jones. If there's something we should have learned from Buddy Holly, James Dean, Marylin Monroe - go out before you're old and fat and wealthy!!!!

May 18, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  72. UH60L

OK, maybe I'm missing something. The word "remake" does not appear anywhere in the story, so why are you people saying "it wasn't a remake, it was a sequel"?

It says sequel in the story.

May 18, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Matt

That movie sucked and it wasn't just Shia. We can count good ole' Harrison Ford in there as well. Hell the writers did a crap job as well so why don't chalk that up as a freebie but here on out if you're not doing you're best you're back to the fluffer role Shia.

May 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Mark

Wow, I give him credit for this, because that movie was the worst piece of junk I've seen in a long time. I hated him because of this film... and others... but mostly this one. Now it's Keeanu's turn!

May 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  75. theAntiELVIS

Never saw it. It was obviously a mistake to make it. Classics are classics for a reason – they are frozen in time. The Indiana Jones movies were a pehnomenon of their time, and trying to recapture that after so many years was just dumb. Imagine if Spielberg did a sequel to "E.T."....how awful would that be?

May 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  76. marie lynn

victor, you have no taste in movies, if you believe that the crystal skull was better than the temple of doom, i must ask the last time that you have been to a doctor.

P.S, kali ma

May 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Mikey

Shia will go soon enough lose his appeal and become a washed up actor of his generation....

May 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  78. pablo

I was entertained by the movie which is the point, no?

May 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  79. rick caine

I think the movie was great

May 18, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  80. jamboe

That's OK, the third one sucked too.

But seriously...Aliens? Are you kidding me?

May 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Zander

LOL

I am cracking up at you hackish critics blasting the last movie as too unreal. Um, what part of the previous 3 movies WERE real?! I don't think Indy jumping from a plane on a raft, or finding an Ark where people melt who look at it, or a cup that makes a bullet hole go away when poured over with water were all real.

It's a movie, not a true story!!!!! Stop trying to go all Mythbusters with it and just enjoy it for what it is.

May 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Ruffian

The Skulls legend refers to 13 skulls from different regions of Mesoamerica (not South America as in the film) that, when brought together, will trigger something earth-shattering. Other legends speak of the skulls as curing cancer, killing enemies, doing all sorts of paranormal things. The skull at the British museum has been proven to be a fake, as have some of the others, but supposedly not all the 13 have been found. . .yet. This could have been an awesome movie, but unfortunately they had to work with George Lucas and he hasn't made a good movie in decades. Shia isn't a fav actor of mine, but he wasn't at fault for this turkey.

May 18, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Bob the Janitor

Who is this Indiana Jones?

May 18, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Bill

Could someone point out to me in the article where the word "remake" appears? I didn't think so.

May 18, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  85. C

I thought he was good in the movie. I also though the writing and directing sucked big time. It came off as hurried with a good hour or so of CGI. It just seems like it was done for spielburgs kids or something, all the scenes were outrageous and had a "yeah right" quality to them. I still think this guy a good job considering the stupid script and story.

May 18, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  86. daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanny

I love the extraterrestrial subject, as such, I love how Indy added it into it, although not even that could of saved this movie.

People need to wake up and realize we are not alone in this Universe, and to think differently is just ignorant of the facts.

May 18, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  87. amigay

Hey, give the guy credit for integrity and honesty. When was the last time you saw or heard of someone accepting responsibility? Normal is, everyone plays the blame game.

May 18, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Omar

Compared to the two Transformers movies, Lebeof's Indiana Jones movie was Citizen Kane. Funny he didn't mention that.

May 18, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Pamela Fox

I loved the previous "Indie" movies but the last one was too far fetched. I didn't like the crystal skull. It looked fake. They could have looked for anything else and it would have been less disappointing then the alien theme. And I did enjoy the lead lined refrigerator scene, it made me laugh. They are fun movies and I certainly don't go to them to find a deeper meaning to life, but rather entertainment.

May 18, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  90. gale

The entire movie was bad. It was the script above all. Please this was no Indiana Jones movie. It was a bad dream. I can't believe Harrison Ford had anything to do with it at all.

May 18, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Pauly

The movie and the acting were just fine. It was made in Spielberg/Lucas tradition for the series: a big (awesome) Grade-B '50s adventure movie. That was all the intent ever was. Aliens? Sure...if you can suspend for the ghosts/angels from the ARK melting everyone, why not suspend your reality to watch inter-dimensional beings/aliens. (Besides, there's a collection of people that believe in that stuff anyway-Dr. Eric von Kookenheimer or whatever his name is that wrote about pyramids being built by aliens with human slaves/worshippers, etc. (Chariots of the Gods) - I believe some of the script ideas were even based on his "research".)

However, like a good CEO (NOT exemplified lately by the three from the BP mess in the gulf) Shia took ownership of what some of you overly-zealous "fans" thought of the film and vowed to try harder, even when it wasn't necessarily his fault.

Realistically he can try all he wants to give what the audience wants but he, nor Speilberg, nor Lucas could possibly be expected to know a lot of 30-somethings and younger would refuse to buy into the entertainment of aliens/nukes/whipper-snappers because somehow they are of a higher consciousness than those who bought into finding the ARK, riding a submarine, surviving climbing up and down a moving truck, melting badguy faces off in 1981.

There's a reviewer (Tony Toscano) that was on air here locally for a while who once mentioned, LA film execs can never really guess for sure what will tickle the audience's fancy–Disney fires 5 shots and knows 1 will score well (High School Musical) and the rest will be duds, regardless of how hard you try determine ahead of time.

Those of you that didn't like the movie go back to your Latte's and discuss politics or something–you're too smart to be commenting about PG-13 Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi movies.

May 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  92. fingolfin

Shia has real talent and he's demonstrated serious staying-power through some awkward teenage years. I agree with a previous poster that he has an everyman/everykid likeability about him. And no, that wasn't your ball to drop – people way older and way more experienced get the credit for that...

May 18, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Cronk

The Crystal Skull was LAME because of the writing. Sorry kid, but it ain't you. The Crystal Skulls are NOT archeology. It is that simple. BAD writing and BAD ideas. If Steven has a problem with that, he can call ME and I'll explain it to him.

May 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  94. paul

Yesterday he came out against TRANSFORMERS 2 and now INDIANA!

SHould I just skip his latest flick in case next year he comes out against it as well?

May 18, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Corky_Aloof

Not even an enlightened actor touched by the hand of god could have saved that refrigerator scene.

May 18, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  96. impulse94

It should have been called "Indiana Jones and the Obviously Plastic Skull That Looks Like It's Stuffed with Saran Wrap".

May 18, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  97. gmcam

The original "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was made with a Christian reference to some how relate sience and religion together for the betterment of Man(and Women)kind. The second movie "Temple of Dom" although not of Christian beliefs but of demigod beliefs, brought about a different perspective of the same message. The Third movie "The last Crusade" staying within a Christian yet folklorish (Autherian tone) not only peeked our interest but made us research more about where and what the Holy Grail would look like and where it might actually be. But more importantly was the underlying content that the young Indiana Jones was just as alive and what would anyone be able to make money off of the adoring public. (Young Indiana Jones dissolve into nothingness) This last movie introducing a possibility that someone could carry on the Indiana Jones legacy was in fact a fight or flight move to attempt Shia Lebeouf as that possibility; is where Shia dropped the ball, again not his fault because who the heck would want to be Harrison Ford's (Not Indiana Jones) legacy. However with all that being said the more obvious attempt (or at least lack there of) at trying to say the Aliens did it in the cloakroom with a Crystal Skull is what's really lost here. I get it... yeah there could be some inteligence to think that the entire Mayan culture was a lie based on aliens, that's what ruined it for me and yes I know that's "Follywood" but if you are so hell bent on a perspective, then stick with the perspective. I guess we could base science and religion on aliens but even "Follywood" should have enough sense to know that real people with real money see the underlying truth. Or, at least believe that someone out there is really watching for it.

As far as the posters that are stating their disdain about remakes and sequels, I couldn't agree more. Nothing is original, it's all been done and if "Follywood is really paying attention... if one person knows it and tells two people, well then you have an epidemic of non movie goers and pretty soon we won't have to wait for stuff to transfer from theatre to the second tuesday of every month for a new movie. It will just go straight to WalMart.

May 18, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  98. johnd

Just call Tim Burton if you really want to destroy a films legacy.

May 18, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Jason from Hollywood

Wow – dropped the ball, huh?

This kid has a big mouth. I think Speilberg knows what he's doing and I think can speak for himself, he doesn't need this neophyte telling people his business.

This kid is 19 years old, and when unscripted, comes off worse in real life than in film.

You know why DiCaprio gets along with Scorcese? He stays quiet...

May 18, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Snap

Does this guy's acting really lend credence to his opnion (even if it's about his own acting). It IS th director's job to direct. Shia hasn't shown me yet that he can act ... It was all he could to deliver his lines -NOT a great actor! His success is due to special effects and great franchises – I'll respect his opinion when he starts acting. Also, he should let a great actor like Harrison Ford express his opinions for himself.

May 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  101. bwhaha

Speilburg dropped the ball huh?
    If you saw the Southpark ephisode ...you know that's true!
    ahahahahh

May 18, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Lindsay

It doesn't matter how bad it was, it's Indiana Jones! Classic

May 18, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Norm

All this movie did was open the door to make future Indiana Jones movies now that Ford is getting too old.

May 18, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  104. R Smith

Ok the Indiana movie was the same script we have all seen a thousand times. Good guy , Bad guy Blah Blah. The thing that shocked me was the CGI. It was HORRIFIC. I was so surprised that guys like Lucas and Speilberg (Two Legends) would sign off on it.
    I live right near Kea'au Hawaii where some of the jungle scenes were shot and have been there since. The jungle is beautiful. The CGI ruined it. I just thought that this is big bucks here either tone down the CGI or find a team that can pull it off.

May 18, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Ash

I agree the icebox bit was too much

May 18, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Cartman

I heard that the Olsen twins will be in the next movie, and it's going to be about pirates searching for Mount Rushmore.

May 18, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Head Diva In Charge

I actually think Shia IS talented, but that movie just sucked. He needs better p/r and better advisors.

May 18, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  108. droctr

dude, indiana jones survived a nuclear blast by getting inside of an icebox. I don't think the actors had much to do with that movie being a turd.

May 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Ash

Shia was fine in Tansformers (both) Disturbia, Eagle Eye, Holes

May 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  110. oldsnakemgs4

Should've left it alone after Indiana Jones and the **LAST** Crusade!!

May 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Ash

Nonetheless, the movie was still watchable.

May 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  112. wow

I think he acted just fine for an indiana movie. And I thot he was awesome in the greatest game ever played. still watch that movie before the us open starts

May 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Ash

This movie dealt with Inter-Demensional Beings, not Aliens, the scripts could have been much better and I agree should have never been approved by the studio, I think that Shia's character was un necassary, and that the writers, producers, and director are to blame, though I do love most of Spilberg's movies. I think they need to release an additonal indi movie, to make up for the lack of a sequel that was not thought out much at all. Then again, look what lucas did with Star Wars....Honestly I believe at this point in these directors careers it is more about the $$$ than the movie.

May 18, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  114. DJP

Okay...one thing i remembered bout this movie.... throughout the whole film there was never a hint that Indiana Jones is immortal... Didnt he become immortal in the 3rd one or do i have bad memory??

May 18, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Tom

"LaBeouf", wasn't he the guy in "True Grit"?

May 18, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Brad

People are starving in this world and an actor has regrets. The world will go on. It's just a movie.

May 18, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Whatever

Whew, I can finally get some sleep. Thanks Shia!

May 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  118. No Dice

The elephant in the room is George Lucas. People assume too quickly that Steven Spielberg had it his way on this film. The fact is that George Lucas holds at least half of the reigns in this franchise. Interviews with Mr. Lucas and Mr. Spielberg indicate that they had to make a lot of compromises between divergent visions of the fourth film in the franchise.

George Lucas...what can I say that his recent attempts at filmmaking haven't already said?

Shia is taking a lot of responsibility on himself. It's fine for him to say that he is unhappy with his performance, but he can't take responsibility for the success or failure of the film. It's much bigger than him.

May 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  119. vickie b

i liked it i thought it was cheesy and fun. i was expecting some cheese and it had it I did not take the movie to serious when I went and loved it.I really liked Shia in disturbia. thats was an awesome movie.

May 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  120. rolinger

As bad as an actor as he is...to his defenae...George Lucas ruined this movie. George Lucas and his terrible script were also the same reasons Ford and Speilburg didn't do the 4th installment for nearly 20 years. Come on...really, communists chasing down alien power that's sat hidden in the heart of ancient Aztec/Mayan ruins for centuries?!

Lucas is also the reason he ruined his own franchise Star Wars with those abysmal Episodes I, II and III. Lucas' time came and went and he continues to cling to his successes of 30 years ago to carry him through the day.

Lucas script...Lebeouf acting....FAIL.

May 18, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Dwane Byers (Canadian)

Dear Mr. Cooper, ( I am a big fan of you and your various shows )
    When are the American people going to get their heads out of the sand, stop kissing the ass of the Saudi's and stop following the Bush / Chaney "GANGS' " insidious profit based policies that have the
    " Once but no longer Great USA "
    still on the Petroleum Based Economy that is killing our world. I lived in China for a year and was horrified at what they are doing to their people as well as the environment without any fore thought about the consequences of their actions. By the year 2025, they will be the one super power left on this earth. They believe that and I do as well. We have the technology to clean up the environment but give little or no support to President Obama and his efforts to start the clean-up.
    We are running out of time. AMERICA, WAKE -UP, RESUME YOUR LEADERSHIP ROLE IN THE WORLD,GET YOUR PEOPLE OUT OF IRAQ, AND STOP WASTING YOUR MOST VALUABLE COMMODITY,
    " THE YOUTH OF AMERICA". Respect your children. Take over the Middle-East if you have to but get off your asses and take action.
    Most Sincerely,
    Dwane W, Byers

May 18, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  122. NashvilleCritter

That movie just did not have the magic that the others did. The plot was weak and it just wasn't there. I blame the writers for the goofy alien bit.. Time to retire Indiana for good.

May 18, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Vic

Still didnt suck as much as Star Wars Ep 1-3

May 18, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  124. jackson

oh you are right Shia, if only you would have acted better you could have saved that Donkey Kong Country scene.... are you kidding me!? You can get the best actor in the world, nobody will be able to sell me swinging on multiple vines to catch a speeding car.

Lets assume the blast doesn't kill Indy, wouldn't flying that high in a fridge and abruptly landing shatter every bone in his old man body?

nothing to do with acting, it was just a turd movie, nothing could save it from its turd-fate.

May 18, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Ned Gibbles

Who is filling this kids head with such bull pucky. I feel bad for him if he thinks it was his fault the fillm sucked donkey snot.

Kid, you were fine in it. Stop blaming yourself. There are people to blame for the train wreck for sure, but you were just a passenger on that train, not the conductor.

May 18, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  126. rolinger

So whats the actors excuse for being pathetic in both Transformer movies? He is a terrible actor. End of story. But for the life of me I can't imagine why Hollyweird keeps hiring him for blockbuster films...he must have some good dirt on someone or just have very influential parents....cause one thing is for certain, it sure as hell ain't his talent thats landing him gigs.

May 18, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Chris, Dallas TX

Wow… what a pitiful artist and a Debbie Downer. Shia was not the sole focus of the film and it was not appropriate for him to take that kind of responsibility in front of the public and make Spielberg look even worse. Harrison Ford and Cate Blanchett obviously handled this more professionally than Shia.

The type of artistic critiquing Shia is thrusting upon himself is reserved to the director and producer behind doors. Ultimately, they are responsible for creating the final product and they are responsible for a film's success or failure.

For Shia to make this proclamation years after the film was released smacks of someone who is disingenuous and seeking some sort of redemption. Something is wrong with this guy. He never was a good actor to begin with. It doesn't matter though, because it still is one of the worst films ever made. If Shia wants to take responsibility for that, then so be it. All the other actors' characters were horrible as well and that's not their fault.

May 18, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Caitlin

I don't feel that Shia acted that terribly in the film. I just don't really care for all of the script (especially the alien bit).

May 18, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  129. INDYYYYY

Long live Matt Stone and Trey Parker

May 18, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  130. rafalweb

I didn't hate the movie, but come on.......Indiana survives a thermonuclear explosion by hiding out in a fridge that just HAPPENS to be made of iron...and the fridge is blasted out of the house at extremely high speeds....it impacts the ground....Indy gets out, unscathed (do you hear the laughing?), and stares at the mushroom cloud at a distance where he should have been cooked.

I know this is Hollywood, but even that scene was too stupid for me to take......it's what happens when there's not enough imagination left to stretch the story in better directions.

May 18, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Jammin

I believe one thing that made the movie bad was the fact they used way too much computer animation.

May 18, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Nate

Something I have noticed in every thread about Crystal Skull since it was released is that people accuse the alien subject of being the derailment to the film. I find those statements odd because I would think alien technologies being left on the earth would be far more likely than a ark that melts people when opened or a cup that brings eternal life.

I am not trying to attack any religous belief with this and I thought Last Crusade was by far the best entry in the series. I just thinking blaming the subject matter rather than the writing is crazy.

May 18, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  133. chris

Where in this article is the word "remake" even used? Unless the author changed it later in the day or I'm completely daft. And, yeah, "Crystal Skull" was horrible.

May 18, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  134. thetruth1028

Actually, There were far worse things with that movie than Shia....

May 18, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  135. lisa

He's right, he is a stinky actor and was awful in Indiana as well as Eagle Eye and other movies I have seen him in. No idea what directors see in this kid

May 18, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  136. INDYYYYY

I say: if there is an addition to the series, make it WITHOUT the use of a computer. If you have to put dummies on a tank and explode them like you did in Saving PVT. Ryan, DO IT! The cgi was so poor, it looked like Galaxy Quest. I think we can all agree that Avatar was well worth the ticket price because the cqi sucked you in. If you can't create proper cgi (as in, you dont know you are looking at cgi), dont bother with it!

May 18, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  137. CHRISEZ

Well, I thank LaBeouf for his honesty. He's ABSOLUTELY right. I for one HATED him in it. The film's last third was fairly stupid altho Cate Blanchett was the high point and Harrison Ford was fine.

May 18, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Mr. Wizard

I took a girl I was dating at the time to see "IJ4"...after we left the movie, we didn't talk to one another for about 6 months. I was too ashamed to ask for another date after having wasted her time, and she certainly didn't offer her time after I had wasted it so fabulously by taking her to this turd of a movie. Any and all contact was completely severed; no calls, no emails, no txt messages...nothing. This movie was so bad, I actually stopped dating the girl I was seeing because of it.

May 18, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Tim Greer

He wasn't the one that dropped the ball. Everyone involved did on that massive train wreck. The only reason why anyone would have released that steaming pile, was because after they shot and edited it, they realized it was a pile of trash film and couldn't let it go because they wasted too much money on it and didn't want to do it all over again.

May 18, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Eddie

I agree with many of the people on here that say that the movie's faults were NOT because of Shia. Sure, his character could have been a little more interesting, but again, as others have stated, that is the fault of the writers and to some degree, the director.
    CRYSTAL SKULL wasn't a total letdown. It did have some great moments and it was an enormous thrill to see Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones again. But the main villain (Cate Blanchette) was boring and seemed mostly non-threatening, and that's a HUGE mistake. People unfairly knock TEMPLE OF DOOM but I can tell you one thing- Mola Ram was a GREAT villain! He was EVIL, Physical, and the best villain of the series.
    I really hope Harrison, Shia, and Spielberg decide to take Indy on one more Great adventure to end the series on a high note. Get rid of the goofy villains like Spalko and that short little nazi goofball general in LAST CRUSADE, make Indy the MAIN hero of the movie again- stop trying to give everyone an equal slice of the action scenes... we want to see INDY kick butt again! I felt bad for Indy in the last 20 minutes of CRYSTAL SKULL because he just seemed like another one of the characters and not the lead that he should have been.

May 18, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  141. medic11

Shia, it amuses me to think that you think you could have saved what was already an awful awful movie. There is nothing Indiana Jones about being rescued by monkeys who somehow know that you're a good guy being chased by the bad guy. The dialogue in the whole movie was awful and I'll never be able to watch Raiders without thinking of what a piece of crap IJ4 was. Hollywood: let this be a cautionary tale, let classic franchises rest in piece. You aren't capable of living up to your own legacy because there's nothing magical about American cinema anymore.

May 18, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  142. sheppard

if Sean Connery ain't in it, it stinks... LOL

May 18, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Wayne

Wow. What a departure from the head cases of Hollywood. Didn't like this kid and wouldn't see another movie with him in it before this admission. Probably still won't rush out to see his movies, but I have gained a level of respect for him. More people culd learn a lot from his revealation. Good or bad, take responsibility for your actions. Good for you Shia.

May 18, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Bill Y.

Both movies mentioned are SEQUELS

May 18, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Kathie Baldwin

I was very disappointed in the way SS handled the opening scene where our hero, Indiana Jones, first appeared in the movie. Had him crawling out of the trunk of a car as I recall. there should have been a build up and then ** powie ** IT'S INDIANA JONES!! Also absent was that magnificent score – didn't even hear a few bars of it until the movie was almost over. blah. Could have done way better.

May 18, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Sheila

Indy 4 was a sequel not a remake.

May 18, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Kermit Roosevelt

Wow. Two sequels referred to as "remakes" when they're not, and a 6th-grade misspelling of "supersede".

Hey CNN, next time you have "Take Your Kid To Work Day", make sure they're only using a pretend computer.

May 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Jason

The movie sucked. I love the Indiana Jones movies and Harrison Ford. However this was just too way out there and all of the fans knew it. I heard that this was the toned down version and that Spielberg wanted more alien stuff. He just totally went off the deep end there and ended up with a crappy movie. I didn't think Shia did an exceptional job in this movie, nor do I believe he has much tallent, but that certainly isn't what killed this movie.

May 18, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  149. spuck

this is his last film, 5 bucks on it.

May 18, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Denizen Kate

What utter hack wrote this so-called article? Both films mentioned are SEQUELS, not REMAKES. Look it up, moron. Aside from that point, the latest Indiana Jones sequel was bad due to writing, directing, and acting. Amateurs could have done better.

May 18, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  151. adam

When they mad the first mummy with Brendan Fraser, they should have named that Indiana Jones part 4. The only thing missing in that movie was Harrison Ford. Everytime Geroge Lucas think he has a great idea, it turns out to be worst than the episode before it (weather it's a sequel or a prequel).

I know IJP4 is science fiction, but there has to be limits as to what the viewer will watch and what they deem as realistic. Especially the nuclear scene. Come on anyone in that frige thrown about like that would've had their neck and spine broken in multiple pieces. If it fell into a rolled into a river and was carried miles down stream to a safer spot for our hero, then I wouldn't have lost interest in the 1st 20 minutes. Lets hope they don't make Part V in 3D.

May 18, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  152. tookalook22

What is it with directors like Spielberg and Lucas that can't leave well enough alone!! The first 3 movies for both Indie and Star Wars are classic. The others they made trying to recapture the previous ones- NOT so good. I admire Shia for admitting his part in all of this-takes a big person to admit that-especially the business he is in. I only hope Shia can become what he wishes to be with regards to acting- the best of luck to him.

May 18, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Randy in Whittier

Temple of Doom was fare more entertaining than Crystal Skull.

May 18, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  154. let me just say

Let me just say that every time I see this man's name, I automatically read it as: Sh!t The Beef.

That is all.

May 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Justin

Personally, I'm not really a fan of LaBeouf.. something about him bothers me. He's also not the greatest actor in the world, but he's not that bad. Infinitely more talented than Megan Fox at least.

Anyway, that said.. there's no way that LaBeouf 'dropping the ball' with his acting caused the movie to suck or any actor in the movie for that matter. The execution of the movie wasn't too bad either.

What sucked about the movie, was the plot. The plot who far too ridiculous and far-fetched. I mean seriously... aliens? That movie went straight into 'silly' territory. And by god, I tried so hard to like this movie, I tried so hard to overlook the flaws, but the whole alien thing was a deal breaker. It also just lacked the flair from the previous movies, something was missing.

The person to blame here is George Lucas. Him and his "fresh and clever" ideas pretty much murders the plot of any movie he's involved in these days.

May 18, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Stu

The first few movies that I saw Leonardo Dicarpio in, I could not take him seriously as an actor. Then came "Catch Me If You Can". Wow, one of my favorite movies. I had to rethink Leo as a legitimate actor after that. Maybe Shia can one day get a role that will make people take him seriously. At this point in time, I don't. But you never know?

May 18, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Jonathan

Wow, that's a stand-up act, taking responsibility as he is. Very impressive. The blame belongs to the writer, the director, and Karen Allen's plastic surgeon. No woman that beautiful needs to get Botoxed into Kerry-ville. One movie rule is that if your final dramatic scene contains a swirling vortex of styrofoam boulders, you've failed.

The DUKW was cool, though.

May 18, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Mackey

Shia's just being egotistical. He's got the chops to act. It's just that he's not being cast properly.
    The real problem w/ Indy 4 was that it catered totally to Boomers and lost the rest of the audience who wasn't old and disillusioned.
    Boomer-bashing aside, Shia's career will either take the path of Leo or, diametrically, Brando.

May 18, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  159. James

Wait, they already REMADE this movie? Didn't it just come out last year...and stink? HA!

May 18, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  160. eastcoast6

What's the old saying? Act now, apologize later.

May 18, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Laura

Problems with the indy movie: surviving an atomic blast and aliens. The X-Files movie that came out that year was also a train wreck. It's like the two scripts got dropped on the floor and pages got mixed into each other.

Russians = Indiana Jones
    Aliens = X-Files
    Surviving an atomic blast = Toxic Avenger

May 18, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Super Duder

i think we forget... it's a movie. Total absolute bottom line. If you're not entertained in ANY way than stop wasting your money. It's cool if something goes "over ther top" and takes you somewhere.

May 18, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Damon38

Saw this at the dollar movies & felt I was overcharged>

May 18, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Sully

The kid's got acting chops. Unfortunately you don't get to see them in Transformer movies because Michael Bay is a hack. I don't think I've seen anyone mention "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints" on here. Good flick. Very good actually.

May 18, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Scott Nemo

Shia, I'm impressed with your honesty. As long as you realize when you make a mistake and learn from it do better the next time, then its all good. Keep up the work and learn your craft and please make more and “better” movies. Steven, you are the man! When a project doesn’t work out, learn from it move on and then do better the next time. Remember when you were hungry before you were successful, you made some of your best movies then.

May 18, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Han

'The 23-year-old told reporters at the Cannes International Film Festival that the last time he starred in a remake, 2008’s “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,” he dropped the ball.

True, the flick earned $787 million worldwide, a blockbuster by studio standards, but there were problems with it, LaBeouf said, and that challenged him when he took on another popular film remake, this year’s “Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.” '

-------------------------------

What is this about remakes? What was Crystal Skull a remake of? Why is the Wall Street sequel now a remake? Reporters need to learn how to report facts, use spell check and keep their personal opinion to themselves. Sheesh.

May 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  167. wickless

Temple of Doom = Goonies for Adults = FAIL !

May 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  168. rlctnt1

Nothing could have saved this movie. I don't blame Shia. I don't blame Speilberg either...its Hollywood greed that is to blame. Let's make a cheezy big screen popcorn movie and people will come in droves...doesn't matter about the plot if the special effects were good...oh wait...nope not even the effects saved this one from the crap-o-meter. Shia's other movies really are not that bad...Distubia and Eagle Eye were very good (forget all the junk he did for Disney...Holes?..please. I'm a Transformers buff so the human characters didn't really matter to me in the films...could do better with less of them (So the Transformers Trinity doesn't count either). I wasn't a fan of the first Wall Street so don't plan on seeing this one. Let the kid say whatever he wants...his 15 minutes of fame may be up very soon.

May 18, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Joe

The casting people dropped the ball by putting this no talent hack in the film!

May 18, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  170. jesse

WHY ALL THESE FREAKIN REMAKES???? Can't people write good original stuff anymore?

May 18, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  171. the last man

hopefully

Y- the last man on earth

will be a feature with LeBeeoff, even though dont like him much the guy can act.

May 18, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  172. James

As if any of you losers could do better. Who made any of you critics or experts?

May 18, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  173. George

I couldn't agree more derek

May 18, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Brent Kincaid

He didn't drop any ball! First of all, this film did not sink or swim based on his performance. Second, his performance was just fine. I was delighted with him throughout the film so this totally suprises me. What is it, a publicity thing with Shia? And, lastly, No blockbuster film should be counted as being 'sunk' by the performance of what amounts to an ingenue performance by an actor. How horrible is that to put that weight on such young shoulders. I cry nay! This entire issue is a red herring or something.

May 18, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  175. valerie r.

i'm so surprised to read that... I loved that movie and one of its best part was Shia and the chemestry between him and "indie" was great, it was very funny, lively, cool, anyway, I loved his acting... interesting...

May 18, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  176. derek

It was Ford that dropped the ball, the character in crystal skull was nothing like the old Indiana Jones we all loved, just a bland and emotionless performance, like he just wanted to get it over with. The script was ridiculous as well.

May 18, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  177. Scott

Word is Lucas wanted Jar Jar Binks instead of LaBeouf.

May 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  178. Arthur

good, bad...yeah whatever, the movie made a ton of money so you think anyone's looking at reviews....personally the alien storyline just didn't gel....

May 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  179. jake

does he plan on refunding my $15?

May 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Pete

Neither movie mentioned is a REMAKE!!! CNN is terrible when it comes to accuracy, content, integrity.

May 18, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  181. kristi

How about going back to where he made his start years ago. HBO's The Green Light Project – his first movie "The Battle of Shaker Heights". Thought he was great in it as a new young kid trying to break into the business.

May 18, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Daddyman

I'm waiting for a remake of "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes".

May 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Ariel

I think it was a good movie and Shia did a good job!

May 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  184. Brett

Monkey swinging was the smallest of their problems. How about blasting Indy across the desert in a fridge? The writers and SS messed up everywhere. The whole time I watched it, I kept saying to myself, "And THIS is the script that Ford, Spielberg, and Lucas were waiting for for so many years?!" It was so forced.

As I watched the extras on the DVD, I heard about the conversation between GL & SS in which one convinces the other to go with this, since they weren't aliens, they were "interdimensional beings."

Okay, those big-headed things are aliens, guys. Ask anyone at Mos Eisley.

May 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Chris

I cant stand him in certain movies, but you know at least hes being honest

May 18, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  186. JLJ

There are very few movies that I have thought about walking out of, Crystal Skull was one of them. Before Shia even made an appearance I could tell right away it was a terrible movie. How can a director make a work of art like Raiders of the Lost Ark and then create something like this and think its Indy worthy? Cut yourself some slack Shia, no one can make swinging with monkeys look real....the ball was already flat so don't worry about dropping.

May 18, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  187. CATom

As long as the paychecks keep coming in who cares???

May 18, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  188. Peedy6

Don't really care for Chef Boyardee as a actor but at least he's honest.

May 18, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  189. TJM....

Man...You guys are some harsh critics. Shia is a talented young actor and it take guts to admit what he did. I think he did a pretty good Job in Indiana Jones, despite his self criticism. This guy is on his way to Super Stardom. give him some room people.

May 18, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  190. john

I remember renting this movie, but honestly can remember what it was about. Oh well, I just have to remember to never rent it again!

May 18, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  191. Darryl

Remake???? What was it a remake of? Sequel.

May 18, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  192. James

I blame the fact that much of the film was largely shot in front of green screens along with terrible CGI and cheap gags (why the CGI prairie dogs? Why!?). Each actor in this film seemed like they were acting in a vacuum. Even a good script would fall flat if there is no onscreen chemistry between the actors.

I think Spielberg and Lucas are both very talented directors who got caught up in the technological advances in film making, and got a little ahead of themselves.

"[They] were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

These guys did their best work with puppets, sound stages, and old school film techniques. They should have stuck with it.

May 18, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  193. Daddyman

Crystal Skull was absolutely the worst Indianna Jones movie ever made. Why Lucas and Spielberg can't or won't get with author Wilbur Smith to adapt "The Seventh Scroll" to an IJ movie I will never understand. There are actually several Smith novels that would translate perfectly to Indiana Jones adventures. Regardless, at least LeBeouf acknowledges what a clusterfv(k that movie was, and it was not his fault.

May 18, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  194. Hoog

Hollywood is really pathetic with all these remakes. Everyone ready for the "Overboard" and "Private Benjamin" remakes? No, I'm serious.

I personally don't care for the guy, but at least he didn't throw anyone else under the bus. For that I will give him props.

May 18, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  195. George

Speaking of remakes...Lucas needs to hand over the star wars films to someone who knows what they are doing! The prequels were a disaster. I wouldn't mind seeing someone like J.J. Abrams or the guy who did district 9 and see what they can do with them.

I felt like I was watching high school theater kids act.

May 18, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  196. Marie

It took him TWO YEARS to figure this out?

May 18, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  197. Bill

So when does he admit and apologize for the Transformers movies?

May 18, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  198. George

The writers and director screwed this film up. I felt cheated by Spielberg putting out this crap. I really didn't like that they put that line in the film that said the aliens helped the indigenous peoples learn how to farm.
    Aliens? Really?

May 18, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  199. vp

I recently went back and watched the Indiana Jones movies.

I could not believe how bad they were.

don't be too hard on yourself Shia.....

May 18, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  200. Samantha

Sort of why I never waste my money on sequels or prequels, they always disappoint. I've still only seen the original Halloween. Indiana Jones was a film I will always love, why go watch a sequel and leave thinking 'hmmmm was i wrong about the first one?'

May 18, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  201. K8Ebug

I blame every person involved in that movie for it being so horrible. I will continue to watch the classic Indiana Jones movies and forget that this awful excuse for a movie was ever made. It was like an absurd parody of the originals....sure, shia "dropped the ball," but the fact that harrison ford or steven spielberg would EVER agree to go forward with project at all is tragic.

May 18, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  202. DCn8v

I actually thought LeBeouf was good in "Holes", but that's about all I've seen him in. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a terrible way to cap off what had until then been a GREAT movie franchise.

My question is, did the actors get to read the script before they signed their contracts? If so, there's no excuse. If not, then maybe they should learn that lesson for next time!

May 18, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  203. mike

Since when does sequel=remake???

May 18, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  204. Ryan

Obama sucks.

May 18, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  205. Colin

I may not think Shia's a great actor, but he can hold his own with the right material. He's putting way too much blame on his own shoulders here. Overall, there is one person who deserves the blame, and it's clearly George Lucas. You look at what he did with the Star Wars prequels, and it's clear his hands were ALL over 'Kingdom.' Spielberg, for whatever reason, just didn't seem to care.

Good to hear that Harrison wasn't feeling it either. 'Kingdom' was terrible, and there's no way that Temple of Doom is worse than that.

May 18, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  206. BLUE LEADER

He's right. He did drop the ball. That movie did not even come close to living up to the legacy of the first three.

May 18, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  207. Irish

Although a step in the right direction, I won't be happy till Shia is working the night shift at blockbuster

May 18, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  208. stezton

No, Cate Blanchett was the worst thing in that movie. Her accent was wretched.

May 18, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  209. cally

Shia, it wasn't JUST you- but who knew Indie and Marian were Jewish, really? The script was a turkey. But Shia is no Brando, he's more the Meg Ryan of this crop of actors- two facial expressions, and the same character in every movie.

May 18, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • dee

"Shia, it wasn't JUST you- but who knew Indie and Marian were Jewish, really? The script was a turkey. "

What sense does this make? Shia LaBeouf is the son of a non-Jewish father and a Jewish mother, just like River Phoenix and Harrison Ford, both of whom played Indiana.

February 20, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  210. Irish

That darn Shia! I was REALLY happy to loathe him and deplore his self-centered personality, but this makes it hard even for me. I too have worked with Spielberg on a movie and although my part was tiny, I can relate to the frustrations Shia must be feeling. Anyone remember 'Hook'? Yup, you're talking to a one and done actor who is proud to boast working with the great Spielberg, but I always feel a bit embarrassed when I tell people what Spielberg movie I was in. Glad to see someone calling it like it is....even if it IS Shia Labeouf!

May 18, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  211. Joe Blow

His name is LaBoof. Say no more. Next!

May 18, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  212. alex

it definitely wasn't on labeouf at all. i thought he did fine. the issue is that mothe movie relied too much on special effects. and i know i won't make friends on here saying this, but i feel the same way about avatar. great special effects, but very average script.

May 18, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  213. Jalen

I disagree with the previous poster.

I think as he matures and the older actors fall off, I think Shia LaBeouf will be the IT guy one day.

Ya got to think all these blockbuster money making films are his FIRST projects. Transformers 1 and 2, Indiana Jones, Disturbia, Eagle Eye (very underrated), even Holes was good.

Wait until he gets paired with some better scripts and even more experimental directors.

He isnt going away anytime soon.

LaBeouf is gonna be a star for a long time. Anybody should be able to tell that.

You can question the scripts and blah blah blah, but not a single movie of his has bombed yet, thus he is going to get a ton of roles.

Wall Street 2 preview looks very promising so I doubt that bombs either.

Quit hatingon LaBeouf. I like the kid. He has a very likable quality about him.

May 18, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  214. benjahoa

um maybe there shouldnt have been aliens in it, it wasnt you Shia

May 18, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  215. guarg

And he only apologizes for one of his movie revival performances? This guy has butchered everything he touches. His flash in the pan should be ending any movie now.

May 18, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  216. Bran

Good for him. I don't think he dropped the ball though at all. The plot was awful and not at all in line with the Jones setting. It was sort of the jumping of the shark for the franchise. Could have been sooooo much better but it wasn't for a lack of effort by the actors. The ultimate responsibility lies with the writers and directors for this one.

May 18, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  217. agribb

Why did he wait until now to acknowledge how bad the Indiana Jones sequel was? Perhaps he can star in the next Nightmare on Elm Street and finally kill that waste of film.

May 18, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  218. Shia LaBeouf

Shia LaBeouf is not overrated. He's simply not rated. Some may have this idea that he could be the next "in" guy but it's just not going to be. Sure, he's been in the Transformers movies and he worked on the Indiana Jones project. But it's not Shia that people are going to see. People go to Tom Cruise movies to see Tom Cruise do what Tom Cruise does. Same goes for others in other genres. Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert DeNiro, Nick Cage, Will Ferrell, Ben Stiller, Jim Carrey, etc. These are the types of actors that people know who and what they're going to see. These people, their talents and their names, bring people in to the theaters. Even if their movies aren't up to par, they will still bring the audiences because they have an audience. Shia LaBeouf is not a name that brings people in to the theaters. You've heard people say, "I saw the new (insert top box office draw name here) this weekend..." You'll be hard pressed to hear anyone say, "I saw the new Shia LaBeouf movie this weekend, and it was great! Man, that kid has talent!!" It hasn't happened and it's not going to.

Next!

May 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  219. Superdave

What they need to do is to change out the character Indiana Jones. Much like the James Bond franchise, keep the Indiana Jones legacy going with a new fresh actor who will commit to 3 or 4 films and keep making them. However, the scripts must be worth it to do so.

May 18, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  220. zoomom

I thought the acting on all parts was perfectly fine and believable; it was the script that suffered a massive shortcoming. An actor can only do so much with the material he's given. Not your fault, Shia.

May 18, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  221. TwM

He wasn't terrible in Eagle Eye, I think he played in the Transformers series My eyes were on Meghan Fox so I could be wrong .

May 18, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  222. kate

I thought Shia was fine it the movie, it was the script that sucked. Alien?! come on now.....ridiculous.

May 18, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  223. Danny Lee Shaw II

Shia acted as well as he can, which isn't bad, but it was DEFINITELY the writing. I mean surviving an atomic blast in a fridge??? A young punk who half-ass knows how to use a knife fighting a sword-fighter?? And while standing on two moving vehicles??? No one could have saved that!

May 18, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  224. Jalen

The villians were probably the best villians in the entire Indiana Jones series.

I think people are being overly harsh on the film.

it was enjoyable to watch.

May 18, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  225. mb

this one is simple, they should have dropped the action crap and made it a spy flick to capitalize on indy's intellect...

May 18, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  226. Alienbob

If only the giant boulder guarding the treasure was actually a Transformer in disguise. Or if Megan Fox was riding the boulder.... that would have broken or made the movie! (I still haven't seen the new Indiana movie, particularly because the previews reminded me so much of Jurassic Park.

May 18, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  227. D

I agree that the movie should not have been made. I love Indiana Jones, but that script was so hokey! I don't have a problem with casting LeBeouf in his role – but the story as a whole was very off.

May 18, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  228. Jalen

I actually didnt think it was bad. Saw it twice in theaters.

May 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  229. canadianpacific

oh great...thanks Shia...tell me something I didn't know....but now that you've admitted you did a lousy job...are you going to offer refunds to the people that saw your movies?

May 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  230. John Kenneth DeBoer

Just a vocabulary comment. Neither film mentioned is a remake. They were sequels. In both films he interacts with the original characters, played by the original actors, in a continuation of the original storyline.

That is an interesting topic for an article, though, exploring the rules for what makes a sequel, a remake, and a reboot. Feel free to run with it :)

May 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  231. Mike S., New Orleans

The only thing Shia LaBeouf adds to any film is huge nostrils.

May 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  232. debra

Shia honey...the script was so bad...not even Harrison could have saved it...no worries...

May 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  233. Howard2, Seattle, WA

Who the heck is SHia Labeoufe? and WHAT movies is he talking about remaking, I've never heard of them? Indiana Jones, fun movies to watch, Harrison Ford, fun actor to watch, but Labeoufe obviously takes himself WAY too seriously.

May 18, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  234. John

Shia's right. The movie sucked big time.

May 18, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  235. JJ

How is Indiana Jones, as dumb as it was, a remake?

May 18, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  236. Joshua Ludd

I think I will go ahead and blame the write, director, casting director, as well as Shia Labeouf. He should NEVER have been cast in that role. That script should have NEVER been approved. In fact, there is a good chance that as much as I was up for seeing it, that that movie should NEVER have been made.

May 18, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  237. Jeff

I really don't blame Shia as I do blame Spielberg and Lucas for putting yet another annoying character in a film who should have been killed off sooner. Why did they think Ray Winstone's character was necessary?

May 18, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  238. TJLMFT2BE

Why don't I remember this movie? Seriously, I don't recall its ever hitting theaters.

May 18, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  239. Jason

One problem...neither film mentioned is a REMAKE as stated. They are both sequels. How do these people get the writing jobs with that kind of oversight?

May 18, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  240. PiercedPsycho

I don't care. I love all Indiana Jones movies and I adore Harrison Ford. I thought the movie was awesome. Indiana Jones is my hero.

May 18, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  241. Arnel Pineda

BEST. MOVIE. EVER.

May 18, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  242. Victor

May 18, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  243. jack merridew

damnn and now hes making it harder for me to dislike him

May 18, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  244. Sy2502

While I don't find Shia LaBeouf to be a particularly talented actor to begin with, I still blame the writer and the director for how bad the movie was. If the script is bad, even a good actor is going to look bad. And it is the job of the director to, as the word implies, "direct" the actors, including making sure they give the expected performance. The last Indiana Jones movie was made only thinking about money, they knew that people would go see it in droves, and if they thought it was bad, hey they had already paid the price of the ticket, so why worry?

May 18, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |