May 18th, 2010

'Idol' Top 3 to face the judges' choices

testing captions
testing captions

It’s now down to the three amigos on “American Idol.”

Tuesday will see the last woman standing, Crystal “Mamasox” Bowersox, take on Lee DeWyze and Casey James for a battle to see who makes it to the “Idol” finale.

The trio will head to their hometowns for what is sure to be a warm reception and each will sing two songs: one they choose and a judges’ choice.

MTV.com is reporting that Ellen DeGeneres has selected Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed” for MamaSox, Simon Cowell has chosen the Leonard Cohen-penned "Hallelujah" for Lee and Kara DioGuardi and Randy Jackson  selected John Mayer's "Daughters" for Casey.

How in the world did they decide that Kara and Randy had to share? That’s kind of messed up, I’m thinking. Clearly Casey is not going into this as an odds-on favorite to make it to the final two.

Speaking of Randy Jackson, check out an iReporter’s interview with the judge here.

1. ptownlady

Crystal will probaly win. She will have to head to the dentist. First thing. It is really hard to look at her when she sings the high notes.

May 20, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jean case

I don't care if he does have a "paint store complex" . I loooovvveee
    Lee and hope he goes ALL THE WAY !!! It would be a Cinderella story that I think would be fantastic..... Paint store salesman to American Idol.......... just like Kara said,,,,, this is what the show is all about !!
    GO LEE !!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Richard

The preformance by the two guest musicians was by far the worse ever and both of them would have be voting out the first round if they had be contestants.

May 20, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. Chewingcud

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  5. All Ears

Casey appeals to girls, women, mothers, guys....that's a huge audience appeal. Crystal and Lee do not have that huge audience draw. :)

Casey PLEASE do not stop to the top. What a gentleman. OMG...such southern grace and poise like never before seen! :)

GO CASEY GO CASEY GO CASEY.....:)

May 20, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. All Ears

Jaybo...get a life. U can only dream of having Ellen's success. Idiot.

May 20, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. All Ears

Lindita..u must be 12 years old. Lee is a "same old same old" ...BORING

May 20, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. All Ears

Head Diva...Copy that! Lee over Casey???? Someone sleeping at the wheel for sure! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

May 20, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. All Ears

Thierry...so true! Casey has extreme STAR quality...and so much grace and poise...damn....Hope he pulls a Rolling Stone Cover! :)

May 20, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. All Ears

Casey is a star. He has "Star" quality and if those looks cannot grace Rolling Stone, no other can. He has been given K r a p music. WIth the right band, he will sky rocket to the top!!

Crystal is hugely talented. Her following will be eclectic though and narrow, but solid.

Lee? This Bruce Sprinsteen wanna be is not a "star." He is a plain Joe and needs to go home to Chicago. Play the bars. ok? He is not "star" quality just like last year's who?? Maybe this time American Idol will get it right, although they blew it by letting Casey walk. God! What a walk that was...with much grace and confidence and oh yeah....."STAR" quality to the max!

May 20, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. lindita

IN MY OPINION LEE IS A PERFECT THANK YOU

May 19, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jaybo Smith

I have not watched the idol since you added the lesbian judge. get her off and i wll watch.

May 19, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. Lisa

Is it just me or am I the only one annoyed by the gender-bender song choice for Crystal?? "Maybe I'm a man..." belted out by a hetero woman is just plain STUPID. Yes, the song was great but the lyrics were beyond ridiculous. I think Ellen tanked on her choice (you could see the disapproval on Kara's face!). Clearly Ellen has no musical knowledge – or maybe she had an agenda? But Crystal did her best with it.

May 19, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  14. karen

I Think this year the Judges favored.Cause i wouldnt of picked that song for Casey or Crystal,but they wanted Lee to win thats for sure,just by the song they gave him...This yr was not fair all around.

May 18, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. millie

I take back what I said earlier. It is clear that Lee knows exactly who he is. He needs no guidance. He was terrific.

May 18, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  16. mary

This year is a no brainer. Crystal is clearly the most talented. Not to say that the other contestants are not talanted, but Crystal has that natural and unique way of preforming.

May 18, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  17. mrskool

I like all 3 of them – they each have their own style and sound

Crystal is the new Janis Joplin – folksy and bluesy

Lee with his rough raspy voice reminds me of Eddy Vedder

Casey has the looks and that Texas thing going on

It could go any which way depending on who actually votes.

I hope Crystal wins – its time for a girl since the last few winning idols were guys

May 18, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Chris Kirkpatrick

I think that Simon has given Lee a song that, if done properly in an acustic fashion, he could have a real moment. The way I see it, the weight falls on Casey who must really blow us out of our seats or else adios senor! Crystal at this point is about as impervious as adamantium...the question in my mind is will she be going into next week as #1 or #2. It will most definitely be interesting to see how things play out tonight!

May 18, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Laura

I think if Casey can sing John Mayer's Daughters he will have a chance for top two. The song are great.

May 18, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  20. protogere

I don't know what to make of those song choices – they each have fairly big shoes to fill, vocally and that could be asking a bit much, based on previous weeks.

May 18, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  21. MITCH

casey may seem to be least marketable but in Texas he will flourish because he's the best musician of the bunch. how we measure success is subjective – i truely wish for casey to lose tonight because he would suffer with AI's banel over-produced pop music. just bought the AI season 9 cd and the whole thing is poor because of being over produced – but do not underestimate the power of the voters in Texas and elsewhere (Colorado for me). casey may surprise by his performances tonight as well. go casey – a real gem in the rough!!!!!!!!!

May 18, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Head Diva In Charge

Bowersox is amazing. I see NOTHING in Lee. Even if you do feel that he is a better singer then Casey, he has NOTHING – no stage presence, no "hot" factor, no personality – NOTHING. I really don't understand why Simon is stuck on him........but I am just crossing my fingers that the right person wins – unlike last year. Good luck Crystal!

May 18, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  23. moon627

The only choice i like is Paul McCartneys song for Crystal. She should do well singing this one.

I am not happy at all with Simon's choice for Lee. Hallelujah has been sung too many times already. Not Fair.

Daughters will be another snooze by Casey – i wish they'd given him something peppier – tired of all the slow songs.

I cant wait to find out what choices they make for themselves.

I think Casey is the LEAST marketable and hasnt got a prayer to win

It will be a tight race between Crystal and Lee

PS – i love Lee's style – it doesnt go out of fashion just because its similar to others – he is the MOST marketable

May 18, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Thierry

I am afraid, this time is not about talent, but about artist's behavior as a whole. If Mamasock and Lee pursue their "musical crush" style of music and manner on stage, I'll bet that Casey will emerge as a clear winner.

Lee has shown he could win, but seemed to be soften by Mamasock "Musical crush" strategy. Lee has lost his agressivity and becomes more and more receptive with the idea of being no 2, playing the gentle and humble artist, born to loose!.

Mamasock has to show that she is here tonight to show more diversities rather than selling her same old style. Du Deja Vu!

As to Casey, although his performance is second to both Lee and Mamasock, he managed somehow to prove he could be a sudden winner against everybody expectations. And this has become increasingly a reality. Casey is charming and knows how to refrain from sassing and talking back to the judges. Not only he has shown a great deal of wisdom and maturity, but seemed to win the judges hearts and minds. And yours as well!. As a whole, Casey is more marketable.

Poor Lee, I think he forgot to copy I must win, I must win, at least 100 times as per Kara's suggestions.

Let's wait and "Sey".

May 18, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Cathie

The show has definitely lost its luster, however, Bowesox stands out in an otherwise forgettable year.

May 18, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. sandy

Gotta go with Elizabeth on this one

May 18, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  27. willyboy

Interesting choices by the judges. Lee should do pretty good with "Hallelujah", as should Crystal with "Maybe"- I agree Casey may have a hard time with the John Mayer song. I'm a bit more interested in what the contestants chose to sing-–

May 18, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Elizabeth

Simon is stuck on this Lee DeWyze's style of singing. Idol is mass producing male singers with the same style and it is getting boring. That scratchy, suffering angst which was interesting maybe 20 some rock groups ago, has become old. Lee sounds like all the rest of the guys that came off the show. At least Casey, is true to his own style even if it is a bit more dated rock and roll. Clearly Crystal should win this time. She is more talented and interesting hands down!

May 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |