May 17th, 2010

Blanchett: I can take my husband's criticism

Cate Blanchett in W magazine“I’m so misunderstood!”

We hear this often from thespians of all kinds, but Cate Blanchett let it slip during an interview with W magazine in a way that proved she doesn't take her public perception too seriously.

“Some people get you and some people don’t, and to spend your life trying to make people understand how deep and complex and varied you are — I think that way lies madness," Blanchett said.

The actress, currently starring opposite Russell Crowe in Ridley Scott’s “Robin Hood,” often finds herself working with her husband, playwright Andrew Upton. The couple has signed on to a second three-year gig as artistic directors of the Sydney Theatre Company.

“We’re really open,” Blanchett said of their working relationship. “I have friends — she’s an actor/writer married to a director — and she was horrified when we said we were going to work together. She said they don’t talk about work because they don’t want to venture into the territory of being criticized by your partner. But I know what to do with the criticism.”

Besides, Upton is the one who keeps Blanchett honest, like the time he warned her after the success of  “Elizabeth” that she probably had about five years left. “He was preparing me for the time when the work dries up, as it invariably does,” Blanchett said.

That hasn’t exactly happened. Blanchett has been in more than 20 films in the past decade, and she’s still at it, currently filming “Hanna” with “Lovely Bones” actress Saoirse Ronan.

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. praca

ou did a a-ok contribution creating a words for the view photographers like me with no note with stock. You explained so much that I needed to know. I work out it with intense interest. You are a singular writer. I’m on beat of the life to forefather met you and know that you are as valuable and unreserved as your be employed indicates. Your armed forces is appreciated.

April 13, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. Michael.Shea

I think that Cate Blanchett is a "CLASS ACT".I have enjoyed watching her in every movie she has been in. I have seen her interviewed and she is very down to Earth.

Cate reminds of the great actresse of the forties and fifties. She's a cross between Greer Garson and Lauren Bacall who are also my favorites.

I believe that Cate is becoming one of our great actresses.

May 18, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jo

Anyone see the Indy movie "The Gift" awesome! Note's on a Scandal,
    You COULD go on and on, she's so down to earth and believable. She better not go away anytime soon. With what w have today, we need her!

May 18, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. os

one of the best actresses in hollywood in my opinion and ridiculously hot.

May 18, 2010 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  5. CineWorld

She is setting a great example for all women to be able to take the criticism from their spouses and make the most of it, as opposed to reacting in an over sensitive way and missing the honest facts.Facts are importan than feelings, but they need to be nurtured in every human in balance.

May 18, 2010 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. BohoMama

She is one of the most versatile actresses of our time. She oozes charm, she's delightfully intelligent and timeless...most actresses, especially one of this age, pale in comparison. I adore her.

May 17, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. schnicka

ditto ditto ditto ditto!
    She's all that and we can only imagine a whole lot more!
    Class, dignity, elegance, genuine talent, depth & composure – she's got it all – as well as being a mum & wife, what's not to like

May 17, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. darlene d

Great actress who is a true "movie star."

May 17, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Victor

Wonderful actress. Hope she has a long and prosperous career.

May 17, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. NJHvasquez

I completely agree, she brings that presence with her to every role she does, from The Gift to Elizabeth. She's truly a talent...

May 17, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Leah

I love this woman. I have enjoyed everything I have seen her in and she seems very down to earth and smart. I would love to meet her some day.

May 17, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |