May 13th, 2010

'Modern Family' hits Hawaii

The sitcom vacation is a time-honored tradition (I'm looking at you, "Brady Bunch"). So how would TV's newest hit comedy handle a trip to Hawaii in its first season?

I will say that "Modern Family" made a pretty seamless transition to having one of their typically uproarious episodes take place in the Aloha State. There were no big gimmicks (no mysterious tikis here), just the usual interplay between characters that we have grown to know and love over this past season.

Mitchell and Cameron were a highlight, as they are in most episodes, getting into a fight over the fact that Cameron actually doesn't like to have an adventurous vacation the same way that Mitchell does. At one point, Cameron had Mitchell getting the full spa treatment in his beach chair without even knowing it. When Mitchell asked, "What's this?" about the drink he was sipping, Cameron replied, "Happiness."

Unfortunately, that was short-lived as the two briefly lost Lily on an elevator, and then on a hike among a cluster of palm trees ("She's going to think she's back in Vietnam!" Mitchell worried).

Meanwhile, Phil was determined to give Claire a romantic vacation, despite the kids. She later regretted letting Haley go off on her own, when Haley ended up drunk and throwing up. ("Does this always happen when you drink?" she asked, to Claire's reply of "Yes.")

Phil saved the day at the end, giving his wife the wedding she had always wanted.

A few more highlights:

- Phil being pulled on top of a passed-out Jay on a hammock may be one of the funniest things I've seen on any show this season.

- Never before has it been made more apparent just how different Manny and Luke are as it was in this episode, and it was great to see these two kids play off each other. The younger actors on this show don't get enough credit - they can go toe-to-toe with the adults in getting laughs.

- Best quote from Jay: "I decided to get in better shape quick. Didn't want to end up like my old man. Although he did die doing what he loved: Refusing service to hippies who came into his store."

- Best quote from Cameron (hard to pick one, I know): "It would be like Lewis telling Clark that he didn't like to walk. Sidenote: We're very good friends with a couple named Lewis and Clark. Clark bought a big sparkly belt in New Orleans that he calls his Louisiana Purchase."

What did you think of last night's episode? Have you been enjoying "Modern Family" as much as I have this season? Share your thoughts on video, or in the comments below.

« Previous entry
  1. Phil

At first I did not known who was the star.Just a big cast and all turn out to be the stars. This season is the first time I get to sit down to watch it. I just retired from my job and now have time to watch it. I just love it. Wednesday is the best night on tv for ABC.

September 30, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Free Wedding Hawaii

I love this show. The show was very funny.

Free Wedding Hawaii

July 10, 2010 at 3:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. CR

My favorite Cam-Mitchell lines:

Cam: I've always wanted Mitchell to become a Justice on the Supreme Court.

Mitchell: (sarcastically) Why, Cam?

Cam: So I can tell our friends I'm dating one of the Supremes.

May 14, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. shellibelli

yep I noticed that Phil's wallet was clearly in his back pocket, only made it that much funnier!

May 14, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jess

Only watched it once with my mom.. but reading all these reviews makes me really want to get into watching it too.. seems pretty entertaining.

May 14, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. Linda

I think that show was one of the funniest ever. I laughed so hard.

May 14, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. imurmama

I LOVE this SHOW!! love love love it! But for some reason It wasnt on my DVR last night...I was wondering if anyone else had this issue..im from NY by the way.

May 14, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. Toni Bracey

"Modern Family" is the only show we NEVER miss! It is fantastic, great acting, great writing, every episode has been brilliant this year. Keep it coming!

May 13, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. IAMSOBZ

Just to set the record straight, Jay was not passed out in the hammock. He threw his back out and couldn't get up.

I'm glad this show is getting so much love. Too often my favorites are canceled before they are discovered by enough people.

May 13, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Michele

"Seal off the island!"

I'm still laughing....

May 13, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jan

This show is sooo funny! Last nights episode was really, really funny! And Phil was watching Gloria get out of the pool on Clarie's glasses. lmao.

May 13, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. KAM

My favorite comment was when Ed Oneil said when he was young his family went to Lake Erie where spiders were this big (made a fist). Unbeknownst to many that is a true statement of Ed Oneil's family. I felt an instant kinship to Oneil.

May 13, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. darlene d

I love that show! Lets hope they don't take that one off!!

May 13, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Diane

The funniest show on tv these days. I look forward to it every week. The characters are so funny.

May 13, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Luke

So Phil said that he kept his wallet in his front pocket, but did anyone notice that it was actually in his back pocket?

May 13, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Norma

I've been hooked since the first episode; la-la-la love the show! Brilliant cast, witty lines, hilarious situations, simply perfect! Cameron is a riot, every word he delivers cracks me up; genius! This show makes my family's Wednesday evenings tv watching fun time!

May 13, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Yolonda

Modern Family is the funniest show surpassing 30 Rock easily.

May 13, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kelsey

I love this show.....

May 13, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  19. ibivi

It is a great episode. I love Manny. He is the most together child. Actually I had warm feelings for everyone. My favourite exchange was between the daughter who got drunk and her mother: Does this happen every time you drink alcohol? Pause. Yes, it does.
    The hammock scene was very sweet. This show gets it just right-human, funny, poignant. Thank you to the cast and makers of the show.

May 13, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Maryland

The scene where Lily was left in the elevator, and then the doors opened up with Claire saying, "I never miss anything" (or something like that) had me laughing so hard!

This show is hysterical!

May 13, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Gail Snail

I love this show. I just have to catch up with some episodes. God Bless my DVR.

May 13, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  22. cellen

This show gets better and better...My sons and I have something fun to do on Wednesday nights!!!! The actors are AWESOME!!!

May 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  23. JA

8:30 to 9:30 on Wednesday nights on ABC is the best hour of television there is. The Middle and Modern Family are both hysterical shows. The acting on both shows is absolutely perfect (including all of the kids, especially Sue on The Middle and Manny on Modern Family). Patricia Heaton and Ed O'Neil are seasoned veterans who haven't lost a step. They are wonderful to watch. Hats off to the writers for giving both of these talented casts the words to say so hysterically, week after week. Even watching the reruns is funny!! Two terrfic shows!!

May 13, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Wanda

I loved it. When Manny said he was Home, I thought that was hilarious! Also, when Gloria found Lillie was riding up and down in the elvator like nothing was wrong and Cam and partner were screaming and running around like chickens with their heads cut off that was classic. The wedding at the end was a nice surprise. I love this Show and The Middle! Please keep them on the Air ABC!

May 13, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Ana

OMG! I loved the interaction between Manny and Luke!! Talk about polar opposites! This is the best comedy on tv! =)

May 13, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  26. mcmmwm

The writing is sheer genius on this show. Funny, touching, emotional and real!!! Hope they are on for years and years. Everyone in your family should watch it.

May 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jenn

Best Episode....Although, I think we are forgetting one fo the best quotes from the episode...Phil "just to be clear, i'm not condoning eating your kids....but i sure as heck know why giraffes do it."...

May 13, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Maryann-Orlando FL

Excellent comedy.

I don't watch sitcoms anymore – dumb writing, laugh track...

But this one is worth it. Best character development for a sitcom that I've ever seen.

I just love Cam, and that little Manny....a mini-adult!

May 13, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Michelle

What a perfect cast...I really enjoy watching this show. By far, the funniest show on tv..

May 13, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jodi

love love love it. funniest show on tv...
    agree along with the middle and cougar

May 13, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Jill

Modern Family = Genius!

May 13, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  32. P Craver

I mean................I watch it every week.

May 13, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  33. P Craver

I love the show which it every week.

May 13, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Fabiana

Hi, I live in Costa Rica, and I have to say I LOVE this show, I love Sofia’s character, it really portrays the Latin woman. Yesterday was the BEST episode of all, I loved it. I hope they give more importance to Gloria. I want to see more affection between Jay and Gloria. Pura Vida Costa Rica!

May 13, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  35. trish

Do people of color vacation in Hawaii...You betcha.

May 13, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  36. marilyn unick

Best show along with In The Middle. Tape them so I can watch more than once.

May 13, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Iggleschick

Love it, love it, love it!

May 13, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Dezz

Too funny. Been enjoying this comedy more than I realize, and last night's episode was epic. My husband records the show just so I can watch it when I get home from work... just to see me laugh! Its a riot!. Ed (Married With Children) has found his niche as the Patron of this most cosmically fused family. Been a long time coming. Good luck, Ed! Hope you find as much success with this one as you did with your last.

May 13, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Kay

"I keep my wallet in my front pocket...." LOL!

May 13, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  40. justisc

very good comedy

May 13, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Mary

I loved last night episode. And the part where Phil was suppose to be helping Jay out of the hammock – Priceless! I laughed so hard I cried. This was probably the best episode of the season.

May 13, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |