May 12th, 2010

TV recap: 'Glee' makes us happy and sad

testing captions
testing captions

Is “Glee” suffering from an identity crisis? That seemed to be the theme of Tuesday’s show as Puck, Rachel and Kurt tried to find their footing after they lost their trademark hair cut, voice and dad’s attention respectively.

But it also seemed to be a theme overall for the series as “Glee” appears to be venturing more and more into the storylines that make you crack instead of just crack you up.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t mind a tear here and there mixed with some hilarious one-liners and show stopping musical numbers. But the show just seems sadder to me these days.

You’ve got Finn pining away for Rachel who’s pining for Jesse. Mercedes who was content to date Puck despite knowing full well that he was using her and Kurt who tried so hard to butch it up - just so his dad would want to spend as much time with him as he has been Finn.

And don’t even get me started on the paralyzed football player friend of Finn’s who helped Rachel find her “voice.”

With all of the plot lines on Tuesday night I felt like I was being lectured: You are more than what you do... be a better person... be true to yourself... love yourself so that you don’t have to settle for less love than you deserve. By the end, I was exhausted!

I tried to recount Tuesday's episode for my husband and his response was "Wait, I thought it was a comedy." Good point.

Thank goodness for the songs to lighten the mood. Finn singing “Jessie’s Girl” was adorable, and I swooned over Puck’s wooing of Mercedes with “The Lady is a Tramp.” Not to mention how crazy I went when Mercedes and Santana took it to the mat with “The Boy is Mine” to which I imagine the original singers Brandy and Monica cheered.

I still heart “Glee,” which is clearly one of the best shows on television right now. I just think they may want to lighten the life lessons a bit or spread them out more over several episodes rather than clobbering us all at once.

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television

1. Moose

What's up with Kurt's Dad. First, he just appears in the school hallways like a stalker. Second, his wardrobe looks like he hunts ducks 24/7. Finally, why does Kurt want his love so much when he should be focusing on his future step brother....and dress like Finn....not Elmer Fudd.

May 16, 2010 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. Olivia

All I have to say is I love this show. It is quickly becoming my new favorite show replacing Buffy the Vampire Slayer which has been my fav for going on 9 years now. It has a lot of different characters, themes, genres and overall just a little something for every one. If its not for you then its just not for you, the show speaks for itself and I personally think its going to be around for a bit.

May 15, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Patricia

I'm starting a facebook campaign to get Nia Vardalos on Glee! Join my group. http://www.facebook.com/editphoto.php?oid=117272864976635&success=1&failure=0#!/group.php?gid=117272864976635&ref=ts

May 15, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mrs. Sixx

I look forward to Glee every single week. It is funny, uplifting, emotional, musical, dramatic. It's everything you could want in a show. All of the students are fantastically talented and it's just a joy to see them strut their stuff. Kurt's solo was perfect - he's only 19 years old people. He had no experience other than high school plays before this - yet he captures the screen. I am totally enamored of this show, and cannot wait for next week with Neil Patrick Harris.

The heart to heart Kurt and his dad had this week was so heartfelt - yes, I cried. But it was crying for how sweet and true the conversation was.

I really just have to disagree with everyone who said Glee has gone down hill. I think it just keeps going up!

May 14, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. emjay

Eddie is the first person to note it. This is still season one! It's just the second half of season one.

Anyway, Glee is still amazing. What I like about it, is it DOESN'T have a label. Everyone thinks it is this, or that it should be that. It is a musical, it should only have them sing when practicing or performing, it should be strictly comedy, it has too much drama. Oh come on people. Get over yourselves. No the show isn't consistent on how much comedy or drama or music they have in an episode, but I like that! 'Will I laugh or cry hard with tonight's episode..? I don't know! Guess I'll have to watch!' Yes story lines need to be covered over more than one episode, I'll agree there. There is too much cramming.

Neil Patrick Harris on next weeks episode though... that looks AWESOME!

May 14, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Island Girl

I love this show! I do agree that the most recent episode was very emotional but that's not how I feel about the show, overall. I was surprised with how well Naya Rivera, who plays Santana, can sing!

May 14, 2010 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. RomyS

The reviewer got it wrong. Like Sue Sylvester said "You kids today are too hung up on labels.” Glee is neither a comedy or a drama or a musical or a variety show. It's not a teen show, or an adult show. I'm 40 and I love it. There is not one episode were I don't laugh and sometimes I cry. I always love the music. The adult and teenager roles on the show are well written and well-rounded. Think about Finn's and Kurt's mom (widowers) wanting to date because they have something in common and have been alone way too long. Or Sue with her down-syndrome sister. They have adult conversations while reading children's books. Or Mercedes last week singing "I am Beautiful" and with every note her face expressed her own personal realization about her beauty despite her weight. When Puck broke out "The Lady is a Tramp" to impress Mercedes this week, I fell off the couch laughing. Or when Britney thinks her cat is reading her diary, that line is priceless. Glee is a WONDERFUL SHOW!!

May 13, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kskewpie

Kurt showed amazing range and talent, from Mellencamp to Rose, great job! I have always liked the song Jessie's Girl, Finn was great!

May 13, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Maryann-Orlando FL

I love this show, but this week's installment bordered on "very special episode" territory.

I agree with the article, these kids are so talented, let's have more of them singing and dancing and less preaching.

May 13, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Eddie

So at this rate, is Glee gonna get an Emmy nomination for Best Comedy Series or Best Drama Series? Cuz it could kinda go either way from the looks of this 2nd half of the season.

May 13, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Shantilly

I kinda miss the comedy in this show. The one-liners are cute, but doesn't make up for all the sad moments that constantly plagued Tuesday's episode. I'm sure they'll bring back the funny, though :)

Also, I'm really loving getting to see all the other characters sing... I really like Quinn's role... so I'm hoping we get to see more of her.

May 13, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. nasnan

this episode was a downer. i hope next week it perks back up.

May 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. millie

Puck looks 100% better without that piece of carpet tacked on his head.

May 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cath

Jessie's Girl was the best song of this episode. Wow, Finn on drums is a sight to behold!

May 12, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SAM

Never watched the first season. After hearing so much about it, I started watching the second season. It's okay. Only one reason to watch – Jane Lynch. She's the best. Loved her as the shrink on 2 1/2 Men.

May 12, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Carolyn

I am 67 and love this show! It has everything. I do agree, though, with those who said the serious stuff should be interspersed through several episodes and not all be in one episode, like last night's.
    Too much of it makes it sorta sappy instead of impactful. Hey out there, please learn how to spell...or look words up before leaving a comment. Please!

May 12, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  17. SC

The best shows on TV are a perfect combination of drama and comedy.... just like real life. Think MASH, one of the best "comedies" on TV. There were tons of episodes that were far more drama than comedy, and it worked for how many years? Glee is fantastic, and has just been getting better!

May 12, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  18. poohbear

I love this show! I teach high school drama and all my kids want to talk about is Glee. They love it so much they have commanded that we start a Glee Club. They will win that one. Thanks so much to the writers, director and actors of Glee. Wouldn't it be nice if we performers always had such a great band to follow us around and play anytime we wanted to bust out into song. YOU GO GLEE!

May 12, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Archie

What the review didn’t point out was the scene between Kurt and his father was heart warming as well as tear jerking. His dad went to Kurt and told him that he had no reason to be ashamed of who he is (the Gay kid) and that it was he that was wrong. The dad character explained that when your child is born you naturally have all sorts of ideas of what they will be like as they grow up, but it is the parent’s challenge to allow their kids to grow up to be who they are and love them no matter what. Simple, correct, bold and tear jerking. Brilliant!

The reviewer also didn’t point out the hysterical irony of Kurt choosing to butch it up and sing John Melloncamp’s Pink Houses for the glee club. That just cracked me up. But wait, the best line of the show belonged to Sue Sylvester (the meanest character on TV). She asked Kurt, “Have you kissed a girl”, he answered no. “Have you kissed a boy”, no. “Well then just because you like Broadway show tunes doesn’t make you gay, it just makes you gross!”. “You kids today are too hung up on labels.” LOL!!

One way or another Glee belongs to the thinking crowd, and that reviewer needs to drink a Red Bull before sitting down in front of the telly.

May 12, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jennifer

KC:

Obviously you do not watch the episode when Rachel sings "Don't Rain on my Parade". It was better than the Streisand version!
    Or Mercedes singing "Bust the Windows", or Rachel & Kurt doing "Defying Gravity", or even Puck's "Sweet Caroline".

I could keep going

LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

May 12, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  21. JW

Glee is a great show, filed with all kinds of talented people. It was great to give the rest of the cast a chance to sing, Puck, Mercedes, Kurt, Santana..now we need more of Quinn Artie and Tina too! I love Rachel/Finn/Shue/Sue but I agree lets see the talent spread across the show. This show does make me laugh out loud one minute and then brought to tears the next. I will take this show anyday over the Reality crap. Keep it up writers,dancers,singers! you've got a winner with Glee!

May 12, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  22. EDW

It was nice to hear Puck sing. I love Sweet Caroline.

I am getting tired of Kurt's two faces. In one episode he says that he's the honorary girl and the next episode he is adament about telling his dad that he's a guy too. Make up your mind dude. It's bugging the heck out of me.

May 12, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jim

Glee is awesome....seems to just get better and better each week. Catch up here.. Watch Glee

May 12, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Glee fan

I thought Kurt's performance on stage when he thought he was alone was outstanding!! I love this show – one of the better shows on television at the moment in a world FULL of reality tv.

May 12, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  25. KC

Let's be honest....no songs in this show are "Show Stoppers"...

May 12, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Michelle

I wish they would let the other cast members sing. Brittany's role is so underplayed, and she has some of the best lines behind Sue Sylvester. They try to skip around and do too much. They need to slow down the episodes – example, when Mr. Shue and Emma got together and broke up practically in the same episode. Goes too quickly and we can't fully enjoy the stories.

May 12, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Marie

This show is just plain awesome. Kurt's scenes with his Dad had me in tears by the end of the show. I agree with the person who said they wished Rachel had more songs in the episode, but that would have defeated the storyline. Hopefully she will make up for it next week! To those who said there wasn't enough comedy in last night's show, just 3 words - Puck and Mercedes. If that's not funny, I don't know what is!!

May 12, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Irwin

One of the best episodes; definitely better than last week. Coherent integration of drama, comedy, and music. I would have preferred a little more of the great Rachel's voice, but that would have defeated the story line. It's good they toned down Sue a bit. As great a comedian as she is, her nastiness and putting Will down are a bit tiring. A s I watch that amateurish American Idol, the first thing that comes to mind is when will the REAL Idols appear.

May 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Loren

It was nice to hear Puck sing, surprised at how really well he sang. Just goes to show what a load of talent the cast brings to the show. (And to be truthful, I only watch because my daughters do, but I really appreciate how truly excellent overall the show is, so they are permitted to get a little serious on occasion, which they also leavened with quite a bit of funny, Puck and Mercedes? perfect).

May 12, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jane

This episode was awesome – lots of music, plenty of laughs, and many touching scenes, well, maybe one too many. However, Kurt and his dad play things so perfectly – amazing! And the emphasis on the kids rather than adults was much needed, it seems to me.

May 12, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  31. LADYGODIVA85

I just love this show. Yes this week's episode was a little lame. It didn't really have any funny jokes this time but I did like the topic.

May 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Yvette

I loved it. My family and I enjoy it especially when Finn began to sing Jessie's Girl (one of my favorites).

May 12, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Flocke

This show has swirled directly down the toilet. No longer funny. It's more afterschool special than comedy, and the theme episodes are lame. I loved this show last year, but I think it became too big too quickly. The "subtle" use of Jane Lynch in season one (she's hilarious in everything she does), has turned into over exposure. My guess is that the writer's know what worked for this show, and the people pulling the pursue strings said: People responded well to music, Jane Lynch, and conflict...Go beat these things into the ground before people tire of those as well. Thumbs down. I've removed it from my DVR queue. Best of luck cast. You're talented, but your network sucks.

May 12, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Guest

This show has jumped the shark. I liked it when they would sing as practice for the finals . That has been forgotten and now they just break out into song randomly and its turning into a musical which is boring as a guy. They wrapped up the plots way too quick and now its not interesting.

May 12, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Marcy

What an amazing show. As a mother of 2 wonderful teenagers. We watch together and often are very impacted by the story lines as well as the music. Keep it going!!

May 12, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |