May 12th, 2010

'Glee' creator calls for boycott of Newsweek

Add “Glee” creator Ryan Murphy to the list of folks displeased with writer Ramin Setoodeh.

Murphy is calling for a boycott of Newsweek, which published Setoodeh’s article about why he believes gay actors can’t pull off playing straight characters.

The article specifically mentioned actor Jonathan Groff who joined the cast of “Glee” this season as a romantic lead opposite one of the female stars of the show. In the Newsweek article, Setoodeh says that Groff seems like a “theater queen” on the series.

EW.com reports that Murphy joined friend and occasional “Glee” guest star Kristin Chenoweth, who earlier slammed Setoodeh for his essay titled “Straight Jacket.”

“This article is as misguided as it is shocking and hurtful,” Murphy said in an open letter. “It shocks me because Mr. Setoodeh is himself gay. But what is the most shocking of all is that Newsweek went ahead and published such a blatantly homophobic article in the first place…and has remained silent in the face of ongoing (and justified) criticism.”

Murphy, who is gay, is urging people to boycott Newsweek until it offers an apology for the article.

Watch Setoodeh discuss the issue on “The Joy Behar Show”

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television

1. dnes novinata

Excellent post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Very helpful info particularly the ultimate section :) I deal with such info a lot. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very long time. Thanks and good luck.

April 17, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. plumbing

Wonderful submit, very informative. I'm wondering why the opposite experts of this sector don't realize this. You must proceed your writing. I am confident, you've a huge readers' base already!|What's Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & help different users like its aided me. Great job.

April 16, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. giveitasecondlook

So.....apparently the Newsweek writer never saw Spring Awakening.

July 26, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. millie

So P.C.- can't anyone have an opinion anymore. Again, Sean Hayes just doesn't have that crossover attractiveness. I know gay men who don't find him cute. It matters.

May 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Shannon

If gay men can not convincingly play straight characters, then how can Neil Patrick Harris, who has been out for almost four years (since November 2006) play one of the most well-known womanizers on television right now? -_-

May 12, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mhg

Go Newsweek!

Though, Gay's do a realy good job acting out the poor little picked on person that everyone is bullying.

The reality is, most of us don't care that you are gay. We just fed up with the constant fight of you wanting us to care that you are gay.

May 12, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Don

Everyone's so touchy these days. Whatever happened to being allowed an opinion?

May 12, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Really

Boycott is an over used, reactionary word of late. Why does everyone call for a boycott when they don't agree with an opinion? I thought that's what being American stood for. I don't watch Glee or read Newsweek but think that Newsweek shouldn't be penalized for publishing the opinion of another. I would think that a gay man writing this article would have a less biased opinion than the straight community. Grow up people and while your at it pretend that you are not invisible when posting/ Perhaps you would put a bit more thought into what it said and consider others feelings.

May 12, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Robert M. Noonan

Some people need to get over having a hissy fit every time someone says or writes something they don't like. Cry me a river build a bridge and get over it. Its called free speech. Silly Grrs

May 12, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gary

This is nothing but a self serving publicity stunt to save their show.

It isn't about being Gay.

They are just trying to gain public support. I hope it gets them the boot. Pulling out the "Gay card" is pretty desperate don't you think?

May 12, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. matt

well if the guy who made the article is himself gay, then whats the problem? i see that there can be a problem that can arise if the article was read in resentment. but the guy was just giving his opinion, his gay-to-straight opinion. i havent read the article myself, but it sounds like a legit thing. im just saying, maybe murphy blew this thing way out of poportion.

May 12, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jonathan

I think Ryan Murphy should just buy Newsweek. It is for sale after all. He could probably get it for a song since all newsmagazines are pretty much read online now.

May 12, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John Brown

What would NPH do?

May 12, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JRQ

I'm with you LOL.
    I watch Glee and I would never waste my time on Newsweek unless it was the only thing in my dentist's waiting room.
    I prefer the Economist and the New Yorker.

May 12, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. KRS

Jack James: Richard Hatch from Survivor is gay but the actor (that IS what we're talking about here) from Battlestar Galactica is NOT gay!

Daisy: I totally agree about Jonathan Groff. I know he's gay and yet I find him crazily attractive and wishing he would switch teams but alas I am fine just getting to enjoy the view. By the way, this makes Setoodeh's article even more moot since I am OBVIOUSLY buying him playing straight!

May 12, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  16. me

Is this a gay on gay hate crime? It's Newsweek and nobody reads this periodical anymore. Ergo, no one would have known about the article had Ryan not directed people's attention to it.

Read The Economist.

May 12, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kris

If gay actors can't play straight... Then how come they have to come out of the closet? Wouldn't they just be known as gay? This Newsweek article was very ignorant... I'm a gay man that "played" a straight man for 24 years... If I couldn't pull it off, then why the shock when people found out? lol... **sigh** @Newsweek....

May 12, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Dave

Of course gay actors can play straight characters. But Jonathan Groff does not pull of straight very well, or teenager for that matter.

May 12, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  19. c.

Neil Patrick Harris is right!

May 12, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Rich B

Isn't Newsweek for sale because they don't have enough readers? Will a boycott be able to do any more harm? I'm gay, I don't agree with what this guy thinks, but I don't care that he says it.

May 12, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  21. kmp

Really newsweek what about Will and Grace.

May 12, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Calm Down

I'm not sure if most on here have read the article. As a gay man myself, I did read the article and thought that it would be the springboard for a good discussion of the issues. One of the main points of the article was that straight actors have always had to consider the "risks" of playing gay in the movies. It seemed that Tom Hanks changed much of that fear with "Philadelphia." On the other hand, if you rewind to the days when "Brokeback Mountain" was being made, the two lead actors were repeatedly asked if they were afraid that if they made the movie, their careers would be harmed. The other point of the article was that once an actor, who has heretofore been thought of as straight, comes out as gay, the viewing audience has a hard time of then accepting them in straight roles after their admission. Would a "macho" actor like a Sean Connery have been offered roles like lady-killer James Bond if he were gay and had come out to the public? Those were the main points of the article. Another side issue was discussing the difficulty that some gay men, who exhibit more effeminate mannerisims in their daily lives, have to deal with when they are given a role which is unquestionably straight. If anyone has seen "The Birdcage" then they know what a problem it was for Nathan Lane's character to pull of "macho' straight man.

May 12, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  23. John

There are plenty of gay men that can pull of a straight role -so well that even their own wives don't know they're gay.

May 12, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Sean

Is Newsweek even really relevant anymore?

May 12, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Charlie

Glee sucks. Newsweek sucks.

That is all.

May 12, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Mike

Isn't that the point of acting? You don't have to actually hate Jews to play a Nazi in a World War II movie. Just like you don't actually have to be straight to play a gay man or vice versa. With this line of thinking R. Lee Ermey would have been a busy man in all those war movies since Jack Nickolson, Kevin Bacon, Marlon Brando, Josh Hartnett, etc all unfit to play military roles since they were never in the army/marines or went to war.

May 12, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Joe

Tom Cruise always does a fantastic job. Journalists obviously don't do the research that they used to.

May 12, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  28. AllBiz

Tom Selleck.........c'mon Tom, ADMIT it!!!!

May 12, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jackson

Matt Bomer pulls it off perfectly and has women and many men swooning...

May 12, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jim

Review of rent Glee episodes can be read here... Glee

May 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  31. BDu

Why in the hell should a magazine apologize for printing an opinionated article? What's next, taking public opinion polls before printing stories? People really are becoming stupid.

May 12, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Joining in

I was panicking over Richard Hatch too but I think there are two out there – one was an actor in the 70's, the other was on Survivor.

May 12, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Judi

I love “Glee,” but still believe in free speech, oopsie daisy. Reading this kind of made me want to boycott “Glee” though. Maybe they should take a note (pun!) from “Community” and poke fun at the situation, rather than getting all butthurt and angry. “Community” is streets ahead of “Glee” in terms of not taking oneself too seriously! And wait. All this time we’re supposed to be BELIEVING the romantic relationship between Rachel and Jesse?! I don’t think he “seems gay,” but I do think he seems like a typical musical theater star in high school – narcissistic and sneaky. I’ve never bought that he was interested in Rachel.

May 12, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Tarpon

Right on, Dave in CT. Sue is one the best TV characters ever created. Awesome.

May 12, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Dave in Connecticut

I agree with Mr. Setoodeh. There does not seem to be too many masculine roles being played on the show, not believable anyway. With the exception of Kurt's father and the principal and the Glee teacher. All the boy characters seem light in the loafers. I can't watch Kurt he just confusses the heck out of me because he is so flamboyant and just ridiculous at times. I watch the show mainly for the character "Sue" she is just so funny.

May 12, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Haley

I don't agree with what newsweek did, however, we have the right to voice our opinions whether they are wrong or not. He didn't call anyone names. Every actor has been criticized for their acting at one point....does that mean we have to boycott them as well?

Bottom line is: We all have the right to say what we feel....however, be prepared to get hate mail if you do......

May 12, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Scott

IDK but the best scene on said subject was Nathan Lane in "Birds of a Feather" when as a straight guy was playing a very gay guy trying to walk like John Wayne (ditto for his French counterpart in the original film). Brilliant.

May 12, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jeff

So a gay man wrote an article stating his view that gay actors can't successfully portray straight characters. He is free to think whatever he wants and the first amendment says he is free to say so. Now Newsweek published it. I don't see where they have done anything wrong.
    Obviously gay men have been playing straight characters for a long time as evidenced by the examples above, Rock Hudson etc.
    So to all those getting all bent out of shape by what this guy wrote, all I can say is to echo what my wife told my daughter the other day about something, "Put on your big girl panties and deal with it."
    And a boycott of Newsweek, cancelling subscriptions – oh grow up. Boo hoo, someone doesn't agree with me. Wha wha wha.

May 12, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Tarpon

Someone get me an ambulance. I just strained myself while trying to care.

May 12, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  40. femmeknitzi

Yeah, I read that article and thought it was crap. I didn't know that the actor in question was gay so he didn't come off like a 'theater queen' at all. I have no idea if the actor playing Kurt is gay or straight, nor do I care. Just goes to show that it's all perception wrapped in the author's personal prejudices.

May 12, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  41. mbradm

Hello?!?! Rock Hudson, Clift Montgomery, Richard Chamberlain... countless people throughout the history of Hollywood have been closeted and were completely accepted as straight. Sad state of a life but it happened and they were successful. Blanket judgments like that are just ignorant.

May 12, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Travis

"It's not censorship. It's a boycott. Learn the difference."

Yet boycotts can just as easily be used as a form of censorship. Varying levels of censorship hide within many of the things that happen on a routine basis. One of those areas would be famous or popular individuals calling for a "boycott" of someone or something.

It might not be as straightforward as blacking out words or the law stepping in to stop you from saying what it wants. But attempting to run a company out of business until they only say what you want them to say ... that's tantamount to some level of censorship.

May 12, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  43. tehheh

NPH is one funny fella! I enjoy his work, that's it. He's not my friend, so his personal life doesn't have relevance to me. That's the problem with news these days. Too much irrelevant garbage and not enough news about politics, the environment and other more important things than the lives of spolied rich people.

May 12, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Nobody N. Particular

...and that is why it is called acting; you are pretending to be something you're not, and do so convencingly. The more your real life and your fictional life are different, the more challenging the role; and for anyone who prides themselves in being a good actor, this is the proof. As for asking people to boycott a publication because they publish something you don't agree with, that's a bit childish; instead, try writting a rebuttal in Newsweek pointing how the previous article was wrong.

May 12, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Ace

"GLEE" is for Gays, not for Straights.

Tha is why I don't watch it.

I wish they would just go back into the closet and stay there, the world was a better place when at least we thought Rock Hudson, for example, was straight.

When Men were Men and Women were Women. Unlike today.

May 12, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  46. NPH fan

NPH was cast in How I Met Your Mother because of what he did in Herald and Kumar. If gay people can't play straight people, can straights play gays?

May 12, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  47. bob6600

THE WORST EPISODE EVER......after the Nikki/Paolo debacle.......what a crappy writing job as they try to sew up the loose ends. I wanted to scream as they spent the whole show with 3 people we never saw before.....cripes!!!

May 12, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  48. tehheh

Alice: Paper magazines aren't dead, Not everyone can afford a computer, especially with the current high unemployment rate. If everyone you know has a computer than you're living at a higher economic level than most people. You're not representative so your opinion isn't all that valid because you don't have all the information. Sorry. I don't know how rich people live. I think the way the reporting is presented is what's in flux, not the reporting so much itself. Paper journalism will move to the computer slowly because there is still an audience for paper. Critics say it's too dumbed down now - that it shouldn't bother with this sorta petty stuff.

May 12, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Marie

Who watches "Glee" AND reads Newsweek? I do, for one, plus many others. So there goes that theory. I recently heard that Newsweek is having some financial difficulties lately, so they are probably trying to draw attention to themselves to stoke some public interest. Whatever. Glee is one of the cleverest shows on TV at the moment no matter what Newsweek has to say.

May 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Thomas

A good actor is a good actor, but when you know an actor is gay, its hard to separate them from that. If Russel Crow or Matt Damon play gay, we could probably tell that something was up. If you dress up Diane Lane or Ellen as a man, we'd probably know. If you put an actor in a position that they can't hope to understand, then its quite possible no matter how good they are, they won't pull it off. As for Newsweek, why punish people for expressing their opinions? Unless that is you, the gay rights activists, are against freedom of speech and expression. Or is that freedom only reserved for those you agree with? You are the fascists you hate.

May 12, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  51. JAMA

What about Rock Hudson?

May 12, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  52. bob watkins

Check out the steamy scenes between (Gay) Montgomery Clift and Elizabeth Taylor in "A Place in The Sun" for all the proof you need that a gay man cannot play a straight character.

May 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  53. D

I think that part of Sean Hayes' issue with audiences was that he played a flamboyantly gay character for a long time on the sitcom Will and Grace. That on top of the fact that he is gay in real life are two hurdles to overcome in audience PERCEPTION when he is playing a straight role. It would be different if he just had one gay role in a movie (like Brokeback) or a recurring non-flashy gay role (such as the Will character). Lots of times sitcom actors get type-casted due to playing the same type of character for years on end.

Oh-and I watch Glee and didn't know the Jesse actor was gay.

May 12, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  54. fireybuddha

whatev.

May 12, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Alice

In my opinion, Seetoodeh is totally wrong, but I do think the man's allowed to have an opinion (although the name calling, i.e. "theater queen" is out of line) and Newsweek's allowed to publish it. Besides, who cares? I'm not spending money for already outdated print media I can get instantly online for free anyways. It's a sinking ship.

May 12, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  56. tehheh

It's acting. Some actors are better than others. If a good actor really wants to portray someone or something - they'll find a way. Straights have played gays with mixed results, too. This is just made up controversy to save Newsweek. Too bad, there are more important problems in the world that people could get worked up about than the authenticity of someone's acting.

May 12, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Kevin B.

Wow, He's gay? So what, he's an actor and does a great job at it. So what do you think of Barny Stinson of "How I met your mother"?

May 12, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Steve

One needs to do ones homework, or risk appearing like an ass in public: has Mr. Setoodeh never seen the screen work of Montgomery Clift, Rock Hudson, Richard Chamberlain, Ian McKellen, Sal Mineo, Anne Heche, Peter Lorre, Rupert Everet, to name only a few. Shame on you, Mr. Setoodeh.

May 12, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Sad

It speaks to how sad our culture is that people blow a gasket over one opinion piece with which they disagree. Will these same folks boycott the Washington Post because it owns Newsweek? It truly shows how closed-minded people are when faced with a different opinion.

May 12, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  60. debra

wow, a bunch of cry babies throwing a hissy fit over someone's opinion...sounds like all those stereotypes may not be so far off...what next are they hold their breath?

May 12, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Blossom

Get Real.... I dont read Newsweek but I will purposely buy it if they boycott. What a bunch of morons!!

May 12, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  62. chuck d

whats a glee? and who cares?

May 12, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  63. M76

What he should have said is that certain gay actors can convincingly play straight. Sean Hayes and Michael Urie of "Ugly Betty" are two gay actors who could never play straight even if they wanted to, it would be laughable and embarrassing. Neil Patrick Harris and Rock Hudson are bad examples of gay men who supposedly play straight, the men Rock Hudson played frequently pretended to be gay and when acted "straight" he came off as "closeted". Neil Patrick Harris isn't so much playing a straight man as he's playing an obnoxious loud cartoonish jerk. Sorry but if you can't pull it off don't blame everyone else.

May 12, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  64. K

Frankly, I think Jonathan plays a straight guy just fine. In fact, I have a little crush on him and forget he's gay when watching the show. Shame on Newsweek.

May 12, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  65. spy

I actually watch "Glee" and I have been Newsweek subscriber for over 15 years. When I read the article last week, I thought it would kick up some dust and I was right. I'm not sure if I agree with the writer or not. I do agree that he has a right to his own opinion. There are a lot of gay guys playing straight in Hollywood and in middle America. I think many of them are doing a good job – maybe a little too good of a job.

May 12, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  66. SDK

Betty-
    a lot

May 12, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Betty

I've been a Social Worker for 23 years and I'll tell you there are allot of closet cases out there that ALWAYS lead the witchunts as it pertains to gays and lesbians. It is entirely another matter when " one of your own" turns, it's stupid, offensive and ridiculous to insinuate that a gay man can't play a straight man, It happens all the time .....it's called acting.

May 12, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Billy

Mike Brady

May 12, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Billy

And I thought every guy on GLEE was gay? Whats the problem?

May 12, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Billy

Rock Hudson.

May 12, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Joe Price

The article does come across pretty biased against even the idea of gay actors playing straight roles, which really confuses me. It's as if the writer has dismissed the idea, or any future hope for the idea, of a gay man playing a believably straight role. I completely understand people being offended by it. I'm offended by it. So long as Newsweek stops playing the role of "coach" to their "running back who violated the personal conduct policy" and issues some clarifying statement, I think all should be fine with the world.

May 12, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  72. James

Give me a break. Boycott Newsweek because you don't like a writer's opinion? Turn the page. Get up, go outside for a walk, but STOP whining for crying out loud! This is getting ridiculous. Free speech is taking a hit between the eyes by people who are easily, no scratch that, EAGER to be offended. Tough luck, people. Get over it. Life's too short to whine about every single little thing you don't like. Feel free to boycott, but don't expect everyone else to because a certain demographic has their feelings hurt.

No one deserves special treatment. Free speech is available to everyone, but in this author's case, it seems ONLY if you agree with the mob.

I'm flabbergasted that it even comes to this in the so-called 'enlightened 21st century'.

May 12, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  73. John K.

Thanks for your comments Ryan. I will also be boycotting Newsweek. The hurtful and inaccurate comments made about the extremely talented Sean Hayes and Jonathan Groff were without merit and beyond understanding especially from a gay man. (Glee is the best show on the air. Let Jonathan sing more, please!!)

May 12, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Zane

what about Kenny Chesney...he is totally gay but b/c the country music world can't handle it everyone just acts like he's straight.

May 12, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  75. SDK

Richard Hatch is gay???? Where have I been...

May 12, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Gail Snail

Who really cares? I don't care if an actor is gay or not. It doesn't affect me in anyway.

I don't read Newsweek except in a doctor's office, so a boycott from me is unnecessary.

I love Glee. One of the best shows on tv.

May 12, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  77. God

You all behave down there.

May 12, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  78. markit8dude

Oh, and Rachel on Glee is smokin hot.

May 12, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  79. markit8dude

It's called "acting" people. Does Setoodeh think that Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal were bad because they're straight playing gay men? What about River Phoenix in My Own Private Idaho? Oh, and has he ever heard of Ian MacKellen? Rock Hudson?

Boycott it because it's a lame premise for an argument.

Oh, and Glee is terrible this season. What was the Madonna episode about anyway? I'm afraid that it was a one-season-wonder.

May 12, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  80. George

Who cares what this guy says. Fact is Glee is very very gay, just ask any kid in Middle and High school. I can guarantee you they use the "F" as in gay word to describe it.

May 12, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  81. donna

What happened to free speech? Newsweek can print what it wants. I'm sure most gay actors can play straight parts. They've done it for years. Some are "out of the closet' but a lot aren't so who knows who is gay or not. I have no intention of watching Glee but those who want to can. If I don't watch I have no business complaining about it. But as of today, we in America are still free to do so. That might not be the case if Washington keeps taking our freedoms awa y, but that's my opinion.

May 12, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  82. debbie romano

Newsweek is DEAD wrong and should publish an apology

May 12, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Dick

Raymond Burr as Perry Mason. Last word.

May 12, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Brooke

Also, who watches Glee for the acting? Its a great show, yes, but I think everyone can agree that the acting is cheesy. Gay or straight- doesn't make a difference.

May 12, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Andulamb

You can be predjudiced against your own "group," and Setoodeh clearly is. His article/opinion is prejudiced because he is painting a group with a single brush stroke - "pre-judging." But why? Why did he feel it was necessary? Does he actually believe that every gay actor in a straight role stands out like a sore thumb? To this day there are rumors of certain actors being gay, but nobody knows for sure. If it was so obvious, there wouldn't have to be so much speculation. And I guarantee that there are gay actors who are completely convincing in straight roles. The only issue here is that Setoodeh feels that this one particular actor cannot convincingly portray a straight character. So why didn't he leave it at that? Why lump all gay actors together? Completely unnecessary. And prejudice.

May 12, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  86. antonwilliams

Thank goodness that Ramin Setoodeh is not a politician...he would probably vote no on all pro-gay bills...

May 12, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Brooke

Loves2read- Stanley Tucci isn't gay.

May 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Tina

What a loser. He has the right to his own opinion, but stating it in the media for all to see just highlights what a dolt he is. It's called ACTING!

There are many gay actors who play romantic leads and BTW I watch Glee and CNN and read Newsweek. It's clear that you like to generalize inaccurately just like the Newsweek loser.

May 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  89. ihatemorons

Like the same people who are watching Glee are reading Newsweek?!?!? You have to be kidding me.

Yeah that is smart – censor when someone has an opinion that does not jive with liberal Hollywood.- LOL

LOL, please step away from the computer and consult your dictionary. Jive, huh? Guess you don't read Newsweek either. Tsk,tsk.

May 12, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Roxy

I do think it's silly to ask for a boycott of the magazine... it is just an opinion, may not be a very good one, but we all have them.

May 12, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Roxy

AND I didn't know that "Jesse" was gay, could care less actually

May 12, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  92. myprettypony

I think this is funny, because this week's episode had Kurt, who is gay, try to play straight with awkward and cringe inducing results.

I'm pretty sure the article was an opinion column. Why can't the guy have an opinion? I don't necessarily agree with his opinion, but to boycott the magazine for a writer's opinion is ridiculous. The guy didn't make a statement of fact.

May 12, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  93. md in nyc

While we're at it can we boycott Andy Rooney and his goofy editorials as well? Oh wait. Editorials are only opinions and not news? Well, then I don't see a reason to boycott a mag based on an editorial. Those Hollywood people have way too much time on their hands to think about things to boycott. Why not do more good with money an power than care about trivial nonsense?
    Glee rocks! and I'm not gay.

May 12, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Roxy

I watch Glee AND read Newsweek

May 12, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Jodey

Two words: ROCK HUDSON.

May 12, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  96. TomInGreeley

Why any straight male would watch Glee, American Idol and So You Think You Have Seizures, whoops I mean Can Dance. They are all cr*p and need to be taken off TV. Who cares what some idiot writes in Newsweek.

May 12, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Ja-Dog

People, newsweek made a provactive article to draw attention. You do understand this is what they do for a living, right? Look how many people are talking about Newsweek now. Hook, line, and sinker on all of you...Like shootin' fish in a barrell...Regardless of whether or not he really feels this way, are you going to stop watching you sow or buying the magazine? I highly doubt this was their worst article. If you think it is, then you don;t read Newsweek very much.

May 12, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Lisa

I also did not know "Jesse James" – the new character on Glee was played by a gay actor until that article. I didn't (don't) see him that way at all... now Kurt is different. That character obviously is, have no idea about the actor.

May 12, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  99. kat

LOL - I watch Glee and read Newsweek. So much for that theory.

May 12, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Jen

I didn't even know that Jonathan Groff was guy until that article came out. I was shocked and I don't beleive it will make a differance at all.

May 12, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Lisa

Hey LOL – here is a 20+ year Newsweek subscriber who read that article and thought WOW. I was shocked. And I have not missed a single episode of Glee – love it. There are both....

May 12, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  102. ken

To me this is about someones right to express their opinion. Murphy has a right to repsond. Calling for a boycott goes to far though in my opinion. If you boycott your also saying this writer doesn't have the right to express his opinion. If your argument is the right one, it will prevail.
    Weather a gay guy can play a straight guy? How trivial is that? That may be what the article is about, but its not the issue here that is most important.

May 12, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Jeremy

Take a clue from Southern Baptists... boycotts DON'T WORK!

May 12, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  104. ken

and I don't mean "true" like all stereotypes are true. I mean, the jokes felt honest. The show didn't condescend to you, it challenged you really. It was inclusive and they made it that way while still pointing out how we are all different. That to me was one of the beautiful things about the early shows.
    And it's also why I am kind of aghast at Murphy's call for a boycott here. I suspect his show was in fact toned down for its "offensiveness", and thats why now it most sucks.

May 12, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Ug

@Jack James? You cancelled your subscription *gasp* until a retraction is printed? Gimme a break, and give others the right to express their opinion as you would expect others to allow you to do.

May 12, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  106. eastcoast6

Newsweek lacks credibility anyway. If they needed to sell some mags, they sure published the right article. Controversy = revenue.

May 12, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Frank

Watch the video. Apparently that's not what the article was about.

May 12, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  108. ken

The Newsweek writer has a right to express his opinion. Calling for a boycott of Newsweek to me is an attempt to infringe on those rights. Disagree and state your point if you wish, but I am boycotting Glee in defense of the first amendment.
    I am also boycottig Glee because the show has gone completely downhill since the first 5 or so episodes. They are turnining it into character driven love triangle schlock. The jokes suck now. Guest stars pass through like its a house of ill repute. The songs barely fit in with the story lines. The interesting takes on high school culture are practically non-existant. The characters used to be these blantant stereotypes, and that opened up a whole new angle with which to look at high school. It kept the characters and stories from seeming so self absorbed, but still gave the show a way to communicate how self absorbed high school really is, but in a way that didn't make you vommit. The jokes were non-pc and unapoligetic, but they flew at all types in equal proportion. They equally offended everyone and they felt true. The story mixed in with the songs well, and the choices were thoughtfull, for a while you got to watch something like you had never seen. They had it. This show was lightning in a bottle for about 5 episodes.

May 12, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Mark

It's just an opinion, right or wrong. The man has a right to state his opinion, just as you all do. Get over it and stop wasting time, you're talking about Hollywood, not something of any importance.

May 12, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Ty

Loves2read, just and FYI, Stanley Tucci is not gay. He was married until his wife died in 2009.

May 12, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Mavent

The fact that the only name most of us can come up with is Neil Patrick Harris probably makes him the exception that proves the rule. :) But seriously, their might be DOZENS of gay actors playing straight parts in Hollywood, without any of us knowing about it.

May 12, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Here

May 12, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Loves2read

Guy said that gay actors don't play straight–
    Joy called him on Neil Patrick Harris and he junked it way but Stanley Tucci played the husband of Julia Childs against Meryl Streep's Julia and did a great job...

May 12, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  114. ej

I am not usually a fan of Hollywood spouting their political opinions (like everyone is supposed to care) but I think that Murphy has a point. It is ridiculous to assume that because someone is gay that they can't play straight people and Murphy is right to call for a boycott of Newsweek.

May 12, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  115. smitty werbenmanjensen

Dear LOL,

It's not censorship. It's a boycott. Learn the difference.

May 12, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  116. Cait

Yeah, Neil Patrick Harris plays an amazing straight man and he is a gay man.

May 12, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  117. scoobydo

Rock Hudson did it for years.

May 12, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  118. MommaM

I love watching Glee and until I read this article on CNN had no idea the actor playing the role was gay – enough said. I don't care what Newsweek has to say – people have their opinions – I have mine. Go Glee!!!!

May 12, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  119. Daisy

Setoodeh can write whatever he wants, but he's wrong about Jonathan Groff. As a straight woman who is a fan of Groff's since Spring Awakening and knows he is gay, I still find him VERY attractive and perfect as the character Jesse on Glee.

May 12, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  120. Jack James

OH yeah...and Ryan Murphy is the CO-creator along with Brad Ellis

May 12, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  121. Jack James

how about Rock Hudson, Richard Chamberlain, Montgomery Clift or Richard Hatch???
    Yes, there are people out there whose femininity makes it hard to accept them as straight. But there are farm more gay people out there that are just as masculine if not more so than many straight people I know.

I have just called and cancelled my subscription to Newsweek and made it quite plain that I wouldnt re-up til a retraction or apology is published.

May 12, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  122. "Gay" Men Fighting? --NewsWEAK.

Why do we pay so much attention to gay men fighting? What if they are both drama queens. Let the lesbians be the premier Gay culture Representatives for a while. These guys are just broken dolls.

May 12, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  123. darlene d

First off, I don't read Newsweek because its just as boring as Time and the rest of those period magazines; therefore, I have no reason to boycott it.

That being said, I agree with @Him for mentioning Neil Patrick Harris. He really is a genious and can pull off playing a straight man better than one who is actually straight! Sometimes I forget that he is gay because he plays the character so well.

May 12, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  124. scroo yoo

I couldnt watch glee.To me,its a completely lame show,and there isnt anything i can wrap my head around on it.

With that said,Newsweek is wrong.

May 12, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  125. Dave Yaeck

LOL is right. Unfortunately Ryan, opinions are like A Holes, everyone has them. That fact that Jonathan is Gay and he can play a straight person shows how good of an actor he is.

Ryan, you just gotta let it go and know that your show just flat out ROCKS no matter what.

May 12, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  126. LOL

May 12, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  127. Him

Neil Patrick Harris. Nuff said.

May 12, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |