May 11th, 2010

The next Susan Boyle?

She needed help walking onto the stage, but 81-year-old Janey Cutler didn't need any help in bringing the audience on "Britain's Got Talent" to their feet.

After singing a strong rendition of "No Regrets," the mother of seven, grandmother of 12 and great-grandmother of four is being called the next Susan Boyle. A video of her performance on YouTube had more than 800,000 hits by Tuesday morning at 10 a.m.

Cutler was discovered in Glasgow, Scotland - the same city where Boyle was found by "Britain's Got Talent" last year. And while her hand shook a bit during the song, her voice soared. See the video of her performance here.

Filed under: Music • television

1. Freightmover

She is incredible!

May 14, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Alex

OH MY GOSH!!! I COULDNT BEILVE IT!!

May 12, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. carolyn

I saw this on YouTube just yesterday and to those of you above who have chosen to be unkind in your remarks, firstly, I do not believe she wants to be the next Susan Boyle, her friends encouraged her and she decided to take a chance, secondily, this is SINGING...will those being so critical have the ability at her age of even have this kind of lung power-NOT! if you did not like what you saw or heard-–do what everyone does, don't listen-move on. She is a truly amazing and is a lady.....let her enjoy her moment in the sun and beside all that Susan Boyle is only in her late 40s-early 50s--so the career thing is a no brainer, duh!

Remember this, when we choose to be uncessarily nasty, cruel, whatever our choice of words---those words can never be taken back and may just come back to bite you in the fanny.

May 12, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. *sami*

ya'all gotta be kidding – this is REALLY bad.

May 11, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bdog

omg!!!!!!!!!!!! i jst watched dis and........- no words.. aweseom!!!!!

May 11, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. will

Watching her and listening to that beautiful voice makes life worth living.

May 11, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. pepper

Super granny! But sorry to say:There's no comparing to Susan Boyle. She is and was an phenomenon. After four days she had ten million hits on You Tube, not seen before or after. But most important: Susan's voice make people stop and listen, even cry, she communicates directly with her wonderful voice. This granny can sing, but not move emotions.

May 11, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. NC Reader

OMGGGGGGGG!!!
    WOWWWWWW!!
    They should declare her the winner and take her straight to the Queen's Palace.

May 11, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dhudz

beautiful! edith piaf classic..:)

May 11, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jason

I saw this last week. Wow is right. I hope she makes it to play for the queen. This might be her last chance. If you live in England this is the act to vote for.

May 11, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kul

No I'm not "an" horrible person. Maybe you should learn English, before posting your insightful comments about me. Once again, I'm not attacking anybody here, I'm just saying that she is nothing special. All these comments about "bringing tears to my eyes" are overdramatic imo.
    Actually reading all these comments brings tears to my eyes – frmo my laughing non-stop. Thanks guys, you're a funny bunch.

May 11, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Candice Williamson

I just watched this video clip and all i can say is "WOW". Janey you do have talent and I think you are great!!

May 11, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. AAA

Kul This is for you! You must be an horrible person. I wish you live up to her in the first case and am sure you are a waste to society. Just for next time if you don't have anything just keep your nonsense comments to yourself. Am sure you are a frustrated person but pray that God will heal you? Appreciate what is good it makes you a better person.

May 11, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ohsnap

Holy Crap...what a set of lungs! Not one note missed. I personally think Susan Boyle is overrated but this woman can sing. WOW.

May 11, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Emily

Such a wonderfully powerful, full voice she has! The talent of this woman has been obviously cultivated over many years of performing. Nothing artificial about it. Bravo!

May 11, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Ken in NC

WOW. I just listened to Granny sing. This woman is great. She is tough out there on stage. I wonder if she might be the mother of Susan Boyle? She brought tears to all 4 of my eyes. I noticed too that no one judged her either like they did Susan Boyle. Guess they learned their lesson.

YOU GO GRANNY

May 11, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sherry R.

YOU GO! That was awesome! I had goose bumps.

May 11, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  18. kul

I just don't understand what's so special about this? Should we reward her for this just because she's old? I guess we should also giver her props for getting up on the stage and not passing out.

She's nothing special. Also, Nancy2, I didn't say anything to you or about you. I don't see the point of talking abt my lifespan.

May 11, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Nancy2

Kul – Interesting – and ThankfullyDeaf –

Just hope YOU can do NEARLY as well when YOU'RE 81 years old – IF you live that long !!!!!!!!!!!

May 11, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mary D

Janey your voice is amazing. People like Janey how have natural talent is far and few between.
    I would love to see her on the US version. You go Janey.

May 11, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Victoria Barmak

This is called LIVING!!!!!!

May 11, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  22. zephyrwinds

An absolutely amazing voice, very strong and she sang it beautifully for anyone at any age.
    Why do some people find they have to call names and insult? I guess they are just young and ignorant, schools are failing us and the parents who raise these deliquents. Too bad, to get respect, you must give it and therefore they will never have any. They will always be the "fringe".

May 11, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  23. From Texas

I have never watched u-tube videos. I am not an internet junkie. I watched this atleast 14 times. It brought tears. She was simply, just simply amazing. It teaches us all a lot, does it not. What an appropriate choice of song.

May 11, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Eve

Tears to my eyes. I wish all news were this positive and up lifting!

May 11, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Kathy

She's a sweet lady with a powerful voice for her age. She had a great time and I hope she gets further in the contest. But the next Susan Boyle? Hardly. Somehow I just don't see her having the #1 album in the world, and I doubt that she wants that anyway.
    I hope that the media won't turn on this woman like they did Susan Boyle.

May 11, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ruby Red

Hey Hela
    Your are HELLA STUPID !!!

May 11, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. lucyna

Fantastic!!!

May 11, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  28. kul

Meh, my 4 yr old cousin can sing better than this old hag.

May 11, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  29. nan

Glad to see Janey Cutler came out on stage to a warm reception, unlike the disgraceful reception Susan Boyle came out on the stage to. Kudo's to both women!!!

May 11, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Karen

Janey Cutler , you go girl! I think she's WONDERFUL!

May 11, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  31. lisbeth

i wish i did......

May 11, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  32. lisbeth

im just kidding

May 11, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  33. lisbeth

very nice grandma i kno her

May 11, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Steve

Have you seen the talent on American Idol this year? It's bad enough to want to make you puke. This is by far the worse American Idol season ever. Paula Abdul was smart to leave the show already and Simon Cowell is also smart enough to see the writing on the wall for American Idol. Can you imagine 81 year old Janey Cutler on American Idol if they would allow her to sing on the show? The young contestants on American Idol would all be running home to their mama's and living in shame if Janey Cutler appeared on the show. Thank god Simon is starting a new show in the US called "The X Factor" where anybody at any age can sing in the show. Maybe in the US we will find our next Janey Cutler or Susan Boyle.

May 11, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  35. sceptic

the compulsory miracle child
    the compulsory clowns
    the compulsory dance group
    and Mrs Cutler the compulsory caterpillar-turned-butterfly

have seen it all before.

May 11, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Symon

Why don't they do this in the US? or do they....American Idol for over 30?
    This is fantastic....gave me goose bumps.

May 11, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Overjoyed

I too was filled with tears over Janey's performance. I hope too that I am still above ground and able to get around with all my faculties like Janey.

May 11, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  38. guest2010

GOD BLESS JANEY CUTLER!!!! She AMAZING! Did anyone notice how Simon and Piers did NOT pre-judge her like they did when Susan Boyle came on stage. I think they learned their lesson that you DON'T judge a book by its cover.

YOU GO GIRL!!!!

May 11, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Nancy

Now here is a class act. Glad the judges recognized real talent in spite of their usual eye-rolling based on appearance. Guess if she had been a 21 year old blondy, they would have taken her more seriously? *&^% that. This gal has more class and talent in her baby finger.

And Simon, please have a little respect and don't call her "darling" again.

Go Janey.

May 11, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  40. ThankfullyDeaf

Oh man that was awful. If I wasn't deaf to begin with I would have to shove kabob skewers into my ears to be able to get that sound out of my head.

May 11, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Sarah

Beautiful performance!

May 11, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  42. ronnie

Thank you Janey you made touched my heart and made me cry. God bless you.

May 11, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Interesting

That was horrible I have regrets now. My hearing may never recover...OMG that was terrible.

May 11, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Cecilia

I smiled all through this. And I mean that in a good way! You rock, Janey!

May 11, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Faustino

Just wonderful!. I'm till with tears in both eyes as I watched this lady singing and saying "I'm just thankful to be here tonight"
    She will be young forever in our hearts!

May 11, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  46. cadreamer

Wow! Still wiping the tears from my eyes! That was so moving and beautiful. To see someone with such incredible talent finally have her moment is amazing. :) I hope she wins! I'm so tired of these no-talent, sensationalized pre-teens. We need singers with substance and humility like Janey. Bravo!!

May 11, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  47. AJGS_USA

I have often wondered why young people treat elders as though they were a different breed; without regard or respect. The generation that Janie comes from is in a league that we can only aspire to imitate. We can scarcely imagine where the courage and grace they exude comes from.

May 11, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Andrew

Just fabulous to see and hear wonders like this..."Just glad to be here"...youbetcha!...

May 11, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Interesting

And if you think this rocks just wait until the plane flies from the water at the park and gets all the girls in bikini's wet...now that will be something to see.

May 11, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  50. doris

Super sharing and hearing Janey!! She gives me goose bumps
    listening to her. Shall add her to special others who I will always
    remember. Thanks for the excitement and joy of being with you!

May 11, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  51. HELA

Who is Susan Boyle, again?

May 11, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Three Dog Mama

Hard to believe that Janey is 80! She looks wonderful. Great voice. And the crowd did love her! Thank you Glasgow for another wonder!

May 11, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  53. 2centhag

Awesome! Rock on Janie!

May 11, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  54. carol

I feel sure Janey would much prefer to be the first Janey Cutler instead of constantly being touted as the "next" anyone, BGT and the media are working so desperately to recreate a unique moment and talent instead of praising people with talent for their own special abilities.
    It is really getting tiresome, and frankly a little silly.

May 11, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  55. NJ Reader

another internet sensation in making. superb voice. awsome video. must watch for all. I love susan boyle voice but don't mind granny break susan's record on youtube.

May 11, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Omaha Reader

I've just watched the video clip and wow! I wish I am this healthy and full of life like this woman. When she said "I'm just thankful to be here tonight..." I started to cry... What a great spirit! She does remind me of my grandma (who I love so much)... I don't care if she is the next Susan Boyle or not, but I am sure many many people will fall in love with this video clip... Good luck to you, Janey Cutler!...

May 11, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |