May 11th, 2010

'Idol' Top 4 dive right in to performance night

testing captions
testing captions

The first thing I thought when I heard Jamie Foxx would be mentoring "American Idol" tonight is whether any of the contestants are going to be auto-tuned.

That's one music industry trend I wish would go far, far away. So annoying. I'm with Jay Z in terms of longing for the death of auto-tune.

The festivities just began, and we get to see all of the contestants' faces super huge on the screen.

"This is your Top 4, and this ... is American Idol!"

Let's roll.

1. Palpapege

Hello

I am a uninitiated urchin and I'm looking as a remedy for challenges in their lives. Recently I meditation I could start practicing in the gym to look like Arnold. I do not know what supplements I filch my muscles began to raise rapidly. Can you announce to me something, something blossom up so fast?

Most talented regards
    Odżywki Warszawa

June 22, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Me

Siobhan got the willies. She will eventually flourish in another arena. Mike seems a little overly confident. It seems Mike wants pity for all the issues in his life. Everyone has issues but others don't share them. Can't win on pity votes.Casey will stay because he is a great guitarist and singer. Lee and Mamasox will be the last two standing. She sings from within and shows it too. Who wins? They all win! This won't be the last time we hear from any of them. They will have gigs.

May 12, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mark

Jamie fox is a great artist but a terrible mentor. He just pretty much mailed it in.

May 12, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. AIGirl

BOOOOOOO MIKKKEEE.. LETS GO CASEY AND LEE!!!!!!!

May 12, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  5. finola

If the previous shows have been trainwrecks, this one was a nuclear bomb! Recognizing that this is the weakest bunch of pretenders ever on Idol, this show overall was astonishingly bad. This show has effectively destroyed itself. This Top 4 is the worst in history – no personality, no stage presence, no vocal range.

out of the four contestants left, Lee Dewyze should be the next one to fly the friendly skies. His consistent pitchy, off-key singing needs some assistance from a vocal coach. About Crystal….even though I really like “bluesy” arrangements, for some reason, I didn’t like this version of “I’m Alright”. I much prefer the Kenny Loggins version….it just works much better. Crystal is really good and I usually like her song choices and arrangements, but she is similar to other entertainers out there…..most of her songs and arrangements sound the same. It’s kinda like the ‘ole saying, “If you’ve heard one, you’ve heard them all”.

I thought Big Mike did a pretty good job on the “Free Willy” number. It was a typical Gospel-sounding version that obviously works for him. He seemed to stay on pitch and his performance was (in Simon’s famous words)…. believable.

Casey’s version of Mrs. Robinson was pretty good as well. It wasn’t an exciting song, but he performed a very good version of the song. He just needs to show more emotion and connect with the audience. About the duets…….Big Mike and Casey’s performance was better than Crystal and Lee’s performance. Casey and Mike performed a nice arrangement of “Have you Really Ever Loved a Woman” and Casey showcased his incredible acoustic guitar skills. Casey and Mike actually sounded good together and complimented each other.

What’s left for a season in which one of the heavily hyped frontrunners never could sing in tune, and now that his voice is shot, has got absolutely nothing left to offer at all, not even to those who liked that raspy mess when it still had its limited range. Why on earth did they pimp this guy when he had little to offer when he was fresh and would therefore have NOTHING to offer when fatigued? I can think of other overhyped finalists but at least they were amusing in some way. Lee? Looks and sounds like the paint salesman he is.

May 12, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. usedtowatch

Without Siobhan, this show is weak.

May 12, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  7. willyboy

Which MJ song is Mike going to sing???

May 11, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. willyboy

Gee, Kara agrees, but still likes him– Simon really says he stunk-

May 11, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. willyboy

Lee is still half & half-- parts good, parts bad- not the right song, I think.

May 11, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. protogere

I agree with you for autotuning Lisa, it really hides the inadequacies of vocalists which is great for the record companies but is such a falsity for the fans.

May 11, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mozart4898

OMG I'm so ready for auto-tune to go the way of the dinosaurs too. It's crazy that you don't even have to be able to sing to be a "singer" now.

May 11, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |