May 10th, 2010

Barbara Walters to undergo heart surgery

Talk show host Barbara Walters announced Monday she will undergo surgery this week to replace a faulty heart valve.

"I have known of this condition for a while now, and my doctors and I have decided this is the best time to do the surgery," the 80-year-old co-host of ABC's "The View" said at the opening of Monday's program, which was dedicated to "Hot Topics."

"I love you all, and that's my hot topic for this morning," she told her studio audience after announcing her plans. Walters predicted she would be gone from the show for one to three months, "and then I can come roaring back."

Walters said an echocardiogram had revealed that one of her heart valves "was getting tighter and smaller," though it had not caused her any symptoms.

Asked if she was scared, Walters said, "I don't think I'm really scared. I'm glad it's going to be over with. It's going to be taken care of, and it's been on my mind for a long time."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. ELSIE HUMPHREY

I SURELY WISH YOU ALL THE BEST BARBARA. MY HUSBAND HAD HEART SURGERY AND HAD NO SYMPTONS BEFOREHAND. YOU, MY DEAR ARE ONE OF MY VERY FAVORITE .

May 13, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dixie

As Gilda Radner would say "get better soon Bar ba ra Wa Wa". You are quite a lady and know how to live ... so get it fixed and get back out there and live, love and be happy...dixie.

May 13, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jennifer

I have really enjoyed BW for many years, and was shocked to hear she needed heart surgery. To all of you negative people , God is listening , anyway hope you get better soon Barbara and come back stronger than ever!

May 11, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. alumette

sorry for the typo: everyday.

May 11, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. alumette

For the cynicals who think that sort of surgery should not be done on "old" people, I say anything can be done if you are productive and you can afford it. It is done everyday on seniors whether they can afford it or not...definitely Barbara can afford it....and she certainly is productive. It is best to change these valves as calcific debris can also be a cause for strokes...done all day and eveyday....a piece of cake.

May 11, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. alumette

Of course it is causing symptoms...what is she saying ? I am guessing it is the aortic valve but it could be the mitral. When valves are getting calcific, they tighten the space for the blood to flow through and the symptoms are usually out of breath and tired people......older people specifically. She looks fabulous for 80. Unbelievable what plastic surgery can do for a woman. I wish her the best. She should recover pretty quickly...six weeks maybe.

May 11, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. toosilly

So, Barbra is taking her heart out of the jar and put back in? maybe now she'll have a personality.

May 11, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Adeline M Garbie

I am having an aortic valve replacement done about June 7th 2010,I had a massive heart attack Oct 22,2007 which caused it.I am 66 and I well be watching and hearing hopefully about your surgery and recovery.I have lung disease due to small cell lung caner in 1997 and had 12 wks to live and here I am.Wishing you the best of luck and get well soon.

May 11, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Debra

For all those with something rude to say...keep it to yourself...we don't care...Didn't your Mother ever teach you "if you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY IT AT ALL!!!!!"
    And to Barbara, hope your surgery is uneventful and your recovery is fast! God Bless!

May 11, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lisa Belcher

You're a remarkable lady that doesn't look or act anywhere near your age. My prayers and thoughts are with you. I know you'll do well.
    love,
    Lisa

May 11, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. moon627

Praying for a successful surgery and recovery and Wishing you the best Babs !

Its a shame there are vile people posting negative comments here but karma will get them so no worries ;)

May 11, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Diane

Didn't know Barbara had a heart.

May 11, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Gee

When medium James Van Praagh told her that she was ill about year ago she became so angry even though they spend their show talking and criticizing others. Looks like the meduim was right. I hope she has full recovery.

May 11, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. The Voice of Reason

Dear Barbara: The best of luck going through this surgery. They have perfected heart surgery to a the point where it is routine now and we hope your's is completed in minimal timing with no problems! I just had major body reconstruction because of an accident, and couldn't believe how easy it was! I kept waiting for some kind of serious pain, and I honestly didn't have any! They kept me medicated perfectly in the hospital, and after I got home, the strongest pain medicine I needed was two regular strengh Tylenol! I'm not saying it was a piece of cake, but it was nothing like I had envisioned it might be! God bless the wonderful doctors we have in this country who give of themselves daily that others might live! And keep working as long as you and your doctor say you can! My grandfather worked every day till he was almost 89! He was a credit to seniors everywhere! We are a well-educated force to be listened to in this country! God bless you, and keep going!

May 11, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Diana

I am ashamed of my fellow Americans who find ill will in someone else's misfortune. Democrat, Republican, fan or no fan, is it really necessary to spit out such negative vile?

Don't like the show? Don't watch it. Don't like Barbara? Don't share it. Can't say something positive? Keep quiet and let some good will get out there during these incredibly hard times for all people.
    A little kindness, even if it means keeping your mouth closed, goes farther than anything else.

May 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  16. landshark

I wish you all the best Barbara. But you're far to old for this type of surgery. There must be some other therpies that can be tried before sergury?

May 11, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Billy

Lions,Tigers and Bears oh My!

May 11, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  18. Camila

Get well soon! Dont be afraid. Ive been through 2 heart surgeries and go to the gym almost every day!

May 11, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  19. Cammy116

An EKG is often routine. If there is any irregularity an Echo (not so routine) can show the cause. I know this because I (lower middle class) just recently experienced these tests so it's not just the wealthy. People with the mentality of some of the hate being posted still shock and disgust me. You choose someone in the public eye disclosing why they will be absent from a TV show that airs every day an invitation for you to spew hate? We've become so cold-hearted that we can't wish the best for someone; we can't show any compassion or caring. Must be a very sad, angry, small existence you have.

May 11, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  20. fireplug

Wow, you mean she even has a heart? I find that very hard to believe.......

Sincerely,
    Angela Lansbury

May 11, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  21. Georgia

I too had a heart valve that was not funcdtioning properly,
    it to was getting smaller and tighter and it was beginning
    to effect my health. Had surgery last July to replace it
    and doing better. It was scary, but I am glad all is well.

Best wishes and speedy recovery Barbara, I will keep you in my prayers.

May 11, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  22. kathy

Best wishes to Ms Walters for a speedy recovery. It isn't an easy decision for anyone, no matter what their life situation is, to have heart surgery. My son did and at some point in the near future, will have to have a valve replaced,: he receives and echocardiogram yearly because of his heart disease (since he was 2...he is now 19.) Echos are a necessary procedure for anyone who has ANY kind of heart disease.
    I only wish this test was around 34 years ago, it may have been able to save my father's life had his damaged heart been seen before the autopsy.

May 11, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  23. graybird

Lots of prayers and can't wait until you are back Barbara. Love the VIEW....

May 11, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  24. John

I really, really hope she got another opinion. My sister at age 57, in 1998 died of just such surgery on her valve. Her cardiologist recommended she did not have surgery. A surgeon recommended she did. She died on the operating table.

May 11, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  25. jlee

Lydia, You are one sick individual! Barbara's affair has nothing to do with the fact that she's having heart surgery. I'm sure sure if we were to look inside your closet, it would be over-loaded with things that you are not so proud of. Remember that we are all humans, and humans make mistakes. Humans show compassion for others, I guess you can't relate because you're not one. I pray that you seek Christ, because only He can rid you the hate you so deeply carry. On a much lighter note, I pray that Barbara has a speedy recovery. God Bless!

May 11, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  26. Jim

So what? She is having a heart valve repaired/replaced. I had one replaced when I was 32 and now at 44 I am looking to have another one done. CNN hasnt interviewed me about it, nor the other tens of thousands that have had this procedure done over the years.

And yes, it is possible to have a heart valve that needs repair/replacing and not feel any symptoms. Neither valve caused me any problems but by watching them over a period of time, with proper testing, it was discovered that they needed replacing. Sometimes the first symptom, can be your last.

May 11, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  27. Tracy

I am amazed at the thoughtlessness and lack of empathy I am reading here today. First, to question her/her doctors motives by suggesting that because she did not have other symptoms that she might not be deserving or in need of the surgery. My mother passed away 6 months ago from a massive heart attack at the age of 60. She had spent the whole entire day with me and there were absolutely NO signs of the hell we were about to endure and that she'd be gone before morning.

Second, whether you like her or not is irrelevant! Any comments other than simply "wishing her the best" are unnecessary and arrogant.

What if this was your own mother or your wife?

May 11, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  28. NormaJ

GOD DOES NOT GIVE YOU ANYTHING YOU CANNOT HANDLE....PUT YOUR TRUST IN HIM, YOUR dRS AND YOUR LOVED ONES WHO WILL BE THERE FOR YOU, YOUR A GREAT LADY...GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU SAFE

May 11, 2010 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  29. karen

Barbara, my prayers are with u, i had to have a couple of stents, and just the idea of that is scary.I believe in my heart that God will pull u thru this and u will come back stronger than ever.To the people that are saying mean things about her ,i hope and prayer that a family member of yours never have to have major surgery.What u wish or say about her just might come back on u or yours.Remeber she is a mother,and some people do care for her.U uneducate people need to grow up and take a look in the mirror but, wait u probably won't like what u see, or maybe u just can't see PERIOD. continue to stay strong BW.

May 11, 2010 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  30. Ingrid Vonk

Dear Barbara,
    Good luck and a speedy recovery.

But please get rid of that Elisabeth we do not watch anymore because of her.

May 11, 2010 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
  31. Paul Aylor

Prayers to you Barbara, from someone with 4 stents in my heart. You are gonna be great and the worry that you have had is gonna go out of your head. As for all the people who send "crappy" comments..screw 'em.

May 11, 2010 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  32. gary

I am not personally fond of her either, but some of you "no life ppl" are awful rude.. How would you like ppl to comment negative of you as doctors are cutting open your chest and may not pull through?

Get a life losers....

May 11, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  33. Claudia

Barbara: Good luck to you on such operation, and looking forward to your return a stronger and vibrant woman as usual. We in Canada love you and your gals especially Joy and whoppie. Gods blessing and keep strong.

May 11, 2010 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  34. notafan

I may not like The View...in fact, I may believe The View to be nothing but a large collection of obnoxious Liberal menopause-moustachioed annoying whiners (can ANYONE tolerate Joy Behar's grating voice?)....

BUT I do wish Mrs. Walters the best, and hope for her speedy recovery. I may find her and her cronies obnoxious and intolerable, but to wish ill on ANYONE undergoing a major surgery is simply inhumane.

Best wishes Barbara. Also, please stop taping The View and spare us all of your Liberal mindless bile...after you recover from surgery, naturally.

May 11, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  35. LynnyB

Hope that all goes well with Ms. Walters surgery.

May 11, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  36. c kesling

good luck and god bless barbara !!!! my thoughts and prayers are with you ...

May 11, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  37. pierce

Oh, I forgot about the tea baggers.

They pass themselves off as proper and respectable people.
    But git them to a rally with their fellow tea baggers and watch the chaw come out and the guns in the waistbands and the bigot language start spewing.
    Essentially, the tag baggers are respectable Klan/Nazi/brownshirts who listen to and watch Sean hannity and Fox.

They would be dangerous in a group with torches.

May 11, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  38. Donna

I am 65 and I will be going through the same surgery in the near future, This is no joke. It is a means to give a person alot more years with their loved ones. Just because she is a celebrity, she also has family. Family who want her around for as many years as possible, She maybe BARBARA WALTERS, the celeb to you, but she is mom and grandmom to others. Think of that first.

May 11, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  39. Jon Simon

Barbara-

I wish you a speedy recovery from your pending surgery. I trust it will go smoothly. I have long enjoyed hearing your shows and you are a great interviewer.

Surgery is the best excuse for a long vacation! You will welcome the rest and I trust that you will feel better soon.

Best always-

Jon Simon
    jsimons9645@aol.com

May 11, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  40. pierce

As far as the mean people, to me at least, they are mainly Republicans who are not yet rich and Democrats who are not yet rich but want to be, and feel they need to be elitists to cover for their lack of money.

The rest covers a lot of America. That includes Democrats who work for a living and Republicans who just want a better future for for kids.

Those barely staying afloat are the haters, for some strange reason.
    The rich have far more important things to do than to hate people they can squish anytime they want.

May 11, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  41. Callie

I have come to like the VIEW, and will miss Barbara greatly she talks like she is a normal person and does not seem to feel she has to make fun of anyone, how great it is to see that. Take care and here is a wish you are back soon.

May 11, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  42. Bill

Hope all goes well. She'll need some rest to recover. Maybe best if she retires. Why didn't someone think of this a century ago?

May 10, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Sonia

I am absolutely blown over by all the negativity and nastiness vented towards Barbara. First off, I like Barbara and wish her all the best. However, even if I didn't like her, I wouldn't wish her ill. She never killed anyone. I save my hate for people like "hitler" (purposely not capitalized!) and current people who are "hitler" wantabes!! To Barbara,
    take care of yourself and I look forward to seeing you when you are better!

May 10, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  44. pierce

Oy! Arthur. You say: Arthur May 10th, 2010 8:04 pm ET

what she scared of – she can afford the medical bills, no need to put in claim forms or wait in line etc., and when she gets back we'll be hearing about it for months and months.....

Vel ve wish to not hear about it but ve vil! So enjoy life, Arthur!
    Breathe in the strudel and appreciate life and don't be too hard on Ms. Walters. She is a Jewish girl who did good!
    We love our babs.

May 10, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  45. pierce

Barbara, take it easy on yourself and retire!
    A woman at your age deserve a rest and the respect you can get in an emeritus position.

What you were goning to work until you are 89?
    A nice Jewish girl like you could live it up in Miami and forget all the day to day details. you have earned your time to enjoy!

So give someone younger the job you have, whatever it is.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery and enjoy life, BabsL!

May 10, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Debbie

Donna,
    That's interesting that you think the mean people on here are democrats. I would have thought they were republicans. I thought democrats were bleeding hearts - always trying to do the right thing. Republicans are usually mean-spirited and judgmental. I wish we could do a poll of the mean people on here to see if they have a political affiliation.
    I also agree with Lisa who says its no wonder terrorists blend in so easily in this country. There is a large majority of emotional terrorists in the U.S.

May 10, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Lucy

Lots of luck to a wonderful lady. Only the best of health to you. Have a speedy recovery.

May 10, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Stephanie

Bless you Barbara, and know many wish you a quick recovery.
    You are one of my most admired women.

May 10, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Bushpig61

Heart surgery? What are they gonna do, GIVE her one???

May 10, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  50. robert

Bye bye , please take the rest of the meatheads with you.

May 10, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Connie

Good luck!!! My prayers are with you...
    Hope you recover in record time.

May 10, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  52. shamwow

Hope all goes well with the heart surgery. Glad to hear that you're finally getting one.

May 10, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Mary L.

Over the years every Dr. I have ever had has noticed I have a heart murmur which has gotten more prominent over the years. Now at almost 71 it is even more prominent and I had an echocardiogram not long ago (which is NOT an EKG by the way). Now the valve is working at 62%. I suggested to the Dr. that since I'm only 70 why not repair it instead of waiting until I'm 80 and maybe not so healthy. He said that they wouldn't even look at me right now and the Medical system doesn't work that way. There never has been any indication that I even have a murmur.

May 10, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  54. carolae

Sending out well wishes to you. I had my aortic valve replaced 10 years ago at 60 and had not one bit of pain or discomfort after the surgery. I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks before I came home. I was back to work by the end of the 2nd month though the doctor said it was too early. I told him that I felt good, so why not go! Subsequently, 2 years ago, I had a dual pacemaker and everything is working fine. You have a lot of people praying for you Barbara.....you can do it!!!

May 10, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Ladyleisure

Wow! I didn't know Walters was 80 years old! W/O plastic surgery she probably would have stopped "working" at least 20 years ago. She wrote the bio so she has had a very busy and full life! WOW!

May 10, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Arthur

May 10, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  57. surenoprob

@Donna said: 'Are most of the people who monitor this site democrates? I have nothing against democrates but the majority who trash talk and wish ill on a person like they do here..."

No, most democrats don't bother with CNN anymore–you must be new around here. Stick around for an hour or two and you'll find the hateful comments mostly come from the republicans. They are a very angry bunch, especially the 20% on the far-right (teabaggers).

These fake Christians follow the teachings of Jesus not in the least, though they like to claim they are religious. Just more hypocrisy from the religious right.

However He will stand in judgement and those fake Christians will burn in heck for eternity.

May 10, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Keen

Gusty Barbara Walters at age 80 faces surgery like this ... that is inspiring from where I am sitting !

Good Luck Barbara and I will say a prayer for you and your surgeons that all goes well ... take enough time to recover and heal and we are looking forward to your coming back to the tube ... God's Blessings :)

May 10, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Jan

Neighbor and now his daughter have both had this surgery and even tho it is major surgery they are doing great. His was done maybe 20 years ago and her's last year.

We wish you the best Barbara and love the show, but know the girls will carry on while you are recovering.

God Speed and best wishes.

May 10, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  60. bay2000

Wow! I find it amazing the amount of negative comments that people have to say. Barbara is a tough woman from what I can tell and would most certainly have thick skin from some of you bozo's. But, she does have a family and has been an upstanding citizen and a role model for many. Some of you used the word "pathetic" which is dead on. How would you like if it people were saying that about your sister, aunt, grandmother, mother, etc.? Some of you out there are sick, sick people and are in dire need of some mental help!

Best of luck, Barbara, wishing you a speedy and successful recovery.

May 10, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Molly

as far as: "Hope to look as good as you when I am 80" goes: all it takes is a few million dollars for countless plastic surguries over the past 35 years. Sheesh...you people are gullable.

May 10, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Susan Cook

You will be in our thoughts Barbara. Looking forward to seeing you back soon.

May 10, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  63. swb60

I dont care for this woman and especially her views, but I will wish her a fast recovery.

May 10, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Scott

I'm shocked that she's 80.....so many women in the national spotlight age terribly, but she looks amazing.....

May 10, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Mario

And her special guests will be Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, and the star of Dr. Dolittle Eddie Murphy!! Just kidding, she'll be fine. She's Barbara Walters, she probably has the best doctors in the country operating on her.

May 10, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Roy

I'm not a fan of Barbara's but i hope she has no complications and
    the surgery goes well – get well soon barbara

May 10, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Johanne Faucher-Gambling

To our First Lady of broadcasting a speedy recovery. With your skills interview is an art. No one masters this art like you do.

May 10, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  68. johnerotten

i hope she survives the surgery!

May 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  69. terry59

I can't stand this women. However, my prayers are with you for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

May 10, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Harvey

Dear Barbara:

I have been a loyal fan of yours for years and I wish you God speed in your procedure and a quick recovery and return to your work on The View.
    You are a fine and gracious lady and I will prey for you.

H

May 10, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Frank Rizzo

When you come back, stay away from the TV/Media World you should go and enjoy the rest of life traveling, retiring is good thing grab it when you can on your own terms not when it's forced upon you. Love you babe you still make me have chills after all these years...lol best of luck your friend and biggest fan, smile America loves you.........

May 10, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Jo

Barbara ~ I don't watch television much any more ~ the content of the programs and news are so hateful and negative ~ I lost interest. Same ole thing.......everybody gets blame and nobody else takes responsibility. I may not agree with your politics etc., etc., etc., however, I respect you for who you are, what you have done with your life and your right do say and do whatever you want in the United States of America. You are so very talented and I loved when you were doing interviews with all of the "important people" of the day. These days I wished you could have interviews many who weren't so important. People who are not so important are intelligent, wise and giving, also. No matter what, Barbara, you have made a big difference in all that you have accomplished in your life.

My thoughts, prayers and good wishes go out to you.......just because your "you". God Bless ~ and forget those negative comments. When people have nothing to say......it usually comes out like that. "ignorance is bliss" to them, I suppose. One never knows when another opens their mouth~ what will come out of it....perhaps that is all there is to their life.

May 10, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Wilbur Probst

No wonder the country is turning into a haven for loonies. Why wish
    anything bad on anyone you don,t know? Those of you that do are just plain sick. Good luck smart ladt

May 10, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  74. bunny brown

Get well and hurry back

May 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  75. GreenCat5

Too bad so many people have to say nasty things about others to feel better about themselves. Pathetic. As for Ms. Walters, here's to a speedy recovery and return to "The View." (I tape it while at work and love it when even more you're on!)

May 10, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  76. boocat

That's right, Texas...I'm not a liberal but a misanthrope..the only difference is I'm not hypocritical enough to say I care about unborn babies but after they're born send them off to war or if they commit a crime, execute them....but you cons sure as hell are..

May 10, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Shanny

Ann,
    clearly this doesn't come as regular knowledge to you, which is amusing. But maybe you should do a little research before you talk. With many valve conditions, you DON'T have any symptoms until it is too late. Most people are monitored for years before surgery becomes necessary.

May 10, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Marina

Wishing you a speedy recovery. All the best!

May 10, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  79. MommaM

Best of luck Barbara – you are an inspiration to all!! Can't wait to see you back on the View.

May 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Jay

For the record, an echocardiogram is not an EKG (electrocardiogram). It is performed using sonar that is similar to MRI technology, but administered by a technician/physician. It is considerably more expensive than an EKG and not part of of a normal physical. Typically given to people with heart problem symptoms or in my case just prior to by-pass surgery and a year following.

May 10, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  81. pammy

What horrid comments some have made. Realize that whatever you put out in the world always comes back to you. Put out nasty energy and it'll come right back atcha. Have a nice day.

May 10, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  82. barbra k

Years back, my mother had a mitral valve replaced in her heart. At the time she was 76 years of age. The surgery was very successful, and happy to say she lived until 90 years of age. Like I said years ago. The
    procedures have changed greatly since Mom had surgery. Robotic measures are often used. Recovery is faster. Blink, and you are back to a normal life.
    As Gilda Radnor would have said;"Good Luck, Speedy Return...Baba Wawa.

May 10, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  83. orangeappled

I had NO idea she was 80!

May 10, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Wendy

i wish Barbra Walters the best, but that doesnt mean I have to like her politics. She was flat out nasty to John and Cindy McCain prior to the election. She has no respect for people that have a different "view" than she...I do not wish her I'll will, she paved the way for women in more areas than just journalisim.

Get well soon....but I still hate your politics.

May 10, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Gail

Re: Rich fro Silver Springs.

Dah .... maybe we see her for what she is ???

May 10, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Gail

Who cares ??? Never ever liked her. I know there are people who have major surgeries done and choose not share the info with "viewers".

May 10, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Rich from Silver Spring

Wow, why all the hateful comments? I'm not a fan, but really?

I am 48 years old and they discovered, thru an echocardiogram, that my aortic valve was bad. I had no symptoms at the time, it was a routine visit. The heart is nothing to play with. If she needs the surgery, she should have it, symtpoms or no symptoms. Good luck to her. This surgery was no fun.

May 10, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  88. cablelady

What is the matter with you people. All you haters are sick! Good Luck Barbara. Hope you have a speedy recovery

May 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Karen

To all who post angry, hurtful and negative remarks, may I quote someone profoundly wise. " Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. " ~Plato

May 10, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Dboyd

Speedy recovery, send my prayers your way

May 10, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  91. al

We live in a world of hatefull morons-Best to you Barbara, you are a champ for human rights who speaks out-Speedy recovery.

May 10, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Jolie

Why the hate comments on here? This is truly sic, and why doesn't CNN remove comments that are nothing but hate speech.

What is up with that? It appears there are a lot of deviants who have nothing to do but sit around all day posting vicious comments about decent human beings. They are as sick as any violent criminal.

And obviously — they are envious. Sick stuff.

Barbara, get well. It is so great that you are still working, vibrant, relevant and fun.

Peace.

May 10, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  93. NCole

Any chance Elisabeth can take the same amount of time off?? Maybe then the show would be watchable again!!!

May 10, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Kirby

No matter what your opinion is of Ms. Walters, she deserves your concern and positive wishes. I'm hoping for Barbara's surgery to go well and to see her at work again very soon. I had a valve replacement 8 years ago due to tissue damage following a major heart attack. It's good that her medical advisors took this proactive route, from my experience, that is much better than after the fact. My "little piggie" mitral valve is working just fine and I feel confident Barb will be much the same. See you soon on "The View".

May 10, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  95. deflair

Wow, think of all the people that need new heart valves that will never get one because of lack of health care.They may not even know they have a problem until it's to late and can't afford to see a Doctor.I work in the medical field and people have dropped dead in our office with a heart attack.They came in to late to see the Doctor.Try to get regular check-ups please.

May 10, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  96. dee

Heart surgeries are no longer as dreadful. Lot of valve surgeries are done with a robot such as the daVinci. The recovery time is much less. Hope her condition is treatable by the daVinci robotic procedure. I w'dn't want to see anyone suffer in pain. Wishing her all speedy recovery. She's human just like any of us.

May 10, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Clara Derrick

Ms. Walters you are an icon in this country and have broken so many barriors for women in journalism. You have brought so many political interviews that has changed my life and have shown the American people a side of thos people no one ever sees. Thank you my dear dear lady. I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery and you are in my prayers.

May 10, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  98. rick

Maybe someone should admit that they’ve had an affair with her, when she's sedated and wear it like a badge of honor..

May 10, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  99. rotunda

Praying for you and get well soon!!!

May 10, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  100. gabi

hey barbara
    i have watched you over the yrs ...
    you look great and you are a special woman...
    god bless you and hurry back..
    otherwise the nasty blond will take your spot..

May 10, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Shawakaknocka

Her funeral will be fabulous. Can you imagine: every celebrity in town will be there. I hope she dies soon, just so I can see that wonderful collection of stars.

May 10, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  102. loretta Goldstein

Barbara,I have been watching you on TV for many years and expect
    to be watching you for many more. Good luck..I know you will be
    fine.

May 10, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Texas

and liberals don't believe that abortions kill baby humans.......but club a seal, or kill a whale....katie bar the door !!!

May 10, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Shelby

Good luck Barbara. Hope everything turns out ok with the surgery. You are a positive influence in today's world of bad news.

May 10, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  105. slynne70

First, an electrocardiogram is a ROUTINE test done all the time on wealthy, middle and poor folks each and everyday. She did not receive special health care because of her wealth to be able to get this test completed. Second, the current administration, along with several others in the past is only trying to ensure EACH AND EVERY AMERICAN has access to and gets healthcare. No one is trying to limit the type of healthcare one receives or stop healthcare at a certain age. People need to get their heads out of the sand and READ and not just listen to every Rush, Bill and Glen that is given a TV show to spew their one-sided, selfish rheortic. Third, whether you like the person or not, wishing ill on someone is just WRONG. But I'm sure you're of the same ilk that thinks it's ok to wish death to the current President. Funny how conservative now means wishing death and ill will towards those that don't share your same opinion. I thought you all were the God-fearing kind?????????

May 10, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  106. v. Wade

Your Mom had a valve replaced at the age of 68 and wa down and running around (on her own) within 2 hours.
    I can believe Madame Walters had symptoms...she couldn't have. Possible longness of breath. An indication that there isn't something right. Your Mom was not in that great of health for your age, especially her longness of breath and young men walking down steps and declines. Anywho, all the worst for a slow decline in health and it's time to work harder and end your life and ignore your family and friends.

May 10, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Roe

My Mom had a valve replaced at the age of 86 and was up and walking around (with guidance) within 2 days.
    I cannot believe Ms. Walters had no symptoms...she had to. Possible shortness of breath. An indication there is something wrong. My Mom was is great health for her age, except for her shortness of breath walking up steps and inclines.
    Anyway, all the best for a speed recovery and it is time to retire and enjoy life, family and friends.

May 10, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Sammy DJ

How long do you think it'll be before she's up an able to be on her back, or all fours for that matter, and do it again?

May 10, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Jen

I am appalled at the viciousness I've seen here by a few ... was overlooking much of it but then saw CATom's remarks. What a pathetic soul! I truly pity people like that whose hearts and souls are so hideous and repulsive. The old saying "what goes around, comes around" has often proven true. To those who fall into this dismal category, remember that saying when your turn comes. In the meantime, I will pray for you poor souls. Barbara, if you should hear of those sick comments, please overlook them and consider the sources – they are weak and miserable people whose comments are not worth consideration. I'll remember you in my prayers. Best!

May 10, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Metoo

Barbara- hoping and praying for a speedy recovery! Why is it we can never focus totally on a positive for a simple moment Those that had to post something negative. U R just just full of hate! We the People of this great nation- SHOULD be scared of these type of radicals ... What does her position on the show "The Veiw" have anything to do with her health condition- So! PEOPLE i wish her well- even though I 'm not a Barbara Walter fan. And the idiots that post with zero sympathy. You are NOT any different than those that have these thoughts! My way! R No way! - atleast we know where terriorist thoughts come from! I 'm more afraid of u because the 1st Amendment protects your stupidity

May 10, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  111. 8879Rob

going under the knife at 80 is a bit risky! best of luck Barbara!

May 10, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  112. mrlgh

Wow! Barbara...you don't look anywhere near 80 in that photo! I think your youthful appearance shows you have taken good care of yourself over the years and will lend itself to your speedy recovery. You'll probably be back in one month rather than three....but you can fake it to get the rest of the summer off ;) Relax and get well soon!!! :)

May 10, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Billy B

I love Barbara Walters and look forward to her hosting SNL when she's old and gray

May 10, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Heidi Johnson

Good Luck Barbara and God Bless you!!! Have a speedy recovery... we will miss you on "The View" ~ "Best Talk Show on TV!!!!" ... and thats a fact!!!

May 10, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  115. MikeMaz

Some people in here must have really sad and pathetic lives with nothing real to live for if they feel the need to make jokes about her having surgery. It must suck to be jealous of a woman who has done more in her 70s then you ever will do in your pathetic existence.

May 10, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Don

Barbara, you are in my prayers! I can't believe you are 80!! You look fantastic!

May 10, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Susan

Barbara=====I wish you only the very best in you up coming surgery and you recovery====Watching you on The View no one would ever be able to tell that you were under the weather====You will be in the physical hands of the surgeons but the true hands of God and He will see you thorough==My very best to you and we shall keep you in our prayers. You are a trooper and wonderful role model.
    God Bless and wishes for a speedy recovery.

May 10, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Bill

Barbara Walters is a national treasure.

May 10, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Michael

Ya' know, I'm not really a big fan of hers either. But those who post a bunch of mean c**p about her and wish her ill are a pathetic lot who may be spending a bit too much time listening to other pathetic individuals like Limbaugh, Rev. Anderson and the like.

God speed, Ms. Walters! My mom had a heart valve replaced at your age a few years ago and is doing well. Be a good patient and take time to heal before jumping back into the fray.

May 10, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  120. XiaoBai

Best wishes and hope see you on the air soon! We all love you!

May 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Christine

She has had so many plastic surgery operations...what's a little heart surgery too!

May 10, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Tim

Rugged Ron, you're a '%^&&(()(' idiot.

May 10, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Erica

I thought parents taught their kids "if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all"!! We should all be adult enough to show respect for others.Treat others as you would like to be treated!!
    As for Barbara I do hope the surgery is a complete success! I can't wait to see you back on tv on my days off at least!

May 10, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  124. lauratj

I have been watching (taping ) The View since it started–sometimes I can not stand the cross chit chat either but I enjoy each woman & what they bring to the table. All the best to Miss Walters

May 10, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  125. MD

TeddyN is incorrect. This is what happens when lay people think they are physicians.

EKG/ECG = electrocardiogram
    ECHO = ultrasound of the heart

May 10, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  126. test@aol.com

testing 123

May 10, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Amy

Good luck to you – such a neat lady........

May 10, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  128. KenFreed@tx.rr.com

Wishing Barbara a complete and speedy recovery.

Hoping the doctors can fix the part that keeps you from being able to look a Republican or Conservative in the eyes (like you did when John McCain was on your show), and reduce the part that causes you to slobber and drool all over the democrats (like you did when Barrack Obama was your show).

Also, hoping they can correct your eyes, so you can see both sides of an issue, not just the liberals point of view.

Best Wishes
    Ken
    Euless Texas

May 10, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Patti

Neither a fan or hater, but I have to agree with some people on here. If you have nothing decent or of value to say other than hateful disgusting comments don't say anything.

Your idiotic comments say more about you than it does about the person you are commenting about.

Like her or hate her, she has made something of herself and has done very well in her career.

May 10, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Bo Jangles

I see a lot of nasty-commenting losers out there who haven't accomplished 1% of what Barbara has. Their biggest accomplishment it seems is posting stupid comments about a woman going into heart surgery. You all take the time to read an aritcle about a woman you don't care about then waste more time making loser comments. Wake up, clean up your act and do something good for yourself and other people.

May 10, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  131. donna

Dear Sweet Lily
    You're right I spelled democrat wrong. Not intentionally, believe me. Critical people like you are so busy picking something apart that you are unable to see past your nose. Get a life.

May 10, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Thomas

Been there, done that (except for the '80 years old' bit), got the zipper. It's not as scary as it sounds. Get well soon.

Thank G*d for the US health care system. I shudder to think what would have happened to me under socialist health care.

May 10, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Wayne

Wish you well. You are close to my age. I have had 5 heart attacks, 4 bypasses and a heart valve. I know it is hard to believe but it was a piece of cake. Yes some pain involved but not nearly what everyone thinks. You will be walking the next day and a pillow will be your friend for awhile but recovery time is very fast and you will be amazed how good you will feel after your recovery.

Wishing you the best, you are a great woman and have a long and even longer life ahead of you.

May 10, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Joe Jaxx

Barbara – Thank you for all of the wonderful years on television. You are an inspiration to young girls who are now in their 40's. You will be truly missed. Now, you and Hugh Downs can go beyond 20/20 in the hereafter and bring stories to the rest of the angels up in heaven. Television will never be the same without your glow.

Lena Horne and Barbara Walters all in the same day. Sheesh... what a black day indeed. I thought Mondays stunk for just being Monday. I wish I didn't even get out of bed today. I can tell you this – I WON'T be turning on my TV today.

May 10, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Old dude

Well let's just see if she gets Obamacare. Will you please retire and take Larry King with you. Both of your views are almost as old as you are! What a waste of TV time to air them two. For those of you who watch the view try reading a book instead and increasing your IQ for a change.

May 10, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  136. al

Good Luck Barbara and God Bless.
    To the fools out there: One day it can be you or a loved one. Think twice what you say and wish on others.

May 10, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Angel77

good luck barbara!! i would suggest they replace your heart with that hasselbore you have hosting your show but her heart rotted away long ago. maybe when you get back you will be in such good sprits you will finally fire that looser hasselbeck and have a realy good show.

May 10, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  138. CATom

Too bad we don't have obummer care yet so we can send this old bag to the death panels.

May 10, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Daniel

Best wishes to her on her surgery. May she continue to enjoy good health. I don't care if I ever see her on TV again. She used to be a serious news person, but has morphed into a pitiful, useless caricature of her former persona. Her TV "specials" are especially insipid while The View has devolved into something akin to mud wrestling.

May 10, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  140. JLM

I once heard her say that she hated exercise and never exercised. I wonder if her heart would be healthier today if she had. Plastic surgery alone will not do the trick.

May 10, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  141. laurie Velez

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. My prayers will be with you. I had open heart surgery for a triple bypass and I was driving after 3 weeks and back to work at two and a half months. Have faith in God, that will see you through that and anything.

May 10, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Babs

Good Grief – some of you people are just down right nasty....Evidently you never learned anything any church...oh wait, you probably have never gone to church.....

Best of luck Barbara!!!!

May 10, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Alex

I hope Mrs. Walters has a quick recovery and comes back to the show roaring as she says. I think she is a good part of the show and I hope everything goes great with her surgery.

May 10, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Susan

I wonder which valve (as if I need to know..ha). At any rate...hope all goes smoothly (I know it will).

May 10, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Reggie

My thoughts and prayers are with you!!

May 10, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Scott

You people posting hateful comments really should be ashamed of yourselves. What is WRONG with our society? There's absolutely no class or decorum whatsoever. What's left is an over-abundance of ignorant, uneducated, bitter twits who can't grasp the very simple concept of "If you have nothing nice to say about somebody, say nothing at all."
    Shame on you people. Your mothers would be so ashamed, and I am, too.

May 10, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  147. zephyrwinds

I am not a Barbara Walter fan, but, certainly wish her the very best and that comes through with flying colors.

May 10, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Doug. Munro

Best wishes for the op. I too had a valve replacement to replace a repaired valve which had lasted since 1958. The valve that I had installed 2 years ago is guaranteed for another 40 years. the only problem with the pig's valve in learning the new language: oink-oink.

Hope to see you back on the air soon.

Doug. Munro, Arnprior, Ontario, Canada.

Again; best wishes.

May 10, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Mark L.

My entire family and I were always very big fans of Barbara Walters. Barbara – This is solely to wish you the VERY, VERY BEST OF HEALTH and a Full & Speedy Recovery after your scheduled Heart Surgery !! May God Bless You ALWAYS !!

May 10, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Aixia Burstiner

Good luck and get well soon!

May 10, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  151. phyls rod

You go Rugged Rod

Don't like The View, don't watch it. Doesn't matter... but I think the show should log off now....tell the truth Folks.......it is a bunch of trivial whining.........

May 10, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  152. texas lady

I am wishing you a speedy recovery Ba Ba Wa Wa.
    We will miss you on the View, so get well and hurry back.

May 10, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  153. yocheved

No symptoms but a test tells you have a problem and you need major surgery that can have very serious side affects. Welcome to the world of money medicine that is totally alienated from the real body.

I would get second and even third opinions before rushing into this potentially harmful and expensive operation.

May 10, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Sabrina

I personally do not understand how people can make hateful comments about someone they do not know. I feel kinda sorry for them actually that they are so unhappy that they have to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down.
    Anyway good luck Barbara you are an inspiration to all women who aspire to be successful.

May 10, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Gussie

What a naive, ugly, dispirited citizenry we've become. If you're angry own up to it and do something constructive with it. If you're spending gtime writing best wishes to someone who you really don't know in any authentic way, why not send best wishes to someone in your community who is sick instead.

Walters is not the answer or the enemy for anything or anyone.

May 10, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Susan

What a bunch of ugly, mean spirited people; whether you like Barbara or not saying mean things about her and not wishing a speedy recovery just shows how small and petty you are. I have had open heart surgery, and it's not fun.

I hope she recovers quickly and lives for a long time to come.

May 10, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Lydia

She had an affair with a ******. I along with thousands lost respect for her when this came to light.

May 10, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Sara

What is the matter with some of you people, you are so mean. Best of luck Ms Walter's.

May 10, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Jamaal

What are the odds she won't make it through the surgery? Do you think they'll get rid of The View if she passes away? Better yet – I don't really have much of a problem with Babs "Pompous" Walters but I think Hasselbeck is a bit of a pain. How about they end Elisabeth and just give her heart to Babs? I know it'll be a cold and black heart but maybe Babs can pump some good life out of, and warm up that little ice pump of hers. Just a thought or two. Good luck Babs. If it doesn't work out, give Lena Horne a kiss for us!

May 10, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Shar

Prayers for a speedy recovery!

May 10, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Leann

Why do you people who have a negative comment about Barbara or the show, why do you bother? Do you have nothing better to do then complain about a show or people you don't like, or don't even watch? My late mother said if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!! I watch the show and Barbara, hang in there and have a speedy recovery.

May 10, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Rev Glenn R Jones

God Bless you Barbara. Remember the little people who helped you along the way and I ask a special blessing on the skills of the surgeon who will perform the operation. I have the same condition 4 years ago in Florida and going in it was tough. After surgery it takes time to recover. Don't rust to do things anymore, take your time and smell the roses of life along the way because you have been blessed with a second chance. God Bless you and your family and I pray for a full recovery in Gods timing.
    Respectfully your.
    Rev Glenn
    Florida

May 10, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Howard Papush

Dear Barbara...I'm rooting for you to come back from this surgery better than ever. Having had the privilege of working with you at WNBC-TV in New York during the early days of "Not For Women Only" I have always known first-hand of your fierce commitment to your profession and of your intelligence and inquisitiveness. I'll be thinking of your during your convalescence and wish you continued good health afterwards.

May 10, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  164. TeddyN

Drew, you must really be a big time idiot or have never even had a physical. Echocardiogram (EKG) is given on just about every physical ever performed, not just on people with money. lol, even a poor person like me had one and it saved my life. I had a heart attack and it was shown on the EKG. Hope you care more about your health than you sounded like. Im thinking you are another stupid conservative that typed before you thought

May 10, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  165. AC

I like about half of the women on The View – Barbara Walters certainly being one of them. I have always respected her and I hope she has a speedy recovery.
    Not sure why this has become political? Not everyone who dislikes people is a democrat last time I checked. I wouldn't be surprised if Barbara Walters were a democrat so why would democrats hate her? I personally do not care for the blonde woman who is married to a football player or her "views," but I certainly wouldn't wish a medical problem on her.
    Anyway, hope Barbara stays well and can come back quickly! We need her and Whoopi on there for sure.

May 10, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Martha

Go get'em Barbara.....With best wishes...see ya soon....Martha/Canada

May 10, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Sonia Prince in Nashua NH

To the immature bloggers, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it"...it's not a political announcement, it's a health issue. If you don't like it, be quiet.

May 10, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  168. mike

what pathetic people making such hateful comments for someone going for such serious surgery..you are pathetic human beings..really. I hope nothing serious ever hapens to you in your lifetimes.You can disagree with someone but, grow up and show some compassion. I feel sorry for you all.

May 10, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Claudia, Houston, Tx

God will place heavenly Angels around her to watch and guide Barbara's doctors while we all stand in prayer. We love Barbara and wish her a speedy recovery.

May 10, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Crissy

Best wishes and prayers to you, Barbara. I work so don't view The View so am not a fan, but I'd wish anyone well who is undergoing any surgery; the decent high road, people. Those who make such pathetic comments say more about themselves than about the ones they want to disparage... showing unbelievable ignorance. Anne and others, if you don't like someone, don't watch them – no one is forcing you. Grow up! Others like Barbara or she wouldn't be where she is, so you can't choose for others... just exercise some common sense and watch something else. Sheesh! Unbelievable morons in this world!

May 10, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Joyce

Agree with Shanny. There is ABOSOLUTLY NO REASON for any of you to be nasty about Barbara Walters having surgery unless it's because you are jealous of her success.

May 10, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  172. lily

Donna – what is a "democrate"? Intelligence is certainly lacking in many of these comments but I doubt a "democrate" had anything to do with it.

May 10, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Dave

Barbara, best wishes for a full recovery.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."–His Holiness the Dalai Lama

May 10, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  174. cg

Cnn u r a A

May 10, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  175. TINK

GOOD LUCK BARBARA GET WELL SOON

May 10, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  176. JD

Don't like The View, don't watch it. Doesn't matter... I wish her well just the same!

May 10, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  177. Maryann-Orlando FL

Interesting that 'donna' assumes that the folks who are making nasty comments about BW are democrats.

Unfortunately, 'donna's' lack of intelligence is showing. Especially in her SPELLING! LOL!

May 10, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  178. adewale folayan

Get well soon Barb ,we love you

May 10, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Ward Marshall

Good Luck, Barbara. I'm waiting for a surgery date to have my aortic valve replaced.

May 10, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Head Diva In Charge

Good luck Miz Walters!

May 10, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Ben Byrd

Good Luck BW. Get well soon

May 10, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Kitty Katz

I can't stand The View with all the constant idle chatter. It really gets on my last nerve. The only time I'm subjected to it is when I'm at the gym.

However, I wish Barbara a successful surgery and a quick recovery. She's a great lady.

Barbara, you deserve something much better than The View!!!!

May 10, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Kitty Katz

I can't stand The View with all the constant idol chatter. It really gets on my last nerve. The only time I'm subjected to it is when I'm at the gym.

Barbara, you deserve something much better than The View!!!!

May 10, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  184. testie

how very ugly to wish ill health to a fellow human being

Barbara, get well soon

May 10, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  185. cg

good luck and get well soon, love the show.
    loved you when you were doing 20/20. Had no idea you were 80.
    You go girl!

May 10, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  186. PD Gupta

The decision she has taken by herself and the medical advice she was given by her doctors are both wrong. Did anybody tell her how long she would live with or without the valve replacement surgery? At her age of eighty years, why she is not thinking about taking time-off for good from her TV programs? I guess all the TV viewers in and outside the US have already seen enough of her TV shows during the past several decades. In fact, all her current shows profoundly lack the luster her bygone years. Except for a few diehard fans, her absence from the TV will not be noticed by any at all. How many of us really feel the absence of Peter Jennings these days anymore? I would like to see her retire immediately, and take her successful and beautiful life easy and live a naturally as long as her God given health and body can sustain without any drastic medical intervention, like open heart surgery, at this age and time of her life. In doing so, she will set an example for many others to follow. May God bless Barbara Walters!

May 10, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  187. anne

Hopefully she will now retire. I cant stand her anymore, shes a phony & thinks shes everyones friend.. Barbara its time to go, Go do some charity work for your Dr. No one wants your tired old opinions anymore. I dont wish you harm, I wish you the best health in your remaining years, But its time to go...

May 10, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  188. donna

Are most of the people who monitor this site democrates? I have nothing against democrates but the majority who trash talk and wish ill on a person like they do here on this site give the good normal people who are domocrates a bad name. Those people are worthless and unfortunately reflect badly on the party. It scares me to think that you foul minded mouthy idiots vote. Your intelligence is lacking.

May 10, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  189. csf

Best wishes Barbara...

All you other hateful, foolish, people better hope you never have to go through a surgery such as this. UMMMM, I wonder if God will remember what you all said. But then again for those of you idiots who think ill wishing is okay...it's obvious you don't believe in God.

May 10, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  190. Mrs. Betty L. Harter

Dear Barbara
    I too have had open heart valve surgery. I had it last year ,age 82. Took awhile for recovery but feel so much better. I waited too long to have mine done. SO GET IT OVERWITH. WILL SAY A PRAYER FOR YOUR QUICK RECOVERY.

May 10, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  191. lanienyc

Pardon me, what kind of a moron would log on to say nasty things about Ms. Walter. Get a life or a therapist, it really is quite disgusting.

May 10, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  192. Rlg

I had an aortic valve replaced a couple of years ago and I do feel Barbara will be in great shape after the surgery. She's a fighter and will mind her p's and q's and follow doctor's orders. Good Luck Barbara!!!

May 10, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  193. lanienyc

Best of luck, Barbara, well wishes and prayers for your quick recovery. I hope when I'm 80 I look as beautiful...

May 10, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  194. Fred May SR

Having gone through heart surgery myself, it's no fun knowing someone is going to be working on your heart. Good luck Barbara and may God protect you.

May 10, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  195. Jeanne

Wishing you the best...for all of you idiots...Ms Walters probably has Medicare and a supplement..most people with this can get any procedures they need.

May 10, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  196. Rick Maurer

I hope the procedure goes well! Best of luck, you are a great lady

May 10, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  197. PG

Ann,
    This doesn't surprise me if the doctors have been monitoring this for awhile. The same happened to me with a different medical condition. One gets to a point where timing can be just right instead of waiting for a dramatic episode to happen that creates an extreme emergency. Chalk it up to being proactive in health management.

And to others, lighten up on the ill wishing comments. You may find yourself in a similar situation someday. Chill, people.

May 10, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  198. Lisa

Be Well Barbara! ...such haters out there...no wonder terrorists 'blend' in so easily here....If you can't say something nice, why bother to say anything...Negativity only breeds negativity

May 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  199. Dawn

Get well soon Barbara! You're the best.

May 10, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  200. Nancy Swaim

If you don't like the show – don't watch! Best of luck to Barbara, I think she is an amazing woman. These tests should be done as a matter of course on someone her age and are not done only on the wealthy. Would some of you rather she waited until she had a heart attack?

May 10, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  201. SueRH

I love The View, best of luck, Barbara!!! Looking forward to seeing you back and healthy!

May 10, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  202. Cranberry

Shanny – agreed. Shame on you all.

May 10, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  203. careinny

Good luck Barbara. It will not be fun, but you will feel so much better after surgery.

May 10, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  204. BMAC

Best wishes to you Barbra and a speedy recovery.
    Best to do this before the government controls who gets surgery and what age doesn't.

May 10, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  205. name:(required)

Probably from all the 'roids she used back in the 70s.

May 10, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  206. Drew

An echocardiogram? That sounds expensive. Wish more people could afford that before needlessly dying.

May 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  207. Ann

I am surprised that something as serious as heart surgery would be performed on someone who has no symptoms. I hope she got a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion.

May 10, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  208. chris

shame the rest of the cast can't go away with her

May 10, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  209. Shanny

I'm not a fan of Walters, but is it really necessary to post hateful comments about a woman undergoing major surgery? Pathetic.

May 10, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  210. robin in honolulu

love you barbara..best wishes..ready for you to come roaring back. you have a brilliant career to carry on!

May 10, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  211. mybikedied

But they found out she didn't have one...

May 10, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  212. Susan

Barbara,
    Wishing you well and hurry back. Luv you!
    Susan

May 10, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  213. joe

if there was ever a reason for rationed health care.. this is it..

May 10, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  214. Rugged Ron

She predicted she would be gone from the show for one to three months, "and then I can come roaring back."

Uhhh....Don't bother.