May 7th, 2010

Ellen Pompeo may exit 'Grey's' when contract ends

Could another integral “Grey’s” star be on her way out? In two years, it’s possible, Ellen Pompeo said.

The actress has been playing Meredith Grey since 2005, and Pompeo isn’t sure how many more plot twists Dr. Grey can get into.

“When my contract is up after season eight, I would probably not renew,” she told Extra in an interview; the show is currently in its 6th season. “I think I’ve told all the stories that I can tell as Meredith Grey.”

But that doesn't mean the show will definitely have to soldier on without its main voiceover; Pompeo said anything could happen. “Who knows, never say never to anything, but I’ve told a lot of Meredith Grey stories, and I don’t know how much more Meredith Grey the world wants.”

The show will end this season without Dr. Izzie Stevens, since Katherine Heigl already took her leave from the medical drama earlier this year, but that's about all we know - Pompeo didn't reveal anything new. “You know ‘Grey’s’ finales,” she said. “Anything that can happen will happen and everything that could happen will happen…I’ll just say that.”

Filed under: Celebrities • Grey's Anatomy • television

1. Erica

If this happens I pray that they end the series. How in the world can they have Grey's Anatomy without Meridith Grey? Unless they think they can continue with "Little Grey" I really hope not.

September 22, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. shirley

Just like ER it's time to end.

September 21, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Head Diva In Charge

Why is everyone jumping ship? I actually am not a fan of the show....but when all the main characters leave, it's not a good sign.

May 10, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ken

I'll tell you what's wrong with TV these days.Stars of series only worry about themselves,not the viewer.What happened to the days when ,if a series ran 5 seasons the star and the network were happy and everything was fine? There's a star out there now, who just started a new show this season,got pregnant, and may not return to that show since she has given birth.

May 9, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dani in AZ

I love grey's. I will watch it till the end of Grey. I'm bummed that they got rid of some of my favorite characters-but really freshen's up the show when there are new ones in there. Two more season will fly by soon enough and I will enjoy every single episode.

May 9, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Shan

It's strange - the day time soaps run forever, but the night time ones definitely seem to have a shelf life.

May 9, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cait

I'm a big fan of Grey's, and I'm not sure what they'd do to "Grey's," if the Original Grey is off the show. Lest we forget, there's another Grey, Lexie, who the show seems to be increasing the focus on with time. I can see them ending "Grey's Anatomy" and making a spin-off, perhaps? I'm not sure they'll be able to carry the plot lines of most the major characters without creating some *serious* drama at the end of this season.

I would hate to see the show end, but it's been in production for about 6 years now and seems to be heading in that direction within the next couple of years (natural progression of a hit television show). That being said, I think Ellen Pompeo wants to spend more time with her new baby: see: The Ellen Show interview.

May 9, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. R

What she gonna do ... start a pop career???
    Hope she does better than that rubbish music they always have in the background!

May 9, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. paul

WHO CARES?!!! Seriously, folks, by that time the show will have been on for about 6-7 years and NOTHING they can do on this soapy hospital drama could make it fresh anymore ... well, maybe killing off the cast and starting with some new ones.

I think Rhonda should take a clue from Ellen and just end the show when most of the major cast is up for renewal. Let it go out properly. Shows in the states go on and on until its just a waste of time and no one is watching it. Look at the COSBY SHOW, ROSANNE, DALLAS, DYNASTY, and so many others that went on way too long until the end when people were saying "I thought that show was canceled already"

Plus Grey's Anatomy is dumb.

May 9, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  10. mike

Ellen Pompeo's acting career goes all the way back to 1999. She's been on "Strangers with Candy," "Friends," and several TV movies. I don't think she's a film quality actress but I definitely feel she's a great tv actress. Her character has seemed sad and listless this year because they haven't given her much to do. I'm sure next season there will be a lot more Meredith and a lot less Owen/Teddy/Arizona (we can hope).

May 8, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. STP

To Layla:

It's "double entendre" not double en taunt (It's French). Just an FYI.

To everyone else:

I too feel that Ellen Pompeo doesn't offer much in the way of acting ability. Maybe it's just the way the character is written. To me, she is a downer – listless and sad. I would be curious to see Ms. Pompeo in another type of character to see if she does have any skills.

If she is a good actress, it would be in her best interest to get out of Grey's as fast as she can because the role isn't doing her justice.

May 8, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Anne phillips

After an accident last week I spent some time in the ER of my local hospital. I had a head injury which could have been fatal. I was happy with my care and the kindness of the personnel. The doctors and I were joking and the subject of TV medical programs came up. 0ne doctor said he was amazed at how people's expectaions of care was. The second joked that he hadn't even found a supply room, much less a willing nurse to join him.
    They both agreed that this type of show gives such an negative impression of life in a busy hospital and the expectations of parients, whether emergency or admited, they are somewhat annoyed and often disgusted. Aactually, while I occasionally turn in to Grey's,
    I never watch House, and the new Miami medical doesn't have much to offer either! Hats off to rreal caring doctors!

May 8, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. anonygirl

ack! its double entendre (one word)!

May 8, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. anonygirl

@Layla – double en tendre – its french.

I'm glad that there might be an end to the show, which I have loved since it began. There's nothing worse than a show that has outlived its prime. Grey's has jumped the shark. They should use the remaining time to wrap things up.

@Trixie – there is no place for that kind of talk in this world. Your hate is disgusting.

May 8, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Audry

I love Grey's and I think the show still has a lot of life left in it. I loved "ER" and still watch the reruns of that and that was on for longer. This show still has a lot of room to grow BUT with out GREY really the show will not be the same. Let her get married for real and put kids into this mix there that gives you more story lines that gray can retell about her childhood. DO not get rid of the show

May 8, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jessica

@Trixie: Well, you disgust me.
    "wise up and realize she isn't a lesbian" ??? Seriously, if you don't like it, stop watching.

I hope you do vomit. I hope you vomit all over yourself, because then your outside would reflect you on the inside.

May 8, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Layla

Sarah,

Grey's Anatomy is a double en taunt. (That means it has 2 meanings). Gray's Anatomy is also a medical book used for teaching anatomy, etc. It's just spelled differently.

Cute huh?

May 8, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Lynn

Gay people have feeling to.

May 8, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Just Saying

Grey's lost a lot of viewers when the Lesbian plot started.

May 8, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Georgebayside

So big deal. In the olden daysof big movie studios, when stars started to get too uppity, they always had someone in the wings to replace them. After awhile these shows start to get boring, like Twin Peaks and Ally McBeal did. Its shows like the CSI and law andOorder series that have good plots and sustain your interest.

May 8, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  21. Alexis Sterling

What if the WRITERS came up with new scenarios? Not necessarily an actor issue as much as a writer issue. We need some new IDEAS, new challenges to care about.

May 8, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  22. trixie

I'm waiting for Callie to wise up and realize she isn't a lesbian. Enough of that story line already. I am so glad that her and the blond doc broke up. If I had to see them shoving their tounges down each others throats and rubbing naked against each other in the shower one nmore time, I think I would vomit. Make me sick to see that one free tv. They use to save that disgusting crap for cable.

May 8, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  23. Grey's Fam

I love the show and I hope it stays on for more years to come.

May 8, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  24. Downer

So, after Grey's...what's next for her? Movies? Bahahaha ba hahahahaha
    BAAAAAAAHAAAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

You better take the next renewal, tootsie!!! And hope the whole show don't get axed in the next 5 years!!!

May 8, 2010 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  25. E

Grey's is still as clever and fun and deep as ever. Love the writing and all the characters old and new. Private practice is right up there with it and If Ellen leaves it might be a slight inbalance but the show must go on and on and on ,.

May 7, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  26. kam

I am a huge fun of the show. My husband and I watch it every week, and I must say the writing this season is not as good. The story lines are just not entertaining enough. I am very disappointed. They must have different writers because it was much better in the past. Very unhappy, will be watching more Private Practice in the future.

May 7, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Jessi

Darn! I wish she were leaving now. I can barely ever understand her with that awful lisp, and she looks too old to be playing a 30-year-old now. Plus, Meredith is uber whiny, and always woe is me. After 6 seasons I'm over it. Oh well. I barely watch the show anymore anyway, I miss George and Iz.

May 7, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  28. M

I like the idea of shows ending; I enjoyed how the producers at HBO conclued "Six Feet Under". They fast forwarded into all of the character's lives and showed the audience how they got older and died. I was at peace; and what's even better, the show can't return.

May 7, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Friday

I love Greys!! And am not wanting Meredith or the show to go away any time soon. I'm glad to hear that she still has two more years left! Bring it on!!

May 7, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Fred

Greys is a show to go down in history and ELlen is one amazing actress. wish she would sty on for more cause if she goes the show goes.

Ellen Pompeo is amazing.

May 7, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Your mom

After 8 seasons, it will probably be time for the show to end anyway. The stories are already getting a bit tired....and I'm a huge fan of the show.

May 7, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sarah

So, will they change the name of the show once the "Grey" of Grey's Anatomy is gone?

May 7, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  33. James

oh great, another "I've gone as far as I can with this character"- well then, I guess you're not as good an actress as we thought, are ya? I'm all about loyalty. If I follow your show for 5 years, and you become successful because of that, I feel that leaving the show is a slap in the face of those that put you where you are, status-wise. Don't be a KH or TR Knight, – just ride it out until the end.

May 7, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Mary in KC

I love Grey's and sometimes I've hated Grey's but I ALWAYS watch Grey's and every night I watch re-runs of Grey's .

The only ones who want it to go away are the ones who don't watch it anyway. It's a wonderfully funny, ironic, tragic, sad, happy, crazy, eccentric, drama, comedy ...it has it ALL.

I love the show and hope it continues AT LEAST for 2 more years.

May 7, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  35. stacy

Good– I'm tired of this show; it got real old real quick–everyone has slept with just about everyone else. end it already please!!

May 7, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  36. shirley

It's about time for the show to end just about all the good cast is gone.
    I don't watch anymore another (ER)it;s time to end.

May 7, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Joe in NJ

I would hope two years from now that the show is already off the air.

May 7, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |