May 6th, 2010

Star Tours gets ready to make final flights to Endor

Disney Parks’ Star Tours attraction will soon go out of commission to make way for a 2011 upgrade, but it’s not shutting down without a send-off.

From 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. on August 14, Disney Parks is hosting the "Last Tour to Endor," a special event that coincides with the official Lucasfilm fan convention, “Star Wars” Celebration V.

Star Tours is a Disney and "Star Wars" fan favorite that opened in 1987 in "Tomorrowland" at Disneyland, marking the first of the park's attractions that did not use Disney imagery. Whether you are sucked in by the giant AT-AT at the Disney World location or the hidden Kermit the Frog droid inside the ride, it's a chance for all "Star Wars" fans to feel like they're a part of the movie.

But the ride has been showing its age as of late, and fans are looking forward to the new version coming to us in 2011.

For tickets and more information, head over to www.starwarscelebration.com/Disney.

Filed under: movies • Star Wars

1. eli

This is my FAVRIT ride why close it?

August 9, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Seattle Dave

I hope they keep the voice of Paul Ruben as the robot pilot. It was great fun to be the only one onboard who realized Pee Wee Herman was flying us into battle.....

PS I still have the opening day T-Shirt somewhere in the attic.

August 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rob J

Star Tours.... Body Wars...... the old Back To The Future ride at Universal..... any of these motion simulator rides,where you stare at a screen, while the vehicle moves around a little, they all suck.

Give me a REAL ride/

May 7, 2010 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joshua

star tours is one of my favorite rides although i haven't been in almost 10 years, my wife has never been to disneyland but she has been to disneyworld where i have never been. ironic huh? oh and the ride opened in 1987, i remember cause thats the same year my sis was born and we went down that year to ride it. my little brother was 3 and i was 5 or 6 and i remember throwing up all over the floor caus that darned robot couldn't fly worth a lick!

May 6, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. James

I'm sure someone will find a way to blame Obama and illegal Immigrants for this. Okay start, now.

May 6, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lawri

Oh - and you didn't travel through the human body. As you "shrank," you rode past snowflakes, eventually entering a water molecule inside one of them.

May 6, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lawri

The PeopleMover was not in the Star Tours location. It was "Adventure Through Inner Space," which was THE BEST RIDE AT DISNEYLAND EVER!!!! I still can't believe they replaced it with Star Tours.

I have the computer animated version of the ride, but I still hope that someone, somewhere will actually recreate that thing!! It was awesome.

May 6, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dave

Folks, it isn't going away, it is being updated and upgraded.

Of course if it ends up being upgraded to a Clone Wars version, or even worse Phantom Menace with Jar-Jar and little Anakin, then it may as well just go away.

May 6, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Russell

There is an homage to ATIS in the Star Tours film: the "Mighty Microscope" can be seen as your shuttle is leaving the launch bay. After your shuttle makes a wrong turn and drops down, look for it amid the junk in the bottom right corner of the view screen.

May 6, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. marianne

I went to Disneyland when I was 4 months pregnanat with my now 20-year old daughter. I wanted to feel like a kid "one last time." I went on Star Torus, ignoring the pregnant-lady warning (I was larger so no one noticed) The seat belt riding on my stomach and the way it pitched you about–well I came out of there scared that I had killed my baby. I felt very selfish (PS she lived–but is weird. Maybe that's why?)

May 6, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. catmandoozie

If you will read..the article says 1987....not 1978...wow....

May 6, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Go Sharks!

Rode it Twice- I agree. Fun ride, but I can't do it. Same thing goes for Indiana Jones and Space Mountain. Makes me feel so sick for the rest of the day. =\

May 6, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rode it Twice

I remember in 1989 waiting in forever lines to ride. I couldn't believe I would be able to experience Star Wars "live". It was awesome....but my stomach hated it.

I wondered over the years how many riders actually left their stomachs on Star Tours. I know I ALMOST did! And, yes, I tried it again many years later. Same result!

May 6, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Shelly

What does it smell like?

May 6, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Shelly

Why is everybody talking about things compeletely irrevelant to the topic?

May 6, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. todd@toddnordling.com,imadinosaur14@gmail.com

Say it ain't so!

May 6, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  17. mr.c

You all deserve to die

May 6, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. James

This is my all-time favorite attraction at Disneyland. It seemed to be the one ride aimed at "everyone" in a park aimed at children. I can only handle so many trips on the teacups, yet my 7 yr old can't get enough. How kids manage to avoid getting sick on that ride, is beyond me. That said, Star Tours was the one thing I could look forward to that felt like it was for me, instead of my child. R.I.P Star Tours. You'll be missed!

May 6, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Greg Porter

That's sucks! Why can't they just keep it? D":

May 6, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. John

I still have my "STAR WARS: The First Ten Years" mug I bought at the gift store right next to the ride, and I still think it's the best ride at Disneyland.

May 6, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Sora

I went to on Star Tours in 1987 with a college friend. It was a great ride at the time, even though the flight simulation actually made me a little nauseous. Felt better after I had some Mickey Mouse shaped pancakes. Good times.

May 6, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  22. JPFR

I remember going to Disneyland to ride Star Tours before going to the 10th anniversary weekend celebration of Star Wars in 1987

May 6, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  23. Rob - Australia

I have enjoyed this a few times......
    Bring it on!

May 6, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  24. sockgal

I believe that Star Tours took the place of another ride called "Adventure Through Inner Space." It was a great making out ride. Nice and dark with high backed carts. Lots of fun shrinking and traveling into the human body. That had to be in the late 1980's when Star Tours opened!

May 6, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  25. blahblah

I was at the opening of Star Tours in California in 1987. We had a 30-hour park pass, which cost a college student around $15. We managed to stay at the park for about 25 hours. It was awesome ridding Star Tours at 4am, when the lines were only 15 minutes long.

May 6, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  26. Kris L

Yeah, 1987. The People Mover (complete with Tron and other odd scientific visuals) was there prior to it.

May 6, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  27. Aaron

Yes it was 1987. No one even knew what Endor was until Return of the Jedi in 1983 :P

May 6, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  28. Ron Trimper

I believe Star Tours opened At Disneyland in 1987 not 1978.

May 6, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  29. Coop

R.I.P. original Star Tours. I will dearly miss the pre-ride safety video with the gloriously mulletted and spandexed passengers...

May 6, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |