May 6th, 2010

Joan Rivers is unhappy with airport security

Comedienne Joan Rivers is not very happy flying these days.

In an interview with the Washington Times’ Kerry Pickett, Rivers complains that she was recently stopped from boarding a flight from Costa Rica to New York while the man alleged to have attempted to detonate a car bomb in Times Square made it onto a flight before authorities arrested him.

“I find it ludicrous and pathetic that somebody can come in at the last minute, buy a ticket with cash, and slip through all of this, and they worry about me - that God forbid I might have a bagel taped to my waist,” Rivers said. “I find this outrageous.”

Rivers said she has been consistently stopped by airport security, in part she believes, because her passport reads Joan Rosenberg AKA Joan Rivers. Joan Rosenberg is her married name.

The former “Celebrity Apprentice” star said she has been traveling a great deal lately for her TV Land reality show "How'd You Get So Rich?" and it’s been a hassle.

“Seriously, I have been on a plane where they have took away my tweezers ... my tweezers ... like I'm gonna pluck you to death,” Rivers told the publication.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Par30

Emirates airlines did not check the no-fly list. TSA put him on the list when he was a person of interest...it is the responsibility of the airline to ensure the airline employees are checking the list.

May 9, 2010 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. lauratj

Joan Rivers is funny & has proven herself to be a great business woman. She could'nt get through to airprt security but a man who tried to blow up Times Square did HELLO ? what is wrong with this picture?? I was raised in NY.

May 7, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JustMe

Joan Rivers in my opinion, has never been funny, is a never was, not even a has been and her daughter is a never will be. Ah freedom of speech, a wonderful thing!

May 7, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Thomas

Joan Rivers problem (As it's not her first time complaining about this) is she usually buys tickets in the name of Joan Rivers, not in her actual name – Joan Rosenberg. So, here's a tip – pick a name & stick with it.

May 7, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tosh

whay are you talking smack about Joan? She has lived an iincredible life and has overcome prejudice in a male dominated society.
    May you be so lucky to have the cajones to accomplish what this woman has and is still doing! so what if she has had plastic surgery it's her body! As for Homeland Security, they are afraid of profiling...so they stop grannies and yes my 8 year old son to check them out.
    As dark skinned, muslim looking people skirt through! Heaven forbid the offend someone because they look like a terrorist. It's better to let these ass holes blow up Times sqaure. And remember Joan is a American, a comedian and she tells it like it is. How honest are you!

May 7, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jane

It's that same ol thing that dates back to elementary school. A few bad apples ruin it for the whole bunch...

May 7, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. johanna

Im SHOCKED!
    Joan Rivers is UNHAPPY...
    Thats the foundation of her career – constant complaining....

May 7, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. upstate-ny

I happen to agree with Joan Rivers. Flying has become such a hassle
    I just won't do it anymore. Between security and the airlines themselves, the extra charges, delays and cancellations I just won't let myself be treated that way. The airline security's way of thinking as given by Joan Rivers just doesn't make any sense. This terrorist pays cash, no luggage and he gets to board the plane. Me I couldn't rub two sticks together and make a fire. Fortunately for me I don't have a job that requires this and I honestly wouldn't know what to did if I did. I used to fly 2-3 times a year and EVERY SINGLE TIME I flew there was some type of problem and I just won't do it anymore. I think alot people feel that way and that's why they are nickel and diming the people that depend on flying. I DON'T CARE IF JOAN RIVERS OR ANYONE CAN AFFORD TO FLY THEIR OWN PLANE, THE POINT IS THAT NO ONE DESERVES TO BE TREATED BY SECURITY AND THE AIRLINES AS IF THEY WERE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS...WHICH IS WHAT THEY DO. I can't stand it when you're allowed so much time for vacation. You book a flight to leave on Saturday and return on Friday. The airline cancels your flight and then tell you they can't book you on another flight until Tuesday. They don't care they've used up half your vacation time, lost connection to a cruise, etc. They don't care about me and I certainly don't care about them.

May 7, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. Corkster52

Being plucked to death sounds like a horrible way to go.....

May 7, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. Lucianne

Joan Rivers, you are so correct, I understand they are doing their job, but I also had a tweezers taken from me in Barbados, a few years ago, but i think the security officer just liked it, because it was a very good one, but having said that, I wondered the same thing what could a little tweezers do, maybe she had her own agenda, I also understand that others make it bad for the rest of us.

May 7, 2010 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mary Maude Henry

And to think that this vulgar hag used to ridicule Micharl Jackson because of his face, the woman oviously thinks she should get VIP treatment even if her name is not correct on the ticket, that't what this whole boring story is about, I have heard the Costa Rica bit months ago!

May 7, 2010 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  12. ANTIETAM

Truth is that air port security morons enjoy humiliating passengers. This is why they take the job. Yet Americans are quite willing to submit because we have become a nation of nerds. A boycott will stop the abuse, but that will never happen. Meanwhile, I enjoy traveling by car, even by bus.

May 7, 2010 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. peter

look at that face.....no wonder the give her troubles...she looks like a mummy who escaped from an agyptien piramyd.......

May 7, 2010 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  14. john

Wow, people get with it. A guy who tried to blow up things and kill people is allowed to get on a plane and not stopped, and a well know person with id is stopped. Dont blame her, she did not try to harm anyone. The system is at fault. The FBI, TSA, Airlines and FAA need to stop the harmful people. Maybe a copmuter program that will hault the flight plan of a plane if a name matches the list automaticly. take the human part out of it.

May 7, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. Staci

She needs to shut her mouth on that over stretched face and suck it up. We are all dealing with the same, so why should she be treated any differently?

May 7, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  16. DavidF

Most of you people wouldn't know comedy if it came up, introduced itself and then kicked you in the @ss.

May 7, 2010 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  17. jay

she still alive ,wow look at her face she gets the joker role in batman.

May 7, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  18. Frenchie

With her alien look, no wonder why she gets security's attention.. Joan, go to hell...

May 7, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  19. Rick

She has enough money to rent a private jet, then she doesn't have to worry about the airport security.

May 7, 2010 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  20. BUNNY

Now this woman really needs to get a life......

May 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. BW

Those of you who want to blame TSA for that guy getting on a plane don't have a clue. TSA does not handle the no fly list. The FBI and other intelligence agencies create the list and give it to the airlines. The airlines are supposed to put those names in their computers and not allow those people to buy tickets. Thats how it works people. Those people at the check points are just looking for guns and bombs. As for Jaon Rivers I'd take anything sharp away from her before she started working on her face again.

May 6, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Freightmover

Dont stars ride on private planes....Rivers hasnt been funny since the 80's, now reminds me of that old woman "Where's the Beef"

May 6, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Freightmover

I thought real celebrity's used private planes......oh right Joan Rivers....she was funny back in the 80's.

May 6, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  24. S683

It's a sign of the times. Guess the people that do airport security didn't like the way she acted on Celebrity Apprentice. I didn't either. Suck it up Joan.

May 6, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Vikki

---------------
    I agree, but if you don't search random people then the airline is guilty of racial profiling. Sigh...

May 6, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  26. jason

For all that are making pathetic remarks about Joan her point is clear- TSA and security checks are most always ineffective in stopping the true culprit. For those not familiar with private aircraft you are still screened. Grow up and get a life!

May 6, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Melissa R.

My mother played the very first Joker on the original Batman t.v. series so leave her alone.

May 6, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. duck

joan rivers please shut up and go sit quietly in retirement some where you are sickening

May 6, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Beck

Who freakin cares what she's upset about???? I use to like her but not after The Apprentice and look at what kind of human being she raised. Not cool.

May 6, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  30. BIIman

Joan, Joan....we all know you'd be smuggling cosmetics.

May 6, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  31. traveler1978

TSA did not allow him to board, the airline did, get it right. TSA issued the update to the no fly list, but the EXISTING rules allow airlines to check within 24 hours of a update. This has been in all the news articles, If you want to blame TSA blame them for the rule that says the airline only has to check every 24 hours. THAT is their fault!!!!!

TSA is not perfect, Airline security is not perfect, but in this case, it's the airline that didn't check for updates as they COULD have. That is the reason the no fly requirements are being updated, to ensure that the airlines do check in a timely fashion.

As for Joan Rivers, could be any number of things such as her ID and the name on the ticket don't match up as she has stated she goes by both names and the rules are that they have to match. Any frequent flyer should know this. She doesn't give enough info in her gripes to allow any reader to make a decision.

May 6, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Bob

@ Alek ... that comment actually made me laugh out loud! Thank you for that! This day has been suckin', and your comment was the relief it needed. And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

May 6, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Maurice

It is amazing how CNN tries to fill out their page with "recent" news. Is it that Joan Rivers got stuck in Costa Rica AGAIN??? or they are writing AGAIN a note for an incident that happened on January the 3rd????? Please be serious!!!!!!!

May 6, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jim Warren

So many ignorant comments here. I believe she is simply saying what WE ALL go through when we travel. She is one of the most recognizable people in our country (notice...no plastic surgery joke...yep, amazing, huh?) and gets pulled out of line and hassled, yet a LAST MINUTE, PAYING IN CASH, NO LUGGAGE person made it through?

That is the real joke, so get off Joan Rivers.

May 6, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  35. patNY

I don't think the message she was trying to put through was that she should get special treatment because of who she is. Rather, she is simply commenting on the craziness in virtually strip searching little old ladies in wheel chairs and confiscating their bobby pins, while middle eastern terrorist looking thugs get to stroll right past security with nothing more than having to take off their smelly shoes.

May 6, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  36. chirp chirp

That's funny Joan, Annie Duke flys all the time too, and has never had a problem. but afterall, she's just a Pokah Playah ugh!

May 6, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Susan

It is true that airport security can be a hassle, but it is unfotunately necessary these days and we all have to learn to deal with it. Apparently Ms Rosenberg AKA Rivers (and it is you who choses to use two different names, so don't blame the airlines) thinks she should be treated differently than the rest of us when she flies commercial airlines? You fly a regular airline, you get treated like everyone else... you want special celebrity treatment, you charter a plane. If she had bothered to read the TSA info, she would have known you can't take tweezers on a plane. Somehow I can manage to get through a flight without tweezers, but I guess some people can't? She has sucked, tucked and plucked herself to death, so I would be afraid of her, very afraid LOL! I certainly wouldn't want to look stupid whining in public about something I would have known if I had bothered to check the TSA's list of prohibited items!

May 6, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Bigbill327

She has had so much plastic work done on her face they thought it was a bomb..

May 6, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Alek

Joan Rivers is still alive?

May 6, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Joanna

He bought a one-way ticket for CASH.... I work for an airline and that is an IMMEDIATE RED FLAG. Emirates Airlines, what were you doing that night besides counting the money??

May 6, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Chris

Maybe they're under the impression that anyone who is crazy enough to think all of her plastic surgery makes her look anything other than freakish is capable of anything. Anyway, her entire schtick is about being p'd off and complaining about something, how is this any different?

May 6, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Lulu

Reply to Bobbi

What oart of the story do you not understand, her passport has her legal name which it must have by law and an AKA

THere's not much more she can do

May 6, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  43. sarah

haha I know shes rich and not hot, but I think she is trying to relate to us. Like in the sense of how long it takes to get checked through I am stopped everytime and pulled to the side for them to see if I have a bomb in my bra.... We all are suspects, but how did that guy get through almost?

May 6, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Bobbi

Wouldn't the average person learn from this and start booking their tickets using the name on their passport? Simple solution.

May 6, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  45. kevin

Her face is made of plastic. Security probley thinks its a disguise. They should try to peel back her face to reveal the real suspect.

May 6, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Heather

Alllll she is saying is that the time square bomber had no problem getting through even though he was on a no fly list and she got stopped instead of him. Its an excellent point that should ashame TSA from the bottom to the very top. GET WITH IT TSA!!

May 6, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  47. TINK

she should be glad he was not on her plane , grow up lady

May 6, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  48. LEE

She can afford to charter her own plane and avoid all this. She could have all the bagels she wants.

May 6, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Jay

Who cares what Joan Rivers is unhappy about? Give it a break media!!!!!!

May 6, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Bryan

Yea, not real funny. Airline security still sucks, but it affects everyone, not just Rivers. If she doesn't like it tell her to take boat, train, or segway and eat her bagel in peace.

May 6, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |