May 6th, 2010

‘Iron Man 2’ already selling out theaters

Thinking about catching a midnight showing of “Iron Man 2” tonight? Buy a ticket now, if you can find one.

Several of the midnight shows are already sold out across the country, according to online movie ticket seller Fandango.com. Theaters that are filled to the brim include New York City’s AMC Loews Lincoln Square Cinemas, Chicago’s AMC Loews 600 North Michigan, San Francisco’s Metreon and Los Angeles’s Universal CityWalk Cinemas. Tickets to the movie currently represent 92 percent of the company's daily sales.

Predictions for “Iron Man 2’s” opening weekend gross are running high, with estimates coming in north of $158.4 million - more than current box office record holder "The Dark Knight," according to The Hollywood Reporter. The movie has already opened strong overseas, bringing in $100.2 million at the international box office.

Released in 53 foreign markets, the superhero sequel starring Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Gwyneth Paltrow and Don Cheadle had its biggest showing in the U.K., where it earned $12.2 million, according to Reuters, as well as $10.8 million in South Korea.

Check out early reaction from fans on iReport.

Filed under: movies

1. Sara Foster

watching online movies has been my past time this month, i really enjoy it "~`

December 20, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Audio Power Amplifiers :

online movies are cool, they might not have very high quality but at least you can watch lots of em *~*

October 24, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anxiety Depression

online movies are guite good but it takes a lot of bandwidth just to watch them:,"

October 13, 2010 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  4. Alyssa Thompson

i always watch online movies from Vimeo or Youtube, it is low resolution but most of the time sufficient.,~-

July 27, 2010 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ellis Gibson

online movies are cool but i wish the quality were better..:`

June 22, 2010 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. Larry B

Iron Man 2 already Selling Out"... Yes, this franchise has already "SOLD OUT". It looks like they spent more time marketing products to tie into the movie than they did trying to come up with a really good story. The first movie was great. Iron Man fighting several other remote controlled iron men?? Didn't he already whoop a much much larger version of his iron man creation in Iron Man 1? Parts of this movie were boring.

I knew I should be worried when everytime I turned around I kept seeing Iron Man / Burger King, Iron Man / (buy iron man's car)..... "Sold Out" is right. Congratulations on another below average sequel Hollywood. I guess Transformers 2 didn't teach you anything. Absolutely Sad.

May 9, 2010 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. Michael Smith

Iron Man 2 sold out months ago; haven't you seen all the merchandising tie ins?

May 9, 2010 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. Casprd

Saw it last week in China. Awesome. So much better than the original and that was pretty good.

May 9, 2010 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. deflair

another hollywood movie that dumbs down america.

May 8, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Janice Gibson

Saw it Friday, great movie. Great for a sequel!

May 8, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Steve

iron man 2 had the worst script in the history of movies
    i loved iron man 1. saw it 100 times. i almost walked out of iron man 2

May 8, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BigMoose85

IRON-MAN 2 was pretty good,i got the bootleg copy a few days before it hit theaters yesterday.Its mostly talkin' & not to much action besides at the end of course.There will be a IRON-MAN 3 in the summer of 2012,that flim starts shootin' sometime in the fall the Avengers will be featured in it.

May 8, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kaci

I saw it yesterday, better than the first movie! Better plot, better acting, and even RD JR. looked better in it.

May 8, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ragi

That was a Great action flick. I am gonna get the dvd when it comes out. Scarlet's panty lines were the icing on the cake. The story was so so but ya dont go see an action movie for the in depth character studies.

May 8, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  15. Aaron

Piracy Issue is really bad ...its been online for at least 7 days

May 8, 2010 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  16. ace

This movie is great and deserves its cash at the box office – yes, it's different than the 1st but it is better in a lot of ways, remember it had to cater to a lot of audience demands. See it on the big screen but do get there early, even the afternoon shows are selling out.

May 7, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  17. nellydesign

I'm going tomorrow and am counting on just walking in and sitting down without buying tickets ahead of time. But then again, I live in SE Michigan, and the area is so depressed I've NEVER seen a movie sell out. In fact I've never seen a theater more than 3/4 full even on opening nights.

May 7, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jeff

I thought the movie opened overseas first due to the World Cup and fears that would draw the predominantly male crowd from seeing the movie. I'm pretty sure piracy issues are worse overseas.

May 7, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mike

Seen it, sorry but not that good, just like the first one.

May 7, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Thomas

The problem with Iron Man 2 is, unlike other comic sequels (The Dark Knight, X-Men 2...), it doesn't go anywhere. Downey Junior is doing the same old shtick, so if you like it the first time you'll probably like it anyway.

Beyond that however, we know where Iron Man 2 is going, because it was already given in The Incredible Hulk.

May 7, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Michael

This trailer for SUPER 8 looks incredible! In 2008, Cloverfield was the movie I could not wait to see on screen. I now know that next year's will be Super 8 for me. JJ Abrams is on such a hot streak right now, I don't know how his fans couldn't be excited. Aliens, Steven Spielberg, and JJ Abrams all rolled into one equal major summer blockbuster. The buzz that will build around this movie is going to be MASSIVE. I can't wait. More details and the leaked trailer is here: http://thesmogger.com/2010/05/07/super-excited-for-super-8/

May 7, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Roshie JONES

Wow! Saw it last week in S. America! Scarlets physical scenes are off the charts! Has she been working with Woo Ping?????? WOW!
    HATED that Marvel was to cheap to get Terrance Howard back. I hate remakes when they don't bring the Stars back!!!!! Based on the international box office numbers they could have managed that real easy! Mickey Rourke is making it back big. I find this story a bit far fetched. In my Mind, the DarkKnight was done Better! Let's see what the USA Box offices says about this this weekend!

May 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. GB

Opened on 6 screens last night. Sold out first screen, we made it in front row of second screen. Awesome. Better. Audience was stroked. Ms. Johnansson rocked her role. All actors are on their game.

May 7, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  24. vk

Went to advanced preview yesterday, loved it, it's kick ass

May 7, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Tighelander

Hammer is in one of the most memorable scenes of the movie.

May 7, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jeremy Fray

When they went on sale, I got 2 VIP tickets at a theater where they bring you what you order from the concession stand and seat me 30 minutes before the movie, before the rest of the theater, in reserved seats with extra leg room. I have been waiting for this movie since the credits rolled on the first Iron Man.

May 7, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Raj

Save your cash, over-hyped, this movie blows

May 7, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  28. maddawg

i can't believe how many of you lemmings will actually go out of your way to cram yourselves together with a million other lemmings to pack into an overpriced theater with no elbow room and strangers that would just as soon spit on you as help you when you need it.....

i'm just glad i can download it now.......!!!

it is a great movie and in the comfort of my HUGE screen, HighDefinition, HighFidelity, Full SurroundSound entertainment center at home......it just doesn't get any better!!! :)

May 7, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  29. Cooley Horner

I saw this last night with friends. We all enjoyed from beginning to end. It's very witty, and Robert Downey Jr. makes it all worth while.

May 7, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  30. jon

Iron man 2 is going to be awesome + they have the best music AC/DC baby! Shoot to Thrill

May 7, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  31. JohnnyB

I saw a screening of it in Houston last Tuesday. Don't let anyone tell you any differently, it is a great fun movie. I found it to be funnier than the first one, and the tech is amazing!

May 7, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  32. urinsane

"horrible music of acdc" –
    only some of the best music ever produced.
    what are you 70?

May 7, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  33. anonymous

Loved the first one. Looking forward to seeing the sequel.

May 7, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  34. DK

I agree with the ones saying all action flick, no story.

The first Iron Man has a valid story line, not just a huge robot war.

My expectations lie around the same level they did for Transformers 2.

May 7, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  35. kj

iron man dies at the end

May 7, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  36. CBS

watched it last nite,, awesome movie.. once the pace is on, it never stops.. :)

May 7, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  37. zeckad

Already seen it from the comfort of my living room online, GREAT MOVIE!! Nice and well placed humor, and...well I don't want to spoil it for any of you right?

May 7, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  38. MarVelFanBoy

Can't wait to return to the states and see it! Simply love all the comic to movie adaptations! It's about time Hollywood found a way to "big screen" these incredible characters and stories! Now if they keep going where they started with Rings, there are so many great fantasy novels that would rock the movies too! Christopher Rowley, Robert Jordan...and so many more!
    BTW, Live in Vegas...It's all so tired...your unyielding rhetoric that is...learn some new catch phrases if you have the capacity...I doubt it though...

May 7, 2010 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  39. Anita

I saw it in Luxembourg last weekend. Being stationed overseas does have it's advantages!

I liked it better than the first one!

AC/DC was perfect music.

I'm not gay, or a violent loving dude. I'm a liberal woman who enjoys a decent film.

Stay until the credits are done to catch a peak at what they're working on next. ;-)

May 7, 2010 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  40. Terry

Was able to see it last Wed in Eindhoven Imax Theater (Netherlands)... very very impressive! RDJ was excellent, as usual. Wait 'til the end of the credits...Cheers!

May 7, 2010 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  41. David

Some f*ggot thinks ac/dc makes bad music? F8ck you go eat a d*ck!

May 7, 2010 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  42. Jed

Its REALLY good, ALOT better than I expected, GO SEE IT!!!

May 7, 2010 at 5:55 am | Report abuse |
  43. flor

Just came back from the midnight showing in Phoenix and it was awesome! Not entirely sold out but then again there were two screens showing and both were really packed in tight.

May 7, 2010 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  44. Joey E.

I just saw this movie, and I was happy with it. It was fun. It was worth my time and money. If you want to complain about a movie, go see "Furry Creatures."

May 7, 2010 at 4:30 am | Report abuse |
  45. T

Yep....Ironman 2 is selling out. Or should I say it has already sold out. Mindless drivel......

May 7, 2010 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  46. Jimbo

I love CNN. 92% of the days sales is not surprising for a blockbuster midnight release on a Thursday. There wasn't a lot of pull at the box office last Friday, by Thursday it should be dead. To the point where selling half an auditoriums worth of seats for it could easily double the whole days business in some cases.

Downey has been reliable lately, Iron Man's awesome, I'm sure it worth seeing.

May 7, 2010 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
  47. Russell

haha I've already seen it twice. Australia rules!

May 7, 2010 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  48. Jm

I'm going to watch Iron man 2 on the internet. Why did they release it overseas first?

May 7, 2010 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  49. tnguyen

i think this gonna be a good movie , looks good

May 7, 2010 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  50. scherif

Iron Man 2 was better than the first one. I wasnt expecting it to be as good as the first one but it was definitely its superior.

May 7, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  51. Mindy

Thor.

May 7, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  52. Raptor

Already seen it here in Luxembourg in Europe. Im a USAF member. Awesome movie.....

May 7, 2010 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  53. suzy diamond

Can't wait to see this movie. At least Robert Downey Jr and Director Jon Favreau know how to make a great film. The rest of Hollyweird is asleep at the wheel! Most of what's out there now sucks and you can tell by the box office$$.

May 7, 2010 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  54. Downer

M cat just puked out a hairball. It looks a heck of a lot like Mickey Rourke.

May 7, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  55. Jay

Mickey Rourke won't be happy, for some reason they eliminated him from this article. Trailors show him the main villian. Wonder why no mention, that's not nice. Also, I don't get it, WHAT'S the BIG DEAL, having to rush out and see this opening night? What's wrong with people? It'll be in the theaters for at least a month or more. Wow, the world is a gimme RIGHT NOW society. So silly. I want to see it, but we'll wait till the crowds go down, and not as many nuts in the theater! Live in NYC, yes there are ton of nuts here.

May 7, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  56. Len in Austin

awesome! can't wait for my piratebay torrent to finish downloading!! OMG i love ironman!

May 7, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  57. Larry

I will not be seeing this move. Not because I don't want to see it, but because I am blind.

May 6, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  58. BUNNY

Great movie saw at thanks to local television station....SUPER

May 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Tony S

Saw the movie today in (likely one of the last USA) screening event.
    It was great! Downey Jr. is such a perfect match for the role of Tony Stark.

May 6, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Riley

Iron man 2 is amayzizing i saw it wadnesday night ant i just about blew my pants off, pluss its cool watching it b 4 it hits theaters

May 6, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Lisa

I got to see the 7pm sneak preview showing of it today and it's 100% entertaining!!! Go see it!

May 6, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Sam

I happen to be an arab and don't think the first one was war mongering or racist. In fact it shows a weapons manufacturer, someone who profits off war transform renounce his weapons company and turn towards environmental technologies. He then puts himself in danger to defend people.

Trust me I am an ultra liberal and i love Iron Man.

May 6, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Jesse

Movie was awesome! Watched it in South Korea. Will watch it one more time in IMAX. Comic book fans out there don't forget to stay after the movie but of course they already know that. For everyone else however dont forget to watch after the credits. Secret!

May 6, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Kevin Cassidy

aw HELL yeah!!!

May 6, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  65. kmillard6

it will be AWESOME!since when cant people just go to a movie and enjoy it for what it is_entertainment!

May 6, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Mark

Can't wait to see the movie. Wouldn't dare risk ruining it by watching any of the crappy online pirated copies. I am living in Germany and my son is coming from the states for summer vacation next week. We will be seeing it Monday night.

May 6, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Lori

I was lucky enough to see the premiere in L.A. last week, the movie is better than the first, you wont be dissapointed.

May 6, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Lisa

I'm here in the Philippines and I got my ticket two weeks before IM2 opened in Manila on April 30th. Saw IM2, loved it, and I'm going to see it again next week with two friends who saw it, loved it, and would love to see it again!

I CANNOT wait for IM3!

May 6, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Wigz

It is a very good movie! You have to see it! I was totally impressed!

May 6, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Jason

I'm going to the Two for One tonight at Amc. They are showing the first Iron Man at 9Pm, and Iron Man 2 at Midnight! Woo Hoo can't wait.

May 6, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  71. moon627

Just saw it – fun movie :) but not as good as the first.

Mickey Rourke makes a good russian villian but Jeff Bridges was better.

Scarlett was gorgeous but her part was small – same with Gwyneth

Samuel Jackson was fun and Don Cheadle filled in well for Terrance Howard

May 6, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  72. J Styles

Forgot to mention Mickey Rourke in the articl- he's the biggest reason I'm going to see it!

May 6, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Michael Yip

Pretty pathetic movie for a sequel. Not much action until the last 15 mins. Some bits of action in the dull buildup stage. Best part was Mickey Rourke Character carving up race cars in the Monaco Grand Prix...
    Hollywood hype-typical. wait for the video!
    2/5 stars

May 6, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  74. jason

I live in South Korea, and I've gone to see Iron Man 2 twice already, and plan to see it again. It is worth it. It has all the action and more of the first movie. And Mickey Rourke really surprised me as being a believable villain. Kudos Mr. Rourke.

May 6, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Tony61

I'm not a big fan of Robert Downey Jr., but i have to say that this movie was spectacular. Go see it for yourselves. It was as good, if not better than the first one.

May 6, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Brian

I already bought my tickets online through Fandango for the Saturday night show at 7:00 pm. Psyched!!

May 6, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  77. D

With Iron Man dying in this one, how are they going to bring him back for 'The Avengers' – thats kind of weird.

May 6, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Buyaka

I already saw it And its very good. New Chest piece is wicked

May 6, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Elena

Already seen it here at Mexico!
    Love the movie! and stay all the credits there is some extra stuff....

May 6, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  80. chancie

I already have my tickets for tomorrow night! Whoo hoo!

May 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  81. derekj

watch it free @ myvideolinks.us

May 6, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Superhiro

Saw it. Overrated. First movie was way better.

May 6, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  83. steve

i hate the term popcorn flick. it's either a good movie a great movie or a bad one. if a movie relies on cgi and the story isn't there...not a good movie as far as i'm concerned.

May 6, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Salina

man...this movie will definitely be a big hit! can't wait to see it!

May 6, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  85. joshua

@David Foster. This is Entertainment News, in the Entertainment section of CNN. It's news to me and those who enjoy this type of article. @Victor, it's predicting numbers close to that of Batman for an opening weekend, which is not in 3D.

May 6, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  86. ASDAS

DA

May 6, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Nigel Campbell

I saw it yesterday in Trinidad (cinemas 8) and it was good. I loved Gwyneth Paltrow!

May 6, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Hannah

Most definitely looking forward to this movie!

May 6, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  89. David Foster

This is NOT news..

May 6, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  90. LIve in Vegas

Some of you people amaze me. You downgrade something you haven't seen. You call 9it racist. Your just as bad as those tea baggers who sit on the other end who alos talk out of their sinched up spinchters. If you don't like it don't go see it but shut up about things you know nothing about.

May 6, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  91. jon46410

i wonder if this could beat avatar?

May 6, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Victor

I understand that they premiered it overseas because of piracy fears, but what the big Hollywood geniuses who came up with that choice forgot is that piracy is not restricted to just back alleys in dirty parts of town.

I already saw a link to pirated copy on the internet for God's sake.

They should have just gone with a World Premiere.

May 6, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Victor

I don't think it will make the predicted numbers, mainly cause it's not in 3-D (thank God)!!!

May 6, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  94. JDS

If you want a popcorn action flick then this is it. There is a scene after the credits.

May 6, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Nick

IRON MAN 2 is awesome everybody, don't be fooled. I loved it as much as the first movie and more.

May 6, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  96. AB73

Really ?!? This movie looks Horrible

May 6, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  97. M76

The first Iron Man came uncomfortably close to racism, and the ads for this sequel uses the horrible "music" of ACDC. This franchise feels like its designed for conservative violent hyper-masculine straight boys.

May 6, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Mark

It does not live up to expectations unfortunately.

May 6, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  99. chris

i want my tikets but the gay guy jhon took them all we should pow him+

May 6, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  100. will

Going to an advanced screening at 7 today, this is going to be awesome.

May 6, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  101. joe a

no its because of the world cup, they want to release ahead or they'll lose moviegoers (money) while they watch the world cup.

May 6, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Henry

I bought two tickets for Saturday's IMAX showing five days ago in Chicago because they were selling so fast!

May 6, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  103. JRL

Can't wait....!

May 6, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Joe

Too bad they had to open it overseas first due to overseas piracy. I guess that will be the future trend.

May 6, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  105. gudia baba

i Want three tickets...

May 6, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  106. slap happy joe

kick ass – cant wait for da movie!

May 6, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |