May 5th, 2010

TV recap: Secrets of 'Parenthood'

We finally get most of the deal on what’s up with Zeek and Camille.  The heads of the Braverman clan have been keeping secrets, from each other and from their kids.

We’ve seen hints of problems since the show started, but it comes to a head at a Braverman gathering.

Crosby spent the night at Jasmine’s. We join them as they do the “We can’t let the kid know Mommy’s friend spent the night” scramble, even though Mommy’s friend is Daddy.

Jabbar finally catches Crosby one night, and Jasmine seems to have second thoughts about the second go round on the relationship.  Crosby is continuing on the road to adulthood and assures her he wants to be with her.

Hyper competitive Julia is going to take over coaching Sydney’s soccer team.  Even the five-year-old thinks it’s a bad idea.

What’s going to make it worse?  Zen mom Raquel is coaching another team, and she’s got five-year-olds running World Cup style drills, while Julia’s group is sharing cute kindergarten tricks.

And after Julia’s team loses 11-0, Zen mom comes to offer one of her players, ‘cause she has so many good ones. (I really don’t like this chick) Julia looked like she was thinking about it, until she sees nephew Jabbar playing by himself and making every shot.  Turns out Jabbar is quite the little ringer and he helps the team win the game.  The team they beat is coached by Zen mom (bonus!), complete with tie-dyed uniforms.

In the teen-angst portion of the show, Haddie’s boyfriend is trying to get her to sleep with him.  She doesn’t, and then breaks up with him.  She talks to cousin Amber about it.  Amber says she did the right thing, deciding not to lose her virginity when she knows he’s not the right guy.  Amber runs into the now ex-boyfriend while she’s working at the country club.  At first, he wants Amber to talk to Haddie for him.  Then he hints that he likes her.  Amber excuses herself immediately. As troubled as she might be, Amber does seem like one of those "wise beyond her years" kind of kids.

The club has what appears to be an eighties party. I’m going off topic here for a minute, because being a child of the '80s, I have to say I am appalled. There were several bad Madonnas and a horrible Hammer, the requisite Don Johnson imitation (or was it Corey Hart?) and a pitiful “Purple Reign”-era Prince dancing to “Come on Eileen.”

I understand the stuff we used to wear in high school may seem questionable now, but this was just uncalled for. Besides, that much synthetic lace and hairspray in one room must constitute a fire hazard.

Back to topic; Haddie’s ex apparently likes Amber.  He’s trying to cozy up to her and she seems to like getting the attention from the good guy for a change.  I’m sure nothing good can come of this.

Zeek’s money issues are getting desperate.  Sarah finds some of his things at a pawn shop, including a prized Reggie Jackson autographed baseball.  She talks to Adam, who tells her about their dad’s financial problems.

Later the Braverman kids get together and decide to have a family meeting about it.  Camille didn’t know about the financial issues, and once she finds out she hints at some other problems.  That’s one Braverman get together that wasn’t warm and fuzzy.  Turns out Zeek has cheated on Camille, who tells Sarah the day after the dinner.  Even though Sarah had an idea something was going on, you could see how hurt she was to know it for sure.  There are some things you don’t ever want to hear about your parents, no matter how old you are.

The show ends with Zeek showing up at Adam’s door with a bag in his hand.

What do you think?  Have Zeek and Camille shared too much with the kids, or since they are adults, is it OK to let them in on their problems?  Let us know what you think.

1. Dwight

it's "purple rain" not reign

May 5, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. IAMSOBZ

Kids don't usually want to know the intimacies of their parents' relationship. I wanted my grown children to understand why I was divorcing their father after 34 years (no extramarital issues were involved), but they wanted no part of it. They felt if they knew too much, they would have to take sides. They wanted to stay above the fray and maintain good relationships with both of us.

May 5, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. genx

for starters, i LOVE this show!
    to answer your question, no, i don't think parents should share their issues with their children, no matter how old. as a 30-something-year old daughter of parents who have over-shared with me, i can tell you, it's a bad idea. children take sides and get caught in the middle and it gets ugly. if parents have problems they need to work through them privately or get professional help – don't involve your kids – even if they are grown-ups.

May 5, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jensen

I don't know what good can come of telling the children, but it is the parent's choice. Personally, I wouldn't want to know. As for the show, I absolutely love it! It is one of the best on television. Great cast!

May 5, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. skyler88

Personally, i think the children – no matter how old they are – should be spared the information that wouldn't do them any good. It is one thing if children find out on their own to which parents shouldn't lie about it either. But then again, everyone has their own opinion on how honest we should be as a parent. I love this how so much. I am so glad that it was renewed for another season.... YEAH!!!..

May 5, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tammy Lynn

Bob...loved your comment! It made me chuckle :)
    Ya know, it could also be spelled Zeak if someone wished.....
    I love this show.....it takes me into my own little world of make-believe.
    I was an only child...my parents are divorced and I never had children.
    It's my one hour escape every week.....Best to you all who are reading...

May 5, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mavk825

I don't think parents should tell their adult children their entire personal library of problems, unless one or both are on the verge of dementia or some major illness that the children will be required to help with. If a parent becomes insolvent and asks the children for assistance, then they can deal with it and be included in decision making.

May 5, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Julie

No i don't think so they should know too because it there life and there the mother and father and the kids should know everything about what is going on.

May 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bob

As soon as we start spelling Zeke differently, the terrorists win.

May 5, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jen

I'm pretty sure it's a free country and many names are spelled many different ways. Plus, it's a television show.

May 5, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |