May 5th, 2010

TV Recap: Did this week's 'Glee' make your list?

testing captions
testing captions

How does one get on the “glist?”

Such a great plot line on “Glee” Tuesday night when the gang found out that there was a list ranking the hotness of the Glee Club members which struck me as totally realistic and oh, so high school.

Poor Rachel was at the bottom of the list while Mercedes and Kurt didn’t even rate a ranking (ouch!). The hilarity ensues as people try to improve their standing on the glist.

Over in teachers land, Will a.k.a. Mr. Schuester is labeled a “man-whore” after Emma finds out about his make-out session with the coach for Vocal Adrenaline and that he “slept” with April (though we all know that nothing happened).

It was nice to see the dysfunctional Emma in a mode other than “swoon for Will.” Their relationship is turning out to be much more complex, and therefore delicious, than I had anticipated.

Still loving Brittany’s one liners and it was great to see her link up with Artie and the gang for a rendition of “Can’t Touch This.” I get so used to seeing Britt in a two shot with Santana that I enjoyed watching her branch out.

But what really sent me over the top was Coach Sue Sylvester’s duet with Olivia Newton John. “Let’s Get Physical” has never been more fun even though they auto-tuned actress Jane Lynch who plays Sue within an inch of her life.

It was also nice to see Sue get a bit of the taunting thrown back at her. And her scenes with her sister who has Down Syndrome were beyond touching. I love to hate Sue, but I also don’t mind loving to love her a little bit too.

And raise your hand if you have found yourself singing Bonnie Tyler’s “Total Eclipse of the Heart” since the last scene of the show. Yeah, me too!

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television

1. Jenn

I particularly enjoyed Mr. Schu's dancing and Puck trying to
    play the Jewish card" with Rachel. Also Kurt's *gold* Hammer pants for U Can't Touch This. Actually, I started laughing before the song, as soon as I saw them all in Hammer pants. I liked the theme of "bad reputation" both the Glist and the rehabilitation of songs with a "bad reputation." And Will's bad rep, and Sue's. As always, I was very moved by Sue's scenes with her sister, and I like the fact that the writers haven't "forgotten" about either Sue's sister nor the developmentally disabled girl on the Cheereios (she wasn't on this week, but she was on last week). They could have made that plotline a one-shot and never gone back to it again, but I like the way that she show is kind of in your face about teenagers who feel different for one reason or another, whether a physical disability or difference, or emotional issues. And not just teachers - how about Emma's phobias and OCD? The other thing I really enjoy about this show is how famous it's making Jane Lynch, who up until now has been great in comic supporting roles (The 40 Year Old Virgin comes to mind), and all of those Christopher Guest movies (which are well-liked but not as popular as Glee). Jane Lynch is something of a treasure, IMHO, and it's nice to see her get this kind of attention.

May 6, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rebecca

I love this show! Brittney's one liners are hysterical.. and Sue makes me hate her and love her at the same time.. OUTSTANDING!

May 6, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. sarah

in the MC Hammer dance scene is that Heather Morris dancing with the rest os the cast? I dident know she could dance so well!! Good job to all

May 5, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Snarebear

I thought the last few episodes of Glee were just OK. I want more of the glee kids singing and not so much of the teachers singing. Hopefully the next few week get better.

May 5, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sam

Just found out tuesday afternoon my dog has cancer and 6 months to live if that. I know, sad. Devistating for me actually. Watched a few shows with my best friend to try and keep my mind off it. Honestly the knot of dread in my stomach only unclinched during glee. It was able to distract me enough to the point were I could pet my dog's head and laugh at all the rediculousness of the show without busting into tears. So thank you to glee

May 5, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Michelle

Last night's episode was a good one to me. It had a GREAT song line-up! I never noticed how well Brittany could dance until I saw U Can't Touch This! She rocked it!!

Rachel's project was interesting. Like Ann, I wanted to feel bad for Jesse, but I just can't. I was almost kind of glad inside that he doesn't want anything to do with her now. His whole ordeal is just fishy to me. I mean, transferring schools just to be Rachel's boyfriend?? I mean I know high schoolers do crazy things when they think they're "in love," but to go that extreme? And they had barely been together.

Sue Sylvester really is the character you love to hate. While you kind of bask in the gloriousness of her starting to become destroyed for once, you can't help but be touched by her scenes with her sister, and be impressed with the fact that she always finds a way back up to the top.

While it makes me sad that they couldn't even let Will and Emma work out for one episode, the complexity of their rollar coaster relationship is almost delicious and just leaves you wanting more, kind of like a Luke/Lorelai relationship from Gilmore Girls. Even though Will messed up, he's still that perfectly sweet romantic guy that you just swoon over. I hope Emma still sees that in him.

I also like the scene with Will and Quinn. While it was a shock that she was the one that actually did it, it makes sense because she had the most to gain from it. We've grown to love Quinn maturing from the snotty cheerleader she used to be. Even though she's gone through so much, you know she has the potential to bounce back again

Can't wait to see next week's episode and see Puck's haircut!

May 5, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Alex

I know I'm in the minority, but considering this is the second episode in the span of three to have Sue singing, I'm feeling like we are two weeks away from Will donning water skis to jump the shark.

Sue should not be singing like the rest of the cast. It feels to Cop Rock to me. I like that this "small" episode had so much going for it, but I had to watch it twice to notice it all. And when I saw it the first time, I hated it.

Brittany is a genius character, and the wife and I are still using her dolphin line around the house. And the music was good, but there was too much of it for no reason. U Can't Touch This was awesome...but pointless. If these kids the best way to get into trouble is to SING in the library, then Kurt needs to get ahold of some Gossip Girl episodes STAT!

I like the show, but now it's feeling like they're trying too hard. That said, Rachael's project was solid, but unless all three guys filmed everything, the boys just looked stupid for not knowing that the others would be involved. The fact that it hurt more than helped was a nice touch, but I would have rather seen her get a slushie ot the face.

May 5, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Omaha Reader

I worked OT last nite so I had to TVR it & will watch it tonite.... can't wait... Hope this episode will be as good as last week 'Home' episode. Go 'Glee'!!

May 5, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Alex

They lost some MAJOR points for Ice, Ice Baby. Sorry, Schuster, not even you can make it cool – EVER...

May 5, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Brian

If you like total eclipse of the heart, this video is HYSTERICAL

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj-x9ygQEGA&w=640&h=390]

May 5, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tuesday

I didn't even realize I KNEW the words to Total Eclipse of the Heart...but there I was singing along...my son looked at me like – where did that come from? I dunnoooooo. I loved last night's episode – especially U Can't Touch This....PS my son auditioned for Glee – search and vote for Gbari.

May 5, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. minxiewinksie

"Can't Touch This and "Let's Get Physical" were definite highlights for me. I don't know if it's the way Britney says things or what she says that makes me die every time she opens her mouth...she's an awesome dancer too.

Also, was it just me or did Sue sound a little synthesized?

May 5, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ann

I will agree with Dave. It was an OK episode. The music was great though!! Will gettin down with a bit of Vanilla Ice (dance moves and all), Can't Touch This in the library and Total Eclipse of the Heart during ballet class. Great stuff! Personally I think Brittany should have more lines and Rachel should keep her mouth shut a bit more.
    I want to feel for Jesse getting his "heart broken" by Rachel but I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, by way of his agenda, that I just can't bring myself to.
    But best of all...PUCK HAD SINGING AND SPEAKING LINES!!! We need more Puck!!! Can't wait for the haircut next week : )

May 5, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Chex

I thought it was a great episode! I love Olivia and Sue's "Let's Get Physical". And yes, I have been singing Total Eclipse of the Heart since the show last night. I hope to see Will and Emma back together. I really like them.

May 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dave Yaeck

I got to keep it real. This was just an OK episode. Lot of good laughs ok music (however LOVED the duet with ONJ and Sue). Did not really dig Rachael's project. Ice Ice Baby was cute and Total Eclipse was decent. This to me was more of a transitional episode, but I did like they developed Sue's sister's character more. Puts a good endearment spin. But overall it was just OK for me.

May 5, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  16. T-Bone

Been singing it all morning!! Awesome song...

May 5, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |