May 5th, 2010

'Breaking Dawn' gets a release date

Breaking Dawn book coverThe fourth installment of the “Twilight” saga, “Breaking Dawn,” is set to rise on November 18, 2011, Summit Entertainment has announced.

Now that you’ve marked all of your calendars and have started a countdown clock, there’s still one remaining question: will “Breaking Dawn” be kept as one film, or be split into two? The book itself is massive and the rumors of Summit trying to stretch out their vampire/werewolf goldmine have been floating around since last December, so the possibility of two films isn’t inconceivable.

But, Summit isn’t saying. Whatever this release may be – the end of “Twilight” or just the beginning of the end – we do know it will be more than a year without a “Twilight” film after “Eclipse” arrives in theaters June 30. What will the Twi-hards do with all of that time?

Filed under: movies • Twilight

1. lisa

I hate that its going to be a year till it comes out .. Yes I think that they should make it into two movies like others have said thr is just too much stuff that can't be left out .. I really wish that she would write another book , whr its Renesmee telling the story. Tht would be awesome

October 14, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cassia

I love the twilight series, i personally think if people dont like it they must not know what love feels like in root that what the books are really about which alot of people can relate to. Im so excited For June 30th!!!!!!!!!!!! even though the third was my least fav i loved the fourth book i hope its one movie i can stand the thought of waiting so long for the whole story!!!

May 30, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jessica

While Breaking Dawn had a lot of the background stories in it and is important to the whole Twilight story line, I felt that she (Meyer) dragged out the pregnancy of Bella for too long. Half of the visits between Jacob and Bella could have been cut out. I, for one, cant wait to see Eclipse next month and will be (im)patiently waiting for the release of Breaking Dawn. It will be interesting to see how the movie will unfold and how closely it will follow the book. I think the Twilight series is a great story line, and while it may not be the best vampire stories out there, according to those who are avid vampire fans, I love that she was able to combine some fights and blood baths with a great love story.

May 8, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. mike

i will be sad if they make two movies. they should just make one whole movie and then make more for the end.

May 7, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Clete

Why haven't they come up with a movie "Breaking Wind"?

May 7, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Robert

I do agree with the sentiment that Breaking Dawn should be two movies. As so much information/back story is filled in in Breaking Dawn, to do it justice, and keep it to a length/pace that people will enjoy, it can really only be done as two movies.

May 7, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. Niki

I second you, You Must Be Bored. If you're so opposed to the Twilight movies/books why waste your time reading the article and commenting? I think it shows a low level of maturity to do it just because. Otherwise, you must me a fan and afraid to admit it. :)

May 6, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JWG

Love it, TKE! So right!

May 6, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mia

TKE- Hilarious comment. I will take any type of chocolate. Breaking Dawn was not my favorite of the books. It was almost as if she could have made two books out of it instead craming all that into one book. But over all I liked them. I think that Hollywood should turn it in to two movies like the Harry Potter Deathly Hollows. There is just sooo much in the last book that having to pick and chose what should go in the movie and what can be left out is going to be difficult. Because granted you can only put so much in a 2-3 hr movie. There is just to much stuff that is important in Breaking Dawn to rally cut any of it. So here's hoping they make 2 movies.

May 6, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. You Must Be Bored

What cracks me up is all the people on here that hate the Twilight books and movies...why are you on the story, commenting then? You all must be closeted fans!

I do hope they turn the last book into two movies, like the Deathly Hollows in the HP series. Can't wait!

May 6, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. TKE

First of all, married mother with an 18 year old daughter, college-educated (master's degree), avid reader and Twilight fan. Yes, I feel guilty about lusting after a 17 year old..... my husband was very kind to point out that I inhaled sharply every time he appeared shirtless on the screen. I think Eclipse was the worst of the four books. I also liked Breaking Dawn the best. For those who think it wasn't good because there wasn't a bloodbath at the end, I blame our society and all the slasher movies for making you think that without extreme violence there isn't a good story. Sometimes, if you try hard, you can avoid conflict, a lesson we could all learn from. Finally, choosing between what's good for you and what is your heart's desire is the point of all four books. That is a struggle that most of us deal with our entire lives, it's relevant whether you are 16, 36 or 66. Admittedly, Romeo and Juliet it is not, but entertaining and enjoyable – most definitely. Think of it like this, R&J = fine swiss chocolate, Twilight series = Hershey's bar. I don't know about ya'll but if I want chocolate, I don't mind a Hershey's bar.

May 5, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. califonianstuckinwashington

come on people!! the books are amazing!! just admit it!!!

and if you have not read them and you are talking bad about them.... you are just crazy and find something new to complain about!!!

May 5, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. califonianstuckinwashington

fdgh

May 5, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dsaz312

Whoever is upset about people spoiling the movies is absurd!! People who want to see these movies should really read the books,so there are no spoilers for you! The books are fab!

May 5, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fred

I think what Sue is referring to is the writer's implication that Twihards have nothing to do but sit around and wait for the next movie – though from what I've seen, that's not too far from the truth in some (but certainly not all) cases.

Derekk: Her name is Meyer, and I hope she sees fit to find another career rather than writing more pointless sequels, as she is indeed a "mediocre author for a mediocre audience", as Stacey so eloquently put it. She should have plenty of money by now, so maybe she can open a restaurant chain, or release a line of sparkly body paints for effeminate fanboys or something.

May 5, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Derekk.

Cant waitt for Breaking Dawn andd i kind of aggre with sue...Because it really is insulting to some of us twilight fans out their.Andd Eclipsee is going to be a HIT!! June 30thh 2010...But i dont think any of us can wait so long just to see the fourth one,,I obviously think they should have made the Breaking Dawn movie a closer date...Yet it is really long so thatt makes since,,also that We dont want Twilight to end any sooner...Cause that'll just leave us upset. :(...But you knoee,,We'll worry about that then. :),,Andd I hope Stephenie Myer finds the need into making another one of these books,,,They're just so addicting. (:

-Derek-

May 5, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Vickie

I liked the first book – more for the telling of the relationship part not the vampire part, because any vampire fan will tell you that part sucked (ha ha pun intended!) . So I bought the rest of the books in one fail swoop, as well as her "adult" book The Host, thinking I was getting more of the same. Not so much. The rest of her books reeked and IMHO The Host was Twilight with symbiot life forms. I agree with liesbeth.. all 4 books could of been made into 1.. maybe 2 movies. Tops. I have seen the first movie, and that was enough for me.

May 5, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  18. KMR

We'll read the books and watch the movies over and over again!!! :)

May 5, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Brendan

Bella sucks, Edward sucks more, and you are all gross for finding 17 year old Jacob hot.

May 5, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  20. liesbeth

breaking dawn a huge story? what book did you guys read

the book maybe long. but the depth could fill a trifold pamphlet

with a little editing that bad boy cut down to 30 minutes flat. taking out all the unnecessary swooning and it might be a movie worth watching.

May 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Snarebear

I don't get it.. There's only a year between the two movies.. it no difference between the time difference betweent the first and second movie, and then the second and third? Maybe i'm reading it wrong..

May 5, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  22. good stuff

i found the second movie to be quite hilarious. this is a spoof movie right? i would put it right under the naked gun in quality.

May 5, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Shonda

I guess I will just have to take a lot of trips to Forks and La push during the down time between movies.

May 5, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. thecrashdodger

just awful movies.......just awful. when will this end?

May 5, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Stacey

Seriously... this was the worst book ever. All the drama in the middle of the book... and then a huge let down on what could have been the coolest vampire bloodbath in recent literary history.

The ending was weak. Stephanie Meyer is still a mediocre author for a mediocre audience. Her editor should also be fired.

May 5, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristen

I agree with you about the ending being such a let down. I remember reading the book and thinking this is how it ends?

July 2, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  26. coresadanel

Mo, it's people like you that make me hate reading the comments... Not every Twilight fan has read the fourth book yet, are hope you're happy with yourself

May 5, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Brittany

I think they should make two seperate movies just because Breaking Dawn is a huge book and a long story. And it would give Twilight fans something to look forward to. BD is the last book of the series and that would mean no more movies.

May 5, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Bree

Perhaps the reason the release date is so far off is that they need the extra time to shoot and edit both movies (I agree there should be two). Presumably, they would shoot them both consecutively to avoid appearance changes in the cast (ala Lord of the Rings).

May 5, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Denise

Well for the dual tween sci-fi nerds, like me, both Harry Potter final movies will be released between Eclipse and Breaking Dawn, so that should take care of the break!

May 5, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Mo

I agree Laura. I don't know what Sue is talking about. I'm insulted that I will have to wait almost a year and a half for Breaking Dawn. And yes, it really needs to be 2 movies to catch the wedding and birth of Renesmee and to also fully explore the fight between the Voltari, the good vampires, and the werewolves. Can't do all that in a 2 to 3 hour movie.

May 5, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Me

Well I know that it will be difficult to go so long without a movie but I think I will survive. I really hope that they make 2 movies. That way there won't be important moments that are left out

May 5, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Laura

What part of that is insulting? I dont get it!

May 5, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Sue

They should have somebody write these things that actually likes Twilight. Otherwise, it just sounds insulting to so many people that love the story.

May 5, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |