May 4th, 2010

The 'Idol' Top 5 to take on Sinatra

testing captions
testing captions

Luck be a lady tonight!

We are down to the Top 5, and Tuesday night the theme is the songs of the Chairman of the Board, Ol' Blue Eyes, Mr. S himself: Francis Albert Sinatra.

I have to say, I think Harry Connick Jr. is the perfect mentor for Sinatra night. If anyone knows how to bring the pipes, personality and the cool, it’s Harry (insert your own “I’m just wild about Harry” joke here).

We are inching closer to crowning this season’s “American Idol” and I wonder if Crystal “MamaSox” Bowersox is feeling the heat, being the only female left in the competition?

Each week it’s getting more difficult to predict who is going home because all of the contestants have been stepping up their game. That’s good for us, since we've been struggling through what has arguably been a painful season.

Join CNN tonight and throughout the "American Idol" season as Lisa Respers France blogs live during the performance and result shows.

1. double your money today

I just like the helpful info you supply to your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and test once more right here frequently. I am slightly sure I will be told many new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the following!

April 19, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. fish farming

Wonderful site. Plenty of useful information here. I'm sending it to a few pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And certainly, thank you in your effort!

April 17, 2012 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. franco

I agree "Big Mike"- HAS TO GO !!! Listening to him sing is like watching
    the Steve Martin movie "Roxanne", about a guy with beautiful words but an hideous nose, leaves one to wonder: "what's wrong with this picture?"

And "little Aaron" did not deserve to be let go, poor decision guys!

May 6, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. millie

Thank-you, big buz.

May 5, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. rhonda

@ mozart4898 and protogete.... dont know if your right about having to pout down the instruments last night BUT i feel they should have to perform WITHOUT instruments period. they have become tomuch of a crutch for the contestants.

May 5, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. big buz

like i always said mike has to gogogogogogogogogo

May 5, 2010 at 5:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. Samanthaz

This season is painful. Not only do most of the contestants lack real talent, they act like they are "all that", and so aren't trying to get better. I'm over Crystal, Casey and Mike. Personally, I don't see any growth there. I hope they have successful careers in music, but they aren't right for the spirit of American Idol. Even though Aaron's voice isn't as strong, you know he is trying the hardest he can each week. I would love for him to win. Lee will probably win and would probably deserve it. Tonight was disappointing. Connick did his best with this group, I'm sure.

May 5, 2010 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Steve C.

How bad does it suck to be the designated blogger covering what's far and away the most disinteresting, uninspired, talent-lacking and forgettable American Idol ever? I feel for you! Good luck.

May 4, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. janet f

Mike has a good voice but that lip/tongue thing is disturbing.

At least Lee tried to sing somewhat jazzy. Sloppy look though. Poor Frank, he must be turning over in his grave tonite.

May 4, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jam

Guess everyone has checked out...
    bye

May 4, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jam

Big Mike's night tonight!

May 4, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jam

agreed!

May 4, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. janet f

What a crock.....she always has some lame excuse for being lazy

May 4, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. janet f

Well that sucked Crystal....it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing....this girl always sounds like she is asleep....impressive, funny...THAT SUCKED

May 4, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. janet f

who knows what any of these judges are talking about...

May 4, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jam

What does Simon mean when he says the song is "indulgent"?

May 4, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. janet f

oh, I meant ba ba

May 4, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  18. janet f

Casey = a sheep, ha ha

May 4, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  19. jam

Casey bombed. Ouch!

May 4, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  20. janet f

Aaron = mouse, ha ha so true...zzzzzzzzz snore

May 4, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  21. jam

Aaron seems quite natural in this style of song. A few pitch problems on the low notes, though.

May 4, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Paul Dpdndtr

Siobhan out?biggest mistake since Daughtry....

May 4, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  23. jam

I'm hoping this isn't Casey's farewell. This isn't his genre.

May 4, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. mozart4898

@ protogere – Word is the producers told them they HAVE to put the instruments down this week.

May 4, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  25. davinlcutch

is anyone else experiencing a 2 second lapse in sound?

May 4, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  26. willyboy

I hope it's not going to be the swan song for Crystal- Bug Mike should be perfect for tonite–

May 4, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  27. janet f

God awful, that's what tonite will be. I will DVR and skim it as usual. Why can't AI allow these kids to sing something current? AI is shooting itself in the foot with all this old stuff. Harry Connick??? does he have a cd to push? I guess the guitars will be put away and the piano will be center stage. Boring, boring, boring....

May 4, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. protogere

I really hope the contestants find some flare and personality and put down their instruments tonight.

May 4, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  29. thierry

Come one, please, do not bring Siobahn back, on this blog again, we had enough with her screams.

BTW we don't need screams and screeches with Frank Sinatra music. Anyone who still needs to support her go to LKL blog where Jason Rovou is the blog producer. He is madly in love with her and mostly welcome her fans. Be aware, any comments not pro Siobahn will be removed. Jason will chop you out!, it is very uncivilized!.

As to the rest of the contestants, I am quite confident that it will be very pleasant to hear them perform, have no problem who will win nor who will lose, cause they are all fine and have good manner on stage.

But I am edging towards Lee.

May 4, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  30. moon627

I agree that Harry Connick Jr is perfect for this show but seriously, I cant imagine anything more boring and old fashioned than Frank Sinatra songs – ugh ! Aaron will probably do well since he seems like an old man already...

May 4, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  31. millie

Maybe Big can sing some Sammy Davis Jr.

May 4, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  32. chipp

i'M SERIOUSLY HOPING THAT 'HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT, ' AARON kELLY CAN BRING IT ON TONIGHT; HOPEFULLY HE'LL REMEMBER COACH TWAINS ADVICE FRM LAST WEEK.. IT'S INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT LEE CAN DO W/O HIS INSTRUMENT.

May 4, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Nurse Gillian

Love Sinatra but not having the anticipation of what Siobhan is going to do is going to be a downer. Will Tivo and possibly skim through later. I don't necessairily dislike the remaining singers but find most of them to be boring.

Can't wait to hear the album Siobhan releases.

May 4, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jim

Only 5 left...now it's getting good !
    Watch American Idol