April 30th, 2010

Dr. Drew starts own production company

testing captions
testing captions

Reality star Dr. Drew Pinsky is forming his own production company.

A spokesperson for Dr. Drew confirmed to CNN that the VH1 “Celebrity Rehab” therapist is forming Dr. Drew Productions which will oversee the development of unscripted programs.

The first planned project, currently titled “Estranged with Dr. Drew,” will feature couples in crisis who must decide whether to get back together or break up.

Filed under: television

1. Dr. Drew Pinsky

Dear Another ( fake) Doc,

Once again, I must state:

Im Dr. Drew Pinsky...and, um.....YOU'RE NOT !!!!

PS: I think I hear yer Mother calling you for supper.....

May 3, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sober Fan

I love Dr. Drew and both Celebrety Rehad and Sober House. I have not personally had to deal with substance abuse, but people very near to me have and these shows have given me insite to their stuggles and a better understanding about how very serious this is. It also tells me that the one's I care about are not that bad off. Watching Mike Starr made me so sad for him and his family. He is so far gone, that I'm not sure that he can be saved, but he's trying and thank God for that. Also watching Tom Sizemore and the shape he's in. I remember him when he as a first rate actor. What a man and look at what's come of him. I hope and pray that he will see this through and will once again be the strong manly super star that he once was.

May 3, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JustBreathe

I'm glad Dr. Drew has been highlighting the dark side to being a celebrity. We have entire generations growing up, watching reality TV, and dreaming of being famous themselves. There are too many narcissistic brats these days, who think being famous is wonderful and that life will be great if they are on TV.

May 3, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nurse Gillian

I like Dr. Drew. I do think he is competent and sincere, which is more than can be said for a lot of docs. So he's making a living from being a TV doc, doesn't bother me.

By the way there isn't a doc out there that at some point hasn't stuck their neck out there and done something unorthodox. If you haven't you are a coward.

May 3, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BB

"This is emblematic of psychiatry today???? Well atleast this egotistical one."

Dr. Drew is not a psychiatrist, he's an internist.

May 3, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  6. Another Doc

Guess I will stick to the political blog – there is some level of maturity among those bloggers.

Seems like many of you need your own intervention from Dr. Drew: how to communicate beyond grade 3!

Good luck and keep supporting Dr. Drew to the bank....he loves you for supporting his capitalist intentions masked as psychiatry!

P.S. Rat: what can I say besides a very well suited name.

May 3, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. Cindy

Dr. Drew;
    I just wanted to say do not go crazy. I liked your show in the beginning, when I assumed that it was real. Now I know that it was scripted and fake. Too bad. You just need enjoy your family and your life, and forget about junk shows like Rehab and Sober House. What nonsense.!!!!!! Your fans are not ignorant, they know its all about the cash. Remember its only 15 minutes.

May 3, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. Rat Fink

Plus...Ace Frehley from KISS was on last Sober House!! All that Ace did, on his own dime to boot, just to help one person, Mike Starr...and this was all due to Drew hatching a plan to get Mike to continue his treatment.

Drew..just keep laffin all the way to the bank and forget about fake doctors who wish they could get you your morning coffee,... know what I mean?

Later,
    Rat

May 3, 2010 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  9. mike yates

The exploitation of grief makes you a pimp. Argue that one with me Dr. Drew.

May 3, 2010 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. arch

All this man is about is money. He has always been this way. He has his own talk show. He goes on all the morning shows. I guess he wasn't satisfied with a couple hundred thousand or more per year! Now he wants to bring these people on the show and exploit them more and more. What does it prove. Aren't people tired of seeing these losers get in front of the tube and cry or yell or run or hit or curse! That is such good tv. If anybody thinks they can learn something from this crap,then they need to get a very good shrink and quit watching these stupid reality shows! Don't pad this quacks pockets anymore! I guess he has the celeb bug from his Mom who is a retired singer and actress. Not well known, but he was bitten. He Dad was a doctor. So he is doing what both parents did. He must not be that bright. He is an assist prof at Keck school of Medicine and has been there for some time. To not advance up the ladder usually indicate a lack of interest and not that great of marks for performance. Remember this is the guy who co-starred in Loveline, which was run by MTV and some comedians! He is probably doing the tv stuff because he is not that good of a doctor in his field. He has a knack for giving opinions of what is wrong with someone over the phone without ever meeting the person. That is not good. He wanted to be in the acting arena and a singer, but they don't pay as much as a doctor so he chose what he does now. So take his suggestions with a grain of salt.

May 3, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. durkadurka

go dr drew!!!

May 2, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. drew fan

I love watching Dr. Drew in action\. He is always insightful and respectful towards all, esp. his patients. We are a country where addiction is fast becoming an epidemic. I recetnly lost my bright, creative, friend to addiction. Dr. Drew has helped me and the rest of thse watching, understand the complexities and destruction that are a part of addiction. Keep going Dr.. Drew. I'd much rather watch you than all the other reality TV shows!!!

May 2, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dr. Drew Pinsky

Hi Another Doc.

I'm Drew Pinsky.....AND YOU'R NOT!!!!!!

May 2, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. upstate-ny

Oh...forgot to add. I wish they would have a rehab reunion. Bring the recovering addicts back to show how rehab has saved or changed their lives and those who have failed at sobriety. It's interesting to see the strugges the rich and famous deal with...how they had everything , they had it all and how they have hit rock bottom. I think it would be great teaching and great encouragement to see those that have succeeded. I know how tough it was for me to quit cigarettes and how many times I tried before success. I CAN"T even imagine what it must be like to addicted to alcohol or drugs. Just a suggestion Dr. Drew.

May 2, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. upstate-ny

I just hope they keep this reality show...reality and not turn it into a sleezy reality show. I love watching Dr. Drew and show his compassion with helping those who have hit rock bottom. it appears he goes the extra mile. I just wish I had a regular doctor that cared 1/2 as much.

May 2, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Dani in AZ

to 'Another Doc'
    you are reading and commenting on an entertainment blog, so you cant really expect anyone else on here to take this seriously or to have the same education you have and calling other people on a blog 'a fool' is not really showing that you have much anyway. Also, all your responses is just to cut others down which doesn't really convince me that your a doctor at all, just a judgemental and jealous person (omg! the word jealous!). I addressed Melissa and she didn't turn around and start cutting people down, possibly because she knows this is just an entertainment blog. And shouldn't you be doing something, like helping patients since you claim to be a doctor instead of being on a gossip blog??

Happily,
    Dani

May 2, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Another Doc

To the person who wrote:

Ok, I'll admit Im a tad envious. I wish I had the celb status and the sweet,sweet money Drew has.

You should be ashamed of yourself for using my profile name and to write comments.

P.S. Learn to spell you fool!

May 2, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Another Doc

May 2, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  19. tj

i think he is great looking and a great Bod too!! Yummy!

May 2, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kate

I think Dr Pinsky is a role model and a tremendous doctor. Making public these aspects of addictive disease and being honest about all aspects of addiction is an eye opener for everyone, addicts included. I think more people than one can imagine will be helped by Drews efforts and I wish there where more people around like Dr Drew that actually cared enough to make a difference.
    Keep doing what you're doing Doc!

May 2, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jackie

Being in a treatment program with someone you know, let alone had a violent relationship with, creates a conflict of interest that distracts from, not aids, recovery. Although mending relationships might be part of a program, it's going to be a lot harder to get to that step if the person is confronted with the unnecessary drama of having their ex around while they're just trying to come to grips with their disease.

May 2, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  22. Ted Palmer

Dr. Drew is not unethicale. He uses his show celebrity rehab to show the power of addiction. The doc is just showing people in the U.S. that drugs will kill you. He wants all addicts to seek treatment. Is there something wrong with doing that?

May 2, 2010 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
  23. Diana

Dr. Drew is a good man with a huge heart. He has exploited no one. If anything he is doing a service in preventative medicine for everyone who may watch his programs. Showing the reality and the consequences of drug and alcohol abuse, he is making people aware. He should be commended for that, not damned. I hear a lot of bitterness in the comments from "doctors" above me. Please. Jealousy is a lot of the things but, it sure isn't pretty. Maybe you should take a look in the mirror friends, and when you see your reflection looking back at you, you'll realize that you're jealous nature isn't very becoming of you.

May 2, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  24. Shane

I hope Dr. Drew hires Poor Man for one of his productions.

May 1, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Kristina

I think that Dr. Drew is great!! As an addict myself (clean for 3 yrs.), I've been able to watch his shows and really connect with what his patients are dealing with. And these ppl are famous already. Putting them in the limelight isn't feeding his ego, it's putting a face on addiction. When I listen to Dr. Drew on his shows, he's not just talking to talk, he's making sense. He's speaking truth. He's helping.

May 1, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Susan

These patients know they will be exploited going in to this program/show. I have had problems myself and watching his show and listening to him has helped me. I think Dr. Drew is a wonderful, compassionate Dr. Go Dr. Drew!!!!

May 1, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mary

The other people in the "field" making derogatory comments are jealous and hyper critical. He is helping a lot of people. He may have plenty of motives, but his public persona seems to be that of a caring professional.

May 1, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Isha

I like watching the series, it's interesting.

May 1, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  29. Another Doc

To: Dani in AZ

Trust me I have no reason to feel jealous of Dr. Drew. However, since this is a serious discussion you may want to consider comments that supercede those of a third grader (like commenting I'm jealous)!

Happily,
    Another Doc

May 1, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  30. Chakaleh

I understand both sides of the argument here. I do agree that Dr. Drew has made addiction more open for discussion and understanding. However, to hear that he has own production company now makes me questions his intentions. Hearing that he has a new show called "Estranged with Dr. Drew" makes me question him putting his name on everything. I understand since Donald Trump made branding a uncommon thing, but is this ok? Who knows, at the end of it all I will probably still watch "Estranged with Dr. Drew", "16 & Pregnant Finales with Dr. Drew", "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" and "Sober House with Dr. Drew".

May 1, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  31. Robin

Regarding the Sizemore/Fleiss situation...Dealing with each other head-on is important to their recovery. Don't you think what happened between them is a significant issue that may contribute to their addiiction? This way it was voluntary and under the supervision of Dr. Drew and staff. Better to have them deal with it and try to handle it, than let it continue to feed their disease.

May 1, 2010 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  32. lauratj

What about when "patients" verbally assult the staff to no end (Mike Starr & the bratty former beauty queen carrie) Dr. Drew gives 2nd & 3rd chances.He is ok ,but his staff does most of the work. he has been around a long time,for the most part he is helpful. Also thought that Mackenzie Phillips listened better then him to patients needs-she would make a good therapist.

May 1, 2010 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
  33. Melissa

I get that the Sizemore/Fleiss situation is voluntary, but we're talking about a pair with really messed up judgement.
    I don't believe what's best for their recovery is Pinsky's top priority.

May 1, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  34. Ugh

Greed at its finest.

May 1, 2010 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  35. Dani in AZ

Melissa-its voluntary-and Another Doc sounds jealous...he still makes a killing from these patients with or without a camera.

May 1, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  36. Dani in AZ

It's good to know that they are finally having educated people be on T.V. I guess 8-10 years of school paid off.

May 1, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  37. putmycommentupCNN

Rehab and Sober life is THE PATIENTS CHOICE they have both been asked if it were a problem, and told to them that if it is a problem, that one will be place into another facility to get help. And if you watch the show, neither of them really had a problem like the others did. Dr. Drew is a Doctor, and if he thought it was going to be detrimental to their treatment then he wouln't have had them in the same facility. He saves peoples lives by helping them stay sober from their addictions-If you did any research about him he has very good success rate of helping people that came into his care stay sober after they leave. Very few people would ever had the time or patience to help addicts that nobody else cares for get through an addiction. He and many others in his profession deserve to be in the limelight.

May 1, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  38. Killian

I agree with Melissa...I don't understand how he could put former lovers – Heidi Fleiss and Tom Sizemore together in treatment and then Sober House...living in the same house – he borders on unethical and starting to be more of a "tv celebrity" than a serious dr. And you can tell he really enjoys the fame he is getting....it will all come crashing down at some point...it always seems to with others.

May 1, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  39. Melissa

I second concerns for Dr. Drew's ethics. Case in point: Heidi Fleiss and Tom Sizemore. They are two addicts who are also former lovers, who were involved in a highly publicized incident of domestic violence. Having them participating in the same close-knit recovery program and living in the same "sober house" is a stab at making provocative TV–not saving lives.

April 30, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jack

I think Dr. Drew does some real good. Not only does he help the people on the shows but he brings to light addiction and how tough it is to overcome. I have addicts in my family. I never had any respect for what they went through. After seeing Celebrity Rehab, I have more compassion for them.

April 30, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  41. AuntTEE

For me, Dr Drew has been a God send. His program caused me to take a good look at myself and to seek help. Thanks, Drew. You are making a difference.

April 30, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  42. John

I disagree. I think Drew's heart is in the right place. That doesn't mean he can't profit....all doctors do. Nothing he has said on his show faisl to ring true. He also raises awareness about addiction and hopefully prompts addicts at home to seek help.

whatever – who cares.

April 30, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Another Doc

I'm in the same discipline as Dr. Drew and I have no respect for this man. Time to review your medical ethics, Dr. Drew – you are clearly show casing vulnerable clients to promote your celebrity status and not to mention exploiting people's psychological distress to comfort your wallet.

This is emblematic of psychiatry today???? Well atleast this egotistical one.

April 30, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  44. ARH

I give Dr. Drew three years until his own marriage is over. It's obvious that he is obsessed by his own fame and self importance. He's a complete sell out and bordering on ethics violations.

April 30, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |