April 29th, 2010

Katie Holmes to portray Jackie Kennedy

testing captions
testing captions

“The Kennedys” are coming to the History Channel.

According to an announcement made by the channel, the eight-hour scripted mini-series based on the Kennedy family will star Greg Kinnear as President John F. Kennedy, Canadian actor Barry Pepper as his brother Attorney General Robert Kennedy, Tom Wilkinson as their father Ambassador Joe Kennedy, Sr., and Katie Holmes as First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy.

The mini-series, set to premiere in 2011, marks the cable network's first scripted project.

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. social exposure

It's appropriate time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I've learn this submit and if I may just I desire to counsel you some interesting issues or tips. Perhaps you could write subsequent articles regarding this article. I wish to read more issues approximately it!

September 11, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. Superhiro

Wow, look at all these professional casting agents giving their opinions on how bad the casting is. Oh wait, you're not casting agents you say? You're just CNN commentators with no frame of reference of valid opinion? 90% of the Katie haters in here are Christian weirdos who can't stand that one person might not be of their religion.

March 17, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chuck

Jackie Onasis Kennedy was a total airhead. Katie Holmes is a great actress. It is an insult to Katie's acting ability to portray such a dunce. Stand around with a bewilderd and lost look on your face – that's Jackie. Fran dreascher would be better suited for the part!

November 16, 2010 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. Chuck

Jackie Onasis Kennedy was a total airhead. Katie Holmes is a great actress. It is an insult to Katie's acting ability to patray such a dunce.

November 16, 2010 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  5. shirley

Sorry to said this i am 61year old she can't pull it off poor little thing she look like and old lady she can't act from the
    movies i have seen her in look at the way she dress her child has better taste.

July 22, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Katie

Did Tom buy her this role? Or did he just strong arm the producers to give it to her?

May 2, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. marcie

What a lot of nasty people. For a country that touts freedom of speech and religion, this is a little hypocritical, isn't it? Why would you harp on her just because of her religion? And have you pysically SEEN her at a Scientology meeting??? Are you close, personal friends of hers??? Or, are you just a bunch of sad, ignorant, classless people who chose to behave poorly because she is actually 'happy' with her life? I think she is beautiful, loves her husband, loves her children, behaves graciously and deserves what has been offered her. Furthermore, by implying that she doesn't fit the part, you must be saying that the group of producers, directors, screenwriters and the network don't know what they are doing. Perhaps you should give them a call and give them a heads up. I am sure they would appreciate the input.

May 2, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mike Stawiarski

Wow, such vemom out there for Katie, I am not a huge scientology fan, but she is a pretty gal who does have talent, Lets see what she can do with it, and take poliitcs out of this. I bet she stomachs Tom's religion at best to keep the peace, but truly doubt it is all encompassing like it is for him. I say go for it Katie....

May 2, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Diana

I would hope she would have some experience under her belt before trying this......

May 2, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. josac2000

She talks out of the side of her mouth. It's a distracting trait that makes her performances hard to watch.

May 2, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. joan

Proving once again that she is the bread winner in the family.

May 2, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. Deb

Katie, why do you insist on not smiling properly, I think your trying to be like your friend Victoria. Maybe you don't want wrinkles or something, but you have a beautiful smile. Why do you have to try to imitate that mopey faced boob?

May 2, 2010 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. Kate

This has got to be the joke of the day!!!!

May 1, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MarkPDX

Terrible choice... whoever said Anne Hathaway earlier was right. A much better option.

May 1, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. Vicki W

I used to make comments of the negative kind also then I realize that I just don't know what would be best for this part. I'm from Kansas, I don't know the stars, I don't know the producer, and most of all I was not invited to casting session. So I will except what has already been done, watch it when it comes out and go on with my life.

May 1, 2010 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  16. gisele

Katie Holmes? What a terrible choice!

May 1, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  17. c kesling

what happened to rachael waiez ?? i read she was going to do the part !!! think she would be a better choice, whats up ???

May 1, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  18. BJTheis

....The show is about the Kennedy's.... I assume her role will be a small one.... I can't quite see K.Holmes playing her.... but, I'll give her a chance and watch the show. A History Channel production..hummm.

April 30, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  19. fiona ferris

That is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Kate Winslet would be a much better choice.

April 30, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  20. Marie

WHAT? Wasn't Catherine Bell availablle? She would have made a great Jackie. Or, as others have mentioned, Anne Hathaway. Or perhaps the History Channel doesn't have the budget for stars such as these??? If not, they could have chosen Lea Michele of "Glee." Even she would have been a better choice!!!

April 30, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  21. rhonda

i hope she does some extensive research and does alot of studying tapes of Jackie Kennedy before filming starts. Jackie is an icon of american life and was a great person. She should be porttrayed as such and im not sure katie is the one to do it. but ... lets have a little faith and hopefully she will pull this off.

April 30, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  22. SD

Why?? The History channel couldn't find someone else-someone that can actually act. Holmes may be a nice lady, but portraying Jackie Kennedy-I don't think so,

April 30, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  23. Carol

Wow - can't believe how hateful these comments are. Any of you that think she can't act haven't seen her in "The Gift." She's a great actress that doesn't do enough, in my opinion. Can't wait to see her as Jackie O. Great casting.

April 30, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  24. B's Gma

Why brng her religion into this? That has nothing to do with her part. She obviously got the part because the director felt she was the best one for the job. If you have a problem with religion that is your problem. I don't agree with the beliefs and I have my own but I am sure it was the religion. They wer Catholic. Do you think they should have picked a Catholic person so it would be more fitting? Really?

April 30, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  25. Amanda

It will be interesting to see how she handles the part. Jackie O was a gorgeous woman. She also used her brain... We will see how Katie handles using her brain in 2011! I hope she hits it out of the park on this one!

April 30, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  26. Karen

Simple solution, people, don't watch...

April 30, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  27. Canadian

How much more do you Amercians need to know about the Kennedy's?

I do believe it has been written about many a times and movies also done.

Leave it alone!!!!!!

April 30, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  28. Motruth

I wonder if it will be a factual rendering, you know, based off a well researched work like "The Dark Side of Camelot" by Hersh, or just one more whitewashing of the darling clan of the lefties?

April 30, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  29. Sunnybrook

Katie Holmes as the beautiful, gracious First Lady? I don't think so!
    My heart breaks at the thought of it. And Barry Pepper as Bobby? Again . . . I don't think so! As much as I like Barry Pepper, he doesn't even come close to looking like Bobby. How about the guy that ALREADY played Bobby and did a GREAT job. He's now on Law & Order. I vote for Bruce Greenwood to be the President. You can bet I WON'T be watching.

April 30, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  30. mayday

what a pitty to destroy the wonderful memento of Jackie O. by giving this person the role; I would have expected that people in charge would have made better choice; but I mean it is not Katie`s fault that her husband is one of the leader of this sect...... but let`s see and wait – maybe the Kennedy curse will take effect here too........ BUUU HOOO!

April 30, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  31. lv

If they had to pick a TV actress, because more then likely the History Chanel could never afford the likes of Sandra Bullock, I think Jennifer Love Hewitt would have been a better choice. Katie can not act.

April 30, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  32. john

Anne Hathaway is too big a star for a miniseries... and Sandra Bullock is too old and hideous... Katie's a nut, but she looks the part... she'll do fine...

April 30, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  33. George

She is a horrible actress, but maybe they got her Cheap! Who will be playing the role of Marilyn Monroe, that what I want to know!

April 30, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  34. William of Orange

She is a terrible actress. However so is Sandra Bullock and she just won anOscar. As far as being a Scientology droid why would that disqualify her? Should she be Roman Catholic droid to play Ms. Onassis?

April 30, 2010 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  35. Shannon

It's the History Channel, guys. They wouldn't be able to afford a big name like Anne Hathaway or Sandra Bullock. I thinks it's a fair choice for what they can afford in talent.

April 30, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  36. OMDUSA

Even Barry Pepper gets a role. Really History Channel? So what role will hubby Tom play?

April 30, 2010 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  37. OMDUSA

And who will play JFK? Tom Cruise? That would be convincing - not.

April 30, 2010 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  38. lauratj

Jackie had an awful speech "problem" (lisp). I think Katie will be able to pull it off–itis a made for TV movie - relax people !!!

April 30, 2010 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  39. Angela

Katie as Jackie O on ... "Lifetime" ...? Fine. On the history channel... ? Sorry, but no...

April 30, 2010 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  40. Georgeanna Modlin

I agree that Sandra Bullock would be best for the role, but maybe Katie will do ok. Lets give it a chance before judging. I hate Scientology too but I dont see how it has anything to do with the role.

April 30, 2010 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  41. Freddie

I wonder what percentage of those who oppose will end up watching it anyway.

April 30, 2010 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  42. Cindy

Katie is cute and maybe this will be her big break into serious acting.
    As long as they don't cast Wil Ferrel as JFK, I'm fine.

April 30, 2010 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  43. Kathy Hubbell

This casting choice is an insult to the memory of Jackie Kennedy.

April 30, 2010 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  44. Jensen

REALLY? Katie Holmes? Was there no one else in the business available to take the role?

April 30, 2010 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  45. mhvisions

My first reaction....she is too tall ??

April 30, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  46. DaMama

The Kennedy's are a degenerate family. They have a long line of womanizers, alcoholics, liars, adulterers, drug addicts, egotists, you name it. Enough of this family already – we don't need some mediocre TV movie continuing to put this family on some kind of pedestal.

As for Katie Holmes, she has all the acting talent of a large mouthed bass.

April 29, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  47. echughes

I couldn't care less about her personal life, but I think she is one of the worst actors in the business right now. Ick. I'd love to watch a Kennedy biopic but can't stand to see KH on the screen.

April 29, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  48. BUNNY

She really needs to find her another job..this one is NOT for her.

April 29, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  49. OlafPalme

I don't know why people are so critical of Katie's acting skills. It takes a great deal of talent to make people believe anyone could be in love with Tom Cruise.

April 29, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Scribe

Katie's Scientology affiliation is very pertinent. A religion? Lord Xenu? Are you serious? If she's dumb enough to believe in Thetans, she's too dumb to play this dignified woman.

And what about Kinnear? He's a bland dwarf who's like white bread with all the crust cut off. A heavyweight like JFK deserves much, much better!

April 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Yobee

Having this lightweight attempt to portray Jackie Kennedy is so far the single best reason to skip this film. I'm out.

April 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Robert Johnson

It would be better to hire someone with at least a little acting talent. My cat, for example.

April 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Dani

Interesting.... but Kristen Davis would have made a much better Jackie...

April 29, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  54. ben

I agree with LA. Never a role that Meryl Streep couldn't nail.

April 29, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  55. stu

jackie o was plastic/robotic.. & so is katie=perfect casting!

April 29, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  56. joe

Why didn't they get a real actress?

April 29, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  57. LA

I like Katie Holmes but not for such a prominent role as Jackie Kennedy. I think Meryl Streep would make an awesome Jackie!

April 29, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  58. nate

Man relax people. She's an actress. And ever think that just because another actress might be a better fit she wouldn't want the gig?

April 29, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Alan

She'll have to hurry and complete those online acting courses – Good God – Courtney Love would have been a better choice.

April 29, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Ghost of Elvis

I think she'll do fine as long as she gets a good script. The part will offer the "drama" people crave.

April 29, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Christine Sivyllis

Whoever decided to cast Ms. Holmes as Mrs. Kennedy either was not alive during the Kennedy era or has no background knowledge regarding the former first lady.
    Mrs. Kennedy was my idol, and I will not watch her life and person portrayed by a mismatched actress.

April 29, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jami

Here's an idea.....get rid of your television like I did, unless of course you have nothing better to do. Just a thought..

April 29, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Alex

Hasn't the whole Kennedy thing and Jackie in particular been done already? (over and over and over again no less!) Yes, Jackie Kennedy was a smart attractive woman who was lucky enough to marry two men who gave her anything she wanted. But come on, enough already.

April 29, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Isay

Are you kidding me? Really, Katie Holmes? Wow, what a dumb decision. We should protest it!!!

@Carter sherline: it's too later after you see this series.

April 29, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Radagast

The casting decisions were terrible all the way around. The casting director oughtta be fired. This is going to be a stinker.

April 29, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Carter Sherline

I'm not particularly a fan of any of the actors mentioned for any of these parts. I am not a believer in any religion...I'm an agnostic leaning toward atheist. I am a big fan of JFK, RFK and Teddy. None of you are movie producers...neither am I (I'm a photographer). I'll reserve my judgment until after I see this series. I will say that they picked the right PR photo to use with this article though. These is something in it that does remind me of Jackie. I will point out that it was only in passing and I was 8 years old (my birthday actually, the day before Bobby was killed) I did meet Jackie, for whatever that is worth. Maybe these comments would mean more coming from people who actually knew Jackie.

April 29, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  67. hushupp

LOL sandra !

She needs intensive acting lessons. The casting directors need intensive mental therapy.

Not to be unkind, but the tragic Kennedy tale no longer needs to be told over and over again.

April 29, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Michaela

Jackie Kennedy is reported to have commented to friends that the media attention on her was "sludge" which had nothing to do with her or her life. I fear this mini-series might add to the sludge factor.

April 29, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Shana, Babylon, NY

From what I've seen in pictures and movies of Jackie Kennedy, she was very regal and patrician. I also think her movemets were awkward sometime.

Give Ms Holmes a chance – I think she will do her ingenue bit and be a pretty good Jackie.
    She can act – give her a chance to show you that!

April 29, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Donna

People, People,People...Geez...Obviously she got the part for her looks, she has the droopy eyes and the face for the part...she has a small resemblence to J-o.. or would you prefer Rosie O'Donnel??

April 29, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  71. lapper

WOW I am shocked at all the hate in these comments, would you like someone judging you like this? how unclassy and ignorant.

April 29, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  72. westlagal

Whyyyyyyyyyyy???!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH! And for 8 hours!
    Jacque Kennedy was an amazing figure. Why would they get an amateur actress like Katie Holmes to portray her!

Oh lord, why, oh, why?!! (throwing a child-like fit throwing my hands in the air and falling to the floor)

They may as well gotten one of Tiger's brunette mistresses to play the part.

April 29, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  73. MadCityBabe

.....but then, I cant type a coherent sentence to save my a$$ today.......so who am I to pi$$ on her parade?!

April 29, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  74. imsoangry

gross!
    what an awful choice to portray such an amazing woman.

April 29, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Ken

The money would be better spent having Tom play the part. Holmes has little noticeable skill as an actress.

April 29, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  76. MadCityBabe

it will be interesting.....at this time I just dont see the sophisticated aristocrat-ability that was inherent in Jackie.............but how knows

April 29, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Ben

People, quit suggesting acting lessons. How could she absorb acting lessons when she is so completely brainwashed by her psychotic, still in the closet husband?

April 29, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Kirk

This is a joke right?

April 29, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  79. karoa3

I've heard there's a movie being made about Laura Bush, supposedly Charo is playing her.

April 29, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  80. karoa3

Will she be allowed to bring her e-meter on the set? What about the aliens?

April 29, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  81. derekj

Greg Kinnear, Barry Pepper and Katie Holmes. oooh! some real thespians in this cast.

April 29, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Michael

Enough of Jackie Kennedy.

Let's see Jackie Onassis, that's more interesting, Lee, too.

April 29, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  83. joseph lowrey

hmmm. jackie-o was a stepford-wife-ish, personality-free, trophy wife. i'd say katie holmes is being type-cast.

April 29, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  84. stephanie

Sandra I agree with you – She can not act!!!

April 29, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  85. dwarfer

I have to agree with those who object to Katie Holmes on the basis of her acting ability or lack of that ability. I sincerely hope she has taken acting lessons. There are many more talented actresses who could have done this role well. I won't bother watching it to find out.

April 29, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  86. DownTownBrown

Katie Holmes as Jackie Kennedy....
    Scarlet Johannson as Courtney Love....

Something really twisted is happening in the world of film.

April 29, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Big D

Wow! Whats up with all the negative feedback?
    This chicks got great "real" boobs!
    Ever met Jackie? Not what the media gi ves you.
    Yeh! for Katie.

April 29, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Larry

Calm down folks, it's only a TV show!!! She will be fine. There are a lot of ladies that could do the job....but she will be ok. And, it is SCRIPTED.

April 29, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  89. michael

if there is lots of shopping involved in the role, she'll be great- otherwise this movie will bomb.

April 29, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  90. KCfromMaine

I'm thrilled to see Katie in this role! It's been a while since she's been on tv or in a movie. I'll definitely DVR the series. Go Katie!

April 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Wanna know

Dids hubby Tom get her this part?

April 29, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Cheryl

I don't believe she will do Jackie justice.

April 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  93. jazz

If Scientology is brain washing then so is Christianity. At least it's original in some form.

April 29, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  94. laurie1125

Katie is no Jackie

April 29, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  95. JA

She always has that same dazed look of confusion on her face. I think Tom must be drugging her before sending her out on the streets to be "candidly photographed" while shopping with her daughter. Is that all she ever does, go shopping? Lucky little Scientologist Cult Member...

April 29, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Renee

I miss the "old" Katie Holmes; it really seems like she used to be a different person when she was on Dawson's Creek, dating Chris Klein, and playing in good indie movies like "Go." She seemed real and honest, and – best of all- had a slighty aura of sweet mystery about her. Now, she and her child are everywhere, and her personality seems to have been swallowed up by those hideously baggy designer clothes. If Katie Holmes circa 2000 was lined up to play Jackie O., I would be thrilled.

April 29, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Raleigh Jim

To see a good portrayal of Jackie Kennedy-Onassis watch "Grey Gardens" on HBO. Jeanne Tripplehorn was excellent and brought a haunting quality to the role that really nailed it.

April 29, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Babylou

At least Katie wont be singing and dancing this time – we already saw that she isnt talented in that regard – but she's an accomplished actress so i will give her a chance ...

its not like this is gonna be a "must see" movie or anything – its just a tv mini movie and so what if Jackie was an iconic historical figure – she isnt the first one to be portrayed

and its not fair to blame her for being married to Tom Cruise or a scientologist which has no bearing on her acting abilities

April 29, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Lois

I think she is the perfect actress to play the part.
    I loved her in Dawson Creek and now can't wait to see her in this movie.
    Good for you Kate!

April 29, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  100. lisa

Terra, I agree with you! You go girl!! I wonder how long the leash will be between Tom and Katie while she is on location! He's such a control freak and she can't act at all.

April 29, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Patty

Katie Holmes wouldn't make a pimple on a real actors butt!

April 29, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Gail

BIG MISTAKE!!!! I idolized Jackie Kennedy and cannot imagine Katie Holmes portraying her!!

April 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Lennie

Who gives a rat's behind 'what' this girl is doing (aside from other Scientologists)? Can we now have some real news please?

April 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  104. JT

There should be a law against allowing untalented former teen soap actors portray presidents or first ladies. Katie Holmes couldn't even hold her own in a Batman movie, how is she supposed to convey the sophistication and nuance of Jackie Kennedy? What next, Britney Spears as Nancy Reagan?

April 29, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  105. sheppard

uh, Todd – speaking of being retarded....... you can disappear now...

April 29, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Carl

Well, those of you who think this is a travesty will certainly have the option to change channels. I'll reserve judgement. Jackie O had some class, and an adequate First Lady, but she was also an opportunist both with the Kennedy clan and with Onassis.

April 29, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  107. sheppard

well, connie – I would bet no one could ""tell you" anything. I certainly hope you never get blindsided by a cheating spouse – of course if you I guess none of us need empathize with you... since no one can "tell you" anything...

April 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Todd

The Kennedy's are a bunch of the inbred thugs. Camelot my a$$. The guy was a cheater, shovanist and a looked retarded. I'm sick of hearing about this family... can't wait till they all just disappear. No ONE CARES WHO WAS BORN AFTER HE WAS KILLED.

April 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  109. gmarie

Leave the poor girl alone and give her a chance.

April 29, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  110. linniesue

OMG!!! I think I just threw up in my mouth.......I revered Jackie Kennedy, I think there are at least a dozen different choices of actresses who would have done a better job! Katie will NEVER be able to portray the grace & dignity which Jackie possessed! How much did Tom pay someone for this deal?????

April 29, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Bess

You have got to be kidding.............PLEASE don't do this. Jackie O was a great lady, something that Katie is NOT. She is a CULT member. Jackie O would turn over in her grave.

April 29, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  112. joni

UGH!!! she's not a good choice!!! She can't act!

April 29, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Pstevens

Hello People its a mini series on the History Channel. This is not the first time that someone is portraying Jackie O...hmmmm lets see, Roma Downey...Remeber her turn as Jackie? Jill Hennessey did it too. Jackie O was JFK's wife, not a Saint. I fail to see what Katie Holmes religious belief has to do with anything. She is a decent actress just like the other women who have played the role. I'm thinking she (Jackie) RIP could careless who portrays her. The funny thing is...all of you Kennedy worshipers will tune in to watch.

April 29, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  114. movie maker in Hollywood

Scientology aside, (and yes people her ties to Tom Cruise and the COS Do, in fact, matter) casting her pulls the focus from the story. Should have gone with an unknown and taken a chance. It seems like the typical shortsighted choice made by producers who spend their days looking at spreadsheets and know nothing of the craft.

April 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Aztrazolo

You might as well put this movie on Oxygen or We or the Lifetime Network at this point. There just isn't anything in the world that could force me to watch anything with katie Holmes in it. Might as well have Keanu Reeves play JFK.

April 29, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  116. posting2010again

Holmes has been on her way to legendary stardom since she and Cruise got together. I recall reading over a year ago he wants people to call her Kate instead of Katie.
    Katie Holmes is a good choice for the role looks wise.
    Jackie Kennedy mystique was her naive beauty.
    Holmes has that aura as well.
    Holmes has to ace Jackie O's nuances. There is no wiggle room there.

April 29, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  117. vonvon

Kay commented that Katie has style. What? She must be kidding. Katie doesn't have much style at all. One thing I have to say about Katie is that some women need make- up to look their best and Katie Holmes is one of them. I am one of those women too but I never leave the house without a little make-up. All her tabloid pictures show her without make-up and it is not a pretty sight! Katie looks a little like Jackie but Greg Kinnear doesn't look like JFK at all.

April 29, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Daisy

Sandra Bullack would have been a better choice ,now there is an actress.

April 29, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Daisy

Well I wont bother watching it . She cant act . I think her expertice is SHOPPING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

April 29, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Barbara

Why does it matter who plays the part? The only thing Jackie ever did was marry two rich guys who cheated on her. Big deal.

April 29, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  121. nenecats Houston

Hope it's show & tell on the known affairs: Robert Kennedy and
    Bill Holden.

April 29, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Tim

I like Katie Holmes and I think she will do fine. There is too much hate going on here. You haters have the problem, not Katie Holmes

April 29, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  123. amazing mom

Wow are all of you people out of a job? You have nothing better to do but respond to this? What about the sham job our government is giving us? Better start to open your eyes and see whats going on...

April 29, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Johnlarca

Mena Suvari would be much better. Slap a brunette bouffant on and some brown contacts in and she would do great. My big concern with Katie H., beyond the featherweight presence, is her voice. She still sounds like a nasal14-year old, whereas Ms. K-O had that weird low-but-soft, patrician accent that is key to her image and personality. All one has to do is recall Katie's supposedly "revelatory" recreation of the "Come On, Get Happy" dance number last year on "So You Think You Can Dance" with the dumbed-down choreography, where her "singing" voice was soooo thin and reedy, to be concerned. Rufus Wainwright's homage was better than her's and he had a tenth the budget and support system.

April 29, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Carol

Get a life. Are you all professionals at the movie industry? Just stop and BREATHE. Get a life

April 29, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  126. CherylS

But Jackie didn't have a permanent smirk on her face and she had class. Two big differences between Jackie and Katie. Jackie must be rolling over in her grave right now.

April 29, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Melissa

What an insult to the late Mrs. Kennedy-Onassis. Katie Holmes lacks serious acting skills. Sure, she was okay 10 or so years ago on Dawson's Creek ... but she hasn't really evolved into a better actress since then. Who did Tom Cruise pay off to get her this gig. What a disappointment.

April 29, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Samantha

She's going to be playing Jackie Kennedy – an airhead – how hard could that be for anyone?!

April 29, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  129. marie

I'm surprised the History Channel would jeopardize their ratings by showing an important mini series with such bad actors. Wouldn't Sandra Bullock or perhaps Catherine Zeta Jones been a better choice. I assume it is being paid for by the Scientologists.

April 29, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Melly

I wonder who will play Aristotle Onasis who slept with Jackie after her miscarriage w/ JKF's child and had his dirty little hands in RFK's death?
    (See Peter Evans: Nemesis)

April 29, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Jenny Willingter

Jessica Lange played a great Jacqueline Kennedy in Blue Sky. Now that's an actress with great acting ability and grace.

April 29, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  132. mae

I cannot believe how cruel we have become as a society. If you read all the books on Jackie you would know she was not a saint. The affair with Bobby after JFK's death demonstrates she had her weaknesses too. It is just an acting job; nothing more. We are sad as a nation for the cruelty we inflict with words on people we do not know.

April 29, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Bill

Wrong choice to play the legendary and classy Jackie O! There are other actresses in the field that can act and portray one of our greater first ladies.

April 29, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  134. BK

Everyone's hating on Katie Holmes here. I'm not her biggest fan, but I don't really care either way if she is or isn't playing Jackie O.

I'm surprised no one's talking about who's playing JFK. Greg Kinnear? I guarantee you, he will be horrible.

I'm actually interested in seeing how the rest of the cast does–Barry Pepper, Tom Wilkinson, as well as Katie Holmes.

The unfortunate thing about Kinnear is that he never goes very deep. You can almost always see him "acting." So I'm sure he'll get the Kennedy accent and some surface mannerisms, but he will not move us or truly make us believe that he is Jack Kennedy. I'm very disappointed. They could have and should have cast someone as President Kennedy...

April 29, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Worf's Baby Mama

Forget about her being a drone–I mean Scientologist, she is not that great of an actress. But then again, this is a History Channel production and not a major Hollywood picture.

Some are suggesting Sandra Bullock, but I cannot see her as Jackie O. either, although Bullock is a far better actress than Holmes. The casting agents might have been better going with an unknown. Proper Americans don't want to see the *image* of Jackie O. linked with an actress's peculiarities, although the two should have nothing to do with one another. It's just the way things are. People are funny like that.

April 29, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  136. drew

Give me a break. Katie Holmes is a good actress, nevermind scientology nonsense. I dont see anyone saying "Well Greg Kinnear is a (christian, catholic, etc) so this will be garbage." Its their job, it has nothing to do with their religious backgrounds.

Also, Sandra Bullock is about as talented as plywood.

April 29, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  137. OOnobodyOO

Personally, I think Penelope Cruz would have been a wonderful fit... speak of poise, talent, beauty.....it doesnt matter that it is a television series... this is about a much respected and loved family. The Kennedys...and a much respected and loved female icon....Jacqueline Kennedy.....very sad.

April 29, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  138. M76

I'd rather see someone with actual acting ability play Jackie O. It looks like Tom Cruise's ego has rubbed off on Katie. She was the worst thing about Batman Begins (an otherwise great film) and I bet she'll be the worst thing about this project.

April 29, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Bigbill327

What a joke...

April 29, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Ballz

i'd hit it

April 29, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Anita Hayes

Jackie was ugly and so is Katie.

April 29, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Fred

To quote John MacEnroe, "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS !!".

April 29, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  143. maxine

good call! I think she can pull it off.
    (at least they did not get Michelle Obama for the role!!!)

April 29, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  144. danalee

For those of us who were around to see the real First Lady and to see her grace and class this is a real dishonor to her.. I would rather see no movies about the Kennedy family than to see this woman who will look like cheesecloth dressed as silk.

April 29, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Meow

The Lord Xenu is displeased at this turn of events. He is sending an armada of commuter jetliners across the galaxy to stop this production using nuclear volcanos before it can make it to TV.

Katie Holmes AND Berry Pepper? It'll be veritable Theton-themed Theatrics in this miniseries. Will it feature a photo of Ronny Hubbard as Nixon?

April 29, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  146. kim b

She might be cute but can't act and there are far better actresses that deserve this role

April 29, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Emilee

I think she will be great and is a perfect choice for the part!

April 29, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  148. nenecats Houston

Great resemblence in looks between Mariska Hargitay and Jackie O.
    Don't know anything about film or what age range but Mariska is
    beautiful and can certainly act. She's my choice.

April 29, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Frank

The History Channel is going to attempt to re-write history for the sake of the hard right-wing owners of the channel who HATE the Kennedy's. The actors should know this before they sign on.

April 29, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  150. RobV

Well, true she can't act, but this is not really a serious Hollywood blockbuster. Its just the History channel. That proves right there she isn't the high caliber type of actress to pull off the more serious jobs that Hollywood has to offer. How many people you think would really be watching the History channel for movie night anyway?

April 29, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  151. DJ

Jeanne Tripplehorn go nominated for an emmy for playing Jackie in Grey Gardens, she should reprise the role.

April 29, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  152. John

Not sure which direction this mini series will go, but what about other significant members of the family and/or administration? James Cromwell as LBJ (hasn't he already done that), Brian Dennehy as Ted Kennedy, Matthew McConahay (spelling is wrong I know) as Governor Connally if they go that route. Just some personal thoughts as to casting...

April 29, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  153. laura

OMG, you guys are crazy.
    Scientology is a religion, and all religion's are cults, and what the hell does that have to do with Katie Holmes playing Jackie O? BTW... Katie is Catholic. She's also beautiful, intellegent, poised, and talented. Ya'll are pathetic losers - take a look in the mirror and get a grip on reality.

April 29, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  154. cm

Great cast except Katie Holmes... she can't act!!

April 29, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Mr. Speed

qlee...

Oh my gosh!!!

Tom Cruise is into Scientology???
    John Travolta too???

Who'da thunk it!!!

You must not watch anything other than home movies then because ALOT of actors in Hollweird follow that mess and drink the kool aid too.

April 29, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  156. E

Why on earth would anyone pick Katie Holmes to play Jacqueline Kennedy? She can't act! Why not pick a true actress? My mind's gone blank of original ideas, but people threw out Anne Hathaway and Sandra Bullock as perfect examples that could easily play Jacqueline Kennedy. Easily. The rest of the show has some very good actors (Kinnear, Pepper, Wilkinson), but Holmes? My cat would do a better job!

April 29, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Jen

BTW Jane nailed it on the talking out of the side of the mouth.

April 29, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  158. jega5547

I say we get Joan Rivers to play Jacqueline Kennedy.........I know, it is ridiculous.......but, then again, so is Katie Holmes playing the part!

April 29, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Marie

Neither Sandra Bullock, Kristin Davis nor Anne Hathaway could have portrayed Jackie Kennedy Onassis; they are all so very overpowering personalities. And I truly love Sandra Bullock (not so much the other two). As soon as I read that Katie Holmes was cast for the part it made a lot of sense, she is as graceful, demure, and soft spoken as Ms. Kennedy was and just as beautiful. I believe she will do very well in the part. After all readers it is her profession to be an actress and I have faith she will do well. Break a leg Katie Holmes!

April 29, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Jamie

I think the directors and the people in charge of this mini-series are on some serious drugs. This woman cannot act and I think it is a shame that she will be portraying such a wonderful woman. She is going to botch the attempt and disgrace the memory of this historic and influential lady. I definitely would have watched this show, but with Holmes in it I am not so sure.

April 29, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  161. brax

That should have read: "Over exposed fluff."

Maybe they couldn't afford a real actress.

Seriously, due to the bad press and bad public image they have cultivated over the past few years, the Cruises (and their camp) have been trying to revive their images by making sure they are cast as heroes (Cruise in Valkyrie) and well-loved people of strength, intelligence and integrity (now Holmes as Jackie Kennedy).

Cruise is not a hero and Holmes is not Jackie Kennedy.

April 29, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Thundersnow

You are all(mostly) right. It IS Show Biz,she can't act,it is a stupid idea,and Sandra Bullock would be wonderful.But,do you realize what Sandra Bullock would cost them? I mean, what do you expect of the History Channel? Quality? The chance to equal Elizabeth R or other BBC iconic historical series? Why pay for and serve cavier when they will drool over cotton candy?

April 29, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Jen

I'm glad to see that so many people recognize her lack of talent. Faith in the masses restored. Sorry but she's only famous bc of Tom Cruise and the one scene in The Gift. I guess that's enough to get you the status of "professional actress."

April 29, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  164. kit64

Good casting. I think she will do great!

April 29, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  165. roni1959

Stop slamming her. She is a good actress. Give her a chance

April 29, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  166. justme

Jeanne, the answer is no, the Kennedy's weren't into Scientology, but then again, they weren't into Catholicism, either.

April 29, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  167. incredibletulks

one can only hope

April 29, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Kim

It's only a miniseries on the history channel. It's not a compliment to Katie's acting abilities that she's downgrading from blockbuster movies like Batman to the history channel.

There is no way they could get an A list actress like Sandra Bullock....the woman just won an Oscar.

April 29, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  169. homer

Put Pamela Anderson in it too...Holmes can't act ...

April 29, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  170. qlee

If Katie Holmes is in it then it is one show I WON'T watch. I refuse to watch anything with Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes, John Travolta, Kirstie Alley, Will Smith or Jada Pinkett-Smith. They all lean toward Scientology and it is a very scary cult that is intent on infiltrating all walks of life.

April 29, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Geets Romo

What next? Britney Spears plays Golda Meir?

April 29, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Kerry

How about Claire Forlani? At least she has the eyebrows!

April 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Lisa

I agree with the majority of the comments above. She CAN NOT act. As for style? Who would not dress nice if they could afford anything –with no limits and have someone pick their clothes, match them, dress them, do their hair and makeup, ect...

April 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  174. brax

Only Hollywood would hire a ridiculous piece of over -fluff to portray (or at least try to- terrible actress!) an amazing, beautiful, strong woman.

Fortunately, the legend and legacy of Jackie Kennedy will always prevail against such nonsense.

April 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  175. tehheh

She's too different looking from Jackie Kennedy. I'm pretty sure she's much taller than Greg Kinnear. She could probably do the acting OK and look good doing it. She has a sense of fashion and style now that she has grown up (and can spend Tom Cruise's money on the best of everything). There are just many actresses who are shorter and more closely resemble Mrs. Kennedy. Part of casting is to not cast people who would over-distract from the story being told. Some of the people against it just hate her husband because of his oddness. Guess what? Actors are odd. Get over it!

April 29, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  176. Jules

What an insult to Jackie Kennedy. Couldn't Hollywood have found a better actor for this role? Katie Holmes is an awful actress with her squeaky voice. Overall, I enjoyed the movie Batman Returns, but she ruined the movie whenever her scenes came up.

April 29, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  177. Billieboy

Good choice, I like her, and I think she will do a great job

April 29, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  178. Jaime A

The Scientologists are laughing all the way to the bank!

April 29, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Myron

This is the dumbest casting decision I have ever seen. Holmes can't act and is not attractive. She has a fang. What's next her sham of a husband playing MacBeth??

April 29, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  180. floydrturbo

why can't Scientologist believe in killing themselves? man, that would fix so many issues

April 29, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Carol

Don't underestimate her. She does very good work, and looks the part too. She's a cutie, sure, but talented. Why are they mutually exclusive.

April 29, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Liz Breier

This will be as bad as her husband playing "Lestat" in Interview with a vampire.

April 29, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Zach

COME ONNN. You've got to be kidding me. Katie Holmes?!? And Greg Kinnear as JFK?? He's a great actor, but come on. Very dissapointed.

April 29, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  184. mb

now there's a stretch!

April 29, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Maestro

Katie Holmes is MUCH, MUCH better looking than Sandra Bullock. I think she'll do a great job playing Jackie. Good luck Katie.

April 29, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Tee

...And I bet none of you have seen her on Broadway lately. I'm sure she landed the part of her own merit instead of who her husband is. Sometimes I wonder if it's just easier that most of you people are haters and find it easier to think people don't earn things, stuff is just given to them–or maybe it helps you in your own life to excuse non accomplishment.

April 29, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  187. kate green

You're kidding right– what a slap in the face to all real actresses. Note now that this will not be worth watching.

April 29, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  188. Lee

How many of you Cynical Jerks can say you have run in the New York Marathon. That is one of her many accomplishments. Katie Holmes will do a fine Job at this. What do you expect the cable channel to do, clone Mrs. Kennedy so the actor can be exactly alike and esteemed? It is television. try to enjoy it. That is what it is for. You are a bunch of stupid jealous haters..

April 29, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  189. sab

I think some are being much to hard on Katie Holmes.... Katie can acted when she wants to and has a roll that has some substance. Besides, the other actors selected are extremely strong and talented....she will pick up on that and it will help her. I look forward to seeing her.

April 29, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  190. Houston

This is perfect for Katie!

April 29, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  191. anet

first of all, this is a made for TV movie by the history channel which is a new brand. I am sure they can't afford a top A-lister in Hollywood, nor do i think they would agree to the film, with better, more lucrative offers out there. if this was a movie being produced in hollywood, i doubt that katie would be in the running.
    second, they have a decent casting of B-rate actors opposite katie (yes, i think she is a solid B-rate actress), ie: greg kinnear. he has been in many films, and i love his timing and boyish grin. i think the two playing opposite one another will be good chemistry.
    third, she has not been in any GREAT, must see, box office draws, oscar nominated roles. she is perfect for a TV movie. it will definitely draw me into watching the mini-series on the history channel. her name is big enough, gossipy enough to draw the crowds for the show, and i know not to expect an oscar winning performance.
    plus, lets not forget she could get a golden globe, as could kinnear, if they prove themselves worthy. lets not forget paul giamatti and laura linney for "John Adams." This could be her chance to set the record straight. i am not a fan of hers, but i think she has waited a long time to find the right roles for her and if this is one that she signed off on, then it's got my attention.
    best of luck.

April 29, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  192. Porchiaknows

LMAO. She resembles Jackie O 0%.
    Hollywood is taking a nosedive.

April 29, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  193. elsie

Ugh, terrible, no-depth casting. She can't act her way out of a paper bag! She's using the power that comes from being Mrs. Tom Cruise to get parts – the last major role she had was in a film she bought.

'The Romantics' was already cast and underway and she bought it out, fired Liv Tyler from the leading female role and took the part herself. And that was just a run-of-the-mill rom-com. What sort of maneuvers did it take for her to wind up as the magnificent Jackie O.?

April 29, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  194. docvoltage

She was the second choice. John Travolta looked too fat in a dress.

April 29, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  195. OMG

Not the best choice for this role – I know the HC might not have a great deal of money, but certainly someone more professionally mature would take a cut in pay for the honor of the role....I don't dislke Katie at all..though her husband is not my choice of anything really – he and Brad Pitt could be a couple, but back to the original situation – hope HC reads this and re-thinks...now, it's not something i would watch due to role choice.....

April 29, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  196. J.J.

Katie Holmes to play Jackie O? Seriously?

April 29, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  197. jane

Typical – casting a "name" for a role instead of an actress that fits the part.. A true waste of a potentially great series. Don't they know that Jackie Kennedy didn't talk out the side of her mouth?

April 29, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  198. val

It will be good to see her on screen again instead of hiding!

April 29, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  199. FRAN

OMG, I can not believe this one, Katie Holmes to play the great Jackie Kennedy. Has the television industry completely lost their minds. This is going to be a huge slap in the face to the Kennedy family. Jackie Kennedy was a classy woman, with great wit and understanding. How can anyone allow this to happen. If anyone was going to play her and due her justice it would be the one and only Sandra Bullock. This will be one mini series that I will not be watching and hope no one else wastes their time watching it.

April 29, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  200. K Jay

Katie is definately not the fit for this amazing project. You do need someone with style, class, and intellegence. It would take tooooo long a time of trying to teach her, for her to even scratch the surface of class, and grace that Ms. Kennedy sustained. Someone that might have a shot sould be Jullianna Margulies.

April 29, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  201. sara

Rachel Wiesz would portray a great Jackie.

April 29, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  202. Arliss Morse

Mariska Hargitay not only looks like Mrs. Kennedy, but has the same aura of mystery in her face. It's too bad the producers/director of this mini-series didn't spend more time casting Mrs. Kennedy's part. She had such beauty, grace, and classic beauty.

Toby Kent

April 29, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  203. stop being mean!

Seriously people – come on here – Katie Holmes holds a different belief system than you – so what? She hasn't won an Oscar – so what? Clearly the individuals in charge of this movie believe she can pull off the role. So simmer down already! In any event, this movie can't be worse than the Kennedy family portrayals in Thirteen Days. I've never heard more atrocious fake accents in my life!!

April 29, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  204. Elizabeth

She is a wonderful actress. I loved her in Pieces of April. Too bad she's getting such a bad rap for being married to Tom Cruise and practicing Scientology. It's not fair at all.

April 29, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  205. Isha

SUCH CRITICISM.

April 29, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  206. Maui

I agree with Robin. You may not like her as an actress (and I use the term loosely), but don't bring her religion into it. If the producers think she fits the part (even though apparently few others agree), then she should be given the part, based on that...not on what her religious beliefs are. But I agree that there are plenty of other VERY capable actresses for this part.

April 29, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  207. David

Why, Sandra? Was Jackie Kennedy an actress?

April 29, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  208. Jen

Absolute disgrace. You don't just go from Dawson's Creek to portraying one of the most iconic women to ever have lived in our country. I only have to assume that an A-list talented actress was too expensive for a cable miniseries. I agree that Sandra Bullock would have been the best choice, but I'm sure she commands way more $$ (deservedly) than Holmes. They would have been better off finding a talented unknown. Epic Fail History Channel.

April 29, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  209. jes

u underestimate joey...she looks the part and will be the part

April 29, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  210. kate

You have got to be kidding me? How much did that cost Tom? This goof can't act her way out of a paper bag. I won't watch it because she's in it!

April 29, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  211. Moreaces

Well,,, If one must say something nice, she looks somewhat the part.

April 29, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  212. kathleen

thank god Jackie had a sense of humour-I'm sure she's getting a chuckle out of the ridiculousness of it all, whereever she is.

April 29, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  213. carol

This is a joke, right. Katie Holmes is not an actor. She is Tom Cruise's little robot. Get a real actor to play Jacquline Kennedy not Cruise's robot.

April 29, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  214. Andrea

She seems like a very sweet person, but do not feel she can pull off this part...why would they pick her to act alongside with such a great actor as Greg Kenear? She has not done anything to deserve an award or acting recognition- not even close to the same level as Greg...this seems fishy- like she got the part because of reasons other than her acting ability- Do you think Tom Cruise had something to do with it?

April 29, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  215. Bob

Barry Pepper is in this? From Battlefield Earth? The Scientology jibberish sci fi disaster. hmmm. Thats interesting.
    Is John Travolta producing?

This role needs someone of Kate Winslets acting caliber. Sorry Katie, powting on Dawsons Creek doesnt qualify.

April 29, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  216. pat Field

WHAT AN INSULT TO THE FIRST LADY...and HER LIVING RELATIONS.

YOU MUST BE KIDDING – IT IS THE WORST CHOICE EVER.

ONE OF THE GREATEST WOMEN OF OUR TIME TO BE
    PLAYED BY A KID WITH A CRUSH ON A STUPID PRETTY BOY.

IT IS TERRRIBLY UNFORTUNATE. NO TASTE WHATS SO EVER

April 29, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  217. Linzy Miller

Well, I have never seen her act but seems to me the Jackie part should be played by a beautiful sophisticated woman, not a pretty little girl.

April 29, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  218. Karen

The History Channel probably doesn't have the budget to get a "bigger star". I'm happy for Katie she's getting out of the house; hopefully, her controlling husband will stay away from the filming.

April 29, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  219. jollyjill

I agree 101% Sandra Bullock should be the choice. Nothing to do with her problems where love is flowing around her; just a simple fact in my opinion she is the better choice. Julia Roberts would be a better choice than Katie Holmes. Jackie O was too classy lady to use Katie as her.

April 29, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  220. Rolando

I would have preferred Jeff Foxworthy in a wig ( I could be persuaded to even support the moustache) rather than Katie Holmes.

Katie Holmes isn't fit to slip her fat ass into Anne Hathaway's G string

April 29, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  221. kailey

This is a mini-series. Why would they choose an Oscar winner like Sandra Bullock to play the part of Jackie Kennedy? It is true that Sandra Bullock would play the role very well, but it makes sense to have an actress like Katie Holmes play the part in a mini-series. She has never had any large roles. I think Katie will do an excellent job. Scientology has nothing to do with any of this either. Why would it?

April 29, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  222. miama99

well that certainly causes me to lose all interest.

April 29, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  223. concorde 107

This is mini series is going to be a hatchet job on JFK and about his female friends. And should not be on the history channel.

April 29, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  224. Gwen

Good Lord, what a boo, boo. Have never seen Katie act but anyone who would let her 3 year old kid wear gold high heels has got to be lacking in the brain department and you have to be smart to act. She is just like Tom's robot and the cult she belongs too.

Sorry, but don't think she deserves or fits the role of the President's lady.

April 29, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  225. Bob

At least its not Maggie Gillyhall. Forgot spelling, sue me.

Wow what did Tom pay these guys to push her into this role?

April 29, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  226. Brittany

I think Katie is ideal for this part. She is not a bad actress by any means. I just don't think she has chosen her projects carefully in the past. This is the one where she will show you all what kind of acting chops she has...and I highly doubt the miniseries is going to be a flop because of the cast. When it comes right down to it, most people like Katie Holmes. I mean...she was America's sweetheart for a while...and what was Jackie? It makes sense.

April 29, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  227. Chris

As one of the most distinguished and celebrated families in American history, this is a sad day for the Kennedys. Rest of the casting is brilliant, they just missed a major piece to actually represent their legacy and story how it should be told.

April 29, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  228. BUNGOMUNGO

I'd giver her a role to play!

April 29, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  229. sherri

I absolutely agree that someone else should play the part....but I have to say, she was good in....oh wait, that was someone else. No, really, she was good in "Pieces of April" Still, Anne Hathaway or Sandra Bullock (though she's too old to play a younger Jackie...Jackie was only 35 when she was in the white house)

April 29, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  230. John

She's from my hometown and even I'm embarrassed!

April 29, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  231. LEE

She could be made up to look like Jackie. Jackie's voice, to me, always had that little girl sound. Very quiet and very little girl. Katie could pull that off.

April 29, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  232. Mr. Speed

What???
    Valerie Bertinelli wasn't available???
    I thought she did ALL of the made for tv movies.

April 29, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  233. ho train

She's not a fine actress, she's a fine ass

April 29, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  234. Milgrams37

Will you just look at all these acting professionals making their judgements on the choice of actress??? lol

April 29, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  235. Kevin

This must be a joke. Mrs. Onassis was an iconic figure in american history. And they have chosen that no talent goof ball to play her ?
    If we are lucky they will begin the movie at the characters age of 64. That's the age Mrs. Onassis was when she passed away. That way Katy can walk on the set and then directly off.
    We are sorry Jackie, you deserved better than this.

April 29, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  236. lb3

All the preparation, practice, rehearsal in the world cannot mask lack of talent.

April 29, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  237. Mike

Can't believe all the nastiness on these blogs – what does Scientology have to do with it?! – She's a fine actress; seems like a good bit of casting to me.

April 29, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  238. Sarah

Kristin Davis would be sooooo much better

April 29, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  239. Carol

I actually think al the casting is brilliant – Greg Kinear, Barry Pepper and Katie Holmes. If you stop and think about it for a minute, it makes sense. Katie is not a well known actress like Sandra Bullock who could overshadow the role., plus this is television so doubt big name actresses would be interesed. I think she'll do well. I highly doubt religion played any part in casting. Katie has the languid graceJackie O. had.

April 29, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  240. DWFC

I adore the Kennedy's for their long-standing dedication to public service. I'm dissapointed that much effort wasn't exerted into selecting someone with incredible talent to portray the likeness of Jackie Kennedy.

April 29, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  241. lollipop

She's a shoe in for a razzie

April 29, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  242. Rebecca

I have to say, I agree that Sandra Bullock would have been a way better choice/fit for this role. This girl doesn't even look mature enough to fit. Her characters are all acted the same way (just like Cruise) her expressions are all the same, I just cannot see how she was given this role. To each his own I guess. Maybe she'll surprise us.

April 29, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  243. Glenn

Scientology has more power in Hollywood unfortunately than people want to give credit. She can't even get a major movie role and she is Tom Cruise's wife. Greg Kinnear is dwarf-like and is not like a Kennedy and reminds me of 'Talk Soup' no matter what I see him in. Who casted this mess? Someone on drugs or someone who knows Tom Cruise?

April 29, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  244. KindaBlue

If you keep her lines to a minimum and have long takes of her looking somber, she'll be great. Otherwise BOOOOOOOOOOO! She's as stiff as a board.

April 29, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  245. Jay

Unless she is playing Jackie's stunt double this may be a little bit of a stretch role. She can act, just without any talent, skill, delivery, or quality. This isn't hatin, it's just the truth. She's hot, so she has that going for her. She should play to her strengths and take her clothes off to distract the viewers.

April 29, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  246. Dee

I think she will do fine. I look forward to it. Jackie Kennedy was an icon and I think Katie Holmes will think about this fact when she prepares for the part and portrays Mrs. Kennedy.

April 29, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  247. Elle

My first reaction is "What a horrible mis-cast!", but that's Hollywood, right? Let's hope that she'll rise to the challenge ...

April 29, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  248. jeanne

where the kennedys into scientology? is the single bullet theory the same as toms theory that he's not gay? wasn't kate gosslin available for this part? the history channel is now TLC asnd TMZ combined....

April 29, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  249. Andrew

Terrible actress... terrible casting... probably going to cause the show to be a failure.

April 29, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  250. Jessy CA

An actor or an actress just has to draw pictures of the scene in the mind and think where and how they should do in each picture scene. If they only stop their mind on words or on simply reading the book, their acting must be boring and leading to failure. If when they read the book they can put the words into a vivid picture and put themselves in the scene and deeply and accurately perceive the role, they will do a goog acting job. We should not jump to a conclusion before she even starts to act or limit our expectation into a frame before she even starts.

April 29, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  251. Black Swizz

She can't quietly, without disturbing the fetus, act her way out of a wet paper bag

April 29, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  252. Linda

You have got to be kidding. Did Tom Cruise pay someone to get his wife a job. Mrs. Kennedy deserves someone better. What an insult.

April 29, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  253. Rosemary

I agree with the sentiment thus far. The choice of Katie Holmes is a complete insult to Jackie Kennedy. Jackie Kennedy was so poised, graceful, intelligent and impactful on the world. Katie Holmes is none of that.

Come on history channel...are you kidding?? (let's hope).

April 29, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  254. Confused

Wil Katie drop out like she dropped out of The Dark Knight?

April 29, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  255. Susan

Give the kid a break–she's still young. I recently saw her in 'The Gift' and thought she did a very good job (didn't like the character she played, but that just proves she did a good acting job).

April 29, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  256. terrix2000

Simply, the woman can't act and to play someone like Jackie O is obsurd. Pick someone who can act!

April 29, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  257. scribe3s

What is America's fascination with this woman? Is it because she's married to Tom Cruise? She's got the blank stare of a cult member – coincidence? I think not! Oh, by the way, she sure can't act worthy of anything beyond an episode of the Teletubbies!

April 29, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  258. dejah_thoris

Her cult (it's not a religion) does matter when it comes to portraying someone who had more brains and elegance in her pinkie than katie the droid will ever have. I have to assume that the S's got her the job, maybe Tom pulled a few strings. There's NO way this woman can act the part. I've seen her act - and the lack of ability plus the pull of the S's are what got her where she is.

April 29, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  259. fukyall

what a bunch of a holes all the readers are. katie is gorgeous and a sweetheart. good for her, this is a chance for her to be her, not mrs. tom cruise. screw all the negative comments from all of you. prove these a holes worng katie!!!

April 29, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  260. Jeff Gross

I hope in the mini series she gets shot

April 29, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  261. Pam

I agree Sandra Bullock would have been a great choice BUT let's wait until we see it to be such critics.....THEN we can judge .....be nice people...LIFES to damn short to be so unkind

April 29, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  262. Trey

OMG!!! She can not act, they did not even want her back for the Dark Knight. Show biz has a bigger pool out there.

April 29, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  263. William

I think they should have recruited Paris Hilton for the job.

April 29, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  264. nora beth

what an insult to a great first lady!

April 29, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  265. Cavemanstyle

I'd rather see her do an adult film... :)

April 29, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  266. Dustin

Maybe if Tom will let her out of the dungeon...

April 29, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  267. terra

Will Tom let her out of the house to work?

April 29, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  268. Tyler

Will Tom Cruise be playing Ari Onassis? Similar age difference . . .

April 29, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  269. Tony

If you are given to pull other people down, don't be surprised if you have nothing yourself.

April 29, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  270. milesj1234

i assume they were going for looks alone...

April 29, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  271. FanOne

This is the History Channel. Probably can't afford Sandra Bullock or Anne Hathaway. Its a made for tv movie...Katie will be fine.

April 29, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • viewer

Oh yea baby give to me big time, like we the American public are going to go against the History channel over you.

Stop and listen, it is not nice to whine.

March 17, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  272. Kay

She can't act. However, she does have style, so it makes some sense why they chose her.

April 29, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  273. Mindy

Is Suri going to play Caroline? She's what, four? She's old enough for a dye job...she'll have to get used to the mary janes over her usual high heels, though.

April 29, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  274. connie

How perfect, I think she will do great...she's got the elegance and grace and is a good fit for this series, what does her religion have to do with her job. Shame on you..so ignorant. And Mrs. O was not perfect as non of us are, she fell for the nonsense of her husband carrying on with other women, and you can't tell me she did not know, she just had the grace to keep it between them..she would probably be glad she'll be portrayed by Ms. Holmes.

April 29, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  275. Robin

What the heck is wrong with you people? Since when does religion matter at all when we're talking about *acting*?

Personal attacks are ugly, and they say more about the person levelling them than about those whom they target.

April 29, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • viewer

Robin you are manager material, and you are blessed with making good things happen around you.

March 17, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  276. Wendy

Not a good choice! There are many who are a lot more talented! Too bad!!!!!

April 29, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  277. Cathy

Interesting choice for the part. I've never been impressed with Ms. Holmes. I'm not sure that her belief system got her the role – I could be wrong. Acting lessons might help.

April 29, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  278. Demettri

I hope they are kidding. I don't dislike Katie Holmes, but there are more talented actresses like Anne Hathaway who would do a much better job.

April 29, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • viewer

Some women are so hateful towards pretty women because they believe being hateful is smart!

March 17, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  279. Nicholas

I think Jackie deserves substantially more credit to her memory than this.

April 29, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  280. Tee

Two words

Sandra Bullock

April 29, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  281. Amy

Such critics – I think she will do a wonderful job – she is a professional actress.......it's a job!

April 29, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  282. mctown

Lighten up, you guys!! This is show biz!

April 29, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  283. Desi

OMG!

April 29, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  284. mike

You have got to be kidding, she is playing a historical figure, an icon?

SHE CAN'T ACT!!

April 29, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • viewer

Nothing wrong with being a man of two spirits. However, are you saying ugly things about Katie for your self or for you fat blubber "girlfriend."

March 17, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  285. lIllII

Will Tom Cruise jump on the back of the limo in the mini-series and continually scream, "I love her, I love her, I love her?"

April 29, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  286. dejah_thoris

What a slap in the face of Mrs. Kennedy Onassis's memory. Katie Holmes is a brainwashed Scientology droid and I'm sure that the S cult played some role in getting her the part. She never would have gotten on her own.

Mrs. O was an intelligent, thoughtful woman who never would have fallen for such nonsense. Yes, I realize the actress is playing a character, but why hand Scientology such a propaganda tool to hook themselves onto?

There are far better actresses who could play this part and do it better and with grace and elegance.

April 29, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  287. Sandra

Will she be taking intensive acting lessons until then?

April 29, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • viewer

Katie Holmes is a great actor, however, women will want to claw her because she is stunning to watch.

March 17, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • guigue

no acting lessons would help/ her playing jackie is an insut to jackie's memory

August 26, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |