April 28th, 2010

TV recap: Old school 'Parenthood'

It seems like last night’s theme was revisiting the past.  Kristina’s thinking about going back to work, Adam breaks out some old school dance moves and Crosby and Jasmine hit the reset button on their relationship.

Crosby is spending time with Jasmine and their son.  I suppose now that she’s gotten the pesky “Hey, guess what, you’ve got a son I didn’t tell you about, I kept you from him for five years and I alienated you from my family in the process” business behind them, everything is cool.  Crosby decides he wants to get to know her better and asks her on a date.  There’s a bonding scene with Jasmine, Crosby and Jabbar that in my opinion would have been much cuter had it not taken place in the bathroom.  (So glad there were no sound effects!) But they are bonding.  And Crosby and Jasmine do some overnight bonding of their own.

Drew finally gets a little something to do in an episode.  He’s crushing on a classmate and he’s planning to go to a school dance. Drew goes to good old Uncle Adam looking for dance lessons, and finds a few problems.

Problem one, Adam references “Saturday Night Fever.”  Problem two, he turns on old school Run-DMC (“It’s Tricky”) Drew was looking for slow dancing tips and he got some kind of Elaine from “Seinfeld”-Erkel- Electric Boogaloo mash up.

Later Adam tells him the moves are in the Braverman genes.  Drew says that’s what he’s worried about... as well he should be.

After some girl/mom talk about dealing with daughters who lie, who might be getting too close to boyfriends and who isn’t interested in college, Kristina kicks off the group line of the night:

Kristina: “You know what the problem is for mothers?” Sarah: “Daughters” Julia: “Amen.”

Kristina gets a call from a former colleague who’s running for lieutenant governor.  She needs Kristina’s help with the campaign.  Adam and Kristina decide she should do it, even though she’s worried about how Max and Haddie will do without her for three days.  It’s hard to tell which might be tougher for her, dealing with mom-guilt or condensing down a position paper into a tweet.

She seems to pick up where she left off when staffers are trying to get an endorsement.  She knows the assemblyman’s history, and tells him while competitors are tweeting about a problem, her candidate has an action plan.

That plan works for Kristina, too, because she gets a full time job offer.  Adam is supportive of her taking it, but when he starts talking about making arrangements to get things handled when she goes back to work, something happens.  Actress Monica Potter’s face goes from happiness and anticipation through some combination of panic and disappointment and guilt in all of 10 seconds.  Kristina says she can’t take the job because her kids need her.  But when Adam asks how her meeting went, she gets animated and happy again.  You see how much she loves her work.  I hope she can figure out how to do it.

What do you think?  Is Kristina making the right decision for her family, or is she sacrificing too much?  Let us know what you think!

1. Kimberly

Thank you for some intelligent programming for a change! My husband and I, parents of two teenaged daughters, are big fans of this show. I love that it's set in Berkeley (ok, I'm biased because I'm an alum) but it gives the show a very believable, interesting setting. The characters have depth and deal with real life issues, and the actors are really talented. I wish the set decorator would come and decorate my house. I absolutely love this show!

April 28, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bubba

It's a pretty good show except the one daughter, Hattie I think, is supposed to be 15 and looks 30. Otherwise, great cast.

April 28, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kim

Before I had a teenage daughter, I would have sneered at Haleigh (sp) getting away with telling her dad no, leaving the house without permission, etc. Now I look and say, yep, that's my life.

April 28, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jim

Great show. I hope it stays on the air forever.

April 28, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Patti

Love, love, love this show. It has really evolved in the short time it's been on the air. Jason Katims is a genius!
    Yes, she should take the job. I've worked for the past 13 years, since my youngest was in first grade. The comment from Kristina that her kids need her- All kids need their moms. My kids needed me but I found a way to make it work. They grew up to be independent free thinkers who still need me but can rely on themselves too. My daughter just recently said that how she grew up prepared her for college so much better than her friends who had a mom at home. Kristina's character will hopefully realize that she is important too.

April 28, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. amj

Kristina should take the job, it obviously made her really happy and allowed her to be excited about life again not just intimidated by it. The dance scene was hysterical. I really love this show. They managed to keep the things that made the movie so endearing while changing it enough to make it interesting long term.

April 28, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jess

I LOVE this show! Keep em coming!

April 28, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. qbananita

Monica Potter is a revelation, producing riveting moment after riveting moment. She totally nailed the tug-of-war that so many moms feel between their families and the world at large. I LOVED that the family bonding scene with Crosby, Jasmine and Jabbar happened in the bathroom–it shows "Parenthood" has a real level of honesty about how life really plays out and demonstrates how it's the innumerable little moments that shape our family relationships. You forgot the story line with Sarah, her old friend/flame and her daughter's college applications. Awesome show!

April 28, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jessica

I understand Kristina's situation. I work full-time but would much rather be at home with my daughter. I hate that I can't do everything for her, be everything for her; that I need help, that someone else is watching her during the day and feeding her lunch, etc. just kills me, though I know she's in great hands.

Her children are HER children and I understand she feels like no one else will be able to do the things she does for them the way they need them done. I get that. She's being a territorial parent, she's a bit of a control freak, and being home with her kids means things get done her way. I wish that was my life!

However, you can see how much the job opportunity makes her happy, fills her with pride, etc. I hope she can figure out a balance to the situation that will make her happy.

And in addition to the Mom-line between Kristina, Julia, and Sarah, I felt like the best line of the night was between Sarah and Amber talking about the guy reading poetry about her vajuju. That was hilarious! I love this show!

April 28, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jamie

I think she should take the job. She seems so depressed, and that really made her shine. I LOVET THIS SHOW!!!

April 28, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |