April 28th, 2010

Oscar winner to direct 'Twilight: Breaking Dawn'

testing captions
testing captions

"Gods and Monsters." "Chicago." "Kinsey." "Dreamgirls."

"The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn"?

Yes, the movie version of the Stephenie Meyer novel is the next film on Oscar winner Bill Condon's agenda. Condon, who earned his Academy Award for his "Gods and Monsters" script and helmed "Dreamgirls" - for which Jennifer Hudson picked up a trophy - will direct the fourth film in the "Twilight" saga.

"I'm very excited to get the chance to bring the climax of this saga to life on-screen. As fans of the series know, this is a one-of-a-kind book – and we're hoping to create an equally unique cinematic experience," said Condon in a statement from the series' producers, Summit Entertainment.

"Breaking Dawn's" screenplay will be written by Melissa Rosenberg, and the old gang of actors - Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner - is scheduled to return to play their roles.

The first two films in the series, "Twilight" and "New Moon," grossed more than $1 billion worldwide at the box office. The third film, "Eclipse," is scheduled for release June 30.

Filed under: movies • Robert Pattinson • Twilight

1. Niaomi

Sue:
    I know! I mean, do they really expect that they will be able to make it in a good movie? They'll just ruin it, just like the ruined half of the Harry Potter movies. . .

April 30, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. iheartjacob

Coresadanel, I totally agree with you. In particular Kstew is pretty bad, but I do think she's getting better....whatever that's worth. And yes the yummy werewolves are the best part to the movies I must say. Hopefully BD won't suck, it is an incredibly involved book with many complex elements, it HAS to be done in 2 movies at least or else it'll be trash.

April 29, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. coresadanel

Sue, that was so rude!! What kind of person tells the whole plot of the film in a blog dedicated to fans that haven't neccesarily read the book yet. That was so mean, I hope you're happy with yourself..

April 28, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. coresadanel

I'm sad they have decided to make Breaking Dawn a film.... With each book that is made into a movie, the wonderful, perfect image of the story that I have in my head is killed with the weak performance by the chosen actors. Not saying they are bad actors, but these characters are too complex to be played out in a true, honest way. I don't understand HOW they are going to make Breaking Dawn make sense in a time frame of less than 3 hours, it will take away so much from the story and make it worthless to watch....
    But I'll still enjoy every second of the werewolves muscles flash across the screen :)

April 28, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chantal

This is message for Sue... Thank you for giving out the punch of the whole book.. Not everybody read the Twilight Saga!

April 28, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. T

Ok I DO think that BD should be split into two movies. All those people saying would be dumb if they did like really?? There is SOO much stuff that goes on in that book I DEF vote for two movies!! Would make it so much better and be able to fit more stuff! They would be really smart I for one would love to see more details brought to justice and can only do that with 2 movies.

April 28, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gevirgio

Breaking Dawn WILL be released as two films. A press release a few weeks ago confirmed it. **Spoiler** The first film will end right after Bella's transformation. Bill Condon has just signed on to do the 4th film. No word on whether he'll direct the 5th.

April 28, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Courtney

I am very excited for Breaking Dawn... It was my favorite book out of all of them. I have hoping that they don't ruin it thought... I would be sad... There is so much to that movie and I hope that they got by the book as well as they did on New Moon. Can't waite.

April 28, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. boriiqueen67

Really? seriously? Why the hell will Summit chooses director who has done crappy ass movies. so what that he won an Oscar. OMG why the hell would they give a guy who has made low budget movies in the past. Okay Dreamgirls was hit, but seriously why him? Why not choose a director who has done films that were not low budget films. Man I hope he doesn't ruin it. Summit should really do they're homework and search for a director that knows his stuff. I will pray that he does a good job and make this movie a hit..

April 28, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. R

I'm curious to see what an oscar winner can do with an un-filmable book.

April 28, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. J

First of all, I don't read where it states that he's going to make one movie instead of two. They *should* make BD into 2 because once the movies are over – there is no more excitement left for people who love the series. 2 movies would do Breaking Dawn justice – maybe even 3 with as much stuff that goes on.

April 28, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Isha

Haha ok thanks Jan, I sure will check them out. I heard so much talk about the movies i lost interest but im curious now.

April 28, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jan

Commenting to (Isha).
    Yes! Your missing out on alot! Both the movies and books are amazing! I promise you won't be disappointed!

April 28, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sue

There's way too much that happens in Breaking Dawn. They definitely need two films or it will be rushed and something will be left out. I mean they get married, honeymoon, pregnancy, birth, change to vampire and then getting to know what its like to be a vamp, then preparing for the Volturri by gathering all the clans, Alice and Jaspers departure, and then the showdown. Whew! How do you fit that all in one film????

April 28, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Isha

Hmmm i've never seen any of these or read the books. Am i missing out on alot?

April 28, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Kristina

I am very excited, however I thought Eclipse & Breaking Dawn both should have been made into 2 movies each. There is just SO much to those books. I hope they can fit all the important stuff in...cause there's a lot! Still I will be there opening night to see it!

April 28, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christina

What are you talking about? Those books have nothing to justify 2 parts. These last two movies are going to fail, especially since they have no thrilling climactic scene at the end, unlike other book/movies finales.

Summit just realized that Twihards will go watch the movie no matter what, even if it sucks and they can't see that. they are just doing it for the money. They would have never done it if Warner Bros. never done it with Deathly Hallows(which has more than enough to make 2 stand alone movies).

June 30, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  17. Laura

Thank goodness it sounds like he is only talking about doing this book as 1 film. I love the series, but this is not the book that deserves to be split into 2 separate films as they have been speculating might happen. I also hope they forego the 3D!

April 28, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |