April 28th, 2010

Is Steve Carell planning to exit 'The Office'?

Judging by an interview Steve Carell gave BBC radio while promoting his movie “Date Night,” Carell's run on “The Office” may be coming to an end.

Carell said his contract only runs through next season, the show's seventh. When the interviewer asked if he planned to stay on after that, Carell said “I don’t think so. I think that will probably be my last year.”

Carell’s film career, on the other hand, shows no signs of slowing down. “Date Night,” his action comedy with Tina Fey, has performed fairly at the box office, and he’ll have two films out this summer: the animated feature “Despicable Me” and a comedy co-starring Paul Rudd, “Dinner for Schmucks.”

Would you still watch "The Office" without Michael Scott?

Filed under: television

1. lastminute

hello!,I really like your writing very so much! percentage we communicate more about your article on AOL? I need an expert on this area to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you! Taking a look forward to look you.

April 3, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kyle

It's kind of like the 70's show. Once Ashton Kutcher & Topher Grace left it was obvious the magic was gone. I would just end the show on a good note without dragging it on to destruction. It was a great show but it has somewhat ran its course.

July 30, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Charlene janeczko-king

No Michael- HMMM, I'm a total Dwite fan.
    My husband planted beets and could not figure out why I thought it was so exciting- because he is the Dwitiest person I have ever met. Shruteeee !!

June 17, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

Todd Packer could be the next boss.... I would watch that... After The Office ends.. my new show is Parks and Recreation

June 28, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Graha

if you really liked the office you would learn to spell Dwight Schrute's name correctly 😛

July 30, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Diyawndruh

The Office and House are the only two shows I make a point to watch. The Office is great! I will admit though that this season has not been the best. I like the older episodes and unfortunately, it is running dry and viewers can tell that the writers are getting desperate. I'd watch it without Carell, and I think it would be interesting to see someone else in there. Someone made a comment about Jim Gaffigan or Ricky Gervais replacing him. That would be hecka cool! =]

June 12, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. V

michael makes the office. the office is one of the funniest all time shows ever. it would be a huge let down if the office ended, or even tried to continue on with out michael. i love all the other characters but michael is the "main" character, it would ruin the show and disappiont alot of people.

May 2, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Blondie

Phil Hartman (RIP) would have been an excellent replacement. But I agree, Jim and Pam's wedding should have been the SERIES finale. With every one dancing...priceless!

May 1, 2010 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. poppy

Maybe Ricky Gervais will take his place. Now that would be a show.

April 30, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ally

the office will never be the same without michael scott. end of story.

April 30, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Heather

The Office is a great show and UNLIKE other sitcoms it remains popular even with changes, the whole tenure of the show had change and was not stagnant like other sitcoms. I think if he left the show would pull through and still be funny and successful although he is one tough act to follow. Stay in the Office Steve!! ❤

April 30, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sarah

I literally dont understand how people could still watch the office without Michael Scott. he is the back bone of the show & he makes it what it is!
    please don't go Michael!

April 30, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  11. MoutonNoir

I too was not too pleased with the Office this past season, I agree that the Jim/Pam thing is a bit worn out! But no Michael, no Office. Dewight is still the best on the show, Rainn Wilson kills but we need a fresh new storyline now. Although, last night was hilarious, Kevin and the M&M statement, I died. 🙂

April 30, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. this one

Jon Lovitz. A la 'News Radio'.

April 30, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. Maddy

I'll still watch because of Pam and Jim. 🙂

April 29, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tom

Let's just say they decided to replace him. Who would keep the show going and keep it worth watching?
    My vote – Jim Gaffigan.

April 29, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Reed

better then family guy!! yeah i said it, take that seth

April 29, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Reed

This is crazy! He is soooo cool!!! still i can see him leaving the show but it would would take them a whole year to recover from him leaving the show!

April 29, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. amber

Most likely not. although there are a lot of funny characters on there, steve carrell brings them all together, he's normally the root of all laughter. i don't think they can replace him either. please don't leave stever carrelllllll. you are sooooo funny!!!!! i need the laughter in my life.

April 29, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Chuck Roast

"Bam April 29th, 2010 1:53 pm ET

How is the show "jumping the shark" by including the birth of the baby? Isn't the show a statement on real life? Aren't babies born in real life? Don't babies affect both personal and business life?"

No, The Office is what's called a sitcom. You know, funny ha ha. You're thinking of John and Kate Plus 8 or TLC's A Baby Story so you can say "awwww" over and over.

April 29, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Go Sharks!

One of my favorite shows, but I probably wouldn't watch The Office without Michael.

April 29, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Amanda Smith

No, definitely wouldn't watch it. He's the biggest star of the show and almost every scene revolves around him. It would be nice to end the show on a good note with Michael Scott finally settled down and happy.

April 29, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Joe

Shows should end before they run dry. Look at Mash, Rosanne, The Simpsons. They linger(ed) on past their prime and it's just painful to watch.

April 29, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Joe

Mike Scott character stinks big time good riddens!

April 29, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Bam

April 29, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Suz

Meh. I think The Office jumped the shark a long time ago.

April 29, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Fnittertippan

There needs to be a new permanent character on the show, but Michael needs to stay. Andy was a great addition back in the day. I also think Jan should come back (did you see the Dinner Party episode? Hilarious. That's why she needs to come back, IMO). Also, some of the past side characters should pop up again. Cousin Mo, Jim's bothers, Kelly's parents...

I agree that the lovey dovey stuff is getting a bit old and the writing is not as crisp and witty as it once was.

I had a hard time with the British (original) Office, but now I am a complete addict. It is a different type of humor and characters than the American Office, but give it a try or two and I think you'll like it!

April 29, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Boopsie

I absolutely Love Michael and his insaneness. I will miss him and will not watch the show without him there. I agree with others that the show has run it's course though I still watch the reruns. I do not like the focus on jim and pam now, as it they are the "Office", and Michael is just in the background. It seems that once tv shows have a "new baby born" in it, the show is pulling strings to keep people hooked. It's not working any longer for me. I saw his latest movie and everyone in the movie theater including me was howling, it was so funny!!! Bye Michael and Take care of yourself. Do good in the future!!!!!
    Your biggest FAN!!!!!

April 29, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Chris

How about a new show with Michael Scott and Larry David?

April 29, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jason from Hollywood

His character is the focal point of the show. All the funny stuff comes from his character's actions, thoughts and feelings. They would have to replace him with someone who is also outrageous, but I wouldn't invest any time in it at all. I've watched a few of the episodes this season, they're flat. Plus I'm on an anti-NBC jag cause of that whole Jay Leno – Conan – Jay Leno thing....

April 29, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Tank

Kevin on the show is hilarious! one of my fave quotes was from Kev.
    "I do the numbers"

April 29, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Grumpy Old Man

I can't wait until he does, because it will only speed up this show's circling the bowl. This is the only show I know of that I can sit and watch without cracking a smile for a straight 30 minutes.

April 29, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  31. DaveR

When Steve's contract runs out at the end of next year it will be the perfect time to end the show. Period, done.

April 29, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Thank You

Thank you NBC & Steve Carell for ending this terrible show. This show has already gone about 5 years too long. It should've been cancelled after the first season. It is not funny or entertaining.

April 29, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Trillstone

jumped the shark jumped the shark jumped the shark

April 29, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Chuck Roast

Lurkinator April 28th, 2010 11:54 pm ET
    "I say next season get Erin and Andy together, Dwight and Angela together, and Mike with a newly-single Holly."

and

jenben April 29th, 2010 2:33 am ET
    "I'm not sure how two people falling in love and having a baby classifies as "jumping the shark" on a show like The Office, where we have characters like Dwight Schrute and Michael Scott!"

ONCE AGAIN.... Sitcom, NOT soap opera. Friends for instance was disgustingly unfunny after it got turned into a soap opera with cupid arrows and babies flying around willy nilly. Scrubs was disgustingly unfunny after it got turned into a soap opera with cupid arrows and babies flying around willy nilly.

April 29, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Sarcasm

People saying "Jump the shark" jumped the shark 15 years ago.

April 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  36. mark

The Office jumped the shark a long time ago. Time to end the show.

April 29, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  37. NCole

.....that's what she said!

April 29, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Stew

This show jumped the shark after Season 3 anyway. They should have ended it then. Will I watch the show without Carell? No.

April 29, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Brett Michaels

Yeah right buddy, not before I hit it!

April 29, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Horn Dod

As long as Jenna Fisher doesn't leave! And if she does, she can come to my house! What a hot babe!

April 29, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  41. bonedeep

The office needs to end next season on a semi-respectable note. It's already starting to get old.

April 29, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  42. continuousones

He should leave. Since he began his executive roll on the show (producing it) it really has not been as good as it was. Too much focus on him and too many failed attempts at humor. It would likely be better if he left, like it once was. Can't remember the last time I was ROTFLMAO from this show.

April 29, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Hannah

I'm sad that he's leaving, but I really only care about Jim and Pam. I think the show has run out of story lines for them, though, and are trying to make it about Andy and the secretary...Boring. Sounds like the show is over.

April 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  44. FRANK

He won't leave, he'll get a million dollars an episode and be fine.

April 29, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Jaxon

From "Customer Survey"–

"This is William M. Buttlicker–who's this?"

I laugh every time at this scene–hilarious set-up and brilliant writing/acting. That's one thing I DO have to say for the show, more often than not, I actually BELIEVE these actors ARE their characters!

April 29, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  46. Terri

I love Steve Carell in this show only, I don't really care for his movies. The office as a whole is great together.

My favorite bit: That's what she said!

April 29, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  47. Tom

A clever plot twist would to have Andy somehow become the boss. Lose the love storylines. Best line(s) "If you don't know Michael Scott, you ARE Michael Scott (from a SC interview), and "Get out of the way, I haven't pooped in a day and a half." That about says it all for Michael Scott, IMHO.

April 29, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  48. Jaxon

Love the show but this last season has been a bit dodgy with the quality of the writing: too many characters doing things that their characters wouldn't do/say (same problem 30 Rock has). Their "older, funny" shows are some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen on TV. As for my favorite lines, too many of them to choose from! Basically anything Creed says, though (from "Stress Management"), Andy's "THE FIRE IS SHOOTING AT US!" is pretty damn good....Ha! If the writing doesn't pick up a bit, then I say end it, though I'd miss it dearly....

April 29, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  49. paul

he needs to stay - it will not be the same without him. His movies are not very good also. He needs to stay in that character. His movies are not good at all...

April 29, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  50. Adrian

I'd certainly give the show a chance without Michael Scott. The remaining characters are all interesting enough on their own to have some good stories. Not having Michael Scott would force the writers to work in different ways, which could be better or worse.

April 29, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  51. Matt

I would probably continue to watch because I enjoy the entire ensemble cast and there are lots of fun subplots to the series involving the minor characters. If they did stop production, a spin-off with Dwight and Angela could be a great show...or if they would try to replace Carrell, my pick would be his former "Daily Show" nemesis, Stephen Colbert (he would be awsome).

April 29, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  52. essbee

We all know what happened to MASH when McClean Stevenson left, the funny went with it along with his career

April 29, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  53. millie

Steve and Ellen- twins.

April 29, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  54. John

The office without Michael Scott? That's hard to swallow. That's what she said!

April 29, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  55. NealR2000

As brilliant as The Office is, it's not big ratings-wise. I think that we will see it come to a close.

April 29, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  56. B

I wouldn't watch the Office without Steve, however, the show's sort of dying as it is anyway now that Jim and Pam are together. I'd like to see the show end on a high note before they decide to make the two of them divorce or have Pam fall in love with Dwight in order to spike some ratings.

April 29, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  57. Tim

I agree with people who say it's time to end it. One more season after this will give them enough time to end the show well.

April 29, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  58. Kyle

I think he is the main attraction for the show, though I do ADORE Jim and Pam. yeah they did jump the shark with the baby. But it will remain one of my favorite shows, end or not.

April 29, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  59. Bigpoppy

I would still watch the office if he was gone but it would not be the same without the "thats what she said comments" . Dwight and Jim need their own show.

April 29, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  60. EricLR, Atlanta, GA

Easy solution, just bring in David Brent as the new boss. He was funnier than Michael Scott anyway.

April 29, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  61. DaMama

The Office would not be any good without Michael Scott.

*that's what she said*

April 29, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  62. potatoslaw

while 'the office' has become hit or miss the past couple of seasons, some of my favorite episodes have come from this season. i believe this year has been better than last year. but if michael goes, the show goes. i agree that he is one of the best comedic characters on tv if not ever.

April 29, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  63. dean sez

The real discussion here, it seems, is not whether there is The Office without Carrell, (that seems a no-brainer, kind of silly to continue it without him), but whether the show should continue on at all.

Several times I thought the show had jumped the shark, and yet ... it continues to have good moments and still remains one of the funniest shows on television, despite its lack of steam. The show has been kept fresh with the presence of the Andy Bernard and Erin characters/storyline. Everyone else has pretty much played out their best storylines, I think.

I think the perfect place to have ended it would have been
    when Michael reclaimed his position at Dunder Mifflin after the Michael Scott Paper Company storyline. That would have made an excellent final episode.

I'm surprised, with the very high quality of the show and the writing, that they haven't made an exit plan before now.

April 29, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  64. Margaret

My daughter just loves this show.
    I, on the other hand, don't think it's funny at all. I watched an episode or two and just don't see what the big deal is...

April 29, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  65. RS

I love Steve Carrell, but never could get into The Office. I've been a fan of his since he was one of the voices on SNL (he was one half of the Ambiguously Gay Duo). He's got a good sense of humor, and I think if he feels like he's gone as far as he can possibly go with The Office, then why not go out on a high note. I think its best to end a show on a high note, rather than on a dismal one.

April 29, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  66. Dirty Joe

Big John,

Sorry to break it to you bro (although from your comments you don't seem to watch the show anymore), but the celebrity cameo stage has already begun on the office.

Kathy Bates. 'nough said.

April 29, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  67. Katie

When Steve Carell leaves: Game Over

April 29, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  68. Big John

I wouldn't watch it WITH him (anymore).

The show has run out of steam.

The once outrageous, yet still somehow believable antics have all been exhausted. The show's decision to focus instead on character relationships, while pushing the outrageousness envelope to unbelievable extremes has spelled doom for some time now.

Look, it happens to all great shows. Ideas run stale, new characters are introduced to make up for lack of story, and things just seem to get wackier and worse. It won't be long on The Office before the celebrity cameo phase begins.

April 29, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  69. Andy Frederick

Let's see, he has two choices... Either he can say "I will do anything to continue my role on The Office!" and exepct to be low-balled by the network. Or he can be dismissive and say "Nah, I don't think I'll be back" and get a much better offer. To think he's really saying he won't be back is extremely naive.

April 29, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  70. Dan

Anyone think that Andy would make a decent manager (in the Michael model anyway)?

April 29, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  71. Chrisie

replace Michael with R. Gervasi would be awesome; more of B.J. Novak and Mindy

April 29, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  72. KevinFinnerty9

Michael Scott leaving the Office would be devastating. The effect would be ... incalcalcable.

April 29, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  73. TC

Don't pull a "scrubs"

April 29, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  74. pcgeek

Did you know Creed Bratton was for several years the lead singer for the Grass Roots. In the 1960's. They had some pretty big hits in the day. But on topic...Michael Scott annoys me too...sorta like George Costanza.

April 29, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  75. C. Miller

Honestly, besides some really funny unPC stuff he says, Michael is one of the least funny characters on the show. I'd rather see more Andy(hilarious), Dwight and the others compared to Michael. The act wears thin after awhile while the others have a quirkiness that is great to watch when they interact

April 29, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  76. Jack Meoffer

People are still watching network t.v. ? Ugh, safe, boring, same stuff over and over and over for 50 years. Old joke, laugh track, time for commercial. Yuck !

April 29, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  77. Caldon

I would still watch at first to see if they recover but at this point I have a hard time believing it could keep up the quality without Steve on the show.

April 29, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  78. jenny

why do writers think that babies will up the ratings? whenever a character has a baby, you know the writers are desperate and the show is on its way out. i love babies, but NOT in sitcoms!!!!!

April 29, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  79. Patty

I think Carell is a very important part of the show. The entire cast makes the show, but when you pull one of the characters out, the show will never be the same. (Unless you put in Ricky Gervais–and I think he is kind of busy right now.) It would be time to end the show while it is still on top.

April 29, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  80. Benjamin

I agree with most folks. It's time for the Office to bow out.... its been great and I enjoy this season but it can't compare to previous ones. with or without carrell the show needs to be done.

April 29, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  81. jenny

no, the office centers around steve's crazy character.

April 29, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  82. T

A few rules of a tv series...

1. try to have a good long run (five to seven years)
    2. keep the show quality good and stable during it's run and try
    not to "jump the shark"....
    3. End the show on top
    4. Always remember the rule: TV shows don't last forever...

April 29, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  83. TOHUNT

I love The Office....so funny. What about Kathy Bates...she could come in and run the office. I thought she was hilarious also!!!
    But I'm learning that all good things must come to an end. Guiding Light, October Road,Cane....don't get too attached any more!

April 29, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  84. maxine

I love the show.
    Actually the more I watch, the more I hate Michael.
    Everybody Loves raymond was the same for me. At first I loved the show, but Ray's constant whine-ing and the 2 sons sicko relationship with their mom made me ill. Not funny anymore.
    They could continue on without Mike

April 29, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  85. ChuckO

I agree with others that it's time for the show to end. The original British version only ran for a few short seasons anyway. The Brits do it right: Do 6 or 12 episodes and get out. Besides, most of the American show's cast will go on to do movies and other TV shows, and most/all will collect checks for years now that "The Office" is in syndication.

April 29, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  86. Rob

I think if Steve Carell leaves, the show should end as well. They could get some other star that may provide a temporary buzz, but once that novelty died off, I'm afraid that it wouldn't be worth watching. The chemistry between all of the cast members is something special and to replace him would mess with the whole show.

April 29, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  87. rq

Stupid move by Carrell. He's on a hit show that is still doing well in the ratings and he gets paid a ton of money. He wants to end that for a film career? Some one should get him in touch with David Caruso or Julianna Margulies. They left big shows, failed in movies and was forced to come back to tv. Carrell, it's easy work. Shut up, cash the checks and continue doing movies during the breaks.

April 29, 2010 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  88. Darryl Schnell

I think seven years is a good run, let the show go out with class instead of beating a dead horse just so you can sell more DVD seasons. Pam and Jim's storyline is basically resolved. Dwight and Angela will probably get back on track in the seventh season, and I really don't care enough about Andy and Aaron to be really worried if that ever gets resolved.

So if Carell leaves, end the show with style. Let Toby kick him in the nuts, before we see him leaving to move in with the HR woman whose name escapes me, and let the others finally breath a sigh of releif because their moron of a boss is finally gone from their lives.

April 29, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  89. MJ

One word (office style): Creed Bratton.

Little tidbits of Creed is what makes me live. Put Creed in charge–change the concept of "boss" and let the characters take over.

April 29, 2010 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  90. E. King

OK, time for a Dwight Schroute (sp?) spin-off?

April 29, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  91. Patty

Steve Carrell makes the whole show...However, new talent is always there, so I would watch, but if they could not replace him with someone with the special something something,,,no i won't watch.

April 29, 2010 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  92. John

They have to be very smart in how they replace him and it could work. Woody replaced coach but although both were a little dim-witted each was his own character. They need to find someone that can actually make Michael Scott look like a genius and not have Michael retreat upstairs like Richie's brother who never was seen from again and reference him at conferences or at corporate. If they can successfully replace him...I'll keep watching.

April 29, 2010 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  93. Chris

Carell is one dimensional. He is essentially the same in character as he was on the Jon Stewart show. For that reason, I could never get into the Office television show. It is mean spirited and the film style is annoying.

April 29, 2010 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  94. shannon

NBC should do it like Lost – pick an end date, market the heck out of it and be done with it. I love the show but I agree – go out on a high note while it is still a good show.

April 29, 2010 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  95. george

This year the writers have been making Michael unlikeable. He used to be just goofy and clueless, but now he's a little mean spirited. (example: throwing away the car keys in a hospital emergency room entrance)
    Good luck in your future endeavors, Mr. Scott.

April 29, 2010 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  96. Taylor

Office is a fantastic show. I agree w/ everyone that they should end the show on a high note. What show has ever lasted with them taking off one of the main characters? NONE!!!!

April 29, 2010 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  97. Lance

My girlfriend loves this show and raves about it and I dont get why alot of it is funny. IMO Parks & Rec & Community are way better shows.

April 29, 2010 at 4:28 am | Report abuse |
  98. Alfred

I agree with everyone saying it should end on a good note. Scrubs...just go sadly unbearable. End it with dignity, please. Not much else in Hollywood is these days.

April 29, 2010 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  99. Steve

Needless to say, the best show on television for the past six years. With the passing of Michael Scott, might be time to put an end to the show while still near the pinnacle. One of the greatest TV shows ever.

April 29, 2010 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  100. Khristina

Oh- and Michael talking to corporate in an attempt to fire Toby.

Michael: Is there no way we can get rid of him?

David Wallace: Not without cause Michael.

Michael: I have cause – it is beCAUSE I hate him.

April 29, 2010 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  101. Khristina

BRETT-

Michael, Jim and Dwight going through all of Dwight's complaints about Jim. I laugh SO hard when I watch it. Christ, I'm laughing at just the thought of it.

Michael: (reading Dwight's list of complaints) Someone replaced all my pens and pencils with crayons, I suspect Jim Halpert.
    Everyone has called me Duane all day, I think Jim Halpert paid them to.

Jim: (to the camera) YES! 5 bucks each, and it was totally worth it.

Michael: (again reading Dwight's complaints) This morning, I found a bloody glove in my desk drawer, and Jim Halpert tried to convince me that I had committed murder. I think he may be the real murderer.
    Jim Halpert said there was an abandoned infant in the women's room. When I went to save the child I saw Meredith on the can. Gaah.
    This morning I knocked myself in the head with the phone.
    Michael looks confusingly at Dwight. Jim is trying hard to suppress a grin.

Jim: (to the camera) That actually took a while. I had to put uh, more and more nickels into his handset until he got used to the weight, then I just, took them all out.

Michael: (reading the complaints) Every time I typed my name it spelled 'diapers'

Jim: (to the camera) Just a simple macro. You know.. these actually don't sound that funny one after another. But he does, deserve it though.

Michael: (reading more complaints) By the end of the day my desk was about two feet closer to the photocopier.

Jim: (to the camera) Yeah I just.. moved it an inch, everytime he went to the bathroom... and.. that's how I spent my entire day that day.

April 29, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  102. thesegoto11

Slough > Scranton

April 29, 2010 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  103. jenben

As much as I love this show, I must admit I've barely watched it since the wedding episode! In my view, that probably should have been the end of the series. I couldn't agree more with Janet's comment that the Andy/new receptionist love story is just not as gripping as the Jim/Pam storyline. Despite how much I love the characters, I just don't know what direction the show can go next. I'd rather see it go out on a high note as well.

Incidentally, I now hate the phrase "jumping the shark". I'm not sure how two people falling in love and having a baby classifies as "jumping the shark" on a show like The Office, where we have characters like Dwight Schrute and Michael Scott!

April 29, 2010 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  104. Rob - Australia

It was a poor copy show anyway

April 29, 2010 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  105. BigOfficeFan

Just like other great sitcoms, the office has potential disaster without Steve Carell, the main character. The difference might be however in the writing. The writing tends to be great across the board giving opportunity to various characters and most recently showing that new figures can be brought on successfully.

Most shows tend to lose their impact as their years pass, but I've personally been happy with the way they've kept me interested. If SC leaves I hope they at least give it a try for a year or two as it's something I've grown to look forward to. They also always leave storyline open to new people joining in, so who knows.

This is not Seinfeld!

April 29, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  106. rh

Favorite line....anything that involves an interaction with Michael Scott and Toby. Best ever was when Toby got back from Costa Rica.

Michael: NOOOOOOOOO!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!! GOD PLEASE, NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

April 29, 2010 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  107. Max Jartos

If Steve left....he could still do cameos. But Dwight could carry the load. Stanley could be the next office manager... Maybe Toby will fall in love with Oscar....? Who knows.... But, the writing is getting a bit stale. Pam's pregnancy was wayyyyy over-written and Kevin needs MORE speaking lines in the show!!!! He is a quiet diamond on the show and he NEVER talks enough.... I think KEVIN could get his OWN show! Seriously... "Kevin's Office" anybody???

April 29, 2010 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  108. Sarah

NO, as crazy as he is on the show it would be hard to watch it without him

April 29, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  109. Spencer

They should 'hire' Zach Galifinakis. I would actually watch it.

April 29, 2010 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  110. mark

Show jumped the shark this season , good timing on quiting wonder how they will cut him ? A amazing death?

April 29, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  111. Spencer

Kill it while it's good. Don't make it another 24.

April 29, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  112. shoshana

that s terible but they will be reruns

April 29, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  113. quotables2

Creed: "Au Natural Baby.. Swing Low Sweet Chariots"

Steve Carrell and Tim Meadows: I want my baby back baby back...I want my baby back baby back baby back...Chilis baby back ribs"... classic funny

Kelly: "Hey, You, I dont like your boyfriend, cause cause, cause he sucks at Ping Pong"

Just a few off my head...

April 29, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  114. T

WOW! WHAT A GEEK! Yeah, I've seen the episode. Still... you sound like Comic Book Guy.

"For all the folks who think they are true Office Fans and keep making silly comments concerning hiring Ricky G's character David Brent –
    If you will go back and actually pay attention to the BBC version – What you really mean to say is Sabre should hire Gareth away from Wernham Hogg, as David Brent is no longer an employee as seen clearly in the 3 year anniversary edition The Office Special.
    Please try to keep your ideas in order so as not to confuse anyone.. what a bunch of lookyloos."

April 29, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  115. Little kid lover

Noooo!!!!! This makes me so sad! I love Steve Carrell and I love The Office!! I seriously block out that 1/2 hour of my week religiously. It is the one show I have to watch. It won't be the same without him. 😦

April 28, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Lurkinator

If Steve goes, I go. I love The Office, but it wouldn't be the same with Michael Scott, not matter who they hired to take his place. I say make next season the last (as sad as that would make me!) and get Erin and Andy together, Dwight and Angela together, and Mike with a newly-single Holly. All tied up in a bow, unlike the Sopranos (how could you, HBO?!?!?!?)

April 28, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Janet

The Office jumped the shark with Jim and Pam's wedding. I will still watch it until the end as I still get some laughs, but the attempt to mimic Jim and Pam's "tension" through Andy and the new receptionist just isn't cutting it for me. Plus, Jim and Pam are attractive and were 3 dimensional – Andy is NOT attractive and both he and the receptionist are 2 dimensional. Stop focusing The Office on love matching and start focusing on the OFFICE.

April 28, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Office Boy 2

Bill Shatner as the next Michael Scott?

April 28, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Office Boy

I'd hate to see him go.

"I don't want people kissing up to me bceause I'm the boss. I want them to kiss up to me because they love me."

April 28, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  120. ohjeez

i watch the show to see Creed pop out sometimes out of nowhere and see what crazy things he does. but no, the office should end. having no michael scott is like the philadelphia eagles without mcnabb. HAHA

April 28, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Mark

And, BTW, I'm not the Mark who wrote the comment about thinking the show was unrealistic. I think The Office, while maybe a tad mellow dramatic at times, is a lot like a small place I worked at where there were relationships left and right with co-workers and having a boss that wanted to be everyones friend but was pretty much hated by every one. It's pretty close to real life in some form or another.

April 28, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Mark

My hope is that The Office will end next season anyway. I want it to go out on top. If Michael Scott is not there, as much as I love Jim, Pam, Dwight, Andy, and the cast, Steve is the glue that holds the craziness together. I don't want it to go down like Scrubs did.

April 28, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Will

Maybe they will replace him with justin bieber.

April 28, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  124. ella jay

i for one recall a time when i used to get 'steven colbert' confused with 'steve carrell'. they were both on a little show ... what was the name of it ...?> hmmmmm :-p

i'm totaly happy to see steve coming into his own. i always liked him better 😉

April 28, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Angelique

To Mark, who said the writers have obviously never worked in a real office; I actually worked for a company, a children's book publisher, where the vibe was EXACTLY like the Office. Our boss was a lovable idiot who had kooky marketing ideas. We were always having parties, talent shows, silly meetings. Everyone was hooking up with everyone. I mean, to a T. This company is now defunct, surprise, surprise.
    The show is ready to end now...

April 28, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Michael

That show is awesome. Funnier everytime. Terminator the series was bad ass too.

April 28, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Todd

How about a black version?

April 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Michael

No michael scott has to stay at the office he is my favorite character

April 28, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Evan

The office is my favorite show I love it i dont really want it to end yet but it wont be the same without Michael, I cant think of another actor that could come close to replacing him. No one could.

April 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  130. amy

They should get the british office boss dude. He is funnier than Carell once you get past the language barrier

April 28, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Cosmo

It hasn't been the same since the writer's strike

April 28, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  132. JP

Personally, Steve Carrell's Michael Scott is the most annoying aspect of the show and every episode his inane stupidity finds new ways of getting on my nerves. The Office is one of those shows that could have new characters every couple of seasons because in a real office setting, people come and go all the time (including managers). I would definitely continue watching and probably enjoy the show a little more without him.

April 28, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  133. PJ

he isn't my favorite character but the show needs him, jim, pam, and dwight and would fall apart if any of those 4 left

April 28, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  134. caseyisguilty

the show hasnt jumped... yet. it has been hit and miss this season, and part of last. just a speed bump
    The Office and 30 Rock are still the two best sitcoms on tv.
    it is worth 2 or 3 more years.

April 28, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  135. mike

Remember Spin City? How could the show EVER go on without Michael J. Fox. Then comes Charlie Sheen; a totally different flavor, but the show is still great in a different way.

If they went crazy, and got a totally different personality; someone like Jeff Bridges to fill the role....
    The show would succeed in a totally different way.

April 28, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  136. beckybreck

Um, NO!

April 28, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Jensen

No Michael Scott = No Jensen McGuire watching

April 28, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Steve

I'm not sure I want to watch it WITH him lately. Major decline in writing and freshness. Next season would be a good time to end it.

April 28, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Nan

Steve Correll IS the show. The man's acting is priceless. Without him I would never watch The Office. As for the love/baby angle – yuk! In fact, the current script writers have really lost the plot. If Steve goes, then so should the show.

April 28, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  140. CityMommy

Even though everyone in our family is a HUGE fan, we would hate for the show to start going downhill and feel Mr. Carrell's Michael is the glue that holds the gang together. Maybe Sabre would have to close the branch and that's how they could end it (that wouldn't seem like copying MTM, would it?). The wedding was by far my favorite episode ever - laughed and cried. Those "mental pictures" between Jim and Pam and Jim's speech at the rehearsal dinner - the best. The wedding entrance - classic. Favorite Office line ever was delivered by Michael on diversity training, "Abraham Lincoln once said, 'If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North.'"

April 28, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Henry W.

How many times can we all say "Jumped The Shark" ?

April 28, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  142. CowboyDon

April 28, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Mark

This show is ridiculous – not funny. It should have been cancelled years ago. The writers have obviously never worked in a real office. There are plenty of things that happen in a real office environment that are funnier than anything depicted in this show.

April 28, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Chris

Nah...I love the Office, but it has run out of steam in my opinion. But by far the funniest show ever.

April 28, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Felica

no...probably not...cause its not the Office without him.

but shows have lasted long past 7 seasons...maybe Stever will reconsider??

April 28, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  146. CowboyDon

April 28, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Joey

Not without Steve, no. The Office is really not complete without:

Michael, Dwight, Jim, Pam and Andy. The other characters, while they would be missed big time, do not make or break the show IMHO.

April 28, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Jon

I don't watch it now since the plot lines have gotten so silly and at times impossible to follow. Carrell however, given his less than stellar history of picking scripts may want to hold off on giving up that steady pay check. Anyone who saw Bruce Almighty knows what I'm talking about.

April 28, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Bobby Digi

Screw the Office that show needed to end gracefully about 4 seasons ago, anybody who still watches the Office is as dumb as anybody who still watches Lost.

April 28, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Susan

Probably...but they should get another character as funny as he is.

April 28, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Brian in California

Well yeah...what would The Office be without Michael Scott? But then again the whole Jim and Pam buildup through numerous seasons has been resolved, married with a kid. So what's next after that? Plus, there's no more Dunder-Mifflin.
    The show does keep changing and adjusts to them but then again it may be heading toward an ending while it's still popular. End on a high note instead of waiting for that "jump the shark" moment.

April 28, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Don J Roux

A perfect return opportunity for David Brent! Corporate hires him from Slough as the Scott's replacement.

April 28, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Brian

No, I wouldn't watch it without Carell in it. And I agree with a lot of other commentors that it's time to call it a day on this show... the whole Pam and Jim thing is unwatchable at this point, and the vibe has gotten way too "wink wink".

April 28, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Johome

The Office should have called it a day years ago. Leave it to American television for this show's long painful death.

April 28, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Scotty P.

it was inevitable. I was surprised they got him for as long as they did!! The show jumped the shark once pam and jim got married. I gave up on it after that. Better to remember the old gang funny and new.

April 28, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Faye

As a HUGE fan, I would watch it even if it carried on for 20 more seasons... but I also think the series has run it's course. And if Steve Carrell goes, the show just wouldn't be the same; no one could ever fill in those shoes.

April 28, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Alexander

I think that the show should have ended last season to be honest. They are wearing thin right now...and most people know that. They should reboot with a few familiar faces like: Creed, Kevin, Andy, and Angela, and have them transfer to a new company or something.

April 28, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Kevin

The office would suck without Michael Scott. I would be really disappointed if Carell left, but like others have said, this season has taken a wrong turn.

April 28, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Chris

He's a producer. Hmmm?

April 28, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Greg

"Take me by the Hand...make me a man...cause Tonight...you make everything all right" (Andy: Riii–ghttttt).

When is Hunter going to release the album so that his other fans (Jan) can have a go?

April 28, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  161. zach

Dwight is the only reason i watch that show.

April 28, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Mohawkmolly

Love the Office but it would not be the same without Michael.
    I would watch just to see what would happen to those people
    without him there, it might be interesting to see how they would
    function.

April 28, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  163. Brad

No because I don't watch it now. I really like Steve Carell tthough and will watch his movies.

April 28, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  164. anthony

Steve is the heart and soul of the show and his Michael Scott is one of the greatest creations to ever grace tv. It's funny because I actually am related to someone who is for lack of a better description a real life Michael Scott, so I guess in a way he will live on in my life even if they do end the show. 🙂

NBC I beg you to please pay Steve whatever he wants so that he feels inclinded to stay on board. The performance of this cast under Steve's leadership is truly inspired. You do not want to lose that kind of magic. This show has that special mix of talent and writer/cast chemistry which has resulted in a product that is greater than the sum of it's parts. It takes a certain kind of grace for something so special to come together like this, and I feel that "grace element" is what Steve has brought and continues to bring to the show. NBC you need to hang on to that level of talent and I hope you can find a way to hold it all together and allow the show to run it's course with Steve onboard. The end product is still very strong and I believe if Steve stays, the best is yet to come.

A personal note to Steve Carell, you truly bring joy into the lives of a lot of people every Thursday night and not a lot of people can say they do that at the level that you do with the office. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. I hope that you can find a way to stay on and continue to entertain us as Michael Scott for many years to come.
    Life without The Office & Michael Scott would be sooooo hard. (THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!!) Sorry ....I could not resist. 🙂 God bless and best wishes for your continued success and happiness.

April 28, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  165. MIke

None of the characters make any sense anymore. What type of character has Ryan become? He's different every week.

April 28, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  166. MIke

For me the "Mafia" episode right after the wedding signaled the beginning of the end. Something has gone horribly, horribly wrong this season.

April 28, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Christine

And prison Mike was, well, really embarassing.

April 28, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Todd

The looking at the camera is getting old.

April 28, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  169. cassie

Question: What kind of bear is best? False! Black Bear. Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica

April 28, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Ellen

I have never liked The Office. So why did I read this article, and post a comment, you ask? I have no idea.

April 28, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Christine

Meredith: You know, Oscar is allow to wear sandals and I can't wear open toe shoes. Is that how it goes? (pulls jumpskirt lower)

Oscar: Meredith, your boob is out!

Meredith: Fine (yanks up terry cloth jumpskirt).

Angela: Too far!

Kelly: Damn it Meredith, where are your panties?!

Meredith: It's casual day. Happy?!

I peed in my workout shorts on the treadmill when I watched this.

April 28, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Jo

Sorry, didn't read down. People already gave the Scrubs analogy. Like anyones reading this anyway! lol.

April 28, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Jo

Please, Micheal IS the office! Sure Dwights the second idiot and the rest follow, (Except for Jim and Pam) But without Micheal, it's Scrubs without JD.

April 28, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  174. csl

the difference being that scrubs was never good.

April 28, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Todd

Dwight's the man!! He has the strength of a grown man and a baby. Can we see Pam's breasts?!

April 28, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  176. Javier

Yeah, Carrell needs to quit the show. This season has not been funny at all. The Office is dying a slow, painful death

April 28, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  177. Victor

The show without him would probably chug along for one more crappy season and then get canned. NO HE SHOULD NOT LEAVE AND IF HE DOES THEY SHOULD JUST CANCEL THE SHOW WHILE ITS STILL GOOD.

April 28, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  178. odysseus14

Only if Ricky Gervais takes over as manager! That would be bloody awesome!

April 28, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Fozman

7 seasons is the perfect run for such a good show. I agree, go out on top.

April 28, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Chuck Harold

NBC EXECS: Please end this show next year! You don't want to turn this thing into ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE. You've had a nice ride, much nicer than I expected, given the very high bar set by Gervais. But you have succeeded wonderfully. Do a spin-off, if you must (Shrute Farm Antics? Angela's Kitty Botique? Actually, don't do a spin-off!), but get out while the gettin's good, I say. Don't even THINK about the show sans Carell–unless you can somehow snag Gervais (and that ain't gonna happen). But thanks for a great show, assuming it does end next year.

April 28, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Doug

I work for Michael Scott, it's not funny, and I'd love it if he left.

April 28, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Tracey

Brett–Here's one for ya. Michael Scott from the Delivery episode: "Nope, not yet, not yet, not yet...I gotta go (pause) wash my eyes. That kid's gonna have a lot of hair." I thought I was going to lose it! LOL

April 28, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  183. msquared

Knowing he's leaving, the show will either 1) play it up all season, with a big typical sit-com ending with everyone leaving (like the office being shut down, etc) and then canceling the series with a huge final episode. OR 2) they'll have Michael leave the show, and be replaced by some new manager, and limp through another season, to be cancelled the final season due to flagging ratings. NBC (and the other networks for that matter) like doing this...going all the way back to the Andy Griffith Show becoming Mayberry RFD when Andy Griffith left the show; Happy Days outlasted many exited cast members, but most real fans preferred the Ritchie years to the Chachi years; a few years ago Las Vegas replaced exiting James Caan with Tom Selleck...the show tanked. I love the Office, but would rather they spent the whole season building to a big dramatic finish and end the series...then have a cliff-hanger and get canceled (like My Name is Earl...which I liked better than The Office), or to replace Carell and have a final season that NOBODY likes.

April 28, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  184. jules

Watching the office without him, would be like a PB&J without the bread. No substance, just goo.

April 28, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  185. jennifer

Please don't leave we need you. The office needs you what will we do without you. P.S I love Stanley.........

April 28, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  186. wilyfem

There is no office without Michael Scott, as much as I adore all the other characters. 7 seasons in is a good time to quit, before the show outstays its welcome. Seinfeld ended while it was still wildly popular, and I'd like to see The Office do the same.

April 28, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  187. Buck12

No way, without Steve there can be no Office, he is the centerpiece of all the scripts. It's time for the show to end anyways...ever since season 3 ended it's gone downhill more and more every season.

April 28, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  188. B T

Desiguy, did you get a restraining order from Dwight or no response to your million letters to Meredith or what? "I hope he leaves and brings with him the demise of "the office". Every character is so irritating and full of himself/herself."

Its a TV show! It isnt real!

I love the show and think it still has legs. Great TV. Tons of characters and subplots. Steve will cash in like the other greats (Danson, Friends, Jerry, etc). Good for him. I hope we get at least 8 or 9 years total of this classic.

April 28, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  189. Valerie

"scot" you stole my thunder! LOL!!!

April 28, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  190. scot

It must of been hard for him.....That's what she said!!!!

April 28, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  191. Adam

The Office would not be the same without Steve Carell, and it would probably be best for it to end next season. The only condition that show should go on if he leaves is that Dwight (by far the funniest on the show) should be promoted to be the boss. That way he can paint his office black again in oder to intimidate his subordinates.

April 28, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  192. Lord Balthus the Destructor

There's nothing wrong with ending a show honorably. Barney Miller did this, both of Bob Newhart's good shows did this... The Office hasn't yet jumped the shark, so yeah, why not end it on a high note?

April 28, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  193. Chris

There is only ONE man who could replace Steve Carell's Michael Scott.. That is Ricky Gervais's David Brent.. He could be "hired" as the new branch manager..

April 28, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  194. Brett

PS – Does anyone else have a favorite line or dialogue from this season? Let's share! Woo.

April 28, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  195. Brett

The Office is wonderful. Certain episodes are not so great, but for the most part, the show is made up of terrific, realistic, relatable characters speaking believably humorous lines with perfect delivery.

The loss of Michael Scott is saddening. He is the biggest idiot in the world. But you know what? He is probably the funniest character ever imagined. So often I find myself saying, "who thinks of this stuff?" I have to imagine that it's a collaborative effort between the actors and the writers. It makes it so much more enjoyable to know that the actors are actually that funny in real life, and are totally on-board and invested in these characters.

The show will not be the same without Michael Scott, but honestly, who thought it would be good without Dunder-Mifflin? I thought that was going to be the show's downfall, but I was wrong. There have been some incredible episodes this season. I don't see it losing steam any time soon.

Favorite one-liner of this season... "I'm Date Mike. Nice to meet me."

HAHA.

April 28, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  196. Tom

I'm a huge fan of The Office, but I agree that it is time for the show to end. The quality of the show just isn't what it was in the first few seasons, and it is steadily going downhill – through no fault of anyone involved, but there's just nowhere else for the story to go once the main recurring plot point (Jim/Pam) is resolved. Hopefully next season is the last and the show can end while it's still better than most other comedies on TV.

April 28, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  197. desiguy

I just hope American networks stop bringing rehashed TV shows from UK. Please!

April 28, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  198. Conner

I would actually enjoy the office more if Steve leaves. He's irritating. As for the movie career, someone not me is watching his films. Ick

April 28, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  199. MojoNixon

Michael Scott is the best comedic character on tv next to Steve Brule.
    That guy rules!

April 28, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  200. SomeGuyInNC

Yeah, it would be better for the Office to go out while it's still good. Much better than having its network prolong an agonizing, pointless decline just to squeeze out every last penny of revenue from the franchise (cough X-Files cough).

April 28, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  201. Barry

Michael Scott is OK, but he's probably my least favorite character on the show. If it were cleverly done, the show could be better without him. (But the Scrubs comment that someone else made is well taken . . . )

April 28, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  202. Sara

Oops, I meant I won't watch without Michael Scott. 😉

April 28, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  203. Sara

Nah, I won't watch with Michael Scott. The show has been going downhill the last couple of years anyway because it's turned into the The Jim & Pam Show. I totally agree with the previous poster who that it jumped the shark with the birth of the baby. Just end the show and do a spinoff of Jim & Pam and then those fans will be happy.

April 28, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  204. Chuck Roast

I agree with TBailey, I wouldn't watch without Steve and it's time to end The Office. It has definately jumped the shark this season with everyone falling in love, getting married, and having babies, which would be great if it were a soap opera instead of a sitcom. I don't know if they replaced the entire writing staff or what, but now it's a COMPLETELY different show with about a tenth of the humor. Maybe they hired a bunch of writers from the last eight seasons of SNL?

April 28, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  205. wjm

Steve is awesome and The Office is awesome, but this would be a perfect time for them to just end it all. Go out while they can still hold their heads up.

April 28, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  206. Isha

(duketg) I strongly agree.

April 28, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  207. duketg

I'd agree, it's about time for the Office to call it a day. I'd rather it end on a high note than become some kind of zombie horror.

*cough*Scrubs*cough*

April 28, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  208. Isha

Isn't he like the main guy?

April 28, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  209. joe blow

The better question would be, would people still watch Steve after he abandons the office.

April 28, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  210. Valerie

He IS the show, in my opinion.....love all the characters though, and I feel the show "jumped the shark" with the birth of the baby.....

April 28, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  211. 711kid

it's a good contract negotiation tactic Mr. Carell. he will cash in even more on the office, guaranteed.

and no, the office would not be worth watching without him. he and nbc both know that, so again, cha-ching.

April 28, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  212. Rick

The Office will live on without Michael Scott... as long as they don't get rid of Agent Michael Skarn.... that would be too much to bear.

April 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  213. danapronounceddonna

What? It can't be! I am all about Jim, but Michael Scott is the glue that holds the show together!

April 28, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  214. TBailey

I wouldn't watch without him, but it's time to end The Office anyway.

April 28, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |