April 28th, 2010

'Idol' Top 6 learn their fate

testing captions
testing captions

SPOILER ALERT!!! Tonight's blog entry will reveal the contestant being sent home from "American Idol." Don't read any further if you don't want to know the results.

9:56 p.m. – And the person going home tonight is ...

Siobhan Magnus!

MamaSox looks devastated. We get a look at Siobhan's journey before she sings us off with "Think."

9:46 p.m. -Shakira busts out the harmonica for her song "Gypsy," and Rascal Flatts backs her.

She's rocking a prairie skirt with a sparkly gold top. It's like she is Beyonce on top and Loretta Lynn on the bottom.

She and her back up dancers did a little bit of moving, but it wasn't the hipalicious performance I was expecting. I dug it all the same. She does manage to quote President Roosevelt with a line I only ever heard Casey Kasem use.

Back to the elimination: "Big Mike" is safe, and Lee greets him enthusiastically over in the safe section. That leaves us with Casey and Siobhan.

9:37 p.m. -Lady Antebellum = The bomb!

Love "Need You Now." With all of this killer music tonight, who even needs an elimination?

9:29 p.m. - Hey Carrie Underwood!

She's back to introduce the group Sons of Sylvia, who sing "Love Left to Lose." I dig them. Their lead singer looks hella intense though. He is not fooling around.

9:14 p.m. - Ryan Seacrest is in the new "Shrek" film?

I swear there is no work left in Hollywood thanks to this dude.

The gang looked like they had a great time visiting the studio and attending a special screening of the movie. I want some "Shrek" horns now.

Two of the films stars, Antonio Banderas and Cameron Diaz, show up on the "Idol" stage, and Antonio tells Seacrest he is the "best host in the world." Loved Antonio saying "Dim the lights" in the Puss -in- Boots voice.

Finally we get to the results, and Siobhan Magnus is up first and sent to the far end of the stage to form the first group.

Then we have Aaron Kelly who heads to the center of the stage. Then "Big Mike" forms a third group. Good Lord they are making this complicated out of the box. Lee DeWyze stands and is sent to the far side of the stage with Siobhan. Uh-uh.

Cutie Casey James is sent to stand with "Big Mike." So does that mean Crystal "MamaSox" Bowersox gets to go stand in the center with Aaron?

Yes, she does after Ellen DeGeneres explains that she doesn't think MamaSox is in trouble this week.

Ryan walks Siobhan over to "Big Mike" and Casey, and they are the bottom three. Wow that was convoluted.

9:11 p.m. – Oh joy, behind-the-scenes footage of the weekly  commercials.

Everyone is a vampire, and "Big Mike" Lynche is the victim. Seriously, all he would have to do is lift everyone up and toss their undead behinds.

I imagine the "Twilight" fans are loving this.

9:03 p.m. – America cast 33 million votes. Wonder who got the most?

We start the show off with Rascal Flatts who I love, love, love. They are such a great group, and I dig their song "Unstoppable."

Finally a guest artist/group who actually sound great live!

Don't really get them and Shakira, but we shall see.

1. Marie Presutti (Frenchie)

Crystal will win. I am still a favorite of hers. I'd love for you to sing one of Janis Joplin's songs. You are one of a kind and just a sweetheart.

Aaron is great too. Frenchie from Halifax Nova Scotia

Don't worry people complain but I bet they can't wait until Idol comes on I really like it.

April 30, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Stephen

Shes gone! What the!........my favorite and Aaron Kelly is STILL their seiously ah shell do great on her own I Wish her the best! I Love Siobahan!

April 30, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. GAYLE

Funny, remember this was suppose to be the
    year for the girls, and now only one girl left standing.

What does that mean? only girls are watching?
    if that's so, then why did Tim Urban get the boot?

Mike, why is he still there? who is voting for him?
    i don't get his popularity. If Casey goes home
    and he stays. i will finally get why nobody is watching AI.
    it's too flaky.

April 30, 2010 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. Aaron

Come on dudes – MIKE SHOULD GO. No one wants to hear another Ruben Studdard. At least Siobhan Magnus has a personality and doesn't sing like she's in a boy band.

April 29, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joe

Well my day is coming to an end now. It was sad to see Siobhan voted off AI tonight but that is life......She handled it like a professional...I didnt see a tear and I did not hear her complain. Her last song on AI was great....Down loading her music from ITunes now...I have a strong feeling Simon is going to help her out. I hope that she knows that she hasnt live her dream yet that is yet to come! She has more talent then she knows and I hope she doesnt give up on a singing for a living....AI shows what a tough business it ready is and even good people struggle at times to be successful....GOOD LUCK SIOBHAN

April 29, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. GH

The fat lady began warming up for Siobahn the week she announced, "I dont even know who I am as an artist."

Zero surprise here.

April 29, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  7. Carol

Siobahn is unique and has mega talent, like her or not (personally, I think she's the best). The show (and Lisa Respers) are so hypocritical. On the one hand, they fuss at people who don't take risks, who do a song "just like the original artist does" etc. On the other hand, an artist takes risks, then they get fussed at for being too "out there". Lisa, I hope you have the bashing out of your system now that Siobahn is gone. Feel better? Over the negativity now? Can we move on?

Siobahn, I really doubt you read these posts, but if you do – you just keep on being who you are. Don't listen to the naysayers. You don't need to change a thing. I'm a fan!

April 29, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  8. Thierry

MARY,

Agree with you 200%.

Lee is there to stay as a boxer and will be the Champ.

April 29, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. MARY

Siobhan is gone, good. We have enough weird-os singers, we don't need another one.
    Mike needs to go. I don't think he can sing and besides he is a show off.
    Tell Crystal and Casey to do something with their hair, it looks awful.
    It seems like we are going back a bit in years with Crystal. You know, to the hippies years.
    I think Lee is the next American Idol.

April 29, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joe

I havent seen tonight's show since I live in Indonesia. I am sad I like Siobhan and her music. I hope she has a successful future and who knows she maybe back to be an AL mentor. I will still watch the show to the finish even though it will not be the same without her. I hope her and Adam cut an ablum together and they can call it ..Get Screwed American Idol voters!!!!

April 29, 2010 at 3:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rafael

Siobhan was the most compelling person to watch this year–the judges did not like her as this years pick is next years competion and since the usdges are on the top of the mountain they are wary of who is climbing up
    Now if Clive Davis is as smar as people say he is, he will get her under contrat and produce another Whitney Houston, this time a white one who wont give it up for a second rate druggie and washed up singer who knows this might have alredy started. Houstons comeback is still in the making and I doubt she will be coming back. I'm betting on Siobhon to replace.

April 29, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  12. Chris

Thierry that's moronic. What kind of record is Crystal going to make? A folk album. That's not going to sell.

The produces have a terrible record on who's marketable and who comes across as real. Simon Cowell thought plastic Katherine McPhee struck people as real and Daughtry came across as fake and a poser.

Siobhan was on the right track. And she made it farther than Lily Scott for a reason. There's a reason Alicia Keys both liked Siobhan and realized she had the most talent.

The music industry can find somebody to sell out and do what they want any day of the week. People who actually stick to who they are, are the ones who become megastars in the industry. It might take a little longer, and they'll give you h-e-l-l for it, but at the end of the day those are the people who make great albums. The others fall by the wayside.

April 28, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dh

Thierry:

Agree with everything you said, especially about Lily Scott.
    You nailed it.

April 28, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. millie

Rumor has it that Mike was actually in the bottom two, but Ryan sent him to safety and let Casey sweat it out with Siobhan.Now why do you think Idol would do such a mean thing like that. Maybe they don't think it's mean to make Mike look so good.

April 28, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Anton

Siobhan is a performer, but what kind of record would she cut? The other 5 are artists, and – with the exception of Aaron – talented musicians. Big Mike is the best performer of the remaining 5 but may be the least consistent and identifiable as an artist, so the question remains what kind of record would he cut. Crystal is simply super talented, knows who she is and needs to stick to her path without getting caught up in the Hollywood glam. There may have been cause to question Casey's vocal range prior to last night because he has stuck strictly to his RnB/Blues rasp, but his performance last night showed his ability to sing. Last night's performance of "Don't" and his earlier performance of "Jealous Guy" have catapaulted Casey into the lead as my favorite idol. I like Lee – he has a great voice for rock – yet his vocals seem to pretty much sound the same from week to week. (But I also keep buying Nickelback albums so that could bode well for him.) Some of his antics though have been kind of quirky and as some of you have aluded to he should be showing more confidence at this point as good as he is. My only concern for Mamasox: she seems to be losing her edge and earthiness amidst the glitz and glamour while it seems to me that Casey is unphased by it all and has stayed true to his musical direction and keeps showing more of his talent.

April 28, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Dave

AI is going boring till the end now. Crystal is very good; but her songs are all kind of predictable. I will judge her when she creates her own music. Aaron and big Mike are pointless. People won't be able to relate to Aaron for another 6 years (or vice versa). I'm not sure if Big Mike can find that big of an audience for his genre. Casey is like a ton of other blues performers. Compared to other Blues artists, I'm not sure if he shines that much. Lee needs to form a band. I just don't see him as a solo guy.

I think I'll skip the next few weeks of watching and catch it at the top 3. It will be Lee, Cyrstal and fill in the blank (don't think fill in will matter).

April 28, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Thierry

Siobahn was so naive last night when the judges all praised her performance but she didn't know that it was in fact a dirty trick...As I had posted earlier, this could be the last time, and it was.

Well it is an experience and quite a lesson for Siobahn and for others as well about the way aspiring artists must project their image and their talents not with a face value (cosmetics, fake / artificial values and pretention) but with real substance. And what matters the most is to listen to valuable advices of people who come from the music industry ..

I rather give all the chances Siobahn got so far to Lilly Scott instead.

April 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. michele

oh and one last thing i don't care what anyone says...i STILL BELEIVE THE JUDGES HAVE THE FINAL SAY.........ON WHO GOES......I REALLY DO...THIS IS WHY I THING THIS SHOW IS RIGGED

April 28, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Dana

Yippeee!!! Harry next week!!

Just to chime in on the guests this week–enjoyed them even tho not a big country fan. Sounded good, not like they missed their tweaking in the studio.

April 28, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  20. mushymushroom

@michele
    but I wouldn't watch for 2 hrs for an act who would move around while performing but do not sound good...I would rather watch someone who stands there but actually sounds good. Anyway, I get what you mean, because there was a point in my life wherein I would definitely enjoy a Britney performance rather than a Mariah's, mainly because Britney sings awful but she dances sooooooooo freakin good while Mariah stands there singing the Glitter theme song...LoL

April 28, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  21. michele

same here americanidolnomore no need for me to watch it anymore either

April 28, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  22. americanidolnomore

Well now that all the interesting people are gone I don't need to waste my time watching the show anymore. There is no one left on the show who's music I am remotely interested in. Yes Crystal is the only talent left but I am just not interested in her music. Bye and not tuning in next year!

April 28, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  23. davinlcutch

Catch you all next week. Have a good one!

April 28, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  24. michele

you gonna hate me for saying this pro...but all the rest of them just stand there at the mic...........i certainly would not pay to go and see them perform for 2 hours to just stand there...i can watch my kid to that and pay her...Siobhan............moved around...did different things........wasn't afraid.......and she gets kicked out.....i don't get it

April 28, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  25. davinlcutch

I must admit..... Siobhan had the most promise with raw vocals....but as with that promise...she definately was the biggest disappointment.

April 28, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  26. mushymushroom

Good! Siobahn is gone.

April 28, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  27. beccawenda

Siobhan's gone. Life is good.

April 28, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  28. protogere

Michele she is a risk taker yes, but she can't depend solely on the people who appreciate that each week, she has to appeal to others. You know to take Adam Lambert for example (not as a comparison because I don't see that comparison to be honest) but one week he would come out with for example the odd arrangement he did when Randy Travis mentored and then for rock week he comes out with this amazing Mad Mad World cover.

April 28, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  29. mrsmus09

It may still be the year of the girls...Crystal is still in it to win it!

April 28, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  30. mozart4898

I really don't believe it. Siobhan's gone, and this was the year of the girls? Not that I don't agree, but I figured her fan base was just plain huge and would get her through.

April 28, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  31. mrsmus09

All except one have to go home sometime...I wouldn't miss either of these two because neither one is my favorite but between the two I hope it's Siobhan this week.

April 28, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  32. michele

the only one that takes risks out of all of them........and she gets send home go figure

April 28, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  33. davinlcutch

looks like its going to be Siobhan...although I would not miss Casey. After running the show back last night.... Aaron wasnt too bad. Definately better than the past few weeks.

April 28, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  34. michele

i agree pro..........

April 28, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  35. michele

shibhan is going home there s no way kara is gonna let casey go

April 28, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  36. protogere

Well I think that confirms it for me that Siobhan is gone. That's kind of a drag for me because she is the only one left that I'm fairly partial to. But in truth, I don't think any of the contestants are really where they should be by this stage of the game.

April 28, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  37. mozart4898

HOLY crap...Mike's safe? Wow...this'll be interesting...

April 28, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  38. protogere

I really like Shakira's new sound, I've always liked her but wow this sounds good.

April 28, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  39. mozart4898

Whoa...! THIS is Shakira...like, the same Shakira? Not many performers today will do something this different. This really works – I'm impressed!

Tonight's had the best guest performances of the season, I'll say that now.

April 28, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  40. mozart4898

Some good guest performances tonight – nice to see. It's amazing to see the change in "country" music over the last decade or two – it's gone so much more mainstream. Probably why when someone goes back to a more traditional country sound (like Crystal did last night) it actually sticks out as being odd.

April 28, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  41. mrsmus09

@protogere, I understand! I sometimes feel the writing was (wasted) on the teenagers! My mother is an English teacher so from her point of view, it's getting some students to read who would otherwise not. She is actually the one who got me to read the Twilight series and of course I got hooked. Then there's the House of Night series I'm sure you're aware of if you have teens!

April 28, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  42. protogere

Harry is wildly talented and I have this not so secret crush on him, I began squealing like a little school girl when they mentioned his name and my husband is sitting here groaning LoL. And Frank songs, that will be so wonderful to see – I hope. There are so many places they can go with his songs, hopefully step one is laying down their instruments.

April 28, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  43. mrsmus09

OH...next week will be great mozart4898! I especially love the Michael Buble cover that Harry Connick Jr. did; "Home" right?

April 28, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  44. protogere

Mrsmus I might have more appreciation for the novels if I didn't have two teenage girls who have made me abhor the mere thought of the whole thing LoL.

April 28, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  45. mozart4898

I'll be really looking forward to next week – Harry Connick Jr. as a mentor, and the songs of Sinatra. These are the sorts of songs that, while mostly old, lend themselves to being made "contemporary" and in fact are traditionally changed up by each performer who takes them on. A good singer can definitely do these songs justice.

April 28, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Lisa Respers France, CNN.com writer

Thanks Mozart4898 for answering Protogere's question. I have my hand full right about now :-)

April 28, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  47. mrsmus09

I'm so sad that I'm missing the show tonight (I'm at work)...good thing I DVR it!
    I love Rascal Flatts...and Twilight...and I'd just like to point out that the true love for Twilight has nothing to do with vamps and everything to do with forbidden love and the struggle that comes with!

April 28, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  48. protogere

Thanks mozart! It's so rare I see mandolin players in the mainstream and I knew I had seen him before. They're pretty good, I'll have to go hunt for some of their stuff then.

April 28, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  49. mozart4898

@ protogere – They were on the show The Next Great American Band or something like that. They were called the Clark Brothers then I think. But you hit it on the head, you have seen them before.

April 28, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  50. mozart4898

Wow...the audio feed for Sons of Sylvia seems like it's screwed up – like they're being picked up by mics in the audience or something. Cause I heard them this past weekend and they sound better than this – they don't sound bad on here but it just sounds weird.

April 28, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  51. protogere

Lisa, I can't find it but maybe you have more resources there – is this group that Carrie introduced – were they on a band contest similar to AI? I sware I recognize that mandolin player.

April 28, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  52. beccawenda

Siobhan NEEDS TO GO.

April 28, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  53. protogere

OMG Harry! Singing Frank. Oh I am so giddy!

April 28, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  54. michele

i give up on this show i really do............crystal is safe but mike and casey is bottom 3?? oh pullleze

April 28, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  55. mozart4898

Mike, Casey, Siobhan...

Looks more and more like it's Mike. If that's the case, it just goes to show that this isn't totally a singing contest.

April 28, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  56. protogere

Well that was a long run for a short play – really surprised that Lee was saved from the bottom three.

April 28, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  57. protogere

I'm not sure I'm getting the idea of the group arrangements yet.

April 28, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  58. mozart4898

3 groups of 2? What shenanigans?

April 28, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  59. protogere

I don't know about it being something for Twilight fans, I'm more of a Rice fan if I have to pick a type – but I think they put a lot of fun and personality and creativity in these commercials for them just to be aired once.

April 28, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  60. mozart4898

Crystal as a vampire...that actually works. Lol I wouldn't have imagined that.

And Casey and Mike do some good voices in the studio too!

April 28, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  61. protogere

I really wish they'd air these commercials outside of just during idol, that was a cool commercial!

April 28, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Fayelle

it's all about variety...

April 28, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  63. mozart4898

I was glad to see another guest artist performance that was more about the music than the effects. We've seen a couple of those but not many – soooo sick of all the dancers and special effects to hide poor performances from "professionals."

Shakira + Rascal Flatts? Interesting