April 28th, 2010

Country theme will continue on 'Idol'

Country-tinged sounds will continue their appearance on “American Idol” on Wednesday night.

Rascal Flatts and Lady Antebellum are scheduled to perform, along with Shakira. Yeah, I’m not sure how Shakira fits into that either, but just roll with it. The elimination night will be an extension of “Shania Twain week,” in which the Top 6 tackled the songs of the pop-country princess.

Watch a discussion of which "Idol" contestants did Twain proud:

Someone is going home tonight, and I know who it should be: Siobhan Magnus.

Everyone else really stepped up their game on Tuesday night and delivered what felt like a singing competition for the first time since this dismal season began. But Magnus fell flat with a performance that felt forced and dull.

Who do you think got derailed on the Shania Twain?

And don’t forget that after the results show you can head over to iReport to submit your questions for the contestant that gets voted off.

1. rhonda

finally a night worth watching. lee seems to have really found his voice. i enjoyed everyone but siobahn. and i normally like her. crystal waa a bit "flat" in her performance. but still good. i really liked aaron tonite. casey seemed to be feeling the music more. big mike did a great job.

i had predcicted that siobahn might go home. it just wasnt her best.

at this point if these 6 went on tour i could stand to go see them. unfortunately the other 4 will be with them and i dont know if i could stand that.

April 29, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kimmy

Two words......Lee Dewyze

April 29, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. yawn!!

Predictions: Tonight, Shioban goes home. Next week Big Mike. Then, Aaron. Then, Casey. Winner is between Crystal and Lee.

April 28, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Josh M

I like Siobhan, but she doesn't know how to end the high notes. She sings until it cracks, and she's doing it way too often. Sadly, I think she needs to go. As for Crystal, she went more authentic "home" country.. not big and crazy. I'm ok with that. She did something more intimate (not in the sense of sensual). I think everyone else did just fine. Aaron was in his element, but he has been off lately.

April 28, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Keisha

well i disagree with Siobhan going home Aaron should be the one going home and if most of you know how to really sing Siobhan wasn't screeching or screaming she is hitting high notes that most people can't so get over it.. Crystal sucked last night and needs to go home she isn't all that to me and only maybe had an couple great performances... Lee and Mike were great too..

April 28, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. protogere

I think it would definitely be between Siobhan and Lee to go home. Aaron was head's above everyone else!

April 28, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cat

I agree – Siobhan needs to go. Tired also of hearing that "shriek" that you KNOW will be coming towards the end of EVERY song!! So predictable! She's definitely not ready for the big league of entertainment. It should be between Crystal and Lee.

April 28, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Carol

LIsa, I am tired of your negativity. You are trying way too hard to be cool. Siobahn is a great singer. She may or may not be your cup of tea, but she can sing, and doesn't deserve to be bashed every week by you. Come on! How would you like it if everyone bashed you every week for being fat? Wouldn't that wear a little thin? (no pun intended). Lighten up for Goodness sake. No matter who you really like, please at least admit they are all talented in their own ways. Time to quit the 7th grade bashing, Lisa. Grow up and review "fairly".

April 28, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. J

Totally agree with you Thierry!! I'm tired of Siobhan too. I don't like that she can't take constructive criticism and defends herself with a long-winded, "I can't be labeled. I just love to sing" or, "I just love that song." I also hated that she pointed out to Adam Lambert that they've been compared - difference being that Adam Lambert could take constructive criticism and was a lot more likable. Also, last night's shriek made my puppy look at the tv, tilt his head, and cry. She's got to go, but unfortunately, I think she'll be safe for another week.

April 28, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Thierry

I am fed up to see Siobahn dressed up like Cinderella one day, Mohawk another day, screaming but not singing with her nasal voice, off pitch most of the time, pretending to be Ellen Foley singing with Meat Loaf in The American Horror Picture Show (instead of the famous Rocky Horror Picture Show)...

It's about time to face the final curtain ...

"Well Siobahn, I told you once and I told you twice
    But ya never listen to my advice
    You dont try very hard to please me
    With what you know it should be easy

Well this could be the last time
    This could be the last time
    Maybe the last time
    I dont know. oh no. oh no"

FROM THE ROLLING STONES
    (they never came to the show)

April 28, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. BAM

Siobhan was amazing!! So was Casey and Lee. The rest I could do without. Crystal "dirtysox" needs to go home tonight to take a bath. Michael needs to go home and go on the treadmill (that's not all muscle busting out). Aaron just needs to go home to his mommy.

April 28, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joe

That was a great episode of Idol. Never did care for Shania's music or voice, but what a great lady – a beam of sunshine. Aaron really grabbed Simon by the "....." with his heart-felt performance. Even the audience was left speechless. Siobhan is not good. She is hard to look at when she is singing...ugly mouth. Casey is a bore. The girls like to look at him, but he doesn't connect with his music. Crystal is it! End of story.

April 28, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mark

Shakira's new song 'Gypsy' has country influence, That's why she is there.

April 28, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Babylou

I think even though Siobhan has been in a bit of a downward spiral I still like her singing better than either Mike or Aaron.

I get bored to death listening to and looking at both Aaron and Mike 😦

But of the 2 of them Aaron is just such a little kid that i dont think he even belongs on the show – I hope he goes home tonight

Either Crystal or Lee should win in the end 🙂

April 28, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. weazy

I'm hoping its Crystal or Siobhan too. Crystal has a great voice, but she is either getting lazy or it was a lousy song choice last night,and she still looks like a homeless person. Come on Crystal you are on a stage with millions of people watch, comb your da$$ hair. And I too am tired of Siobhan shrieking.

April 28, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ProducrGrl

Um, no, it should be MIKE or AARON. Please God, let it be so.

April 28, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Victor

Magnus should leave. I'm tired of her shreiking and she never performs as good live as she does when she is rehearsing. I don't think she's ready to be a live act yet.

April 28, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  18. LouLou

I am not sure what planet you are on Rose but Crystal is a phenomenal singer. Aaron is a one note bore. Aaron please go home.

April 28, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  19. rose

it's time for Crystal to go. Aaron was AMAZING last night!! I never vote, but I voted for him last night.

April 28, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jim G

This season has been like watching paint dry. Even Comedy Central is better entertainment this year.

I stopped watching weeks ago.

April 28, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Alex

Hey...you didn't hear..? Shakira is going Country. Shakira can sing the phone book...I love her regardless.

Who should go? I think Casey. He is the least original. Last night Crystal stood out as being original. It's the first time I disagreed with ALL the judges. If you aren't into to Country, you just don't get it. They didn't.
    It's LA. What would you expect?

April 28, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Michael

Last night was one of the first great nights of IDOL this season – I think everyone performed better than they have for the majority of this season- one minor exception being Crystal. However, with that said – I think Aaron or Michael are looking weak and tonight may be their curtain call...http://thesmogger.com/2010/04/28/idol-hangover-the-six-do-shania/

April 28, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Isha

American Idol's become very lenient. Still interesting though.

April 28, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Cannon

Agree that Magnus was weak with her shriek, but all of the Judges loved her!!??? Even Simon. We'll see tonight how much sway the judges have with the voters . . . .

April 28, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |