April 27th, 2010

The 'Idol' Top 6 take on Shania Twain's songbook

testing captions
testing captions

8:56 p.m. – Siobhan Magnus always seems to sound better in rehearsal than live, and I don't get that.

She sings "Any Man of Mine," and she manages to strip all of the fun out of a rollicking country tune. Her walking around and interacting with the audience didn't help.

Neither did the big note at the end.  I'm so going to take heat for this, but I don't get why people adore this chick.

For me, definitely the weakest performance of the night.

8:46 p.m. – One of the things I love about Aaron Kelly is that he is hanging in there despite being so young.

He's like the baby brother of the group, and he's so sweet.

He sings "You've Got a Way," and he works it out. I would have been shocked had he not done well on a country song, but he impressed me. Then he really got me when he almost started crying as he explained that he was singing to his mom.

All together now: Awwwwwwwwwww!

8:36 p.m. – Crystal "MamaSox" Bowersox has a message for her man.

Dude better get it together as she just dropped a huge hint that she wouldn't mind becoming Mrs. MamaSox.

She sings "No One Needs to Know," and it is decidedly rockabilly. Coming off of her powerful performance last week, it wasn't as strong as I expected.

The judges didn't love it either. Kara tells her she always comes from a place of "truth," and it's as close to a Paula Abdul moment that chick has gotten all season.

Of course, Simon comes in an makes it rougher than it needed to be at this point. She didn't stink; she just wasn't as mega-awesome as she usually is.

Loved the shot of her cutie pie boyfriend, who needs to be shopping for rings right about now, I'm thinking.

8:25 p.m. – I swear Casey James has the best hair on the show this season.

He's singing "Don't," and Shania has to give him a dose of confidence. And I love that she sang along with him a little bit during rehearsal.

He performs behind the judges and that still throws me off. Casey promises that he will give the audience something different tonight, and he does.

He sounds much more pop-oriented as opposed to his bluesy style. He sounded great, and I really enjoyed it.

OMG, are these people finally stepping up their game this season? Please say it is so!

Funny moment when Simon told Casey he should go give Shania a kiss on the lips, and you could totally tell he wanted to, but she gave him friendly hug. LOL!

8:14 p.m. – "It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing" is a great song.

Like Shania, this song fills me emotionally. That's why I really needed Mike Lynche to connect with the melody and the lyrics.

He sang it like he wrote it, and Shania had tears in her eyes. "Big Mike" is a straight balladeer, and that song in his hands was lovely and touching.  He needs to stay in this lane.

I totally see the Luther Vandross comparison, but I am confused by Simon's assertion that the performance was "wet." Huh?

8:02 p.m. – It doesn't seem like Shania has been on the scene for 15 years. Wow.

She looks great, and I suspect she will be as a great mentor as she's a killer singer/songwriter.

Lee Dewyze chooses "You're Still the One," and I could easily hear his version as a hit pop song. He does this crazy, singing out of the side of his mouth thing, though that disturbs me.

Shania was loving him in rehearsal, and the judges dig his performance. Ellen cracks the obligatory "All aboard the Shania Twain," and I am glad we got that out of the way.

Lee is so headed to the finals.

« Previous entry
  1. Brenda Buckhannon

Your survey question on Sandra Bullock is wrong . The question should have read like this. " Is Sandra Bullock one of Hollywoods' most respected women?".

April 30, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. chipp

Casey's hair? HOW QUICKLY WE FORGOT TIM URBAN who sounded gr8 on Letterman Monday night.

April 28, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chipp

big mike will nvr fit my vision of an "IDOL." I don't care if he can sing the phonebook.

April 28, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chipp

I don't think Lee can sing any better than he can converse & that's not very good....."ya know."

April 28, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nessa99

I cannot stand big mike.. Every time im so mad they saved him. He is all nasal and the only thing he can sing is balads. Every week its the same slow song by a different artist.. BORING! How is that Americas Idol? He would be a good gospel singer, thats about it.

The rest are okay, I was really suprised at Aaron, he did great! Casey was much better this week! Crystal wasnt as good, but shes so talented so it doesnt matter.. Siobhan, ugh. Please go home tonight girl! Siobhan or Big Mike, please america!

April 28, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. thank you

you know the more i think about it i think the judges did what they did to crystal........to show they weren't favouring her.......like they been doing since day 1.....i think this is a game they are playing to try to throw us off track......

April 28, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Victor

It's "viewers", not "views"

April 28, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Victor

I think the judges are misguided and need to make up their minds. Crystal Bowersox sings perfectly to me, and the judges lost their common sense on what she sounds like. I hope the "Idol" views will vote her to stay in the show next week.

April 28, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. AIGirl

Casey is awesome and oh so cute!!!! Great job last night!!!! 🙂

April 28, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TOMMY

well, although Crystal did a fair song, it was country and it still shows her versitality, she is still the one to beat, overall thru the season she is still the best, I thought Mike did good with his son, but he is diffently a R and B singer, Casey should be lead in a rock band, Lee gets better each week, as well as Aaron and Sioban, although Aaron is young and still has alot to learn, and Sioban is cute it is going to be tough to separate them now.. I still think Cystal is far above the rest, with each moving up or down each week... Sioban or Aaron would be my choice to go tonight..

April 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joshua Weikel

Did anyone else find annoying and a little rude when Casey said, "I'm playing the rhythm guitar, so I'm basically doing nothing"?

I don't play the guitar, but I'd imagine people who do play rhythm guitar would be offended by this. To boil what their doing down to "nothing" it gives him a sort of arrogance, like saying that those who play rhythm guitar a lesser musicians than playing lead. I wonder how some of the members of the band felt about that.

April 28, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. supercalifragulistic

When are they going to do a show full of KISS songs or Metallica songs? Lets really test their versatility

April 28, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. supercalifragulistic

Also, there's a line in this article/blog/whatever this is that states, "It doesn't seem like Shania has been on the scene for 15 years. Wow." I have a correction to make, it should read, "It doesn't seem like Shania has been on the scene IN 15 years."

April 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Terezinha

Tem uma matéria interessante sobre isso aqui:

April 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. yeahh

get some new talent.

April 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  16. supercalifragulistic

Lee is the most boring singer on the show. That being said, Siobhananna was the worst perfomance last night. Hopefully, she goes. The good ones last night were Aaron (cant believe I said that), Big Mike, and Crystal, in that order. Casey , Lee and Siobanananan should be in the bottom three this week. Lee really, really sucks, just to let you nuthuggers know.

April 28, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mary

TOTALLY agree with your comment about Siobahn. I hit FF on my DVR about 15 secs into the song. It is truly painful to watch and listen to her sing.

April 28, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Just a Drummer

@Jana – Well said. I agree with you, but would want to factor in songwriting ability before rendering a verdict on some of these
    kids.

April 28, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jana

I really think this is the most mediocre season of all the Idol years. You can find this sort of "talent" at any mall in any city in the U.S. except that of Crystal. She is unique, talented and original. Lee could have a unique voice, but he can't stay in tune. Casey has the "handsome" factor that a front man in a bar band could have and the rest of them could go back to the mall! Just my opinion, folks.

April 28, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  20. Mark

Siobahn is absolutely amazing... VERSATILE. ..This is no screaming or screeching that is an amazing tone and powerfull voice...We have to give her credit... What an ending..!
    beleive it or not, Crystal was the one boring last night, bringing nothing special....Same as Mike..

April 28, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  21. Just a Drummer

@Joe and Penny – Don't care for Adam either, but have to admit the boy has immaculate technique. Perfect example of always being in tune, but just hard to take – so strident and shrill.

Siobahn does have very odd diction and phonation. She sounds stylistically wrong to me singing almost all genres. She might be
    okay if she stuck to goth and rock (somewhere between Pat Benatar and Evanescence). Everything else, she just sounds goofy, even when her execution is okay.

April 28, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  22. Joe

My 26 year old daughter just told me that I am silly saying that Crystal might be voted off the show tomorrow night. I asked her what she remember about last night show.
    1-Siobhan singing...not saying if she liked it or not
    2-Simon's comment about none of the judges liked Crystal's performance.
    3-Big Mike singing another slow song but singing it well.

Performances that we remember and talk about defines who will win this contest....Dont be surprised to see Crystal in the bottom two....Remember Mike was voted off the show 3 weeks ago.

April 28, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  23. Merin

I was very surprised Siobhan received positive remarks from the judges. I saw Shania's face, and I think she heard what I did. Terrible performance!

April 28, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  24. Just a Drummer

@JackoB – Yes, when they say "pitchy" they mean that the singer is out of tune. Notes all have a specific frequency, measured in cycles per second or Hz. (e.g. The A below middle C is conventionally set to either 440Hz or 442Hz). If your vocal chords vibrate a little faster or slower than you intend, then you're pitchy.
    The thing is, due to a lot of factors such as the acoustics in the room (live mixes are often very deceptive), vocal fatigue, the color or "timbre" of a singer's voice, and personal taste, one can often perceive actual pitch incorrectly. This can even happen to a trained ear, and, for whatever reason, Randy is very inconsistent in his assessment of the contestants' "pitchiness". Posters here are also pretty bad about forgiving the intonation problems of their favorites, and mistakenly accusing singers they don't like of being out of tune. I have yet to watch last night, but this season Crystal, Casey and Mike have sung most consistently in tune. Of the last ten or so, Andrew and the pretty girl with bright red hair, (the one with a voice like Leigh Nash from Sixpence None the Richer), probably had the most frequent and egregious pitch problems. Of the folks left, Lee, despite having an extremely commercial sounding voice, has the biggest problem with intonation (most of Siobahn's "big" notes notwithstanding.)

April 28, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  25. Joe

That is correct Penny....I didnt like Adam for the same reason..the Screaming... but last year I watched every week to see what he would do and that is why I watching this year too....what will Siobhan do next? Three weeks ago I was listening to VH1 on TV....Listening not watching and I heard a great song as I walked into the room I could not believe it I was listening to Adam's new song 'What do you want me to do'......I can't watch his videos but his music is good. Hopefully Siobhan has the same success as Adam.....In the end I wish the best for all six of these performers but I like Siobhan since Lilly got voted off weeks ago......They are living their dreams and that is what the show is all about.

April 28, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  26. Susan - Canada

@ WallGuy – April 28th, 2010 1:08 am ET

"Anybody know who the blond woman is that was sitting with Shania tonight on Idol?"
    ______________________________________________________________

She is Shania's sister. I've seen her on Shania specials...and I believe she travelled with her when she was on tour. And if you look at them closely, they do look alike, (especially the nose) they seem to have some of the same facial features, only that her sister is blond.

April 28, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  27. Penny

Siobhan sounds like shes singing with a clothes pin attachted to her nose....and.....(i'm gettting ready for some critism) the screaming is one of the things that turned me off of Adam Lambert last year...and it's not working for Siobhan either in my opinion.... this is a singing contest....not a screeching contest...

April 28, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  28. Joe

Siobhan Magnus had a big ending for me.....loved the song. She is this years Adam....love or hate her she is different and special. People maybe surprised tomorrow night someone new maybe in the Bottom 3 and I am pointing to Crystal.....the judges maybe second guessed for using their save on Michael if Crystal gets voted off.....Dont laugh it could happen.

April 28, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  29. KA

I'm not a big Siobhan fan either but she sounded pretty good last night. Still love Crystal & although I understood what the judges were saying I liked the understated performance. You get kinda of tired of the contestants – especially the females – always trying to hit the big notes. I could totally get hearing the song she sang on the radio & loving it. I'm a huge Lee fan & he sounded great. I'm also onboard w/Big Mike. I actually voted last night for my fav 3; Crystal, Lee & Mike...

April 28, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  30. Lvit2Bieber

I feel the pain of Shania Twain...sorry folks...Siobhan's performance was just like every other one of her performances, pitchy, screechy and with a nasal tone that makes me want to leave the room during her performance. I personally think the judges have lost their marbles...not having a DVR did they say it was HER best performance otr did I really hear them say it was THE best? As to their bagging on Crystal did they not notice that she is the only one of the six that can sing WITH the back up singers, I thought the harmonies were awesome. And Ryan should be B-slapped into next week for his over the top and extreemely rude comment about her teeth. I'm still buying whatever album she puts out, I'll take talent over sparkly whites any day!!

April 28, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  31. Susan - Canada

@ mozart4898 – April 27th, 2010 8:49 pm ET

"Hmm...Aaron just sounded "off" for a good bit of that. He's got a good voice but I don't know how well he really worked with that song. Again, another one that I think will be forgettable after tonight.

The whole night could be forgettable really."
    ______________________________________________________________

Really??....I thought last night was once of the best so far. I think Shania was a great mentor – she brought out the best in these kids. But then, I'm a little bias, because Shania is my hometown girl. Just love her!

The only performance I didn't care for was Siobahn...found her very off key throughout the song and her walking around didn't help....in my opinion, the worst of the night.

April 28, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  32. JackoB

Can anyone explain what they mean when they call something 'pitchy?' Does it mean their pitch is off? Or their notes aren't pure enough? Something else?

April 28, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  33. Mik

I'm 99% sure the woman sitting next to Shania was her sister.

April 28, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  34. Diane

Its going to be hard to send anyone home, I thought they all did good and this time did there own thing

April 28, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  35. Cathy

"Wet" is British for "sappy." Simon was saying that Big Mike was too sappy for his taste.

April 28, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  36. Dana

I agree about Siobhan...she's like the Kate Gosselin of American Idol!

April 28, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  37. Buffy

Casey best of the night, Crystal good but not great, Lee not great at all, Michael Lynch good solid performance, Aaron is such sweetie and he did great and now to the Twain Wreck, Siobhan was horrible, worst performance of hers to date, did anyone else notice Shania's expression while Siobhan was up there. She was out of key, pitchy, all over the place and what the heck were those straps she was wearing??? That scream did not fit in at all with this song and was not necessary, she sounded like a cat caught in the lawnmower, oh boy she was bad – all I can say is worst performance of the night and possibly the season.

April 28, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  38. Ahmed

I think the bottom three this week will be, the mom, the dad, and the glass blower!

April 28, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  39. tiredocrap

At least Mike didn't grab Shania and lift off the ground like the last host! Siobhan can only sing when she is screaming. The entire first 95% of her song was just wrong... I can't imagine buying an album of hers with every song screaming at me. Then try to put one of Mike's in and fall asleep. I think they're the two least likely to be commercially successful (IMHO).

April 28, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  40. Lindsay

It will probably be Siobhan tonight because although Aaron and Mike are likely in the bottom three, Aaron has stepped it up. If viewers are listening to Simon then we might see Mike go home. If viewers aren't listening, then I think we will say Goodybe to Siobhan. I think no matter what the judges said or what facial expressions Shania gave, Siobhan's performance was the least desirable of the six.

We're at the point where it's difficult to say anyone is bad, but it sounds like many agree that the other five were better tonight. And the judges have been critical of Siobhan often enough that she's probably lucky to have made it this far.

GO LEE!

April 28, 2010 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  41. AEvangelista

Lisa Respers France: Well, you asked for it, so here it is. There's a strong feeling out there that women who love Crystal hate Siobhan. Some kind of complex going on. Perhaps you can write an article about it since you only have to interview yourself.

April 28, 2010 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  42. tip

today agree with your about Siobhan...

April 28, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  43. GH

No heat from me, Lisa. Siobhan was DREADFUL. And the judges wont be lovin' on her after they hear that mess back.

And Im w/ Sunshine here.... brutal, off key, behind the music, and that SCREAM!! Don't try and save yourself, sweetie, w/ that yelp at the end!! It makes you look pitifully desperate.

Stick a fork in her tomorrow night.

April 28, 2010 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  44. WallGuy

April 28, 2010 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  45. Sunshine

The judges weren't happy with Crystal's performance, but I thought it was great. It isn't one of my favorite Twain songs, but I loved the difference in her singing. Great job Crystal.

Siobhan makes me nervous. She has the biggest mouth in town. I thought her performance was off and sometimes she didn't seem to be in beat with the band. Sor siobhan, it is time for you to go.

April 28, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  46. JackoB

I don't think Siobhan is top 3 material. Votes will tell, sure. I just don't see the same charm. And she can scream. So what? My call for bottom 2 this week, Mike and Siobhan. Are there still 3 in the bottom? Can't decide.

April 28, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  47. TampaBayOldie

Tonight was by far THE BEST! Some good singing for a change ..

However, it is PAST TIME for Siobhan to go home .. closely followed by Big Mike.

Too bad we can't get rid of condescending Seacrest!

April 28, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  48. Olivia B

I'm so confused. I never really liked Casey until he sang jealous guy then was blown away and then he went back to not being that great until tonight. Maybe a Pearl Jam, Staind, alternative rock ballad suits his voice better then the Hewey Lewis and the news vibe. Aaron I love him absolutely country but he needs to belt it out. Lee I'm sold on but wasn't too impressed tonight. Favs in order of tonight are Casey, Lee, Crystal, Aaron, Mike, Siobhan ~ Siobhan needs to go one more big note and I think I'll fly out and slap her. We're over it already.

April 28, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  49. steven

One more thing...for those of you who are saying that Shania wasn't a fan of Siobhan's let her speak for herself. To me her face at the end said, "OMG this girl was great!! Who can hit such high powerful notes besides her?"

April 27, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Liz

I'm normally not a fan of Siobhan but I really liked her tonight. She's the only contestant that I could hear on the radio.

April 27, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  51. April

Hey Lisa!!! Quit stinking up this blog with your anger. Siobhan was the best tonight by a mile!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Vanessa

I have a question for Thierry, how do you know what the judges really like and don't like? Is someone a bit jealous of the really pretty girl this season? Same reason why people hated Carrie, Katharine, Brooke, and Jordin. When you have a beautiful girl on the show the other girls will always hate them. Btw, I was in the audience tonight and afterwards Ryan asked Kara who she thought was the most outstanding tonight and she said Siobhan and Casey. If the judges really hated her, why would she say that after the show? I think someone is riding the jealous/ hate train tonight. SIOBHAN ROCKS!!

April 27, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  53. lisa

Siobahn stunk up the place tonight, and I generally root for her. I agree that Shania's face revealed that she was not a fan either.

April 27, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  54. steven

Let's be honest here, Lisa has hated this girl from the beginning. Siobhan has now emerged as one of the front runners again, and Lisa views her as a huge threat to her favorite. She's also probably jealous of Siobhan too. A litte note to Lisa, why should we listen to you over four judges who know what's relevant and what's not? You purposely said the opposite of the judges. If Siobhan listened to you she wouldn't have made it past the first week. Btw, she has no idea who you are, and your opinion means nothing to her.

April 27, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  55. mathew

i thought siobahn was amazing......

April 27, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  56. joyce

I'm over the hill, but watching Siobhan perform and sing is so refreshing! She's unique, exciting and yes she can sing. Every week is interesting and I can't wait to see and hear her perform. If she makes a CD, I would buy many. One for me and others for my sisters,children, nieces, nephews and friends. She's cool, something new and interesting. The funniest part of this...I'm pretty Conservative. PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  57. heather

I think Lee was awesome! Along with Casey and Mamasoxs...Crystal is always great but this week she just wasn't as good as usual. but i loved the sassy comments at the end. Lee is going to make a great band frontman as well as casey...

April 27, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Jake

I agree, Jacko8, the boyfriend will propose to Crystal now. Why not? She's going to be a money-making machine. Obviously the baby didn't do it, so maybe the $ will. Crystal, Lee & Casey – the rest need to go home.

April 27, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  59. JackoB

5 bucks says that Crystal's boyfriend proposes on the finale if she wins. I bet he will anyway... But how often can you do it on live TV in front of 20+ million people and KNOW the answer already?

April 27, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Cuq

The writer of this blog is always so negative and biased...

April 27, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Kim

Not a "tweener" but I did like Casey tonight, he did much better than last week. Lovin' Big Mike. Lee was good, not his best in my opinion but good. Aaron, I guess you can stay this week but last week you didn't get a vote from me (I know they aren't seeing this but oh well.) As for Crystal and Siobhan, they could have both done better but of the two tonight I did prefer Siobhan. Wednesday night will be interesting.

April 27, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Thierry

It's quite a strategy from the judge's panel. They all praised Siobahn's performance while in fact deep down from their hearts, they hated it so much, because Siobahn failed to deliver it properly. She was off the pitch, screamed and walked like a fool.

Had the judge's panel tried to lower her down again, they will be blamed for being too much partisan of either Lee or Bowersox or Casey.

No Siobahn is the worst singer of the night and you can see the expression from Shania Twain...

April 27, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Zach

Siobhan was awesome. i don't know what you all are watching!

April 27, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Pete

Disagree with your analysis of Siobhan. At least she's interesting and she's not the same from week to week. I'm completely bored with Casey, Lee and Big Mike. They give the same performance every week. Siobhan hasn't been in music as long as the others, but it's refreshing to see that she's not putting herself into a neatly packaged box in terms of what type of artist she's supposed to be.

April 27, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  65. protogere

Michele, it might not be offensive, but I think from what I've noticed in posting in various venues here on CNN's pages, certain words are in their system as potentially having content they need to review. Words or phrases or even acronyms can set it off and then your post gets held back until they can be reviewed.

April 27, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  66. michele

ok lets try this...did anyone else feel the i don't care from crystal.i am still in the lead feeling from her

April 27, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  67. beccawenda

I really don't like Siobhan. I don't get the screaming, she does sound like giving birth. Normally, she either just screams our heads off and call it a "good performance", or have a terrible performance, and whine about it. I am so sick of her.

April 27, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  68. michele

none were offensive pro

April 27, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  69. protogere

Michele, sometimes posts are held back by keywords until they can be manually checked (see the policy: Comments are moderated by CNN, in accordance with the CNN Comment Policy, and may not appear on this blog until they have been reviewed and deemed appropriate for posting. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, not all comments will be posted.)

I am fairly positive Lisa is not sitting here one by one trying to decide whose posts are worthy of being posted.

If you cannot get them through, skim them for words that might be flagged for possibly being offensive.

April 27, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  70. michele

anybody else getting posts not going through?????

April 27, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  71. mozart4898

@ our CNN blogger (Lisa, right?) – Not catching heat for me about Siobhan. That was AWFUL. Train wreck of the night IMO.

April 27, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  72. michele

its free speech i'm allowed to say what i feel........

April 27, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  73. michele

lisa why aren't you letting my posts through????????

April 27, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  74. michele

aaron mike and casey lee were the best tonight

April 27, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Jodi

Thank God someone said it.....UGH I can't stand Siobhan, she ruins the songs...what did the judges hear?? TERRIBLE!

April 27, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  76. davinlcutch

Well..... its gonna be a close one this week. Votes are important this go 'round. See you all tomorrow night!

April 27, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  77. willyboy

Time to vote for your favorites-- bye til tomorrow–

April 27, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  78. mozart4898

So, have the judges changed their favorites now? They're praising Aaron and Siobhan at the end, and I thought that was one of Siobhan's worst performances so far. Ugh.

I agree on Crystal's song – had she been more up tempo from where she was it probably would have been better. Good point.

April 27, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  79. willyboy

why does she keep putting the "scream" into her sonds? she doesn't need to do it.

April 27, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  80. protogere

I loved Shania's advice here and I really wish Siobhan had taken it. You don't sing this song, you force it out. It also sounded like she was horribly off, like the band was playing this part and she was about 2 seconds behind.
    Wow, that is by far the worst performance of the night and absolutely horrid. And I like Siobhan – usually.
    God. I can't even put words to how bad that was.
    Randy loved it? Ellen thought it was fantastic? Kara said she's back? Simon liked it?!!
    Oh dear god I need a sip of their kool-aid!

April 27, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  81. willyboy

This is the song Crystal should have sung-- Siobhan is just a bit off pitch- and there's the "scream"!! better than crystal-

April 27, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  82. mozart4898

Wow...

Siobhan – near train wreck. I mean, she didn't even stay in time with the band. You could tell they were struggling to stay with her.

And the scream's back. Ugh, just...no. Karaoke night is back, just with a big finish.

April 27, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  83. beccawenda

I thought Aaron did a really good job. Everyone is stepping up their game man, except for Crystal. Not that Crystal is not good, she just didn't improve much.

April 27, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  84. protogere

Mozart I think Crystal picked a great song and she didn't need to over vocalize it, but she failed to give it the pep it should have had. It's a cutesy song about a girl hoping that her oblivious guy will someday get a clue but you know for now she'll get by but she's making a list anyhow. It's playful and cute and happy and she delivered it with such a melancholy tone it was almost sad.
    I don't think she has any risk though of going home, it was a good performance as usual, it just wasn't as happy as it should have been. If she had delivered it better – even keeping (as davin compared her to Alison Krause) that bluegrass feel and not pushing any vocal limits, she could have picked up the tempo and delivered it better.

April 27, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  85. davinlcutch

I will have to listen to Aarons song over again. It seems as if I am alone on this one.

April 27, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  86. michele

why aren't my posts going through

April 27, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  87. mozart4898

I do agree better than Lee – so far I would say Lee is the worst of the night. Better than Casey too. But not a "wow" sort of moment and considering how weak Aaron's been lately, he needed a "wow" to hang in there. I don't know if that'll be enough.

April 27, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  88. davinlcutch

Sorry Aaron...school is out. I must have heard a different song.....WOW. I just am totally confused.

April 27, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  89. willyboy

mozart, sorry, I think he really did well– better than Lee or Casey, for sure!

April 27, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  90. protogere

Aaron, for me, has secured the best performance of the night spot. That was so moving and passionate. I would actually buy a copy of that performance.

April 27, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  91. mozart4898

The whole night could be forgettable really.

April 27, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  92. willyboy

Aaron hits a home run! Best performance of the night!!! he's gonig get my vote!!!

April 27, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  93. mozart4898

@ willyboy – You're right – hopefully for her, her fans are still on board with her. At this point I think people aren't really that much swayed by performances, they have their favorites and will vote for them.

April 27, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  94. mozart4898

@ protogere – The problem for Crystal at this point is that if she continues to go with the big songs and go to "impress" people that way, she'll have people saying she never changes it up. If she changes it up, people aren't as impressed as they usually are and don't like it. I agree it wasn't her best at all, but then again, it's a totally different style too. Still more listenable than Lee and probably Casey too. Mike was definitely better than her tonight though.

April 27, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  95. willyboy

Crystal took a risk, I just hope that her fan base accepts the "small" song" bit–

April 27, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  96. davinlcutch

Crystal..... I love you. Not the favorite of the night.... I hope the judges are not too hard.....Crystal needs VOTES. This week cannot come back to haunt her. Oh Simon.... one time where you need to express your dislike of country music you wimp out! The genre failed Crystal tonight although she worked the singing out and the Alison Kraus vibe was nice.

April 27, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  97. mozart4898

I really like how Crystal went out there and did something different like that. It's not going to be everyone's favorite (Randy said that as I was typing it), but it shows that she's more than just the songs she's already done. It wasn't all out gritty blues/rock (like Crystal said, it's not quite as big of a song, and bigger isn't always better), but I think it'll play well to people in general. So I guess I can see where the judges are coming from, but I think she did a good job.

April 27, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  98. willyboy

I'm gonna have to really stop listening to Simon-

April 27, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  99. protogere

Crystal really brought that song down. That song is a cheerful and playful song and I don't think she did it any justice. I was not impressed at all, which is surprising as she usually is quite good. I think Simon's analogy fit well.

April 27, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  100. willyboy

Heck, Crystal why this song???? it's not her power box- and it's showing- Her worst performance- and she could have dropped the band, At least it was more country than the guys–

April 27, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  101. michele

sorry but i STILL find crystal boring...........

April 27, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  102. mozart4898

I don't think Casey was "that bad" but it could have been better. The vibrato thing just gnaws at me (I guess it's a personal thing but it bugs me with other singers too). And I really don't see how his performance is going to stick with people after tonight.

April 27, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Michael

It'll be interesting to see how these 6 do tonight – I think just going into it without anything else said, it would be Casey's night to really shine – country music, bluesy, etc. Also, I could see Lee doing really well. As for the others – I'd be really worried about Siobhan or Michael tonight. http://thesmogger.com/2010/04/22/idol-hangover-the-six-survivors/

April 27, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  104. davinlcutch

willyboy and mozart.... I am NOT a Casey fan, but really... you think that was bad?

April 27, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  105. protogere

LoL Mozart, I'm so stealing that phrase 'goat-like vibrato' as my husband hates the vibrato sound and each time he hears it he always mimicks it but I've never heard a phrase that describes it so well.

Of all of the males, I really expected Casey to try his hand at some of her 'fun' songs, she writes them so well and for him to pick the easy route is disappointing. But he did a great job and he didn't overdo it with guitar riffs for once. And yes, Lisa, I agree, I'd kill to have his locks.

April 27, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  106. michele

oh boy casey and mike were awesomeeeeeeeeee....t

April 27, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  107. mozart4898

Lol @ willyboy – I was saying the same thing – it wasn't all just good.

April 27, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  108. willyboy

Sounds like the tweeners in the audience like Casey–

April 27, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  109. davinlcutch

Dang! Casey...that was good. Nuff said!

April 27, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  110. willyboy

Kara got it right– Good, BAD & UGLY–

April 27, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  111. mozart4898

"I don't think I've sung yet."

What did Casey think this show was?

His goat-like vibrato still comes through and bugs the heck out of me. This was a song where, without it, his performance wouldn't have suffered one bit – in fact it would have been much better without it. Sounded decent but I don't know that people will really be talking about that after tonight.

April 27, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  112. willyboy

well, heer's Casey! Lots better than last week, but he was so bad , anything is an improvement– still, i'm close to plugging my ears-

April 27, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  113. davinlcutch

Oh my.... how I dislike you Casey..... this is heading in the BEST SONG OF THE NIGHT direction.

April 27, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  114. michele

Mike was awesommeeeeeeeee tonight

April 27, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  115. davinlcutch

Lee sounded OK.. Not his best, but not tooo bad either. Big Mike was money. Perfect song and arrangement.....great job.

April 27, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  116. mozart4898

Lol exactly – if I wanna plug my ears and run, it wasn't good. And that's what I wanted to do when Lee was singing 🙂

April 27, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  117. protogere

Oh I agree mozart, it was by far better, but I think the betterment was simply that his voice was pleasant throughout, whereas Lee's was not.

April 27, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  118. mozart4898

Ah I hate how my posts disappear half the time. I thought Mike sounded great – I wasn't a total fan of the song choice but (and here's where people will disagree, they can, that's ok with me), his performance was much MUCH better than Lee's.

April 27, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  119. willyboy

Simon hit the nail!

April 27, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  120. willyboy

Again, the judges must be hearing something i'm not–

April 27, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  121. protogere

I liked Mike's arrangement and it sounded good but why does he always select ballads? Everything is a slow and sweet song, I wish he'd venture out more. But his voice is as usual just so perfect and comforting to hear.

April 27, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  122. willyboy

Well, Mike isn't bad, but I just can't bring my self to like his style of singing.

April 27, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  123. bravehart

I am a huge Lee Dewyze fan and, while I liked him tonight, it wasn't the best I'd heard from him. He is consistent though, in his ability to sound current for today's music scene. That's why the judges rate him up, I think.

April 27, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  124. protogere

He's good, but that wasn't consistent – it started off here and went there and then finally got to the part where his voice didn't sound strained. He's usually so much better so that was just odd to hear him so off.

April 27, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  125. mozart4898

Yeah I thought Lee's choice of song was a good one – but he just totally didn't handle it well at all. It would have worked for him had he been "on" but for me it was very very weak.

April 27, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Erinn

I love when he sings out of the side of his mouth. Kris had that sort of side mouth thing last year too.

April 27, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  127. protogere

I remember first hearing Shania and it was 1991 or so, she was doing some opening performance for someone on TNN when it was still a country music network and I remember I had to special order her cassette because the local store didn't have her music in. She's really amazing as a performance and except for the whole 'Up' era of her music, she has stayed trued to the heart and emotion of music and song writing so I think she is indeed a great choice for a mentor.
    Lee started out way too low I thought for him to stay in key and he was really reaching as he led into the chorus. That was really just pitiful, especially for Lee who usually is so vocally on top of things. What were the judges hearing that they liked so much? Randy's the only one who touched on the rough vocals.

April 27, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  128. willyboy

While Lee is good, there were a few spots I didn't like– he started off so oddly, thwen the second half was good. Judges comments were kind of neutral–

April 27, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  129. michele

i thought lee did pretty damn good

April 27, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  130. mozart4898

Here's the new thread!!!

(copied and pasted from the last one, since I posted while waiting)

Where's the new thread?

Ugh the judges are MAKING ME SICK. Lee was awful. Couldn't hardly find the pitch through half the song...just made me almost sick. One of the worst performances I've heard from him and he hasn't impressed me all that much at all. Bleh. I guess the judges definitely want him to go on, that's apparent.

April 27, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |