April 27th, 2010

'Idol' Top 6 to board the Tuesday Twain

testing captions
testing captions

“American Idol” will be a little bit country on Tuesday night.

This week’s mentor will be pop-country singer Shania Twain, who will guide the Top 6 through performing some of her hits.

I like Shania, and I enjoyed her as a guest judge during this season’s auditions. But I have to admit I am slightly confused as to the purpose of such a theme.

To me, it’s just further indication of how weak this season has been that we are grabbing hold of a Shania night. I would have even preferred "songs from your birth year" over Shania - no disrespect to Ms. Twain.

I bet Tim Urban is really bummed that he won’t be there for this one. I’m just wondering who, Siobhan or MamaSox, is going to perform “Man! I Feel Like a Woman!”

Join CNN tonight and throughout the "American Idol" season as Lisa Respers France blogs live during the performance and result shows.

Next entry »
  1. diectiolocket

This cute baby panda USB flash drive is small enough to hang on a keyring, but powerful enough to carry up to 4GB of your most important files.
    if you want to read more about gadgets then check out http://www.thegadgets.us

July 30, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sofa Slipcover

Shania Twain for me is the best country music singer of all times, I also like Taylor Swift but nothing will beat Shania Twain '`'

December 22, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Post Nasal Drip Treatment :

wow! Shania Twain is still one of the most beautiful country music artist today;;~

October 25, 2010 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. Claire Richardson

what i do love shania twain is that she has a very pretty face and a good voice""*

September 28, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. Dylan Lopez

she can really make great music and oh by the way Shania Twain is also very beautiful with perfectly sculpted teeth"",

July 29, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Taylor Reid

Shania Twain is way better than taylor swift when it comes to country music.';.

June 20, 2010 at 4:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. Avtomobilist

чаще пишите у Вас неплохо получается!

April 29, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. Babu

Shania! All time favorite ! Good Selection! A blend of country and pop! her several songs are wonderful, full of emotions! Country songs are in general full of realities and not just written for listening!!

April 28, 2010 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. sweabsRow

I also have the website that relate to blood pressure. Anyway, visit me for sometime!!
    Thanks!! for the good articles.^_^

April 28, 2010 at 4:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. protogere

::breadcrumbs for Mozart::

April 27, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lee

Mary Powers would have rocked country week and every other week without her the show is weak.

April 27, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. protogere

I thought the same mozart, especially considering the publicized song list and most of her catalogue are songs with quite the feminine flair.

April 27, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mozart4898

To those who say country = boring...totally disagree. Some of the most touching, moving music comes from country. They tell stories. More emotional connection than many other genres of music. Not my personal favorite but heck, I just went to see Carrie Underwood over this past weekend and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to (and I've been to quite a few). Looking forward to seeing what they do.

April 27, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mozart4898

@ jen – I think the original question was – why a Shania night and not just a general country night? Kinda weird to limit them to only one person's songs especially when it'll be hard for the guys to adapt to many of them considering the subject matter.

April 27, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. protogere

Jim, she was in the industry long before Lange stumbled upon her.

April 27, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  16. LauraTJ

I am with you moon627 - country.......BORING !!!

April 27, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Keisha

well i really see maybe aaron and lee really knocking this one out the park.. but the rest I don't know if they are going to be able to perform successfully an shania twain song.. we'll see tonight what happens

April 27, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jim

Shania Twain is one of the most untalented singers I'e ever heard. She was the product of her producer ex-husband Mutt Lange. Maybe she can advise the kids on how to marry into the business.

April 27, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Kim

So Casey says this is his favorite song to date.....can't wait to hear it!

April 27, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  20. moon627

yuck ! simon and i do not like country music.

but i think most of them will do allright with it – especially casey

i'm a little worried for Lee tho since its probably furthest from his style ... but you never know... 😉

April 27, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Manda

Lisa -

I think it would be HILARIOUS for one of the guys to sing "Man! I feel like a woman!" Show that they aren't taking themselves too seriously. I thought it was a strange theme too, not to say that I don't love Shania's music and think she's a great artist– But it struck me a little strange that they didn't do an actual "Country" theme. When I heard the theme, my initial response was, "Good luck with *that* theme, boys." Should be interesting to say the least.

M

April 27, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  22. jen

It makes perfect sense to have a Shania theme.
    She is one of the biggest and most successful artists of alltime and bridged country and pop and created her own sound known worldwide.
    She holds the recrod for biggest female album of alltime and is the only artist in history with 3 diamond albums.
    Shania has many great songs she has written and recorded in the pop world and country world.
    She is a music icon and the perfect them for the night.
    I am looking forward to this theme more than any this season for sure.

April 27, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |