April 22nd, 2010

Stone, Parker respond to 'South Park' controversy

"testing
"testing

CNN Entertainment/"Showbiz Tonight" received the following statement from Anne Garefino, Executive Producer of “South Park," about the controversy over the bleeping of their show:

On behalf of Matt Stone and Trey Parker, Creators of “South Park”: Regarding Comedy Central’s decision to bleep portions of Wednesday night’s episode:

"In the 14 years we've been doing 'South Park' we have never done a show that we couldn't stand behind. We delivered our version of the show to Comedy Central and they made a determination to alter the episode. It wasn't some meta-joke on our part. Comedy Central added the bleeps. In fact, Kyle's customary final speech was about intimidation and fear. It didn't mention Muhammad at all but it got bleeped too. We'll be back next week with a whole new show about something completely different and we'll see what happens to it."

As we noted in an earlier blog entry, on Wednesday, the conclusion of the two-part story involving the Prophet Mohammed was shown with a number of audio spots covered by bleeps and images hidden by a block reading "CENSORED."

"Comedy Central was responsible for the bleeps and not showing Mohammed in last night’s episode," a spokesperson for the network told CNN.

The April 14 episode had attracted protest from an Islamic group, Revolution Muslim. The group posted an entry on its website that included a warning to Parker and Stone.

1. Alexander

I thought that the censorship was put in by south park as a joke, DAMN YOU COMEDY CENTRAL!

March 12, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. tom

What's the big deal? He's just an old boxer.

April 26, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bay Area Republican Male

People die for freedom. It's happening today, it will tomorrow, and it will continue to happen as long as people wish for freedom. This is more true in America then it is anywhere else in the world. And I didn't grow in a country where millions of my fore fathers died for that freedom just to be scared out of expressing myself because of the mortal threat of death.

I hope Comedy Central will find it in there American hearts to see this truth and play all there shows uncensored, including swearing which I also feel shouldn't be censored, as per are given rights as Americans. I want to push my fellow Republicans and Tea Party members to take up this stand against freedom of speech, for Islam is becoming more of a threat to are believes then any one person in are own government.

And if the Islamic radicals are stupid enough to kill American citizens on American soil, I hope my government will protect its people. Even if it means another war of freedom, with a response similar to that of Pearl Harbor if necessary. And that my fellow Americans, is something we all should be willing to fight for.

April 25, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Neo

The War On Terror has now officialy been won by the Islamic extremists and America has fallen even further courtesy of Comedy Central. Way to dishonor one of the very cornerstones of American freedoms: The "Land of the Free" just got a whole lot LESS free.

April 25, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Marius

i want all of the muslim people that have heard about this thing to stand up now and speak out against this dangerously exaggerated vieolence threat in a productive way...

If, like muslims say, extremists are merely just a small part of that religion and most muslim people are good, DAMNIT help out to stop those extremists with all costs...

simply claiming that most muslim people are not extremists while virtually doing nothing to prove the contrary is just ignorant...

no matter what religion you may belong to, you have to help the fight against the prejudices other cultures might have towards you as a good person... believe what you will but don't let others carry out the fight for you...

religion i think is justified as long as you keep it to yourself, if you can't or in fact threaten others that don't agree, go F*** yourself, seriously

April 25, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. larry

It is time to drop all religions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 25, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jms58

It should frighten everyone that this country is headed in the same direction as the radical muslems. All religions are based on ancient myths and rituals but we have religious groups trying to weave their ideology into our government.We already have members of secret religious organizations in congress influencing legislation.This country was founded on the belief in seperation of church and state.
    Human sacrafice was at various times part of cristian history. Would you like to return to that also?

April 25, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. mark

That's it I'm joining the army.!!!!

April 25, 2010 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  9. hotgold9

I like turtles.

April 25, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kristin

It's too bad that Comedy Central won't actually listen to the American public... if we were a revolution with bombs they would listen.

April 24, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lynni

This is terrible that this was accepted at all and changed to accommodate through fear. Everyone has right not to watch what offends, move on!

April 24, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Shane

I gotta add another comment to this, mainly because I have reviewed many of the other comments.

So I guess Achmed the Dead Terrorist should also be admonished?

Maybe we should all write Jeff Dunham a letter so that he can perform a couple of slams on the Comedy Central brass for their silly choices.

To be honest, I think this just gives the Comedians more ammo to work with in their routines!

"LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA! LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! BOOM! I'll bet you can't do it again dumb...!" -Walter

Thank you Walter, thank you soooo much!

April 24, 2010 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ken

Shouldn't these "revolutionaries" who openly advocate sedition and conspire to such ends be in jail anyways? They hate on the very free-wheeling anything goes mentality that allows them to roam the streets free every day, so I say lets make them happy and clamp down on certain destructive kinds of speech... starting with theirs.

April 24, 2010 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  14. Kelly

Wow, so many great viewpoints. I noticed a trend. I also noticed the trend over several years now. Every person who made a comment about this issue sounds "is" very well educated in what is going on in this country and world for that matter. I commend you all. As far as the issue? Yes, freedom of speach at any cost.
    Remember it is a choice. Suffer the consequences or bask in a point well understood and accepted by any religion. Sure the creators of South Park walk on a razor's edge at all times. I remember when "The Simpson's" and "Family Guy" stirred up controversy. Free speach is something we are always dying for. With that said, as a Christian, I love everybody, including my enemy because I would hope that although we may not hold the same beliefs we can still be brothers. Likewise, I am not ignorant. The thought of my saying three letters "USA" next to a couple of 12 year old kids with Kalishnakoves makes me more sad for them then my being scared for my own life. Brainwashing these kids to believe cutting off heads and shooting women or being stoned to death makes me want to change the world even if it means sacrificing my own. Sorry for the spelling. With that being said and not cliche', Thank my God, Lord and Savior for all United States military troops who have given their lives. God Bless those healing and who may need to heal for the rest of their lives. Thank God for our fellow neighboring country men and women joining us side by side, that is all foreign country's participating. Thank you for your sacrifices and loss. We all share in some victories and share in sorrows. May mankind find peace. May he be able to join his neighbor, let's say an American and some kind of militant, for coffee and tea without the dictates of religion and or war. Breaking bread together living side by side. Such a dream. Is it possible? I hope it will. Men can do great things. Men can also be evil to each other. Who? When? What? Why? Where? These must be answered. Good night neighbors and be good to your neighbor.

April 24, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. JenniPoohBear

I bet you if everyone started boycotting Comedy Central and quit watching the channel for even one week...they'd come crawling out from under their rocks fast enough to turn this around. I mean...come on. This IS America. It IS South Park. The very act of censoring a cartoon just because some extremist group issued a threat is utterly ridiculous and is a total slap to the face of America, itself. Since when do we ever bow down to the terrorists and what they demand? Who cares if they're offended? I'm sure many other religions have been offended before from SP and many more may yet feel the sting. Comedy Central, stop being bungholes and lighten up!

April 24, 2010 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  16. John

While I completely understand why most are enraged by this move by Comedy Central I try, as I always do, to look at it from their perspective. Yes they make fun of everyone and all religions but none of them have threatened the show with death before or if they have they didn't take it seriously. If it were me I wouldn't hesitate to alter the show if it meant saving my life and the life of my family, especially if I had the slightest idea that these threats were serious. Most people don't want to die, especially over a stupid cartoon. So I can see why they changed it...they got scared, understandable given who we're talking about, these people are capable of anything. Personally I can't stand SP or more to the point Trey Parker and Matt Stone, I generally think they're a couple of asses who hate too much.

April 24, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  17. Rashid

I am a devout Muslim and I can tell you that these extremists DO NOT represent me nor my people.

I would like to tell them to GO F*&% YOURSELF.

How can a country with freedom of speech allow these individuals to reside in our free world?

Sick...real sick!

April 23, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  18. American

Commie Central has decided for us all that ours is not, in fact, "the land of the free and the home of the brave." Who ARE the executives who caved in the face of "non-specific" terrorist threats? al Qaeda sympathizers? The censorship of this episode - especially given its true message and the fact that it is an AMERICAN program - is nothing short of a disgrace to all we stand for. It is a slap in the face to every soldier who has served to protect the very liberties Commie Central ran over like so much roadkill. I'll keep up with South Park via their Web site until the network apologizes to the American people for presuming to censor every one of us.

April 23, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  19. butter

There are so many human figures in this planet. One figure is really sacred for Muslims, but one is still too much for parker and stone isn't it. Everybody knows that this figure will attract protest, so here you go, enjoy your achievement.

peace

April 23, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Angelo Solare

Boo to Comedy Central for putting the beliefs of blaspheming hypocrites before Southpark and the first amendment !

April 23, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Mike

Revolution Muslim we Americans can't be held responsible for what will happen to you in the coming weeks...

April 23, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Together We Can

It was a brave attempt to for Matt and Trey to satirize Islam via an image of Mohammed. I say brave because we have seen what radical islamic groups have done: Van Gogh, 9/11, Salman Rushdie, and the cartoonist of the "bomb in turban" on the run.

I would love to satirize Mohammed as well, but would be scared to do so. These fundamentalist are nuts! Who wouldn't be scared to have their family at risk, children in danger of being suicide bombed, for utilizing free speech? If they were brave enough to call me out face to face, no problem, but these terrorists have no courage or honor.

Maybe we should have an image of the "prophet" on every single newspaper, tv show, internet site in the U.S. I bet the rest of the world would follow suit. Maybe paint a few bombs with the image as well.

April 23, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  23. thenine9

Comedy Central has the right to do what they want with a show because they have a contract. But I'm tired of all religious groups using freedom of speech to disrupt, threaten, frighten, bully others, limiting our rights to a different point of view. Free Speech has responsibilities and accountability for your actions and reactions from others. I'm writing Comedy Central and letting them know how I feel about religious bullies who threaten anyone because they don't like them or don't like what they say. People can always turn off there TV"s but religious folks of all faiths are not going to tell us what to do or think. Maybe we can all wear an arm band of support anytime religious groups bully and threaten others because of their religious points of view.

April 23, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  24. susan

This is ridiculous! I love southpark I think its funny and makes alot of good points about certain subjects. Im christian and they like so many other media outlets make a mockery of Jesus Christ of of Christians in general but Im not getting huffy buffy about it. I dont like It but again its freedom of speech and they just dont make fun of one religion or person they make fun of everyone. Who the hell is muhammad? Dont know dont care people need to get over it!!

April 23, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  25. chris

Well well......once again the muslims are offended and AGAIN threatening our safety......the soldiers who have DIED to protect us and our freedom of speech literally must be turning in their graves......well done COMEDY CENTRAL....maybe we should all cancel our subscription to Comedy Central and let them know how we really feel......................You know actually start taking a stand for what we believe in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Once again these so called "peace loving muslims" are nowhere to be found or heard from............wow what a shock.... ALL Muslims are the same hate mongers..you are just hiding behind this so called 1 percent of radicals..

April 23, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Stew

What I love the most about this situation is that South Park has shown Muhammed before. The original Super Best Friends episode showed him without any censoring and their was no issue. It was only after the threat's started piling in that Comedy Central wussed out.

Congratulations Comedy Central for demonstrating to terrorists world wide that threats and intimidation work.

And as always, props to Matt and Trey for demonstrating that fart jokes and cursing aside, they are probably the most courageous pair in Hollywood. That they would openly, knowledgeably put themselves at risk like this to make a valid and important point is an example we can all learn from. It's just a shame that Comedy Central took their risk and tried to trivialize it.

April 23, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  27. alan

Boycott Comedy Central till they release all censored episodes of South Park! Censorship is anti-American! Boycott Comedy Central!

April 23, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  28. DallasTex

Ummm... Last time I checked, this was America. Or what's left of it. Land of the free, home of the brave... free speech.

First of all, I think all religion should be banned. It does nothing but cause misery, hate, and wars. But since a ban on religion will never happen, keep your fiction and fantasies to your self.

And to those Muslims that have made it to the "new world", if you don't like it here, and oppose our free society... Get the hell out and go back to your sand box.

Viva South Park!

April 23, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Unconscious

Why the hell are they telling us what to do on OUR television, with OUR laws of free speech, in OUR country.

Newsflash: US is 78.6% Christian and .6% Muslim.

April 23, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  30. Bob Thompson

so it's OK to insult and ridicule Christians but Muslims are off limits?

April 23, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  31. Johnnyoutpost

I have no ill will against Islam or any other religion. I believe all religions have a duty to handle criticism and humor with dignity and balance.

So often when "radical" Muslims (fundamentalists? I guess) have a chance to be gracious and show some tolerance, they instead further prove to the world that they are true champions of The Culture of Homicide. In the name of Allah. Pity.

April 23, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  32. Jed

They turk er jerbs!!!

April 23, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  33. Fred

Shame on Comedy Central for giving in to these threats.

April 23, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  34. Ann Grogan, J.D.

You go guys! Don't give up. Everything is fair game, or our society is lost!

April 23, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  35. tlzombie

I want to applaud Trey and Matt for trying to show the world that we still live in a free country. It saddens me that a company won't stand behind these two and let them air what they want. They are the creators of the number one show in Comedy Central history but they still get treated with disrespect. I think it's great that Parker and Stone treat everyone equally. They rip EVERYONE, but NO not Mohammed. The Muslims and the beliefs they hold aren't any more important than any body else but we're supposed to kiss their feet and make sure not to upset them.
    To Hell with them and ALL of their beliefs. Trey and Matt are true Americans who are proud of this country and they don't care who they upset because it's a CARTOON. I want to say Matt and Trey keep up the great work and screw the Muslims and Muhommed and anyone who doesn't like it. Great show, and if someone doesn't like the show or our country, THEY CAN JUST GET OUT!! South Park forever!!

April 23, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  36. Kan Jackson

This is SUSPECT Comedy Central! As a Black man I am truly offended! South Park is one of (if not THE) funniest shows on television. The reason why I am mad is not just the fact that segments of the show were bleeped/blacked out, but the fact that the Wheel Of Fortune episode where Randy and other caucasion characters say the "N" word wasn't bleeped by Comedy Central! The episode didn't offend me, it was too funny to. But now Comedy Central is offending me when I make the comparison!

Comedy Central cares and worries more about offending people of a certain religion, but must find it funny about offensive racial segments! Although it would support Comedy Central, Matt & Trey I hope this episode is uncut on the DVD release. Though disappointed by his departure, I can clearly see now why Dave Chappelle left.

Talk free!

April 23, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  37. Mike W

Mohammed......... Ok, I typed it and I'm still alive. Comedy Central cannot live in fear of radical groups and their threats, because it in tuen condones it. Matt and Trey should take their show to a network that has a backbone.

April 23, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  38. Crom

My Email to Comedy Central:::::

Why was certain parts of last nights show bleep and censored?????

You always show other religious figures in full...did you all get scared off by the muslims???

Goes to show how dangerous they are already if you all got scared about this episode.

So do you all pray to the sun 4 times a day also???

Would like to know,

South Park Fan

April 23, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  39. Colin Flannery

While I regret that Comedy Central gave into the radical Islamic threats, I am loathe to say "they should have aired it". They were the ones facing the death threats, not me.

To criticize the decision is a bit like standing on the sideline in a fight and pushing your buddy forward, "go get him, champ."

The broader issue is the disgusting nature of this primitive, violent and oppressive religion. This culture is stuck in the Dark Ages and will be for the foreseeable future.

April 23, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  40. drummerboy

It's amazing we can say anything about any other faith BUT God forbid we say anything to upset Islam are Muslims so special or are they taught in their fath to be humourless.

April 23, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  41. Trazey

These guys have always been equal-opportunity offenders, but this topic is so sacrosanct they get censored for it – unreal. I hope they stick to their guns and keep making irreverant hilarious tv, maybe older kids seeing it will see the absurdity of dying over religion and grow up to be more moderate people.

April 23, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  42. Eric

Comedy Central executives are punks! You have let this ridiculous joke of a religious group push you around, are you serious???!!! Just one more reason that Islam is a sham

April 23, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  43. Jason

I find it appalling that our fundamental First Amendment rights are being trampled upon because a religious group threatens violence upon Parker, Stone, and the networks. In short, I can sum it up with a quote from South Park itself.

"This is America. If you don't like, then get out."

April 23, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  44. American Man

C'mon free world....lets ALL respond to this with the same thing....
    1...2...3.... F**K Mohommed! F**K Islam! We are SICK of these idiots!
    We are all soooo afraid to say what the worlds BIGGEST problem is...You know it and I know it! Let em try and do something about it!

April 23, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  45. Mark

I am somewhat religious, and I have been offended by somethings South Park has said over the years, but that is me. And I will get over it. It was my choice to keep watching. But this is still America and I stand behind Matt and Trey's choice to speak, however irrevently, their minds.

I thought Kyle being bleeped at the end was part of the joke. Now that I know Comedy Central inserted it afterwards, then I need to say that Comedy Central has offended me.

Three cheers for Matt and Trey. Oh, and Tom, come out of that closet.

April 23, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  46. america friend

Can it be that USA supports Saudia Arabia,a dictatorial country with no democracy at all.. just to get cheap oil..?
    Time to make a revolution again maybe.
    America can do so much better..

April 23, 2010 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  47. fordranger

I am a veteran of both campaigns of the war on terror, Afghanistan and Iraq. I lost a lot of good friends, watched many brave young men die horribly, and was wounded and disabled myself to defend American's right to free speech and to ensure that your rights could never be threatened with intimidation and fear. Thank you Comedy Central for doing the terrorists' job for them. It's nice to know that all of our sacrifice and blood was for nothing. You are a bunch of cowards. As far as I'm concerned, Matt and Trey deserve a medal.

April 23, 2010 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  48. Declan

I'm sure Muslins think that South Park is evil, so why are they watching it? Boos and hisses to Comedy Central for allowing terrorist thugs to dictate what they show and what they censor.

April 23, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  49. Shane

Lets see, since 09/11 we have had every right in the world to tease Islam/Muslim or what ever you want to call that silly religon.

So if they are so sensitive to the mockery, then I have a solution to these folks. Why don't you go back where you came from!

Nuff Said!

April 23, 2010 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  50. Matt

The world Ginger was not beeped. If I was a Ginger kid, I would write to Comedy Central and demand that the word "ginger" be beeped. It is offensive to people with red hair and freckles. And I guess they should beat "Scientology" too. If you watch the episode, they are not even making fun of Islam or their prophet. Comedy Central basically proved Trey and Matt correct. Americans have become cowards, who are so afraid of getting hurt (terrorism), that we back down to censorship.

I'll say it again. FDR said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." Stop all the fear. Trey and Matt are the ones risking their lives. Muslims terrorists are not going to attack America again because of South Park. It is time we move the focus from the word "Muslim" and put it where it belongs: terrorists. McVeigh wasn't a Muslim, but he was a terrorist. This fear-mongering, terroristic threats have to stop. And we the people have to stop bending to fear, no matter who is spreading it.

April 23, 2010 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  51. Matt

This story has very little to do with Muslims. It is about censorship. Sure, that Muslim Revolution group and their threat is the reason. But the real anger should be that Comedy Central gave in to them. There are so many decent Muslims in the world (the religion has almost 1 billion people, so I hope so) that this group makes them all look bad. They are American Muslims, so you can't say, "Let's get Homeland Security" on them. They have freedom of speech too. But why is Comedy Central listening to them? This is about censorship, not religion. That was the whole point of the episode, which seems lost on people.

April 23, 2010 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  52. joe s

Help us make a difference and fight this censor ship of a comedy show.
    Join Free speech for south park on facebook.

April 23, 2010 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
  53. Thinker

It's quite disgusting to see so many posts talking complete rubbish in the name of freedom of speech.

and I dont understand how CNN comment policy still allows them to use foul language here.

Somebody very appropriately mentioned that Americans are just a bunch of ignorant people and it seems to be making so much sense now. If only you guys talking about freedom of speech had some awareness of ethics and respecting others.

April 23, 2010 at 5:06 am | Report abuse |
  54. OWEN

I am going to draw what I think the prophet mohammed looks like and start posting in on on web pages and e-mails. what are they going to tell me? Really, say something to me.... I will depict him anyway I want to. Of you don't like it... Then too bad.

April 23, 2010 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  55. Matt

I agree with Matt and Trey, but at the same time, I don't blame Comedy Central if they are scared. However, let Matt and Trey own the rights to that episode. Let them air it online or wherever because you don't have the courage to do it. The threats were made to Matt and Trey, not you. But whoever at Comedy Central decided that they were in favor of censorship. Matt and Trey should threaten to bolt the network if they keep censoring their material. This episode as it exists is really created by Comedy Central, not Matt and Trey. You can't cut out the lesson at the end. Kyle was saying something, but because of your fear, we don't get to hear it. FDR said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." And apparently, it's time to fear in America, whether it is terrorists or right-wing Tea Partiers, the use of fear is out of control. Calm down, America will survive. Sorry to go political, but censorship is a political issue.

April 23, 2010 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
  56. Deanna

Oh my god.......it's a freaking cartoon.How shallow do you have to be to believe their comments were directed at you? South Park trashes everybody, it's their gimmick. I have never enjoyed South Park and thats okay. I think it's arrogant,disrespectful and just plain stupid, but hey, that also describes a very recent President (who shall remain nameless) and he was in charge of this country for 8 years.You have to pick your battles in life and this isn't one of them. Really people, if you don't like it , don't watch it. It's that simple.

April 23, 2010 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
  57. luvuall

P.S. Who is organizing the protest march against Comedy Central? This is our damn country and when it comes to our freedom of speech you better believe we will fight for it. Is the ACLU taking this case to court to force Comedy Central to release the un-censored video so Matt and Trey are allowed to share their Allah-given talent and genius with the world?

April 23, 2010 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  58. luvuall

Even with the typos I like what Towlie had to say. :-)

April 23, 2010 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  59. flydude

Decline of western civilization marches on. Wait 'til you lose religious holidays. Canada's moving in that direction

April 23, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  60. Rob A.

Wow CNN just purged about 500 comments

April 23, 2010 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  61. derkaderka

The owner of that muslim site is a jewish convert to islam. Seems like some religious little man syndrom to me.

April 23, 2010 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  62. censor this!

Funny I don't recall CNN doing a story when South Park aired Episode 709 "Christian Rock Hard", but you poke fun at Islam and they censor it and make national news. I think that makes a statement about Comedy Central as well as CNN for letting this happen. If you censor comedy about Religion then it should have been the same across the board and not out of political corrected fear of the Muslims.

April 23, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  63. J. Alexander Lloyd

So maybe I should call Comedy Central and make a veiled threat that if they don't air the sacrilegious South Park episode free of censorship, then they might end up like Van Gogh. Man, I bet they'd turn tail and show that sucker immediately.

April 23, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  64. P Daddy

IF your prophet and god are so easily offended, maybe they need to rethink their career. IF they are so weak they need some one to kill for them, they are not real. An all powerful deity does not need your help. A god would not be so sensitive, he would be omnipotent

April 23, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  65. Towlie

Freedom of speech alows protesters to stand outside funerals for fallen soliders and express their opinon. I dont like it it makes me madd but thats wwhat freedom of speech is. freedom of speech alows these exstremist to voice their opinon without fear in public. To see comedy central bow down to these threats and chuck our freedom of speech right out the window is a insult to evcery soldier and family that sacrificed to give us that freedom. comedy central "shame on you" ....islomic extremist "you arent any better or any diffrent then everyone else" DEAL WITH IT

April 23, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  66. Jaime

"Oh excuse me I thought this was America!"

April 22, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • William Sullivan

Lol. That's funny.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was America."

June 10, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  67. mattface

Okay people
    have you watched south park ever!
    they rip on everyone i believe in episodes 200 and 201 many religious people were shown a number of times and only muhamud was censored okay so why is this religous figure above all the rest for him to be the only one censorerd just seems wrong to me American have the freedom to believe in whatever they want but we are also allowed to say what we want why would it be okay for all other religous figures to be shown but one is not in my eyes there is an equality issure trey and matt where completely right and i support them people need to learn to laugh and take things on a lighter not

April 22, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Az Drunk Vader

people are way too up tight in this country. i thought i was crap that Comedy Central had to censor the Prophet Mohammed. It shows how much or a P whipped country we have become. look at the classic SNL bit with Chevy Chase and Richard Pryor using racist words for black and whites. Now if any one says a bad word people get all up tight and now showing the Prophet Mohammed is too much. wake up people you censors laughed at dirty comedy back in the day and now you get all up in arms over this?

April 22, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  69. NoCoBoy

Dont worry about it – the fundamentalists do not represent any significant part of the Church of Islam. I had lunch with a senior church member today and as stated "these people represent less than 1% of our population. Please don't judge the good of the majority of us by the embarassing comments of a few. We reject them, as should you."

I live in Northern Colorado. If you'd like to discuss this directly, advise via the thread and I'll setup. This gentleman and his wife are very good friends of mine. We're gonna take our grandkids fishing – you could even be invited...

NoCoBoy

April 22, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Nicole

Who cares what south park does! All other the other religions and organizations south park has made fun of didnt make a big deal out of it like the Muslims. I have nothing against them but this is our country and we have the right to "Freedom of speech". Plus if they were watching the show then they must like it. of course when its their religion that is portrayed, they are offended, so the right thing to do is to send death threats and cause all off this stupid drama. Its a freaking animated cartoon for crying out. Letting it bother you that much proves that they are insecure about their religion. So being violent and hateful is the only way to solve problem. how stupid.

April 22, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Joe

So now Islamic fundamentalists get to decide what I can and cannot see on American television. I guess they win then. Good job Comedy Central. Bunch of butt pirates.

April 22, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Susan

Interesting...You just aired a video of a woman who said we should be respectful of Islam. (Just after 11 p.m.)
    What a one-sided hypocrite she was. Interesting listening to her.
    The phrase "For God's sake" came disrespectfully tumbling out of her mouth as she babbled away.
    How about some respect for "God" along with her request for respecting "Muhammed." ??

April 22, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Grrr

Congratulations to whichever network gets to be the proud new home of South Park. The moment they're free of their current contract with com.cen., I'd imagine.

April 22, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  74. t

Comedy Central just make it clear what will happened to our "free speech". Too bad they gave up.

April 22, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Rick

Hmmm- and will they post the unedited version for us to view? Nope- they will pawn the blame off on Comedy Central when they are the ones who caved.

April 22, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  76. lucerot

I just drew a picture of Mohammed on a piece of paper and wiped my @ss with it.

April 22, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  77. lucerot

Why are Muslims such p ussies?

April 22, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  78. US Soldier

I think the Islamic extremeist are just trying to pick a fight. We live in America, the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. South Park has pointed out terrorism against media in the past in how it is wrong, I feel that what comedy central has done here is let the terrorist win.

If extremeist can stifle simple entertainment that they don't have to view, isn't openly malicious, what else will they stifle? It upsets me greatly that we are so fearfull and don't believe in standing up to these people who speak out against us as Americans.

I find it appauling that poeple can speak out in this manner and effect change in the name of religion like this, it is no different than racial intolerance. We don't hear Christains, Catholics, Mormons, and whatever else threatning in a manner that would warrent such action. I hate to be extreme myself but if these radicals in America don't like what we put on our airwaves, they get Get OUT!

April 22, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  79. fan in south dakota

I must say i'm not impressed with comedy central for this what so ever. i'm very into south park and was very disappointed to see these changes were made because of some group being offended. I mean really. its a cartoon. if you don't like it then don't watch it. I actually think its kinda funny that this group proved the stupid truth behind the same ongoing joke in this 2 part episode. MOHAMMED CAN'T BE POKED FUN AT WITHOUT SOME SORT OF INTOLERANT REACTION.

April 22, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Transformer

@Bobbie... your comments show how stupid you are... ignorant F***........... Get some real education..

April 22, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  81. mominnortheast

I think it's a shame that Comedy Central acted so cowardly. South Park is an equal opportunity insulter, and that's why it makes for such great social satire. Why haven't the authorities gone after the website, which has apparently exercised its freedom of speech by voicing a thinly veiled threat to the creators of South Park? Abhorrent.

April 22, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Luke

The old testament has strict laws about divorce, maybe we should start enforcing those too while we're at it.

April 22, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  83. CensorPoo

In the words of the almighty Cartman "Suck my ba$$s ...... CC."

April 22, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Bobbie

F*** Mohammad.

It's in the Koran: convert or die.

CC: Pu**ies

April 22, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  85. BIGGUY469

Are there any good Islamic people out there?I mean,i would be defending my God,but they are quite silent !!!!

April 22, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Kyle

SOUTH PARK RULES!

April 22, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Justin

I don't understand what is going on here. There have been far worse things that have been displayed on television, and much, much more controversial topics have been mocked in various comedy routines for as long as I can remember. George Carlin used to poke fun at the Christian God, yet I would be willing to bet that 80% or more of his audience was Christian, and out of those 80% probably another 80% laughed at the jokes. What difference would it have made if Matt and Trey would even have singled out and only made fun of the Muslim faith? This is just another brutal example of religious propaganda influencing our society in a negative manner. My question is, what would have been the outcome if the Christian community would have come out and protested Jesus being depicted as he is on the show? Nothing. Even if violence was threatened, I still have to think Comedy Central would do nothing about it because the fear of "terrorism" would not be present. This is all a joke. We need to stand up for what we believe in, and continue to fight to protect our right to freedom of speech. If not, we might as well all convert our religious beliefs and become Muslims now to save the time and effort.

And in response to Disgusted, this has nothing to do with directly disrespecting any particular group of people. If someone did indeed come directly onto my lawn and burn an American Flag, my only feeling would be that of respect that they stood for what they believed in and did not back down in the face of adversity. Sure, a part of me would be upset with the fact that I witnessed an event like that, but the bigger part of me, the part that understands that people should be able to do, say, and believe whatever they please would recognize that I have no right to tell someone how to think. If everyone took offense to everything anyone has a problem with, there would be no such thing as television, communities, or freedom. Have a great day.

April 22, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  88. kenny

They should do a full episode on Muhammad and the Muslim Religion.

=)

April 22, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Steve

Obviously some people don't have a sense of humor or perspective. People who find displaying Mohammed offensive can switch to another channel or move back to their country that has no rights of speech. This is a high level satire and never meant to be taken for anything other than great entertainment.

This is America, be proud to be different and insubordinate.

To those people who are severely radical and threaten violence, I make the following recommendations: Go bother Canada. FOAD.

April 22, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Sherri

To disgusted, you say you are proud that we have freedom of speech,yet you think this cartoon should be censored because it is offensive to Muslims. What ISN'T OFFENSIVE TO MUSLIMS?
    And here is something funny, they are a peaceful religion, and if you say otherwise they will have to kill you. Joke? Well, not really as this is what they WILL do. Please get the movie The Third Jihad and hear, in their own words, what they have planned for America. NO freedom of speech, clothes police, stonings etc. WAKE UP AMERICA!!

April 22, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Mike

"THE SILENCE FROM THE MODERATE MUSLIM COMMUNITY IS – as usual – UTTERLY DEAFENING" <– This

April 22, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  92. ThinkCritical

@Disgusted
    Are you really that upset over a little cartoon? Really? ....Really?
    A cartoon like that has that much power over you? Really? Really?

April 22, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Avi

What happened to free speech? We need to defend ourselves from threats like this!

April 22, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Bill

Death to the Infidels and free speech!

April 22, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Pie in the Sky

Religion is the root of all evil.
    We see it over and over again every day
    This is just another example.
    These fanatics are offended by comedy
    Well, I am offended by their nonsense
    Get a grip on reality you losers !

April 22, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Disgusted

I think it is disgusting what little respect you have for another person's religion. Depicting the Prophet Mohammed to Muslims is like someone literally walking into a Christian Church and burning the Holy Bible, or like walking onto your front lawn and burning the American Flag. It is exponentially offensive to Muslims to depict the Prophet and something not easy for those of other religions to understand. To not try to understand makes you completely ignorant.

Yes, this is America and I am very proud of the fact that we have the freedom to say whatever we want. It is an amazing privilege. But just because we have that freedom, doesn't mean that as Americans we should deliberately disrespect another religion.

I don't condone that Muslim organization that sent threats, or any terrorist actions for that matter. To me this is a situation that is about respect for other humans and not about giving into terrorists.

April 22, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Happy Jack

The best part of all of this is the loud mouth &^&#%^#%^ person from revolutionmuslim.com has been taken down webste and the phone number is disconnected, BUT blogspot.com still has it up and it is racist and should be sued and any kind of syop to induce fear is a federal crime, Call your senator and congressman or women and call the FBI and Immigration and IRS for criminal use of money by a charity to provide terrortist activities under federal Hate Crimes and Civil Right Violations, and demand all Writers Tech Owners any contributors be rounded up and arrested immediately, anything less Obama should be on TV with announcement HOW HE WILL DEAL WITH REAL ... NEW HATE CRIME BLOGING by MUSLIM supporting syop warfare, which is LOW GRADE WAR, new hate crime with words, not free speech, free speech is expressing a point, not saying hate words are my new criminal civil right violation.

April 22, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Ligaya

Maybe just maybe and we didnt know it yet Comedy Central is Muslim (secretly).

April 22, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Jezmundberserker

I agree with OhioTruth. I consider myself a freethinker and consider all religions to be nonsense. That's the reason why I consider this censorship to be abhorrent. Why was it ok for South Park to attack every religion (even Scientology) but it's not ok to mock Islam? Are we in Saudi Arabia or are we in the US? Show the episode with no censorship. If anyone dares to react negatively to it, may the full weight of the law fall upon them.

April 22, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Eric C

Ok, I just have to say, the picture that is at the top of this article is cracking me up! Mel Gibson's head, I cant stop laughing. LOL

As far as the comments go here, I have to agree, it is pretty sad that CC will allow every other religion to be mocked in South Park, but when it comes to the ever so precious Muhammad...don't show that one! Whatever.

I think what we should do is all change any avatar we have, for any blog, comment post, etc., to a picture of Muhammad.

April 22, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Michael

Once again, the terrorists win. Have some guts Comedy Central. You think Muslims actually watch South Park anyway?

"Sacred cow makes the best hamburger." -Mark Twain

April 22, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Monroe

They (Comedy Central) sure dont have a problem airing full episodes of characters depicting other religious leaders such as Jesus. This is wrong.

April 22, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Ridiculous

THE SILENCE FROM THE MODERATE MUSLIM COMMUNITY IS – as usual – UTTERLY DEAFENING. What a joke.

April 22, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Jzone

Episode 201 was a disgrace. Radicals threatened violence and we respond by obeying and censoring as they wish.

I thought this was America.

Such censorship on freedom of speech is a tragedy...

April 22, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  105. BG

This will just encourage these cretins to demand more and more. Ironically enough, reminiscent of an old Arab proverb: "Don't let the camel's nose into the tent"–because the rest of the camel will follow.

Giving these grotesques an inch means they will take a mile. We had better decide when and how we are going to draw the line. It had better be soon and hard. France and Belgium are starting with their anti-burqa laws. The rest of the West needs to start knocking these fanatics down. Every which way possible.

April 22, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  106. MacGriffs

Interesting, Comedy Central seems to have proved the point about intimidation and fear. But I wonder what was so dangerous & offensive about the message in Kyle's final speech that they had to bleep the whole thing.

April 22, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Bob

May they all burn in pig fat at the hands of some non-existent imaginary ancient being!!!!!!!!!!!

April 22, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Austin Schultz

Hello! I believe we have a right to free speech. This is America, and we have the right to say whatever we want! And also, every other religion in the world is mocked worldwide everyday by everyone, but if one person mocks Muhammad, then they get bombed? It makes no sense! Then, therefore, don't we have the right to defend ourselves just like how Muslims defend their prophet, Muhammad? We have rights to say and express ourselves in which ever way we please! This is America! Comedy Central, you have to show Muhammad! We have a right to free speech and when you censor out images or human figures, it totally is diminishing our right. Yes, i know, terrorism is real and it is dangerous, but when you buy into that, your letting the terrorist groups win. You can't just do what they say just because they are threatening you with violence. And yes, I know, hundreds of millions of lives are at risk, but you have to see what your doing is the right thing because if we show Muhammad on South Park, then we are saying to the terrorist and the extremist that we believe that a person should have the Freedom of Speech. Trust me! Every time someone censors anything that could be offensive towards others off of a movie or TV show is diminishing our rights. Think about it. We have the right to express ourselves in what ever way we want and your not using the right that you have. You should be thankful. Not many countries in the world give you many rights. You have one that is very important, so be thankful for it and use it! Thank you for listening.

April 22, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Tim S

Shame on Comedy Central! This isn't ABC.... it's cable.... pay to view... Cow-toeing to religious wing nuts is just another sign of P.C. taken too far. Don't back down Matt & Trey.

April 22, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Susan

Comedy Central, I am very sad to see you bow down to this so called Revolution Muslim gang. How could you, why would you hide behind that bleep and censorship sign? Are you going to let this gang of hypocritical misfits dictate how you should run a show?? Really??

April 22, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  111. richie orris

This isnt really anything new. Mat and Trey bust there asses twice as hard because they delay work time to keep up with current events. I am proud of them for not backing down when threats and slander are made. The fact that they stick to their guns each time is why south park will live in honor forever

April 22, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Andrey D

It really is a shame. I can't believe that Comedy Central of all places would buckle under isolated pressure like this. It's amazing how seemingly one hate-filled website that threatens them with physical violence under the guise of "religion" is enough to cause a large cable network to fold like wet bread.

Even if you don't agree with what South Park says, the mere fact that this is protected speech and Comedy Central still didn't stand up to these bigots is just plain disgusting...

Sad times Sad times.... :(

April 22, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Penguin Man

All this goes to show is how gutless comedy central and viacom are. The creators of south park were basically trying to show these fanatics that all their threats will get them no where. And that in the US freedom of speech is one of our core beliefs. I applaud these two brave individuals for standing up and saying no to threats and intimidation tactics. And shame on comedy central for letting these extremists bully them into quiet submission.

April 22, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  114. OhioTruth

So it is okay to playfully mock every other religion, race, sterotype, etc., but dare not offend Islam? Comedy Central, show that episode uncensored and prove that this is STILL AMERICA, damn it, where we can say ANYTHING WE WANT ABOUT ANY TOPIC WE CHOOSE. I just hope they have not set a precedent.

April 22, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  115. SoCalT

What I get from this, at least implied by Matt and Trey, is that they too where disappointed with their network Comedy Central for the censoring actions that where taken. They are suggesting in this press release that they can't really stand behind this most recent episode as it was put to air.

So sad, I think for Matt and Trey. I applaud them for what they attempted to do last night.

April 22, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Eric C

Really? People just need to get off their little religious soapboxes.

April 22, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Domeski

Where's the respect for man kind. I understand judging out own native religions, but extending to those overseas... Either way what I'm saying boils down to the same continent(s) of birth in religion. But to obtrusively overstep those boundries just for media press is SHAMELESS PROMOTION, which is the hard of Stone and Parker get from being lied to their entire life about the truth behind Mormonism. But now I have added to the conflict by defacing their religion, which is what they want. In my opinion, South Park has had its run, crossed all boundaries, and created havoc and chaos against America. Yet who is profiting from these empires? THE CREATORS AND NETWORKS. Well congratulations "America" and the land of Free Speech... You've created a bigger issue towards the war at hand. Everyone needs to grow up and act respectively between all nations, in order to create world peace for a just cause. Yet I'm going to be called a "GOD DAMN HIPPY" for speaking my mind now. Thanks South Park for demoralizing America's faith and youth. Laugh away as the world begins to collapse. I hope you and BP can team up to help rebuild a broken planet.

June 3, 2010 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |