April 21st, 2010

When 'Glee' met Madonna

testing captions
testing captions

I have to reiterate my Facebook status from Tuesday night: “Glee” + Madonna = Perfection.

The long anticipated homage to Madge was well worth the wait with spectacular musical numbers, hilarious dialogue and the “will they or won’t they” simultaneous scenarios with Rachel and Jessie, Santana and Finn and Will and Emma.

“The Power of Madonna” had it all. Culture references (WWMD – What Would Madonna Do?) plenty of snarkiness from Coach Sue Sylvester towards Will and the genius moment when students dressed as the various incarnations of Madonna wandered the halls.

This ensemble cast is so great that you want everyone to have equal time and I am so happy that the characters of Santana, Brittany, Artie and Tina are getting more air time.

And speaking of breaking out, how about Kurt and Mercedes joining the Cheerios? I loved their “makeover” of Sue for the “Vogue” video and their performance of “4 minutes” with the band was sooooo good!

As always, the music was a co-star and you can’t really go wrong with the songs of Madonna. Rachel’s voice on “Like A Prayer” almost rivaled the original.

Now that’s how you pull off a theme night. Did you catch that “American Idol?”

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television

1. Carol

Watched for the first time this week because NCIS was in re-runs and had loved the Madonna promos. It was highly entertaining for people who love music, theatre, dance (of all ages) and I'll set my DVR for it going forward. Glee isn't meant to be a thought-provoking study of adolescent development – get a grip and change the channel if you don't like it. I'm a 50-ish mom and believe the topics are too mature for pre-teens. Let them stick with Hannah Montana.

April 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Maryann Rose - Orlando FL

BTW – I never, ever, ever post comments on a blog of a show that I hate.

I keep wondering why others do it, and then, ironically, tell others to 'get a life' or some such nonsense.

Don't you realize how stupid you look?

April 22, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. Maryann Rose - Orlando FL

I love, love, love this show!

I hate, hate, hate FOX for allowing the ridiculous AI show to run long.

I'm miffed at those who thought this was a bad episode – some people 'get' GLEE and some people don't.

I guess it's not for everybody, just those who want a change from the normal TV fare, which I find boring and predictable for the most part.

April 22, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  4. MilwWI

I wanted Glee to go on for another hour on Tuesday – what a great hour of entertainment! Glee is full of talent, fun and a really good time.

April 22, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. hp

Somewhere....in the English countryside, Madonna is weeping........with tears of JOY!! That episode was amazing. It was funny, dramatic, and had great music. There are not enough creative shows like that anymore. GLEE is the whole package. There is some bad acting, but it adds to the humor of the show.

April 22, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sher

I'm a total Gleek, but didn't like last episode as much as previous ones. The show had it's moments, but part of the fun was watching the innocence of the main characters. I mean wasn't it the funniest when Quinn convinced Finn that she got pregnant by him when they never did anything? I love the sweetness to it that was pushing the envelope last episode. And, I prefer to hear music from different artist each week. This episode wasn't my favorite, but I still love the show!!

April 22, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dan Palmer

No, I didn't catch $%@# American Idol, but #$%$ American Idol caught me. It ran several minutes over and so my DVR cut out right in the middle of the last number of Glee.

April 22, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. hec

Love the show..hate Madonna.
    Lea's incredible voice was wasted on lame songs.

April 22, 2010 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. cbmcleod

I have been a little disappointed in the new season so far.

April 22, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ray

Loved the show. The best yet.. Love Glee and Madonna..

April 22, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. Al

The episode was so good, It's my favorite so far. I had goosebumps during "Like a Virgin" and I had tears welling in my eyes when they sang "Like a Prayer." Excellent job!

April 21, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Elizabeth

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! I am such a Gleek :)

April 21, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ryan R.

2 Words: Utterly Fabulous

April 21, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. R

This show is great and nutty and you never know where it's going to go! Like a combination Ugly Betty, The Vampire Diaries and American Idol (if all the singers were good).

April 21, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mguy

Santana is so hot!

April 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jeanel

I have to Tivo Glee so I can watch it once, sing along a second time and then laugh again at the great writing and jokes. Hope this show has legs and is around for a few more seasons.

April 21, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Stefanie G.

Loved it. After the show I clicked onto itunes and downloaded Madonna songs!!

April 21, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. mac

I am a Season1 fan. Dissapointed with the way the story is going. Expected more after the long break hope the writers wake up. Talent wise the energy level is where it is suppose to be. So whats next after the Madonna theme? Hope it doesnt become theme based night after night..

April 21, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mushymushroom

I am partly impressed with last night's episode, but it was good enough not making me change the channel...

Good points:
    1. Sue's vogue video is funny especially when she sang/rap "Will Schuester I hate you" that was hilarious!
    2. Sue picking on Will's hair!
    3. Great rendition of "What it feels like to be a girl" and the last song they performed was great...!
    4. Mercedes and Kurt on Cheerios..! They totally rock..!

Bad Points
    1. Too much Rachel and Finn
    2. The Finn/Santana moment are a little forced
    3. The other Glee members stil don't have at least a single line.

April 21, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Ashley

I've already downloaded the music from last night! It's amazing!!! I love it so much!

April 21, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Michael

I have watched Glee from the first show, hated the break. Loved last night show!!, There isn't anything about Glee not to love. Can't wait to see it next week, the week after and the week after that. Awesome show!

April 21, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Brian

Was a Glee virgin until last night. Really, the ONLY reason I watched it is because I'm a HUGE Madonna fan. Don't think I'll be watching it again. WAY too cheesey. Felt like I was watching High School Musical (barf!) & an after school special...
    Ugh!

Good job on giving madge the props she deserves, though!

April 21, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. mbsugu

I Mb.sugu of MGM
    i am very young guy i was born in 24.12.1984 in magumeri L.G.A.But actualy i was left to frang fourd Germany.because of i was EMBRASTED BY ONE OF MY GIRL FREND more so i did not want to se that young girl with some want I dont whant her to remember that make hay while the run shenes. But let her thing that forewarned is forewarned also NEVER SAY DIE

April 21, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. fishel

Is madonna really a blond? See the July 1985 issue of Playboy to find oyt.

April 21, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  25. TV

CNN will just keep censoring me people. Americans quit your fantastical role playing... I can't explain anything on this comment b/c they don't want you to know the truth. Please guys, research how the democrats and republicans are the same. Google the capital words here – FALSE democrat LEFT republican RIGHT federal reserve PARADIGM main stream media... You are being brainwashed

April 21, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kelley

Last night was the first time we heard Santana belt it out (when she was signing opposite Finn in Like a Virgin). That chick can sing, and I hope she gets a solo soon! Although Michelle Lea (Rachel) has an incredible voice, we've heard it, and she sings nearly every song each episode. I'd love to see more Santana, Puck, Trish, Artie, and KURT!!!!

April 21, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Chaz

watched ! first time watching ! hated it ! love madonna !

April 21, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Duane

In this day and age it is unbelieveable that people feel that they need to bash a show. With dvr's available, watch it first, then see if it is exceptable for someone to watch. It was supposed to be entertaining, and it was, if you don't like......DON'T WATCH IT!

April 21, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Bigfan

I was roaring...Brittany is hallarious, "Well, sometimes I can't remember my middle name." AND "I think my cat is reading my diary." Now who thinks of stuff like this! LOL Goooooo Gleeeeee

April 21, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Tracey

Mrs. Fizzy, the part where Sue said she was 29 was a joke. It was pretty funny actually.

April 21, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  31. sjcdccbjc

If GLEE is going to forsake its storyline for additional musical numbers, I'm out as a fan. While Sue has never been subtle, her depiction in last night's script was way too far over the top. Jokes about hair product can only go so far, and frankly, I think she was out of character with all the added nonsense. I absolutely hated last night's episode. Actually, the story is falling kind of flat as well, so maybe they should just turn it into a variety show until cancellation.

April 21, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Nicole

Glee is one of those shows that a person like myself, who loves and enjoys music and the performing arts, just loves! Yes at times it can be cheesy, and a little over the top, but it makes me have more of a drive to achieve my dreams! Woot woot!

April 21, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Tim

This show is about as bad as it gets on TV. What is so great about showing a bunch of High School kids hopping in bed with each other? This pretty much goes along with all of the other garbage that is being pushed down America's throats... wake up!

April 21, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Danielle D

I LOVE GLEE! THE BEST PERFORMANCE WAS LIKE A PRAYER!!! I HAVE BEEN A BIG FAN SINCE IT STARTED! I HAVE THEIR CDS AND THE DVD. I WILL BE SEEING THEM ON MAY 16,2010 IN PHOENIX, AZ! i WISH I COULD LET MY DAUGHTER WATCH IT THOUGH.

April 21, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Loving it in Florida

I watched the first Glee because I'd read good reviews and because I was in high school show choir in the early '80s. I was curious. I'd say that, before the halfway point of the debut, I was totally hooked. Haven't watch one episode that I didn't love. (And I'm not a teen or a gay guy.) DVR'ed the Madonna episode last night and I know I'll love it too. (Thank God I always add couple of minutes to the end of the recording time!)

April 21, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Cree

I personally think Glee is hilarious.

April 21, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  37. KIM

This show is fabulous! I find myself smiling the whole time it is on! My older daughter had never watched and I bought her the DVD set for her birthday and she loves it! I think this is a show for all ages but some references may be too much for younger tweens~ But I hope this show never ends!

April 21, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Pam

If you are a newly inducted Gleek, catch up on what's been going on with my Gleecaps @ http://www.aprincessandabasketcase.blogspot.com

: )

April 21, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Shocked

I was mistaken that this show was family friendly. My young girls were watching as we have been told that it is a great show and they wanted to see and hear the music numbers. Wow, were we shocked to see that the theme of this show was who would lose their virginity first... How utterly shocking to my girls, we turned it off halfway through. Was this really necessary?? I will not watch again.

April 21, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mike

I DVR'd Glee because i have to see Lost, but when I watched it, I loved teh show! First time I had seen it, will definitely watch it again. A lot of thise Madonna songs I hadn't heard in awhile, definitely good to hear them again. Wonder if Madonna watched?

April 21, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Dina

I watched the show for the first time since it was about Madonna, my idol for twenty years, and I absolutely loved the well deserved tribute. The Vogue number was hillarious! I'm hooked to Glee now....

April 21, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  42. lynn

I am shocked at how many people drink the cool aid! I'm in the music Industry and love music but can NOT believe this show has made it!
    I just don't get it at all...over the top...no purpose....just kids singing other peoples songs...what's going on in America! It's a huge Broadway show geared for White bred Americans...nothing cultural or international about it...wake up there's a world out there!

April 21, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Donna B

What an awsome show and I am so looking forward to next weeks show. Will Neil Patrick Harris ever be on Glee????

April 21, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  44. minxiewinksie

Best line of the night: "Mercedes is Black, I'm Gay. We make a culture." GENIUS!!!

April 21, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Tanman

The only thing that would have made the episode perfect was a cameo of MADONNA! Maybe one day? Glee is the new Will & Grace.

April 21, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Donna

i figured out what i like about this show – just like my favorite radio stations....more singing then jabbering. i love it every week but last night was awesome

April 21, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  47. ScrapSupply

I heard its great!
    CHECK OUT

April 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  48. bighulawood

We look forward to GLEE each week and it never disappoints. I thought (on first viewing) that *maybe* the Madonna theme was a little over the top and overly-ambitious of them. But after re-watching the episode I've changed my mind. It's a fun, campy, and spot on "HoMadge".

April 21, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Matt Bowman

I would not agree. I loved glee volume 1. I am a huge huge fan. It seems that they did a great job developing a story and characters and this volume they are killing the mood. Its not the same and they have gone overboard on the characters personalities...destroying what they built up. I miss old glee.

ex. Sue's comments about Will's hair is out of control and its not that funny.

they lost the community they had.

April 21, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  50. ernesto bozzletalk

I got soo upset back in the 90s when Madonna came into my Precious Moments shop and during a spontaneous session of VOGUE, she elbowed a figurine off the shelf and broke it. Then she left without paying for it!!
    I later found out that was my my estranged cross dressing uncle Ralph, but still...if she hadn't inspired him, that figurine would be intact today.

April 21, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Rob

Tal-Get a life. I mean really! It's a TV show. Take it for what it is. There is no need to get all PC.

April 21, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  52. ernesto bozzletalk

I later found out that my my estranged cross dressing uncle Ralph, but still...if she hadn't inspired him, that figurine would be intact today.

April 21, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Rob

Phyl-You must be living on a different planet than the rest of us. Madonna is a living legend and icon. Her music is amazingly timeless. I think the fact that Madonna has successfully spanned three decades and remains a relevant force in music speaks for itself.

April 21, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Tal

That was one of the most disturbing things to ever hit TV. To glorify the abuse both mentally and physically by the character of Sue Sylvester towards children is disgusting. When she threw the kids against the lockers it made me ill to watch. The abuse of these kids by this character is just wrong. Its all wrapped up to make everyone laugh – yet child abuse is not a laughing matter. This show is teaching kids that it is okay if adults abuse you. Then to have the principal tell her she is a powerful woman like Madonna was too much. Sue is a weak child abuser.

April 21, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  55. madgewouldapprove

Right, A, which is why you watched and clicked on this article! hi-larious!

April 21, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Miguel in NY

In 2003, the New York Times said Madonna was no longer relevant. Well, they are sooo wrong! Madonna's Sticky & Sweet tour grossed over $400 million, her CD/DVD of the tour is #10 on the Billboard album charts, she reportedly got $30 million for her Dolce & Gabbana sunglass campaign and $25 million for Glee to use her songs! Madonna still rocks!

April 21, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  57. LADYGODIVA85

I just love the show and at first didn't even realize that was Sue doing the vogue. This is a great show for me as it relaxes me and makes me laugh and forget about the real world and it's not a reality show.

April 21, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Cynthia

Jane Lynch ...Perfection!!!!!

April 21, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Michael S

I have been a huge fan of Glee since the pilot. For those of us who work in and around musical theater, this show is a godsend. Almost like Fame for a different generation. That being said, last nights episode was actually one of my least favorites..... for about the first 15 minutes. It started off a little rediculous. I love Sue, she's one of my favorites on the show. To be honest, the thing I like most about her is the fact that she is so over the top snarky. I thought the reference to her sister a few episodes ago was brilliant, but honestly, thats all I need to hear of it. Other than that, last nights episode redeemed itself. The like a virgin sequence was brilliant, as were Mercedes and Kurt. Wasn't quite as impressed with Like a Prayer, as it was just a rehash of the original video, minus the black Jesus character.....

April 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Michael

i think that last night's episode was one of the most amazing hours of TV this year. It was awful when the last 2 minutes of "Just Like A Prayer" got cut off – thankfully, I was able to see the whole clip this morning – it was my favorite song from last night's show! http://thesmogger.com/2010/04/21/gleecap-the-power-of-madonna/

April 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  61. GayGlee

What a bunch of "Madonnas" ! All the guys are gay on Glee.

April 21, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jen S.

OMG! The episode was awesome....if you didnt like it, then you are not a true Glee fan. The singing, music and funny dialog was superb!. Love the show! Well done, cant wait til next week.

April 21, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  63. GleeFan

I love Glee! It is the gayest show on TV. If that bothers you, don't watch it

April 21, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Beth

I've been a fan of Glee since the first show. Last night was great and I love the Madonna songs!

April 21, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  65. TL

I watched for the first time last night. I was more concerned with the content and the age groups that watch it. It was more of an adult show with teenagers acting out as grown ups in their actions.

April 21, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Glee NOT for kids

Sue says she lets her 9-year old watch Glee. How do you explain the reference in the first few minutes to "MILF"?

April 21, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  67. ckav

LOVE LOVE LOVE Glee!!! Have watched from the beginning, and am glad to finally see other people get more air time. I love Santana, and Brittney cracks me up. Kurt & Mercedes ruled as Cheerios last night, but I'd like to see more of Tina & Artie. Artie's voice rocks, and he should totally have more solos. Sue Silvester is the most sarcastic character to ever rule the airwaves. I'll watch this over Deadliest Catch any week (my husband's choice).

April 21, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Christian (like Dior)

Last night was the first time I watched "Glee", and let me tell you...I was hooked by the first commercial break! I don't know if it is because I enjoyed the Madonna songs, or if it was the 3 glasses of wine I had prior to wathcing so I could forget about the horrible day I had. I'm hoping the momentum continues and this was not a flook. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have a Prince episode...that would be the BEST! I am such a fan of Prince, and I've already got a storyline that would fit with the music :)

As far as the comments go about it being "risque" and not safe to have children watching...get over yourselves. Someone already mentioned this, but to reiterate, the show is not meant for 13 or below. This is def a PG-13 show. How about doing some parenting yourselves and stop letting the tube do it for you. Gosh, this "issue" is one of the most pressing issues facing our country today...STEP UP and take control of your children and household. STOP blaming it on other people.

On a lighter note, GO GLEE!!!!!!!

April 21, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  69. PooPooPlatter

I don't get that show. Plus the "kids" look like they are in college, not in highschool.. sheesh..

April 21, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Jeff

I agree its too much for the kids. If you like musicals, try watching Bollywood movies instead. They are similar to this, but 100% family friendly.

April 21, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  71. mtebo

For the technically challenged. Your DVR probably has a setting in your record options that allows you to start recording earlier and stop later than the published time slot. Now you don't have to miss those precious final moments when the nasty idol folks are too full of themselves.

April 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Tracy

Also a Glee virgin until last night. LOVE IT!!! Did anyone else think Finn was a hottie drumming away like that? When he threw the drumsticks and ran after Rachel I knew I was in love.

April 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  73. BARRY LEVICH

GLEE IS BRILLIANT!
    it is now an icon for THE BEST in entertainment on television
    this new show has RAISED THE BAR for other networks and
    has certainly demolished AMERICAN IDOL!
    GLEE is a smash......the casting is 'on target' / the savy and
    smart ways political and social issues are handled...and the
    savy attention to musical culture....is in a class of it's own!
    GLEE is outdistancing AMERICAN IDOL/ and the class act
    'talent' on GLEE ........makes AMERICAN IDOL look like
    amateur night!
    THE writers/ directors and performers of GLEE.....have finally
    brought something 'sensational' and memorable to the
    television audiences
    WOW!
    I AM 'MORE' than impressed with this outstanding HIT!!!

April 21, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Rob

It's so nice to see that so many new people tuned in last night. Obviously the power of Madonna is undeniable.

April 21, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  75. JT Seattle

Oh my god, you silly people. Idol isn't running long because it wants to, Idol is running long because FOX does it intentionally. Why do people have such a tough time understanding this? Idol is the top rated show on television. Advertising rates on Idol bring in way more money to the network than advertising rates on Glee. So, Idol will run long, because, any money made on Idol after 9pm brings in more revenue than if Glee started right at 9. That is the only reason tv shows "run long" these days, is so the network can get extra advertising dollars from the more popular show. Don't blame Idol. Blame FOX. FOX makes the decision.

April 21, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Martha Lefever

Fabulous Show! As for age demographic you would be amazed to know that I am 65, love the show, and watch with my four grandgirls. All my same age friends watch and enjoy good writing, music and characters. It is ageless if you ever had a life.

April 21, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Victoria

I AGREE!! GLEE is SO AWESOME... American Idol totally robbed us from seeing the ending of GLEE!!! REALLY American Idol REALLY!!

April 21, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Kelli

everyone complaining about Kurt, Mercedes etc. not getting more air time – obviously that is part of the show last night. Them complaining that they want more solos...joining the cheerios...it's the new story line I'm sure either thought of by the writers a while ago or thought of due to the fans complaints.

April 21, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  79. J

I heart Glee!
    Phenomenal show last night. Madonna episode was awesome.

As far as letting 11 year olds and younger watch the show, would you rather them watch something so "risque" in your home and have the opportunity to talk about it, or would you rather it be done in someone else's home and let their friend's parents talk to them about it? Because I can garentee you that kids are sneaky and will watch it whether you parents think you know what they are doing 100% of the time or not. And don't think for one minute that these kids aren't seeing/hearing any of what Glee has put on their shows – if not worse – in schools or from friends.

April 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Steve

I thought the writing wasn't that great. They need a better script and frankly the characters are forgettable. Enjoyed the Madonna songs but think this show is over-hyped. Don't see what is so special.

S

April 21, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  81. lyrker

I liked the Kurt n Mercedes on the Cheerios squad – they both rocked the outfits! Although doesn't this make Kurt the most ambitious Gleek in school? He's on the football team, the Cheerios, and the Glee Club. Go Kurt!

Glee is a *great* way to promote contemporary music and get folks engaged in the retro stuff as well. It'll be interesting to see where they go with the music -and- the subplots. Best show since Buffy the Vampire Slayer, IMO.

April 21, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Michael in Boston

Fantastic, and I'm been humming Madonna songs all day. Let's face it, this show is not to be taken seriously, so of these writers need to lighten up. This is a Gilligan's island. A simple plot, highschool background and great writers and singers. some good music for itunes sales, and some great 1 liners. This is what they call entertainment, and I for one enjoy the fact I've found a show that makes me laugh.

April 21, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Kathy

Every male tomcat within New Jersey was out last night scoring with all of the females – wait, that was the singing in GLEE! My bad!

April 21, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  84. PhillyRET

Bonsaso, have to disagree ... best Brittany line was:
    "I went to a misogynist when I pulled my hamstring."

April 21, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  85. tina

My husband and I love Glee, and so do all of our kids (we are in our 50's and they are all in their 20's). All of us have been involved in high school and/or community theatre so it just makes sense that we would love the show. It's so entertaining, funny, poignant, if somewhat unrealistic (can you imagine being friends with the girl you just broke up with or the guy who fathered your girlfriend's baby!) At any rate, I haven't seen an episode I didn't thoroughly enjoy! And I love the new guy, Jesse!

April 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  86. ana

FANTASTIC, BEST SHOW ON TV IN VERY LONG TIME, CANNOT
    WAIT FOR FUTURE EPISODES

April 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Anne

I agree with Liz, they need to focus on some of the other students as well, getting tired of all of Rachel's solos

April 21, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  88. squirrel

glee sux

April 21, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  89. paige19

Im wondering about this New Jessie Fella... His he playing Rachel or did he really quit the other team to be with her... Hmmm. and Fin....I cant believe he actually went through with it.. Wowwie. Ready for next week!!

April 21, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  90. aaron

perfection! glee is my new favorite show.
    agree w/ mark in nyc.

April 21, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Agom sunday okpe

Its lovel. . . . . .y and i wil want 2 b in touch.am anticipating to c wat next

April 21, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  92. hello world

Can the author of this review salivate a little more over Glee? It's such a stupid show! I can't stand Rachel and her nose, for 1 thing. She's the most annoying actress on TV. Actually, the entire cast is dorky.

Well, it's simple, so there's the hook for a lot of people like Lisa Respers France. Not much to think about, just 'happy music' and a stupid plot line for idiots.

April 21, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Bry

Was a Glee Virgin til last night.....LOVED IT!

April 21, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  94. mediamyth

Once I hurt my hamstring and I had to go to a misogynist...that was my favorite line of the night!

April 21, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Garry-Arkansas

I have wanted to watch this show since it started, but something always got in the way.
    I watched last night and LOVED it..to funny, to hip and right on the mark for Madonna fans!
    Excellant performances by all...kudo's to FOX

April 21, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Music Lover

To a person who wrote "Glee is a great show–if you're a teen-aged girl or a gay man. For the rest of humanity, we couldn't care less." You are an idiot!... I am an 34 yr woman, who is married and have 2 kids; and I love this show 'Glee'. You sound like a very racist person. I hope you won't have children because your children who are raised by you will bring nothing but hate to this world...

April 21, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  97. julie

I hate to say it, but as a loyal Glee fan...I was disapointed. Seems like they just tried to cram as many songs as possible into one episode and ignored the plotlines. The best part was DEFINITELY the simultaneous renditions of "Like a Virgin". Very smart AND cute!

Biggest fail: Like a Prayer. I love the song but it didn't seem to fit in with the plot at all and was just sort of thrown in.

Excited for next week!

April 21, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  98. mark in nyc

watched for the first time last nite.
    the show is genius, brilliant, well ahead of any other sitcom.

April 21, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  99. ADD,DD,DD

Never seen the show but wonders, what next? Cher, Liza, Donna Summers, or maybe Gaga, Spears, Aguilera....what about..... Ricky Martin or maybe Elton.... ah.... the possibilities are endless, aren't they......

April 21, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Joe

Glee is a great show–if you're a teen-aged girl or a gay man.
    For the rest of humanity, we couldn't care less.

April 21, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  101. jen

This was my first time to watch the show, I did not know anything about it beforehand, so when it was Madonna's music, it was a real surprise. I will watch this show again.........

April 21, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Bonsaso

Best Brittany line "I think my cat is reading my diary."

April 21, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Phyl

Way overrated, for a way overrated & over the hill Madonna.

April 21, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Clinton

I didn't think it was the best episode of Glee, but it had its moments. I think that concentrating on a single artist pushed around the characters in odd ways, which didn't always make sense. Still, the show is always worth a watch.

April 21, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Shelley

The intended demographics for this show per Fox is 18-29, the secondary demographic group even older. This was never intended to be or marketed as a show for young children or even tweens.

April 21, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  106. MrsFizzy

Overall it was great fun... critics, you can't take it too seriously because outside of the performances, well, it is in general kind of lightweight... And the performances were brilliant. I was almost sorry that they had already shown the Vogue number last week, but it was still great fun. But did anyone hear when Sue was telling Kurt and Mercedes that Madonna (don't remember which song) had come out when she was SIX?? (or was it 16?!) And they said so that would make you 30 and she said 29. I like Jane but even 30 is really stretching it. Maybe that was intentional(??) Details...

April 21, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Donna

I LOVED every minute of the show last night.

April 21, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  108. rportia

boring, tedious, horrible, except "what would Madonna do?" good for a couple of chuckles...the rest worthless... My first and last time watching this stupid show.

April 21, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Sam

Entertainment Weekly reports that they're in talks for ANOTHER Madonna episode next season and I can't wait. I'd love to see them take on Into the Groove, Hung Up, Take a Power, Holiday, Power of Goodbye, Don't Tell Me, Music or countless other hits. Madonna's backcatalog is absolutely remarkable and she has more GREAT hits then any other female artist in music history (and a more expansive catalog then even her male counterparts MJ and Prince). The Madonna episode was one of the best hours of TV I've seen in years.

April 21, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  110. sib

millie – it's not that early, this is PART 2 to their first season. They already have a tour, two albums and a full DVD set out on sale. This is not early at all... glee is going nowhere

April 21, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Courtney

I've been ridiculously in love with Glee ever since the very beginning. I think it's fantastic, over-the-top, and cheesy – it's perfect!

I'm a little disappointed that the same characters (Rachel, Finn, Will) are the only ones getting real air time. Back at the beginning of the show they seemed to do a better job of encompassing all the characters (one of my favorites being Kurt and the football team) and giving them interesting story lines. I mean, I know that Rachel and Finn are the "lead" kids, but I hate seeing the other kids in the background just occasionally nodding or saying one line. I'm afraid the show could become boring if they don't offer more variety.

April 21, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  112. D

Quinn sang Papa Don't Preach earlier in the season. Would have been pointless for her to do it again.

April 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  113. rose

Loved the part "will Smith I hate you" she is so funny.

April 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Brooke

LOL Tom from Long Beach... you're a dweeb dude. Like the great Flight of the Conchords would say "be more constructive with your feedback".

How come every negative comment I see on here is poorly constructed and usually done in a way that makes them sound like bigger nerds than us gleeks (which... I didn't think was possible). XD

I thought this episode was done extremely well, the part with Like A Virgin was especially the highlight of the eipsode for me, I thought Will and Emma's back and forth was romantic and lovely. I think this show just gets better and better. Also... NICE to see Kurt change it up a little and sing something out of the broadway genre. He's probably my favorite person on the show so anytime a smaller cast member gets to share the spot light I'm happy.

April 21, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  115. lee

Loved Kurt & Mercedes. Loved Like a Prayer. Ticked off at American Idol for going long and making my Tivo cut out the last two minutes of the episode.

April 21, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  116. PB from DC

I think they should do a Weird Al show. Make the kids come up with their own spoofs.

Stinger – Quinn sang Papa don't preach on earlier episode when she was babysitting with Puck

April 21, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  117. justBetsy

Idol has already stated that they expect to go over tonight–Ryan Seacrest advised folks to "set your dvrs accordingly". Easy fix–cut out all the backstage crap and flashbacks to previous shows. Just get to the singing. And drop Ryan's silly hijinks with Simon!
    The Amazing Race show always goes over too–cuts into the start of Undercover Boss.

April 21, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Rainchyld

Quinn already sang Papa Don't Preach, why would she need to sing it again?

April 21, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Stinger

Anyone think they missed an opportunity for Quinn to sing Papa Don't Preach – I was totally expecting that.

April 21, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  120. ddubbya

Last night was the first full episode of this show I have ever watched. I was impressed with the singing abilities of the actors (if that is really their voices).

The Madonna theme was amusing. Some of those songs I haven't heard in a while and brought back memories.

If last night was any indication of what kind of program this is, my poor little DVR is in trouble.

April 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Tom, Long Beach, California

they both suck!

April 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  122. lane

Good, but if I heard the name Madonna one more time I would have screamed. Seriously I got the point that it was all about Madonna within the first 5 minutes, they didn't have to continue to say it at every possible chance.

April 21, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Teresa

i am a proud GLEEK! I don't let my 11 year old 5th grader watch it though. Yes, I may be a dinosaur of a mom, but it does get very risque. I boycotted idol already this year...and I just happened to se on FB that idol was running over so called home to have them set DVR for next show. SOOOO GLAD that I did!!!! I CAN'T WAIT for next week...CHENOWITH IS BACK! and her line about the bikini wax...PRICELESS!!! HAHAHAHA!!!
    I am wanting the other singers to be featured more...yes I am a HUGE fan, but am I alone in thinking that some of the group choreography and the Rachel/Finn choreo is starting to look the same with the "prance up, circle each other, look yearning, shut our eyes and belt" etc. Kurt, Mercedes, Tina, Artie, Quinn etc have shown that they have pipes too...show 'em off!!!!

April 21, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Rich

Can the judges on, American Idol stop being so self absorbed? They all knew they were going into overtime but still kept chatting aimlessly away. Who cares!!! So anyone who recorded, Glee missed what I think was the best part of the show when they sang, Like a Prayer! A note to Glee writers and producers – start using the other cast memebers for solo's. Too much Rachael and Finn. We need to hear and see Puck and Matt and some of the other girls! Glee is still my number one show! LOVE IT.

April 21, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Liza

I absolutely loved it. I think Madonna should be proud of the quality and reproduction of her music. A very talented bunch!

April 21, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  126. ks

I was in my high school show choir in the 90's, and we performed a Madonna Mash-up (we called it the Madonna melody at the time) and took it all the way to Nationals. Last nights show brought back memories for sure! Love it!

April 21, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Georgia

Yes, you're right Dave, my grandaughter is 8 and has watched a few shows, but with adults in attendance. There are some scenes (and language) that are not appropriate for "young" ears and eyes. But the music numbers are top rate and enjoyed by everyone in the family. The writing is spot on and delivered by very competent actors. I hope it has a long run, but down the road, we don't want to be overrun and bored with "same old, same old" story routines. Ryan Murphy (the brains behind this show) will, no doubt, make an effort not to let this happen to its loyal viewers. Keep it moving in the right direction with good story lines and of course, magic moments through song and dance.

April 21, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  128. RR

BOYCOT IDOL ! ! !
    That will show them for running long!

April 21, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  129. J in NOVA

Amazing! Loved it! And especially the Borderline/Open Your Heart combo! Glad to see the show doing so well.

April 21, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Michelle

I have been a huge Glee fan since the beginning, and thought last nights' episode was a huge disappointment. The plot and dialogue suffered at the hands of so much Madonna music, as it was obviously all crafted around trying to create "specific musical moments."

I did enjoy the various Madonna characters roaming the halls throughout, and thought the message of girl power was a good one. It would have been a stronger message, however, if it hadn't reduced the girl power to power in the bedroom.

The episode was too risque. Usually they do a better job of pushing the line (giving me an opportunity to discuss with my children) without crossing it.

April 21, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Jim from DC

Sounded like a no-brainer as far as great ideas go, but it was really an awful show last night. :(

April 21, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Brittany

Well, 'A'...why did you even read this if you don't like the show. Come to think of it, why did you watch it? You are obviously a closet Glee fan! I absolutely LOVED it! Can't wait until next week! Mercedes is my FAVE!

April 21, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Alek

I never watched Glee until I heard they were doing a Madonna themed episode last week. I have to say as a huge Madonna fan I enjoyed it and they did my girl justice. Loved the guys doing What It Feels Like For A Girl and Like A Prayer at the end especially. Yes the show is a bit over the top but the show does have some great singing. :)

April 21, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Julie

This was the first time I watched Glee, and I loved it !!
    My DVR is now set to record the show every week.

April 21, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Thorne

Loved it. I just keep sitting there each week waiting to hear what bit of randomness Brittany comes up with too.

April 21, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  136. cindy

I let my 9 year old watch it, and the rest of our family. I don't think it's too risque – it makes a good conversation piece for us each time we watch the show.

loved it!

April 21, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Kim

I watched Glee for the first time last night since I love Madonna- I thought it was very entertaining and Ioved the 'Vogue" re-do.. hilarious!
    I do not like the song '4 Minutes', which among Madonna fans, is our least-favorite song and thought they should have done something else. Unfortunately this show has Ryan Murphy attached to it, the same guy behind Nip/Tuck. Nip/Tuck got so stupid, uneven, and unbelievable that I quit watching it. I hoping Glee doesn't end up the same way.

April 21, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Michael

While I understand that American Idol is a live show, it always has a problem staying on time and in it's timeslot. The producers on that show just let it run free and whatever happens, happens because it's "American Idol". Because of that, shows that follow get jipped and that's not fair. American Idol...there are other shows on FOX as well, and they deserve their time. How much would you like to bet American Idol runs over tonight on this "Idol Gives Back" telethon thing?

April 21, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Dave Yaeck

Sorry Millie, you are HIGH. This show was over the top in such an AWESOME way!!! This will go down as one of the best if not the best episodes of Glee. I'm just bummed I can't let my daughter watch it. I think it's just to risqué for an 11 year old girl. Any Thoughts???

April 21, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Greta Koenigin

It was cheap, but brilliantly so. Now where have I seen that combination before? Artie and Mercedes STOLE THE SHOW.

April 21, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Shan

The only way this episode could have been more perfect is if Idol actually ended on time so that my DVR could have captured the entire episode, instead of being chopped off just after "What it feels like for a girl" – I hate Idol.

April 21, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  142. alex

Guilty pleasured! As much I hate to admit it, I enjoyed this joint last night.

April 21, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  143. IP

The show was amazing! All that was promised was delivered . The only problem that I have is the American Idol ran long and Glee got cut off at the end! That is just wrong! Its American Idol not the Oscars! No reason to run long! EDIT IT!

April 21, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  144. 2gabbygals

LOVED IT! LOVED IT! LOVED IT! This show did not disappoint. I love Sue!

April 21, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  145. A

Thought it was cheesy and stupid like the show as a whole.

April 21, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Tom

The show was fantastic! I agree the combination of Glee and Madonna will be hard to surpass (until Lady Gaga)!

April 21, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Head Diva In Charge

This was a pretty awesome show. I forgot how many great songs Madonna sang. Good for the Glee kids!

April 21, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Omaha Reader

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT... not just the music, the story line was good too. 'Glee' last night sent out an important message – respect women more – which we don't see that very often nowadays (especially from young boys)... I hope 'Glee' will do more theme night like this. How's about Cher or Michale Jackson or Prince or Beyonce'... I'd love to see more of Idina Menzel. She's such an amazing performer. Can't wait to see what happens next on 'Glee'... and I don't even care what happens on 'American Idol' anymore... Who cares about AI when we now have Glee! :-)

April 21, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  149. millie

Thought it was way over the top and frankly, shows that do that so early on fail pretty quickly.

April 21, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Liz

Kurt and Mercedes were awesome...but I would have liked less Rachel singing, more solos for others!!!!

April 21, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |