April 21st, 2010

Courtney Love would like you to call her Courtney Michelle

Courtney MichelleCourtney Love has announced that from here on out, she would like to be known as Courtney Michelle, because the Courtney Love as we knew her is dead, according to the BBC.

The Hole front woman, who was born Courtney Michelle Harrison, revealed her desire for a name change in N.M.E. magazine. “We’ve all decided we don’t like her anymore,” she told the music pub. “Courtney Love is a way to oppress me.”

The singer also delved into how lonely she’s been since she lost custody of her 17-year-old daughter, Frances Bean Cobain.

“I am so alone, it’s freaky,” she told the music magazine. “I’m ultimately a widow and a single mother, and I’m not even a mother anymore.”

She also opened up on fielding queries about her ex-husband Kurt Cobain more than a decade after his death.

"I am not his spokesperson on Earth," she said. "I don't know what he'd be like now, he could be into society girls, he could be into fat girls, he could be homosexual. We don't know, he died at 27."

Michelle is currently touring with Hole; the band will release an album, "Nobody's Daughter," on April 27.

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Michelle

Courtney is not only beautiful but is also brilliant. Her music reaches out to the core of your soul. She is the inspiration for my favorite character for a book I am currently working on. I only hope that my character can do her justice.

December 24, 2010 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. howie

Courtney rocks! Hole is great! Ever see People vs. Larry Flynt? Great movie, what do you know – she can act too. I will always love Courtney!

April 23, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ynotliberty

More like Courtney Oh my god what the heck is that!?!

April 23, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. annec

I really admire both her musical and acting talent, but I'm not sure I'd want to sit next to her on an airplane.

April 23, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. Peperosso

Who cares, her husband was the artist and I can think of a lot of other names that fits her better.

April 23, 2010 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  6. bigbud211

heres a thought why dont we call her exactly what she is??? for 90%
    of us grung rockers never wanted anything to do with her sorry drug ridden butt!!!

April 23, 2010 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. Rachele

Hahaa! I'myou there, nodat1! I much prefer "Courtney Michelle" to C-Lo.

April 22, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. nodat1

Well, at least she didn't shorten it to C Lo

or claim that she has a different personality when she on stage

April 22, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Warren

I'll call her whatever she wants to be called because I like her and her music.

April 22, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. rita

Does this mean that she will no longer go barefoot to a restaurant?

April 22, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jane Doe

Hows about "Courtney I-have-no-talent-and-have-been-riding-on-my-dead-husband's-coattails-for-the-past-decade-and-I-used-to-be-a-fat-drug-addicted-drunken-cow-but-plastic-surgery-gave-me-a-new-lease-however-even-my-kid-can-see-right-through-me-and-can't-count-on-me...Love"

April 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sligo99

I agree with avidreadercnn. What is up with everyone being so negitive. If you dont like her, just say nothing and move on. This is a story about a woman trying to put her turbulant past behind her and find some happiness, and some people cannot even see any good in that. I pity you. You must lead pretty miserable existances. The world is negitive enough without this sort of crap.

April 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chrissy

I don't find Courtney Love (Courtney Michelle) to be a talented singer and I don't find her to be a talented songwriter and, yes, I have listened to her albums. Her lack of talent has never concerned me; several people with sub-par talents and abilities obtain recording contracts every day and that's nothing new. My problem, and I am certain the problem of many others, is with her continued drug and alcohol abuse, disgusting public displays, and more than anything, the constant neglect of her daughter.

April 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. my name is jonas

I'd rather listen to the Foo Fighters...thanks anyway

April 22, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. J.Crobuzon

She's very talented at a lot of things, but living through this doesn't seem to be one of them. I totally agree that meeting Cobain has deformed her life and career; without the scrutiny she'd have been another mid-level act with a strong local following and at least one good album to tour/brag on. If she'd had that life, she'd have been correctly reviewed and received and classified as a minor gem in grunge's hope chest instead of elevated to target status and relentlessly shot down over and over. She's been a good monkey and done her tricks for us, so don't complain when she goes bananas . . .

April 22, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jeff

Courtney's "Live Through This Album" is one of the best albums of all time. Go back and listen to it again. Whether this was because Kurt helped her write it or not is still up for debate. And she's not just a singer – her work in films is quite good.

The "haters" should just knock it off.

April 22, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jjj

Courtney Hole? Doesn't she sing for Pearl Hole?

April 22, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Victor

Instead of worrying about what she is called she should be working on repairing her relationship with her daughter.

How bad a mom do you have to be to have your child taken away from you?

April 22, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Kristy

We all have our trials and burdens in life. I'm glad that she is trying to make the best of her life. I wish her luck and hope that she is successful in whatever she tries to do with her future. =)

April 22, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  20. tone

i wouldnt leave her alone.... she could snuggle up to me anytime

April 22, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  21. bDu

Kurt wrote her lyrics, it's obvious.
    On the coat tails of a dead man she'll ride!

April 22, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  22. zzmook

While she has a huge, huge problem with drug dependency, she is definitely not talentless – she wrote the "Live Through This" album (before Kurt died), and that's a great album. She was great in "The People vs. Larry Flynt".

Courtney, I hope you get on top of your demons and are able to re-connect with your daughter in a positive way. That should be your top priority. Good luck and god bless you.

April 22, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  23. Don Elliott

SUZY
    IF SHE IS REALLY TRYING TO CHANGE HER LIFE, THATS GREAT, HOWEVER THE COURTNEY LOVE THAT A LOT OF PARENTS ALLOWED THIER KIDS TO EMULATE AND ADORE WILL BE THE OLD BUBBLE HEADED DRUG USING BLOND.

April 22, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  24. Suzy

How can you people be so mean when she's trying to change her life.

April 22, 2010 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  25. Terry W. Brookman

Who cares

April 22, 2010 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  26. Lola

"Yes, Hubman, that is the chick who killed Kurt Cobain and has been mining his legacy ever since."

You're a nasty piece of work

April 22, 2010 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  27. Lola

"kurt wrote the live through this album – it is a nirvana album through and through – that is why live through this is the only decent hole album"

Were you dropped on the head ?

April 22, 2010 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  28. RSPSP

Best of luck to you, Courtney Michelle.

April 22, 2010 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |
  29. Rachele

April 22, 2010 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  30. Zorro

We just call her airhead, that's what's important................

April 22, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  31. ugh

I don't know why, but I kind of root for her. I feel sad when she slips and starts taking drugs again. I'm happy when she's doing well. It makes me very sad that she made mistakes that caused her to lose her daughter. I hope she gets it together and keeps it together...like Robert Downey Jr. I always root for him to and I'm so glad that he's doing so well. I hope he keeps it together too.

April 21, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  32. AGuest9

You see filth like this in every city, unfortunately in Seattle during the 90s, it somehow became prosperous, and we have to pay the price of it by seeing it crop up every so often... Her husband was messed up. Too bad she likely was responsible for his death, and they destroyed a child together.

April 21, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  33. mushymushroom

I love "Malibu" and "Celebrity Skin".

Courtney, I hope that she gets rid of her demons. She's a freak alright but you've got to admit that the girl has mad skills in music. Hope everything turns out ok for her...

And Courtney you may change your name or whatever but you can never change the fact that you were the wife of one of the most famous music artist ever, take that as a blessing or a curse but still the world will recognize you as Kurt's wife. And if you really don't want to be the spokesperson for Kurt, what's the point of investing on his biopic then?

April 21, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Juhi

Courtney Michelle is awesome! Living with bipolar d/o, husband who killed himself and now without her daughter she's been through plenty and made some great music with Hole. I just love her.

April 21, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Hubman

Isn't that the chick that killed Kurt Cobain?

April 21, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Melangell

Obviously most of you idiots have never heard her music before. She has more talent in her pinky finger than most "top 40" artists. Is she a freak? I hope so! You anal retentive boring people truly have no life and will die after a bleak and boring existence.

April 21, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mark McKee

Hole's first album was really good, and somehow she managed to write songs that sounded just like Kurt had written them. The follow-up album was awful. You don't think she stole Kurt's music and used it for the first Hole album, then ran out of material? Nawwww.

April 21, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  38. courtney hater

i still say she is to blame for kurt's death. the world would have been much better off if she bought the farm, and kurt was still here

April 21, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  39. angi

Yet Robin you got paid to do that. Guess what? When you work for somebody they get to tell you what to do. Rock stars are usually like that. Too bad she didn't pay you enough to keep her personal life personal. Her fans don't care what you have to say about her. How many songs does Celine Dion write herself? Of course artists sing songs other people wrote. They bought the song or the song was written for them specifically. I have friends who do that. They are called songwriters. I have heard of all of those bands but how many are set to drop an album this month? Hate all the haters everybody!

April 21, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Bob

So, she doesn't want to be known as Courtney Love, but still considers herself a widow and named her album "Nobody's Daughter"? She mines the past in just about every aspect of her life and refuses to unhitch her wagon from Kurt Cobain's legacy. Sounds like she's just looking for more headlines. Boring.

April 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  41. mae

Perhaps part of her issues in life is that she has not been able to move on from her life with Kurt Cobain. Many people turn to addiction as a way to numb unresolved pain. She goes around (willingly or having it thrust upon her) wearing his ghost like a shroud. I find it very sad really, as it prevents her from reaching stability in her personal life. Finding love will be very difficult as long as can't leave the past – in the past.

April 21, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jamie

Hi I agree with avidreadercnn. I as well enjoyed Holes music and I believe she is a strong woman to have emerged from the past decade plus still going. I wish Courtney Michelle all the best in the future. We should never judge others...afterall, who's perfect?

April 21, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Robin

KUDOS to JimmyWhite!!!
    (and these ignorant 'fans' who have no idea of who she REALLY is... If you had to put up with her on set and lisen to her extreamely intoxicated and screaming at the top of her lungs "GET ME MY MONISTAT 7!! I NEED MONISTAT 7!!!!!" for several hours, your opinion of her would change too.) She is a waste, and sad she has thrown her kid away due to her self absorbed drug use.

April 21, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  44. laura TJ

We will call you anything you want. Just stay sober & clean & love yourself & love your daughter.best wishes & peace

April 21, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  45. jimmywhite

@Jakemon

L7 is great, Courtney sucks......all she did was copy other people or get Billy Corgan or Kurt to write her material. If you like L7, I assume you've heard of Babes in Toyland? Because Courtney ripped her entire early image and sound from Kat Bjelland

April 21, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  46. angi

Thank you Richard for having the conviction to speak your mind and the balls not to hide behind some fake name. You rock my friend! You don't have to be a fan to know right from wrong. Too many people assume we all want to read their poorly written and poorly spelled attempts to trash people they know nothing about. Go tell it to your fake facebook friends who want to know what you think!

April 21, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  47. angi

Courtney is a very talented musician and artist. Her fans are life long and anything we want to know about her we already know. She sings her heart out on every song. I have followed her ever since I lived in Seattle and heard Pretty On The Inside. She's a rock and roll goddess. All of you who have nasty things to say about her are just idiots who have nothing better to do than go post crap online all day. What, no facebook friends to update your status to? Really people, get a life.

April 21, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Richard Allemby

I love all these comments people make, who assume they know where and what Courtney is up to and about in her life now. Just because she has a rough history, labeling her as trash, and a waste of space, is a typical mindless uneducated comment someone who categorizes people make. People do change, would you like to take that away from her too.By the way, I'm not a fan, I'm a person who knows what it's like to be hit when your down.

April 21, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  49. thisarticle

April 21, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  50. TV

CNN is starting to censor me. They don't want US citizens on the other boards (like entertainment) to wake up to the truth. Even when I comment on the crap story. People...... do whatever you can to wake the sheep up.... We are really getting at these people and they aren't liking that US Citizens are waking up....

April 21, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Jakemon

@Kelli & Ron

wasted airspace ? talentless ? Sure she has had some problems, but she DOES have a lot of talent. "Celebrity Skin" tells a lot of her post-Cobain experiences.

Like other have said, if you don't like her music, don't listen to it. Personally, I like the band Hole. Good stuff. You should try to be more open minded. Ever listen to L7 ? Same genre. All girl band. Hard core, rockin' out !

If you don't care for the genre, change the station.

Welcome to your new world Courtney Michelle ! I'll buy your new release in 2 seconds.

April 21, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  52. fonebone

....because the Courtney Love as we knew her is dead....

you need to be in a rubber room, you freak

April 21, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Budda

She is a hole if you sk me. Sober up Ms Love and write a hit.

April 21, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  54. George

Courtney Michelle it is. Michelle just better be a rock and roll Queen the way Love was.

April 21, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Bob Dobalina

she killed kurt

April 21, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Boomer

LOSER

April 21, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Dave

I agree with avidreadercnn et al. that she definitely has talent. I like her voice and her songs. She is also a darn good actress. She gave a powerful performance in both Sid and Nancy and The People vs. Larry Flynt.

April 21, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  58. ScrapSupply

CHE CHE CHECK IT OUT

April 21, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Head Diva In Charge

She is kind of like the original Lindsay Lohan isn't she? Except Courtney MICHELLE can actually sing and write.

April 21, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Rachel

I just hope drugs are in her past... and will never surface again. She sure was looking wasted for many, many years. Poor thing.

April 21, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  61. troll killah

@avidreadercnn they are called trolls. do not feed them. ignore them.

April 21, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  62. jg

she has had alot of work done. she looks like an olsen

April 21, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  63. RichieC

Love has had some serious (I mean serious) ups and down, but she is actually a fairly talented musician and songwriter. Listen to the message, not the messenger and try to be objective people.

April 21, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • LOREEN

I actually like her alot, she is major talented and most brilliant people border on lunacy!

August 26, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Joe in NJ

“We’ve all decided we don’t like her anymore,”

Everyone else decided they don't like her a long time ago.

April 21, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  65. avidreadercnn

I actually enjoy Hole's music. I think it's a bad trend on this website to write negative comments. If you don't like her or are not interested, move on and stop whinning about it on here.

April 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Ron

I don't really care what she wants to be called. She's talentless. If she hadn't married Kurt Cobain no one would ever have known who she is. Can we move on and stop wasting time and news space on her?

April 21, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Kelli

Thought this was about Courtney Cox at first – mostly because I try not to ever think of Courtney Love. She is wasted air space, wish this story had been about Courtney Cox-Arquette.

April 21, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |