April 20th, 2010

Will Alicia Keys inspire the 'Idol' Top 7?

testing captions
testing captions

I can only pray that the “American Idol” Top 7 find some inspiration tonight.

The gang will be mentored Tuesday night by Alicia Keys, who will help guide them through the week's theme: inspirational music.

Now, that could mean just about anything - from gospel to a song that just moves you - so I am anxious to see what MamaSox and the gang come up with. Because, honestly, at this point isn’t that really how we are thinking of them now?

Speaking of Crystal “MamaSox” Bowersox, PEOPLE is reporting that she will be performing tonight sans any instrument.  No guitar, no piano. Given her soulful renditions in the past, I have high expectations.

I am also looking forward to Ms. Keys as a mentor. Given her musical talent and years in the business, I expect that she will offer great advice in terms of performance.

As we get closer to the finals, everyone is going to really have to step up their game!

1. Matt D

Idol gives back...A+.......Idol this season.....F!

April 22, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kim

I don't get some of the song choices but one thing is certain. Crystal brought it home tonight. There were only two that didn't get any votes from me tonight.

April 20, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mushymushroom

@chris kirkpatrick
    really? That sounds...fun LoL.

You're a musician huh? You might have some demo or stuff over at myspace I would love to check that out...give me a link if you don't mind...I mean everyone's doing a shameless plugging of their own blogs here anyway...LoL

April 20, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chris Kirkpatrick

@Mushy: Same name different person...not the first time someone has pointed that out. I used to get fan mail and phone calls and finally had to change my e-mail address. I'm just a musician / longtime Idol fan like everone else.

April 20, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mushymushroom

@Chris Kirkpatrick

aren't you the Nsync guy?

@protogere yep, I don't get why people promote their blogs on someone else's... I also see some who provide links to other sites...like dating sites which is weird.

April 20, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chris Kirkpatrick

Unfortunately, what REAL help can any mentor give them at this point. I seriously believe that they only get a few camera shots with them and then it's on to the next one. Can't see how that would be all that helpful. The challenge with inspirational songs is that they tend to be cleche, music we've heard 1,000 times before. I'm looking for someone to breathe some new life into the music, to remind me why it was memorable in the first place and to show me what kind of an artist they are trying to be.

April 20, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. willyboy

Gee- Simon agrees with me!!!!

April 20, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. willyboy

Well, as I expected– Casey SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!!!!

April 20, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. willyboy

I think it's going to be interesting what song each will choose- I expect that the ladies will do well, I really don't care that much for the guys–

April 20, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. protogere

You know, just to put it out there, but this is someone else's blog. I don't mind seeing the links to your own blog in your name, but I just think that's rather tactless to advertise your own blog within another.

April 20, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Michael

I'm just going to say it now – I think tonight is going to be a major disaster. During other weeks when the music should have been easy (Beatles week, country week), a lot of them really had difficulty. I do think they've improved since the earlier rounds, but still...this is gonna be a rough night. It's traditionally been hard in the past – and songs that inspire us? Come on! My thoughts on the 7: http://thesmogger.com/2010/04/15/idol-hangover-the-lucky-7/

April 20, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hannah

I think that Mama Sox, Big Mike, and Siohban really have a chance to excell tonight, as we have already seen some soul in their performances. And I agree with "Greek". I think Mama Sox is very talented, but I just don't get excited when I see her. She just seems very passive about everything. Granted, I am not a huge fan of people who are over-dramatic either:)

April 20, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ScrapSupply

Get better music

April 20, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ravens

Mike doesn't need any help. It's that no talent hack Tim that needs all the help he can get.

April 20, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. millie

I'm sure helping Big Mike will be her top priority.

April 20, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Greek

"MamaSox" as she is known doesn't really excite me or many of my friends as we discuss this lackluster season...I can't see me buying any of their music..... none offer music of their own, just Karoke performances. So sad this will probably be my last season as an avid watcher...

April 20, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |