April 20th, 2010

'Idol' Top 7 try to inspire

testing captions
testing captions

8:55 p.m. – As with Alicia Keys, Crystal Bowersox is one of my favorites this season.

Aww, heck. Who am I kidding? MamaSox is my favorite.

Her version of "People Get Ready" was practically flawless. No instrument, just her incredible voice. She is overcome with emotion and can't finish the song for crying.

She explains that she was so moved by seeing her Dad in the audience. She really loves her PapaSox.

Finally, someone has a moment on this show. I swear this chick can do no wrong.

8:47 p.m. –I love that "Big Mike" put together a list of songs over the years that he wanted to sing on "Idol."

He's cocky, but he's good. He TORE IT UP on "Hero." He did what I kept waiting for Andrew Garcia to do. Take a song, flip it and knock it out of the park.

Say what you will about "Big Mike," but I think he knows who he is and when he stays in his lane he's a contender. Who cares if the song is about Spiderman? I loved it!

8:37 p.m. –You have got to have some serious guts to take on Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey at the same time.

Kudos to Siobhan Magnus for even attempting it on "When You Believe." Alicia gives her good advice about her "money spot" with her upper register.

For me, there is something just off with Siobhan. Her voice isn't bad and for once she didn't screech us to death. But the performance just fell flat to me. Even her speaking voice when she gives her long-winded explanations as to why she chose the song is starting to bug me.

And what was up with the nature girl/forest nymph outfit with the butterflies attached?

8:28 p.m. – It was only a matter of time before someone pulled out R. Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly," and Aaron Kelly is that one.

I have seen this song sung at more graduations than I care to remember, and at first, I think that's what Aaron's going to give us. But somewhere along the way, Aaron started really bringing it home.

I forgot that youngster has such pipes. It was a little bit country and a little bit more pop. Not too shabby.

And sure enough, Aaron says he sang it at a preschool graduation. How precious A. Kelly!

8:22 p.m. – Wow. Capt. "Sully" Sullenberger is in the audience. Who knew the hero was an "Idol" fan?

Tim "Turban" Urban sings the Goo Goo Dolls "Better Days." The lead singer for that group is cute, too, but that's about all Tim has in common with him.

It was not a great performance and yet Tim just keeps smiling. As always.

8:13 p.m. – Why does Ryan Seacrest always have to mention that Lee Dewyze used to sell paint?

He chooses to perform the classic Simon & Garfunkel song, "The Boxer." Not what I would have expected from him and while it wasn't bad, it may not have been the best choice for him though the judges dug it.

We need more excitement from Lee, and this song didn't quite showcase that for him. Kara thought he had a "moment." but I didn't feel it that strongly.

I did like it though. Actually, when I closed my eyes, I could swear I heard a little bit of "Counting Crows" in there.  Lee has a ton of fans this season, and I suspect they loved that performance.

8:03 p.m. – Alicia Keys is the hotness. No doubt.

Good Lord, "Big Mike" Lynche lifted her in the air. We so didn't see that coming (massive eye roll).

Casey James leads us off with Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow." Right off the bat, Alicia says he is going to need to bring some personality. Hasn't that been everyone's advice so far this season? Translation: You guys are somewhat boring.

I liked the performance, but I agree with Randy that Casey did this week exactly what he did last week. Nice playing on the guitar and he rocked it. Simon thought it wasn't inspiring and a "lazy song choice."

Stop dissing our cutie Casey!

1. severiano

WE THINK THERE ARE PREJUDICES, NOT JUST FROM SIMON , AGAAINST MAGNUS– SHE REALLY HAS TALENT, AND SHE TRIES TO BE DIFFERENT EVERY WEEK. THEY JUST DO NOT WANT TO UNDERSTAND HER– AND AT LEAST SHE SPEAKS UP FOR HERSELLF, SHE DOES NOT YET KNOW "WHAT KIND OF ARTIST SHE IS" SO WHY ARE THEY ALWAYS HAMMERING AT HER–WITH THE SAME COMMENT. wE KNOW HER, WHY DOES sIMON NOT???
    SHE IS THE BEST AFTER cRYSTAL– BUT YOU PEOPLE DO NOT GET IT.
    THANKS FOR LISTENING

April 21, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. severiano

we read in latimes interview with seacrest –he said SIMON COWELL IS AWED BY ME NOW- HE IS WORRIED ABOUT OUR AGES AND BEING SO MUCH OLDER–WHAT KIND OF PARANOID VANITY IS THIS? NONE OF US CARE ABOUT SEACREST-HE IS A NOBODY WHO GETS PAID TOO MUCH. HE CAN NEVER BE A JUDGE, AND HE IS NOT EVEN SECOND TO COWELL.
    THIS SHOW BECOMES MORE STUPID ALL TH TIME. WHEN SIMON LEAVES, NOBODY WILL WATCH IT. THE CONTESTANTS THIS YEAR ARE ALL RUBBISH EXCEPT FOR CRYSTAL- IT IS BORING,BORING,BORING.BRING US SOMEONE AT LEAST A LITTLE LIKE ADAM LAMBERT, OR NOBODY WILL WATCH. SEVERIANO

April 21, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ddk

lee....wake up! look alive! you are a good singer but you have zip personality....you are going to blow it if you don't loosen up.

April 21, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Semone

Siobhan is SPECIAL! but not in a good way. I used to like her but now, she has just gotten really annoying and strange! She's trying way too hard to be different that it just comes off SPECIAL. She needs to go.

Casey is growing on me. Mike needs to stop man handling people. Tim sucks. Aaron is adorable and has a shot. Lee is great. Crystal.....well she's in a league of her own but I'm still not jumping out of my seat like I did for Adam Lambert and Chris.

This season sucks. I find I am watching it to see how much more they can suck!

April 21, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mark

They should skip straight to the finals with Crystal and Lee. Crystal in a cake walk. Come on America, Big Mike is so full of himself that it has become a running joke. He has no chance whatsoever. He again ruined a perfectly good song just like he did with Eleanor Rigby.

April 21, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. michele

ok............Crystal loses her crutch..........has a chance to move around the stage..........but til opts to just Stand there????????? her tears sure did fade quite quickly..........

i have a big problem with the judges.......the show and the whole 9 yards

simon picks on siabons clothing etc..........so what.......the show is based on singing.......this isn't a fashion show.........shame on you simon...have you seen the way lady gaga dresses........OH AND Crystal had her own lampy mic brought it and the judges say nothing but they make fun of Sibons butterflies....how is that fair....

seems to me the judges have a hate on for siabon for some reason.......she has a a good voice.........but they are constantly trying to knock her down and sabotage her votes.....Sioban isn't AFRAID to take risks...she is trying to take risks to show all the variety she has in her....and they still shoot her down....whitney houston was a screamer to

i have said it before and will say it again......Crystal..........would never last in the music world....if she wants to quit now cause she misses her kid....what the hell she gonna do if she wins and has to travel all over the world??????? i would never pay to see her good voice or not....she is a one trick pony that just stands there afraid to take risks.....she always has some kind of drama going on....her diabetics..misses her family...misses her kid....etc....WELL news flash....Mike and Andrew both are fathers as well and don't cause a drama scene........Mike missed the birth of his first child.......i'm sure it was hard on him to..........the judges are playing favouritism on this show.........by favouring to Crystals needs...why was Ryan interrferring with Crystals decision to leave????? would they have done that for the others????????

this show has become so poorly judged and unfair...

April 21, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. Chris Kirkpatrick

Let's be honest, people...as much as we love to complain, tonight wasn't all that bad! At the top was clearly Crystal. Seriously, my wife started crying just seconds before Crystal did at the end of her song. It's not that uncommon for artists to be overcome by the emotion of their music...makes her seem far more human. I think she also articulated the reason for it well, that being her father's presence in the audience. Lee and Aaron also did a great job!

When it comes to "Teflon Tim" I think Simon put it best that it doesn't matter what the judges say, he'll be around next week. I mean, can you really blame them? Why waste your critique if 1) he is the vote for the worst candidate and 2) he's just going to smile and not listen anyway.

Casey has been a real disappointment. and every time he breaks out in a guitar solo, as good as it is, I groan because he really hasn't shown us what he is capable of vocally and that is seriously hurting him. Considering her was an early favorite of the judges and their expectations were so high, it is no great surprise that they have been tough on him.

For a time I thought Siobhan was going to give Crystal and Lee a run for their money: a powerhouse voice, a wide range, but I've seen her virtually self destruct the past few weeks. She seems to have two major weaknesses. 1) when she sings slow music it saps the life and power from her voice. The same intensity when she's screaming needs to be brought in when she's meditative (though not the volume). 2) especially in her lower register her voice sounds very airy which explains why we love it when she belts out the high notes, but find her almost flat on the low ones. Lastly, I think she would do well to just take criticism from the judges and then remain silent! Whenever she speaks her responses make absolutely no sense as though she were channelling the spirit of Paula Abdul herslef.

April 21, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jamk

Crystal will the next AMERICAN IDOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 21, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. GH

From dad in the audience to her fav mic stand....

Hmm, anyone else smell a few "demands" from Crystal to stay on the show?

April 21, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mari

I agree with Fay, please, please, we want to see Kara out of this show, She hates Casey! and Simon hates Siobhan! I think this is the last AI season!!!

April 21, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mari

I think AI should be over today. We're sick and tired of listening about how talented Chrystal is. Kara has an issue with Casey, it looks like she hates him! and Simon against Siobhan. Please, pleaseeee end this show, for the sake of the people there!

April 21, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  12. Fay

I'd like to see Kara voted off.

April 21, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sarah

Crystal is clearly the shoo in for this contest. She shows talent and a level of immediacy in every performance. Her choices are also always strong–same goes for Lee. Week by week I since a deeper sincerity from him. Question: has a mentor ever said "that song is completely wrong for you, try again"? This week really suffered from poor song selection. I had the tv on mute for 3/4 of the performances! Casey is talented but one dimensional. I'm starting to think he's mentally slow or something–he either doesn't care what his fate on this show is or is over confident about the outcome. Either way Casey, please grow a personality before next week! Toothy Tim continues to amaze with his awfulness while Siobhan simply sounds like she's impersonating someone who's a lot better than she is 😦

April 21, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  14. Tiredocrap

What's with Mike grabbing Alisha in a bear hug... Give us a break, her body guards should have run in and put some hurt on him for that stunt!

April 21, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ryan

Kissed By A Rose is from one of the early Batman films. Not Spider-Man.

April 21, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. Tiredocrap

It gets harder and harder to believe Idol can survive another season if these remaining 7 are the BEST they can find. There's only two who have a slim chance of a professional career: Lee and Crystal.

Tim and Mike just can't sing at all. Tim is really well out of his league (was from the first audition actually). Mike can at least carry a tune, but only minimal skill in a very narrow range. Not marketable at all.

Siobahn can scream really nicely, and when she sang Paint It Black I thought she was superb; but when she actually sings in a normal voice, it is only mediocre at best.

Oh well...

April 21, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  17. nene

I totally agree with Bob Kirkendall and could not have said it better myself. People need to let up. Crystal does not need to cry for votes. Please!!! My heart goes out to her as well my votes!

April 21, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  18. She She

@Joe, you are 100% right. Yes, they judge on expectations. Tim's vocals are absolutely atrocious... painful to listen to, actually, yet the judges hardly ever comment on that anymore. It must be because he's set the bar so low for himself, they don't even bother? Then on the opposite side of the spectrum, there's Siobhan, who's vocals are impeccable. Yet, if it's not a big "WOW" song, they trash her, with nary a positive comment on her vocals. She made the mistake of setting the bar too high I guess? Yeah, these judges do suck. I like Ellen though, I don't care what people say. She's almost always the voice of the at-home listener.
    Finally, Crystal's tears were NOT fake, what's wrong with you people? A.) I don't think that was an unusually fast recovery at all, and so what if it was? Kudos to her for being able to pull herself together. Really, in that situation, does she have a choice? B.) So out of character for her to "fake" anything. Really people, that's not her style, and she doesn't need to do that for votes anyway. C'mon now!

April 21, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  19. Sherry

I think Aaron reall has a future but he isn't ready for primetime yet!

Lee really needs a bit more oomph and charisma but his voice is staggering.
    I like Mike! He knocks it out of the park each time he sings!

April 21, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  20. MANNY

BOTTOM FOR ME MIKE FOR SURE
    AND BOWER SOCK THAT WAS NOT PUT ON SHE DOESNT HAVE TO DO ANYTHIG FAKE THATS FOR SURE BEST TALENT EVER
    THE REST CAN JUST GO HOME NOW

GET RID OF MIKE HE AWFUL HE LOOKS LIKE A KID THAT JUST GOT A TASTE OF BAD MEDCINE, HE SO FAKE COME ON AMERICAN GET HIM OFF I HAVE TO MUTE THE TV HE CAN NOT NOT NOT NOT SING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 21, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  21. terence

Siobhan can sing. Period. The judges don't like her for some reason and are absolutely no help to her – shame on them. In top 3 last night.

April 21, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  22. Bob Kirkendall

Bowersox is so far ahead of the field, it's all about who will come in second at this point. To those who think the breakdown at the end was an act I can only say is – get a life! Look at her performance and then ask yourself, really, did she need a gimick at the end? A 25 year old "kid with a kid" who has struggled with possibly stress triggered diabetes-related health issues during the contest who's on a fast track to stardom singing an emotional song at an extreemly emotional momemt in her life who sees her father in the audience and is overcome with emotion. Shame on anyone who is so cynical that they can't appreciate what happened. She absolitely should win but win or lose, this girl has won the hearts of millions and has a great future ahead of her.

April 21, 2010 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  23. janet f

I can't stand Crystal and Big Mike. Both phony. The tears were fake, She recovered pretty quickly. Mike makes these ridiculous faces and looks like he is going to explode. Both have o.k. voices but zero personality. Crystal is always depressed and Mike is always over confident.

My votes are going to Lee. He is the only honest one on the stage.

This whole season is a waste of time. Thank God for DVR!

April 21, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  24. Kristy

I was a fan of Crystal's until she started crying at the end. That was so FAKE. Me and my fiance looked at each other and rolled our eyes. She just went down a bunch in our book. What people will do for a vote!!!

April 21, 2010 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
  25. Lseejax

Two JUDGES, except for Randy and Ellen, were awful this week! I didn't "feel" Lee as much as Casey... Casey's song was inspirational to the boogie blues crowd! (two judges getting too old for this?) Bowersox is Queen of primo talent and should win this! I have no clue why Tim is still on this show. Iwould have voted him out five contestants ago–not even close to top 10 to me. He should have been bounced before Katie, for sure...Siohban wasn't as bad as Simon said, but her butterflies were'nt good fashion for sure. She needs t okeep a hair color and find fashion help–Bowersox isn't having a problem with fashion or appropriate hair. Mike could have chosen a better song, but was okay. Aaron is better than Tim for sure. Let Disney hire Tim to cater to the tweens...he's way out of his league on this show. Katie is a way better singer!

April 21, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  26. Dave

Casey- needs to stop smiling when he sings. Makes dark songs confusing when you smile.
    Aaron-last week was awful...this week he did great the last 10 seconds of the song. He's too young. Voice needs time to strengthen. But the grannys will vote him through.
    Lee – he's okay to be always a little dark music wise. He is hitting his genre hard. A ultra happy song would be nonsense for him.
    Siobhan – she needs to get back to doing alternative sounding music. I really want her in the alternative music. She can kick a** there.
    Tim- vocals were great last week. This week, song was way to big. He actually sounded better when practicing with Alicia. He was coughing in the end and wonder if something was going on.
    Big Mike- I think the song got too big for him this week. Seemed karaoke to me.
    Cyrstal-I'm not sure how she can lose. It will be interesting to see what kind of music she puts out in the end.

April 20, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  27. bob

Bottom three for me? Tim. Mike and Casey.

April 20, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mizdona

My votes went to Bowersox....Big Mike, Lee and Aaron. Tim needs to go home. Siobohn has a great voice and an incredible range so she got my vote too. Didn't like Casey at all....

April 20, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Chipp

Bowersox went too far; when you can't hold it together or fail to remain in control then i'm no longer a fan. Rule number one is: stay in control of your craft.

April 20, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  30. BGYE Fan

Note to Casey – ever since the Sound of Music excessive vibrato has been known as goat vibrato. Goat vibrato is not good singing. Stick to the guitar.

April 20, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Joe

Someone please back me up here – I feel like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes when I watch this show. I am dumbfounded almost every time the judges comment on Tim's performances. They NEVER comment on how bad his vocals are anymore. This week was terrible, not a word. Last week he turned in a karaoke performance that (in the words that Simon should have broken out) a million-billion people could have sang. All his performances, save "hallelujah" are pedestrian at best and terrible at worst. Am I the only one that thought last week's performance was ho-hum?

Two problems: a) they tend to judge on expectations and b) (I assume this is true) they try to keep people on that will enhance ratings, and I think Tim brings in the "little girl" demographic.

Agreed?

April 20, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Derrick

OH PULLLLLEZE

You are so mean!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  33. OH PULLLLLEZE

crystal is fake she doing the crockadile tears for votes.......

April 20, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Danielle

Aaron did a nice job tonight, but question for Mozart........Aaron better than Lee? COME ON, REALLY? Always enjoy Mozart's comments, but have to disagaree with that one 🙂

April 20, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Becky

Crystal was great tonight as always. She can sing with the guitar or with out. Mike was good too. I am so happy for the both of them. Lee was alright just needs more personality! Everyone else can leave. Casey I'll miss you though, you need to show more on stage too. Your voice is still great. Don't go yet please! Thumbs up as always to our judges!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Lisa

Lee has so much potential. Why doesn't he do some SPRINGSTEIN songs?????? COME ON LEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Chris Kirkpatrick

Sounds like there were few gamechangers tonight (with the exception of Aaron). I thought that the top 7 were supposed to be good? Hmmm...

April 20, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Derrick

What a beautiful performance by Crystal tonight!!!
    Crystal is definitely this year idol for sure!
    I can't wait to buy her performance at iTunes as soon as it becomes available!

April 20, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Fred Rider

After tonight I refuse to watch anymore of this bizarre program. Too many commercials, and the judges literally suck!!! Siobhan knocked it out of the park and they treated her as if she had given the worst performance of the night. IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THE JUDGES HAVE SOMETHING PERSONAL AGAINST THIS 20 YEAR OLD YOUNG LADY. For only 20 years of age, she was amazing. I would hate to be Simon, Kara or Randy in two years when Siobhan goes to the top of the charts. American Idol Rewind will serve as a reminder of how poor they were as judges of great talent. Of course the egotistical Simon will say it was all because of him.

April 20, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Tom

Mamasox rules, she is your next American Idol.

April 20, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Huskergirl

thought Siobhan was great...as was Big Mike...Crystal was flat out amazing. Brought me to tears (in a good way). Mamasox ROX!!!

April 20, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Natalie

Speaking from a female standpoint. Yes, it's absolutely possible to breakdown then put it back together in a pinch. Just sayin' I believe the emotion 100%. Especially from the little I've read about the girl. She has a huge heart. She just separated herself from the others by MILES!! Go mamasox!!!

April 20, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Jim

I thought the breakup at the end was genuine. If not she should go into acting because anyone who cry on queue and make it look so authentic diffidently needs to be a screen star.

April 20, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  44. O

** overcome

April 20, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  45. protogere

I don't know Mozart, it just all vanished – tears and sniffles and all by the time she and Ellen were chatting about her blown glass mic stand.

April 20, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Jim

1. Crystal...BY FAR
    2. Lee
    3. Siobhan
    4. Mike
    5. Aaron
    6. Casey
    7. Tim

April 20, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  47. mozart4898

I don't even hardly know what to say about that with Crystal. If you've heard anything from this past weekend and all about her wanting to leave the show (or whether Seacrest actually planted the story), I can't imagine how much stress she was under to just knock that out of the park. Great voice – I'm thinking people will say the breakdown at the end was engineered but I really don't think so at all. That was everything she had all poured out into that one performance.

April 20, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  48. willyboy

Crystal without an instrument! Bravo Girl! best best of the night! really feel the emotions- My MamaSox ROCKS!!!!

April 20, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  49. protogere

I don't know if I buy the emotional break up at the end – just by how quickly the tears dissipated, but her performance was still the best of the night. And I am so glad to finally see her without a crutch.

April 20, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Jim

Now she just gives me chills every time I hear her!

April 20, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Loray White

Crystal's the BOMB, and the winner this year! Dag...what emotion at the end? What was that about?

April 20, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jim

Without even hearing Crystal sing yet I have made my decision. Tim will be saying goodbye tomorrow.

April 20, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  53. protogere

I love this song but I think he could have arranged it better instead of rinse repeating the chorus over and over. I think Mike made a good song choice, it was just very overpowered by the orchestra and his voice wasn't strong enough in this song to make it as good as it could have been. I loved the beginning.
    Kara sounded so catty – perhaps we should start critiquing her magazine centerfold poses – oopsie!

April 20, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  54. mozart4898

This was a big risk on Mike's part (no pun intended...well, ok maybe a little). I think it works for him – although I think at times he was a bit out of tune, it was still a nice change for him. He totally doesn't deserve to go home after that. I'll give him credit for probably being the most willing to take risks of them, and that was a good performance.

April 20, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  55. willyboy

Big Mike stepped it up! Best male performance tonight. he's So much better than the other guys. really liked it, he deserves to be #1 or 2 tonight. Kara must be having a bad ear night! and simon has to find something negative!

April 20, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Jim

guess they are saving the best for last.

April 20, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  57. protogere

Jim and Mozart, well that was the angle she said she hoped to bring to the panel – the thoughts of the home viewer. I've thought she's done rather well.

April 20, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  58. mozart4898

@ willyboy – I agree, it was the best so far. Not quite sure why the judges cut it up so much unless they're really just trying to get rid of her for some reason.

Anyone else notice that Ellen is actually sometimes the voice of reason when the others start on the "I don't know how well you connected to that" theme? She was the one who actually gave Siobhan props for her performance, and she deserved it. (And again, like I said, I'm not even that much of a Siobhan fan.)

April 20, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Jim

I honestly think Eleen gives the most credible judgments from a listener viewpoint. It's not clouded with what musicians and producers think should be right; only what sound good.

April 20, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  60. protogere

Lisa I agree with you on her explanations, I wish they'd take the mic away – she isn't very articulate and she tries and tries and tries.

April 20, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  61. protogere

I love Siobhan, she has so much control and what a great opportunity to showcase her voice instead of just ending on high notes. I love how she paces herself through the song instead of hurrying along to get to that 'note'.
    Kara rather irritated me with her thoughts, it should be dramatic – it's inspirational, it should be moving. If she'd had no drama, it wouldn't have been as deeply moving as it was and they would have complained that she didn't emotionally connect.

April 20, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jim

I thought Siobhan was very good but the judges disagree. Duh...who would have guessed?

April 20, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  63. mozart4898

I'm not a Siobhan fan really but that's the best she's sounded in a while. I don't know "connected" she was to that but it was a really really good performance.

And again, I don't really agree with the judges for her either. I can't see what they're saying. She sounded good. I dunno.

April 20, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  64. R

And why don't these judges ever give constructive criticism anymore? All they do is contradict themselves and each other week after week.

April 20, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  65. willyboy

Siobhan has finally realized how to control that voice of her's- for me, the best performance of the night–

April 20, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  66. R

I am so over Siobhan.

April 20, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  67. protogere

He's always on key though and he always gives as much emotion as he can for his age to connect with a song, but had he been a girl I would have said he was going for a pageant win – he looked like some prepubescent kid singing a granddaddy of a song.

April 20, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Erinn

Does Aaron have to have the cheesy are raise in every stinking performance???

April 20, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  69. mozart4898

Lol I kinda thought I would end up being the odd one out in my feelings on Aaron. It just had more connection to the song than the first 3 – you could feel that. No, it wasn't perfect, as I said, but he at least brought emotion to it where the first 3 didn't seem to at all. And pitch wise, he's better than he has been.

April 20, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Jim

Maybe Crystal will sing Radiohead...CREEP. " What the hell am I doing here."

April 20, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  71. willyboy

Kara agreed with me!

April 20, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  72. mozart4898

Ok, you want a moment – THAT was a moment.

It wasn't even perfect in all places, but that was very good. I would have pegged Aaron to go home this week but after that, I don't think so. That was very, very good all things considered. Much better than Tim (and Tim's been getting better), so much more emotion than Casey, and for me, better than Lee too honestly.

April 20, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  73. protogere

Wow, Aaron's performance for some reason reminded me of Star Search with all those little elementary school kids belting out some song older than them.
    I didn't like it. He sang it well, but he just isn't worthy of that song I don't think.

April 20, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  74. willyboy

Surprise! the second half was 300% better!!!

April 20, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Jim

Aaron. Big Song...little voice.

April 20, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  76. willyboy

Aaron keeps the string going!!! another LOUSY off pitch performance!!

April 20, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  77. protogere

What was that about remaining positive about Tim, Lisa LoL?

April 20, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  78. willyboy

Simon said "a little bit of a letdown" he's being generous!

April 20, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Jim

Good Lord that was terrible. Time to stand down Timmy.

April 20, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  80. mozart4898

Oh Tim...oh Tim. This could have been really good for you – and some people are probably going to just eat it up – but there were all kinds of little pitch problems through that. I think it could have been soooo much better. Ehh...

April 20, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  81. protogere

Tim's hitting a lot of things but I'm not sure what they are called – I know he means to hit notes, but he's missed those by a mile.

April 20, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  82. willyboy

Well, to each their own. Here comes Timmy boy–off pitch as usual. he's worse than last week!!!

April 20, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Erinn

I'm sorry, what are you on??

Lee had a moment, while Casey did exactly what he always does – have a decent performance, nothing spectacular.

Lee just blew my mind.

Can't wait to see what Crystal will sing.

April 20, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  84. protogere

I disagree Willyboy and Mozart, I thought it was moving. I love pretty much anything Simon and/or Garfunkel puts out there, but I think Lee changed it enough to make it his. I wish for his arrangement he had left out more of the la-la-la refrains – but it was still great I thought. That was probably one of the best performances he has given I think, so emotional.
    I liked Alicia's instruction to Lee to speak the words, one of my old voice coaches taught me that and it does help truly to really understand and feel what you are singing. Kara hit the nail on the head.

April 20, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  85. willyboy

I'm surprised– the judges must be earing some thing i'm not-

April 20, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  86. mozart4898

I kinda agree with what Ellen said in commenting on Casey earlier, the same thing goes for Lee. I just didn't really think that's going to stand out later. It was ok, but I wanted more from him there. It just didn't seem he really connected to the song. I think Alicia was getting to that with him.

The problem with songs like The Boxer, that I like so much in the original, he's gotta at least come up to that standard. I much much prefer the original. And I totally disagree with the judges – that wasn't "a moment," it was just ok.

April 20, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  87. willyboy

Well, another dissapointment- just as bad as Casey, maybe worse!

April 20, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  88. willyboy

Lee's next up- hope he's better than Casey--

April 20, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  89. protogere

LoL Mozart, I left a breadcrumb in the other but it didn't post.

April 20, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  90. protogere

I really wish Casey would stop showcasing his instrumental skills, we know he can play! He did do less guitar riffs than usual, but I would love to hear him and see him give it a go minus that guitar. He has a good voice, but it's like he's playing GuitarHero and singing along.
    I have to agree with Simon on the song choice – I wasn't hoping for church ballads, but that wasn't really what I had hoped to hear.

April 20, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  91. mozart4898

Casey's vibrato just really annoys me. He has a nice tone to his voice but I have trouble getting around the vibrato. Nice guitar playing but it's not a guitar playing contest

(@ protogere, cause I'm sure you'll be here in a minute...I found the breadcrumb trail a little quicker this week...lol)

April 20, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  92. willyboy

Why stop dissing Casey??? HE SUCKS BIG TIME!!

April 20, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |