April 20th, 2010

Did the Top 7 find the 'Keys' to success?

testing captions
testing captions

My top three tonight?

Crystal Bowersox, Michael Lynche and Lee Dewyze.

The song choices weren't totally inspiring, but I was moved by MamaSox's performance and her tears. I was less so by Siobhan Magnus' nature walk.

I thought Alicia Keys was a pretty good mentor, though at this point, I think there is only so much any of the mentors can do with this group.

Who do you think is in danger of getting the boot?

« Previous entry
  1. nessa99

Thought overall it was a good night for all of them..

Order:

-Tim- like him lately but hes just not good enough
    -Casey- last night was not very good
    -Mike-OMG will he get voted off already, i feel like im at church listening to him!
    -Aaron-Great vocals but not IDOL material.
    -Siohban- Her low voice is completely nasal
    Lee and crystal battle it out for the top spot!!

April 21, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Wayne

"Who do you think is in danger of getting the boot?"..

Blondie... Perhaps the guys second from the right in the photo. Not totally sure.. but your comment about the mentor is "True". A Mentor can only do so much. Some mentors if they are like "Captain James T. Kirk" of the star ship enterprise can really move the crowd and inspire the team. I mean we all have varying talents. What about William Shatner where is he?? he he.. Alica did a fine job... Or how about chef Ramsey.. imagine if they had someone like that.. Kind of like Simon. Maybe he could cook for them. I think of various characters like that and how they inspire the way they do and how that sort of mentor if it was there could help or hinder. Anyways I did hear some nice vocals last night and hopefully tonight will be really cool with Idle gives back. Wishing the best to all the contestants.

April 21, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Spoyald

Yes, Big Mike is full of himself. Didn't even look at the judges after they saved him, just stood there with his arms out. Very boring singer.

April 21, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. toni

I believe they sometimes use clips from rehearsals earlier in the day when they are doing the recaps... maybe a time issue... maybe not.

April 21, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Diane

I agree with your top 3 but I also did like Casey. Tim needs to goooooooo!

April 21, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. gofish

Casey, Crystal and Lee in the end.

April 21, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. NURSE54

I THINK IT'S TIME FOR TIM OR SIOHBAN TO GO. CRYSTAL IS GOING TO WIN .IT WILL COME DOWN TO HER AND LEE. WAIT AND SEE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE DEAL IS WITH MIKE HE CAN'T SING.

April 21, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Vicky

I say bye, Tim. But I say that every week and he's still here. Sigh.

April 21, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. phillyexp

Man I'm so tired of people saying Fat Mike is good. He sounds the same way every time he sings. He should never have been saved in the 1st place. His act is tired.

Looks like it's Tim's time to go. He picked a song I really like but it was out of his range. It's tough to keep hitting the right one like he's done. I'd like to see Fat Mike go but it'll be Tim. Lee was terrific with the Boxer. Really liked it. Crystal was real good but she had the advantage of being last. I think it's her, Lee and probably Casey. Casey needs to be more Bob Seger like with his selections because that's who he sounds like.

April 21, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Diamond Dave

I am offended by the trailers trash comments regarding Crystal. She is not trailer trash and the very fact she is on AI proves it. Some poor people don't have dental insurance and there are a number of reasons her teeth may not be as white as the could be all of which can be resolved when she hits her pay day. She was a street performer before AI. Maybe she smokes and drinks too much coffee? who cares, nobody is perfect. Janice Joplin drank and used drugs but awesome singer, but her hygene was not at all the greatest. Mama Cas from the Mamas and Papas- another great with many imperfections. Grace Slick (need i say more).

April 21, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ughly

Just wondering how many people are watching this on HDTV. Crystal Bowersox is very hard on the eyes, woof woof. Lose the dreadlocks already, and get those teeth fixed. She looks like some homeless person up there.

April 21, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nan

Crystal and Lee are the best! Big Mike always sounds the same... boring! Aaron, what's that he does every week, sways back and forth. The kid needs to go home. Casey is cute but sounds the same every week. Siobhan has a pretty voice but her performances and costumes are weird. Tim is okay, wont be the winner. If they could get rid of two tonight, Mike and Aaron.

April 21, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Marj

When oh when is America going to hear Mike for the true lousy singer he is. Heck, even Aaron is better!!!! Mamasox you rock! Lee your right up there too. The rest of you can duke it out for third.

April 21, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Starr428

Crystal's performance...AMAZING! She is truly a gifted artist.

April 21, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mike

This whole season has been one long amateur hour. Worst bunch of wanna bees ever. WGAS

April 21, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jamin Kawalawalawalaits

Your all are sooo werid and sooo wrong about everything you have said about Crystal! She is a good singer but needs to brush her TEETH!!!!!!!!!!

Lee is amazing and tore up Fireflies!!!!!!!!!

Aaron looks like a 5-year old!!

Mike is a perv he was looking at Alicia Keys Butt!!!!!!!!!!!!! EWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop talking about Andrew! he has left the show you idiots!!!!!

April 21, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Stratdude

The sourpuss jerkwads that think Crystal's tears were not real are wrong and they know it. Big Obnoxious is the lead poser in this group.

April 21, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Hugh01

Bye bye TUrban

April 21, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  19. CourtneyGass

Lee and Crystal should be the two finalists!!!!

April 21, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  20. JD

Big Mike time to go home... today

April 21, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Mar Mont

Tim, Casey, and Siobhan bottom 3... Tim gets the boot...

April 21, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  22. moon627

Alicia Keyes is beautiful and a wonderful songstress ! 🙂

Mike should have switched songs with Casey – he would have sung HERO better 😦

I like Siobhan's voice 🙂 i just wish she'd lighten up

ARG ! i wish young girls would stop voting for Tim and Aaron 😦

LOVE LOVE LOVE Lee 🙂 and Crystal too 🙂

April 21, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  23. bubblepuppy

Note to Eric re: Crystal

Don't worry! She wouldn't come to your trailer nor haul your 'trash'.

April 21, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Dave in Connecticut

Crystal has Janice Joplin's soul no doubt. I still can't believe Katie Stevens went (got voted off) before Aaron and Tim. Last night, well with the exception of three, sucked for me dawg. I am a Mike fan, but even he disappointed me last night. Casey, Lee and Crystal were the best of the night and Crystal out shined them all. Siobhan was a huge disappointment for me and she needs to pick better songs that enhance her unbelievable voice and range. I think Siobhan might be in trouble as well as Mike. Keep smiling Tim it doesn't seem to matter that you can't sing. Aaron, sorry dawg, but you need to grow up a little more and learn some moves on stage besides your trademark "Pee-Pee Dance". I hope they get more exciting by next week.

April 21, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  25. kellyinbama

Ok, For those of us that are a bit older ( I am 44 ) we are looking for maturity in a voice. To me and many others that are AI fans, Lee is solid. He is not dramatic, he is just doing his thing. Yes, Crystal is good, but I do believe she has limits. I think Siobahn is like Katherine McPhee a good singer, but more for Broadway type performances, she is not beliveable enough or strong enough yet to be a Mariah or Whitney, the confidence isn't there. Casey, he'd be good in a band but not as a solo artist, Tim, maybe in a broadway production, Aaron, one day, but not yet sweetie, but GLEE could use him, big Mike, has no hook, he is more a karaoke type singer he's not strong enough in any of the catagories, like Tim, he is just singing. I really like Crystal but I hope Lee wins, he has come to light, he has great potential, he should have a talk with David Cook!! I hope this doesn't turn out like when they sent Chris Daughtry home, what a mistake that was and if Lee goes it will be the same thing over again! Daughtry should have one and the same goes here with Chris. I'll be voting for Lee, I think long term he is the best shot and I'd love to hear him sing while riding down the highway, I am afraid Crystal would get old too quick. She is good but she is NOT the best!!

April 21, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Eric

Crystal is way over-rated, plus she looks too much like white trailer trash.

April 21, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  27. bubblepuppy

I usually don't give a crap about the judge's ramblings but I agree 100% that Crystal's performance was extraordinary and that she was upfront all the time. It wasn't faked! I used to only partially watch Idol because my girlfriend would have it on and I would cast a glance occasionally while I was reading but this season Mamasox has had me riveted. She's the only one I've seen anytime I've tuned in over the years that has that rare combination or artistic and moral integrity to go along with a powerful voice. I know deep down she knows the whole process is just so much BS and that to endure that every week is bad enough but all the other hype – marketing, merchandising, corporate shilling et al I"m sure makes her want to hurl. Does she deserve to win? Yep! Should she? Nope! She's be far better off coming in 2nd and be able to control her own career without being an AI puppet. I will happily plunk down the bucks for her 1st release. If there's any justice in the world, we'll still be hearing from her 15-20 years down the road.

April 21, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. tee

THEY ALL SUCK – this show needs to come to an end.

April 21, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  29. sfb

Crystal is the only one from this seaon that will have a career in music. Th rest just aren't that talented. I think she could be more popular than any other former Idol contestant. She really is an amazing talent and excellent song writer.

April 21, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  30. tina

Crystal is definitely my fave, and I also really like Lee. At first I didn't think much of Casey but he has been growing on me the past three weeks. I love Siobhan's style. I thought the judges picked on her last night, especially Simon (of course). Crystal's tears weren't for sympathy or to get votes; she was moved by her father's presence and the song. I've been there. Couldn't cry on stage when I needed to for an acting role but couldn't hold back tears when it was totally inappropriate! It's a lot harder to cry "on cue" than you might think!

April 21, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Omaha Reader

What a boring Top 7 night!!... It was sooo bad that I had to switch back & ford to watch DWTS or other stuffs... Lee was the best last night, then Crystal and Big Mike were good. The rest was just so so... I can't wait for this season to be over with... Hopefully they will choose a better group for the 10th season, which I guess it could be the final season of AI. My top 3 are:
    1) Lee (love his voice)
    2) Crystal
    3) Casey or Big Mike

ps. Love 'Glee'!!...

April 21, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  32. linda

I only watched Lee and chrystal, all the others are going home anyway so I turn the channel when they sing. I don't like Siobhan, she is such a flake , her speech is SOOO slow like she is retardrd and..her lipstick and clothes do nothing for her.Lee has kind of a Bruce Springsteen thing going on–I think he is likely to win. Either way we will see more of him.

The show is going downhill, it;s on the way out.

April 21, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  33. jlo

I believe Crystal has had a hell of a life, and she has had struggles and obstacles to overcome. Her performance was 150% on the dot, it was inspirational and touching, and when she saw her dad, it really hit her hard. Good Job Crystal, bottom 3 will be Tim, Casey and Mike.

April 21, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Kat

Im rooting for micheal lynch! all the way! Crystal........not so much! I thought the 16yr old did bad

April 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Alice

Lee was amazing with his rendition of the Simon and Garfunkel song! I think Tim, Aaron or Siobhan might go tonight...but who knows?

April 21, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Pat

Siobhan has GOT to lose that glittery lip gloss, it totally distracts from her face when she's singing. She was ok. Loved Lee. I'm just tired of seeing everyone play instruments (sorry Lee).....sing folks, please leave the playing of instruments for when you go on tour. It's starting to get boring. Crystal's song was ok, but she's getting predictable too. Pull her out of her "element"....sing disco (ha ha)! Tim may be going home, or else Casey. We shall see how America voted tonight.

April 21, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  37. 4idol

Crystal was good. When I saw her cry, I turned to my husband and said, "was that for real"? I had a hard time believing that one. A bit corny.
    Lee was great!
    Siobhan was very good. I am very tired of the way the judges keep critiquing her. Not fair. What is with this, you have to find yourself? Good grief. This girl is very talented and has a wide range.
    Like Casey too.
    If Mike picks anyone else up he should be fined.

April 21, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Isay

Where was my previous comment?
    I said, I cann't get over with Crystal's weird personality. First, she accused Ryan betrayed her, then she refused to sit together with other contenstants in Las Vegas. Now, she said, if she won, she won't go to the tour with them. (local newspaper revealed)
    Im not voting for her. I don't think she is an Idol, but a weirdo...

April 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  39. SwamiTommy

@skip
    Crystal has gone first twice already – I'm not sure if anyone else has though, so you have no argument.

April 21, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Danny McLaughlin

I have been watching Idol for a number of years and I firmly believe that Crystal Bowersox is the best find since the show was created. Crystal posses natrural ability and a magnestism effect to her peculiar personality. She is teh only contestant I have ever seen to really provide a portfollio of honesty week in and week out. It's very true that Daughtry, Clarkson, Lambert and Underwood are all magnificantly talented, but...ask Bowersox to sing one of thier songs and we all know she would blow us away.....could they perform a Bowersox song??? Probably, but probably not as inspiring. She should be known as POWERSOX. For the record, Lee and Crystal final.

April 21, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  41. doggone

that is SO funny "I want to flush Siobhan down the toilet"
    I was on the floor laughing when I read that one....totally agree

April 21, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Just A Thought

@ Skip – I agree, on Big Mike, same ole boring slow, sad, song, with barely any enthusiasim. Has he sang anything thats not a slow song or some sort of ballad??? Just plain boring. Tim at least has emotion in his songs and Aaron too.

April 21, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  43. bt

Tim, AAron and Siobhan all need to g0!!!!!! And what is with Siobhan rambling on after judges comments and trying to defend herself. I actually liked her in the beginning but she is just too weird and needs more time to grow. The rest of the group is pretty good. I think Casey needs to get rid of the guitar and go solo. Lee is my favorite--however Crystal is very good---gonna be hard to bet.

April 21, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  44. J Go

I want to flush Siobhan down the toilet.

April 21, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  45. gagirl

I don't see where the hype is for Mike. I don't think he should be where he is today – hopefully, he'll be the one out tonight finally 🙂 Why the judges saved him is beyond me. He just doesn't have the personality and the looks or sound

Tim, Aaron & Casey are just so-so – they won't win, but don't want to see them voted off before Mike...

Chyrstal is excellent! Love her sound and everything
    Siobhan is fine, i think the judges are just confusing her too much and she is trying to hard.
    Lee reminds me of David Cook – I love DC, so Lee works for me in the final.

April 21, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Spoyald

So far all Big Mikes songs have sounded the same to me. Nothing amazing.

Crystal all the way!!! Then Lee.

Tim needs to be sent home. His voice was all over the scale last night and sounded really bad.

April 21, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Me

Siobhan reminds me of a Triple A call up that has a .452 BA and 0 fielding errors. Once in the majors, the batting average drops to .107 and the player commits an error a game. Some people just can't handle the bigger stage.

I was channel surfing during Crystal's mentoring and interview. Was she using Eva Cassidy's take?

April 21, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Elizabeth

i only saw casey and lee's performance's last night... i thought caseys was ok.. but i loved lee's! he has been my #1 from the very start and i have to say i really think and hope that he is going to be the next american idol!!!! go lee!!!!!!!!!!

April 21, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  49. justpeachy

If this show has more artists than performers then good, there are too many empty performers out there as it is. The musice biz is in dire need of some actual talented artists.

April 21, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  50. enough already

I am so sick of "Mamasox" and "Big Mike". They're both mediocre, one-trick-pony singers, who do nothing but play up to the viewers' emotions. Breaking down and crying at the end of the song – nice way to pull on everyone's heartstrings, but you're not fooling anybody with those fake tears. And ditto for Big Mike, I am so sick and tired of his pudgy smarmy face, the man is just way too full of himself. He needs to lay off the donuts backstage.

April 21, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Jeff Dwyer

Clearly, Tim "Hair Hat" Urban was the worst performer last night. Despite his popularity with 10-14 year girls, he has to leave the show tonight. However, it seems to me that, in the past, no one was dismissed on "Idol Gives Back" night. Aaaron was OK and likely to survive the cut. Michael Lynch was boring. He didn't take off with that song. Casey is hiding behind his guitar. He should be reminded that American Idol is a singing contest. He needs to step out, as Crystal did, in order to score enough votes to make it into the top three. Siohban clearly has the pipes to sing but when she speaks after her peformance, she sounds like such a dunce. She can't complete a sentence. Lee was great and connected with the audience better. He needs to start doing David Cook songs if he wants to win. Without a doubt, Crystal is the leading contestant. Her peformance was stellar. People who vote for the best singer will rally around her and get her into the top three. However, I suspect she doesn't get niche votes like Tim, Casey, and Michael. That might set her up for second place.

April 21, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  52. tonying

first, the issue of nearly quitting the show. now, her fake tears. come on crystal you will not gonna win. yes you are a good singer but thats all. nothing special. im sorry but its true

April 21, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  53. ocassional AI watcher

i've only been wathcin since the top 10 so i'm not familiar with most of the names, but I know im not impressed with the black guy or the shorter white guy with darker brown hair......they both get on my nerves vocally, although i would pick the white guy's voice over the black guy. I think the top three of the season based on the last 7 standing SHOULD be the two ladies and the white guy with short hair and the rocker/raspy loud voice...he kills it every week. I think America will vote the final three as the white guy with the rocker voice, the other white guy with long light brn hair and the crystal girl....either way, i think the Aaron kid should be fourth but can see America voting the white guy with darker brown hair that reminds me of last seasons winner or a jonas brother reject as part of the final top 3.

April 21, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  54. anon

alright so my opinion is... I really like Lee. he is a great singer and he isn't bad on the eyes either. I really liked Katie but well... she is no longer with us on American Idol so... I will have to go with my second choice. I don't really like Crystal. yes she is a good singer and she is from Ohio. GO OHIO. but she seems too old; however, she did kick butt last night and I really enjoyed hearing her sing. mike has a great voice but he messed up once and they used the save and well now everyone has to pay for it. I like Tim too. I think he sings alright. I just feel bad for him because he got the bad rap from the very begining of the show because he was not part of the original 24. so what, give him a break. he does decent and well let's face it, not very many of them this year are extraordinary. Aaron is alright as well. a little young and his song choices are very predictable that is my only problem with him. Siobhan is a little out there. she screams every time she sings and it gets a little annoying. Casey... I don't think he is as great as Kara gives him credit for. so summarizing it up. I think Lee did great last night and I really enjoyed Crystal. I think the bottom three sadly will be Tim, Casey, and Siobhan with Tim going home.

April 21, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  55. millie

BIG YAWN

April 21, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  56. cher-lo

As with Crystal, "Her version of "People Get Ready" was practically flawless. No instrument, just her incredible voice. She is overcome with emotion and can't finish the song for crying." – that's very unprofessional.

April 21, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Vince

I totally disagree with the ascertion that Siobhan has "lost her way." She is choosing songs that she feels comfortable with and is the only versatile singer among this group. She doesn't even need to worry a whole bunch because her vocal was pitch perfect.
    And I absolutely loved Crystal last night!
    Crystal vs. Siobhan-American Idol 2010 Season Finale 🙂

April 21, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Thorne

In my opinion... Crystal is just far and away the best. However, I really like that Lee fellow and I thought he was great again last night (as was Chrystal). I'm a bit biased as The Boxer is one of my favorite songs of all time.

April 21, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  59. Shan

Not sure if anyone explained because I am too lazy to read but the first few comments -

For the last performance, apparently the edit folks don't have enough time to pull the snippet from the final performance so they take the one from rehearsal. Don't ask me why they can't pull it from the last with comments going and such, it seems like they should be able to. Not that I'd know how to do it! O.O

April 21, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  60. marilyn smith

I have always been a huge American Idol fan, but this year has to be the worst year ever. I agree that Crystal is by far the best, and a very talented young woman. I think people underestimate Casey, not only does he sound good he is a really good musician. I do agree that Siogban has lost her way and just gets worse. Having said that yes I agree Kara needs to shut up, by the time she gets done confusing them, they don't know who they are. Tim should just go!!!!!

April 21, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  61. ebby08

No offense, but this season 9 American Idol sucks with a vengeance! None of them should win in my opinion. Crystal Bowersox could've gotten a deal a long time ago, she didn't have to use American Idol. i guess everyody does what they think is best for them.

April 21, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  62. Jon Doh

I think Casey is an excellent guitarist, but he needs to understand that AI is supposed to be a singing contest. It does not matter how good he can play the guitar. When he plays his guitar "solos" he is wasting valuable time that should be spent singing.
    Also the only criticism I have for Crystal is she should open her eyes more and engage the audience. Most performances she seems to be singing to herself in a vacuum and trying to tune the audience out. Last night I think she engaged the audience more than ever.

April 21, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  63. MC

The only two worth keeping are Lee and Crystal. Just spare us any more dull performances by Big Mike, Aaron, Siohban, Casey and Tim. Send them all home tonight and let the real show begin.

April 21, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  64. wardlamb

mmm i spelled iconically wrong-sorry
    yeah Crystal!

April 21, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  65. wardlamb

The one big talent with the heart and chops is the one and only Crystal-Her "People get ready",sung standing iconially alone(her small stature towering) knocked my soxs off!
    I can't wait to see her in concert someday.And ya know what-I think those tears were as real as that more than moving performance!
    I cried before she did!

April 21, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  66. Frenchie

I want to mention that everyone who made a comment on Crystal's tears, it's because she is for real and it was the first time her Father was in the audience to hear her sing. This is why she became emotional. There is nothing wrong with having emotions and showing it. Crytal will win.........................

April 21, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  67. Vikki Dilworth

crystal is amazing....there are no words..she IS the american idol

April 21, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  68. Avery Plavin

Bowersox is a natural!

April 21, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  69. Walter

I thought Tim sounded great. I loved the song he sang. I'm not ready for him to go yet – so I hope he doesn't. BTW – I'm not a 13 year old girl (by any stretch).

April 21, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  70. Michael

Calling last night's performances 'inspired' was a long stretch – it was honestly one of the more painful nights of American Idol I've seen in quite a few years – and distressingly so for an episode so far into the season when everyone should be at the top of their game now. With that said, Crystal, Casey, and Lee were probably the best of the night (given, not great), but the other four...ouch. I think Aaron's going home to be honest...http://thesmogger.com/2010/04/21/idol-hangover-the-final-7-perform/

April 21, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  71. Frenchie

Frenchie from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada.

I have to say Crystal you are the real deal here. No guitar and she could have pulled this off easily with no one in background at all. Crystal you are amazing and you are a sweetheart. I just love you. Good Luck you are very wonderful.
    It was nice to see your Dad in the audience last night. Be proud of who you are your doing an amazing job and I like that you stayed the same especially your hair, I like it. I would love for the Judges to pick out a song for you to sing. Have a great day! Frenchie

April 21, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  72. WHATEVER

i have a big problem with the judges.......the show and the whole 9 yards

simon picks on siabons clothing etc..........so what.......the show is based on singing.......this isn't a fashion show.........shame on you simon...have you seen the way lady gaga dresses........OH AND Crystal had her own lampy mic brought it and the judges say nothing but they make fun of Sibons butterflies....how is that fair....

seems to me the judges have a hate on for siabon for some reason.......she has a a good voice.........but they are constantly trying to knock her down and sabotage her votes.....

i have said it before and will say it again......Crystal..........would never last in the music world....if she wants to quit now cause she misses her kid....what the hell she gonna do if she wins and has to travel all over the world??????? i would never pay to see her good voice or not....she is a one trick pony that just stands there afraid to take risks.....she always has some kind of drama going on....her diabetics..misses her family...misses her kid....etc....WELL news flash....Mike and Andrew both are fathers as well and don't cause a drama scene........Mike missed the birth of his first child.......i'm sure it was hard on him to..........the judges are playing favouritism on this show.........by favouring to Crystals needs...why was Ryan interrferring with Crystals decision to leave????? would they have done that for the others????????

this show has become so poorly judged and unfair...

April 21, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  73. RJ

MamaSox rules again!

But Siobhan was NOT as bad as they say. I found her performance excellent, showing control and not screaming like she has done in past performances.

Lee is great, as always. Never heard that song before but it suited him perfectly, matched his voice, and could really tell it meant something to him.

Tim sucked. PLEASE GO HOME!!!

Casey...meh.

Mike was horrible! His voice did NOT match that song.

Aaron–go home. He should never have picked that song.

April 21, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  74. Reba

I am really only seeing artistry in Crystal and Lee.
    Siobhan is talented but needs to find herself, once she does – she will be amazing.

Casey – we already have a Johny Lang and Kenny. Next..

The rest need more training, more time to find themselves and who they want to be besides having a good voice.

April 21, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  75. jenny

Anyone else think Siobhan would make a better courtroom lawyer than singer?

She thinks well on her feet, is confident, well spoken and can give a performance.

On the other hand, to my ear, she is an average singer.

April 21, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  76. JC

Based on last night's performance:

1) Crystal – by far. Noone was even close to her last night
    2) Lee – Big gap between him and Crystal. But a big gap after him too
    3) Siobhan – Thought she actually did a decent job
    4) Tim – Not as good as the last two weeks
    5) Mike – Great voice, but just don't get his performances
    6) Casey – Just getting bored with him. Every week is exactly the same sound. He stands there with a smile on his face, plays a guitar, and sounds pretty good
    7) Aaron – I like him, but I think he needs some time to grow

April 21, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  77. pctrobia

1.) Crystal (Will probably win, but Lee will be a close second)
    2.) Lee (Very talented, should make for a good final match)
    3.) Mike (Not talented enough to compete with the two above)
    4.) Casey (Very good singer and performer but not very original)
    5.) Aaron (should go home soon, he is out of his league at this point)
    6.) Siobhan (started off strong but is terrible now)
    7.) Tim (I think everyone is amazed this kid made it this far)

April 21, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  78. FRAN

Crystal is amazing hands down the winner this year no one can even come close!

April 21, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  79. Pat

Le should be the winner, he has the greatest voice...similar to Danny Gokey.
    I don't see what the big deal is with Crystal; the tears were fake although the judges have been trying to sway people her way all season. If she does win, I will NEVER listen to anything she sings.

April 21, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  80. FRAN

Rebuttle to the comment below and those who also said the same thing

The show ran late and Crystal had to sing her tidbit it live....were you watching the show?

April 21, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  81. patESQny

Anyone who watches American Idol needs a labotomy

April 21, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  82. patESQny

Crystal SmellySox is the worst singer ever on American Idol. She's a one trick pony Janis Joplin wanna be. The sooner she's booted off, or at least quits, like she wants to, the better the show will be...Tim Urban is going to win. Turst me!

April 21, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  83. Michelle

LEE!! LEE!! LEE!! I think he is so talented, think he deserves to win. Crystal doesn't, she is cracking under pressure, did you read she wanted to quit and Ryan talked her out of it? She can't handle the fame yet I think the humble Lee would have a mountain of success!!

April 21, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  84. AmyKd

I cant stand listening to Sobhian talk... its so annoying. Why let her go on for two minutes two weeks in a row about why she sucks so bad?? Boot her off. Thanks to her unnecessary cahtter i missed the the end of the show !

April 21, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  85. emandm

chauncey ABSOLUTELY RIGHT
    Kara you are the confused one, and sad you are confusing all..!!!
    Sioban was simply IMPECCABLE, taking on Whitney and Maria, was a challenge and it paid off !!!!!!..... Sioban stop listening or even answering to judges....HAVE FUN, you are the most talented one!!

April 21, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  86. David

Another night of bad singing except for Crystal Bowersox. This has to be the worst year for Idol. I can't remember any other year with so many bad singers at the end. I don't know why they picked these singers, but it sure wasn't for their singing ability. It will especially hurt them when they go on the tour. Who wants to hear such bad singing?

April 21, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  87. Joyce

Crystal is by far the most talented of the bunch. Not sure she could handle the pressures tho that come with winning AI.

April 21, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  88. Flyin11

I saw the article that Yahoo had up about Crystal wanting to quit and leave the show about 3 weeks ago. While I understand her feally bad and wanting to go back to her family I just can't see even trying to vote for her. I mean, others have family and friends they are worried about. Mike is probably always worrying about his child and wanting to spend time with her/him as well but he wants this and goes out and tries every week to win this. If she doesn't want to win, then leave. Don't put on a play to act like you want to be there. I would rather have someone else win it that really wants to win it. I couldn't even watch her performance last night as I didn't even think it was genuine anymore. I even thought the tears were fake just to drive attention to herself. I wouldn't vote for her one she doesn't even want to compete every week when there are other people out there that would drop everything they are doing just have a chance to do something that they love and would go for it all.

Anyways, best performance I thought was Lee but I switched and watched something else most the night anyways...

April 21, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  89. MrsBojangles

Top three: Crystal, Lee, and Big Mike. No question.

All of Casey's performances are starting to sound alike to me. THat's not good.

Tim has gotten a little better over the past few weeks, but he's not in the same league as the top perfomer, Crystal. He has an insurance policy though, his smile. As long as he keeps flashing that smile at the end of his critique, all the little girlies in Idol Land will vote for him.

I cringed when Aaron decided on "I Believe I Can Fly." That's one of those songs that's been done to death, but it was okay. That might keep him around for another week.

What can I say about Sioban? Lots! Her outfit was too distracting. There was way too much going on with her clothing, so much so that my friend and I barely heard her sing because we kept talking about her costume (and it was a costume, not an outfit) and trying to figure out what she was wearing. Very few Idol singers can take on Whitney and/or Mariah and win (Jennifer Hudson being one of the few who can). What was Sioban thinking? I think she's lost most of the momentum she built up in previous weeks.

I'm thinking it might come down to Crystal and Lee as the winner and runner-up.

April 21, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  90. Robin

Lee should Win the finale hands down. He is the most talented and marketable, and I bet Simon would agree with me!

April 21, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  91. Ginmill

someone said Crystal faked the tears to get votes. Ahem, Christal doesn't need to do anything but sing to get votes. No tricks on Mamasox she is a singer.
    Lee is also a singer and I would love to either one win but confess I lean a little more to Crystal.

The rest are just a big mishmosh I don't even listen to I record and fast forward to each performance, the others I can usually stand 1/4 of song and I move on. I search first for Crytal's performance then Lee's then I listen to a little of each of the others and the judge's comments.

April 21, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  92. Patrick

Siobhan, Aaron and Casey in the bottom three. I really like Siobhan, but poor song choices are going to give her an early exit. As Simon has stated, she really does need to get more current. Aaron, the teeny bops will probably save, but it's time for the young boy to go home. Casey, has just been solid, but a poor song choice and blah performace, I think he could be in trouble. Any one of these three could go, Tim will escape, becasue his age group will have enjoyed his verson of that song... Goodbye to Casey.

April 21, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  93. NYer

Simon and Crystal sitting in a tree.
    (spellout) K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes ...fixed American Idol 2010

April 21, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  94. idolfan

Recall Crystal almost left the show missing home and her child, she is genuine, willing to put family first despite being on top, why would she fake it to stay if she almost left. Ryan thankfully asked her to hold out a little longer, I would buy her record tomorrow, I think she'll be even better doing her own sound. I think she is the most genuine, real, down to earth compassinate for others contestant ever on the show. Anyone who is a loving mom would know how hard it is to be away from your child so long and I think she misses her child and I think she truly feels blessed, she was crying tears of joy at the blessings in her life, very real, I'm sick of fake artrists, she is refreshing.

April 21, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  95. Rose

Chrystal should be the 2010 Idol winner – no doubt about it. Lee and Michael are a very close 2nd and 3rd, but you cannot rule out Siobhan – she has an amazing voice. Aaron needs to definately stay in the Biz – as he matures he will be outstanding. He has an amazing voice and maturity for a teen!

April 21, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  96. Harold

I think Crystal gave the best performance of the night, and I thought that was beautiful when she got all emotional at the end. But I honestly think Tim is going home tonight. It's over I mean I hope he gets a record someday but he's defiantly not gonna be the next American Idol. But I like can already see Crystal standing on the stage crying with all the confetti falling and the crowd screaming, it's gonna be awesome.

April 21, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  97. Dean

Slick Rock you are wrong about Crystal. She told us why she became emotional – her dad was there for the first time. He had never attended before – but watched her from the hotel room. Come on admit it this girl has the stuff. Did you not see that part where she was asked why?

April 21, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  98. Dean

The reason the Crystal was given the second chance was to finish her song. She became emotional on the last line and was unable to finish. So on the playback – they let her thank The Lord. What is the big deal? This girl will win. She actually has what it takes. I do hope this show continues. Look at all the great stars that we would have never been able to enjoy since they would have been undiscovered. Thank you American Idol.

April 21, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  99. Kris

Aaron is terrible.
    Someone please send him home.
    K thanks! ( you can throw Tim in there too)

April 21, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  100. Bad Newz

Siobhan has the best voice of all of them. She could very well be the next Sara Brightman.

Bowersox will probably win, and I would be okay with that.

Casey needs to come out singing some Kid Rock or Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Just my thoughts.

April 21, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  101. amb-may

Big Mike is not very good. He is better than Tim but should be in the bottom three. This year the best is more clearcut than ever - Crystal

April 21, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  102. bones1918

Tim, Aaron and Siobhan are not ready. Tim never will be ready, he just sucks. I kinda wish he would pull a Jason Castro andtell people not to vote for himself.

Sure Aaron has talent, but hes just not there yet. In a few years he will rock the country charts. Siobhan will wind up with a quirky Bjork-like career.

The rest ofthem will do just fine. they each will have their own following in their chosen genre.

April 21, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  103. steve

I'm cheering for Siobhan. Yes, she is very unique. You would not expect the great range and big notes from a 19 yr old. She seems a bit sheltered and emotional. Simon enjoys knocking her down every week and she takes it to heart. Its time for her to forget the judges. She can sing the phone book but the judges are frustrated because they can't PEG her. She is not going to win (because you can see the judges directing the voters to Crystal and Lee as the last 2) but needs to get a good start to her new non-glass blowing career. Frankly she needs to decide whether she wants to rock to a stadium (ala Pat Benetar), sing for her supper (ala Vegas) or mesmerize a theater audience (ala Broadway) and tell a story in song. It's time to get on with it!

April 21, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  104. Sybaris

Can't we just cut to the chase and give it to Crystal? Seriously, the contestants are giving us what they've got. Just don't let this turn into a season 6.

April 21, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  105. millie

Lee and Crystal were very good. Big Mike- Big Yawn.

April 21, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  106. SlickRick

Sorry, but I'm not buying the Crystal Crying routine. I think, she realized that Lee is nipping at her heels and she is no longer the "shoe in" for the win. So, she put on some fake tears and soldout... BIG TIME. You can't project this tough-girl, hippy, subway-singer, like-Jewel-living-in-your-car, persona and then turn on the water works. NOT BUYING IT!!! Crocodile tears if ever I've seem 'em...

April 21, 2010 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  107. skip

Sorry, Lisa, our ears are hearing different things. Michael "tore it up?" He tore it all right...to sheds, it was awful. Ms. Magnus' "screeching"...have you listened to the youtiube comparison with Adam Lambert? Shrill, yes, powerful and in tune, yes, so better to "screech," as the judges so stupidly call it, than to strain for the high stuff like Aaron & Tim. Crystal's tears, genuine and all, still saved her from a so-so performance, and why does it seem that she's usually performing last or near the end? Tell me the judges, who have their clear favorites, aren't desperately trying to sway voters to the favorites. The way they have trashed Siobhan week after week, while babying Aaron & Tim, is sickening. Dewuze...love the voice, but he's STILL a boring, awkward stiff on stage. He'll make a great radio performer. Sorry, this season, with Kara drooling over Casey, the cruel insults from Simon, and the cluelessness of Randy & Ellen...pathetic.

April 21, 2010 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  108. Beth

i think the bottom three will be casey,siobhan,and tim. I think casey will most likely leave. But im not sure we'll see tonight! The top three is Crystal, Micheal, and lee. i pretty much agree with everyone i hope thats right!

April 21, 2010 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  109. Joe

sorry my fingers are moving faster then I am thinking sorry for the spelling errors in my first post.

April 21, 2010 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  110. Joe

Well....sorry Tim or Casey should go BUT Tim will be saved again by all the 13 to 16 year young girls and Casey will be saved by the 30 to 35 year group who still like to rock. So who will go Aaron and I feel bad about this because he is a strong singer but country fans can not carry him though the vote. It should be interesting one nevers knows...Big Mike or Siobhan may be in trouble too. Siobhan have fun stop listening to Kara....A little sercert I think America liked Lee's performance better then Crystal's song at the end........Sorry Dog you were wrong in your comments.

April 21, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  111. Brett

I'm sorry but I was not as overwhelmed with Crystal's performance as most other people seem to be. Yes, she sang it well, but could I imagine hearing that on the radio? If so, I would change the station. I think the crying was unnecessary, too, regardless of whether it was real or not. And what was with the mic stand? It looked like she stole somebody's antique lamp and stuck a mic on top.

To me, Lee's performance was the only one worth listening to. The rest were OK but not great.

I think Siobhan needs to go. Miss Elevator-Doesn't-Quite-Reach-The-Top-Floor has a great voice but a very annoying personality and a bizarre taste in wardrobe.

April 21, 2010 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  112. Kristy

I was a fan of Crystal's until she started crying at the end. That was so FAKE. Me and my fiance looked at each other and rolled our eyes. She just went down a bunch in our book. What people will do for a vote!!!

April 21, 2010 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  113. desertKTV

This season is the most talentless season in the history of the show. Last night, I thought we were watching the bad performers back in audition week... and if it was, maybe one or two people would have been put through to Hollywood based on their performances.

The judges fell all overthemselves to praise the contestants.. in an effort to keep viewers coming back.

April 21, 2010 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  114. George

Siobhan was my favorite early on this season, but I think she's lost her way somewhat. Maybe she's still young and needs more time to grow as an artist. I've liked Crystal consistently from the beginning, and she's become my new favorite

April 21, 2010 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  115. Jeff P

Best to worst tonight

Crystal-another great performance
    Lee-needs to have more faith in himself
    Siobhan-get back to having fun on stage
    Tim-has shown much improvement but vocals not strong
    Casey-stop smiling so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Big Mike-fake, boring, conceited, cheesy, etc. but solid vocals
    Aaron-hated his performance, made me cringe

Either Big Mike or Aaron should go this week.

April 21, 2010 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  116. Meg Hager

I liked Aaron Kelly. I think this boy is going to be another Carrie Underwood in the country world.

April 21, 2010 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  117. MadMikey

The most consistent performer this season has been Crystal, and tonight was no exception. Her emotion at the end of the song matched my own at hearing her sing while tuned into her emotions. She had me bawlin' and I'm a sixty year old Viet Vet.

Lee's song did pretty much the same thing, but not to the extent of Crystals. It too was excellent~

Casey's Fleetwood Mac tune was noteworthy as well. Whether he varies his performances or not, he was solid once again, but he does need to put down the guitar soon and have a couple weeks in a row where he really tears into a song and ENTERTAINS US~

Siobhan's performance was once again cool, the gal has pipes and great control of her voice, and tonight's mixed variation going from soft to more difficult notes was extra special. Week to week I don't care for any of the judge's comments regarding her ability thus far...Let the gal sing. By her own admission, she does not realize what genre she likes best, and has thus not defined herself to any extent.

Mike...what can I say, he's a big ol teddy bear that can break your back, or your heart when he's on. Tonight he was on once again. I love his sensitivity~

Andrew...sorry, the teeny boppers love him but I don't care for him, and the same with Tim. Neither have impressed me to any extent this season, and the sooner they're gone the better.

April 21, 2010 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  118. Shakenama

nailandshiner – if you saying Crystal sounds "ordinary", to what do you compare the other Idols? I think Crystal is extraordinary. She's a true musician.. a "diamond in the rough".. not only does she sing, and play guitar, but plays the piano, and writes her own songs. Do a search for "holy toledo", "farmers daughter", or "sandman" Amazing songs!.. Crystal is way beyond "ordinary"

April 21, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  119. Scott

Lee and Crystal were awesome... everyone else, meh. Tim spewed out his usual cheese-filled crapfest. Mike was just weird. A. Kelly failed hard at R. Kelly... and the rest were forgettable.

Go Lee!

April 21, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  120. finaleformike

I think this will be it for Big Mike. He did not impress me at all.

April 21, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  121. Hey Dude!

I hope Big Mike stops lifting people. It would seems he would feel physicall superior that other people. It sucks! Its doesnt seem funny nor fun to most of us here at home!

I hope Big Mike stops lifting people.

April 21, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  122. Haverchuck

Siobhan needs to do something a little more upbeat next week - she's got some soul.

April 21, 2010 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  123. Russ

Listen Dawg, Check this out. For me, it's

Bowersox
    Dewyze
    Lynch
    Magnus
    Tim, Casey, and Aaron on the bottom.

April 21, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  124. Russ

Would you pay $50 to see any of this group in concert? I wouldn't. They are decent, but not star quality. Bowersox has shown the most talent to date. But can she hold the attention of everyone in a big room? I wonder.

April 21, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  125. Rick

Sockmonkey, good luck with that theory. I'll give you 10 to 1 odds

April 21, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  126. Sockmonkey

Good singers would never cry singing a song. Judging from her dress rehearsal ending, Mamasux saved the tears for the live performance. She sold out. End of story. Siobhan will win this year even though you can't spell her name.

April 21, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  127. pamblizzard

My opinion:
    Crystal is already a star
    Lee will become one if he keeps working at it
    Siobhan has an amazing voice and needs to be on Broadway
    Mike has a great voice but not unique
    Tim, what can I say, I guess I'm way to old for him
    Aaron is a sweet kid but he's in the spotlight too soon
    Casey has a shot, he's got a nice voice, plays a mean guitar, and looks good.
    Let me add that Katie should audition for Glee!

April 21, 2010 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  128. Rick

Mary, agreed!

April 21, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  129. Mary

crystal crystal crystal wish she had an album I would run to the store to buy it no matter what she sang.

Next album I would buy Lee. Lost my taste for Mike after the way he acted when he was saved. Right now for me it is only Lee and Mamasox. I think they could both make an album but I think she has the better voice and range and performance skills

April 21, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  130. Hugh01

MamaSox is the deserved winner of this less than average season. She is the BEST!

April 21, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  131. Rick

holy crap! Love the songs via youtube.....amazing. Lee/mamasox so damn good

April 21, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  132. schmooz

Yes, yes, I've got it that the clips are from rehearsals.

April 20, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Rick

Chipp

disagree. I am a fan, so i am skewed in my thoughts, but not overperformace. Lee was strong, but i still place him #2

April 20, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  134. eb

MamaSox was awesome. I had tears in my eyes, also. I could listen to her songs all day long.
    Next best were Lee and Mike. Casey is eye candy and plays a sweet guitar. Siobhan looked like Tinker Bell/Forest fairy and sang like she was in play. I was waiting for her to fly off.
    Aaron is a sweet heart and needs more time to grow. Tim, it's time to goooooooo!

eb

April 20, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  135. mozart4898

@ schmooz (and all the others that have pointed it out without really reading about it): Their little recaps they show at the end for each contestant's numbers are from dress rehearsal, NOT the actual performance. That's the case with all the singers every week so the producers have time to actually put the recaps together.

April 20, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  136. BGYE Fan

@smooze
    Idol has always used video of the rehearsals for the recap videos. Usually the differences are not as noticable but there are differences every week. Same thing happens when some camera shots from behind the judges have body doubles sitting in the judges seats. Not everything on the show is as it seems.

April 20, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Chipp

Over performing is as bad, if not worse, than under performing; performers must remain in control at all times. I rate it as an emotional 'train wreck' for Bowersox. Welcome to the top Lee.

April 20, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Rick

mozart4898,

so thank you for that. And you are correct in all that you say here.
    We are all fans of the idol singers to varying degrees. I wish them all well, but i know my favs.....

April 20, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Don't judge me

Chauncey
    I totally agree. Kara show go! I'm still remembering the try-outs from I think Boston, where she tore that guy Andrew apart. She was needlessly mean and brutal say "I don't like you (as a person) at all!" He had a good voice. She said she "felt dirty" after his try out. ?? I don't like her. What was with her flashing episode? I felt dirty watching her embarassing the bikini clad contestant. Now Kara bared all for a magazine.... Isn't American Idol a family show?

April 20, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  140. schmooz

Don't judge me,
    Crystal's recap at the end of the show was definitely NOT from her performance.

April 20, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  141. mozart4898

@ Rick – Crystal's song was "People Get Ready."

And about Casey – I really do like the tone of his voice for a kinda bluesy/southern rocker style. The problem is just as Rick pointed out too, and I said earlier, the vibrato. He could probably even just get rid of the vibrato although at a point the longer notes need it, almost regardless of style. It even creeps into shorter notes from time to time too. His guitar playing though – he's good, for what we've seen on the show. But 1) this isn't a guitar playing contest, and 2) in the world of rock guitarists, he's probably only an adequate lead player. Recently some rock groups are starting to feature a bit more guitar soloing than say 10 years ago and I don't know that he'd stand out among them. He's good, yes. But not amazing from what I've seen on the show at least. He may be much better than he's shown.

April 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Don't judge me

Chris Kirkpatrick
    I believe the recaps are from tonight's performances. If they were from warmups, they would be dressed differently. The show is promoting Crystal to be the next AI...

April 20, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Joe

Someone please back me up here – I feel like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes when I watch this show. I am dumbfounded almost every time the judges comment on Tim's performances. They NEVER comment on how bad his vocals are anymore. This week was terrible, not a word. Last week he turned in a karaoke performance that (in the words that Simon should have broken out) a million-billion people could have sang. All his performances, save "hallelujah" are pedestrian at best and terrible at worst. Am I the only one that thought last week's performance was ho-hum?

Two problems: a) they tend to judge on expectations and b) (I assume this is true) they try to keep people on that will enhance ratings, and I think Tim brings in the "little girl" demographic.

Agreed? Not?

April 20, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Don't judge me

schmooz
    Yes, I noticed the same thing! Unless they showed near the beginning or middle of the song? But if that was supposed to be the end, then they are unfairly showcasing her to an advantage...

April 20, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Rick

What was the name of the song she sang again?

April 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Rick

Joe Schmo,
    I like Casey....I personally think his voice has some sort of weird natural vibrato. Or, he uses it too much. He is a good looking guy and a really talented guitarist....really talented...damn! But the voice is vibrato and his persona is stiff-ish. But i like him. Personally I think it's Crystal, Lee and Casey.

April 20, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Rick

mozart4898, agreed...and thanks

April 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Joe Schmo

I don't understand all this hate for Casey James. He is definitely top 4 or 5 material. Tim Urban should be gone this week, Aaron Kelly should follow soon after, and then Big Mike. Tim and Aaron's voices are just not up to par with everyone elses, and Big Mike, while he has a nice voice, it just isn't anything original. In my HUMBLE opinion, the rest of this season should play out as follows:

7) Tim
    6) Aaron
    5) Big Mike
    4) Siobhan
    3) Casey
    and have Crystal and Lee duke it out in the finale.

April 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  149. mozart4898

@ Rick – In a few hours all of the performances will start popping up on YouTube, but not quite this soon.

And as far as Crystal faking the tears – if it had started after she was done, I could believe that. But why would someone actually break down like 3 notes from the end if they were faking it? Cause if you're going from a performance standpoint she missed the last couple notes because of it to be technical. That's rather outweighed by the emotion I think though. No one else was anywhere near connected enough to their song to actually get that emotional about it.

April 20, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Rick

anyone know where there is a site showing the tery-eyed song from tonight? Want to see/hear it again.....

April 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Rick

OH PULLLLLEZE,

you think so? I don't, but in this world you never know. she just seems so much more geniune than to do that. Not like she needs the extra votes to stay on.....

April 20, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  152. schmooz

hahahaha. Yes, if she's trying to get votes for an Oscar.

April 20, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Rick

nailandshiner, check...i hear what you're saying. I just think the talent is so far in front of so many people, including existing singers that it is amazing. As for any originals she may make....you are correct, she may or may not make it that way. We will have to see. I hope she does. I am a big fan at this point, and she deserves the win (imho), but the reality will be when she puts out an albumn...

April 20, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  154. OH PULLLLLEZE

crystals tears are fake crockadile tears for votes

April 20, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  155. nailandshiner

Rick, I think you misunderstood where I was coming from. I completely agree with you. I think Crystal is the only person with real star quality talent on the show. I was responding to thom's post above mine (but didn't indicate that I was). I was only meaning that maybe she sounds ordinary to some because she is singing other's music.

I'll check out Chicago Acoustic Underground...haven't seen anything beyond what I have seen on the show yet.

April 20, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Kenny

Crystal topped everyone tonight. She is so far ahead that it is turning into no contest. Lee's performance was strong. My rankings:
    1. Crystal - no doubt
    2. Lee - very good performance
    3. Mike - good, didn't blow me away
    4. Casey - good arrangement, great guitar
    5. Siobhan,Tim,Andrew - all about the same. They should be the bottom three.

Going home: Any of the three, but probably Andrew.

April 20, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  157. dave

All of the idols do their songs in a full dress rehearsal prior to the live show. As a result, it allows the producers to pace the show...they usually put a strong performance in the first or second spot, and always end the show with one of the strongest performances. That's what they did tonight...Lee was a good strong second spot, and of course, the incredible MamaSox delivered the final knockout punch.

All of the performers' rehearsals are taped, and those are used to put together the final clips for the recap. It would be nearly impossible for the technical crew to splice in the last one or two clips in time for the recap and the phone numbers, so they use clips from the rehearsal.

It's interesting that for some of the contestants, you can't tell the difference. But for some, their rehearsal and live performance can be quite different. That's the reason why Crystal's recap didn't have her breaking into tears...she was in control during the rehearsal.

April 20, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Rick

nailandshiner,

I sugest you check out the Chicago Acoustic Underground songs with Chrystal. Her songs on idol are more or less her arrangement. That takes talent all by itself, let alone figuring how to raise pitch and lower it along the arc of a song to make it original.
    she does sing very similarly from song to song, but right now i love it.

April 20, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Rick

I did notice the recap showed a different version of Crystal's song. Curious....kinda like the director of a movie showing a driver close-up making a left turn, then panning out to have the car make a right.

Curious in a sense that they must have played it more than once on stage at some point, in front of the judges....then maybe the finale with the audience.

In the live version she cried....in the recap she ended it eloquently.

anyways...love that girl...she has such a power in her voice.

April 20, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  160. nailandshiner

Siobhan is an Adam Lambert wannabe...and we have seen how well his career has started out. Crystal sounds ordinary because she is singing other's material – and does it very well. Once she gets a chance to record her own material she probably won't sound so ordinary.

April 20, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  161. thom

Y'know, i always say "who would I pay to see perform". SM – Ms magnus – is really the only one of this group. Bowersox is, yeah, good, but i think in a more ordinary sorta way. SM is unique.

April 20, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  162. nailandshiner

schmooz, I think they use footage of the rehearsal performance for the recaps at the end of the show so it is ready to go (since the show is filmed live).

April 20, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  163. schmooz

my thanks was to Chris Kirkpatrick's explanation.

April 20, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  164. schmooz

Thanks! We thought that maybe it was something like that. Didn't think it was any big conspiracy, just that it was glaringly obvious.

April 20, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  165. Jennilee

I noticed the same thing as Schmooz and Mr. Bix and thought it was strange........how and why did they make that happen?

Lee DeWyze is just so talented.

April 20, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  166. mozart4898

For the most part tonight was decent, I thought. Interesting that Randy pointed out what a lot of people have already said about this year – these people are more "artists" than they are "performers." I know a lot of people will turn that into a dig, but what it'll probably mean is that several of them will actually be able to record rather well. Lee, Casey, Mike, Siobhan, and Crystal (even Aaron if he could channel more of tonight's sort of performances) all have recordable voices.

People could probably make a lot of Crystal's reaction and especially how it seemed to just disappear so quickly. I have a feeling it's probably been coming on all weekend and she was fighting that back the whole performance and it just finally spilled over at the end. I don't think she'd be the kind that would typically show emotion that publicly and probably is equally good at usually supressing it – which is why it says that much more than it finally spilled over. You could FEEL the connection through her whole performance though – that was the difference between her and the others tonight. My rankings for the night (in the past it's been how people would see them, not my own opinion...I'm sick of that, THIS is my actual opinion this week):

1.) Crystal (by FAR)
    2.) Mike
    3.) Siobhan
    4.) Lee (tied with Aaron)
    5.) Aaron (tied with lee)
    6.) Casey
    7.) Tim

No one was a trainwreck though, thankfully. 🙂

April 20, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Chauncey

Kara should get the boot. She has taken this show to a totally different place and I don't believe that I like it. Most individuals make it to this point because of their talent. Why does she insist that they become someone that they're not and not give them any recognition for the talent and skills that they do have? So what if she "doesn't know who Siobhan is"...she's there to sing and what a beautiful voice! Kara has succeeded in confusing ALL of the contestants. No one knows what she wants...does she?

April 20, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Chris Kirkpatrick

@ Schmooz...I believe that the recap shots are from the warm ups and not from the actual performances themselves. They have done that in previous years.

April 20, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  169. mr.bix

I did notice that- why would SHE get a second chance?

April 20, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  170. schmooz

Did anyone else notice when they ran clips of all the performances at the end of the show that the snippet they showed of Crystal singing was different from her live performance on the show tonight?

April 20, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  171. breasart

Please excuse my misspelling of Siobhan. 🙂

April 20, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  172. mushymushroom

@Scrapsupply

SHAMELESS PLUG...! LoL

April 20, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  173. breasart

Crystal's performance moved me emotionally (to tears actually). She is amazing. I feel that Tim and Casey are in danger of going home. I do like Sioghan, yet I agree this was not her best night. Michael was just "okay" as was Aaron and Lee well I didnt see his performance but when I saw the short re-cap, I was not that impressed.

April 20, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  174. ScrapSupply

It was okay, not the greatest...
    CHECK OUT
    scrapsupply.blogspot.com

April 20, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  175. breasart

Crystal's performance moved me on an emotional level (to tears actually). She is amazing. I feel that the bottom two tonight were Tim and Casey.

April 20, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  176. Loray White

I agree with your top three, but judging from past voting results and Simon's just "gotta say something negative" comments, I bet Mike will be in the bottom three........again

But.....hoping that the bottom three will be Tim, Casey, and Siobhan, with Tim going home......Finally.

April 20, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  177. protogere

Hearing the recap validated my thoughts on how great Crystal's performance was.
    Casey was the most miserable performance, second only to Tim. I would definitely put the pair in the bottom two. Aaron was really close to rounding them out as a trio.

April 20, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |