April 19th, 2010

Christina Hendricks pens a letter to men in Esquire

“Mad Men” actress Christina Hendricks landed the cover of Esquire magazine’s May issue, and it seems that job included giving men a few words of wisdom about women.

In an open letter to all the men perusing the magazine, Hendricks advises them to stay away from Facebook (“it’s an invasion of everyone’s privacy”), complaining about a woman’s friends (“no matter how many times we say a friend of ours is driving us crazy”) and wearing tank tops in public (“you’re walking around in your underwear”).

However, she does think the opposite sex could drink more scotch ("it's the most impressive drink order") and reconsider the word "panties" ("say it more").

When it comes to marriage, Hendricks would like the men of the world to know that very little changes.

“The only things that will get a married man laid that won’t get a single man laid are adultery and whores,” she posits. “Intelligence and humor…got you laid when you were single. That’s what gets you laid when you are married. Everything still works in marriage: especially intelligence and humor. Because the sexiest thing is to know you."

Lastly, memory is key: men should always remember what their woman likes (Hendricks has a cute example of how her husband demonstrated this ability while they were dating), and never forget that a woman remembers every single thing her man has ever said about her body, or another woman's.

“We remember forever what you say about the bodies of other women. When you mention in passing that a woman is attractive…your comment goes into a steel box and stays there forever. It’s about learning what you think is sexy…it’s about keeping your man and knowing what he likes,” Hendricks said.

Likewise, any comments a man says about his significant other, good or bad, "are stored away in the steel box, and we remember these things verbatim. We remember what you were wearing and the street corner you were standing on when you said it."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. Texas Mom

Dan E.,
    I am a happily married mom and I didn't marry for money or as others put it what is between his legs!LOL I think that men should take this into consideration and I think that woman should treat there men the way that they want to be treated. Just because you have a bad experience doesn't mean that all woman are bad or evil so tone it down a bit and chill out.

July 7, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Holly Golightly

Wowzers! There are some seriously angry guys here! Perhaps one should examine oneself before condemning all of womenkind! Just like all men are not bad, neither are all women. And last I checked, if you are in an unhappy marriage, divorce is still an option. Not all women are shallow–and some men are as well. And, no I do not think Christina is too chubby to be super attractive!

July 7, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Gigi

Go Christina! I'm in total agreement – it's time men start acting like men and not overgrown frat boys.

April 20, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dan E

Brooke
    Please read the comment I wrote to Blessyourheart and then make your opinion of me.

April 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brooke

Dan E...
    do you have mental problems? Or maybe you're just looking in the wrong places for love? I recommend you stop hitting the twenty year old bars when looking for a real woman because all you'll find there are the "ones who go after your wallet". Honest to god I don't care WHAT is between your legs, how big it is, because at the end of the day its 2010... if I'm dissatisfied with my man pleasing me there are 1000 other ways to do it on my own. I know its obviously been hard for you to please a woman since you're so loud about what you think we want (never assume you know anyone else's mind sir, especially a woman's), but really I'd rather my husband make me laugh than anything. Maybe you're just not funny and have to rely on your wallet to reel them in? If so sir, no wonder they go after it when you're paying them for it.

XD have a nice day heh

April 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dan E

To blessyour heart

You are so far off it is ridiculous. I was married for 17 years. I loved my wife and listened to her. I cared. We had two children that developed diabetes within a few months of each other. She couldn't handle it. She decide to leave and not come back to escape from the real world. Me...I am now a single parent for these two kids(one girl,one boy). we don't even know where she is because that's how she wants it. I paid attention to her, I did what i should have, but it didn't matter. Don't get on your soapbox with me, I have the story to shut you up!!!

April 20, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. blessyourheart

Dad E, Bryan S, Mike and gestault...Christina Hendrick's is spot on. Do you know what the most unattractive character trait in a man to ALL of womankind? Misogyny. Why would any woman be attracted to a man who obviously hates woman? They wouldn't. If you are unhappy with women you need to look no further than yourselves to why you are unhappy...you will never receive true love or understanding from someone you fear and hate.

April 20, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kristen

Guys, I agree that it's a two way street but YOU have to remember that this is an article in a MEN'S magazine where the person in question has penned a letter meant for MEN. I would imagine that, as a good number of us understand, Christina would have included some of that advice for women had that been the point of the article. There is a lot of anger coming through in comments on this one! I'm sorry some of you men seem to think all women are a certain way but it just sounds like you picked the wrong ones or, if single, are making excuses for why women don't pick you. Could it be that ladies pick up on the undertone of distrust/animosity/insecurity that you're throwing out? We are very perceptive when it comes to subtle cues like that! And I believe that Christina was not saying she doesn't notice other people or that married men shouldn't notice other people or think they're attractive. She's saying keep it to yourself because women are sensitive about looks and will remember comments you make about other women and compare themselves to them forever. Which is GREAT advice I'd say. My man tells me I'm beautiful every day and never makes lustful comments about anyone else in my presence. Do I think he never finds anyone else attractive?! Ha! I'd be guilty on that front too...but I'm a lady who takes my own advice and keep it to myself.

April 20, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. R Diddy

Am I the only one who thinks she's a little too chubby to be considered super attractive?

April 20, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. Alex

Why are men so angry about her sharing her personal experiences? Obviously you can't take her advice and apply it to every situation and relationship. If you don't agree with her then don't listen, but she does bring up some valid points about women. I'm not sure what kind of women the men commenting on here are surrounding themselves with considering they say women only care about money, are conniving and out for mens' souls, and only care about outward appearances. If you take notice to what the other women commenting are saying, they are validating some of her points. Why not take this opportunity to learn instead of calling Christina a 'liar' and 'pampered princess'? Perhaps if you listen to what women are looking for more often you won't be entirely miserable.

April 20, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. jack merridew

ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THE INTELLIGENCE AND HUMOR THING! NO, IF THAT WERE TRUE, I'D TELL A FEW JOKES, QUOTES SOME SCHOLARS, AND PULL THE W@NG OUT. (OF COURSE IN A MUCH MORE RESPECTFUL WAY AND SUAVE WAY).

JUST LIEK THE "DUMB BLONDE" WHO GETS NO WHERE MEANINGFUL WITHOUT PERSONALITY, MEN WITH PERSONALITY GET NO WHERE WITHOUT LOOKS...

im sorry your ugly and have no game

April 20, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. David

I love these little articles that come out telling us men "what to remember." Then the women respond saying Way to go and Yeah tell em Christina.. Well ladies its a two way street, what YOU need to remember is have to be paid attention to as well and its not always ABOUT YOU! Its nice when you compliment us as well and this stygma where its all about us pursuing you and making you feel good and attractive is so bias. I love women and I love my future wife but theres never going to be a time when I dont notice other women and find them attractive and its total BS for Christina to sit there and say she doesnt do the same thing. Have you seen her Husband? Intelligence and Humor are great but people are people and there is always something new and exciting out there.

April 20, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. Elaine

The men who are posting are really angry for some reason. So angry that they aren't paying attention to what she is saying. There is a lot more that goes into it, but the jest of what she says is correct. It seems that the guys don't want to pay attention to that. If you notice the posts they are mad because they aren't handsome, don't have money, are unhappy in their marriages. I haven't seen one post from a confident man who isn't the most handsome and who doesn't have the most money, but is HAPPY WITH THEMSELVES! When you are unhappy with yourself, you don't pay attention to the things that can help you because you can see the good. I hope they learn to see the good.

April 20, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jjurado

Wow, there are a lot of bitter guys on this board. Yes, being somewhat physically attractive helps, but she's right, I am far more attracted to my husband when he's being witty and charming. Looks might get you through the front door, but wit, intellect, and a little consideration keep you there.

Before you guys start screaming about evil women – I'm not denying there're out there – why don't you examine your own obvious prejudices? A few comments here stink of misogyny.

April 20, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. James

good to see they only polled women when naming her the most beautiful – Men would have picked someone else. Also- good to see what has worked for her marriage, but what in the world makes her an authority on the subject, and/or worth listening to? Just keep your "advice" to yourself, since it is all based on one man. I'll listen when she's dated every man in the world, and can actually make an informed decision on the do's/don'ts of love. This is Hollywood, sweetie. No one's paying you to think, or say anything that isn't scripted.

April 20, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  16. jim

most women think they are above men. well ......at least my wife does.they have no idea what their mental games and need for domination do to the soul of a man or if they do they dont care anyway.
    being married is the perfect ad for not getting married

April 20, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  17. Dan E

Cute little story from a pampered little princess. Tell the truth ladies. The thing that gets a woman hot and bothered is that one HUGE thing in a man's pants that every woman wants........HIS WALLET!!! The women of today's world are about as shallow as a puddle. Now bring on the responses because I know I just ruffled a bunch of hen's feathers!!!

April 20, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  18. gestault

Wow...sage advice...Seriously, she seems intelligent, and I think she's beautiful, but... She's the against type 'it' girl of the moment. For the run of 'Mad Men' anyway. I like looking at her and watching her act. I'll probably look elsewhere for life advice. Keep getting your picture taken, in provocative clothes,kiddo..cause .we forget about you if we don't see photos pretty often...

April 20, 2010 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  19. BRYAN S

April 20, 2010 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  20. Mike

Nice to know that everything I've ever said can and will be held against me in the court of female opinion. No wonder the older I get, the more I enjoy my solitude and pray for my wife to find someone - ANYone - else...

April 20, 2010 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  21. ScrapSupply

Thannks Chris!!

CHECK OUT: http://scrapsupply.blogspot.com/2010/04/tiger-still-strong-in-singapore.html

!!!!

April 19, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  22. darlene d

Thank you Christina for sending that message. Its so true and most men need a wake up call! Lets hope that men who read Esquire will take notes.

April 19, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jessica

This is amusing, especially since so much of it is true. I had to smile a few times in reading her comments because I recognized similarities in my own relationship with my husband. I like the "we remember what you were wearing and the street corner you were standing on when you said it." It's true! lol.

April 19, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Head Diva In Charge

I already thought Christina was great because she refused to buy into the stereo type of the Hollywood body – now she is great because of who she is.
    Don't ever loose that!