April 16th, 2010

Life without 'Grey's' is great for Katherine Heigl

Katherine Heigl recently confirmed reports that she's done with "Grey's Anatomy," and so far, it looks like she made the right choice.

"Life is great, it's really family oriented right now which feels fantastic, and feels as it should be," Heigl told Entertainment Tonight.

Her exit from the soapy medical drama had nothing to do with her growing film career (next up: the action comedy "Killers" and another rom-com, "Life As We Know It") and everything to do with her adopted infant daughter, Naleigh, Heigl said.

"They change every month so monumentally that every month she's a new kid," the actress told ET. "She just started walking this weekend, she started talking more last month, and if I were missing that right now, I would just be devastated."

Heigl did mention a little bit of remorse about ditching alter-ego Izzie Stevens. "I'm gonna miss things for sure," she said of her "Grey's" departure. "I'm still a working mom, but I'm really grateful that I have the time with her that I do now."

Filed under: Celebrities • Grey's Anatomy • Katherine Heigl • television

1. Felicia

Well, I'm sure she'll stay busy with her full schedule of not being on TV or starring in movies or doing anything else that anyone is willing to pay money to participate in.

July 2, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. Say What?

She's not one of my fave actresses, but at least she understands the importance of being there for your kid. This could be one less Hollywood problem child if she does it right.

April 19, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. socellid

i hope katherine and her husband enlist their adopted daughter into korean language courses at a young age so she can learn her own language and keep part of her culture...even through all the money and glitz and glam, this baby will never truly feel she belongs in that family...i pray that if one day she asked katherine to find her real parents, katherine will willingly oblige in helping her do so!...

April 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ella jay

@lea ... we may be judging someone we don't "know", but it is someone who purposely spends a bunch of her time in the public eye, and not silently, either. when she "removed" herself from emmy consideration that one year because she felt she wasn't given enough good material to work with ... well, if that wasn't the height of egotism, i don't know what is. a classy person would have acted her role, humbly waited to see if she was nominated, and if not, gone about her business, knowing that other better actresses were nominated because they were better actresses. for her to have jumped up and not only publicly made an excuse for not being nominated, but actually blamed her lack of nomination on the material ... it just made her appear stupid and totally self-absorbed. i daresay that no matter what material given her, an excellent actress would have turned the material excellent.

we are judging what she does in public and what she says in public, and personally, i think she is too full of herself. so, no, i dont "know" her, but i do read and she is a no-class starlet who thankfully is removing herself from our viewing eye. for that i am thankful to her.

April 18, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ella jay

she made the cardinal mistake that happens to so many newly-minted tv "stars". she believes her own PR. she may have been good in grey's, but her movies are so light that ... well, if this is acting, then i personally deserve an oscar.

so many new mothers feel as if they invented motherhood and she seems no different. i do wish her well and i certainly hope that she becomes so involved in motherhood that we don't have to hear from her ever again.

April 18, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lea

You people are unbelievable. You have no idea what it takes to work on television or movies. It takes time, and a lot of it. It's a job that sometimes is like working two jobs. Many, many hours.
    You are judging somone that you don't know at all. Actors are not like the people you see on the screen. The characters they play are just that, characters. If someone wants to change directions in their life, what difference should it make to you. If she wants to spend more time with her child, who's business is it, really?
    People think they know actors because of the roles they play.
    They don't.
    You all need to grow up, look in the mirror and get a life.
    When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.
    There is a lot more out there to get mad or upset about, really.

April 18, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. gabe

Give Katherine a break she only quit the show cause she didn't want to miss her daughter growing up! How would you feel if you missed your kids first words of first steps...! She just wants to spend time with her daughter i'm sure she didn't want to disappoint the fans! You all are judging from the facts you hear from the media you don't actually know the real facts...so stop judging her! She was a great actress and I will miss her from the show...I loved her and Alex!!!

April 18, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. kev

the show went downhill when burke left. his character brought a sense of professionalism to the show. AND George, the gay guy, sleeping with every hot nurse, intern and resident on the show... please. that was the most absurd part of grey's. now callie is a lesbian? like i said, when burke left, the show lost its way.

April 18, 2010 at 5:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. ScrapSupply

SOUTH PARKS GOES TO BROADWAY

April 17, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ScrapSupply

check out TV's greatest characters @ http://scrapsupply.blogspot.com/2010/04/scrapsupplys-top-knotch-tv-characters.html

April 17, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ScrapSupply

ACKNOWLEDGING MUSIC

April 17, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lily

i love katherine. i think people have misinterpreted her actions and think she is being a brat. I think she could have maybe phrased things better. We don't know whats happening on the grey's set so we really can't judge.

I do think her character on grey's went downhill, but I don't know if we can blame that on the actor or the writer. But I believe the story lines on grey's have gone downhill in general. I stopped watching half way through this season after watching all of the other seasons religiously, so that says a lot.

Either way I'm glad she had moved on to movies. She was too good for mainstream Tv anyways

April 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. paul

Could we please just stop with Katherine Heigl!!! I mean, seriously. She is a b-list actress with mediocre talent. Remember before Grey's Anatomy the only big movie role she took was to be in the horribly bad sequel to ROMIE AND MICHELLE.

April 17, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. Hayley

I know Heigl's the media's favorite chew toy, but I adore her. Deal.

April 17, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sis

I don't watch Grey's anymore since the writing went downhill. But very glad I'll continue to watch Katherine on the big screen.

April 17, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  16. POOKIESMOMA

SHE WASNT HAPPY BEING ON THE SHOW-LET HER GO. IN 6 MONTHS WE WILL BE SAYING KATHERINE WHO? WAKE UP GIRL- YOU ARENT A GOOD ACTRESS. ANYONE COULD HAVE PLAYED YOUR LITTLE ROLE AND PROBABLY HAVE DONE IT BETTER. IT AMAZES ME HOW HOLLYWOOD IS SO QUICK TO LABEL ANYONE A "STAR". YOU HAVE ONE KITTLE BIT OF SUCESS AND YOU ARE THE NEXT BEST THING. OLD HOLLYWOOD HAD IT RIGHT- YOU HAD TO PROVE YOURSELF AND THEN YOU WERE CALLED A "STAR". NOW JUST GET A LITTLE BIT POPULAR AND YOU ARE IT. AND THEN IN 1 YEAR YOU ARE GONE AND THE NEXT BIG THING IS HERE. (TWILIGHT "STARS" I MEAN YOU- YOU SUCK)

April 17, 2010 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  17. foil

Hope she didn't adopt that baby from Russia.

April 17, 2010 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
  18. Tracey

She's not missed.

April 17, 2010 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jennifer

I'm sure the cast of Grey's is better off without her!

April 17, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  20. Millie

Is Grey's still on?

April 16, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  21. greysfanforlife

I am in love with Greys Anatomy and Izzie was one of my fave characters because her character was so optimistic and everything. I really loved her character and I'm going to miss her but I gotta say I wouldn't be able to watch Greys Anatomy if Cristina wasn't on it cause Cristina is amazing <3. She's funny, dramatic and she plays her role very well. :) I can live without Izzie on the show but I'll miss her!

April 16, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  22. kittyc

"Izzie" needed to go a long time ago!! Don 't miss her at all!

April 16, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Carys

I just wish she would make up her mind. First, she constnatly dissed the show, was killed off, begged to get her job back, took off for most of the next season to do a movie and THEN decided to adopt a child and take off more time, and then complained to the media – AGAIN – saying that her phone calls were not returned when she called in to say she was ready to return to the show. She's a publicist's nightmare – no wonder she can't keep one. But don't expect the whining to stop just b/c she's off GA – she's already complaining about what dyeing her hair for the Stephanie Plum role did to it and from now on she will only wear a wig if a role calls for a change in appearance. Why did she bother to become an actress when she seems to hate so many things most actors and actresses are expected to do?

April 16, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jackie Kennedy

bad actress

April 16, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Grey Rzeznik

Loved Izzie with Denny. When he died, the show ceased to interest me. When he "came back", and then Izzie didn't want to choose between him and Alex, I was over the whole thing permanently. I watched two episodes when George died and that's it. It's a bunch of whiny characters that grate on my last nerve.
    Besides, it's on the same time as Supernatural so the choice is obvious. :)

April 16, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Shel

People have every right to leave any job to spend more time with their family, if that is what they want and can afford to do. She just adopted a baby, for goodness sake! That requires Katherine to be home more. It doesn't matter if we miss her or not, on TV or in movies, this is HER REAL life and she is living it. Good for her, and good for the baby who actually gets her mommy's love and attention everyday!

April 16, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  27. LBW

She could do a good job playing Stephanie Plum in the One for the Money. If she starts that whiny diva crap then maybe not.

April 16, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Mari

I agree with barb. Why can't the Izzie Stevens character be played by someone else? I liked the story of Izzie and Alex.

April 16, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  29. kate

hope she does well. Did miss her not anymore

April 16, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  30. jpwAK

And, Greys without Katherine Heigl is equally great. Don't get me wrong, I liked her in movies, but don't miss her on my favorite TV show.

April 16, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  31. safiyyah

She sucks, I'm glad she's gone!

April 16, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Cdn Chick

Love Katherine in the movies....HATED her on Grey's...

April 16, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  33. ANDYASU

I have read she is the lead actress for the first book, "One For the Money," in the Stephanie Plum novel series by Janet Evanovich.

April 16, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  34. DaveinCA

Emily,
    I totally agree. I can't stand any of her "work" anymore. I'm a daddy of two, work 60+ hours a week, and still find plenty of time to be with my kids.

“The key is not to prioritize what's on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities.” `Stephen Covey

April 16, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  35. EmilyNC

I liked her character a long time ago, and I thought she was a decent actress. But then she started complaining about the show and being a prima donna about everything and for me, it came through her character. I just don't think she was a particularly believable character the last couple of seasons, even though the character itself was important to the rest of the storyline. It's hard for me to take someone seriously after they bite the hand that really made their career, unless they're an excellent actor. I wouldn't call her excellent. Just pretty good. So it stopped working for me.

April 16, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  36. PRINCESS

Yeah she turned into McSnotty!

April 16, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  37. barb

Why can't they recast the role of Izzie? Soaps and TV shows used to do that. Cast another person and continue on with the story that people were invested in if the person playing the character left the show in the midddle of a story line.

April 16, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  38. Head Diva In Charge

I bet the cast of "Grey's" feels the same way :)

April 16, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |