April 14th, 2010

Yet another departure for 'Idol'

Looks like some of the viewers aren’t the only ones abandoning “American Idol” this season.

In the midst of fans complaining about the lackluster talent this season and a reported ratings loss to “Dancing with the Stars” comes news that “Idol” is losing its music director.

Rickey Minor will make his on-air debut as the new music director on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” on June 7. He will replace Kevin Eubanks, who recently announced he is leaving after 18 years with the show.

On "Idol," he has been an important member of the team, helping to guide the contestants through their performances.

Contestants and Ryan Seacrest have often offered up thanks to "Rickey and the band" for artfully executed arrangements and great playing.

Seems like folks are jumping ship left and right on "Idol," with Paula leaving, the announcement that this will be Simon Cowell's last season and now the loss of Minor.

Could it be that they have, like long time fans, taken note that the show just isn't what it used to be? The judges have not been thrilled this season with some of the song arrangements so I wonder if that at all played into the parting of ways between the show and Minor.

And it will be interesting to see who "Idol" replaces Minor with for next season. New judge Ellen DeGeneres has gone on record as saying she has a vote in who replaces Simon Cowell and I wonder if she will play any role in naming Minor's replacement.

1. Tina Davis

American Idol going down hill fast, We have to stop letting Media control what we talk about or watch,,,,,,,, think about it, here we sit talking about it, which gives American Idol more coverage,,,,,,,, I am now making a promise, never to watch it, read about ,it or talk about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope more people join me

April 17, 2010 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. Tina Davis

I agree with hoping American Idol going down hill fast, We have to stop letting Media control what we talk about or watch,,,,,,,, think about it, here we sit talking about it, which gives American Idol more coverage,,,,,,,, I am now making a promise, never to watch it read about it or talk about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope more people join me

April 17, 2010 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. Davis

i can sing

April 16, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nick

Ricky totally stole the show the few times contestants have dared to have him on stage with them. I was waiting for Simon to say, "When you watch the playback, realize you were completely upstaged by Ricky Minor. When you see him, that's what I mean by have some personality."

April 16, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. marie yost

Idol is a mess. I usually agree with Simon 99% of the time; but last night he must have had his mind up KARA'S butt ; because he was totally wrong. I among others are disappointed with htis show; it used to be my favorite. And Ellen is way in left field; doesn't know whats going on. She'll critizise and the say but it was really good. Lots of contridictions; no wonder the singers don't know what advice to take..

April 15, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mr. Whippett

Ryan Seacrest, Ellen Degenerate and now Adam Lambert. This show is turning into the Gay follies!!!

April 14, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MM

I am glad to see the back of Seacrist. He's a jerk and a lousy host. I will miss Simon. At least, he knows what he's talking about.

April 14, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sweste

Give it up Idol! The show is going downhill fast. Now that the contestants can play instruments, it seems that if they play a mean instrument and can't sing...that's OK. The judges decide who they like early on and never give them any real criticism all season. The ones that grow and are crowd pleasers get the criticism. And...the voting is ridiculous. Should be like some other shows with limited voting per line. Instead, there is unlimited voting, and if you have texting through their sponsor (AT&T), you can power text in thousands of extra votes–but only if it is through AT &T. What a joke!

April 14, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TampaBayOldie

Let us ALL hope and pray that this is Idol's LAST season! I've watched it from the onset and this is it. NO MORE!

Bad enough when Paula left. Without Simon Cowell Idol might just as well close up shop. Kara & Ellen are clueless. Randy is great but he can't carry it alone.

And the talent?!? WHAT talent? With the exception of MamaSox who is consistently good .. there isn't much hope.

For the first time EVER .. I am counting the weeks til its over!

April 14, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Suncatcher

Don't be so eager to write off AI. There's not a whole lot of good programming out in TV land these days to fall back on. AI at it's worst is still fun to watch. And just look at how packed the comment threads are – albeit negative – from coast to coast!

AI shot itself in the foot this season by trying to switch markets to attract more of the 'tweens' and picked 16 year old contestants like Tim, Katie and Aaron, Siobhan and all those who went before them. It's turning off their main fan base and hurting their ratings – down 6% over last year.

AI can turn it around next year by going for the Lamberts and David Cooks out there. Wait till the singing tweeners' voices change – and they decide, like Siobhan, what genre of singer they want to be when they grow up. You can't have a 16 year old Aaron trying to realistically compete with a 28 year old Adam Lambert. You get fan rage – like in season 9.

April 14, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Fred

The show has truly jumped the shark. The lack of talent this year is what is killing the concept of the show.... its about time to put this show to bed and bring on THE X-FACTOR.

April 14, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Head Diva In Charge

I think it's a natural progression to move on and do something like the Tonight Show. Good for him, I am sure Idol will have it's pick of music directors.

April 14, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. moon627

I'm sad that Kevin Eubanks is leaving the Tonight Show – i hope Rickey Minor turns out be a good addition. I dont think he's had any speaking lines on American Idol so who knows how he'll perform as the sidekick to Jay Leno...

I wouldnt call it a bailout on American Idol so much as a great opportunity to do more than play background music on a show that doesnt give him any credit except for a few shout outs from Ryan loudmouth Seacrest

Everyone is screaming that AI is doomed with the current judges and with Simon leaving ... but i dont watch the show for the judges – i watch for those breakout singers who have talent like Crystal and Lee – so i will continue watching as long as theres at least 1 singer worth watching

April 14, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Charlene

Let us remember when we would never miss an Idol show.It is time to say good bye......

April 14, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. linda

Idol is on the way out. The contestants this season are not up to star standards. I cannot even listen (or watch) Kate, she is no where near as good as she thinkis she is. Shoebhan is a flake. Possibly Lee or Crystal may be successful but mthat's a long shot. By the way last night April 13 show-Kara appeared depressed or upset. Maybe taking her clothes off was a bad idea after all.

April 14, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  16. NYbywayofTexas

In former seasons, even when I vowed not to watch IDOL, I would sneak and watch it. This season, I watched once and was so disappointed with the talent or lack thereof. I have not turned it on since and I do not miss it. IDOL, it is time to kiss it GOODBYE!

April 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jeff Dwyer

Wh do people say that American Idol isn't what it used to be? Didn't these people watch Season 5 when we had to endure Bucky Covington, Kevin Covais, or nut-case Kellie Pickler? Did everyone get excited about Elliot Yamin? Did you reaslly love to watch SanJia? And how about the supreme bore, Taylor Hicks? Thank God the show isn't what it used to be. This season's contestants may seem lack-luster compared to last season's best performer, Adam Lambert, but often the true outcome of each season is not realized until a year or two after the finale when we see people like Daughtry and Jeniffer Hutson come out with award winning albums and achieve stardom.

April 14, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Howie

What ever became of Dunckelman, or what ever his name is, the co-host of the first season? I liked him better that the glam midget Seacrest out!

April 14, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Steve S

Idol has gone too "gay" for me. Between Seacrest, Degeneres, and now especially Lambert, I simply cannot watch anymore. Degeneres would never give a conservative religious singer a chance...I am afraid she would use her biases against them.

April 14, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Howie

I have been surprised by Ellen's lack of excitement that she always had on her own show. She sits at the judges table like a bump on a log and mostly agrees with the comments of the judge who spoke just before. I say get rid of her too and add two new people with Kara and Randy.

April 14, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lew

The show was done 3 years ago. The network and production company – much like "Lost" – are milking it, with only fools like us paying attention. My big question is exactly who are these judges? That's the biggest problem with the show: Their questionable backgrounds and unabraided arrogance. The show sucks because of them and Seacrest.

April 14, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Amy

I think the time has come for Idol to call it quits.....the show this season is not even close to where it used to be I have not problem missing it at all....There is no excitement, no really good guest stars even the audience has changed. Now that Paula is gone and Simon is leaving what will be next? No disrespect to the "Dog", Ellen or Kara but the show has seen it's days. I remember when all my family and co-workers could not wait to have the "Idol" talk the day after the show aired but now no one even watches it. Now even Ricky Minor is leaving I guess Ryan will be next!
    Farewell "Idol" Rest in Peace!

April 14, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |