April 14th, 2010

TV Recap: 'Glee' is back with a vengeance

testing captions
testing captions

How do I love “Glee?”

Let me count the ways!

The gang from McKinley High returned from a break (that felt like a zillion years) and I, for one, couldn’t be more thrilled. There was drama, treachery, tension, romance and best of all, the diabolical deliciousness that is Cheerio coach Sue Sylvester.

The Gleeks had to come up with songs that featured the word “hello," which was a nice nod to the introduction new fans are receiving and the re-acquaintance of those of us who already *heart* this show.

We learn that Rachel and Finn are now officially an item, but that lasts all of ten seconds since he’s still pining for pregnant Quinn and the adoration he received when he was just the school’s star football player and not a member of the show choir.

Having blackmailed the principal to make her way back on staff, Sue is determined to break Rachel/Finn up and employs the use of cheerleaders, Santana and Brittany. I love that the writers aren’t just reserving the best lines for Sue, and I hooted when the dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks Brittany turned to Santana and said “Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?”

Rachel ripped into Finn with her rendition of All-American Rejects’ “Give You Hell." It reminded me of how seamlessly this show combines plot and music. I felt alternately happy for her and bad when Jesse St. James showed up. You just know that the star of the rival show choir, Vocal Adrenaline, is up to no good.

I am praying that their coach, played by “Wicked” star Idina Menzell, turns out to be Rachel’s mom. The two women look so much alike that when she was making out with Will Schuester on the couch, I had half a second of freak out thinking he was getting down with Rachel.

Mr. Schuester’s love life is a whole other matter and I loved the sweetness of his relationship with germaphobe and fellow teacher Emma. Even their break up was adorable.

All and all, I am just so pleased to have this show is back on the air and I can’t wait for the season to progress. And the video of Sue doing “Vogue” in anticipation of next week’s Madonna episode was GENIUS!!!

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television

1. mushymushroom

Ok boo me now.

I haven't seen the first episode of season 2.....!

Can't wait for the vogue ala Sue Sylvester video...! :)

I hope this season they will have new breakout stars...I mean give substories to mike chang (played by Harry shum jr.) et al.

April 14, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. LadyVA

I love that name Cherrios, that always makes me laugh! Definitely a great series. I just think you have to take it for what it is... its a good singing/high school drama/teacher drama show... great for a teacher!

April 14, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Head Diva In Charge

I don't know what made me laugh more, the actual episode or Sue's "Vouge" video. Love this show, glad it's back.

April 14, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sherry in the Lou

@ Paddy Shea This show is *nothing* like Fame. Fame took itself very seriously as a story about kids at the School of the arts whom all wanted to be famous one day. These are mid-wetern Ohioan High school students in a GLEE club, with only one, Rachel Berry, who thinks she will really be famous. How you think you can sum this wonderful show up after watching one episode is ridiculous. Its a fun, funny, wonderful, silly storyteller that everyone can relate to, no matter their age. I'm glad you find the vocals and choreography acceptable. Go back and watch season one, and you will find the storyline is JUST FINE.

April 14, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. OC Gleek

Another fabulous line "sometimes I forget my middle name!" Gotta love those Cheerios!
    SOOOO glad Glee is back!

April 14, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Christine

The only problem I have with "Glee" right now is the choreography between Rachel and Finn in almost every song they sing together. He looks at her, she looks dramatically at him, they run around each other on stage, pretty much like the very first song they performed in the first episode. Can't they shake that up a bit??I do wish there would be more for the other glee members to do than just always singing back up for these two.

Susan Lynch is brilliant, I have admired her since seeing her in " Best of show" and "A mighty wind" as well as the schizo mom of Dr. Reed on "Criminal Minds"

April 14, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Janet L.

Jane Lynch is brilliant. She steals the show and should get the best lines. She's been around forever and has earned the right. Go Jane!

April 14, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Loved it!

I completely agree! Glee has quickly risen to the top of my "Must See" weekly list...I can't get enough of it! The show is so brilliantly written to combine the perfect blend of story with music and last night was no exception!

The Vogue video was phenominal...or if I may quote Ms. Sylvester herself, it was "Outstanding!"

April 14, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tom

LOVED the dolphin comment...it is lines like that which make this show a riot!!! Good to see the cast back, and really enjoyed the songs too

April 14, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Paddy Shea

Last night was the first viewing of Glee ever. Because of the publicity, I had high expectations, which were somewhat disappointing. The show reminds me of the fabulous TV show Fame of the 80's, only it doesn't quite make it. The casting is superb, the vocals & choreography are fabulous, the character development and storyline need to strike a balance – it's like 98% performance and 2% story.

April 14, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Glee Lover

I've watched a lot of series, some of which were okay, some of which were good, some of which were great.

Glee? Outstanding!

April 14, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. Suie

I'm sorry, Idina, not Adina

April 14, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. Suie

I'm so glad Adina is going to be around for a while! That would be an amazing twist if she is Rachel's biological mom!

April 14, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  14. Michael

Glee was amazing last night. It seemed like the actors really had a wave of new confidence coming back, knowing their show is a bona fide pop culture phenomenon. Only adding to that will be next week's sure to be incredible Madonna episode. Can't wait!

April 14, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |