April 13th, 2010

Sarah Jessica Parker: We're not that old

Sarah Jessica Parker - star of "Sex and the City 2" and mother to two new baby girls - graces the May cover of Vogue. And she looks pretty darn good.

"We're still playing—uh, I don't know how old Carrie is! Is she about 42 now?" Parker asked in the Vogue interview. "I think Carrie's younger than I [Parker is 45], and Miranda and Charlotte are younger than they are in real life. Samantha was always the older lady, so she's 52 now and talks a lot about what comes with that. In the movie. Talks about menopause. Comedically."

Parker returned to her children and husband Matthew Broderick after filming for seven weeks in Morocco. She's beginning a new role as the president and chief creative officer of the designer fashion label Halston, but is trying to keep things at home normal.

“We painted our patio furniture ourselves…. I make my children’s food myself. We put together their high chairs ourselves; we do a lot ourselves! We do our own grocery shopping, we go to the market ourselves, you know? I do my laundry.”

This issue of Vogue hits newsstands on April 20. Read the full interview with SJP here

Filed under: Celebrities • Sarah Jessica Parker

1. Vivi

I can't wait for SATC 2 to hit theaters at the end of May.
    I'm most excited to see the vintage fashion collection that's used on set. I heard there are some great 80's looks!

Be sure to check out: http://www.vivivintage.com

April 15, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DC7

SJP gotta bangin body !

April 14, 2010 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. kel519

It's great she paints her own patio furniture and cooks for her children.
    Wow, I'm impressed! Now if she could invest a little time w/ her son, perhaps a haircut and pants that aren't floods? How does she sleep at night when she wears outfits worth thousands, while her son wears hand me downs, that don't even fit? Wonder if the girls will fair any better than poor James?

April 14, 2010 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dani in AZ

She looks great for 45. I wish that when I'm at that age I can look that good. She is a great actress and good for her that she can juggle being a successful actress, designer, wife, and mother when she has the option of someone doing it for her. She is a good person and I admire her realness. Anyone who thinks otherwise or cuts her down really is just covering up their own insecurities (psy 101)

April 14, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. seriously

She does a lot herself ?? including the EXTENSIVE airbrushing to her busted up face....sure she does, just like the rest of us.

April 13, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ish

Oh and patNY...........some people actually have washers and dryers in their homes............I do......... and I live in a trailer.

Why would it not occur to you that the Brodericks have appliances in their NYC home?

Just because you can't afford one – don't throw stones at those who can.

April 13, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ish

Those who can – DO.

Those who can't are jealous and put rude posts on this site.

SJP works harder than any of us. I for one admire her tenacity and abilities. I wish I had her energy, beauty and talent.

April 13, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. girlygirl66

Actually I think she's proud that she does all that stuff herself, because most of Hollywood's famous have so much money that they hire others to do it...she doesn't. So more power to you Sarah Jessica, because even if they won't admit it...if the haters on this page had the amounts of money you do, they'd probably hire someone to do some of that stuff for them as well...I know I would. LOL – Just keepin it real :)

April 13, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. tehheh

Why do people complain about this woman's looks? There's nothing wrong with her. JFK Jr. and Robert Downey Jr. didn't have a problem with her. Most of us should look as good as she does. The people who wonder why she makes the comments about doing housework is because she grew up kinda poor. I believe she feels very fortunate to have what she haves, and that she feels a little guilty.

April 13, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. girlygirl66

I think she's fabulous. The show is great, and so are the other stars. Go Girls!!! Never mind the haters :)

April 13, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. amy love

She is just to old to play these parts anymore. I used to think she resembled a horse, but now she just looks like an old worn out mule. Get real

April 13, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ira

Funny how celebs post stuff like "i cook for my children"...Ummmm most of the world does honey.

April 13, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. hutch

amy – your comment to peter pan the man was GREAT! sjp is awesome. love her!

April 13, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Artie's busted gut

Carrie's in need of a Dirty Sanchez.

April 13, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jennifer

Who says as an actress and designed she isn't working crazy hours. Being on set early etc isn't all glamour you know. As for her doing her own laundry and chores and such it proves that she wants to show her kids how to be responsible and not spoiled. She can certainly afford to have a housekeeper to do the cooking and the cleaning but she wants to take care of her family herself. I find that admirable.

April 13, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  16. SANDI GLAUSER

But the majority of movie stars DON'T do their own laundry....I think that is the point. While the majority of us must do those everyday jobs, SJP wouldn't have to, but she does it to stay grounded. SO while we don't have the option of having someone else do our work for us... she does. I think that is the point of talking about it when you are one of the very rich!

April 13, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Michelle

The majority of people DO their OWN laundry, cooking, etc.....but the majority of people ALSO have to simultaneously have to work 40-60 hours a week, decide between healthy for dinner OR cheap, or more importantly how they are going to pay their rent!! I adore Sarah Jessica Parker but this interview comes off as if she is praising herself for what others do everyday! Remember not everyone has the option of not doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 13, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rita

This show was more fun, interesting and sharp than say, Friends...Jennifer Aniston cannot hold a candle to SJP, and has always been a poorer imitation....More Power to the Sequel!

April 13, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Judi

love love love it – can't wait

April 13, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jill

Two words, "Square Pegs".

April 13, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  21. patNY

SJP is NYC gal...I'm from NYC and I've personally seen SJP shopping in Whole Foods for her family...of course, I've not seen her doing laundry at the 24 hour mat.

April 13, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  22. amy

hey, peter pan the man...
    I bet YOUR face looks like the back end of my horse when he whips his tale.
    SJP is real. VERY rich, but still real. She is setting a good example for her kids, and what more can you ask for???
    You're a pile.

April 13, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  23. H

MEOW

April 13, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Rich

Heh...the show is total Cinderella fantasy but it's entertaining and fun to watch – they did a good job of giving their viewers a "girls nite out" each episode, no crime in that. It's not much different than any romantic comedy women watch every summer.

April 13, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Dmonster

Ew. She does not look good. Maybe she's held up well, but well-kept ugly is still ugly.

April 13, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Lynnet

love the show and movies...its deliciously girlie. Hector sit down...go and watch an episode of "Ice Road Truckers." As long as them truckers are wearing cute shoes I might too! :)

April 13, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Denizen Kate

"And she looks pretty darn good." So would I, if I had her resources (the professional photoshop work, the special lighting techniques, the stylists, etc. etc. etc.). And the author of this article makes it sound as if she looks good in spite of having "two new baby girls" when those girls were the result of using a surrogate mother. Hollywood is not real life, people!

April 13, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  28. peter pan the man

Her face looks like a foot!

April 13, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Deb

SJP–probably one of the classiest acts in Hollywood. SATC–cannot WAIT for the next one!!! Love those girls!!!

April 13, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Hildalinda

Hector,
    Sorry you don't get it.

April 13, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Janet L.

SJP is someone who had success quite young and kept on challenging herself and working hard. It shows in her great career and family life. Love Carrie and all the gals! Keep keepin' it real, ladies.

April 13, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Stan

Butters, remember how you put the Moose suit on SJP?

April 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Hector

only thing dumber then the show itself is the people who star in it and the people who watch!! True Story

April 13, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  34. bigbill327

AAHHH This one is to easy..

April 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jackie Kennedy

Yeah go Menopause!

April 13, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Head Diva In Charge

I love SJP, and I love SATC! I think she seems like a really good genuine women, and it's just a plus that she is on a fantastic show/movie!

April 13, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |