April 13th, 2010

'Idol' Top 9 take to the stage for part deux

testing captions
testing captions

9:19 p.m. –Am I allowed to say that my favorite part of the show tonight was the introduction of the cast of "Glee" in the audience? I squealed a little bit every time I spotted Jane Lynch behind Simon!

There is just something wrong about Seacrest introducing the "very sexy Casey James." Casey sings "Lawdy Ms. Clawdy," and I like it. He, MamaSox and Lee are the most consistent performers this season.

Casey looks a little worried though. I hope his sexy will help keep him around for another week.

9:10 p.m. –"Baby, What You Want Me To Do?"

Very valid question from Katie Stevens to the judges and a very saucy performance from her. Little Ms. Katie worked that song!

Simon was "annoyed," but like the audience, I was with her for this one. She owned it, and I'm not mad at her.

9:02 p.m. – Ouch!

Seacrest dissed former "Idol" co-host Brian Dunkleman hard! He joked that Brian would be hosting a part of "Idol Gives Back" next week. That was just mean!

"Big Mike" Lynche selects "In the Ghetto" and while I loved his voice, I'm not sure it will be enough to get the votes.

As it was pointed out, it was a tad bit sleepy. But there is no doubt that he's a great singer.

8:51 p.m.– Siobhan "Screech" Magnus is looking super cute tonight, and she reminds me of a short-haired Sara Silverman for some reason.

I'm not at all surprised that she's a big Elvis fan. She lets Adam know that she's been compared to him.

She certainly goes for his theatrics, beginning "Suspicious Minds" with her back to the audience and staring straight into the camera. I know I am supposed to be moved, but something just seemed off.

I agree with Kara DioGuardi (shocking, I know) in that I didn't love it. Siobhan has her say in that she can't be labeled. That might be a problem for America, sweets.

As for the comparison, Adam Lambert would have knocked that song out of the park.

8:40 p.m. – Little Aaron Kelly has his collar up.

So adorable! He showed way more attitude on "Blue Suede Shoes" than I expected, but I could have done without some of the dance moves.

At first I thought he was going to fake himself out by saying the song probably wasn't a good choice for him. The girls were going crazy in the audience and I am imagining that his fan base really enjoyed that.

Simon thinks Tim was better than Aaron. Wow.

8:36 p.m. – I'll say this for Lee Dewyze – he clearly took Lambert's advice to heart.

He connects with the audience during "A Little More Conversation" (even though he turns his back on them at the very end). His performance was more Elvis than anyone else so far.

His voice was in great form and you can tell Lee is in it to win it. He gets kudos all around and they are well deserved.

8:27 p.m. – Mama Seacrest is a cutie! I dig her.

"Can't Help Falling in Love With You" gets the "TUrban" treatment. And we once again have the cheesy split screen for half a sec. And Seacrest breaks into a dance in the audience.

This whole performance had me picturing Tim singing in a scene from some as-yet-cast teen show.  The flash of his friends in the audience showed them looking less than moved, but the judges are all aboard the Tim Train.

Is this some Jedi-like mind trick where they fawn over Urban in the hopes that the fans vote against? And did Simon really say he went from "zero to hero?"

I'm baffled.

8:16 p.m.– Bad karaoke alert!

I dig Andrew Garcia, but his version of "Hound Dog" reminded me of the being in Vegas way, way, way off The Strip. All I needed was a warm, watered-down drink and some stale snacks.

Ellen gets points for mentioning his lack of swagger, but then lost a few for thinking it was a good performance. I feel like he is so lost without his guitar. Andrew is in some serious trouble, having apparently peaked during the auditions.

That was so painful to type.

8:05 p.m. – So the rumors were correct, and we are off to Las Vegas for an Elvis-themed night.

This is why Lambert is so savvy. Right up front, he addresses that he is super green in the industry. He also hits the nail on the head by saying the contestants need more energy and to step up their performance game. And perhaps some "guy-liner?"

Seacrest manages a joke about Lambert's tongue. You are sooooo edgy Ryan.

First out of the box with "Saved" is Crystal Bowersox.

As always, MamaSox delivers. You would have thought they were having revival up in that theater. She's just beyond. She rocked it out, and I really need her album to drop already. For reals.

Filed under: American Idol 2010 • television

1. Ruby

Is anyone else tired of Ryan Seacrest? He's inserted himself into the show way more than I remember in past years. I wish he'd just fade into the background and keep his extraneous remarks to himself.

April 14, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Just A Thought

Lisa, does a great job on this blog! I could care less if she has a grammer error! I'm not grading this blog and she is not submitting it for your grade either! If your not familiar with slang, too bad! Google it, maybe it will explain it to you! O 'Google' is an internet search engine. It helps people find things on the internet.

only disagree with one thing – "guyliner" no such thing! It's sold in the womens dept. – enough said!

April 14, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Stewart

That's funny, I commented on the "for reals" thing last night, and it didn't get posted for some reason. But her grammar isn't perfect in most of her sentences, so why expect more from her? This show is geared towards the younger generation anyway, so she could probably write her entire article in textspeak and be ok.

April 14, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Just A Thought

First off, let me say Adam Lambert was great on AI! But he is nothing like he was then; his tone of voice, stage presence, is way off. He would never make the top 24 if he was to do it again. He put on an act last year and now we have the 'real' Adam and it's a sad impression of what we saw last year.

Bottom 3 will be Andrew, Aaron, Big Mike....all 3 could go home now and it would be fine with me, but Big Mike will be safe this time

April 14, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. tom

just watched the new season for the first time – besides Bowersox they are ALL forgettable – Glee actors / singers seem to be more talented than these poor kids that are thrown into the arena of public delightment – thumb down on all of them and AI and, most of all, thumb down on Seacrest-Ford-Walmart Infomercials............whatta waste of time – and Adam Lambert was clearly too nice (same with Simon Cowell)...I mean, come on, "They all have good voices??????" Whatta piece of TV adjusted BS.....they needed the ratings to go up – that's why they brought Adam back – He won't "bite the hand that fed him".......Good night America and Good Luck!

April 14, 2010 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  6. Cierra Norman

I think Aaron is adorable and he put all his heart and soul into that Elvis Presley song . and his performance was amazing performance . He was greater then Tim and Shioban
    I like Shioban's voice but I am unsure of what kind of music she will have out if she is chosen because her voice is always changing but all her voices are still unique . I Think Crystal was the Best that night and she is her best every time she goes on stage so she should be the next American Idol

April 14, 2010 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. Nessa99

Now that i got that off of my chest, on to the show..

Tim did much better this week again, he did a great job! I really liked Adam Lambart as a mentor, he had some really good things to say! Crystal was the usual, nothing different, did great. Big Mike drives me nuts. He is just so blah. send him home. Andrew (hes been my favorite) Did okay, i thought he did a great job until the judges bashed it.. oh well. Lee did great! loved his performance! I voted for lee and andrew tonight.. Siobhan was pitchy and i ended up changing the channel before she finished the song. Katie did pretty good, could have belted it more, but i liked her! Aaron, ohh go home little guy.. Casey, ok, didnt remember that performance much..

looking forward to see who will be the next voted off.

April 14, 2010 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Nessa99

Wow. Dan O- How rude are you!? If you had that opinion when you read through her blog, keep it to yourself and go to the next blog. why would you write that? We are talking about the show, comments on AMERICAN IDOL is what is written on here, have you noticed? No one bashes Lisa, shes great. Just dont read her blog next time if you think its so juvenile.

And to Chipp- your rude too! thats rediculas, "turn your job over to a younger abled body" Are you serious? How would you even know how old she is, and who cares?? if you dont agree with her, its fine.. its all about your own opinion, its american idol for cryin out loud!

April 14, 2010 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. DanO

For reals?? Did you really type that in your report on this show? How old are you, 12??? Seriously, if you are over 21 and wrote " For reals" in your report you should be FIRED!!!!!! No rational thinking human should give a damn about our comments or give you one freakin' once of credibility for writing such a childish comment. You fool.

April 14, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. Chipp

So, Lisa, if Simon's comment of Urbans performance "baffled" you quite likely you are experiencing some form of disconnect or your finding it difficult to do these recaps w/o some form of bias. Time to move on lady; turn the job over to a younger, abled body who can be objective.

April 13, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Memphis88

A whole show of Elvis songs and not a single mention of Memphis? How the hell does that happen?

April 13, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. idolfan

agree with you noelle, best mentor yet and i'm not even a huge fan of his.

April 13, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Noelle

I think Adam Lambert was the best mentor yet....Lee DeWyze..yes, the rest No. But that is a hard act to follow!

April 13, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. idolfan

ps. Hope Ryan goes too, he is so irritating and his arm swing and point just creps me out, he should be embarrassed, his mom must have bene cringing watching him, he's so childish, I agree glee cast, big L on his head.

April 13, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. idolfan

very mixed reviews so tomorrow should be interesting and maybe a shocker as views are all over the place.
    My pics for tonight only
    1 lee
    2 crystal
    3 tim
    then in the middle I'll put casey, mike, shibahn, maybe andrew for tonight (closed my eyes and it was quite listenable)
    my worst aaron (he is just too small and young for me to take seriously), katie second worst, too much head moves and her begging just annoyed me, so did andrew's pretend nose pick.
    i'd like to see aaron, katie and andrew or mike bottom 3, but i'm expecting it to be shiobahn (as a shock), andrew and aaron, hopefully with aaron going home. mike going soon too, save won't last long, great voice but boring.

April 13, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  16. wherstheloo

Lee was the only good one in this bunch this rounds. i like crystal, but i'm getting sick of her same sound. lee has a pretty cool rocker voice that is fun to listen to. i think casey and lee should be the duo at the end.

April 13, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  17. JackoB

Top 9, I should say. Forget that whatsherface was ever there. Or ever gone. Whoops.

April 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. JackoB

Crystal, Lee, and Casey are my top picks. Katie close behind them. They're the reason I keep watching... It's an otherwise rather unimpressive top 10. I think it's definitely Andrew's time to go, and I think Aaron will get the boot too. I think Big Mike might have a boost in popularity and interest this week because of the mysterious magical Save, but I think his voting base has changed sides and it's too late for him – this week or the next.

April 13, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Sara

1.Lee
    2. Crystal
    3. Siobhan
    4. Katie
    5. Casey
    6. Aaron
    7. Mike
    8 Tim
    9. Andrew

April 13, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Natalie

Ok, too funny that you were mentioning vibrato because I was doing my own Casey impersonations after watching him perform. Baaaaaaaah. lol I do like him, but the vibrato needs some major work. Wish I could give him some tips. Actually, you would think that one of the musicians would have already been all over that. Anyway...

I enjoyed Crystal, Lee and Katie this evening. Not usually a Katie fan, but thought she did well tonight.

April 13, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Ike

Adam turns out to be the most genuine, most on point and most credible MONTOR the show has ever had in my view. Just blew me off with his precise coaching techniques. Just amazing. Adam you are really good. Keep it up.

April 13, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  22. CONANDO

dat is you stewart

April 13, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  23. CONANDO

right on mozart, crystal and her old school cool blues and rock, i will buy as well..and to all you bums that keep complaining about the show and wishing it over...dont take up space on here

April 13, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  24. TIm is awesome

well rumor has it that simon is trying to bring the x factor to the united states or some show like that.

April 13, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  25. calandra8

great review-but isn't it 'a little less conversation' not a little more..?

April 13, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Stewart

I think this Idol is done after this season. After this years bad performances and even worse judging, they would have to pull in some amazing talent to get people to watch it next year.

April 13, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. TIm is awesome

I am surprise out all these comments only 1 person had a negative commment against tim, he is getting better, but 2 people are going home I believe tomorrow since there was a save, my take is

9. Andrew
    8. Katie
    7. Siobhan
    6. aaron
    5. lee
    4. tim
    3. mike
    2. Crystal
    1. Casey

April 13, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  28. mushymushroom

Haha...yeah the Lynch is soooooo cool...isn't it weird she's supposed to be hated coz she's the villain but she's getting a lot of love! Just like Simon Cowell in AI, he's the meanest but have to admit it guys, he's the most loved..! Ironic huh..?!

Anyway Casey is good and has a lot of potential, I hope as the season goes we'll see more of him growing up as an artist.

April 13, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  29. protogere

Mozart – I know, it just stopped. I thought my tv went mute.

April 13, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jim

OK...here is my take...
    1. Crystal
    2. Siobhan
    3. Lee
    4. Katie
    5. Casey
    6. Mike
    7. Aaron
    8. Tim
    9. Andrew

April 13, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  31. willyboy

I missed casey's performance- guess i didn't miss much–

April 13, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  32. protogere

Casey is just another Crystal, so very talented and always plays it so close to the chest he fails to take a single risk. Bleh

April 13, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  33. mozart4898

Someone teach Casey how to use proper vibrato – so he doesn't sound like a goat on longer notes. If he can do that, he may convince me he's an even better singer than I think now. It's just a hangup I have with some singers...that vibrato is really really annoying.

And it kinda felt like it was going somewhere and then died suddenly...weird?

April 13, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Cindy

Big Mike should have given a big thank you to Siobhan for picking that song out for him since he got praised for the arrangment... But they bash her singing...so wrong she is good

April 13, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jim

Katie wins 1st place on American Karaoke. But she is sassy cute!

April 13, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  36. willyboy

this week's performace by Katie is her best ever. She's more confident than ever, and she's picking good songs.

April 13, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  37. mozart4898

Honestly at this point Katie's about the best "performer" we've seen tonight. She's got a great sounding natural voice – I think I've finally figured it out – she needs to figure out how to really just belt it out – that gravelly, edgy sound that she almost got at a few points. It sounds too much like she's trying to be powerful and yet still restrained a bit too much.

April 13, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  38. mushymushroom

Have to agree...Tim is getting good.
    Though I'm not sure if that's good news or not...lol

April 13, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. skip

Man, Kara loved Katie's song, yet trashes Siobhan? I can't wait to watch the drool run from her mouth when Casey goes on stage.

April 13, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mary

Hmmm – have to agree with Simon – I've heard singers like Katy before – nothing that special. I would never fork over $.99 on iTunes for that.

April 13, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  41. protogere

I didn't like Katie's performance at all, she didn't sound like a teenage girl, she sounded and looked like a karaoke singer in a bar. Yes, she has the vocal capacity, but she just doesn't deliver.

April 13, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jim

What's with the head bob Katie. You remind me of the cute little bobble-head puppy on the dashboard.

April 13, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  43. willyboy

Katie's turning up the heat! what a voice!!!!

April 13, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  44. skip

OK, I just don't get the Siobhan bashing on Idol. I was always a Kara defender after a rough 1st season and lots of criticisms this year. But she drools over Casey who sounds like a bar band singer, yet trashes Ms Magnus whose voice is world's better. Aaron...loser, Andrew...snooze, Michael...sounds like a broken record, Crystal...solid again. Dewyze...great voice, but is still a stiff on stage. I hate the conflicting, often biased comments. They have their favorites. AI sucks this year.

April 13, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Cindy

I think Siobhan has lost her mojo after being told by Simon he had enough of her high pitch scream every week. After her first bad review she went away. I think she can sing and I will vote for her.

April 13, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  46. mozart4898

Meh and there goes this week's comment to get lost in the blob abyss for unknown reasons...basically, I thought Mike sounded good, I just don't know how well that's gonna energize people to vote for him.

April 13, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  47. petlady

what does aanyone rrreeaaaaaallllllllly think of mike ??

April 13, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  48. protogere

I was trying to remember who that was Lisa, I forgot about the season 1 host.

April 13, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Mary

The camera loves Siobhan – she looked fabulous – and I thought the judges were harder on her than they needed to be. I'm not sure what that's about – to hear their remarks you would have thought she was terrible! l liked it! I also like that she suggested that song for Big Mike – it was perfect. So glad he's still in the mixx!

April 13, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  50. protogere

I was wondering if Big Mike would take on this song. I love the arrangement but yet another contestant with the instrument crutch. Grrr ban the instruments! That aside he did a really good job and I liked Ellen's comment.

April 13, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Jim

Another sleepy tune by Big Mike...*YAWN*

April 13, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  52. willyboy

Big Mike is doing what he needs to stay in for at least one more week-lots better than last week–

April 13, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  53. judi

K Big Mike is awesome, what a beautiful voice.

April 13, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  54. judi

Meh on Siobhan.

April 13, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Jim

There...take that Simon! Siobhan should make the top 3 IMO. Crystal, Lee and Siobhan.

April 13, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  56. protogere

What a very mature and polite defense from Siobhan!

April 13, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  57. mozart4898

Ok...well that was like the three different sides of Siobhan. The lower register can almost be annoying to me...when she goes for the higher notes and doesn't SCREAM then she actually supports correctly and sounds great. Then the very end there's the more delicate falsetto that doesn't always work but tonight it did which was a really great touch.

I really agreed with Kara which is kinda scary. I think that Simon's a bit over the top in terms of criticizing her.

April 13, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  58. protogere

I love Siobhan, I loved that arrangement and I'm really glad she didn't screech her way through. That was really good.

April 13, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  59. willyboy

FINALLY!! A VERY good rendition!! Siobhan ROCKED the House!!!

April 13, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Jim

Now that was good!

April 13, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Jones

so Aaron finally gets some more confidence does a great job and they are saying he is old fashioned? who cares if he is old fashioned, old music rocks and he did a great job. Andrew was terrible again and mike should never have been saved they need to go home.

April 13, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jim

Adam and Siobhan look like they were doing a pose for some Dracula Flix. I have my plugs on the ready!

April 13, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  63. mozart4898

Anyone else scared seeing Siobhan and Adam before the commercial break? I feel like I might want to run for earplugs...

April 13, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  64. protogere

That is performing! Aaron didn't sing it amazingly, but he did it well and most importantly he performed! That was awesome and I'll remember that a hell of a lot more than 8 others standing behind a mic clutching a guitar. I liked how he changed it to be appropriate for his age but he could have done a really good job with like Let's Play House or such – very playful.

April 13, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jim

If Aaron grows a few inches and gains a few pounds he could do a good Elvis impression.

April 13, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  66. mozart4898

I'm gonna go ahead and go out on a limb and say that Aaron just ensured he WON'T go home this week. I've been thinking for a while he needs to ditch the cheesy ballads. That was the best I've heard him.

April 13, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  67. willyboy

AAron seems to be channelling Elvis tonight!! pretty good!!!

April 13, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  68. protogere

I liked Lee a lot. I think I liked AI better before they allowed instruments, these guys all use them as a crutch to hide behind a mic and stay put – Lee included.

April 13, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  69. mozart4898

Well Lee was good...but I don't know how much people will really remember that.

Now for the people who say that he sounds "current," as in something that you'd hear on the radio...I'd say Nickelback, John Mayer, many many others...do we need more of them? Will he sell? Sure. Is he anything original? Not really...but he is good at what he's doing (and thankfully it wasn't Hey Jude again...)

April 13, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  70. protogere

LoL Mozart, everyone in my house just rolls their eyes around 8 Tuesday so this is my only outlet!
    I like Crystal a lot but she could do so much more, she has the talent but with the exception of oh my brain fails me but she did a song a few weeks ago with some growl and pep and I loved that. I wish she would exude that confidence more than just doing a good job.
    I don't like Casey, he's a great guitarist but I don't think he is that great.
    I love Lee but I just wish he wasn't so bashful, he reminds me a lot of David Cook early on.
    And of course Siobhan, I really have a weakness for her!

April 13, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  71. willyboy

Well, another so-so performance from Lee. parts are good, parts not so good–

April 13, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Jim

I am eagerly awaiting Siobhan's song. With her scream and Lambert's mentoring she should WOW the audience!

April 13, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  73. mozart4898

@ protogere (lol I'm starting to feel like we're a Tuesday-Wednesday night family) – if I had to pick my favorite 3 or so based on the last couple weeks, it'd be Crystal, probably Casey (although I wasn't really as much on board with his performance as it seems the rest of the world was)...and Tim. Tim is very "listenable," he's just got such a clear voice and is very consistent. He doesn't blow you away but I don't mind listening to him at all.

April 13, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  74. protogere

I am floored at Tim's performance, he has shown so much improvement from week to week and this was a great example. How beautiful was that?! And I'm trying to not like him, why does he have to start sounding so good? I wish he had hit that falsetto that Adam suggested, that was a great suggestion and would have worked well.
    Mozart I hope you're wrong but you could be right.

April 13, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Keisha

yes Andrew needs to go home

April 13, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Jim

Found Tim's song a little boring.

April 13, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  77. mozart4898

Tim wasn't too bad – there were a few moments I thought he might wander off pitch (which really IS unusual for him), but all in all, that is definitly not going to be the worst of the night. Better than Andrew by far...and I really think he could be a surprising force this season.

Umm...could Tim work his way into the top 3 or 2??

April 13, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  78. protogere

Judi – no :p

April 13, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  79. willyboy

I don't know?? Tim did a nice job, but I don't know if it's enough–

April 13, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  80. judi

Ok guys calm down, I didn't think the song was great, but I do think Crystal is great, so hopefully she will have a long and successful career. Ok? Now Andrews, he needs to go, can we all agree on this?

April 13, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Keisha

Crystal isn't all that everyone seems to think she is.. she does the same type of material on every song she does and doesn't really give any real stage performance..yeah she maybe able to hit every song but if she can't give us stage performance then whats the point.. you have to have the whole package not part of it. She defintely needs to take more risk and change up her style of music to be more modern and then she might be doing something.. The only reason she is getting so much praise is that she doesn't have too much talent to compete with..

April 13, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Jim

Being from Crystal's Home Town (geographically speaking...Toledo, Ohio) I may sound a little bias but....she just killed that song in a good way! The bar is set high so let's see how the others measure up. Andrew didn't.

April 13, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  83. mozart4898

@ judi – That style of song grabs me (what Crystal sang). Not everyone's tastes are a toss up between Lady Gaga and...umm, who else is "popular?" I know there's plenty, but that's how much I don't pay attention or listen to them...

And for the record, I'm not a 50-something who's still living in the 60s-70s. I just turned 30 a week ago.

April 13, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  84. protogere

Judi not every performer is 'mainstream'. There've been plenty of contestants who have done well without staying in the Top 40 genre. Crystal is a lot like Joss Stone in her style and Joss seems to be having no trouble selling music and concert tickets.

April 13, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  85. protogere

Willy – because he has so much potential, he's shown it and not just because he could make Straight Up acoustic. But he's been missing the boat a lot. Like tonight. That's a song he could have done so much with and he didn't. What's with him carrying the mic all over creation?
    I have a feeling he'll be on a trip home.

April 13, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  86. judi

Don't get me wrong Ginmill Crystal has an amazing voice, but that style of song just doesn't grab anyone, it just doesn't. I think she's a little too blues to be mainstream.

April 13, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Ginmill

judi did you have the tv on mute? She seems like she is going through the motions because she is so relaxed and good.

She could have an album go on the market now and it would go right to the top. I record the show fast forward to her and then delete cuz the rest don't even come close! Only night she faltered a little was at the piano . You have three record producers on the panel and they all know it judi. Sorry

April 13, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  88. willyboy

I don't get it- why does the audience like andrew?????

April 13, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  89. mozart4898

@ judi – Crystal's performance wouldn't make it on a top 40 station. I don't think anyone expects to hear her on there. I'll admit I don't really know WHERE she'll fit – maybe classic/modern rock radio? I know one thing, I'll be buying her albums.

April 13, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Ginmill

She could have an album go on the market now and it would go right to the top. I record the show fast forward to her and then delete cuz the rest don't even come close! Only night she faltered a little was at the piano MamaSox ROCKS. You have three record producers on the panel and they all know it judi. Sorry

April 13, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  91. willyboy

Andrew is bottom 3 material AGAIN!!!!

April 13, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  92. mozart4898

Andrew = Velveeta

April 13, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  93. willyboy

Crystal Delivered!!!!

April 13, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  94. judi

That song of Crystal's would never make it on the radio, sorry.

April 13, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  95. protogere

I agree Lisa, he is sincere and certainly not making any false claims about his experience, which makes me respect him even more. And he had a good point about the energy – you know I think back to like when Vonzell and Carrie and Daughtry and such competed, they took ownership of the stage and danced around or at least put on a performance. So many this year just stand in place...ugh.
    I liked Crystal's performance but she still seems to just be going through the motions. She is so good, she has a lot of room to experiment with risks – but she doesn't and I really wish she would! I also like that she opened because when they have her close I tend to forget all of the other performances.

April 13, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  96. mozart4898

Anyone else feel sorry for the next 8 after Crystal just did her performance? I mean, they kinda gotta let the first couple set the bar for the rest...and that bar's pretty high now...

April 13, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |