April 13th, 2010

Gallery: Ben Stiller, Gerard Butler, Susan Sarandon and Demi Moore visit Haiti

Ben Stiller, Gerard Butler, Susan Sarandon, Demi Moore and Sean Penn participated in relief efforts this week in Haiti with two charity organizations. Penn's Jenkins-Penn Humanitarian Relief Organization is managing a camp for internally displaced persons.

Early this morning, Ashton Kutcher tweeted about his wife's travels: "@ mrskutcher I wish I was with you" and "I am so proud of my wife."

Artists for Justice and Peace is trying to help rebuild the education system in the earthquake-ravished country. Many stars are associated with this charity; Stiller is on the board of directors.

Filed under: Ben Stiller • Celebrities

1. Mar

It would be great if these celebrities would put their money where their mouth is and give hald of what they have. They would still live like kings and queens..

April 16, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mar

THese celebrities and others around the world are all wortha ton of money. If they would give up half a ton of their money to the cause they would still live like kings and queens and do alot more good to the situation . so SHOW THEM THE MONEY!!!

April 16, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. tuongea

I applaud the celebrities, actually anyone donating their time, money, resources to make a difference for an otherwise helpless human beings, animals to our planet. For all of you other making a difference even those on the blog I appaud you for the rest of you the question might be who have you helped lately before you spite others

April 15, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  4. PG

On the contrary, these artists are people who have the opportunity to make a difference and feel a sense of obligation to do so, and clearly the empathy and funding to make the trip themselves to bring awareness to all of us. I understand that Gerard Butler has committed $50,000 a year to a school in Haiti. Good job.

April 15, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sobola ayoola ayfame

Thanx guyz for puttin hope in d faces of oda people.

April 15, 2010 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kim

Demi Moore is looking at a cute little baby in the first picture. People stare all googly-eyed at cute little babies the same way they do zoo animals... really... EVERYONE can look disconcerting that way. People read too much into these pictures.

April 15, 2010 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. android1

Burn hollywood burn...

April 14, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ray

Oh, and as for Demi Moore, she and her husband are running an anti-child slavery org. To end children's endentured service in Haiti and other location. You know...like Jacob Riis did in the US back in the 19th century. Look it up.

April 14, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ray

Yah, some of these folks have donated upwards of $50,000 a year for the next five years to help get Haiti back up and running. That's way more than some of the yearly incomes of the people commenting, I'd bet. Some of the hypocrite on this comment page probably haven't even texted a $5 donation.

April 14, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jen

I get so tired of self righteous asses bigots that write on these blogs, especially those that think they are God-fearing. If I had the money that these celebs have and could serve as a spokesperson to awaken the American public, I'd do it too. There are enough uneducated idiots in America that refuse to realize how good they have it and do something to help. Cheers to the celebrities who have taken the time to help, either by serving as a spokesperson, donating money, or any other activity. I would bet that those people who are talking about them negatively have ever donated anything...not there time, nor their money to people in need. Sean Penn has been in Haiti (and not returned to the US) since 3 days after the earthquake. He is attempting to facilitate a move of thousands of people out of a flood zone (with the help of other organizations and the US army). "Kim" is a bigot and a selfish, hypocrite to boot. For the hatred that she represents in her email. God will judge her all right.

April 14, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brenda Wilson

I hate it when celebrities show up at a disaster. Are they ready to commint a substantial amount of time as Shawn Penn has done? Please Mr./Ms Celebrity stay away and let the work get done.
    Because of Shawn Penn's incretible amount of time that he has spent in the releif effort, he has become my hero. Thank you, Brenda Wilson

April 14, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kim

If this was Venezuela, then I could see Sean Penn going over there and doing what he can to help out his buddy Hugo Chavez, but Haiti? I think this is strictly for better publicity since we all know what a jerk Sean Penn is. I almost think it's a joke that he is over there. There are so many other places that are truly deserving of all of our money and help-like the USA!! The fascination with this dump Haiti is amazing. And look at the amount of black magic over there-I am not kidding about the amount of voodoo that Haitians practice. For those of you that believe in the Bible, God knew what he was doing when the earthquake hit Haiti. It is too bad that so many people died and if so many Haitian children did not suffer, I would say maybe the quake was a good thing.

April 14, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cea

Which one of these celebrities really know anything about education? Hopefully they are there to just give money and maybe they should actually have someone who knows about education do that job.

April 14, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. markus yessiree

AH, now i know what Demi Moore does. Up until now, i had no understanding of her validity in hollywood, and the universe in general

April 14, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. shirley

People please just show some love for each other.

April 14, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. bill

These are celebrity photo ops.
    Nothing more. I guess it makes them
    feel good but nobody is buying the
    "concern" thing. Forget the hob-knobbing.
    They should open there pocket books
    and help buy food and medicine for
    these desperate people. 20 million
    would do some REAL good rather
    than "visiting". Together these celebrities
    are worth hundreds of millions.
    They need to get real.

April 14, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Me

For those who complain and say that celebrities never help out here in the U.S., you are completely wrong. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have been helping the people of New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina (and they even moved there), and so have other celebrities. Also, many (probably most) celebrities have foundations or belong to foundations or help them out to help people in the U.S. It's just not on the news all the time, because it happens regularly. And when was the last time we had a natural disaster of this magnitude in this country? When there's such a profound natural disaster that does so much damage, the need for help is IMMEDIATE. That's why George Clooney organized the telethon... to get IMMEDIATE help from EVERYONE around the world.

Instead of wasting your time complaining and condemning, why don't you do something to help yourselves (even if it's just sending some letters to some children in Haiti or finding an organization through which you can help in some way), and at least sepnd the time to see what celebrities do to help others in this country. You're wasting a lot of energy being so hostile. It completely disgusts me.

I wish I had more time to go to Haiti to help as well. One of my friends just spent 10 days in Haiti with an organization, and he posted a bunch of pix on Facebook, similar to the ones above, to journal his experience. Would you do it any differently than celebrities and "common" folk if you went to help or sent a boatlad of money?

Give me a break!

April 14, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sheila

I am glad Demi and Susan are in Haiti. Haiti's continued struggles needs to be in the spot light so we don't forget. Haiti is going to need more money, specialists and volunteers to help the Country and the people of Haiti to rebuild and survive. If celebrities can help Haiti stay in the news – I am for it.

I would like to ask all the people who are negative about celebrities in Haiti – What have you done to help!

April 14, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mario

that first photo is weird, its like that baby is some strange creature, gosh i wonder if they look at all of like that when they're not making lame movies!

April 14, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Darlene

You're right on the money Crissy..

" Fool's names and fool's faces are often seen in public places! If these publicity seeking fools really wanted to help, they would do it anonymously.Especially Sean(can't get enough attention)Penn."

April 14, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Darlene

Can you say "photo op"? Anything to get their name in the "news" and I use the term loosely.

April 14, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  22. William

gostei da matéria. I Like commentary.

April 14, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Ginmill

whoa back the "f" up. You people are ridiculous. What have you done for Haiiti? for your information Sean Penn has been there since 3 days after the quake non stop and is managing a tent village of 60,000 that he now has to relocate due to weather and flooding.

and for your information their being there gets more money for Haiiti through donations so if you aren't part of the solution shut off your computer and go do something worthwhile.

April 14, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Nick

To the stupid people that keep asking what have you done? A real humanitarian is someone who can donate $50 when it will break their budget and doesn't want any recognition then someone who gives $250K when they have $40MM in the bank and poses for pics. But playing the devil's advocate..does it matter why they give it as long as they do???....

April 14, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Nick

@Dewight..dead on..

April 14, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  26. louis

I would love to go to Haiti,and if i had a couple million in the bank i would go see where my 2mil donation went. was it used right. and the i would pay my personal photographer to take flattering pictures of me and my friends to show all of america what i did on my vacation.

April 14, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Dewight

who is going to visit the miners that lost there life... oh i forgot celebrities doesn't visit usa tragedies.

April 14, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Ellie

@Betty Childs..
    I kind of got the same impression from the same picture.. didn't know if I should be offended or not... interesting.

April 14, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Tee

what have any of you done? What's wrong with them going to visit and see what's going on and helping those less fortunate, with all their money that's the least they can do. Have any of you helped in any way?
    Would any of you consider going to Haiti to help out..... oh you probably don't want any of them touching you cuz you're too afraid they may have something you may catch if they breathe on you like being the poorest of the poor. Get over yourselves, and let people help however they choose.

April 14, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  30. LC

I don't get it. These celebrities go there for a few hours for a photo op and a lot of people say what a wonderful thing they are doing. But I am sure they went back home to their cushy mansions while the people of Haiti live in make shift tents. My son was deployed to Haiti right after the earthquake and he is still down there with his unit trying to help. There have been people there since day one who are helping the Haitians with medical problems, clearing the destroyed buildings and keeping law and order but I guess since they are not celebrities no photo op or story on that. Where are our priorities. Oh, by the way, whatever happened to all the money that was raised on that so called telethon that the so called stars put on?? My son told me the people of Haiti still live in tents made out of bed sheets.

April 14, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  31. SlanderMan

Well, they got their photo op, that's all that really matters.

April 14, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  32. America3

I think these celebrities should be handing out birth control...since all the money in the world isn't going to educate and home people who have no respect for life. Haiti's got the money from us now they need to figure it out. We need to worry about our own country and our problems. Like the saying goes you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day or you can teach a man to fish and he can feed himself for life. Haiti has obviously never been taught or ever learned how to fish...Get in there, help and get out.

April 14, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  33. liankhawla

Can we, the viewers, extend support?

April 14, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Steve Johnson

Stick with dancing with the stars and leave humanity to the people that don't flaunt it!!!!

April 14, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  35. Pat

I can't believe there are so many cynical people posting. I commend all the celebrities who want to help by providing financially or going to Haiti to make us aware of that country's plight! 17 of the 18 schools there were demolished by the earthquake. Most of the celebrities were there to see that the schools will be rebuilt. Demi Moore was on Regis and Kelli today talking about the devastation there. She also said that Sean Penn has been down there since the 4th day after the quake. She said he has done wonderful things since he's been there. I would say in this case....the celebrities should be commended.

My friend is a nurse and she is going down the end of this month with a medical group. There has been so much help from the medical community that their group has had to wait until the end of April. So there has been plenty of medical help provided!

We live in a small world and whenever help can be provided...no matter which country...we should all be grateful things are being done.

April 14, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  36. TB.

The questions popped up about why rich/celebrities don't they help the poor in this country.
    The reason is this country is rich enough and the people do to try to help themselves. When a country is in distress and have no resources to come back that's why rich people/celebrities extend their hands for help.
    China got earthquake. Now it's country is rich enough to take care of their own. They are proud people and may not want help.
    But if anyone wants to help China is their own business. If the US wants to help any country there is a reason political reason or humanity we are blessed with what we have. A computer to write and read what's going on is a blessing. Negativity is only hurt our own feelings because it reflects our pessimism inner ourself.
    Think positive helps your health and others around you.
    Nice words always are appreciated.

April 14, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  37. haiti volunteer

I was a recent volunteer in Haiti and met Sean Penn. These celebrities are bringing attention to the great need of the people of Haiti. They should be commended for what they're doing, not ridiculed. Btw, many of the victims of the earthquake who are currently living in tents take great pride and care in keeping themselves and their clothes clean and neat. You don't have to pretend to look grungy in order to help.

April 14, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  38. me2

I just think that its sad that there is so much crap going on here in the US alone and whats going on to help us? I am all for helping other countries and those that are in need, but why do people seem to think that they can fix other countries and etcv while our own country is going to hell??

...... or is it that they gave up b/c they know it wont go anywhere. I feel sorry for our childrens future...

April 14, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  39. Marie

As a Haitian-American it seriously bothers me when I see all these celebrities who use this as there photo-op moment. If you truley want to help why not go out and help the many men & women are trying clear the mounds or debris (using coming garden shovels by the way) that is still littered in the streets. Instead smiling for the camera go out and & really work. I know that my country will rise again it will take time. We are strong, resilient & faithful people. We will make it!!!

April 14, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  40. Minerva from Los Angeles, CA

Good job on keeping Haiti in the limelight! A disaster is so easily forgotten and no longer news. Every bit of continued exposure helps these people with more funds and help. Of course there are those negative comments from people who never leave their own armchairs and have never done anything noteworthy in their lives. Shame on them!

April 14, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  41. VickyK

People should do what they can and give where they can. This goes for everyone, every day folks, celebrities, etc. Providing high profile faces to causes will enable more people to recognize the need and give. I think everyone should do something in their own community to see how the benefits of the experience outweigh the time or money donated. People should realize what they have, be thankful for it and give back – any small way that they can and feel comfortable with. Most of us in NAmerica have no clue or idea what it is like in Haiti, China (series of earthquakes just last night – thousands injured/killed), places where it is a struggle to find food, shelter, cause to keep living. We take things for granted every day and just because we're privileged to live in first world countries doesn't mean you can't be humane and compassionate and lend support – even a dollar can make a difference so stop the whining and start embracing and thanking your lucky stars for everything you've got.

April 14, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  42. J

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!

April 14, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  43. Dani in AZ

Celebrities should continuously be thanked and followed for news because they put more time, effort, and money towards helping the less fortunate. What have you done lately to help the sick and dying and starving? Unless your a** is over there with them, I don't think anybody should really have the right to say anything about what their doing except for they are doing the world a good service!

April 14, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  44. Dani in AZ

So some say they do it for "self serving" purposes... In christianity, if you do good deads, you'll go to heaven and live in some great place, so you could say that is self serving because your doing it so that YOU get to live in a heaven after death. Same with other religions. So don't pretend that these giving celebrities are doing it for themselves and your so selfless because even the religous rightous people can be view that way (the example I just made about christianity. Now I'm not bashing religion, that was not what I was doing I was simply showing an example. And I read a comment above about republicans not giving anything and that there are no celebrities that are republicans? what does that have to do with the artical? Thats like generalizing that all democrats are poor, or black, or hippies. Its riddiculous because the people who are in need in the US have it easier than haiti-at least we have access to help and our government can help us in disaster. I'm so embarrassed by our oun citizens.

April 13, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  45. barbara in indiana

sandy i think it was, i totally agree, i don't like this pic with demi at all. she looks like she is having fun staring at a f'ing creature, not a human baby! i hate this photo, its rude looking and so incorrect so to speak. they look like " we are celebs who need to have a quick free boost to our names, so here take some photos with fake smiles of us in haiti , we are saving their lives by just showing up and smiling at all these suffering people who are below us, look how much good we have done, did you get the picture snapped yet? its time for my man-y/pedi, and lunch, and water"

April 13, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  46. tko

The top picture is a nice pic., they obviously think the baby is cute, as he is. nothing wrong with it. And nothing wrong with people visiting a country they want to visit. They got their visas, they paid their plane tickets, whats it to you.

You people are the sick ones who are thinking about zoos etc while looking at the child. In psychology its called projection. So go look in the mirror and see who belongs in a zoo. haha.....

April 13, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  47. yam

I admire the celebrities that went to Haiti. They want to witness with their own eyes the devastation that Haiti has undergone and also to see the kind of help that they need. These celebrities are not doing these to be featured in tabloids or magazines. They are not spending their own money for publicity. They are not in Haiti to make a mockery of themselves. If you have nothing good to say to the celebrities that went to Haiti, just keep your comments to yourself.

April 13, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  48. vero

if every person that has money would contribute to feed the hunger just like Bono from U2 says....what a great place it would be.....instead there are articles that some of them have left their money to their pets!! but what i cannot understand although we are the best country in the world and help internationally...........why cant we ever take care of our own!!! there are so many kids that are hungry right in the states, lacking so much......lets start by taking care of our own..........all i ever hear is help for AFrica which is fine but lets start with our own FIRST!!!!!!

April 13, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  49. JacklynD

What a bunch of unappreciative and miserable people posting here today.

BRAVO to Demi, Gerald, Ben, Susan for championing and supporting the groups who are working to rebuild this country and help care for its citizens, especially the children.

If you had read the article you would understand why they are there but you bozos only care about your own interests, probably have never the left counties you were born in except to go to a NASCAR race.

April 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Rudy190

After reading through all of the negative comments it makes me ashamed to be an American. Listening to all of your outbursts of jealousy and bitterness widen my eyes to how many ignorant people I am surrounded by.

April 13, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  51. opiniononly

This celebrities already gave millions, they were there to see first hand where their donations was spent. The way the kickbacks and pocketing of monies from charities that is going on I can't blame them to find out the progress or work done to help those unfortunate people. You polluted minded bloggers stop your negativity and send your donations.

April 13, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Leah

I agree with Betty, I was thinking the exact same then when I looked at that photo of Demi Moore- I said to myself " it looks like they're looking at that baby like he/she is on exhibit...

April 13, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Jack Wilkerson

Was this all about a photo op or what? Is it money help or what? One never knows when it comes to Hollywood! Back it up with substance !

April 13, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  54. HollywoodFan

This whole "celebrities in disaster areas" is way over done.

( I think Demi is "shopping", before Angelena and Modonna show up)

April 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  55. mrose61

Living in a world populated by so many cyncial people is really getting me down...must there always be a dark side, negativity, and pessimism? Just because these are celebrities does not diminish their concern or contribution. They are spending their time and other resources to participate or support good works. If you can't say something nice...you know the rest. God bless anyone and everyone who puts the needs of others before their own for a moment or a lifetime. And for the rest of you, give it a try yourself, you may then understand that you get more than you give.

April 13, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  56. HollywoodFan

...hey kids, lets have the Oscars in Haiti next year...

April 13, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Nurse

After spending 3 weeks in Haiti providing care where ever I could I take huge offense with many of the post here, but more pointedly Amy's post, which states that Oprah is the only "Black" to help in times of disaster. During my 3 weeks in Haiti I saw several "famous" African Americans and many "everyday" African Americans. But more than that, I saw many many PEOPLE reaching out to others in need regardless of the color of their skin and the zero's on their bank statement. For you to bring up race when I'm sure you haven't been there to observe is ignorant.

As for you other negative spirits, all I can say is God bless you! I pray you never have to experience anything near the disaster that has struck these people of Haiti. And I pray that God softens your hearts so that kindnes grows instead of bitterness and spite.

April 13, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Krystal

Betty, I have friends who have gone to Haiti and have volunteered time providing medical attention, using supplies that had been provided by the organization these stars represent. This summer my son and a group of students from his college are also going down to help rebuild. Some things they have talked about are schools for the children of Haiti, one of which Mr. Butler himself has provided the funding for. From what Ryan told us the children enrolled in this school will be provided with medical attention, food and supplies while attending, also provided by Mr. Butler.
    Gosh Betty beside your , and some of these others, distribution of negative works – what will YOU be doing? I'm sure everyone can pitch in I know my husband and I are, too.

April 13, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Lisa

And yes it goes without saying that these people are wonderful human beings to go to Haiti and lend a hand in time of need. But really...scroll up look at the picture...they are gazing/staring at him like they have never seen a baby or like he is so different from any baby they have ever seen!!

April 13, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Lisa

is it just me? Why are Susan Sarandon and Demi Moore staring at that baby like he is a zoo exhibit? I mean really!!

April 13, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Nancy

If I were a celebrity and had an open checkbook, I'd be there, too. Anyone read the article in the most recent PEOPLE magazine; the one with non-celebrities helping out? It was inspiring–so much so that I am appealing to my school to donate pencils to the schools in Haiti (5,000 destroyed; 10 rebuilt). Most are now outdoor classrooms. Pencils are considered, "rare, precious..." Can you fathom that from where you sit?

April 13, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  62. JASMINE RICHMOND VA

QUITE SAD THAT PEOPLE ARE REALLY COMING OFF ON THE FAMOUS PEOPLE FOR TAKING TIME OUT FROM ENTERTAINING US AMERICANS AND LENDING A HELPING HAND TO THOSE, WHO US REGULAR AMERICANS CAN'T HELP. WEATHER IT'S B/C OF FINANCIAL REASONS,OR JUST PLAINLY NOT HAVING A PASSPORT, THEY TOOK TIME OUT AND DID WHAT WE COULD OR SOME OF US WON;T DO.. DON'T TALK ABOUT THOSE WHO ARE DOING SOMETHING B/C YOU HAVE THE OPINION OF AN IGNORANT MIND. GRANTED THE PICTURES LOOK A LITTLE STAGED, BUT THE BIGGER PICTURE IS THAT THEY ARE THERE AND JUST AS YOU WOULD ON ANY VACATION, THEY ARE SNAPPING PICTURES FOR MEMORIES. FOR THOSE WHO FEEL THEY CAN DO A BETTER JOB GET OFF CNN.COM AND GO BUY A TICKET AND GET ON A PLANE AND HELP, EVEN IF YOU FEEL HATIANS AREN'T WORTHY OF YOUR ASSISTANCE THERE ARE STILL OVER 10 OTHER COUNTRIES/CITIES (EVEN IN THE U.S) THAT HAVE BEEN HIT.. BUT TO THE HAITIANS KEEP GOD IN YOUR THOUGHTS AND KNOW IN THE WORDS OF MAVADO "WE SHALL OVERCOME".. ********UNITY MAKES POWER*****

April 13, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Rai

It doesnt even matter that they are celebrities... You people should just be proud that they are not spending their money on other things just for them... They are in Haiti to show their respect and to help. You can not always help someone by just writing a check or by giving them money. Im greatful tht Gerard Butler,Demi Moore,Ben Stiller,Susan Sarandon,Sean Penn,and who ever else, are there showing that they care so much that they were willing (because they didnt have to do it,they could of "just sent a check") to go to Haiti and feel what everyone is going through. Also so that they can help Haiti get back on their feet. I would like to thank every other celebrity who goes and helps out with natural disasters :)

April 13, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  64. LBW

Betty wins. If there were pictures of the "stars" serving in a soup line I would feel like they are there to help, but just showing up doesn't do much for me.

April 13, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Vince

It looks like we have a few tea baggers posting their message of hate on this blog. Wait until some of you people need help. I don't think you will care where it comes from.

April 13, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Jery

I am also a fan of Betty's comment, I don't think I could have said it better myself! :)

April 13, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Carol

I wonder how many of those with nasty comments have contributed anything? Shame on you people. Not one of these celebrities need exposure. They're there because they care and are letting people know there is hope, that they are not forgotten. Sean Penn deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for what he's done and is doing. "Demi Moore staring at a child like a zoo animal"? Shame on you. Coming on here and criticing and making comments like that just shows what a shallow, idiotic person you are.

April 13, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  68. loving

I agree with Betty Childs as well, they look like they are there for the freak show. How sad that celebrities do whatever it takes to get their name out there. What about our local schools here in California that are struggling???? School districts are obtaining loans at crazy interest rates since the state budget is out of whack! Lets help our own country first, ehe?

April 13, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Michelle

Oh that's total crap, Chris. Some of us have a big enough heart that we hurt for anyone that's suffering a loss, and what's more, we're able to grieve for our American brothers and sisters, and those that live further away. There are plenty of people who have been praying for the people in West Virginia, and plenty who have offered help to the families.

April 13, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Michelle

Y'know, if all you can contribute to the conversation is criticism of people who are actually making an effort to help, then you ought to be ashamed of yourself. If you want to criticize people for NOT doing anything, that's fine. But don't criticize those that are trying.

April 13, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Chris

The ignorance on here is confounding. These people are there because they or their organizations are donating larger sums of money, administering operations and/or attracting attention (eg. how many of you cynical rubes would even have mentioned Haiti today much less done anything for a Haiti?). Despite the perception, most of these folks have charitable orgs that require more responsibility than just writing a check. You'd be hard pressed to find a single Haitian who'd agree with you because the charitable activity of these stars provides more subsistence than your pettiness.

April 13, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  72. sf

GREAT!

April 13, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Robert

I hope Demi Moore shows up if my house ever burns down. I know with her there all will be better...

April 13, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Gajjala

Totally agree with betty...It looks awful..

April 13, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  75. GB

With great power comes great responsibility. The responsibility to be a model, a philanthropic, and a provider for those that are less fortunate.

I can care less for their not being not too close to a baby here or not respecting the cultural paradigms of Haiti. The most important fact is that they are there and they have pledged their own money to the Haiti cause. And just for that, they should not be criticized at all.

I am happy that they are there and cheering up the ailing Haitian People.

Two thumbs up for our celebrities!!!!

GB

April 13, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  76. June Jackson

I am glad they are there..and i hope they keep going there. Celebraties garner the press, and the press will keep this in our faces, we need to remember them, their need for our aid won't end tomorrow.

I remember Princess Diana walking in a mine field.. they don't care that a little girl died here, but the world will care if i do. And the world started cleaning up those mine fields.

The more you have the bigger your responsibility to your world. I respect greatly all the folks who use their lot in life.. stardom.. to improve someone' elses lot in life..

April 13, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  77. AA

Canadian Reader – COME ON – Take the 30 Carat Ring off of your finger when you go to a place like this.. That would be "common sense".. Sure, they are going there to help, good for them, but don't flaunt the fact that she has more money than those people will ever see in their life time.

April 13, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  78. amy

The more I see of these American idiots in Haiti, I realize that ,as usual, the disaster is being influence by white celebrities. Do you notice that the only black to help out is usually Oprah, and only when blacks are the subject of her $$$$$$$$$$$.
    Haiti was a disaster before this disaster hit. Child abuse and molestation were big business, as were drugs. These people need law and order, not more $$$$$$$$$$ to abuse their own. Get out of Haiti, and they will get off the welfare train, and start to stabilize when they realize that the
    $$$$$$$ is going to stop if order and security are not establised.

April 13, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Marjorie

I'm a Haitian American. I find it disturbing that so many people will dissect every good deed to make it look self serving. These celebrities are there to lift spirts and offer a helping hand. I know they've already given so much of their pocket, now they want to give something more personal, time and support. I am so grateful to all the kindness shown the Haitians in a time of such unspeakable disaster (I cannot shake the thought of all the amputations that had to occur without the benefit of medication).

I for one can only thank everyone for their kindness, celebrity or not.

April 13, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Mohammad

Hats off to celebs that will go places that us normal folk can't or won't. This spreads awareness as to the despair that these people are in.

April 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  81. jonas

They can give millions of dollars...but in the end its all about the photo op

April 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Mike

Demi and Susan know that if you touch the baby the mother won't take it back...

Why are they there, the amount of security and time it takes to escort them around to view and tell their fans they saw the grief stricten people could have been spent on helping those people. Send experts that can help build proper shelters and assist with medical aid. I think as many people as possible should send them shame letters to their personal sites and shameful messages to twitter and myspace to show them we find this dis-tasteful in them going for a photo op. If they went over and actually helped out without all the cameras and security, then we might think they helped.

April 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Diana Hilliard

Picture # I see caring and mesmerizing love and the patience to allow the child some space till he or she wants the attention and affection. If you just pick up a child who doesn't know you they will scream their head off. Only moms are sensitive to know this. Stop bashing anyone WHO BRINGS attention and $$$ to help out. Get a JOB or donate your time there or here....

April 13, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Canadian Reader

AA- "Why is Demi Moore wearing that honking diamond on her finger? These people don't even have homes and there she is staring at that baby with this 30 Carat Diamond Ring on her finger.. Jeez."

That's her wedding ring - it's not like they showed up in the latest designer dress, dripping in jewels like it's a red carpet event. For crying out loud, why don't you people have common sense? Did you think it was some big secret that Demi has a ton of money?

April 13, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Hud

Ridiculous! These same "celebrities" wouldn't give $10 bucks to someone in need right in downtown L.A., I'm sure. Yet, in order to get their names on the Net, they'll travel across the globe to stand with kids in a picture.

Go and do these things, and DON'T let the media follow you. Then, maybe, I'll be impressed..

April 13, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  86. JD

It is strange that the news report did not mention her contribution to alleviate poverty and rebuild Haiti, I would like to know what her contributions her to help this devastated country(Haiti). As far as am concerning I think its a publicity stunts which is sad, look at her staring at a human child like some animal.

I donated the little I have $50 to help rebuild Haiti. Thats what I can afford am poor.

April 13, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Tim

The place is a hell hole. Props to them for going to experience it, first-hand. If you don't think that will motivate them to do more, than you obviously have never done anything similar. To be in the presence of such poverty, suffering, hopelessness and despair brings out the compassion that's in all of us and changes one immeasurably.

Nothing but good can come from this. The celebs shown have more money than God and so do their friends. Experiencing this first hand will add a couple zeros to the check written.

April 13, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  88. peter

i agree – celebrities 'visiting' countries get a little too much attention. but, i think it sparks a different world of understanding and capacity to draw attention to a real cause when you put yourself out there and say, "i'm going to haiti to help." unless you have personally spent time there, i can assure you that their appreciation for the scope of the disaster, and what they will be able to conjure in terms of assistance from other celebrities will be more than you or i can do based on connections/money. i give props to those who shed light on the situation. people need to stop being so lame and criticizing those who are actually trying to help. sometimes, more than our own goventent. time there. unless you all have donated time/money/flown there – stop faulting 'celebrities' for doing something to help.

April 13, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Bruce

Good job Ben, Demi, and the whole group...God will bless you guys. I am so proud of all of you. Haiti needs help! God bless Haiti and the rest of the world!!!

April 13, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Jo Christensen

My first thought was, UGH. These fancy folks are having so much fun being "caring" at the expense of some very traumatized, hurting folks. If they must go then don't take the cameras and have respect for your fellow man.

April 13, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Sherrie

Why are they staring at the baby like he's an animal in a zoo? Looks wierd.

April 13, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  92. CM

Betty Childs, kt, Tabitha, Dez – What's so disturbing about all your comments is you not seeing the good that these celebreties are doing, but instead criticizing on stupid things like how they're dressed. If they didn't care they wouldn't be there. How many babies do you know that will let a perfect stranger pick them up. This is just one picure, you don't know what happened before or after. Stop being so ignorant! Celebriites go and help out because they have the means to do so... Are you going to hate them for that too? What have you done to help? Looks to me like all you've done is sit in front of a computer and make stupid comments.
    Anna, your comment was just plain stupid not even worth getting into.

April 13, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  93. seth

what ELSE are they doing besides visiting?? If I were a celeb and I put up big bucks to rebuild something then I would visit. Otherwise I guess you could say I was just working on my publicity and popularity poles...

April 13, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  94. AA

April 13, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Dan

Shut up people, they are there to help lift their spirits. People always find something to complain about. The picture of Demi could have been taken at the exact wrong moment.

April 13, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  96. TB.

People donate money, but they also want to see where that money goes and what is the real situation is. So If I donate a large sum of money and I can afford to fly over the needy country I would have done the same.
    People who are having negative in mind are people having a sad life.
    They like to complain and complain no more no less. They found faulty in any situation and thrive on that. I get rid of my husband due to just that.
    he is a negative person that dragged me down.
    So if you have nothing to say good about anything please just read the article and thank you for someone is helping when you can't.

April 13, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  97. FredHere

I'm sorry...."her" window :)

April 13, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  98. FredHere

Won't see Sarah Palin there, either. She's still lookin' out here window @ Russia :)

April 13, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  99. LetsBeCivil

I totally do not get all the negative comments. If the stars send experts and medical technicians, the results would be minimal. There would be no press to draw attention to the terrible situation in Haiti.

Good grief – the comments of the sort "she's staring at an animal in a zoo" – how did you get there. They look like they are giving some attention to a wounded child. How you can turn that into a negative is beyond me. Can you not accept that some people really care and are giving of themselves? Think positive – makes life much better for all of us.

April 13, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Jay

You never see any Republican stars doing this sort of thing. Come to think about it, do they even have any Republicans in show business? Probably not, all that hatred and meanness and racism would surely thwart any creative ideas that happened to wander across their brow.

April 13, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Carla

Sean Penn at list has been moving things around.. and Shakira will donate for School construction.. I know Ricky martin has helped too.. but what did Demi Moore do a side of the fact of posing for pics with children?.. maybe if she explains people will understand...cause it looks like she just went there for nothing..

April 13, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  102. FredHere

I don't think the baby looks scared at all. And again, it's probably because Demi and Susan brought themselves into his normal eye level and he simply looks like he may be curious, to me. All a matter of perception. You're gonna see what you want to see. Bad...if you're a bitter person.....or loving if you're capable of any compassion at all.

Lotta bitter people here, it would seem. Bummer for them. Grow up already.

April 13, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  103. seaweed22

In response to the people who think that the celebrities don't need to visit Haiti: True, their presence probably is not helpful to the victims in a practical sense, but it does bring public attention to the area and encourages American people to continue to donate their time and money to the disaster relief efforts. Haiti still needs our support and they are in danger of falling off the public radar.

Also, it is probably good for the celebrities themselves to see people who have absolutely nothing – I hope that maybe it makes them feel a little more appreciative of what they have.

April 13, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  104. observer

I hate the culture of celebrity worship, and the fact that this is a relevant story, but what celebrity brings in a situation like this is to keep a disaster stricken country in the public eye. After everyone felt good about donating money to Haiti through their cell phone or facebook, it’s pretty much fell out of the news but this puts it back in the public eye.

April 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  105. jooel

Most people here need to chill! seems like everyone is in amazed and criticizing a simple picture that is most likely portraying the acknowlegement from the baby and the people around him/her! nothing more to say about that. Its great that these 'celebrities' are able to go there and see what's going on first hand to help, as they have been since the earthquare happened.
    it takes a lot of effort to rebuilt, specially a place like Haiti. its not a country as poor as other countries out there like Sierra Leone or others, but anything and everything that can help should be applauded and appreciated.

April 13, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Jennifer B

the point of the celebrities going to haiti is to keep haiti's problems in the news. they may be there doing some minor relief effort work, but their true contribution is getting their pics taken and therefore attracting the attention of people who may donate funds to the dire situation there. before these pics, when did you last think about haiti???

April 13, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Sara

I am glad they went. Demi and the other lady look like they are just admiring the baby. If any of you, who've criticized, have kids, perhaps you know that not all babies like strangers to touch them. This sweet baby looks to be about 9 months old, and like my son, may have stranger/separation anxiety naturally at this age. Perhaps the celebrities are just trying to warm him/her up and entertain him/her.

April 13, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Canadian Reader

Jen – "That said, it does look like Demi is staring at a zoo animal. Her publicist should get on that."

Why is it Demi's fault that the cameras caught her face at that very second. Why not CNN for not selecting a photo better suited to your tastes?? (Personally, I think the picture is just fine. She looks normal to me.)

April 13, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Sondra

WHERE IS PAMPERED PARIS HILTON???? WASN'T SHE SUPPOSE TO GO TO HAITI AFTER SHE GOT OUT OF JAIL????? SHE PROBABLY CAN'T EVEN SPELL "HAITI" LET ALONE FIND HER WAY THERE. THANK GOD FOR THE TRUE HUMANITARIANS LIKE ANGELINA, BRAD, OPRAH, TYLER PERRY AND THESE CELEBRITIES. ALTHOUGH I MUST ADMIT I THOUGHT THE SAME THING ABOUT DEMI AND SUSAN'S "VISIT". BUT AT LEAST THEY'RE THERE!!!!!

April 13, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Jen

The point in them going is so that celebrity watchers, like ourselves, will click on the photo, read the story and be moved to help contribute. From a practical standpoint, their faces bring more media attention to the cause... not the next nurse or doc from Some City, USA.

April 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Canadian Reader

Chris - "Why are you famous so quick to run to Haiti and you will never even acknowledge the fine folks in WV where so many miners died and so many families lost the bread winners. You are all Hypocrites !!!"

So, basically because your tragedy hasn't gotten any celebrity attention, you're p***ed, and the celebrities shouldn't be helping ANYWHERE if they're not helping there? Do you know how many disasters there are in the world? While the loss of any life is tragic, the mining accident was minor compared to the loss and devastation in Haiti. Have some humility!

April 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  112. TJO

What possible "good" are these self indulgent celebrities doing for the people of Haiti? Simple answer – nothing!!
    Seems like photo-ops are the order of the day.
    Why not some photos of these Hollywood do-gooders writing out some hefty checks ?
    The resources used to send and house these media hounds could be used to actually do some good.

April 13, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  113. TrumpCircle

Helping other nations are taking away charities funds on a local and nationwide level. There are actually Americans that's suffering similar to Hati. They are not sleeping in Huts but are sleeping at subway cars, near trash cans, in the woods, unbelievable yet very true. So the better Humanity Effort is to help Hati become self sufficient. Same goes for Americans. Ugh Too Many Numbers Geez.

April 13, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  114. KC1234

I find it refreshing to see that these celebrities are keeping attention focused on the plight of the people of Haiti. It is easy to forget that it will takes years to rebuild and the people will continue suffering for a long time. Thank goodness for the efforts of both celebrities and non-celebrities who continue to help in whatever way possible.

April 13, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Canadian Reader

....and in respect to the way they're looking at the baby; I'm glad they respect his space. They're strangers to him, and they just walked up to him with a group of adult strangers. Of course he's scared.

April 13, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Joe

Lots of negative posts from people who likely did nothing at all to help.

April 13, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Linda

Well don't they all look happy among the earthquake sights. I hope they accomplished something. Must be the trend now–go to Haiti for photo ops.

April 13, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  118. JC

I once worked for an NGO, in Rwanda. Don't you dare lecture me about "hating" and being "negative." I had to spend way too much of my time coddling "VIP"s when I was there. They do it for themselves. It was disgusting.

April 13, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Jeff

Come on be fair!! Ive seen plenty of men and woman look at a baby like that. Demi is smiling at the child, thats all. Yes the celebs are clean and yes there are other people who need to be there that Haiti could use alot more then a celebrity, but hell at least there doing something. Have you sent a penny? Are you involved in helping Haiti?

April 13, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Canadian Reader

I agree with Babs, and would like to add that celebrities can't give *everything* they have, just as you wouldn't be expected to donate everything you have. Every single dollar counts in charity situations, and (because they're in a situation where they're able to) they're giving more than many of us make over the course of several years. Has it ever occurred to any of you pompous people, that they might read comments like these? Do you think that encourages them to keep giving, or deters them from donating at all...?

April 13, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Therese Therrian

I feel it is wonderful thing for anyone to help the poor people of Haiti, stars or not stars. It does'nt really matter, they are helping. The one thing I do wish is that when there are disasters in our own country that the people who do have the funds or money to help would help our own people more than they do. It truly seems sometimes that people just do not care for the people that have tragedys come about in their lives in our country, Maybe when it comes to the celebrities they would not receive as much, or perhaps no coverage, if they did a good deed for someone in need in the USA so they choose not to help our own. TT

April 13, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  122. FredHere

@ Gina in San Jose: It's easy....these people complaining are in the comfort of their homes or offices, at their computers, and have too much time on their hands.

Back to work for me now.

April 13, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  123. FredHere

Hey....Sean's got a lot of time on his hands....not like you see him making a lot of movies these days.

April 13, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  124. chrissy

April 13, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  125. anna

those kids probably don't
    even know who they are.

April 13, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  126. TrumpCircle

Demi Moore Still Looks Hot Today.....Even During A Humanity Occasion.

April 13, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Gina in San Jose

I don't understand how, somehow, people find so many negative things to say about celebrities who are spending their time and money to HELP others. Are you serious? They could be doing NOTHING. Also, who cares if it's another country? They're human beings who needed help, and have no where NEAR the means that the U.S. and other countries have; so if we can lend a helping hand, then why not? Find some positive somewhere, people.

April 13, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  128. KmW

I don't understand how anyone can just look at a child in Haiti. When I was there, all the children wanted from me was to hold them. I sincerely hope that they picked this child up as soon as the picture was taken. Otherwise, their presence is completely unjustified.

April 13, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  129. CM

All you people with your negative comments are so ignorant and self centered. You can't see the good in anything. How else should Demi or Susan stand and talk to baby that doesn't know them and might be scared? What does it matter how they're dressed? THEY ARE THERE MAKING A DIFFERENCE!!

April 13, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  130. TrumpCircle

It's Called Humanity! Actually Hati Should Have Gotten Help Before The EarthQuake For They Was Suffering Before The Quake. The Celeb's are just showing humanity, encouragement and support of the poor and unfortunate.

April 13, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Erika

I was just reading an article about Gerard (Gerry) Butler where he was manning the phones on the George Clooney telethon held to help the Haitian people and now he has gone down to see what help the Haitians still may need. He stated that he couldn't help before he became an actor but now that he is he is in a position where he can help people in need. Very good. Keep it up Gerry!!

April 13, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  132. FredHere

@ Chris......if you lost someone in WVA, that sucks and people really feel bad for you.

In Haiti, there are way to many orphanages for their population and these tiny and innocent children have no one.

Not to diminish the losses of those families in WVA, but chances are they have family there to console them and they still have a home to sleep in at night.

Tomorrow, there will probably be another disaster in the news....and that too will take away from the attention shown WVA and Haiti and Russia where all the Poles died in the plane crash. There's enough misery in to world to go around for everyone.

Stay strong.

April 13, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Diane

These particular celebrities have each donated $250,000 ($50,000 a year for the next 5 years) to rebuild schools. This trip is for them to see where their schools will be built.

April 13, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  134. IndyMan

Chris wrote: "you will never even acknowledge the fine folks in WV where so many miners died and so many families lost the bread winners."

Very true.

April 13, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Isabella

I agree with the person who commented that the nay sayers are being ridiculous. The celebrities are there to make sure the cause continues to get exposure. I guarantee you the link on CNN gets more hits when people see a celeb than when they don't. I'm confident they've opened their pockets but in truth the exposure and media attention is worth a lot more money in the long run.

April 13, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  136. IndyMan

Yes, it's good to see celebs doing something FOR others. But the photo of Moore and Sarandan staring at the little child just looks creepy, like they're at a petting zoo! "Oooh, see the little creature?"

April 13, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  137. db

To me, these folks are looking at the little kids the same way most look at little kids "aw, aren't they soooo cuuute". I could photo-chop these pics and they would look like my family looking into the incubator when my nephew was born last week.

April 13, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Chris

April 13, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Katie

This is what giving back to the community means. Celebrities should use their names and their funds to help people in need. And also, you don't know what is happening in that picture with Demi Moore and Susan Sarandon, they could have been instructed to not pick him up or be any closer. But really this is what celebrities should be doing, not just showing up in tabloids. Yay!

April 13, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  140. CATom

God bless thoese celebrities fir doing their part!

April 13, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Steve

You people are being ridiculous. To just be looking for the negatives. You do realize that ALL people stare at cute babies. And I do not want to get into this as much as I already have even, but you have no clue how many medical technicians and experts there currently are in Haiti. And to the people that said they look too clean? What does that even mean. Should they be in ratty clothes? I am a hundred and ten percent sure that if the celebrity is taking time out of their schedule to visit the site of just one of the several natural disasters that have recently took place, that they opened their checkbooks as well as their hearts. What have you all done to help? If you can't think of anything you should start coming up with different ideas.

April 13, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Me

If they go, people ask "why they go?". If they don't go..." why they don't go? It sounds like a no win situation for these poor stars...

I bet people overther are enjoying to see new faces there... and get some help, too

Enjoy yourlife a bit a be possitive.. Good day!

April 13, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  143. FredHere

It would appear to me that Susan and Demi are positioning themselves @ eye level with a small child who is probably wondering what all the attention is about and who are these babes checkin' me out? And shame on all of the celebs for showing up bathed? Really....what the heck is wrong w/you people. If you think there's something wrong w/that then YOU probably need to bathe, 'cause your head appears to be coming from where the sun don't shine.

April 13, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Chandra

These are people who really care...hats off, they are all "stars".

April 13, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Babs

You people are ridiculous! Did you not see the telethon that raised millions for Haiti? So they want to go and happen to be fresh off the plane. How does that make them disgusting? It's good that celebrities are going because it keeps Haiti in the headlines, just as when they visit New Orleans. Stop hating and don't always assume the worst. That's the disgusting part.

April 13, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  146. me

ya but demi is hot and thats all that matters

April 13, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  147. JC

Hey, there's nothing people who've lost EVERYTHING like better than to see pampered, egotistical celebrities sticking their nip-and-tucked faces into their space.

"Gosh, even after you leave me in this f-ing hellhole and go back to your mansion and complaining about the paparazzi, I'll still think you're a true humanitarian!"

April 13, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Rose

I think the attention is necessary by any means. These people are suffering beyond our comprehension. When we see the celebrity there, we read the story and remember that these people still need our help. Demi Moore is looking at this child lovingly. I recently read an article that indicated she really wished she could have another child. I would look at babies like that too if I really wished for another child. Thank you celebrities for helping this cause.

April 13, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  149. FredHere

Celebrity or not, it's good to see these efforts taken by the "haves" for the "have nots". But it is especially good to see a positive story vs. the trashing of someone's marriage or relationship. Kudos to all.

April 13, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  150. matT

Have none of you ever had your photo taken while you were talking to a young child. You would look like you're staring at them in the same way. I don't know if anyone posting so far has even gone down to help, but them going to see where they can help is better than no help at all. Many of them already pledged money and have helped in other ways. Stop bashing those who are able to help and be glad they do. The cameras are going to photograph them anyways, as they are high profile, that's not their fault.

April 13, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Emil

Really people get a grip. Celebrities have been going to disaster zones for years just look at Sean Penn and Angelina Jolie. It really isn't any different than Bob Hope and Kathy Griffin going overseas to entertain our troops and show their support. As far as that medical and professional help that has been sent by the plane load since the very beginning and will continue as always. I live in Central FL and we have received the Haitian people by the hundreds for aid right here on US soil.

April 13, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  152. mustafa

HI, Nice job.. and best of luck

April 13, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Shelley

I do know that Ben Stiller's group which included Gerard Butler and Demi Moore have committed to help rebuild schools in Haiti . The actors have each committed to sponsor a school for 5 years ($250,000 donation) so I think that is why they are in Haiti. The schools will also provide food and medicine to the children.

April 13, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  154. CM

Susan Sarandon is to Demi's right and has the same look too!

April 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Rhonda

The look on that poor baby's face in #1 pic.......he's probably wondering why those goofy ladies are staring at him! It's like they're looking at a jack-in-the-box, waiting for it to pop up! Notice how both are careful to not actually get NEAR the baby while #3 pic show Stiller's not afraid to jump right in.

April 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  156. isabel

I am happy that they are going to help. good job !!!! :)

April 13, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  157. DEZ

I agree 100%.....what is up with Demi?
    I looked at the first pic and thought is Demi looking at a zoo animal. Scrolled down and betty had the same thought. What good are they doing by "visiting" disater zones ?

and how clean they look.....it is terrible.

April 13, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Tabitha

I agree with betty childs.. I believe that they should send experts over there to help and not take pictures of the "actually caring" more exposure for them!

April 13, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  159. kt

April 13, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  160. gabriela

They do not need to go to Haiti, better just send a check and pass the bucket to their hollywood friends. They look so fresh and dressed for the ocassion! it is really disgusting.

April 13, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Betty Childs

These photos are really disturbing. What's the point of celebrities visiting disaster zones?

If they truly cared they would send experts and medical technicians in their place.

In the top photo Demi looks like she's staring at an animal in a zoo.

April 13, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Alejandro Perez

Is good to know that the celebrities are doin their part for humanity

April 13, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |