April 12th, 2010

Showbiz siblings Brandy & Ray J team up

"testing
"testing

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) - Ray J Norwood is a self-described "reality junkie" and now he's getting his big sister Brandy to share his addiction.

VH1's "Brandy & Ray J: A Family Business" follows the musical siblings and their parents as the Norwoods work together to move their careers to another level.

"I think it's going to open up a lot of doors for me and for Ray," Brandy told CNN.

A sex tape with Kim Kardashian and two seasons of a dating reality show - "For the Love of Ray J" - boosted his celebrity.

Brandy earned teenage fame as TV's "Moesha" and as a successful R&B recording artist, but a Los Angeles freeway car crash more than three years ago interrupted Brandy's career. She was uninjured, but another driver was killed. The publicity and lawsuits that followed slowed her down, but now Brandy's ready to move on. "I think it's believing in yourself and just staying positive even in the times where it doesn't seem that you can come through anything," she said. "And that's what I did."

The doors Brandy wants opened lead to "the right album and going in the direction that I feel like I need to go in as an artist," she said. "I feel like that show is going to help push that along."

While Brandy's success comes from her "true talent," Ray J said he is "more media driven."

"With me, some of my success not only comes from being talented but from just wilding out in the media," he said.

Much of the drama in their new show centers on Brandy and her mom trying to tone down Ray J's infamous "wilding out."

"I try not to wild out too much and have too much fun because that might throw my focus away from the business possibilities," he said.

Sonja Norwood, their mother, has managed their careers since they were teenagers. The transition of responsibilities from the mother to the children is central to the show. "She represents strength and loyalty and all about the business," Brandy said. "Sometimes it's hard for her to switch the manager hat from the mom hat, so you see that dynamic as well."

Brandy and Ray J are working together on an album and they each have their solo music projects. "I'm a reality junkie now," Ray J said. "I can't stop. I'm addicted."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Tammy M.

I just recently started watching their show and I must say it has captured me. It's nice to see how close Brandy & Ray J are. I am curious as to how long ago these episodes were taped because there is absolutely no mention of Brandy's child

June 6, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. nikki

i think it g reat that brandy and ray j are teamiing up as a fam, but somethings had me saying so "SO WHAT". 1ST OFF BRANDY MADE A BIG DEAL OUTTA GOING TO THE GRAMYS WITH FLO. ITS JUST A DATE. also i feel those eye brows are not for u. the shape doesnt bring out your features. it really makes your face look too big. sorry if i offended u but it does. you all are two grown adults and it is time to get out of the nest and into the business world without YOUR MOM. wishing you the best.

April 15, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. cspNelly

omg i can't beleive so many people still til this day hate on Brandy and Ray J. so badly i watched the show and will continue to watch the whole season Brandy has been my favorite artist since i was 10 so of course i support what she does and i am human so i do disagree with some things she involves herself in as well but we as people need to start understanding that celebrities are normal people doing a job and they have feelings as well. they have millions of people sitting around talking about how they dont deserve the fame they have they will hearr it rather its from you or someone else but cant we just leave each other alone and let people live lives without hating and critisizing as if we are doing any better than them...

April 14, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. NeNe

Ray J and his silliness should be cut from the show. However, I like Brandy and Sonja – they are committed to their crafts. Ray is too old to be in the pranks but then look the company he keeps. As the saying goes , birds of a feather will flock together. Strike Ray J and the show is good.

April 13, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. Michael

A lot of you people are speaking on a situation that you know nothing about, you don't have the facts or details to say someone deserves to be in jail. Learn the justice system and stop making remarks regarding someone when you are clearly misinformed.

She didn't kill anyone, if she did she would be in jail.
    Ignorance is bliss

I Like the show, it's very positive (all but ray j)
    I will be watching!

April 13, 2010 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sency

first i have heard of Brandy in a while

April 12, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lemmy77655

I agree, Rich. There should be no payoff for Brandy. No TV show rewarding her. Justice should be served. If someone on a 40k per year salary killed someone in a car accident they wouldnt get off by paying 20% of their savings (maybe $30,000) to 5 parties in different settlements. Shame

April 12, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Richddijj

Brandy should be IN JAIL. Manslaughter isn't punishable by denting your bank account. Pathetic.

April 12, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joe

I love them. I think it's a very good family show.

April 12, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Johny

Pathetic........

April 12, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. regina riggs

ray-j u r da bomb im praying that u find the right woman 2 settle down w/ u really dont need 2 settle down just yet,continue 2 live yo life 2 da fullest and brandy girl you got it going on,you need 2 go ahead and floss at the awards girl u was invited smile and keep yo head up cuase u got it going on,i love 2 see u guys coming 2gether on da family business good luck on the upcoming programs.much love from yo #1 fan!

April 12, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. nobodyinohio

Brandy's album "Full Moon" was very good. I still listen to her music and my car. I always hated the fact that Brandy did NOT get her props for that album. I think she was expecting a baby when the CD came out and did not make videos or something. My favorite tracks on that CD are #3,6,8, and9. Also "Lost without you " with her and Ray J was good too. As for Ray J, he is a closet gay.

April 12, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Hector

these people are ridiculous, Ray J is a fool and his show is garbage...*straight ignorant*

April 12, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Head Diva In Charge

I have this show recorded.....looking forward to watching these two former stars!

April 12, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |