April 12th, 2010

'American Idol' to meet 'The Simpsons'

testing captions
testing captions

Fox knows how to work a cross over when it comes to their shows (take note of the musical themed episodes planned for “Fringe” and other series in celebration of the  success and return of  “Glee.”)

In May, the “American Idol” gang will be visiting Springfield during “The Simpsons’” season finale.

Judges Simon Cowell, Ellen DeGeneres, Kara DioGuardi, Randy Jackson and host Ryan Seacrest will be even more animated than they are during their critiques of contestants when they join Bart and the rest of the Springfield inhabitants on an episode scheduled to air May 23.

Word is that Springfield’s beloved bartender, Moe, gets an invitation to serve as an “Idol” judge. Have we finally found a replacement for the soon to be departing Cowell?

« Previous entry
  1. Andy

To all the people on here who proffess to hate AI and the Simpsons.
    Why did you bother to spend time to click on the story, read it and then bother people with your pointless comments.
    Go Simpsons Who Hoo!

April 16, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. geff

i think moe sholdnot do it

April 16, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Andrew

I'm not sure what many of these folks are saying. The Simpsons has got to be one of the best shows ever created, just because it is a cartoon doesn't mean many of the plot lines aren't socially relevant. Although the show has had its up and downs, it is still one of the better shows on tv. I'm not a fan of AI, but considering it's going to be a "Moe" episode, it should be good times!

April 15, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sandra

I am still waiting for idol to start.. i waited all winter for idol what a dissapointment . its so bad when Simon leaves i will no longer be watching it its so boring there is no one except maybe one that is even worth listening too and that would be Lee sorry idol i think your on your way to being replaced by another show..

April 14, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Robert

Used to watch The Simpsons just about every day, but the show
    of late seems old and tired. I think it has lasted too long and needs
    to go away.

I always thought that American Idol needed to go away. The best
    comment I heard about American Idol came from one of my co-workers, who when asked if he watched American Idol answered.
    "I would have to be pretty idle to watch American Idol.

April 14, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Will

I have loved The Simpsons since the early 90's when I was like 6, and I didn't even get half the satire and jokes they were saying. True, it has been in decline for sometime, but there is nothing better than to watch Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie fight through whatever happens and stay a true nuclear family. I still love it, and I love that they don't have to stoop to Family Guy's of South Park's level by swearing, having stupid cutaways, that in my opinion last way too long, or have to have shooting violence in every episode to keep people interested. People keep watching The Simpsons because it is still in essence a family show, where teens will get jokes and even their parents will get some of the humor that will go over their kids heads. Don't hate on an iconic TV show, past or present.

April 14, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. FrankGrimes

The Simpsons has been going down hill the last few seasons. And now with this episode I have a reason to finally stop watching.

April 14, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  8. chuckwheat

Cartoon mentors...quite a step up!!

April 14, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. prince

the whole idea 2 me is great

April 14, 2010 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. irvineslim

just starting here on here on the west coast.......Chystal good as always, Andrew did a great job but the next performer which the judges liked was very boring (I don't even remember his name)

April 13, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dani in AZ

I don't like either shows they both have sucked the last 5 seasons

April 13, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Grumpy Old Man

My god, just let it die already, Groening!

April 13, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Toosliq

"If you like Piña Colonic..."

April 13, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tale Of The Cat

That'd be cool if Moe gets on there and shows everyone that the talented Tim Urban deserves to be the next American Idol. They can even work in a subplot or two, where Bart has a crush on Didi Benami or Homer gets barbecueing tips from Michael Lynche and Casey James :)

April 13, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Head Diva In Charge

You know, I really can't believe "The Simpsons" have lasted this long. I guess it's because they have managed to stay relevant with episodes like this.

April 13, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Todd

You guys are all crazy, I think this should be really funny and I will tune in for it. To Simpson animators: You must put "Dog" in a v-neck cardigan sweater for it to be really accurate.

April 13, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  17. Emmanuel

If u are not interested in the simpson pls stay off and dont complain

April 13, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  18. Emmanuel

The simpson's are wonderful for them in idol its gonna be interesting...

April 13, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  19. show dog mom

Seriously? Is "The Simpsons" still around?

April 13, 2010 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  20. Don Clark

Being from Canada, I am always stunned by what Americans find newsworthy. Dont get me wrong, I love the USA and what it stands for, but to actually take time to Comment, and offer commentary on what is gong to be on the simpsons season finale, like it is some earth shatering event just fries my mind. (Much like I am Doing woo hoo) Take a chill pill, enjoy the simpons and ai for they are, entertainment, and give a sandwich to a hungry kid, u will be much more fullfilled. But hey I could be wrong, maybe Moe and Simon will be remembered in history along with Emanuel Kant, Socratese, and plato. Or the best philosopher of all, Bart, "Get Bent"

April 13, 2010 at 5:06 am | Report abuse |
  21. Angel Arnold

for those of you who dont like the Simpsons OR AI...I have a perfect high tech solution.....are you ready for it???? Wait for it...here it comes....CHANGE THE CHANNEL!!!

April 13, 2010 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |
  22. Thomas H.

I'm really amused by the comments posted so far stating that American Idol should go away. It's among the highest rated shows in the world (if not the highest) and folks expect Fox to cancel it. Like I said....amused!

April 13, 2010 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  23. The_Mick

My favorite Moe event was not on any episode. For an NFL season or two, Foxsports.com used to run Simpson character picks for NFL games. The week Moe picked one year, he commented on a game between Buffalo and Miami and said: "O.J. used to play for Buffalo. Now he lives in Miami. If he's still lookin' for the killer he should look at the Bills defensive secondary because they're killin' me."

April 13, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  24. Homer Simpson

Burger........

April 13, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  25. Sherri

Never was interested in the Simpsons. In my opinion, another boring AI episode. I've had enough of them already this season........

April 12, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  26. johnathan

While I wholeheartedly agree that the Simpsons has suffered a creative decline of sorts, any long term series goes through these ups and downs. The Simpsons serve as a commentary on today's pop culture and paved the way for South Park and Family Guy (while showing a lot more class). I don't understand why TDCHIM hopes American Idol goes away soon. Is this person forced to watch it??? While it certainly is his/her perogative to not watch the show, millions more watch it every week.

April 12, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  27. TDCHIM

Does FOX have to wreck everything? I've stuck with The Simpsons even though it has gone downhill over the past decade or so (although there have been some bright spots in the past few years, like the episode where Bart and Homer converted to Catholicism), but mixing it up with American Idol will just make me watch something online instead. I really hope American Idol goes away soon....

April 12, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  28. mushymushroom

Haha I thought the idols will meet Jessica and Ashlee...lol

April 12, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  29. einsp922

Which one is Ryan and which one is Ellen? :-)

April 12, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Sency

This looks pretty funny – its a smart crossover

April 12, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Paul

Phil Hartman was never a writer on "The Simpsons." He performed the voices of several characters, most notably Troy McClure ("You may remember me from such educational films as 'What's Going On in My Pants?' and 'Brush Twice Daily–or DIE!'") and Lionel Hutz, Attorney at Law.

April 12, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Tim Greer

The Simpsons need to be canceled (10 years ago) and take American Idol with it. All The Simpson's do the last decade, is have whatever celebrity is the hot topic. No need for plots or humor, clearly, over the last decade. The Simpson's were great until about 2000 (though a few were awful). They've been running on their previous success from the early seasons for too long now. Resorting to some POS show like A.I. is just more proof it's not worth watching (either of them).

April 12, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  33. nobody

etc.

April 12, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jesus H Christ

i dont like american idol but if this is a Moe episode it will be hilarious. The best simpsons episodes focus on Homer and/ or his bar friends. A lot of the Bart episodes are good too but the ones about Marge and/ or Lisa are just pointless and not that funny...... OK a few are, but the simpsons need to get back to the old days when the writers were awosme, like the ones Phil Hartman and Conan O'brien wrote. Most of the great comedy writers of our time made a pitstop to write a simpsons episode or two, they should try bringing in fresh minds to work on these newer ones.

April 12, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  35. WooHoo

Moe the Judge?

He should let the rats loose on all people at Kodak.

April 12, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |