April 8th, 2010

Nike releases a statement explaining Tiger Woods' ad

CNN Entertainment received a statement from Nike Golf regarding Tiger Woods' controversial ad.

"We support Tiger and his family. As he returns to competitive golf, the ad addresses his time away from the game using the powerful words of his father."

The 30-second spot debuted on ESPN and The Golf Channel at 6 p.m. E.T. on Wednesday, April 7, 2010. The ad will air up until 4 p.m. E.T. on Thursday, April 8th.

To view the ad visit www.youtube.com/nikegolf

Filed under: Celebrities • Tiger Woods

1. wireless internet for laptops Verizon

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read something like this before. So good to find any person with some authentic ideas on this subject. realy thank you for beginning this up. this web site is something that's needed on the web, somebody with a bit of originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

August 21, 2012 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. Promo golf Agadir Maroc

Generally I don't learn post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, quite nice post.

August 3, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ron G.

I thought it was a great ad. Thought provoking to say the least. Who doesn't deal with their conscience after making bad decisions? As for the people who are still bashing Tiger, YOU PEOPLE ARE HIPOCRITS!! Tiger is good at what he does and he deserves the money he makes ,if people are willing to pay it. He does not owe you or anyone else (except his family and business partners) an explanation. If you don't like him, don't watch him. If you are as perfect as you think you are, then open up a church! Judgemental hipocrits!

April 12, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jim

Earl Woods was a known serial womanizer and alcoholic. That Nike would take his words and try and twist them into some kind of moral message to Tiger is sickening.

April 12, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. Golfingace

Now that Tiger is "touchable" he wants us to feel sorry for him...NO WAY..Nikes commercail is sicken and the voice from his dead dad is reaching an all time low..SHAME on you Nike..You can have him Nike..I'm done with you and I'm done with him

April 12, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. Teresa

While it may not be my business how he conducts himself within his marriage, I think it is my business to let my children know he was not the man they thought he was. It amazed me how many think the game of golf is more important than this man saving his family and saving himself. My kids are disappointed and so am. I think I am more disappointed in Nike

April 12, 2010 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Auntie Bacterial

Tiger says leave my family out of it and then drags his deceased father into it.

Nike and Tiger have more in common than we realize. They both do stupid stuff without thinking it though. They both give new meaning to the phrase "Just Do It."

Never bought Nike. Never will. Never bought Tiger's act of contrition. Never will.

And FYI – Sincerity is no guarantee for truth.

April 12, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. cc

This guy asks for privacy and then wants to make public videos – doesnt make sense

April 11, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bet

I commend Nike for sticking with Tiger when all of his other sponsors dumped him. With that said they earned the right to do the ad.

April 11, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rob

Nike is a creepy company with creepy ads.I would never buy any of their products.

April 11, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tired of Tiger

Time away from the game? Tiger took what? Three or four months off? Did he really need to compete in the Masters? If his marriage and family were so important to him, I'd imagine he'd need at least a year or more to reconnect with his family.

April 11, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Adam

We're involved in two wars overseas. We are still in the midst of an economic recession. The atmosphere in our country's politics is plagued with hate and dangerous rhetoric. Earthquakes are happening across the world in populated areas, causing death and endangering people. With all of that, we have spent all this time on a man...who plays golf. We write stories and gossip about a person who was unfaithful to his wife. This is a pathetic problem. This story should never be run on any network not named ESPN. This is getting out of hand. The fact that people care about this to the point where it needs to garner this much attention sheds a disturbing light on our country's priorities. It's no wonder so many are so uninformed about things.

April 11, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Helena Scholz

Nike takes shame to a new level! How low can you go and what kind of a society responds to such depravity! This is sick beyond belief! What a disgrace! I really just felt that he was a human being who made a tremendous error. But now for Nike to release an ad like this, I'd NEVER work another day for them. What has this society become?

April 11, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kari

yawn......

April 11, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. james blackstock

who cares about this loser?

April 10, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  16. aaron

At a time where endorsements are running away from Tiger it is nice to see that nike recognizes his branding and stands behind him... after all, their only interest is profit and whether it was this year or next he is the face of golf.

Tiger's personal life is for him and his family. If he broke an agreement with the PGA, tell us about it.

The ad itself is thought provoking and for those that remove their disdain for the individual and listen to it, personalize it, it's a good commercial. In the time of boobs, boozes, and gambling, it was welcome.

April 10, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Julie Adams

What was Niki thinking ??? Earl also cheated on Tiger's mom so where is the lesson ???? Disgusting

April 10, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Flaherty

Hes a joke....This is all money driven. Im sick of him.

April 10, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  19. kathy

As far as the ad goes...I support it! I love it! If you don't agree don't buy the product. I think it was Genius!!!

April 10, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  20. kathy

Oh please, people. Get real. Tiger has done what every other red blooded American and Non-American man can only dream abuot. When he looked both ways (right then left) figured he wouldn't get caught....bam he did it. Why is everyone acting like he's the first. Yes, and Elan should of tryed to knock his head off with that club. Which is a typical reaction when you find that your better half has cheated ...more than once. If she hadn't reacted, I would really be concerned with her. She's fine. After the dust settles..she'll be out of there. And good for her! So, it just confirms that the men are still out there spreading themselves thin, as always. Now, show me someone like Obama, (it still wouldn't be a complete shock) I give him 90% of goodness when it comes to fidelity. But that over 10% is on the instinct factor. woof woof

April 10, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  21. diane

Tiger is a disgrace, his father was a disgrace and now Nike is a disgrace. I know that I will never buy anything Nike again, but I also know that Nike nor Woods ever cared if I did. And to all you people out there that think it is his business, this is exactly why these kind of deviants exist. Because they can do as they want and still have apologists like you.

April 10, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  22. sally

Not only in really poor taste, but it proves that some companies will
    do anything for a buck. Disgusting. What makes it even worse is
    that Tiger's father was a philanderer, too. He didn't/doesn't have the
    right to preach to his cheating, moral-less son. Booooooo. Plus the
    fact that he's DEAD, for heaven's sake. Sick.

April 10, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  23. sally

Not only in really poor taste, but it proves that some companies will
    do anything for a buck. Disgusting. What makes it even worse is
    that Tiger's father was a philanderer, too. He didn't/doesn't have the
    right to preach to his cheating, moral-less son. Booooooo.

April 10, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  24. Karen

It seems to me that Nike gave Tiger a public ass whuppin

April 9, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Chris

Where does Nike draw the line on who they let represent their products? I'm sure glad that OJ hadn't been one of their celebrity spokesmen. Tiger is a deplorable human being, who's only sorry that he got caught. It is absurd to suggest, as this ad does, that this was just one of those life experiences anyone might have and can "learn something" from. I guess what he’s going to learn is that there are no consequences to his appaling behavior. It's an insult to women that Nike would choose to "stand by" him. Nike should wake up to the fact that there are lots of other companies that sell running shoes and sportswear. I for one will be happy to buy New Balance and Asics from now on.

April 9, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Koa

@Michael.... marketing campaigns are only successfull if they increase brand awareness resulting in sales growth. Remember the Taco Bell chihuahua...Yo quiero Taco Bell? Everyone was talking about those ads and adored the dog but the campaign didn't sell more tacos so the campaign will killed. RIP Gidget.

April 9, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Sam Snead

As an attempt to mitigate losses, Nike has found a way to capitalize on Tiger's indiscretions, at the expense of Tiger's wife, children, and father. Using audio of his dead father is just disgusting and creepy. Let his poor wife move forward without further reminders of his horrid behavior. Nike, what happened to your integrity?

April 9, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Tom Hunter

Like father like son, for the worse.

April 9, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Merikay in AR

I understand Earl was a partier, himself, and was often seen drunk with a gaggle of young women around him. Duh

April 9, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  30. The Best Critic

I'm glad he is playing golf again so that people would remember that they don't care about his personal life.

I kind of like the video but not as an "advertisement". It is probably justice for his wife though to see Tiger humiliated in front of all his fans and maybe also to see Nike humiliated also.

April 9, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  31. up2here

Tiger Woods and Nike are both brands – trying to make money – not breaking news. Either watch Tiger for his golf performance or don't. Either buy Nike products or don't. Personally, I'm happy to see one sponsor stick with him (even if it's for the money – see above). I hope Tiger is back on top of the leader board and we news is focused on his game and not his personal life.
    From a 36 year old female who didn't sleep with Tiger & if I had, I would be apologizing to his wife and not expecting one. Those women should be ashamed of themselves.

April 9, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Dee

So, instead of turning the focus back to golf, which might actually might help both Tiger *and* Nike, they choose to create an ad that just keeps his personal issues at the forefront. Dumb.

April 9, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  33. cw

Why would Nike bother unless Tiger wanted to run something like this?
    It's worse that Earl was known to cheat on his wife

April 9, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  34. Mattski

Nothing short of advertising genius. First the ad, now the conversation. What great free publicity.

April 9, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  35. SKB

Augusta gives me the creeps anyway. not the right message for this case. Might want to work toward something less patriarchic. This is a good primer, but I would read more of her work to really get the big picture.

April 9, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  36. darlene d

The tabloids and news media are dragging this thing on and on! FOR PETE'S SAKE PEOPLE.....move on! Is the news really that slow that they have to keep dragging this up? There are more important things in the world to talk about and its time to put the Tiger issue to rest!

Remember....There is no such thing as a perfect person!!!!

April 9, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  37. ktt

We have to let up on Tiger sooner or later. I think the guy is sincere of his regrets. I also think that Tiger focus he has that made him a great athlete, is the same focus he's using to address this mess he's in. He is owning it and facing it head on. There's no question his father is greatly credited as a role model. I think the ad says.."We're Nike, we're standing by him, We're not ignoring what happened AND Tiger sends a message on Nike's Stage. After all, the whole world keeps asking him about it.......

April 9, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  38. Michael

Folks....get over yourselves. Here's a statistic that you might want to consider while you are getting off your high horse. 50-60% of ALL married men have affairs. 45-55% of ALL married women have affairs. Pretty much every major male celebrity last century used that celebrity to have affairs. JFK, Sinatra, Michael Jordan...probably every Congressman and Senator. It doesn't make it right, but it does make Tiger just another typical male who has gained celebrity and power and then used it to get laid. This is not news. Get over it! As for Nike's ad, it's marketing. The fact you are all talking about it shows it worked!!!!

April 9, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  39. alex

So it's ok for CNN and MSM to make money off of Team Tiger, but shame on Nike/Tiger? The media is and will always be 'a hot mess' of hypocracy...I've seen far worse ads...Coincidentally, I'll be gettin a new Nike cap today...

April 9, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  40. mari martin

Oh for crying outloud! WHO CARES!!! Just go and play! Must he need Nike and "the voice" of his dead GrandPa to shield himself??? Hey grow up and stand up like a real Man! Not hiding under the skirts of Nike and other relatives! You shouldn't be named "Tiger" (you don't deserve the great Animal's name!)

April 9, 2010 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  41. Rick

Unbelievable! A sitting president cheats on his wife and lies to the country about, causing all kinds of distractions, and we are told, "Shut up!" "Don't worry about it." "It is his private life and has nothing to do with running the country." "Of course he lied, wouldn't you?"

But now a golfer, A GOLFER! cheats on his wife and it is front page news for months!

Unbelievable!

April 9, 2010 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  42. Tammy

I wanted to comment on several issues involving Tiger...
    (1) Yes, he is an excellent golfer... no amount of his cheating, carousing or bad behavior off the golf course will change that.
    (2) I am sick of hearing about him, his issues and his mistresses! Please! When did CHEATING become news? I do feel sorry for his family.. he humiliated and embarrassed them... I do not feel sorry for him.. you reap what you sow.
    (3) Yes, I do believe everyone deserves a second chance... everyone makes mistakes and who are we to determine that one man's sin is greater than another's. Tiger has to answer for his... enough said.
    (4) What does irk me to no end is this pandering to the media... AND this Nike commercial.. I think that it's in bad taste. If you are truly trying to better yourself.. quit talking about it and let's see.. "JUST DO IT"

April 9, 2010 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
  43. kuukaburra

What really blows me away about this ad is that it's trying to act like Tiger's dad is shaming him about the scandal but I've heard on numerous sports/gossip sites that Earl Woods was doing the same to Tiger's mom. Like father like son, I suppose. Too bad Nike is using this for advertising. That's pretty shameful. I haven't owned any Nike crap in a few years and I won't buy anything for a while but since I'm not the demographic Nike is trying to reach, no big deal.

April 8, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Frank Rizzo

What a shameful act of disrespect not only to his father to his fans. TW will anything for money and Nike is a co-depent on this shameful campaign that proves that Honor, Marriage means nothing to this lowlife I hope his Wife cleans out his bank accounts and Nike files for bankruptcy.

April 8, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  45. mb

Ah yes, the new American icon....GREED!

April 8, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Jo Christensen

If I'm not mistaken, Tiger's father also was a womanizer, whose behavior was upsetting to his son as a child. To use the father as the "voice" of knowledge and reason is a big disconnect from reality! The whole thing is sick!

April 8, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  47. minecheatedonme...

The last thing Tiger should be expected to do is to offer an apology to the women who made themselves available...they did this knowing full well they were going along with a married man, probably wishing they could even have his baby. They have everything to be ashamed of, not only Tiger. For thinking that the public would accept that they were victims now that the truth is out. Some of his mistresses have expressed how cheap Tiger was. Does that not betray a hidden motive-they all hoped they might benefit financially. Let the Woods' family alone, let them forgive if they wish & move on!

April 8, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Briantoo

It's 6:57 p.m. EDT, and I can't find the ad anywhere on Nike's site.

I agree with those who believe this ad is creepy at best, and manipulative on the face of it (no pun intended). He doesn't own anything; gives no indication that he's learned anything; and tries to play to people's emotions by exploiting the voice of his father.

Here's what I wonder: if he -was- alive today, would Earl Woods allow himself to be exploited this way? I doubt it. Might he have that kind of conversation with Tiger privately? That, I would believe.

The sad irony here, to me, is that the voice of a man widely know as Tiger's chief mentor is being used to excuse the horribly wrong actions of his son.

Sad. Just sad. And I think Nike's got the message, because that ad is gone.

My two cents,
    Briantoo

April 8, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Dara Lee

I am so sick of Tiger this, Tiger that. I am surprised the news media doesnt follow him to the bathroom. Or maybe they do. Get on to some thing newsworthy.

April 8, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  50. EBC

FOR GOD'S SAKE.....STOP READING MORE INTO THE NIKE AD THAN THERE IS!!!

Tiger is NOT the first athlete to CHEAT with more than one woman and he won't be the LAST. He IS the one worth BILLIONS!!

WHY is everyone so bent out of shape about what this GROWN MAN did? He cheated, so what? The way folks talk, you would think Tiger Woods is the "Messiah" walking on water or something. GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!

Americans LOVE to hate, it's WHAT they do when they are FULL of jealousy and envy. If Tiger Woods was NOT worth BILLIONS, no one would give a crap what he did and with whom.

All this bashing is really stupid. The man is but a MAN and when you add BILLIONS in dollars to the equation, you create an environment where "cheating" is plentiful and part of the course. Does it make it right? NO, but that's the REALITY in which we live. This is NOTHING NEW, we've seen it before over and over. That's the nature of the BEAST and men have been having their cake and eating too for decades. WHY everyone is shocked or upset is beyond me.

I hear everyone talking about Tiger "the role model".... yadda, yadda, yadda.

WHO would look to a WEALTHY athlete, movie star, musician, etc. to be their ROLE MODEL? Really? Who is that delusional? These are folks that live beyond our wildest dreams, can have ANYTHING they so desire at the snap of their hand. The NFL, NBA, NHL, PGA, NASCAR, Hollywood and the music industry ALL DESIGNED and CONTRIBUTE to this monstrous environment, plagued by infidelity, drugs, alcohol, abuse and corruption!!!

SO WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU DEEM ANYONE IN THIS ENVIRONMENT YOUR ROLE MODEL?

PARENTS: YOU should be your child's role MODEL, not Tiger Woods or anyone else. That's the problem, stop looking for someone else to be your child's role model. It's YOUR responsibility.

Everyone looks to people on TV, MUSIC VIDEOS, and MOVIES, etc. and think they are somehow "PERFECT", as if they can DO NO WRONG or have no FAULTS.

Well guess what? That's being utterly delusional. We EACH should stop looking to anyone else to be role models for our children and start "BEING THE ROLE MODEL" ourselves.

April 8, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  51. kay

SuperHiro, obviously YOU care or you wouldn't be here

April 8, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  52. SuperHiro

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO CAREEEEEEES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

April 8, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  53. R.S

ah...the Audacity of Hope

April 8, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  54. kay

Jazz Allen, thank you for getting back to me on that. The apple didn't fall too far from the tree then...duly noted.

April 8, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Theresa

Like your comments Doc, couldn't be more true.

April 8, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  56. CHERYL MARTIN

I think this ad was in very poor taste for Nike,.I would not buy anything Nike because of this AD...you are in the business of selling nike things not judging someones personal life;Tiger has the responsibility to get his life back together,NOT YOURS.I do not see how Tiger would have agreed to putting this ad on TV.??PULL THIS AD OFF TELEVISION!!!Your hurting your industry for NIKE..........

April 8, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Jazz Allen

Well how can the media let things go when Tiger himself comes out with a Nike commercial that digs up his dad to bring up attention to his infidelity.

April 8, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Hello

Who CARES!!!!!! There are so many other things going on in the world today. Let Tiger's wife worry about his infidelity and not the rest of us! Good Luck Tiger!!!

April 8, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  59. LB Golfer

This is SO funny, I mean coming from TIgers Dad Earl, whom EVERYONE in so-cal knows was one of the BIGGEST womanizers EVER.
    LOL
    IRONY??

April 8, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  60. John Doe

Tiger,
    I hope you win the Masters by 15 shots and look into the camera at the end of it and just tell everyone to *&#$ off!

Jus sayin

April 8, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Jazz Allen

Well Kay, I was just listening to a Sports Radio show and they characterized the man as a womanizing drunk.

April 8, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  62. sharon

this commercial is way to personal and isn't even about selling a product, Nike is just trying to make money off of someone elses misery, its not marketing genius at all. Its a rather sad attempt and it shouldn't air.

April 8, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Bemytribe

Nike, you just dug your own grave with sheer stupidity! You trivialized a married man's promiscuity by portraying him as a little boy whose bad behavior is being scolded by his daddy! I hope every woman on the planet boycotts your products!

April 8, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  64. kay

@ Jazz Allen – tell us more! Inquiring minds have the right to know!

April 8, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jazz Allen

Am I the only one who wonders what in the world is his dad was talking about!!... From what I continue to hear his dad was no role model himself.

April 8, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Madison Marie

I keep thinking About Tiger's Mom. That poor woman has to deal with the public humiliation as of recent and now her late Husband has somehow been dragged into the middle of it. I honestly hope she hasn't had to see this Nike commercial. Although it was probably shown to her beforehand so she wouldn't be blindsided by it. My heart is with her and those 2 beautiful babies he brought into this world.

April 8, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Ozzi

Did Nike even ask Tiger Woods to use his father's voice on air. Someone ask Tiger what he thinks.

April 8, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Eve Lynne

Funny, seems that Tiger is needing to "make statements" and explain himself a lot lately. Not so good.

April 8, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  69. c dougherty

this ad is a disgrace. A self-serving piece of crap, just like Tiger

April 8, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Ballz

Did they ask Tiger's permission to use that clip? Im guessing 'no' and Id be pretty pi$$ed if it were me

April 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Gene

When you need a press release to explain your advertising, you've obviously screwed up the message.

April 8, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  72. kay

@Kay - Rock on girlfriend!

April 8, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Kay

@ kay – "They knew he was married, but more importantly HE knew he was married"

Exactly!

April 8, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  74. kay

LOL, I actually agree with Gina – he really doesn't owe them an apology. However, it shouldn't be just "shame on them" – Tiger does share in some of the responsibility here – it takes 2 to tango, so shame on them AND him. They knew he was married, but more importantly HE knew he was married.

April 8, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Kay

First, I think it's sad that people can't disagree without being rude to one another.

YC – I believe we all understand that we're human beings and that we falter, but you're not looking at a man who simply got caught up in a one night whirlwind and was remorseful in the aftermath. You're not even looking at a man that had a long term affair with one woman whom he came to care about. You're looking at a man who cheated relentlessly with over one dozen women, and who could have put the life of his wife in danger if the truth is that he did not use protection. What could anyone possibly find acceptable after that?

I think the sponsors that chose to let him go were well within their right to do so. It's their product, their business, and they hold the highest of stakes in such matters. It is one thing to be a personality who makes it clear from the get-go that you do not care how the public perceives you. But when you're a personality pretending to be saintly and creating a fortune built on capitalizing on that perfect image you best be prepared and willing to take your hits when your deception and double life is brought to light.

As far as the ad – I thought it brilliant on the part of Nike, though I personally could hardly stand to listen to it.

April 8, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Golden Girls

@Gina in San Jose, you're exactly right! Preach!

April 8, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Gina in San Jose

He doesn't owe his "ho's" an apology! They knew he was married. Shame on them.

April 8, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  78. kay

What about all the ho's he slept with? Shouldn't he apologize to them too?? And in this order: Elin, Tiger's mom, lineup of ho's...

April 8, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  79. army ninja

Really David? So you are going to get rid of your Nike driver just b/c they made an ad that is trying to make money and re-market Tiger. Did you just wake up from the stone age? What tv commercial isnt trying to market their product or company? A lot of companies use smear tactics. I guarantee that whatever cell provider you are using has smeared another provider in order to promote their business. You better cancel your service and start using pen and paper again and mailing all of your issues in b/c using your ideology would mean that you dont possess any items or use any services that utilizes advertisments........join the rest of us in reality...

April 8, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  80. chuck c in scottsbluff, ne.

Tiger only owes an apology to Elin and maybe his Mom.

April 8, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Gina in San Jose

I'm not too sure about the ad... However, I am really excited that Tiger is back. He is the main reason I watch golf and I hope he does well this weekend. I definitely do not like what he did to his wife and family, but that has nothing to do with his golf game. He is still the greatest, and I hope he remains the best.

April 8, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  82. chuck c in scottsbluff, ne.

tigers personal business is just that (personal). He does not owe anybody an explination except Elin, ? maybe his Mom.

April 8, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  83. SteveO

David – I'll take that driver.

April 8, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  84. kay

papasmurf is wise–Help save us from the Gargamels of the world!

April 8, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  85. mandi

@tiger is a fool, you said "At first, Tiger felt he owed the public nothing in return for his wrong doing. Then, after loosing much of his annual revenue, he decides to become more personal with us?"

Do YOU feel that Tiger owes the public an apology? Why? Did he cheat on all of us? No. Does it affect his sport? No. So shut it.

April 8, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Wendy

Weird ad and Nike shouldn't have done something so weird! Thumbs down!!!

April 8, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Mike in Montana

I think the 'new' Nike ad commercial on Elrick "Tiger" Woods' and his late father is pointed at all of us. What are we doing with our lives and what have we learned ? Have we learned from our mistakes ? Hope so.. You can sure tell that Tiger is still trying to figure things out. This may be a long road for Tiger. Nike sales, marketing and public relations departments were shrewd with this commercial. This is a base for future Nike commercials on Tiger Woods' and Nike products. Smart move on thier part.., especially if Tiger 'wins' the Masters. Mike in Montana

April 8, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  88. kay

Fact: Tiger would have always been remembered as world's best golfer ever. Bigger Fact: NOW Tiger will always be remembered for being a really great golfer while bagging the most booty on the side. That's unfortunate.

April 8, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  89. KBChicago

what happened to his upper lip- looks like someone belted him one in the mouth. check out older photos of him, his look is changing

April 8, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  90. papasmurf

None of my smurfin business

April 8, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  91. kay

Hmmm, did he learn anything??...maybe some new positions...

April 8, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Pat Aston

I think this ad is in poor taste. How does this benefit Nike? As someone that lost their father, I am shock to see that Nike would stoop so low to make money! This turns me away from Nike that they would take advantage of someone's loss to make money...How sad!!

April 8, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  93. sheppard

Pandering? I think so... In poor taste?...not so much – more just irrelevant to most viewers.

April 8, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Kathy

Creepy ? I am not sure about that. Have we all not done something we know is wrong, and the one person who could have gave you the best advice in that situation has passed away. You would have wished to hear what they would have said. I know I am not the only one. He is a celebrity, but a human being first. We all know Tigers father was a huge deal in his life. His voice of reason. The one person who he would have turned to in this situation. I think it is brilliant on Nike's behalf to do this commercial to start cleaning up Tigers image. It shows his vulnerability (his father). I think most people can relate. There is not one person out there who is perfect. Infidelity is on the rise in most american homes. People still think he owes them an explanation. Well to most of them homes....... will you have to hold a press conference when you get caught ??? He has done plenty in my eyes.

April 8, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Judy

I think this send a simple message – simply put – which could apply to anyone – think about what you did, why you did it, and what did you learn from what has happened?

April 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  96. darlene

good job nike, i hope tiger will always think about those questions. He needs this message as a ringtone.

April 8, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  97. spirit

This ad is to personal to be on the air!!! It is disrespectfull to the dead and a disappointment for those who buy from Niki

April 8, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Brad Taylor

Good ad, nicely done.

April 8, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Donna

Nike shame on you.

April 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Ellen

This is simply a very shrewd p.r. maneuver by Nike.

Now that they've run this ad, they've cleared the way to run their customary "Tiger selling a Nike product" advertising over the coming days and weeks.

Who will criticize Nike now that it has run a 33 second "Tiger doing penance" clip? For one day, no less.

April 8, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Tiger is a fool

Very few are given a gift by being masters of a particular skill or sport, and even fewer are given the opportunity to make a lot of money at it. Some people choose to abuse that power. Tiger is one of those people. At first, Tiger felt he owed the public nothing in return for his wrong doing. Then, after loosing much of his annual revenue, he decides to become more personal with us?

It is clear that Tiger's motivation is only about money. Once he becomes powerful again, he will once again abuse that power. Tiger will not receive any sympathy, or attention from me. In fact, Il change the channel anytime I see his face. When Britney Spears made a fool of herself, I did the same thing.
    Today, 1:04:34 PM
    – Flag – Like – Reply – Delete – Edit – Moderate

Read more: http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2010/04/masters-live-coverage-round-1-blog.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0kWRCpQVu

April 8, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Nbr1Geech

This is why CNN sux.

April 8, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  103. YC

I have to say I like the ad also, and so does Tiger, because I know they wouldn't have put it on without his approval. And to those who keep bashing him, I say to you – "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone...."

I also hope that he wins and that all of those sponsors who dropped him come crawling back to him and he politely tell them all No Thank You.

April 8, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Libby

Boring...who cares....

April 8, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Gale Beck

We found the ad to be a bit creepy. Nike isn't advertising their product, so what's the point?

April 8, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  106. t-roy

well said Doc!!

April 8, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  107. David

The fact that Nike is using Tiger's personal indicretions for marketing purposes is HIDEOUS. They should pull the ad now. I'm getting rid of my Nike driver this weekend.

April 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Dorothy Rossi

What a tacky commercial! This is all about money and the lows we will go to in such a commercially driven society. Nike is using their commodity called Tiger shamelessly, and tiger wants the cash. Just when I thought I had seen it all...

April 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  109. DELONA

Who cares time to move on.

April 8, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Doc Brosnan

Tiger isn't the first man to cheat, but his public status lends to the ridiculous amount of attention it garnered.

I really like the new Ad, but it could be argued as PR BS just as easily.

I hope he does well on the links. I don't care what happens to his marriage, because frankly, it's none of my business...or yours.

April 8, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Anna

Seems to me this is a personal message to Tiger rather than something we all need to hear, Okay, we get it... shame on you Tiger. Now can we get back to what pertains to the rest of the country?

April 8, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |