April 8th, 2010

'Dynasty' actor Christopher Cazenove dies

testing captions
testing captions

(CNN) - Actor Christopher Cazenove died in a London hospital after a month-long battle with a blood infection Wednesday, his family said.

Cazenove was best known for the role of Ben Carrington on TV's "Dynasty," although he appeared on hundreds of television shows over the past four decades.

His death came one week after that of John Forsythe, who played his nemesis on the 1980s prime-time soap opera.

Cazenove, a British-born actor, contracted septicemia in late February, said a statement from his partner, Isabel Davis, and family.

"Despite a valiant fight and the untiring efforts of the wonderful team at St Thomas', he was eventually overwhelmed," the statement said.

Before "Dynasty," Cazenove was well known in the United Kingdom for playing Charles Haslemere in the British series "The Duchess of Duke Street."

He was 66, according to the Internet Movie Database.

– CNN's Jack Hannah contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. JAE

My Mom had sepsis in 1997. It's a HORRIBLE sickness, getting into your bloodstream. My Mom was about 2 hours from dying but they caught it in time. It started from a sinus infection that wasn't a typical infection. She was EXTREMELY ill, throwing up part of the lining of her stomach. BAD.

A number of years ago, about the same time, a VERY dear friend of mine had sepsis too. Her's was detected early as well. THANKFULLY, She and my Mom were VERY lucky. Sepsis CAN BE misdiagnosed, so be VERY careful. If it advances too far, your chances are very slim to none. :o(

April 12, 2010 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sue Ann

I saw him in The Duchess of Duke Street when I was young, and I could never forget either the actor or the character, Charlie, Louisa's love. He was brilliant, and I am very sorry to read that he has gone. My condolences to his family.

April 11, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. Georgana

I collect vintage magazines from the '50's. I saw a picture of Joan Collins in one. I didn't know she was that old.

April 10, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bev

He was also the fiance of Sylvia in 3 Men and a Little Lady who wanted to send Mary to boarding school. He was a right so and so in that movie. I also remember him in Duchess of Duke Street. He was a great actor and will be sorely missed. May he rest in peace.

April 10, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Frances

I liked him in "Dynasty". But my favorite role was also the TV movie "Tears in the Rain" with a young Sharon Stone. It was a tear jerking but I still love it. It's nice to know it is available on DVD . May he RIP and his family find comfort in knowing he will be remembered.

April 10, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lydia

Ah, what a wonderful actor he was. Didn't watch "Dynasty", but LOVED
    John Forsythe: that face, that voice.

But Mr. Cazenove was so good in "The Duchess of Duke Street". He did his "job" so well. Made acting look natural.

May his family find some peace in knowing that he left behind his wonderful acting for all of us to enjoy.

Thank you, Christopher..........................Godspeed.

April 10, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ifeoma Ofurum

Dynasty was quite a hit & I loved watching him on Tv. He was a good actor. My heart goes out to his family at this time of grief. May the Lord comfort you all.

April 10, 2010 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. TH

RIP Christopher! you were a lovely person and I am happy I had the opportunity to meet you.

April 9, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bahaneh

nothing left in the world to trust,,,,,,,:( tearsssssssss ,,,
    I'm Dynasty lover ,,,,& I feel sooooooo sad,,,,one of the best shows,,,,

April 9, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tracy Gore

I prefer to remember him as the wonderful actor in one of my favorite British TV series "The Duchess of Duke Street" (NetFlix it!). He exuded a charming intelligence. He truly entertained with his thoughtful performances.

April 9, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Maureen Rosen

I remeber him from one of Sharon Stone's first movies, I think, for TV called "Tears in the Rain". He played an aristocrat (naturally). I fell in love with him then. I finally had to order the DVD online so I could watch it every now and then. It's a chessy movie but really showcases both of them. Leigh Lawton was also in it (Twiggy's husband).

April 9, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. nasty sarah palin.

sounds like sarah palin shot him from her helicoptor.

April 9, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Elizabeth

I remember him well from the series "The Duchess of Duke Street" . Until now I wasn't aware that he had featured in "Dynasty", but I never watched that series. A gifted actor – and gone too soon.

April 9, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. J.Crobuzon

moderator, kill the posts starting with [...] they are blog spam thanx

April 9, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tuddy Momma

Too young to die...he must have suffered greatly! That stuff is nasty! Dynasty will always be remembered by it's old and the beautiful!

April 9, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  16. Judith ochiba

May God almight give the family of christopher cazenove the heart to bear the last their son who pass out yesterday

April 9, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  17. superk734

I too watched and loved this show and I remember the "character" Ben Carrington, but I for the life of me do not reconize this person. My sympathey however to his family. It was a great show while it lasted.

April 9, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  18. alex

I remember Ben Carrington hating his brother blake quite vividly...RIP to both John and Chris...Luckily Diahann Carroll (who played their sister) has a new movie out so it won't be her taking the plunge next!

April 9, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  19. HuH?

who died?

April 8, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Susan

I too, loved him on "The Duchess of Duke Street," and have never forgotten him from that series, one of the greatest "Masterpiece Theatre" productions ever done!

April 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Janet

He was terricic as Henry Higgins in a touring stage production of "My Fair Lady" and was always a charismatic performer.

My sympathies to his family and friends.

April 8, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. jenny

Septicaemia is a cop-out for a diagnosis. It is an umbrella term. What was the real infection that killed him please?

April 8, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Swissmiss

I didn't watch "Dynasty," but he was wonderful in "Duchess of Duke Street."

April 8, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Eve Lynne

So sad. Bad week for Dynasty actors.

April 8, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  25. jonas

I watched the show and I can't remember the dude....

April 8, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  26. goeffer

Rest in peace and thanks for the memories.

April 8, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  27. spirit

My sympathy to Christopher Cazenove's family and friends

April 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Linda

Holy Scmolly...I wouldnt have recognized him from 3 Men and a little Lady! RIP

April 8, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Linda

What's wrong with you people? Someone died here, his familiy and friends are hurting, and all you can do is come up insensitive comments that you think are cute and funny? Wrong!

April 8, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Geri

Much to young to die; sorry. The rest of the crew members of Dynasty might want to think about their future.....

April 8, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  31. J.Crobuzon

James, Mac, I'm thinkin' the same thing: ninja assassins are stalking the cast of Die Nasty! It's a job for Charlie's Angels . . .

April 8, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  32. marianna

verry sorry,

April 8, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  33. caralala lappa

It's not JR that Im sure of ;-)

April 8, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  34. james

Somebody's killing off Dynasty characters! Lower the barge, corpsman!

April 8, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  35. MacDeezy

They go in 3's. Look out Joan Collins!

April 8, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |