April 7th, 2010

TV Recap: Desmond, the key to 'Lost's' secrets

[Editor's Note: You know the drill by now. If you haven't seen this episode of "Lost" yet, DON'T READ ANY FURTHER.]

When Desmond finally showed up on the island at the end of last week's episode, you just knew something major was coming. And thanks to our favorite "constant," the reasons for this season's "flash-sideways," as well as Charles Widmore's ultimate plan, appear to be getting clearer.

We've known for a while that Desmond has a "talent," as Widmore put it. What's easy to forget is where they all started: the electromagnetic pulse at the end of season two. Well, Widmore had to test Desmond to see if he could survive such a pulse again, and that sent us hurtling into the alternate timeline... where Widmore, George, Charlie, Jack, Faraday (or Danny Widmore here), and yes, Penny are all still a part of his life.

Another thing happened at the end of season two: in a flashback, Widmore offered Desmond a job, when in fact Desmond wanted Penny's hand in marriage. In this timeline, Desmond took a job and is now Widmore's right-hand man, never even having met Penny.

Widmore asks Desmond to pick up Charlie from jail, and this time, it's Charlie who opens Desmond's eyes up to seeing another point in time, describing a vision of Claire (odd that he never saw her on the plane). Then in a wild plunge off the road and into the water, Desmond sees a vision of Charlie's final moments at the Looking glass, soon making him a believer in the "real" timeline, after encounters with other members of the Widmore clan, including, finally, Penny, where Desmond first met Jack.

Awakening after surviving yet another electromagnetic event, Desmond is completely on board with Widmore's plans... then when he and Widmore's people are ambushed by Sayid, he is completely on board with following him as well.

That momentum I talked about last week is even stronger now with five episodes to go, but plenty of questions still remain:

– We still don't know where Desmond disappeared to while on the plane.

– Earlier in the season, the castaways seemed more or less better off in the other timeline, but lately, it has been less so, especially with Desmond as this episode began.

– Desmond now has a mission in both timelines: He wakes up, asks Penny out, and asks George to help him visit everyone on Oceanic Flight 815, as he has something to show them. Desmond is now jumping back and forth between timelines, just as he did between the past and present. On the island, his mission is to help Widmore stop the Man in Black (though he doesn't quite know that now)... but at the same time, he appears to trust Sayid and go with him. Wherever he ends up will probably be crucial to what happens at the end of the series.

– Charlie has some idea that the alternate timelines exist. Can anyone see this, but only some people see it as being anything other than a dream?

– "In the know" in the alternate timeline: Faraday/Dan Widmore, Eloise and now Desmond. Does Charles Widmore know?

– Like Sun and Jin, Penny and Desmond seem meant to be, in all timelines.

Your turn: Share your theories, thoughts and more on video, or in the comments below.

1. Wondering

I'm just wondering if the producers of Lost are going to publish a book later on that contains / explains all the hundreds of little "easter-eggs" that have been peppered throughout the 6 seasons. Things like that connection between the real-life philosphers David Hume & John Locke that a previous poster mentioned, or how the number 108 keeps turning up. You know...the small stuff...

April 8, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jack merridew

I think a lot had been answered that people still seem confused about

the Alt timeline was created by the detonation of Jughead on top of the massive pocket of energy that the swan button was controlling

this alternative timeline is no longer seperate from the Main timeline because as evidenced by charlies newfound love people are waking up.

Since Jacob was reading everything that rises must converge im gonna go out on a limb here and say the two timelines must merge together in the finale

john locke will somehow be jacob

April 8, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. steve

@ Christy ... from April 7th, 2010 11:11 am ET

Said: the plot converges at the hospital

Jack works at the hospital
    Claire is there as a patient
    Jin will bring Sun in because of the gunshot
    Juliette may work in the fertility clinic there
    Sayid will be there visiting his brother
    Sawyer and Miles (as cops) investigating the shooting and talking to Sun & Jin
    Locke may show up for a consultation with Jack

My additional ideas:

Rose and Bernard will be there because of her cancer
    Hurley... because he starts hearing voices? Or makes a big $$$$ donation.
    Kate is there to see Claire, or she was hurt being arrested.
    Libby, she may be in the psych ward (or already with Hugo?)
    Christian's body will be delivered to the morgue there

The two diamond thieves?
    The high school teacher (killed at the Black Rock)?
    Michael and Walt, prehaps to see Michael's wife?

An accident at the school could involve Walt (and Michael) the teacher, as well as bring Ben there.

April 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Liz

Sweet baby Jesus, I hope it ends like "Usual Suspects" where you start seeing that everything Jacob has been saying is just a story, then they show you his true purpose and it's completely opposite of what you thought! He succeeds in manipulating the Losties into accomplishing his dirty work for him, then the final shot is him walking away in L.A. with an evil yet charming smile.

April 8, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Renee

I love reading all the posts each week and seeing the different ideas that people have. I am amazed at the things that people pay attention to when watching the show! You guys give me great insight to possibilities, especially with the hospital theory. I have been "lost" for most of Lost but I still think it's a very enjoyable show and no matter how it ends, it was a good ride and definitely made my Tuesday nights.

I just don't know why people are so hateful in their responses on this board. I really don't think there is any reason for name calling or calling people "idiots", simply because we have differences of opinions over something so trivial as a tv show.

April 8, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jiku

Didnt Eloise and Widmore get kicked off the island way before 1977, because eloise killed daniel years before, right as she killed him they flashed forward into the darhma time period. So Eloise and Widmore were already safely off the island before the bomb went off.
    Also, if smokey did get off the island when the bomb went off, where is he now? They said if he got off the island everyone was basically doomed, but if he is off the island in the flash sideways, why isnt everything in complete chaos???

April 8, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lockes Neighbor

ceekay: "Hurley is the only one with no real attachments back in the world, obvious replacement for Jacob."

I'd be willing to bet real money that Libby is back in the LAX world next week and she and Hurley fall in love.

Almost all main characters have a love story... Jack & Kate, Sawyer and Juliet (this is coming back, trust me), Real Locke and Peg Bundy, Jin and Sun, Faraday & Charlotte, Charlie and Claire, Desmond and Penny, Richard and his wifey, Hurley and Libby, crap, even Charles & Eloise.

April 8, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. LOST

H,

Just two weeks ago they did a whole episode about Richard! Go find it, it answers a lot of questions.

April 8, 2010 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. H

John is about to kill Jacob with the pilgrims. He now has a purpose. What do you think will happen if Jacob is dead? The others won't have anyone to get orders from. Why do you think John feels the need to kill Jacob? If Jacob is the answer to Sun getting to see Jin again; getting John and Sun back to 1977 where Jack, Sayid, Kate, Sawyer (lafleur), Juliet, Miles, Hurley, Faraday (dead) are stuck... what's going to happen when they are all together again? Jack and Sayid in 1977 together with the others are in the temple to apparently detonate the hydrogen bombs so that the source/energy will be destroyed. If they managed, will they won't be able to travel to the alternate times to get back to the year 2000s, I mean, the hatch hasn't even been build yet. It might get destroyed if Jack and Sayid succeed in 1977. Maybe they are not planning to get back to year 2000s. As Faraday put it, destroying the energy/source using the variables will mess up the constant... they could change events in the hiatus 3 years period. When this is all happening, Kate found herself in the sub with sawyer and juliet leaving the island still in 1977. How is this going to end. Maybe Alpert has the answer? Everyone says he is very old. I mean, he is present at all alternate times, in 1954 when he found the bomb, in 1977 when they are about to destroy the energy/source, in 2005 after the Algiers flight crashed... Who is Alpert. What is his purpose.

April 8, 2010 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. Diego

I don't get it. It's too damn confusing!

April 8, 2010 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. Arwin

I realized that when Desmond was in the airport and hugo passed him that a man only two feet away had the same color shoes!!! BROWN! and When charlie tries to crash the car if you look closely the man the camera zooms in on is brad pitt heres to all you over obsessed completely LOST people! GO GET A GIRLFRIEND/BOYFRIEND PRONTO!!!!!!!

April 7, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Linda

Oh my again, I'm not 64, I just turned 68......Which "Flash" did I just have??????

April 7, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. lostfan T

As I said a few weeks ago...none of the characters are as interesting and mysterious as Richard and Desmond. My bet is on the two of them being the key to this whole thing. Two dark and mysterious men, chosen for a specific task by the island, both hopelessly in love, both on the island prior to the crash...

April 7, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Linda

I read a lot of science, I read a lot about spiritulism, I am totally devoted to lost, and will be far after the last episode. But – I had no idea I could be so stupid in trying to make it all come together. I'm 64, retired, and on disability and when the whole series comes out, I no doubt will spend most of the rest of my life watching it from the beginning, and still trying to make it all come together. Absolutely fascinating. I have thought that maybe in Flashforward, they will all wake up on an island....Oh my!!!

April 7, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dave

"actually i have one question; as far as i know desmond arrived island via his boat in a race and a dharma guy in hedge fooled him and kept until their fight. but now we saw desmond in the LA. I wonder how the scenary team will fix or make clear this case."

– There's nothing to fix here. The alternate timeline where the plane lands is because the hatch was blown up long before the race even occured. So Desmond never went on the race in the first place. He apparently has not even met Penny in the alternate timeline, as evidenced by the fact that they met for the first time at the stadium. And therefore he had no reason to go on the race.

April 7, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Rimtoss

I agree about Fast Forward. See my comment back on 6:01 PM.

April 7, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. MrXtopher

Personally, I think that the season finale of LOST will merge with FlashForward somehow... that would be a first, and I would be VERY impressed.

April 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jeff

Another worthless episode.

6 years and no REAL answers...

I like the show but have downgraded my expectations to be that the only thing to be revealed will be who gets off the island and how they get off the island.

Enjoy the ride but that is about it.

April 7, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Janet

All I know is that after reading a smattering of the postings is that you all are DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!
    Tell me are you the type that tries to figure out a movie and talks about while watching it????
    I'm still enjoying the ride and will be sad when the rides comes to a complete stop, I won't want to step off of it.

April 7, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  20. darkstar

Lostfan: get over the Christianity references. There are many other religions in the world that exist (or have existed) besides Christianity. The concept of good vs evil/light vs. dark predates any Christian writings. If you opened up books besides the bible, you would already know this.

April 7, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Pete Gordon

I wonder if this is a tangent universe similar to the time travel philosophy that was covered in Donnie Darko?

April 7, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Steve

Awesome. I wont pretend I understand everyything, but I'm enjoying the amazing writing and twists and turns and shocks. When its all done, I'll be going back and watching my Lost Season 1-5 dvds!

April 7, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Never Lost

Here is my guess for the finale-
    Whatever Widmore is trying, he will be successful, Locke loses but doesnt die and Sawyer becomes the new Locke. We can see this from his desperation to get off the island similar to Locke and Jack will be the new Jacob safe guarding the island. Jack and Sawyer never saw eye to eye.
    thats my theory though...really looking forward for the finale

April 7, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Dick Higdon

What's with everyone getting cut?
    Jin, Sun, Jack, Claire, Desmond, Widmore, Sayid???

April 7, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  25. David

I think that this is going to end up like the 1981 movie "time Bandits". How much do you want to bet that Terry Gilliam makes an appearnce in the finale as the Supreme Being that has been conducting an experiment?

April 7, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  26. jose raul de jesus

I love the Penny and Desmond storyline and I'm Hype about cast members returns but I want to know what is the deal with the fligh attendant and the two kids also want to know what is Lapidus connection with the island?

April 7, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  27. LostFan

What if the island is heaven and if smokey is Christ? If those that don't want him to leave are actually evil because if he leaves it is the second coming of Christ(rapture or something like that). Wouldn't that be a reason for everything else to not exist? Just asking.

April 7, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  28. d3l3t3m3

Great episode! Desmund's episodes are usually really good!

There were two paintings in Charles office... both of them had an equilibrium scale with black and white "stones" on it. But did anyone notice that the scale was drawn in such a way that it almost looked like a Cross?

Also, in S03 E07, Alex's boyfriend was being brainwashed (in the same room where Jin ends up in S06), and one of the scenes said:

"God loves you as He loved Jacob"

Was it intentional to throw us off? Or does it have some meaning to it? I sure hope the series doesn't end in something lame like they ended Prison Break.

Only time will tell...

April 7, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Marissa

Perhaps the end will be the Losties choosing which life to live, which timeline will survive. Each timeline has a balance of sorts, it's simply a question of what you can live with, and without. Every single one of them in the alternate timeline is living without the one they love, in some cases not even aware they exist. Do you choose love, even after losing it, or do you choose ignorance?

April 7, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  30. klost

On a better note i like the hospital idea some one gave, it does seem like every character is ending up on a hospital one way or another.

April 7, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  31. klost

correction...."an idiot"...sorry for typing fast...geezz that just got personal...

April 7, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  32. klost

Ok, so i guess they had that lame ending writen the whole time and have been lying to us all the whole time to TRICK us! LMFAO...give me a break...TV has changed since then people...Before the show even aired they had the ending and the begining written.

April 7, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Kay

hey klost – "and idiot!!!!!" Who qualifies?????

April 7, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Kay

It's a generational check on who can remember "St. Elsewhere", "Dallas" or "Bob Newhart". Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember all three and I recognize the path we are on no matter what the producers say.

April 7, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  35. klost

PLEASE stop saying this is going to end being in hurley's head...the writers and producers have said TIME and TIME agian that it is not a dream or in someones head...so STOP saying that, it makes you look like and idiot!!!!! Also if you hate the show, then get off the blog about it stupid! This is one of the best show's of all time and just because you have to actualy use your mind does not make it a "waste of air time"

April 7, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  36. lrodgers

Anyone else notice the painting in Widmores office. It was a painting of a balance, with a bunch of white stones on one side, and black stones on the other. The balance showed them to be equal.

April 7, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  37. tracy

The situation already presented itself when Miles saw himself as a baby when seeing his dad, right?
    Last night's episode was excellent. I love Desmond!

April 7, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  38. tracy

Anyone else been wondering if Charlie is actually Desmond's son?

April 7, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Barry

Desmond can be a candidate if he is Wallace as some here have posited in the past.

April 7, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Dan

It will end with Hurley in the asylum and the whole thing has been a figment of his crazy mind.

April 7, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Nick

END THIS DRIBBLE OF A SHOW. I HAVE BEEN WATCHING IT SINCE IT FIRST STARTED HOPING IT WOULD IMPROVE. HOWEVER I'VE COME TO THE REALIZATION THAT THE ONLY ONES LOST ARE THE WRITTERS, DIRECTOR, ACTORS OF THIS "WASTE OF AIR TIME".
    PLEASE END IT SOON.

April 7, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Rimtoss

This is going to end up like the Bob Newhart Show. That's why so many of the Lost characters are on Flash Forward. These two shows are going to tie together in the end. Mark my words!

April 7, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Melrose

@what about jack: her boyfriend who skipped out on her. I think his name was Tom. If you mean maybe it was someone else in the FS, we don't know yet...

April 7, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Kay

"Penny is my "HALF" sister?"

April 7, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  45. LostFan58

@DudeDad- Fisher has already been on the show, in season 4. He too was going back and forth through time and ends up dying

April 7, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Lew

@what about jack – Claire's boyfriend in Austrailia impregnated her. He then abandoned her. This was shown in one of Claire's flashbacks in season 1 or 2.

April 7, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  47. what about jack

who impregnated claire???

April 7, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  48. hvnlsjfiols

This was the best episode of the series, despite the fact that it has been the second worst season of the 6 (4 was awful). ...Maybe Desmond can see the future as he once did with Charlies...

April 7, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Lew

@Melissa – I believe Miles can hear the last thoughts of dead people but can't actually talk to them.

April 7, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Lew

@TakeMeThere – Aaron is not the only child born on the island. Women used to be able to have babies on the island (e.g., Ethan Goodspeed and Miles). Alex was also born on the island. Ethan, Alex, and Miles were all born after the statue was destroyed by the Black Rock.

Aaron is unique in that he was born on the island after pregnant women began dying on the island (the cause of which we don't know yet). But...Aaron wasn't conceived on the island.

April 7, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  51. jr

@christy – the hospital theory – GREAT STUFF...youre onto something!

April 7, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  52. ceekay

Christy – The Oceanic 6 were on the island for 108 days. Desmond had to push the button every 108 minutes and Hurley's lottery numbers add up to 108. Pretty cool.

April 7, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  53. rtb

815 was constructed by Widmore, Hawking, and Christian....the people on 815 had to come to the island to "fix" issues created by Dharma over many years of manipulation of the island. This is why Christian went to Australia and was killed (or elected to die). Also the only way to get Jack and Christian on the same plane.

April 7, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Melissa

Forgot to mention-trivial, but does anyone remember the Faraday constant from chem class? All the talk of Desmond being Daniel's constant reminded me of it.

April 7, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Christy

The "real timeline" is taking place about 3 years ahead of the "sideways timeline." The Oceanic 6 got off the island 100 days after the crash, then lived off the island for 3 years before returning to it. The ones left behind lived w/ the Dharma folks for 3 years before the Ajira flight crashed and everyone came back to the island.

So the "sideways timeline" is actually 3 years in the past, where the "real timeline" is the present.

Confused yet?

I know, I know, but be patient. I'm thinking there is more time travel involved here, and when Desmond shows these people the "real timeline" they are going to warp 3 years to the present and be on the island and know what they have to do.

April 7, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Melissa

Help me, I forgot the gift that Miles has. He can speak to dead people right after they die? Or can he speak to dead people any time? Hugo can speak to dead people or is it another time line for the "dead" people? Why is Hugo speaking to dead people and not Miles? I could see Michael, since Hugo knew him but not Richard's wife.
    I'm still leaning more to special relativity and light cones explaining the 2 time lines.

Still a great episode and keeps me thinking of all possibilities.

April 7, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  57. TakeMeThere

Let the Light of Love shine on...white = light, black = dark
    Hmmm..thinking of Jacob as Aaron....what if Smokey can inhabit a "dead" body (death) then possibly Jacob can only inhabit a "new" being /human (birth). Aaron was the only known baby born ON the island, hence the whole concept & birth quagmire. Maybe no one birth could birth a child on the island could be because the Fertility statue/deity was damaged/destroyed by the black rock. Thanks for pipointing out the chamber Des was put in by Whidmore looked like the cabin. the cabin was probably an EM field containing smokey hence the ash also surrounding the cabin. Still have not figured out when real Locke when in the cabin and heard "help me." thanks for all the TRUE Lost fans on this blog since I have no one to discuss & dissect with.

April 7, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Pete

@ h8 lost: Oh ok. So when they killed off Tony Almeda, only to bring him back seasons later, that was good use of their star supporting characters? ARE YOU KIDDING? Man no offense, 24 has nothing on Lost. This is like 24's 8th try at "THIS IS THE LAST SEASON, THIS TIME WE ARE SERIOUS" Look at the ratings, if it were so much better, they would be higher. Nobody watches that show anymore.

April 7, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Jennifer

This may not matter but who is Penny's mother? I thought I heard the last name Milton last night but does anyone have any thoughts?

April 7, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Brickcll

One thing that I don't understand.

Though the time lines cross-over and we can safely assume that when Widmore put Des in the EM chamber he cross-over to the alternate life/reality.

Though the cross-over was initiated by Widmore long after actual 815 crashed on the island ( in the actual time line) still Des reached to the point/time when flight 815 landed safely in LA (in alternate time line).

That means in the actual reality (in which plane crashed on the island) we are actually being told a story in future compared to the one in alternate reality.

April 7, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  61. ceekay

It's beginning to look as if Widmore is one of the good guys, albeit not a very nice person. At this very moment if I was asked who I thought was top of the list of candidates I'd have to say Hurley with fake Locke as the MIB but with LOST who knows. I've given thought to an ending and thought that maybe everyone gets what they really want when they get off the island. Jack gets Kate, Sawyer gets Julliet, Jin gets Sun
    etc. Hurley is the only one with no real attachments back in the world, obvious replacement for Jacob.

April 7, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  62. sue

and I think were worthier than Ben and had the chance to meet Jacob, umlike Ben.

April 7, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  63. sue

cecil – Widmore only knows MIB by rumors and stories (last week's episode). I think he and Eloise know Jacob....they were after all in charge of the others before Ben.

April 7, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Allie

no one is ever dead unless you see the body. and then, only maybe.

April 7, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Allie

maybe Hugo isn't talking to dead people...... maybe he's talking to the alternate universe............

April 7, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  66. DudeDad

@ Sean – Most hour-long shows are about 44 minutes (30 minute shows are 22 minutes) - pretty industry standard, unfortunately!

Eloise sent them back - they had to go back, she said.....either (1) she is helping MIB, since he needs them to leave (or so he claims, and I doubt she is helping him) or (2) since she is aware of multiple timelines, wants them to go back to prevent her from killing her son (Daniel).

I wonder whether the guest list she would not let Desmond see and the manifest have anything in common.

The chauffeur seemed awfully helpful....and he was wearing black...hmmm....they didn't cast just anyone to play him...Fisher Stevens has been around....

Perhaps the battle is not about good and evil...perhaps it's about which timeline survives....

I hate most of the episodes because they end quickly and I JUST WANT TO KNOW!! Looking forward to the end, but at the same time, I'm not...

.... DudeDad

April 7, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Jim

I thought this episode was excellent. Desmond is a man of many purposes now – he is a key player in both dimensions. I know I'm a bit late saying it but the Richard episode this season was INCREDIBLE. I've been following him for 5 seasons or so and found I was the first among my friends to recognize how special and different he was. I found his story heartbreaking and beautiful.

April 7, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Bob C

You've got it Liz! American Idol and Dancing w/ the Stars for those folks.

April 7, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Chang

It seemed to me that the whole "Sayid ambush" was a set-up. Widmore and Desmond knew it was coming. It's part of Widmore's plan to get Desmond into Locke's camp. Otherwise why would Des have been so calm about it?

April 7, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Cecil

I can't help but thinking that somehow Charles Widmore himself wants to go back in time to before he was thrown off the island.

Whatever he knew and was doing was interrupted and he wants to go back and finish it. And, he thinks that using Desmond and his "talent" will accomplish this.

Maybe Widmore knows something about MIB and Jacob, and he is wanting to be the arbittrator to this power struggle, so it will benefit him.

There will have to be some connection between him and MIB and Jacob for everything to be resolved.....

Just a thought....

April 7, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Andulamb

There is no reason to assume that Charlie didn't see Claire on the plane. He may very well have. But she didn't have any significance to him in that timeline. The near-death visions of the "real" timeline are not simply visions, but a temporary crossing over. Charlie didn't just see Claire in his vision, he crossed over to a timeline in which he was in love with her. Just as Desmond does not love Penny because he saw her name on Charlie's hand, but because he temporarily crossed over into a timeline where he was in love with her.

I say near-death visions, but is near-death really the trigger? Desmond wasn't near death when he had his vision. He was, however, under water watching Charlie (apparently) drown. And his vision was of Charlie drowning. So perhaps the trigger is experiencing something in the new timeline that is similar to something in the real timeline. But then how did Charlie know that taking their car for a swim (and faking his drowning) would trigger Desmond's vision? The only explanation is that Charlie's original vision had been the same as Desmond's. Except that it wasn't. His was of Claire. Or was it? Did he simply see Claire? Or did he have the same vision of his death, when not only would have have given his warning to Desmond but also would have been thinking of Claire? Anyway, if he did have a vision of his death in the real timeline, the trigger would have been choking on his bag of drugs - choking is basically the same as drowning, as in both cases your oxygen supply is cut off.

So let's say that's true, and the trigger is a person experiencing something similar to something that happened in the real timeline. Desmond plans to visit each person who was on the plane and basically do what Charlie did to him. But how will Desmond know each person's trigger?

April 7, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Sean

1) all eps are 42to43 mins long. Ever since s1 there as been the exact same amount of time devoted to the commericals. look it up.

2) I still think Jack is the one. Will end with his eye ball. Desmond is my favriot char, alond with Miles. I like Miles.

April 7, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Lisa

VERY WELL SAID LIZ !

April 7, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  74. fo

The sideways timeline is not what would have happend if Smokey gets off the island since according to Witmore, Penny and everybody else would not exist.

April 7, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Mod

Agreed Liz.

April 7, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  76. sue

I agree with Liz

April 7, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  77. what about jack

does anyone else think it will come down to jack in the end. i do. i thought last nights episode sucked. and i agree with all of the other comments on how unrealistic some scenes were. like meeting penny at night in a stadium then making plans to have coffee. very cheesy acting by des as well. i have seen much better episodes than this.

April 7, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Liz

This a very intellegent show, and my experience is that people I know who aren't deep thinkers or who don't like to work their minds struggle with it. It is too much effort to pay attention to all the details that make this facinating. Those who criticize this show may just not be able to process as needed to follow along and enjoy the story. Referring to 24 is a perfect example since the storeline there is obvious, and the writers are more interested in action and effect than intricacy, and I say that as a long-term 24 watcher. 24 is fun to watch, but often predicable like this season and who the mole was. Those who comment negatively here might be happier watching other shows that are more entertainment oriented and require less focus.

April 7, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Mickrock

Hurley helps everyone...

April 7, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Mickrock

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Discuss...

And in the end, the love you make is equal to the love you take... discuss.

Balance, Scales.

April 7, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  81. rtb

A lot of great reading in here....just have one comment or observation:

Everyone keeps referring to the "original timeline" and "new timeline"....what about this....what if the "new timeline" is actually the original timeline? And the timeline that began the series is the alternate?

Maybe the reason they all converge on the island via 815 and Dharma is because it was engineered in the present? Widmore and Eloise have engineered the entire island scenario. I can't say what the end result is supposed to be based on this concept though.

April 7, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  82. tim

maybe jacob can turn into animals....hurley's bird, vincent, kate's horse

April 7, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  83. LostFan58

@Jay- You didnt read that right, all D was talking avbout was that Ben wasnt ment to be important when he was first written, it was the actor that did such a good job and was liked by the fans so he was given a bigger part.

April 7, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Mod

a funny bit no one has pointed out yet–

as the doctor put desmond into the MRI machine he made a comment about "pushing the button" if he started to panic. cute cute!

April 7, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  85. LostFan58

I'm sure Michael will say things to hugo to the extent of him being sorry for Libby and that they need to stop Mr. Loophole for the sake of his son. In fact isnt the next ep "Everyone Loves Hugo"? I wouldnt be surprised if we saw a lot of dead island people then. Also Hurley Eps. are awesome!

April 7, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Kathy

This is a show which I have found interesting over the years. Only complaint I now have is that you get 15 minutes of an hr show and 45 of advertising. I find that criminal. If that is the future of TV, I may give it up after the last episode of LOST.

April 7, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Jay

Locke/MIB/Smoke monster could not possibly be Sayid. They've been in the same scenes together!
    COME ON PEOPLE

April 7, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Jay

"He is not that much a piece of this final season b/c he was never supposed to be" – D
    Yeah, Ben only killed Jacob & had an entire episode about his alternate universe life, so he's not much of a piece of the story.

April 7, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Jay

"I'm confused as to a few comments that say "flash sideways" what does that mean?" – Foshee

Are you even paying attention to the show? holy crap I can't believe how dumb some people are in here about the show.

Isn't Penny dead? how do they explain Desmond not finding the island on the boat?
    Are those real questions? Come on people, keep up or change the channel.

April 7, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Christy

Desmond is not a candidate, is he?

He can't replace Jacob unless he is a candidate, right?

April 7, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Aaron

i see the sideways reality as almost like "The Matrix". Once Locke gets off the island and the gateway to hell consumes the world, everyone is now living in this sideways bogus reality. which would explain the comment when Desmond mentions Penny to Ms Widmore that asking about and seeing her is not permitted. slowly the cast will be waking up and remembering the real world.

desmond needs to stay on the island and become the next in line after jacob.

April 7, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  92. D

@what about jack – IMO b/c thankfully the writers realized that Jack was one of the weakest and least interesting characters. Once it was clear that "Locke," Desmond, Hurley, Ben, were the characters fans cared about, they went with it. Look at Ben, he was a nothing character until they realized what they had with him, hence writing the middle seasons specifically for him. He is not that much a piece of this final season b/c he was never supposed to be an important piece to begin with, they just responded to the audience. Makes sense since they basically had the begining and end written.

I could be wrong, but that is my best guess.

April 7, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  93. D

I like 24 as well...although at this point its pretty weak that the writers cannot come up with anything better than a mole in CTU...again and again and again.

@ Mr. Bean, didn't they show Michael in the scenes for next week or was that a scene from an old episode?

April 7, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Tim

Both Eloise and Charles Widmore must know about the alternate realities. The nuke could not change what happened earlier in time, so they both would have already experienced the death of their son in each reality. And going forward in one reality they would raise their son knowing that he would use physics to save himself. And in the other reality they would keep him away from physics and spoil him hoping that they won't loose their son. I am curious as to how they got off of the island after the bomb, and when it did sink. I know that Ben and his father made it off, but I'm not sure if they were in that sub that left.

April 7, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  95. CC

That was another one of the best episodes! The double timeline are slowly emeraging when Des saw the vision of another timeline from Charlie's hand. And I agree that was much better without the big red V on the screen. Lost is so addicting. What am I going to do when it's over?!

April 7, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  96. what about jack

isn't jack suppose to be the main character of the whole show? it seemed that way when it first started. i think the ending has to do with him ultimately with everyone else supporting him to make the final decision.

April 7, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  97. what about jack

isn't jack so suppose to be the main character of the whole show. it seemed that way when it first started. i think the ending has to do with him ultimately with everyone else supporting.

April 7, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Hender

Real Question : Will We See Vincent Again?!

April 7, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  99. tillthewheelsfalloff

@Tom-I agree with your guesses about smokey taking over dead bodies, but how do we know that Jacob can't do the same thing? He could have very well been Yemi, the horse or in my opinion could be Sayid right now.

And don't forget that boy that flocke was chasing through the jungle a few episodes ago while he was recruiting Sawyer.

April 7, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Mr.bean

You will not ever see the character Michael mentioned in the rest of the series because the actor who played him started to bad mouth the show after they brought him back then killed him off again leaving another male african american child fatherless. Don't believe me?

April 7, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Brian

@ 4lost

It can still be different timelines altogether, Ben and his father still went to the island when Ben was young and the bomb exploded sinking the island from the inside, but they escaped on the boat before the island sank. Remember alot of the Dharma initiative was leaving the island before the bomb went off.

Also, your comment made me think of this....what if everyone in the original timeline died going back in time with the bomb on the island, and they all were reincarnated into themeselves and lived the same life as their previous one, but no have a chance to change and make better choices this time around in order to change their fates? They are essentially living the same life over and over again, but with a chance to do better/differently each time?

April 7, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Bill

We have 2 concurrent timelines. For reasons that are not yet clear, one of them must prevail. Why can't both continue? Hey! Its fiction. Anyway, in what everyone is calling the alternate timeline the island is submerged. Jacob apparently has the ability to leave the island while Smoky can not. I can see why Smoky would want the island to not be submerged. But what about Jacob? Do we ever get to see what he is up to in the alternate timeline?

April 7, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  103. joco, Manchester, NH

The question is – where do Jacob and Smokey come from? USA did an article that discussed it.
    The Egyptian theme seems to reappear over and over again. Last night when they brought Desmond back with the Magnet Forces it began to all start to come together.
    Yes, Desmond and Penny are Star Crossed Lovers.
    Who else?
    Sun and Jin?
    Kate and Sawyer – let's face it, Sawyer will be a hero some way, some how. He's already sacrificed so much. Where will this leave Jack? Maybe partners with HUGO! I love HUGO. It's all a fantastic story. Good tv is so hard to find and I have enjoyed every moment of Lost.

April 7, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  104. 4lost

also remember that when we see ben in the alternate timeline with his father, his father mentions that they should have never gone to the island, meaning that it may be an alternate timeline, but just a different point in time!

April 7, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  105. TTG

Rose and Bernard are Adam and Eve

April 7, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Mod

Melissa–My thoughts EXACTLY about Desmond. When he offered Claire a ride at the airport I also remember shouting that she was crazy and I would get into a car with him at the drop of a hat. Bahaha.

April 7, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  107. 4lost

jacob is arron

April 7, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Brian

@LostFan58...i know Michael is dead, but he was shown in the previews, assuming as ghost to Hurley, so why would he need to speak to Hurley from the beyond?....thats what I'm trying to get at

April 7, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Foshee

I don't think the island is Hell. I think it's a good place with some evil on it and the evil doesn't not do well living with the good. I say this because Locke was able to walk after crashing on the island, Rose's cancer went away. guess I can't think of any other miricles.....

April 7, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  110. bob

i think walt ran into Locke's wheelchair or something in the "sideways timeline" when locke was becoming a teacher in the Ben Linus episode.

April 7, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  111. cstyle

815, it was the season 4 finale. it was the orchid station, ben tells him the vault is for "silly Dharma experiments" and gives locke a video orientation film for station 6. the narrator explains the station is where they conduct experiment in space and time due to the properties of the island which create a Casimir effect. Dharma built a vault next to a pocket of negatively charged exotic matter. the narrator warns never to put anything inorganic inside the vault due to the energy of t he island can be very volatile. the narrator puts a bunny insode the chamber and explains that he is about to shift the rabbit in space and time, then the tape jams. etc etc etc ben blows up the chamber , then takes out the metal stuff, reveals a hole in the back of the chamber, goes through the hole to a tunnel to a ladder, punches through the ice , turns the big wheel and the island moves.

but yes 815, the vault in the orchid seems similar to what widmore is testing, espeacially because there is a rabbit that they were going to put in widmores chamber! also they ask Des if he has anything metal in his pockets, deff. similar things going on 815 just need the facts straight

April 7, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  112. LostFan58

@Brian-Michael is dead, he blew up on the freighter at the end of season 4

@Craig-I would agree but if you play it over she asks if they met before, even though its a timeline were they never met she still feels this connection, the writers are hinting that somewhere in their subconscious they know these people. Hence she would agree to coffee with a complete stranger

@E-Yeah I get that feeling too its as if somehow she is able to always know how things were and how they should be (I'm referring to the ep in season 3 where she tells des that he isn't ment to buy the ring)

@V- Rewatch "the constant" in season 4, when des was going back and forth through time for the most part he didn't know he was going back and forth and the reason he had to contact penny was if he didn't he would die from the stress his mind was dealing with trying to figure it all out.

@I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It- Really?! So Tony Almeda dying and then coming back to life is perfectly ok with you and not confusing?! You are a troll and im sick of reading your garbage.

April 7, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Lucy

I wonder why there has been no more mention of Michael, Walt, and their dog. I don't think they've been in any of the flashes.

April 7, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Monika

Why does cupid's arrow wake Desmond, Charlie, and Faraday - but not Penny, Charlotte, Sayid, Sun, or Jin?

April 7, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Di

To Emm: I also did notice that it looked like Jacob's cabin. In fact, it confused me for a second because I actually thought it WAS Jacob's cabin.

April 7, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Brian

back @ Craig, even so, with Michael being a ghost to Hurley....why Michael, why does he need to come back and talk to Hurley, I don't see how he figures into the situation. What does he have to say to Hurley...maybe something about Walt? He and Hurley were always hanging out together before they left....

April 7, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  117. ECIZ

I think when the bomb went off the MIB escaped and altered the list of the losties at that point from 1977 and thats what the sideways timeline is.

April 7, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  118. dez

Last night was a great episode! It was back to the science side of this whole mystery, after a long focus on the spiritual side. Maybe a great ending to the series will show us how the two are deeply connected -even dependent upon one another. God and science, rational choice and destiny.

We've heard "you always have a choice" repeated often this season, yet in the side flashes we see that no matter the characters' choices, it seems that certain events or people are destined to be part of their lives. Same thing with God and science. We can explain how almost everything works in this world, yet ultimately God has a plan that we cannot control. Great how LOVE is playing a huge part in this as well. Can't wait to find out more!

April 7, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  119. born yesterday

Driveshaft
    (You All) Everybody lyrics
    Rock and roll, man

I walk around my town
    Watch the people come and go
    I watch them up and down
    And i see what they don't know
    They have given up on me
    I can see it in their eyes
    Well, i have given up on you
    And i think you should realise

You all, everybody
    You all, everybody
    I don't like you stupid people
    Wearing expensive clothes
    You all everybody
    You all, everybody

You all everybody

I know you see what i have been
    And compare with what i am
    But i don't care now what you've seen
    I'm just doing what i can
    You say you've given up on me
    And you say it like i should care
    Well i have given up on you
    And no, i don't want to “share”

Chorus

You all everybody

And will you get the message now?
    When i cross my heart and shout it out damn loud?

Chorus

You all everybody
    Yeah, you all everybody

April 7, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Luigi

I love this show. I don't know what else to watch after the show is over...

April 7, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Lew

Agree with comments that it appears Eloise is aware of both timelines and the theory that she doesn't want the island timeline to play out because that timeline means she killed Daniel. Could it be that a fate where Desmond and Penny end up together equals a fate where Daniel is killed by Eloise and she can't deal with the guilt?

It's seemed like Eloise has always been against Desmond and Penny being together. Recall season 3 or 4 when Eloise (as a jewelery dealer) tells Desmond that he's not supposed to buy an engagement ring for Penny because he shouldn't marry her.

April 7, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Mod

icy–i really like the idea of the love/death relation. i was trying to figure out why only certain people were picking up on the alternate reality possibility (charlie and daniel) and obviously, both of them have passed on in the island world. this would die in minkowski as well. can we think of anyone else that has appeared in flash sideways who are otherwise deceased? (aside from peoplel like keamy).

April 7, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Tom

Smokey can take over ANY dead body on the Island. He was Christian to Jack, he was Yemi to Mr. Eko, he may have been the horse to Kate and now he is FLocke – another dead body.

What needs to be explained is:
    What turned the Real Flocke into the Smoke Monster. (My guess is jacob had him contained and then the energy under the island set him free – very Superman 2)
    Also – Why can Hurley speak to dead people
    Lastly – Why can't Jacob take over another body yet is able to appear to Hurley when he want.
    By no means are these the only questions – just the ones related to speaking and seeing dead people.

April 7, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Jocelyn

I have a feeling it comes down to science vs faith. You have all the Losties following Jacob or Man in Black, then you have Des, Widmore on the side of science.

I am glad the sideways episodes have been addressed now! Also, didn't Juliet say to Sawyer that maybe they could meet up for a cup of coffee right before she died? And Des and Penny are supposed to meet at a coffee shop? Interesting...

April 7, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  125. 815

Remember when ben took locke into one of the dharma stations and went into the room and said that the room "could make anyhing you wanted it to be? and then he started puting a bunch of metal stuff into the room, b4 he triggered some sort of EM happeneing and then he dissapreared into the alternate timeline?

April 7, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Melissa

Maybe she wasn't afraid of Desmond at the stadium because he's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love this show.

If it really is all Hurley's imagination, like how Shutter Island ended, I'm gonna cut somebody.

April 7, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  127. fan

Who saw the painting in Widmore's office? It was an abstract background that had a scale, with black and white rocks, symmetrically placed on the canvas. Thus, Charles Widmore is also "in the know".

Great episode: it was engaging and full of fun surprises and beloved characters. Thanks, LOST!

April 7, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  128. jack merridew

"As a matter of fact I was still so excited by 24's superior storytelling and acting that maybe I'm making an unfair comparison but Lost had better pick it up or be forever known as the show that couldn't match up to 24's final season."

24 is like watching a 12 year old boy write a show about how he thinks the world works

grow up

April 7, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Snoopy

Did anyone pay attention to Faraday's remark about "he should not have set off the nuclear bomb"?

April 7, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Found

Did anyone catch the picture of the scales on Widmore's office wall? On one side a black stone, on the other a white. Looks like the one in the cave. It was hard to see since the directors had a lamp covering it partially in all scenes.

April 7, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Ray

The question is; Will we see Walt again?

April 7, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Maryann Rose - Orlando FL

buh is correct. You ALL Everybody.

April 7, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  133. megrcam51

My whole theory on Christian Shepard is that his body (which was being transported in a coffin on the original 815 JUST LIKE LOCKE) was the smoke monster's form before he took Locke's body. This would explain why Claire was always with him after she ran away and we haven't seen him since but Locke is with Claire now. Anybody else get that impression?

April 7, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  134. buh

As someone who has watched the show since 2004, I can tell you with certainty that the lyrics (and name of the song) are "You All Everybody", not "You Are Everybody".

April 7, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Lee

Hey johnny Mack, you ever heard of the movie Wizard of OZ!! Oh yea, it's pretty famous, what happens in that movie? Yep, she wakes up and finds out it's all a dream, and the characters are her family, but the auther keeps you wondering if it was real, and what it meant? That is the reference I'm making about Hurley and his imagination. All the characters real, maybe all the characters are in the looney house with Hurley? Maybe Lost creators will end it with it going in seperate ways and leaving you to believe whatever. Just like the Wizard of OZ

April 7, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  136. jack merridew

I don't think the way Charlie and Desmond discover they are in an "alternate reality" was handled very intelligently. What, so if someone has an odd near-death experience you immediately assume you are in an alternate reality? Come on.

charlie doesnt know its an alternate reality he only knows that this isn't the way things were suppossed to be

btw anybody gonna address the fact that charlie dies so aaron and clair could get off the island but that never happened

so why did he die again?

April 7, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  137. jack merridew

bottom line

my theory from LAX is still possible

the alt sideline is bleeding through to the main timeline, with the help of certain people in the alt this will be completed in the FInale , at which point John Locke will beat Smokie become Jacob and be the islands protector

you know why? because hes John Locke thats why

April 7, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  138. SEYMOORE

How about the clanking noise when Desmond went into the MRI.
    sounded like the cranking of the smoke monster.

April 7, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  139. gsmraleigh

To Craig and The Mick. Maybe Penny is just self-confident and able to take care of herself without worrying about some boogie man behind every corner.

April 7, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  140. LuvBNLost

One Question*: How many ppl do you know that have crashed on an island and set off a nuclear bomb just have side ways flashes 30 years ahead? Obviously, with watching this show you have to have some imagination and let a few things go...

April 7, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  141. gsmraleigh

Desmond Fan: The lyrics are not, "You all everybody." The lyrics are: "You ARE Everybody."

April 7, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Lisa

michelle – i was thinking about when desmond was there too and he said that to jack, and after reading what you wrote, it made me think, perhaps time moves again and when he meets jack there he knows about the island and whats going to happen because it already happened and he remembers it

April 7, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  143. gsmraleigh

Christy: very good evaluation. where will they be when the timelines converge?

The Mick: The msg on Charlie's palm was excellent though I didn't see it coming.

I do think Eloise has a greater knowledge of what is going. It will be interesting to watch how she manipulates Faraday.

April 7, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Michael

This season of LOST has been a mixed bag for me. What started out confusing and meandering has started to gain some traction and relevance in the past 2 or 3 episodes. I thought last night's episode, and even more the two previous, have started to give a clear direction of where the show is going and the overall message the creators are trying to relay. With only 5 episodes left, hopefully they can get that full message across. http://thesmogger.com/2010/04/06/has-lost-found-its-footing/

April 7, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  145. wickedcricket

LOL @ craig – so, u believe in the smoke monster and a disappearing island but don't believe Penny would meet Des for coffee?
    lmao! I said the same thing about Sun's 'aphasia' (it doesn't "go away" on it's own) and my LOST buds reminded me of this simple fact:
    To watch & enjoy the LOST experience, you have to suspend belief;
    if you try to apply common sense to this show, YOU will be LOST

April 7, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Emm

Did anyone notice that the EM chamber that Des was placed in looked a lot like Jacob's cabin?

April 7, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Desmond Fan

I want that Driveshaft song! "You all everybody!...You all everybody!!"

April 7, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  148. The_Mick

Craig – I think that Penny wasn't afraid of Desmond in an empty stadium because he looked familiar ("Do I know you?").

Anyway, any woman who'd run alone at night in an accessible, empty stadium probably doesn't have enough common sense to know she should worry about approaches by strange men!

Or maybe there's a body guard out of our vision.

April 7, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Michelle

Last nights episode was great! Something I picked up on and there may be a connection between this but remember when Jack and Desmond first meet (when they are running stairs (in the same stadium where he meets Penny in last nights episode) and he says to Jack his famous line, "see you in another lifetime brother". Maybe Desmond knows about the "duel" lives. We know at the end of this weeks episode that he wants the flight manifest to "show everyone what they are missing". Maybe this is a giant loop and although there are different lives they all somehow relate/link to eachother. Obviously Desmond knows and might be on to something. Just something I was thinking while watching the end of the episode.

April 7, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  150. johnny mack

people who still think this is all Hurley's imagination have absolutely no imagination themselves, and how they've stuck with the series so long is news to me. and also they apparently don't read interviews with the producers and the cast that appear on cnn, or they would clearly have read that daniel de kim said he had to just sit for 10 minutes after reading the script for the series finale to let it all soak in...sound like a response to finding out it's a dream? i think not.

April 7, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  151. The_Mick

When Charlie, in the alternative non-crash timeline, opened his hand to the submerged car window and the words "Not Penny's Boat" appeared on it, I nearly jumped out of my chair! This is the kind of unexpected turn that has made this series so fascinating – like the apparent strange flashback automobile scene of Jack and Kate a few seasons back which you suddenly realized was a flash-forward.

April 7, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  152. Paul from Mass

Sun and Jin are going to be picked as the new Jacob & black smoke

April 7, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  153. Craig

@ Brian...Michael is dead. He is appearing to Hurley as a ghost.

April 7, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  154. Brian

Did no one else notice Michael in the previews for next week? Maybe next week we will get to see where he has been for the past three years, and hopefully Walt as well. I wonder what their purpose for coming back is.......

April 7, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  155. Craig

One question. What woman all alone in an empty stadium would be comfortable with a complete stranger approaching them at night then agreeing to meet for coffee after talking for five minutes, especially after such strange behavior. Answer, NO ONE.

April 7, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  156. Pam

ooohhh....E......I like that – not sure if she "masterminded" the new timeline, but it does make a bit of sense since she seems to be in "the know" that she would want to keep Daniel alive.

I love Eloise.

April 7, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  157. Evy

Did anyone else catch Desmond's last name: Hume. I thought it was an incredible reference- David Hume the philosopher was (1) heavily influenced by John Locke- the empiristics philosopher, and (2) believed in the connect between free will and necessity- or the operations of nature where similar objects are constantly conjoined together.... not sure how this will play in exactly, but something to ponder...

April 7, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  158. Lee

oh yea sorry "You are everybody", which makes more sense cause I think Hurley is "everybody", making all the characters up...

April 7, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  159. I love Sandra

Wow, the 2 timelines are slowly starting to make more sense, thanks to Desmond and Charlie.

April 7, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  160. E

Daniel's mother obviously wants there to be the new timeline. In opposite world, her son is still with her and she didn't kill him. I think she masterminded it, giving everyone what they want, in order to keep her son alive.

April 7, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  161. V

Its plausible that Desmond would be on flight 815 given everything in history since the 1977 explosion of the bomb was different in the alternate time line. Nothing occurred the exact same way in the alternate time line as it did in the original. Apparently, since there seems an apparent theme in the show that you can changes paths but you cannot change destiny, world events happened totally different in the alternate time line to ensure every characters fates crossed even with the island not existing.

My main questions right now are; 1. What is the logical explanation for the original timeline to still exist and everyone warping back to the present of the original timeline after detonating the bomb? 2. Does original timeline Desmond realize that alternate timeline Desmond is a different reality? and Vice Versa? Because even though he jumped into to alternate timeline after the shock, it seemed he had no recollection of himself in the original timeline until the accident with charlie.

April 7, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  162. Tronik

Actually, I think I might have to disagree and say that it all timelines it seems Jin and Sun are more star-crossed lovers than meant to be. In the "real" timeline, Jin risked his life and nearly died so his wife could flee the island and have her baby in the safety of a hospital. He's been trying to get back to her ever since. In the alternate reality, Sun was shot by stray bullets from Jin's gun and now her life (or at least that of her unborn child's) hangs in the balance.

April 7, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  163. a

how do you guys think faraday and his mother eloise tie into this episode? it is obvious they are both very important characters...and making faradays mother married to widmore is obviously important in some way...

April 7, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  164. Melissa

I think it has more to do with the concert/show the Eloise is doing. She did not want Desmond to see the list because he wasn't ready yet. Wondering if it will end up being the same list as the manifest....

April 7, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  165. Di

it's "you all everybody", lee.

April 7, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  166. I H8te Lost But I Used To Love It

Lost was frustrating for me last night because while watching it I kept being reminded of the Stephen King movie Langoliers in which people get on a plane and the survivors wake up to find themselves in the future with the past rapidly catching up to devour them. Well last night's Lost was exactly like that story and I found it very uninspiring writing and I kept expecting the Langoliers to show up and eat Desmond, the Widmores, Penny and this stupid script.

There were some bright spots, Mrs. Widmore for instance who should have been used far more in this series. Again, another unfair comparison is that 24 knows how to use their star supporting actors. They don't file them away to be used years later as bit players.

April 7, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  167. Christy

I'm also wondering about Christian Sheperd...Not sure how he factors into all of this yet, but very curious to see if/when/how he returns.

April 7, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  168. DpackTX

@christy – WOW ! That was an interesting interpretation. Very very hard to disagree.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to see how all this relates to Jacob and Flocke. What would their roles (if at all) be in the alternate timeline ?

April 7, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  169. sue

I can see that Christy and sounds good too.

April 7, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  170. JVD

Was anyone able to figure out who was standing on the grass knoll as Des and Charlie were driving? The camera seemed to focus on that person who was just standing there are the car drove by (before Charlie caused the crash).

Wasn't Daniel killed on the Island in the 1970's when Eloise was shot while preggers?

April 7, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  171. TakeMeThere

Bravo Christy...good one. I think you are defintiely onto something here. And Christian Sheperd will appear once they are all together?

April 7, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  172. Lee

I think the song Charlie's band made "We are everybody" is a clue as well. What if this is all something Hurley is making up in his head? I mean he is crazy right, he can talk to dead people and seems to have all the answers. I bet this ends with him in the looney house making the whole thing up, talking to himself. For the shows sake, I hope not, but maybe they will twist it some how to leave you believeing it to be fake or real??

April 7, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  173. sue

Great Episode!

Rick – thanks for the info on Liam....will have to rewatch that episode saved on my DVR. I defn did not remember that.

Big al – yup, saw the eyeing while Widmore was on the phone. I love that stuff.

Desmond obviously was not an original passenger, but with the explosion everyone's lives changed. Sawyer is a cop now, certainly not before. Jack has a kid, didn't have one before. Sun and Jin not married...we know they are. Ben Linus' dad is alive and they get along...not the case originally. Everything is different, yet they all connect b/c it's Fate.

I'm excited for the end, but had a question. Eloise and Charles Widmore are off the island and safe. How and when did they get off before the explosion and what other OTHER made it off before the explsion of 1977?

April 7, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  174. Christy

I'm thinking that Desmond is going to get everyone together at the hospital and expose them to the MRI or do something to cause them to have a group experience...How will they get there?

Jack works there...Claire is there as a patient...Jin will bring Sun for treatment...I think Juliette may work there, and will be working with either Claire or Sun as both are pregnant...Sayid will be there visiting his brother...Sawyer and Miles will be there to investigate the shooting @ the restaurant and will want to talk to Sun & Jin...Locke may finally show up for a consult w/ Jack...Not sure how the rest of the castaways will get there, but that's my theory.

When they all "feel it," I think the time lines will converge and they will know what they have to do.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out!!!!

April 7, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  175. TakeMeThere

Great episode. Wickedcrickett & B Lewis right on. The message that seems to be coming forth after last night is "the constant" and "love"
    The constant seems to be a "love" relationship. the destiny of two becoming one. I thought the message of Jesus Christ in Christianity came down to one word "love." Love is the ultimate weapon against evil. Would "love" to hear further thiugths on this. (pun intended!)

April 7, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  176. CRS

Mike, yeah I agree. It makes me think that Hugo is Jacob's replacement because he gave alt-Locke the job and tells alt-Desmond where to go ...

April 7, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  177. mIKE PETERSON

ANY ONE ELSE PICK UP ON HUGO....HUGO SEEMS TO BE JACOBS RIGHT HAND MAN ALWAYS PUSHING PEOPLE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION...HE RANDOMALY TELLS DES THAT WHAT GATE TO GO TO...THERES MORE BEHIND THAT FAT MAN

April 7, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  178. Claire

The alternate timelines seem like the Schrödinger's Cat theory.

Which also was mentioned on FlashForward – as was the "let's go look for the people in our visions" kind of deal that's been going on in FF and sort of what Desmond did when, in the alt timeline, he remembered Penny and decided to find her.

April 7, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  179. icy

So love opens dead people up to the idea of the alternate reality. Danny boy is dead in island time, Charlie is dead. Eloise has some idea of the mechanitations of the island–Desmond is the constant. He now wants the manifest, so that he can tell the survivors something.

April 7, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  180. CRS

So if Smokey got out when the bomb exploded, the sideways happen. If not, they all continue onward. That's my guess.

April 7, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  181. johnny mack

lastlap, totally agree with you. either that or they can't comprehend it. i find it amusing though that all year people were screaming that the flash sideways were pointless and it was "filler" because the writers had no idea what to write about. it's all coming together and i have a feeling the finale will be absolutely epic. really enjoyed this episode, cant wait til the next.

April 7, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  182. born yesterday

Wonderful episode. Penny is definitely a "constant".

April 7, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  183. Melissa

I loved this episode and was glad that Desmond's destiny is to be with Penny, but the episode still has me confused.
    I was thinking that somehow the island was a pathway to hell, but now I'm wondering if it has anything to do with black holes or dark space using special relativity and Minkowski spacetime to explain the reason for the apparent time lines. OK-this could be a stretch, but how else do they get to be in the same place at the same time-if they even are.
    Either way, I'm looking forward to the next episodes and I'm glad that the "V" is gone from the lower right corner.

April 7, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  184. lastlap

I really wonder if some of the people who comment on this blog even watch the show. DES was shot by Ben Linus saving Penny the last time we saw him. Widmore commented on the fact last night.

April 7, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  185. bianconero

I actually agree with emre because I found it to be slightly odd and confusing that Desmond actually was a passanger on the Oceanic 815 flight. Shouldn't his alternate reality be different since his way to the island wasn't the same as other Losties?

Well, having Desmond in LA in the alternate reality makes me assume that the original Oceanic 815 flight was not fully booked and that he simply could get on the plane with no problem. If this wasn't the case, it would mean that Desmond was a passanger in place of somebody else (anybody, even an anonymous person irrelevant for the plot.) This should have a major impact on any reality...

What I found really cool about this episode was the relationship between Desmond and George Minkowski. Minkowski, who was the communications officer on Kahana seemed to suggest to Desmond that he "knows". Anybody picked on that or was I just trying to see it? He constantly repeated to let him know if Desmond needed anything, as if to let him know that he knows about the two realities. It would make sense, right? If Desmond has the "gift", Minkowski should, too. He was the first person to be killed by the time travel on the Kahana. He warned Desmond about it. So...

April 7, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  186. big al

with regards to desmond and crashing on the island, did you catch how he was eyeing down the sail boat in widmore's office.

April 7, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  187. Rick

Charlie brother, Liam, did not overdose, in the episode, Charles states that the bass player overdose and is in the custody of the police. Also, in the episode featuring Sawyer, you can see Liam at the police office asking about Charlie.
    Also, it is strange that Liam didn't make an appearance even though he was trying to get his brother in the Sawyer episode.

April 7, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  188. taylo

If I remember correctly (putting down the bong) Desmond stopped the killing of Penny by fighting off Ben. So in that time line, she is still alive.

April 7, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  189. ron gilman

I think Flocke, smokey , Is actually contained dark energy, Watching Nova on pbs the were talking about dark energy being a strange unexplored enigma and how most of the universe is dark energy. I think the smoke monster is dark energy and if he gets loose to quote the show " everything will cease to exist". The electrmoagnetic field contains him. Kinda like anti-matter destroys matter. Not sure how the whole candidates thing fits in but just a rambling thought.

April 7, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  190. Claire

rl cook – Penny wasn't killed by Ben. Ben went to the docks, shot Desmond, hitting him in the arm/shoulder area I think (regardless, it wasn't fatal) and as Ben was aiming at Penny, he saw Charlie – Des and Penny's son – and before he could even take a shot (if he were going to) Desmond tackles him and beats the crap out of him, hence why Ben was super beat up on the Ajira flight.

Penny is alive and well, and was waiting for Desmond in the hospital while he was in surgery. When Des woke up to Zoe and Widmore on the island, Widmore mentioned stealing him away from the hospital.

April 7, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  191. rl cook

Isnt Penny dead after being shot by Ben Linus in retaliation for Widemore letting his "daughter" be killed by the mercenary? Why has this not been mentioned by Des or Widmore?

April 7, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  192. B Lewis

Actually, it's easy to explain (why Desmond was in LA and not on the island). Remember that when the atomic bomb exploded and caused the alternate timeline, the island was sent to the bottom of the ocean. We see this in the first episode of this season when the plane flies over, experienced turbulance, and flies on instead of crashing. They pan down to show the island submurged under the water. So, if they island was submerged, then Desmond never would have found it in the alternate timeline.

April 7, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  193. wickedcricket

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show! I KNEW desmond was a wild card when Faraday told him "the rules" don't apply to him! WOW
    What they did when they detonated the nuke in 1977 was change their lives but NOT their destiny. They are FATED to cross paths – it's the WAY their paths cross now that has changed. Desmond knows or is beginning to learn that what might seem like dark point in one's life can be a blessing in disguise. Accept your life, bad & good for what it is. IF you try to escape the bad things, you can lose the good things too. Widmore made him unhappy in his life but without Widmore, he'd never have met Penny or had his son.
    This is a mythological lesson – NEVER second-guess the Fates.

April 7, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  194. emre

April 7, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  195. The Evil Marshall D

Foot-dragging and commericial time.

April 7, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  196. Bhakti

Amazing episode!!! Desmond Rocks...as usual he did not disappoint...now everything is starting to come together and it is beautiful. I LOVE LOST!!!

April 7, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |