April 7th, 2010

The Addams Family: Creepy, kooky and on Broadway

The Addams Family in a musical? Yes. Lurch? Uncle Fester singing? You betcha.

A musical about a family who dabbles in the dark side may initially seem improbable. But Goth is hot. And when you stack the deck, er, cast with Broadway veterans: Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth, the word "flop" scares easily.

Lane and Neuwirth have a lovely bunch of Tony awards between them, and now along with their many theater accolades, they command the stage of the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre together.

Nathan Lane embodies Gomez Addams with spot on comic timing and charm while Bebe Neuwirth lithely slinks into the role and the clothes of Morticia Addams all dry wit and dark humor. Neuwirth even throws out a few Bob Fosse moves in her dance numbers. The show - replete with well known family members Pugsley, Grandma, Uncle Fester and Lurch - centers around daughter Wednesday Addams and the "normal" boy she has fallen in love with.

Trying to get the Addams family to have "One Normal Night" is one of the numbers in the first act.

Staying true to the original Addams haunted household, the show has its own spooky trappings; like lovely dancing corpses dressed in white, and at least one song about death being just around the corner. But the show puts comedy before drama, and the macabre.

The story's timeless theme is really about relationships and how to care for them. This keeps these Addams current, along with jokes that touch upon what's going on in today's society. There's even a one liner about healthcare that's not scary at all.

Most people may remember the Addams Family from the 1960s television series shot in black and white. The creepy clan even made it to the big screen in the '90s. However, this family first came to life in print, all the way back in 1938 at the hands of American cartoonist Charles Addams who drew the morbid characters for The New Yorker Magazine. All versions that followed, animated or live, originate from his crafty drawings.

Opening night for The Addams Family musical is just a few days away on April 8. But perhaps even more exciting for the cast - a visit from the First family. Last month Michelle Obama brought daughters Malia and Sasha to a preview of the show. Of course the Secret Service had to sweep the theater first. Like I said, Goth is hot.

1. Janie

I'm so excited! Zachary James who plays LURCH is gonna be teaching this Addams Family Workshop on Saturday, Dec. 4th! I'm going with a friend! I looovvveeee this show and he's so talented!!! This boy, Logan Rowland is also gonna be there. He's the PUGSLEY understudy! and an agent!!! It's from 10:30 am – 2:30 pm.
    Tell your parents to visit http://www.AClassActNY.com to sign up! It's for kids/teens 7 – 16!
    Yeah

November 25, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sandra

I saw this in Chicago over Christmas before they moved it to New York....it is really good...well worth the money.

April 8, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Brian MacCartney

I loved the ADDAMS Family when I was a kid, nobody did it better than John Astin in the original show. Loved the suit! I wish the cast er "Break a Leg!"

April 8, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. All Together Kooky

I would LOVE to see this show – sounds awesome!!

April 8, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Matt

I don't know what show people have seen- but the one on Broadway is a wreck. Nathan Lane is as hammy as ever...and Bebe is completely under used. There are rumors of bickering between Lane and Neuwirth – which can't help the chemistry. This is sadly not this year's "The Producers" – rather, it is this year's "Young Frankenstein". See it while you can – it won't last long.

April 8, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. julie

I saw the show in NYC 2 weeks ago – it was FANTASTIC !!!! truly a must see – the sets were great – cast was awesome – I told my husband I wanted to go see it again !!!!

April 7, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rachael M

Saw the show in Chicago- amazing and touching. I have a daughter who is just starting out on her own. The themes are very topical. The cast rocks- no surprise there.

April 7, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Hillary

Saw this in Chicago, it was fabulous! Bebe and Nathan do a great job.

April 7, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Str8 Outta Tx

never seen a play at all. much less one that could be interesting. but i did take drama. 19/m/tx

April 7, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Frank Cap

Great review. Confirms that I NEED to see this show before they triple the ticket prices....

April 7, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Head Diva In Charge

I am sure this is a good show. Odd concept, but it could work.

April 7, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. patNY

I bought my tickets for this show months ago...am seeing it April 18th, and if either or both Nathan and Bebe call in sick that day...well, I don't want to be censored so I will just say, I'll be very disappointed.

April 7, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jill

Bebe Neuwirth is truely awesome!!

April 7, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dorothy granet

I absolutely adore Nathan Lane. If he's in it, it can't be bad. I saw him in NY a couple of years ago having breakfast, but if I went up to him to say hello, I would have embarassed my family, so I just stared at him.
    Silly me, I should have gone up to him, and told him how much I liked him. I think he would have liked to hear that.

April 7, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. R

Wednesday looks a little long in the tooth. And I loved the movies with Raul Julia and Angelica Huston.

April 7, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |