April 7th, 2010

Soundgarden, Green Day and Lady Gaga headline Lollapalooza 2010

It’s official: Lollapalooza 2010 will be headlined by Arcade Fire, Soundgarden, Green Day, Phoenix, The Strokes and Lady Gaga.

It's been 16 years since the last time Green Day played Lollapalooza, according to the press release, and 12 years for Soundgarden, who performed twice before at the Chicago music fest, in 1992 as well as 1996.

And although Lady Gaga seemed to hit her international stardom stride fairly recently, she's also already taken the stage, having performed once before back in 2007.

Erykah Badu – currently making headlines for stripping down in her latest music video – is also scheduled to perform, although the press release doesn’t clarify whether or not statement-making nudity will be involved. Also lined up: Social Distortion; MGMT; The National; Spoon; Grizzly Bear; Devo and Cypress Hill.

To check out the full list or buy tickets - or to play around with the custom lineup tool - go to 2010.lollapalooza.com.

Filed under: Green Day • Lady Gaga • Music

1. Mase

Why would anyone expect to see "knuckle dragging dude rock" like Godsmack, Disturbed or Metallica at a festival like this? It is an "alternative" festival and always has been. This festival is not all about having bands YOU have heard of. It's about expose "NEW" bands that you WILL hear of.

April 11, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. SAM

I'm more shocked that Lady Gaga wants to do this crap, popular as she is.

April 10, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sinistermalicious

Because Lady GaGa puts on a damn good show.

April 10, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff

I hear lady gag gag likes to gobble the goop.

April 10, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. tambam

they brought in Lady GaGa to sell tickets....ticket sales have been down because there r no good alternative bands right now, or at least not any that will sell tickets. go to another stage and watch someone else. they r doing it because Lady GaGa will sell tickets for this crappy line up!

April 10, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. chris frierson CRI

If you want a good fest go to JAZZfest in new orleans. Lets just say youll get bye with a little help from your friends!

April 9, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. owned

Soundgarden?? When did these music festivals turn into geriatric parties?

April 9, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jim d

sharug April 7th, 2010 7:18 pm ET

I like Soundgarden, GreenDay and Lady Gaga. But, how 'bout some more well known rock bands? Where's Godsmack, Metallica, Disturbed, RHCP, Janes Addiction? (ok,I know, rock/alternative) Does anyone remember Mother Lovebone? sigh, yes, guess I'm old.

RHCP, are you aerious? you do know they suck *ss don't you????

April 9, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jim d

jackl April 7th, 2010 4:01 pm ET

There all dead, Jimmy Jim, Janis Keth Kurt and Brian.........

i hope you aren't talking @ kurt cobain like his death was some great loss for music. he was a talentless hack. i think he's related to billy squire..... yes he was THAT bad.

April 9, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jerry

Wish I could make it out there to see Green Day and Lady Gaga

April 9, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rem

Green Day= Best live act of the 21st century. That's why they sold out Wembley

April 9, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. appleb

Bring back the Horde Festival!

April 9, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Str8 Outta Tx

@the dude
    i actually have a lot to say to you. the only reasons i'm not is because im secure enough with myself that i dont feel the need to make a scene and defend myself against peon's like you. besides if i said all i want to say, i doubt it would show up on the screen.

but i didnt ask what you thought, i just said what was on my mind. if you dont like that, dont read it , and find something else to do with your obviously abundant time.

April 9, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jon

...about waiting to see Clapton and Co.....Saw him and Steve Winwood few months ago, absolutely AMAZING. Chicago/Earth, Wind and Fire were EPIC, can't wait for Chicago/Doobie Brothers. However, the single greatest show I've seen this year (and possibly ever) was STEELY DAN, Old stuff IS the best stuff. There's a reason some bands can still release albums and tour FORTY YEARS after forming. Good luck finding any of these acts years from now. Sure, Green Day, and to an extent, AFI (if you were fortunate enough to see 'em YEARS ago...good stuff. Some of my favorite EPs) have been around a while..........but we'll see how "lasting" they truly are.

April 9, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tony

I agree with tom,,,but when did Green Day have a spin called
    " American Iodiot" ..how bout " American Speller"

and Jack Meoff just seems to have "b*lls" on his mind(less)

April 9, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  16. lazywriter

This line-up is junk. I wouldn't waste my money either. Shows and festivals are going down hill. Finding a show worth going to is rare and expensive. I hope not but I think my concert attendance ended last year with Nine Inch Nails and Janes Addiction...it was historic.

April 8, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Loren Carr

Green Day used to be cool, then they turned terrible, their last really good album was Warning, all downhill from there. Lady Ga Ga at a Lalapalooza, what the heck? The only good band I've seen listed so far is Soundgarden, I wouldn't go to this even if it were free and I was rich and lived within ten miles of where it's being held! What a joke!

April 8, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Tbean

Oh well then stay out of the south a few years back we had Langerado until they sold out but we have our Wanee Festival, Bear Creek Festival, Bonnaroo, Magnolia Festival...... SoundGarden will always rock Chris Cornell is beautiful.

April 8, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  19. puppy0134

dear laughing at you how dare you defile the great gods of romantic goth rock!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope they show up at your frontdoor and....
    nevermind the world will never understand AFI

April 8, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dom

This years line up is hella weak.
    Lolla is supposed to be one of the best festivals in the US, not this year. What a joke, Where did all the real music go?

April 8, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Troyzkoi

Sounds like Lilith fair to me.

April 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Laughing at you

AFI = fail

(Save your money)

April 8, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jamaaldeen Tacoma

Soundgarden Rocks. They rocked back in the day, they rock now, and they will always rock harder than anything that is "current" because Current music is just freaking LAME. Whoever was asking what happened to Mother Love Bone, Andrew Wood OD'd and died. That was a very, very long time ago, and several members went on to form Pearl Jam. You may have heard of them. lol

April 8, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jeema

"Hey about some bands with b*lls??"

yea like... i dunno... maybe SOUND F***IN' GARDEN?

April 8, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  25. Niki

Lollapalooza was so much fun when I went... sometime back in the 90's, I had a blast, I didn't know many of the bands, and some bands I knew and didn't like, but I still had a blast. There was so much stuff going on, lots of great people to meet, the whole experience was awesome. I would love to go again!!!

April 8, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  26. Sully in Alabama

Soundgarden is not washed up as some have said in this thread. They are legendary; they just haven't played together in a long time. Green Day is a love 'em or hate 'em type of band, but they do put on one heck of a live show – one of the best on stage bands out there. As long as it's rock 'n roll, then I'm pretty satisfied.

April 8, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  27. HELLO WORLD

When was Lollapalooza ever not a pop festival? They have always played popular music, that is why it is such a large and well known festival. They appear to still be playing popular music so I don't know why all you people are bashing them.

If you don't like it go to Burning Man, or Nelson's Ledges, or the Universal Church of Love and Music, or Metalfest, or some of the festivals in Brazil or Europe.

April 8, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  28. someone

SLAYER

April 8, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  29. Chris

Dating myself, I went in '92 and '93. I think a ticket was $20 or $30 back then. A lot better bands then, but that's always a matter of personal opinion. Nothing like seeing RHCP, Pearl Jam, or Alice in Chains in their prime... Hate I missed Jane's in '91.

April 8, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  30. BERT3R

TOOL.

April 8, 2010 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  31. BERT3R

one word... TOOL ...

April 8, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  32. Robin

Ohhhhh Lady Gaga!

Flavor of The Month at Lollapizzooopahooplah!

Big friggin' deal....

April 8, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  33. Johnny

all of these bands suck balls. Most bands nowadays are fronted by whiners like Muse and Kings of Leon. They sound like 12 year old prepubescent boys.

Even Courtney Love's album can out-rock any of these crybabies any day.

April 8, 2010 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  34. M.R. in L.A.

I've already seen Soundgarden and Green Day at Lollapalooza...in '92 and '94 respectively. Wasn't it supposed to be a 'new' music festival?

April 8, 2010 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  35. kfrolf

NO MODEST MOUSE, pretty weak...at least there is no Kings of Leon i mean KINGS OF SELLOUTS

April 8, 2010 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  36. Andrew

I love how everyone goes after one artist and blames them for making this festival bad. You don't have to see Lady Gaga, thats why they have another headliner to see that night! Festivals are also a business and need to sell tickets. They won't have any problems selling out tickets again this year. Also you should go to festival to discover new bands and enjoy music. If your only interested in the headliners, then wait until they are on tour.

April 8, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  37. jen943

So disgusted by the choice of Lady Gag-me! She is a freaking pop fusion star not an alternative act! So happy I can't afford to go this year!

April 8, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  38. M1a65

I'll be going to see Sound Garden and leaving shortly there after... What a bunch of nothing bands playing with them. I do agree there were far better pairings they could have added.

April 7, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. gene

WORST. LINEUP. EVER.

Basically I have to pay $250 to see Gogol Bordello and Jimmy CLiff and Chromeo. Lame.

April 7, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  40. JK

If I recall correctly, Perry Farrell originally started this partly to create diverse lineups and to give bands exposure, giving bands considered "alternative" at the time or underground a good shot to be heard. Although I haven't been in quite a few years, always felt like it was still staying pretty close to his vision with recent lineups.

This one to stray pretty far away from that actually, although I'm sure Perry is no longer involved anyway...quite different from how Lollapalooza has always been as far as bands....

April 7, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Kahle

Means nothing but throwing it out there anyway...Soundgarden and Green Day...sweet...Lady Gaga...more like lady gag me...

April 7, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Erm..

Colin – who cares what Gaga dresses like? Please retract your complimentary statement, else I and others like me may well vomit in our disdain.

Soundgarden @ Lolla '94 - YESSS!

Arcade Fire, Phoenix, Deer Tick - do not judge until you've actually heard them. Sweeping "all these bands suck" statements are just plain silly.

April 7, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  43. mushymushroom

For me what ruined the line up is Gaga... I love Soundgarden, Greenday and most especially The Strokes...! I heart Julian...! Anyway, I would love to see in that event artists like Weezer, Paramore, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay and a jam session with Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and Robert Plant...that could be awesome...! I'm 23 so I'm really stoked in seeing Clapton and Co. together, they are living legends! Just saying... :)

April 7, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  44. laurel

What a funny lineup – some real throwbacks sprinkled with a bit of pop. If you are interested, check out a piece we wrote today on the 6 headliners and the charities they support – and all the great charity work Lollapalooza is doing too, it's a pretty entertaining piece: http://www.takepart.com/news/2010/04/07/rock-out-with-your-cause-out. Lollapalooza is about more than just music.

April 7, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  45. sharug

April 7, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Colin

The line up is great. Green Day, Soundgarden (glad they're back together) and yes, even and maybe even especially Lady GaGa. I first saw her at the MTV Music (or Video?) Awards. She is not just a singer or musician or whatever, not that there'd be anything wrong with that if she were. It just so happens though, that she is something different and perhaps more. She is a presence and a performer. She is an artist. Art is not always and does not always have to be just about the music. The way she dressed was just plain ballsy.

April 7, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Frank

To call this talent is a major stretch. None of them are any good, but that's the way it is these days. All of these "acts" are simply shock value & performance antics. No thought, little good music, laughable lyrics. It could only be worse by incuding rap. I'd rather get a root canal than be forced to listen to any of it. Only the simple minded and ignorant would attend.

April 7, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Eric

Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, The Strokes, Arcade Fire, MGMT, Matt and Kim and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes would be worth it. Alot of these bands are getting ready to take off!

April 7, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  49. IRS agent

Lady Gaga? For reals?

April 7, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  50. The Dude

Str8 Outta TX, going off your comments, your name is a little misleading, there is nothing straight about you......as for this line up, really really bad. I wouldnt go there for FREE!!!

April 7, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Pat

Jack and Jill went up a hill to see this thing called Lollapalooza.

April 7, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Str8 Outta Tx

a lot of my boys dont think gaga is as appealing as i do, but i would do anything to her er... for her. lol

April 7, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Str8 Outta Tx

btw 19/m/tx

April 7, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Str8 Outta Tx

oh my god... i seriously think this chick (gaga)did some type of voodoo on me. i usually do the hip hop/r&b scene, but i like her music. this woman is beautiful to me. it's like i'm damn near obsessed. bad romance hypnotized me or something. lol:)

April 7, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Kevin

Matt Cameron will be drumming – he got the green light from Pearl Jam (he's still going to tour/record with them)

April 7, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Bree

Here's how bad this lineup is – I'm HAPPY that I will be taking a state bar exam instead of going to Lolla 2010.

April 7, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  57. jackl

There all dead, Jimmy Jim, Janis Keth Kurt and Brian.........

April 7, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Head Diva In Charge

I remember this concert from when I was in High School (to long ago). Glad it's still going.....wonder what the age group is like.....

April 7, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Jeremy

Who's going to be drumming for Soundgarden?

April 7, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Bri

This lineup is WEAK, with the exception of sound garden. Was hoping that Pearl Jam was going to be playing so we could get some Temple of the Dog. But instead we got Lady Gaga and Green Day- HORRIBLE! I guess Lollapalooza is all about commercialized bulls**t bands... my search for good festivals continues

April 7, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  61. amber

lady gaga just ruined it.

April 7, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Brandon

Look into Arcade Fire because they are probably one of the best live bands around today. They certainly put on one of the best shows that I have ever seen and they are a cut above most bands that are played on the radio.

April 7, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Steven from Taos

Can't say I'm all that impressed with the line up this time out though I am a fan of Soundgarden. As for complaints about coporatism and $$$$ being the motivating factor ...... well DUH !!!! One forgets that it's even about money when you go see your local faves at a local bar, pay a 5 to 10 dollar cover, buy lousy, watered down drinks and bask in the hipness of the glow of corporate sponsored neon alcohol sings all over the walls. Striking a balance between art and commerce is difficult at best. As for festivals being a dying breed, I think I heard my parents say something along those lines when they were talking about something called Altamont that they went to.

April 7, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Me

You lost me at Green Day and Lady GaGa.

April 7, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Hey Now

The headliners are bad but Social D, The National, Slightly Stoopid, Grizzly Bear, AFI, and Deer Tick??? I'd go just for those bands alone.

April 7, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Jim

Gaga, Badu – ruining it for everyone else, even with the few decent groups there, all credibility is lost because of these acts

April 7, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  67. tom

even lollapalooza has become a corporate event whereas money is the motivating factor. Why do you think that Soundgarden has re-grouped? Why is everybody trying to sell Lady GaGa? Even Green Day did nobody really miss after their American Iodiot Sellout. Festivals are simply boring and most likely a dying breed nowadays. They should stop selling alcohol there – let's see how many people will show up then...

April 7, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Music Fan

This line up is horrible this year. Really bad

April 7, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Jack Meoff

Terrible lineup. Bunch of hasbeens and never wasses! Hey about some bands with b*lls??

April 7, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  70. music fan

I remember that guy, he opened up for Asia last year. I also saw him at the beginning of a DVD I bought, he was singing a song about the soldiers, or something like that. Anyone else out there know this guy?

April 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Mark

I saw this musician awhile back called Devon Scott Dicker. This guy had some of the best songs I've ever heard! How come he is not playing the Lollapalooza festival this year?

April 7, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |