April 7th, 2010

NBC launches Kabletown.com

Move over Comcast, there’s a new provider in town - well, kind of.

Kabletown, the Pennsylvania based company that bought NBC from Jack Donaghy’s (Alec Baldwin) beloved General Electric on “30 Rock,” is no longer just a hilarious storyline.

It’s a hilarious web site, too.

NBC has launched Kabletown.com, an in-universe site for Kabletown, which is spelled with a “K” “because K stands for the "Kindness we show our customers, the Keen interest we take in their needs and because Cabletown with a C was already the name of a store that sold cable knit sweaters and legal said we had to spell it with a K.”

Even Liz Lemon’s (Tina Fey) parents are Kabletown subscribers, “down in Pennsylvania.”

And thanks to Kabletown, the pioneer of his and hers cable, women can come home after “a long day at work, or at the grocery store or lunching with other real housewives” and tune in to an attractive man telling her exactly what she wants to hear, for the low price of $12.99.

Take your pick: “I’m listening, patiently,” “How was your day?” or, maybe, “She’s clearly jealous of you” will do the trick.

And for the men - sit back and enjoy titles such as “The Hind Side” or “The Pert Knockers.”

Thank you, NBC.

Post by:
Filed under: Alec Baldwin • television

1. surabaya cctv

Good info, a lot of thanks to the author. It can be incomprehensible to me now, but in common, the usefulness and significance is overwhelming. Thanks again and great luck! cctv camera di surabaya

June 22, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. opportunity

naturally like your web-site however you need to test the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to inform the truth on the other hand I will surely come again again.

April 19, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kate

hoi polloi, I had to correct that, or risk ridicule.

April 9, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kate

Jon – if you don't think "30 Rock" is funny, what IS humorous to you? Let me guess, "Family Guy" or maybe "All in the Family reruns. True, the "30 Rock" fan base could and should be larger, but keep in mind most shows have to pander to the hoi palloi to stay afloat.

Josh – Did you miss the first line of the article? "Move over Comcast, there’s a new provider in town." I think CNN thinks that folks who read this site, like, um, oh my God! read the news occasionally. We don't need the whole backstory, we get it.

April 9, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. LIZ ROSE

Of course 30 Rock is spoofing the merger. there is a lot to spoof. check out http://www.freepress.net/comcast for more.

April 9, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Josh

CNN, you fail to mention that the real NBC is being bought out by Comcast (pending approval). Perhaps your lead-in was alluding to this, but it would have been helpful... clearly the Kabletown logo is a spoof on the Comcast one and the site/storyline is a jab at Comcast before the acquisition goes through.

April 8, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. vet93

Hey, TV Addict!

Your DVR clock is set by the provider of your video service, whether cable or satellite. The networks have their own individual clocks and are not necessarily synchronized with any video service provider.

Your DVR very probably has a selection to start the recording early and end later than the advertised time for network programming.

Would you like some cheese to go with your whine?

April 7, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tina

These comments are hilarious – are they fake too?

April 7, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Andrew

David, you are a moron

April 7, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. David

They do it SPECIFICALLY to mess with your DVR. They want you watching live, so they can get the ad revenue.

April 7, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TV Addict

I HATE NBC !!!

Why cant they time their programs to end on the hour ?!?!?!

But Noooooo ...

they screw up my DVR recordings so i miss the end of their shows

DUMB !

April 7, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mitch

"...it's not a matter of me "being angry", as I'm not that pathetic and shallow....I guess I can't wrap my mind around the attraction of this particular format/type of comedy."

or maybe you were just born without a sense of humor. Please dont tell me it has to do with some over blown sense of duty to your chosen political party. cause dude trust me, its just not worth it.

April 7, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Fred L. Fraud

Jon – You don't think 30 Rock is funny. That's fine. It's art you know. As always art is in the eye of the beholder (big word I know, look it up).

30 Rock is funny (IMHO).

April 7, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jon

How old do you think I am? Shocker, I'm a month away from 30...not the age you expected? Plus, I will give you the fact that comedies aren't designed to "make you think". Instead of "Now what?", how about "Why?" I still stick by my statement of 30 Rock not being a comedy since it, well, just isn't funny. Does it have it's moments? Sure. Not quite part of the rabid fan base that exists, which was my main point. I suppose THAT is what confuses me about the show...it's not a matter of me "being angry", as I'm not that pathetic and shallow....I guess I can't wrap my mind around the attraction of this particular format/type of comedy. Some of the best movies of all time, in my opinion, are comedies......same with TV shows. It's just this one I'm not too sure where it gets it's massive appeal. However, I will give it another go.

April 7, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Autumn-Bomb

Settle down, disproportianately-angry-Jon. PBS still offers Masterpiece Theater for your age bracket.

April 7, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ejluther

If you're asking, "OK, now what?", after watching any sitcom (or its tangential websites), then I think you've missed the general point about sitcoms...

April 7, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jon

It's official - not a single thing about 30 Rock, real OR fake, is anything approaching funny. Fake company website = good idea? Sure, if it hadn't already been done numerous times before. Now it just pollutes the net with more one-off crap that serves as a good gimmick, but still leaves you asking "OK, now what?" Kinda like all of NBC's programming, for that matter.

April 7, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |