April 6th, 2010

Will 'American Idol' judges be kind to the Top 9?

I can't imagine more of an opportunity to be snarky than tonight's Lennon-McCartney songbook theme.

Last week's ousted contestant, Didi Benami, reportedly has been slamming the judges for their inconsistent critiques, and I have to say that I am with her on that. Be original, but don't make  it too much your own, etc.

The show just started, and Ryan Seacrest is in the control room. This whole backstage thing is cool, but could get old real quick.

Could the judges be dressed any crazier?

Here we go!

1. Keith

It's obvious Tim Urban should go, but it's just as obvious he won't. So that leaves Andrew who has a vocal range about the width of my pinky nail but unfortunately has the cuteness of a frog.

Casey was awesome, love his acoustic playing. He's a cool dude.

Lee was horrendous, I couldn't believe the judges praising that train wreck.

Regardless of Bowersox or Big Mike's talent or the recent resurgence of Katie, the only one with the "it" factor is Siobahn.

Her voice is from heaven and she's got the looks to match. Kind of like an American Kate Bush in the making.

April 7, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Just A Thought

Mamasox...rockin again! Get used to her America, she's here till the end!

April 7, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. Delia Garza

Simon – please don't leave....but if you must, please get rid of KARA first. I am so tired of her stupid, idiotic comments. She says anything (whatever) when she has truly nothing to say! "you are too young to sing that song". Its about their talent KARA, not their age! I guess none of them will be singing any Nat King Cole songs, or Connie Francis, or Frank Sinatra, or Elton John, or Stevie Wonder, etc. because according to you KARA, they're too young to sing any of these songs! Let them sing KARA!!!Please Simon, HELP!

April 7, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. show dog mom

Crystal sucks!

April 7, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. celadog

I have thought Tim is good and I thought he did well tonight.

I personally thought Crystal seems distracted with whatever she is playing,she should try no instrument

April 6, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Idol Fan

With all due respect, if you look at her comments and listen to what she says... she's really not slamming them. She's just asking the judges to be more consistent in their critiques, and provide more constructive feedback rather than try and demoralize people in front of millions. And she was prompted with the question of what would you ask them. Media has then been taking her response for her 'slamming' them.

Furthermore, I don't think she blames them necessarily for her leaving, as sometimes it seems that they actually do provide good feedback and can help the performers. At the same time, they do seem to box people in and sometimes give very conflicting information. For people who are asked to do something different, but not too different, this can be hard to decipher.

April 6, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. maz

type o. couldnt grasp what they were saying.

April 6, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. maz

she shouldnt slam the judges its not their fault is it that shes out, its hers. the other contestants are doing well as have countless contestants who sent on to have great careers over the years thanks to the judges steering them through the contest. why is this woman blaming everyone and everything instead of traking responsibility for a poor performance, poor song choice and poor, divaesque delivery? its totally arrogant when its only because she could grasp what they were saying.they dont need a telling off from this high & mighty madam as shes turning out to be.its disgusting.

April 6, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Just A Thought

i got this from idolbloglive.com:

Aaron Kelly – Long and Winding Road
    Katie Stevens – Let it Be
    Andrew Garcia – Can’t Buy Me Love
    Mike Lynche – Eleanor Rigby
    Crystal Bowersox – Come Together
    Tim Urban – All My Loving
    Casey James – Jealous Guy
    Siobhan – Across the Universe
    Lee Dewyze – Hey Jude

April 6, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sency

its not fun when SImon is nice, its better when he is rude!

April 6, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Just A Thought

I'd rather have no mentor, than Adam Lambert! Can't believe AI is bringing back a runner up aka loser to be a mentor! If people were upset about Miley Cirus, they ought to be really PO'd about this! Not a #1 to his name! Barely even a year after his appearance on AI and a mentor – seriously! Should have a good spot next to Clay Aiken though on broadway!

April 6, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. willyboy

Very nice version of Let it Be! Go Katie!!!!

April 6, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. willyboy

Got to say Aaron didn't wow me at all- very bland–

April 6, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. protogere

I saw that! It'd be pretty cool to see him pop in for tomorrow night. For being almost 68, he was amazingly full of energy and still twisted his songs enough to present them in a new way.
    I hope tonight we see some performances like David Cook did with Daytripper a few years ago, just that small little change in the arrangement can bring a newness to so many of their classics.
    This could be a nightmare or really good – I don't see a lot of grey area open.

April 6, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. willyboy

he did wish the nine good luck–

April 6, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. protogere

I am going to be pretty biased tonight as I spent Saturday night rocking at the Paul McCartney concert in Miami! I know Paul is in the states, I think after Saturday in Miami he was doing 2 shows at the Hollywood Bowl – so mayhaps he'll pop up!

April 6, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |