April 6th, 2010

The Top 9 take to the stage with some classics

9:51 p.m. - OK, MamaSox is even cooler in my book for recognizing the Lee Dewyze/Danny Gokey resemblance!

The contestants tease Lee and Andrew for their closeness. I think it's cute. Lee needs to up the confidence even more and stop thinking he sucks so bad. I mean, yeah, this season pretty much sucks, but he shouldn't carry all of the responsibility on his shoulders.

His "Hey Jude" is accompanied by a bagpipe? Seriously?!?!?

Was he trying to top MamaSox with the strange duet? Ellen cracked me up when she mentioned the "guy who got separated from his parade." LOL!

Kara calls him hot. Simon keeps it real and calls it out for the utter foolishness that was the bagpipe. I think we have just seen the extent of Lee's risk-taking.

9:37 p.m. - Sibohan Magnus gets called out for being "weird."

I so agree.

Her version of "Across the Universe" starts out rough for me. She looks great but sounds nasally to me. Overall, I was bored. Folks keep wanting her to be the female version of Adam Lambert this season and to me, she couldn't even carry his guy liner.

At least she let go of the screech this time around. The judges are still loving her, though.

She gets a little teary eyed talking about her sister, but I loved the look on Simon's face while she was talking. I am gonna miss him so much!

9:25 p.m. - That couple from "Bones" is in the audience next to Lacey Brown.

Now that we have that out of the way, Casey Jones sings "Jealous Guy," and dude does have some beautiful hair. He goes for the curly tendrils tonight, and I am jealous of that 'do!

I like him and the acoustic guitar. There is something about Casey that goes beyond the cuteness factor. He definitely has talent, though I am not sure what an album from him would be like.

It was a strong performance from him.

9:12 p.m. – That dude Ernie who played with MamaSox is going to have his phone ringing off the hook now.

Me thinks everyone on "Idol" has a crush on Tim Urban. How could you not? He's freakin' adorable!

"All My Loving" actually turns out to be a good song choice for him. Light, fun, and catchy.

But let's be real here: At this point, that kid could sing the ABCs and he would still get votes. My mother groans that "Tim needs to go home," but he seems almost invincible.

His hair supposedly looks more like a Beatles  'do this week, but to me it just looks like it does every week. Simon even praises him for his performance this week.

Clearly, the "deer caught in the headlights" style of performance works for him.

9 p.m. – Mike lifted someone up in the air again. I am so over that.

Crystal Bowersox's hometown is so proud of her, and they should be. She is kicking butt this season.

MamaSox's little boy is a cutie. I think it's cool that she and Lee Dewyze stood next to each other during the Chicago tryouts. That's a great story to retell when they are the final two standing.

Wow, did I just prophesize?

Her "Come Together" sounded great, even with her having a cold. I'm sick to death of her blowing everyone away each week. If this chick released an album tomorrow, I would buy it. I can't say that about anyone else on the show.

I love, love, love me some MamaSox.

8:46 p.m. - I am glad that Andrew is having fun, but dude you need to focus on trying to run.

"Big" Mike Lynche seems like a great guy though I am not sure how I feel about his singing family being called the "Lynche Mob."

His version of "Eleanor Rigby" is classic Mike at this point. Say what you will about this dude's singing, but he knows how to work a performance. He's a big dude, with a big personality and I suspect a big ego to match.

But when he takes to the stage, he's going to do him regardless. Like Crystal Bowersox, he knows who he is as an artist and he stays in his lane.

Work it out Boo.

P.S. Way to work in mad shout outs to "Glee," a show I heart so much!

8:35 p.m. - Does everyone get a hug after their performance? I guess so.

Andrew Garcia is cool, but I really need him to step up his game. We all had such high expectations, and he has not done his best. His hair is looking crazy tall tonight.

His version of  "Can't Buy Me Love" was supposed to be rousing, I am guessing, and yet it came off as weird to me. I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to be swing dancing or what, but the arrangement was not at all what I expected.

I agree with Kara that I wanted to love it. I really did.

8:23 p.m. – Wow. That backstage with Aaron was painful. He said he still feels confident, but he looks like he is about to cry.

Next up is Katie Stevens, and we learn that she has been getting lots of prom date requests and likes to do the "Single Ladies" dance. That is soooooo 2008.

She sings "Let It Be," and I am loving her! She looks great, and she sounds awesome. She's done a version that is more R&B- and gospel-tinged. Well done, young Katie!

8:11 p.m. – They call Aaron "Yoda?" That's kind of funny.

I like having the contestants talk about him. He's singing "The Long and Winding Road" which I heart so much.

Is it me, or does it sound like young Aaron's voice is changing? It seems a little bit more gravelly. I have the pleasure of watching with my parents who are visiting for the week (that's a whole other blog), and my mom is crushing on Aaron.

She "liked the way he made the song his own." Sorry Mom, but it didn't thrill me. I agree with the judges that it was kind of slow and boring. He tried to stay faithful to the original, and it seemed very safe.

I like that he tried to answer Kara back, and she had to tell him "Sweetie, use the microphone." Simon is back to the "old-fashioned" remark, and that got a huge "boo" from someone in the audience.

8:05 p.m. – Awwwwww.

I was hoping that Paul McCartney would mentor this week, but at least we had a video of him wishing the contestants well.

Aaron Kelly will be up first. Can't wait.

1. Urbanhater

HOW Tim Urban remains show after show while other more talents contestants are voted off, I am completely dumbfounded. The fact that this no-talent teeny-bopper Urban has made it anywhere on Idol just goes to show that the majority of voters are themselves teeny-boppers who have absolutely NO idea what true musical talent is all about. What's worse is that Urban is exactly the type of (no) talent that will be immediately forgotten in three years in the dreaded case that he wins. You think some other past Idol winners have disappeared quickly, just wait to see how fast Urban falls into a black hole in the infortunate case that he (gulp) wins. IT'S A SINGING CONTEST...NOT A POPULARITY CONTEST, PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. deb

My predictions:

Winner- Crystal
    1st Runner-up- Casey
    2nd Runner-up- Lee

April 8, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dan

"Big Mike" just got a rude awakening. Good for him; the arrogance is a little tough to take. Dial it back a bit dude. Other than Crystal, no one is a likely lock. And she could drop it too however unlikely.

April 7, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. getttes

Lee and Casey best ones for the night!!!!!! tim mike and andrew were top three for the worst, with tim being Horrrrriiibbbllle. Its really sad how i begin to think of other ones who would be leaving cause i know tim wont leave due to all the girls thinking hes 'adorable'... wake up american this isnt vote for the cutest one its singing!!!!

April 7, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nessa99

So i thought last night alot of people stepped it up! i was impressed!

Katie- She did AWESOME! i wanted her to be voted off the whole season up until now.. i have never thought she did so well. when she sang soft and hit the high notes i was "wowed"

Andrew- He has been my favorite so i was a little bummed about his performance last night.. his voice sounded great, but i didnt like the arrangement. If the band would have left, and it was just him and his guitar, it would have been perfect! (But i get that he has to change it up, so it wasnt bad!) he might be in the bottom 3 though!

Crystal- I havent been a big fan, but i really liked her last night.. i was like- wow, shes pretty good! I didnt vote for her though, because i know everyone and their mother will be lol.

Tim- Wow. He did much better this week! i wanted him to be voted off soon, but now i kinda like him! his vocals were great! good job dude!

Lee- Umm.. it wasnt his best, and that whole thing with the bagpipe guy was hilarious.. ellen cracked me up with her comments lol. he could have done better, but i LOVE how they showed his relationship with Andrew! theyre both my favorites so i was happy to see that!

Siobhan- What the heck was that? um. it was all bizzare.. dont even know how to comment on that..

Aaron- hope hes in the bottom 3 tonight, hes boring every week.. good voice but isint the best..

Mike- ugh. SUPER boring performance! i have never been a big fan, but i think they said it right about the musicals. i wouldnt be sad at all if he got voted off tonight..

Casey- hes okay, great vocals, but he isint the best i dont think.. not sure about him yet.. honestly i have forgotten all of his other performances prior to this week..

bottom three i hope is: Aaron, Mike and Siohban! but i know thats not gonna happen lol

April 7, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Just A Thought

@ michelle – songs being made current is what the judges are saying. It's irrelavant how old the song is, the job of the singer is to make the song current or "thier own".

@KarenB central Florida – Adam Lambert would not even make the top 24 if he was trying out this year! His music, voice, and everything about him has gone down the wrong road. It's all about him flaunting his 'lifestyle choice' and not the music. AL has done nothing since AI, and never will! His appearance is nothing but a hope that it will offer some sales increase to an upcoming album, and he will need it!

April 7, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Keisha

The only reason everyone is sooooooo loving Crystal is because most of the other singers suck extremly bad.. But to me she is pitching most of the time too and not all that.. If it was some more stronger singers to compete with her she wouldn't be on the show that long.. So of course she is getting all the high praise.. Last week she suckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkked really bad and this week wasn't that great either. Shiobhan has the better voice but they keep trying to stop her from being who she is yet praise crystal for her being original... Well they always talking about her screeching but she is really signing and most people couldn't carry that note if they tried... Love Mike and Casey too...

April 7, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. paige19

BOWERSOX ROX!

April 7, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. fanofcasey

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people like Siobhan...she can't sing, she's weird and I HATE when she screams and they call it talent! Also, Crystal is okay but she sounds the same week after week. Lee is usually good but he had a rough night last night! I really liked Didi and am sad she's gone. But I feel like she'll make it some how outside of AI. The only one I can truly hear on the radio is Casey. He has a huge range and has had one good performance after another. Stage freight is lessening and he's heating up! Watch out!! :)

April 7, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mizdona

My thoughts on last nights performances put Aaron in as weak....I thought it needed more personality. Michael is still my favorite because he is so authentic and real. Loved Casey's performance last night because it showed his heart. One of my strongest value is being authentic.....if someone is authentic, they get my vote. Love Seobahn for that reason. Crystal was awesome and will probably end up in the finals.....not thrilled with Andrew. Lee needs to display for confidence and less fear....he has an amazing voice. Who will go home?....it will be a tough call!

April 7, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JB

Siobhan did sound very nasal during the verses. Interestingly enough, there seemed to be a correlation between the quality of her voice and the size of her mouth as she sung (rewatch it people). She sounded best when her mouth was open the widest.
    Both Lee and Tim struggled to find the right key at the start of the performances.
    I always enjoy watching Casey and Crystal, not really because I love the timbre of Casey's voice (or his vibrato), but those two seem to perform effortlessly, while many of the others seem to be trying too hard.

April 7, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chris Kirkpatrick

The good: I particularly enjoyed the performances by Casey, Katie, and Crystal. They really stepped it up, sounded confident, and were current.

The bad: As odd as Siobhan is I usually get her. Her strength lies in big, powerhouse songs where she is free to let loose. The softer side of Siobhan was a bit statuesque. Most of the song sounded like elevator music in which you know someone is singing and you sort of recognize the tune but you don't really care one way or the other. I think that singing songs in her lower register makes her go a bit flat and I agree that there was a rather nasal/airy quality that didn't work for me. That said, she'll be around next week.

The bad: Andrew has been skating by with the exception of last week but last night was hokey. Living only a few miles from Moreno Valley I really wanted him to do well but he has consistently failed to deliver. this may be his night to go.

The bad: I honestly cringed when I heard what song Tim was going to do which in the end surprised me because it wasn't THAT bad. He sung all the notes in tune and it was pleasant to listent to. Unfortunately, it didn't sound all that current. It would have fit better in the 60's or 70's.

The Ugly: I am a BIG Lee fan and forsee him making the top 3 when this is all over, but his Hey Jude was an absolute train reck! He was off pitch consistently and then for no reason whatsoever he let the bagpiper upstage him. They did not add anything to the performance and I must say I loved Ellen's comment that he looked like a very lost member of a marching band. On the positive side I saw Lee try to involve the audience and his interaction with the band for the final strum on his guitar made him look comfortable. He'll be safe this week, but this was not good regardless of what the judges say.

April 7, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. murray

Lee sucked!!!!!! SEND him home. The judges way over rate him. He is flat most of the time and out of key. He has no stage presence at ALL. He just stands there. At least Tim has an entertainment factor to
    him. Most people could not wait for him to perform. It's all perception.

April 7, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SLACKinTX

Thoughts of Middle-Aged Guy.

Crystal: usually my favorite, but alittle below avg this week. She needs to watch the Bonnie Raitt comparisons. I would like to see her go more toward Patti Rothberg style.

Tim: Usually in my bottom 3. Did "fine" this week but don't think he can win; I am sure he has a young female following but he is avg voice.

Mike: Usually in middle for me; he doesn't connect with me; seems very awkward on stage. He never thrills me but he doesnt make me cringe either. He was in middle again this week.

Andrew: Always in Bottom for me. He had one moment on show with Paula's song...nothing since and needs to go. Seems like a nice guy but really hasn't the talent to compare to others left. This week as painful for me to listen to.

Aaron: Usually in middle for me too. Again, young following and probably Moms. I think he has a great future but don't think he is top level this year. He did a nice job this week too.

Casey: He is growing on me. Like his instrumental abilities and he does have a great tone to his voice. He is like a statue on stage though; seems like he plays small clubs and doesnt know what to do on the AI stage...stiff. If you close your eyes and just listen, this week was his week – #1.

Siobhan: Normally in top 3 for me. I like her weirdness. Her voice is amazing when she doesn't scream. This week was a nice change but not sure how it will go over to voters. I'd hate to see her go because of the change.

Katie: Normally in bottom 3 for me. Did a really good job on a song sung many times on Idol. I think she should be safe this week based on that performance. Maybe she can continue that tread and not drop off again next week.

Lee: Love his voice normally but this week he was really bad. He worries about leaving every week...this week he should. Although past weeks will hopefully save him.

Mentor Next: Adam? really...they can't find someone who can actually mentor this guys/gals. Carrie Underwood, if you want a past Idol or Doughtery? Rather have no mentor than Adam – jumping the shark here.

April 7, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. KarenB central Florida

Why would Paul M. waste his "expensive time and ego" on this mess. We already know (as we did last year) who is "best" ...and what they all can do...etc, etc, etc ... the phony sounding video of his lordship was plenty.
    It doesn't matter who is most talented (as history shows) – If they hold to the announced plans, this coming week mentor will be the highlight of this season anyway. (Adam Lambert)

April 7, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  16. Michelle

The judges need to temper their remarks on songs being current by realizing the beetles are "dead' and their music is 50 years old! When they wrote many of their lyrics there was still segregation in the US and women were all 'groupies' in the time of rock idols!

April 7, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  17. Judy

Not surprised DWTS has passed up Idol. Not because of me, I hate DWTS – but I predicted before the season started the Ellen replacing Paula would pull this show way down and it has!!! She has NOTHING to give – at least Paula was quirky and fun and a musician. Yikes! She needs to be voted out!!

April 7, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  18. skip

This has been the weirdest year yet, from the judges' confusing and conflicting insults to the lack of quality talent to the absolutely awful guest performers (yeah, you, Diddy and Usher...horrible!) to the skewed voting. Bottom line, I think the judges got it wrong when they selected the top 24 and got it wrong when they pulled people from that awful group night. Siobahn may have the best, pure voice but has been trashed by the judges yet absolutely drool over the mediocre talent like Casey, Dewyze, Aaron, and Tim. Man , it stinks this year.

April 7, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  19. Pat

I know I'm in the minority here but just don't get what people think is so special about Crystal. It's obvious the judges are trying to sway people to vote for her. Every song she sings sounds the same and she has ZERO personality. If she wins this will definitely be my last season watching Idol

April 7, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  20. Dave

Last two standing.... Crystal & Casey

April 7, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  21. J Go

Show Dog Mom– You are right, a lot of artists out there are definitely weird! However, being weird doesn't automatically make someone an "artist." To me, Siobhan is more WEIRD than ARTISTIC. Just my opinion.

April 7, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  22. Just A Thought

No way Siobahn is going home yet. It's actually funny how everyone says about her, dont scream dont yell, but when she goes soft and sincere everyone gives her grief! She did very good last night! Much Much better than Aaron, Andrew, and Big Mike!

April 7, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  23. mer

Bottom 3: Aaron, Tim & Andrew. I loved Casey last night. He should get off that show and into my....well, CD player.

April 7, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  24. Shasha

LISA–you ROCK–you are so much fun to read!!

April 7, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  25. Thierry

@show dog mom:
    I do agree with you about Katie's performance. She did good last night, very good!. Regarding TIM, he seemed to listen to the judges' comments and knew how to turn them into his advantages, unlike Didi who is still blaming on Simon and selling all of her sob stories with CNN...

Crystal will get her front teeth done thanks to the health care reform, so please do not insult her too much over her teeth. If Michael Jackson can have cosmetic changes, why not Crystal?

And I have to agree with Lisa and most of the viewers about Mademoiselle Siobhan, that she is weird as she tried to expose too many conflicting sides of her which will backfire on her image and her performance.

Looks like to me she is from Salem with her high school musical
    performance which gonna seal her fate to the stool and to the exit door.

April 7, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  26. Steve

Is it just me or doesn't Casey sound like Bob Segar. When "Jealous Guy" stopped, I was humming "Night Moves" in my head, "Little too tall, coulda used a few pounds."

April 7, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  27. Irene Li

Casey James. Not Jones.

April 7, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  28. show dog mom

Siobhan is beautiful and more talented talented than the rest of the pack. I could listen to her all night. Basically, the boys all suck. Tired of Tim and his Dracula fangs...so NOT cute. Andrew needs to go home tonight...he is way too hard to look at, and he's not that good.
    Crystal really stunk last night. And, she looks like a train wreck....all the time! Just because she got knocked up doesn't make her talented. She can't even speak well, and that guitar is clearly a crutch.
    Can't STAND listening to her! Let's keep someonewho has some C L A S S! Katie was fabulous this week. That girl has some pipes!!
    To JGo: Name one truly talented artist who isn't weird? Elton John? Michael Jackson? Don't go there with "weird"!

April 7, 2010 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  29. J Go

Crap, I meant Hey Jude, not Let It Be. Ahhh, not enough coffee yet.

April 7, 2010 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  30. J Go

Also, I have to admit I was borderline offended at Lee's version of Let It Be. So lame. So, so, SO lame. I think the worst part for me was during the chorus, when he cried out for the audience to "sing it with me!" Really... no one wants to sing it with YOU. You're just some kid with a guitar covering one of the most awesome songs of all time. We only want to sing it with Sir Paul, either on the radio or live in concert.

Why did the judges not call him out for being cheesy?

April 7, 2010 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  31. J Go

Let's flush this TURD of a season!

I agree with Lisa– Siobhan is WEIRD and Simon's expression while she was yapping was awesome. Seriously guys, she's not that good.

And while I love me some Adam Lambert and am personally kind of excited to see him on the show as a mentor (he should liven this lackluster bunch up a bit), I can definitely see why a lot of people don't think he has enough experience. I guess we'll find out what happens next week!

April 7, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  32. JS

You're an IDIOT RE: Siobhan Magnus. Win or lose, this girl will sell more records/cds than any other Idol participant in history... Her voice is angelic, her personality is infectious, her sincerity is awe-inspiring. Her talent transcends beyond description. She IS that good. If you don't see that- there's something wrong with you. TIM URBAN or Aaron Kelly will be gone tomorrow.

April 7, 2010 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
  33. AEvangelista

Siobhan did in fact do a lot of high school musicals. She showed a "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" take on "Across the Universe." Boring only to those who are impatient and fidgety.

April 7, 2010 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  34. danywin

ByTrade.com, a fastest growing B2B trade portal, opens before you a world of business opportunities to help you out!
    Come and get a FREE account (Won’t be free for long!) and find yourself a parade of international buyers!

April 7, 2010 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  35. Russ

This show has slid so far..

It actually lost the #1 viewership to DWTS! tells you how the ratings for the show are beginning to fall.

the talent is sub par. and I have not watch an episode since they started the final 12. They continue to butcher songs and embarass themselves on TV.

the show jumped the shark!

April 7, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  36. IronCider

The show is getting more intense now and after watching the contestants tonight, I can safely say that Simon was drugged. He gave good remarks to everyone!! What a difference. I thought I was at the Opera.
    Anyhow, enough said on that topic. I would like to say that the person who would be voted off is not who sang the worst but who does not have enough likeability. That person tonight is Andrew. I would like to suggest that Andrew, Aron and Sobahan are in the bottom three and of course Andrew get get the buck. Sooh sorry Andrew.
    Tim is very cool and plays with the intended audience so he will get his turn coming soon.
    Notice no one talks about Big Mike and he is always so sure. When it hits, it will hit him very hard.
    My favorites for the top 3 will be Lee, Crystal and Casey.

April 6, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  37. moosey

tonight was good and weird all at once...I think the biggest problem is that the judges in particular Kara are confusing the crap out of people( the hot and cold mixed message thing is not cool anymore)...I am actually beginning to believe that SImon is right all the time. He's right about Katie..i heard the country sound he was talking about and totally agree. The thing that seems to be happening this season is that the judges are all over the board and the contestants are trying to figure out how to please all of them at once. the only on that is steady and solid is Crystal and possibly Mike. the rest are still struggling to find out who they are. But definatly an odd season over all. Song choices this year are so obscure that it really is hard to relate to any of the contestants on a consistant basis.

April 6, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Kim

Aaron Kelly looks like he could be the son of Julian McMahon, the actor who plays Dr. Christian Troy on Nip/Tuck....

April 6, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  39. fanofcasey

Casey stole the show! Go Casey! He's got true talent! LOVED IT!!!!!!

April 6, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  40. you betcha

I'm about tired of Crystal singing the same genre of music; yet she gets away with it week after week. Simon has his nose tied up in her dreds and it's getting boring to watch. Crystal's idea of 'changing it up' is wearing stilletos? Puuuuhlease!

Casey ran away with the show, hands down the best performance of the night.

April 6, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  41. BB

On balance, everyone did a pretty good job. But when you have to judge Tim Urban by a lower "Tim" standard, as Randy correctly observed, it's pretty clear who should go home. Whether or not he actually heads home will have relatively little to do with his vocal. Mama Bowersox walked off with the night's trophy, I thought. Siobhan has a magical quality to her voice that can be absolutely thrilling. She and Crystal are the only two reasons I'm still watching. Casey and Big Mike, as good as they can be, aren't enough of a reason to tune in.

April 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  42. simon says

casey was good tonight.the rest not so good..i still fail to see why everyone is so hyped over crystal.........

April 6, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  43. anil

I was always a Crystal's fan but tonight, Casey was really a rock star. He left all the contestants far behind.

April 6, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Deanne Ostrowski

I think Siobahn (sp) has massive talent and should not be bashed so badly. All of these people work hard each week – put themselves out there in a very personal way and let the world into their lives. They get beat on enough by the judges – I don't think it should be done in here. People should spend less time bashing each other and more time lifting them up. Great job all of you and good luck

April 6, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  45. protogere

Just A – I think I would swap Tim with Lee, unfortunately because I usually adore Lee and have been praying for Tim to be gone since they brought him back the first time.

April 6, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Just A Thought

Yup, sticking with my bottom 3 – Katie, Tim, And Andrew

April 6, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  47. protogere

Adrian I went to Saturday's show in Miami and I agree, that was by far the best concert I've ever been to – despite the fact it fulfilled a life long wish to see him in concert, it was phenomenal. And I've seen a lot of wonderful performers in concert but nothing near to what he brought to the stage. I bawled, screamed, swooned – came home bruised and aching but oh it was so worth it.

April 6, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  48. protogere

Oh Lee, that was so pitifully rough. Wow, that was really not good. It was like some odd mix up between a southern rock and attempt at gospel – the doped up sixty year old man who sat next to me at the Paul concert this weekend sounded better. LoL I don't know what the judges heard, that wasn't great or even good. He was off key through so much of the performance and oh I just wanted it to be over and then the piper showed up – oh dear lord!

April 6, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Adrian Cronauer

protogere... I went to last Wednesday's McCartney show... it was one of the best concert I've ever been to. Hearing all that music was actually moving. Tears I tell ya!

April 6, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  50. mozart4898

Is Lee trying to sound like an out-of-tune John Mayer? Or maybe a drunk karaoke singer at the local bar? Not top couple singers of the night, not at all. What, could he not find any other song to sing tonight...I mean, there's what, a couple hundred songs by Lennon and McCartney?

Totally didn't need the bagpipes either.

Seriously, get rid of the judges. They're out to lunch.

April 6, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  51. willyboy

Lee needs to do something other than this. He's just butchering THE classic Lennon/ McCartney song. WORST performance of the night.

April 6, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Just A Thought

no way will Siobahn be bottom 3! Not even a little chance!

Katie, Tim, and Andrew – bottom 3. Not because they deserve it, but they just wont pull the votes.

April 6, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  53. protogere

I guess I am odd duck out here tonight – I felt this was just a touching performance. I always love Siobhan and this is one of my favourite Beatles' songs and she did it so beautifully. I like that she sang it so relaxed and peacefully, she didn't rush it, she just paced herself and she let it happen...and no screeching! That was so breathtaking to listen to!

April 6, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  54. willyboy

Siobahn will be in the bottom 2 or 3.

April 6, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  55. mozart4898

Siobhan's performance sounds like something you'd hear when one of the stars in the musical has their heart broken and they're singing about how they feel. Except, it was a high school musical, not a professional one. Just not really that exciting, not that well supported technically, and a couple of those higher notes when she went for them it was soooo awkward sounding – like she almost lost it, like she wasn't sure if she had them or if she needed to scream them. I dunno, not one of the best couple of the night so far for me. (Crystal, Mike...and Tim are my top 3 of the night so far).

April 6, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  56. willyboy

God! she sang so soft I almost couldn't hear her! so slow too– but she did sing it well-

April 6, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Bob

Well, Lennon just rolled over in his grave. Seriously, this whole bunch needs to be jailed because what they're doing to Lennon/McCartney is a crime!

April 6, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  58. willyboy

Totally agree mozart-

April 6, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  59. mozart4898

Can we get a new judging panel? I totally disagree with what they're saying about Casey. It was uncomfortable to listen to, I felt like I was watching a train wreck...

April 6, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  60. protogere

(I was pretty sure the theme was Lennon/McCartney not Lennon OR McCartney. And seeing that Casey picked a Lennon number I really have to wonder why so many of the others stuck with just the classic Beatles numbers instead of branching out more like Casey did.)
    Anyhow, I have always liked this Lennon song, maybe just because it was kind of like his last song you know? Casey did a really good job of giving it the feeling it deserved but the vocals just weren't very strong. I wish he would take the stage without his guitar as a crutch for once though, at least he didn't wander off into a guitar solo.

April 6, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  61. willyboy

Tim is actually better than Casey tonight. I just didn't get the song at all. But he did take a risk, and it may pay off–

April 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  62. mozart4898

Casey – ??? Is this his mulligan? Wow he needs the more powerful rock arrangements to back him up (or partially cover him up). I don't know if it's his vibrato or nerves but whichever it is, I didn't like it.

Ugh...

April 6, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  63. protogere

He didn't do as poorly as I had hoped he would – I still want Tim to be gone, I think he has slid through instead of better performers on more than one occasion. But Tim did have a very light and carefree feel to the song, which served it well.

April 6, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Just A Thought

Tim must be rubbing off on me! Thought Tim did a good job tonight. Felt very Beatlish to me, and he did it justice.

April 6, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  65. willyboy

He did it again! it's another Vegas lounge singer! It's time for timmy to go!!

April 6, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  66. mozart4898

They got it horribly wrong. Tim is NOT (!!!!!!) the worst.

And I'm a Crystal fan, just keep that in mind.

There's your dark horse top 2 or 3 candidate right there.

April 6, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  67. mushymushroom

Way to go Crystal!!!!!!!!

April 6, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  68. protogere

Crystal did a nice job, though it really wasn't nearly as good as I have come to expect from her. I think she was really just laid back and playing it safe there. Not that it wasn't good, because it was – it just wasn't 'Crystal' good.

April 6, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  69. mozart4898

Huh...that was an odd choice for Crystal. I think she could have picked a better song to really show off her vocal skill, but it's the kinda thing I could see as a change of pace or something in a concert.

And hmm...maybe she thought she might also subtly show Siobhan that she can kinda scream too? But make it fit the music...lol

April 6, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  70. willyboy

Best of the Best! GO Chrystal!!! audience loved it!

April 6, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Baduku

I thought it was funny someone said Paul Mcartnery wouldn't be caught dead on American Idol and yet while he was not there physically he did show up in a video speaking to the contestants. I know people are worried they will butcher these songs but so far it's not that bad. Show your support for you favorite idol at baduku and you could win an ipad. http://www.baduku.com/americanidol9

April 6, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  72. protogere

LoL or post a link to your own website? WTH is up with that? LoL

April 6, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  73. mushymushroom

@venison

if you're into Philstar or globe forums well maybe we know each other...haha!

yep I usually catch AI on QTV or Star world...

Can't wait for Hottie Casey!!!! :)

April 6, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  74. mozart4898

@ protogere – Yeah I didn't even mention "that other website." Lol...

April 6, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  75. protogere

Mozart I had two posts disappear too, kind of wondering what keyword I used to trigger that LoL

April 6, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  76. mozart4898

Lol my comment on Mike didn't get posted. Anyways – I did like Mike's take on that song. It was interesting – probably the best of the night so far. I wasn't sure how that'd work for him but for me, I thought it did.

April 6, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Just A Thought

I'm with Simon on Big Mike – Not impressed and dont see him making the top 3.

April 6, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  78. protogere

I've never heard Eleanor Rigby done that way, that was really sharp. I thought he really 'made it his own' if you want to use that worn out phrase. I think that really will be a classic performance for him Lisa, I agree with you there. That was really great!

April 6, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  79. willyboy

First time Big Mike has failed to impress me 100%– only a 7 out of 10.
    odd song choice-

April 6, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  80. venison (philippines)

hello mushymushroom..

do we know each other? para kasing may kakilala akong same codename mu.. hehe..

anyway, maya pa 6pm ipapalabas ito sa ti.. nakikibalita lang din ako dito.. hehe..

April 6, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Just A Thought

Andrewe was pretty good, just don't see anything above average for him. Should be safe though.

April 6, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  82. protogere

Wow, I loved Andrew's twist on that song. I don't get performing with his back to the judges, Mike did that last week and I don't know, it just seems strange. His voice seemed pretty flat in spots, but I think he gave it a new flair that you could hear on the radio today. I didn't hear it the way Simon did with the band overpowering him, maybe that's because he sat with the judges between him and the band?
    Lisa, I kept thinking Buddy Holly the whole performance, the glasses, the strange poof to his hair LoL

April 6, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  83. mushymushroom

hey venison...from the Philippines as well? :)

di ko mapanood nasa office ako kaya dito ako nakikibalita haha!

Anyway, Crystal choosing come together is making me sooooooooo stoked!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!1 :)

April 6, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Sency

the IDOL Top 9 looks solid so far tonight http://www.sency.com/idol-top-9.htm

April 6, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  85. judi

I think the judges just don't want to admit they've made some mistakes, because I don't get the love for Katie at all. I thought she sounded flat and there was absolutely nothing special about her. She deserves to go.

April 6, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  86. mozart4898

There wasn't anything really technically wrong with Andrew's performance. That just didn't do it for me.

No Randy, it wasn't a little corny, it was quite corny...

April 6, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  87. willyboy

Andrew sounds like he's in an off strip Vegas lounge singing to 10 drunks-

April 6, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Just A Thought

I dont know, I was actually ok with Miley, she has alot of experience in alot of areas, but Adam? No, not buying into the hype! Once he came out; everything about him went downhill, his stage presence, his vocals, everything – it's all about him flaunting his "lifestyle choice"

April 6, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  89. willyboy

Adam Lambert as a mentor??? now I know therewon't be a 10th season.

April 6, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  90. protogere

Casey doing Jealous Guy? That was a Lennon only number I believe. Or do they get to pick from Lennon OR McCartney numbers and if so, why the songs they have chosen?!

April 6, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  91. mozart4898

@ venison – Yeah, that's the same list I'd seen. Those lists usually surface every week an hour or so before the show airs. I was anticipating a train wreck but two of the worst ones I expected to hear are already past and I'm not nauseous...yet.

April 6, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Just A Thought

Can't wait to hear Tim! That should be a great choice for him!

April 6, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  93. protogere

I missed that Just A Thought – wow, I just went and checked the news blips to see that. I liked Lambert, I think he has a lot of talent and has a lot of strengths and will likely go places, but not even a year since he lost AI and he will be a mentor? Yeah, that doesn't seem right. Not that he isn't talented and can't share with them a lot that he learned, but why aren't these kids getting mentors who have a strong and solid career history who can truly impart some valuable knowledge to them?

April 6, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  94. venison (philippines)

i got this from idolbloglive.com:

Aaron Kelly – Long and Winding Road
    Katie Stevens – Let it Be
    Andrew Garcia – Can’t Buy Me Love
    Mike Lynche – Eleanor Rigby
    Crystal Bowersox – Come Together
    Tim Urban – All My Loving
    Casey James – Jealous Guy
    Siobhan – Across the Universe
    Lee Dewyze – Hey Jude

well...

April 6, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  95. willyboy

Best katie's done so far! I hope Ellen's right, that she won't be bottom 3.

April 6, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  96. rhonda

Ok i must be off tonight, I think Katie is still weak, and should go home. She is not top 5 material compared to the other contestants

April 6, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  97. protogere

Wow, the thoughts I have on Katie I can't really write here – but the prom discussion was a bit odd.
    Lisa I didn't hear any R&B flair, I don't know. I certainly didn't think she made it her own or that it was the best performance ever for her. I wasn't enthused with Katie's arrangement, it was very mellow and nothing stood out. I didn't feel even any emotion from her though she said it meant so much to her as a song. I agree with you mozart, she needed to move, clutch the mic and share some passion.
    Meh.

April 6, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Just A Thought

I'd rather have no mentor, than Adam Lambert! Can't believe tAI is bringing back a runner up aka loser to be a mentor! If people were upset about Miley Cirus, they ought to be really PO'd about this! Not a #1 to his name! Barely even a year after his appearance on AI and a mentor – seriously! Should have a good spot next to Clay Aiken though on broadway!

April 6, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  99. mozart4898

Katie just surprised me. That wasn't GREAT but it was definitely a lot better than I thought. Sounded a little uncomfortable in the second verse but all in all, not bad.

Why didn't she take the mic off the stand though?? For those who talk about stage presence, it seemed like she was anchored in one spot the whole time. Think she might have seemed even better if she took the mic off and just relaxed.

April 6, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  100. rhonda

i loved aarons version, thought he did a great job. Kara is becoming quite unoriginal in her critique, not sure she is really helping the contestants

April 6, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  101. protogere

(It looks like Miami was Paul's last stop in the US, I thought he still had the Hollywood shows to come. But at least there was the nod to the contestants.)
    This Aaron bit reminds me of the year when Pickler was on and she went on for a whole bit imitating Yoda.
    I actually liked Aaron's arrangement to the Long Winding Road, almost a country flair to it. (The more I look at him the more he looks like Archuletta.) I thought he hit all the right notes and gave it a lot of emotion. I think the judges were unnecessarily harsh on him. It was really wrong for Kara to say 'to do this song you have to be great' – well you know what, you could say that about anyone who chooses to tackle a McCartney/Lennon number. I mean they aren't known as some of the most talented musicians ever for being crappy.
    I think he did better than they gave him credit for.

April 6, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  102. mozart4898

I think Aaron needs to sing songs that are more up-tempo. When he sings slower songs/ballads, he exposes the weaknesses he has – he either just loses pitch or sounds uncomfortable on longer notes. He's got a good voice but needs more time to totally develop it.

April 6, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Adrian Cronauer

Paul McCartney wouldn't be caught dead on American Idol,

April 6, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  104. mozart4898

So no mentor? Eh, oh well. Could take them or leave them generally anyways.

I've seen the song list on another website and... *gulp* that's all I'll say...

April 6, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |